IMG_2676.gif
IMG_0960 (resized).jpeg
image1 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
GnRAllenWrenchMod (resized).jpg
200w.gif
IMG_2222 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Feature matrix listing differences for each edition. Posted by Dallas_Pin (3 years ago)

Post #414 GNR Manual - link to JJP site Posted by knobstone (3 years ago)

Post #434 Full Song List Posted by Concretehardt (3 years ago)

Post #755 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Guitar Neck Lock Release tip Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #1017 TECH: LIGHTING. Troubleshooting spot light motion issues Posted by wdbthree (3 years ago)

Post #3837 How to use jukebox mode Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #4098 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Flipper adjustment tips Posted by Eskaybee (3 years ago)

Post #5052 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Shooter rod power. Change barrel spring. Posted by WannaPinball (3 years ago)

Post #5235 Scorbit jjGnR integration FAQ Posted by jsa (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mutterfudder.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12626 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

THANK YOU! I thought I remembered seeing a way to skip it somewhere else before, but forgot to look or ask. Now I can take advantage of an easier option instead trying to lock all the balls!

The one thing I absolutely hate in the current rule set is how Mystery can start song for you. This could be a result of spotting members or just ā€œstart songā€. Given how much work I have to do to get decent song levels and not start a song before Iā€™m done, itā€™s so demoralizing to have the song start before ready when the scoop isnā€™t lit yet. Wish there was a way to abort song start (at least for times when itā€™s starting out of my control. My own damn fault if I hit the scoop when itā€™s lit).

2 weeks later
#13123 2 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

is there a way to do this on the SE?

No power chords on the SE, so nope. Not applicable.

#13336 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Regarding beta code, do you have to sign up for the JJP beta program to download beta code or is there just a toggle in the game menu to download beta code over WiFi?

Toggle on the game will present you with a beta agreement to join the beta program. You accept the agreement by hitting start. After that, the game will look to the beta channel for updates -- you will just update to the beta code from the same wifi update mechanism as before.

You can also see the JJP beta post for how to join the beta chat, if you're so inclined: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-open-beta-program

3 weeks later
#14357 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

After having a bunch of games now I have a couple of questions:
#1 how much song value do you lose if you decide to choose a different song to play?
#2 What does band frenzy do?

It's pretty much impossible to answer #1 at this point as song value doesn't appear anywhere other than in the song. I think a few people have mentioned it's in the instant info, but if that's the case, I can't find it. But I think what Sevenrites posted is the best info we have.

Band frenzy does a switch frenzy mode to add value to the jackpot at a fast clip. All switches add value to the song jackpot. Getting the ball through spinners and in the pops is probably the best way to boost it in short order.

#14496 2 years ago

Since we keep talking about the magnet above the Axl lanes, what exactly causes that to grab the ball? it seems like maybe once at the start of the game and once after a song mine will grab it, but that's about it. Is there something that's supposed to get it to stop there?

1 year later
#26021 8 months ago
Quoted from DKong:

So is this at the very start of the Wizard mode, I have tried a couple of times quickly and it doesn't seem to work (or do I need to hold it longer)

It's anytime during the ball when the scoop is lit for an album mode. You can do it while the ball is still in the shooter lane.

They can be lucrative IF you can complete them AND you get a platinum record for that album ahead of playing them. But you're far better off skipping them. Sadly, like most modes in this game.

4 weeks later
#26166 7 months ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Just curious - what exactly are you hoping for with a new official GNR code update? All I see from you is complaints about lack of updates. Personally, I donā€™t think itā€™s bad at all in itsā€™ current state and the game is a hell of a lot of fun- especially the beta code. Is it a scoring issue or something?

Minor/personal preference stuff:

- Some of the song modes have much harder shots than others and aren't score balanced for their difficulty.
- Song Level and its impact on score/jackpot escalations isn't shown anywhere (would be a nice add to the tutorials section).
- Some song effects leave the playfield completely dark. This looks "cool" but nothing more rage inducing than draining out because all 200 twinkly lights went out for 3s.
- Would be nice to have collected badges faster than instant info, would be great to line the ones you have above the score area for those of us who know them all by heart now.

Medium priority:
- Song scoring/difficulty pass. Hard shots should complete levels sooner, and be worth more points.
- Album modes need a score boost. Not worth playing at all unless platinum albums have been achieved, and even then, it's not worth the additional risk when songs give you more safety/ball save/points.
- Value increase of mini multiballs should be shown (jackpots award +x song level).
- Some lower quality badges could be rebalanced. Badge order could be balanced.
- I like Scorbit, but if you're ripping it out, you better have something similar for me. Nothing really there.
- Would be nice to optionally buy the newer power driver boards from TS4/Godfather that make flippers not feel like overcooked spaghetti. Precision flippers help but are not a solution.

High priority:
- Song Level isn't anywhere on the screen unless in song mode. At the LEAST it should be in instant info, but it really should be on the score section of the screen at all times. You can't determine if your song level is high enough for your liking before starting a song, or if you should work towards that last mini MB before starting your song. Very important in competitive settings.
- There absolutely should not be "start song" as a mystery mode. It's detrimental to be playing and not prepared to lock songs, and then you have to get out quick and requalify everything if the value isn't there. If you're completely averse to that for some reason...
- You need to be able to abort songs when going into the scoop. See above. Let me hold the action button and kick the ball back to me. Make me requalify some band members as a penalty if you must. Fine. Whatever.
- The game has absolutely no competition/remove randomness settings whatsoever. Players in a competition should have fixed order of scoop awards at the least, and some other minor settings would be appreciated as well.

It sucks because the game can do a lot of interesting and really rad things, but there's way way too many things that needed more polish. Not showing the most important scoring number anywhere before starting a song is just straight dumb. And I realize that most folks don't care about score balance and competition, but most every good game by any measure has them. This is an area where Stern, Bally, and Williams to name a few are just head and shoulders above JJP (and Spooky, but that's another thread).

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26168 7 months ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Solid post and I agree with many aspects you mentioned. Scoring can be a tad unbalanced in certain areas - no big deal. Weā€™ll get there eventually.

I hope so! I know "coding is easy" is bs, but I'd really like JJP to take one more pass at some of the more egregious issues so that the game can be in a great place for the long haul. Here's hoping!

#26180 7 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Great list! Excellent points.
I just want to add this complaint as well. The 4 booster multiballs pretty much suck, are boring, and come across as pointless.
Make Some Noise Multiball, Throw the Lights Multiball, Ignite the Flames Multiball, and Turn it Up! Multiball all suck are boring soulless modes. No game should give the player a feeling of giving out random multiballs but GNR excels at it. Each of those 4 multiballs should be rewritten to be more meaningful, with actual mode choreography, and you know actually be fun.

Yeah, I agree -- they are a bit bland for how important they are. I have a lot of new players play mine and go "what's going on? what do I do? WHY am I in multiball?!" but as a component to building song value they're important and -- dare I say -- fun in a competitive game. The biggest problem I have is the game doesn't tie/link them to the important thing you SHOULD care about, which is song level.

1 month later
#26583 6 months ago

When you inevitably hit the action button too many times and scroll past the patch you want, you can hold the left flipper in and hit the action button and the patches will scroll in reverse. Can do it in game too, if you trap up on the left

I agree with jaygee on the patches for scoring. Nothing rockets jackpot value more than band frenzy. You may also prioritize Shirt/Poster for half decay of rock meter after the sets above.

#26586 6 months ago
Quoted from Jaygee77:

While on the topic of Band Frenzy... Is that a flat 20-second window, or can it be extended by hitting shots? I was playing around in the settings menu, and saw it was set at 20 seconds as a default, but when I'm mid-song and it hits, it feels like longer than that.

My experience (not a confirmation) but it seems to be a static amount of time. There's for sure a time dilation/expansion effect in play when in a song, so I can't say for sure. I did look back on some super old streams I did and in songs where I survived the frenzy they seem to be about 19-20 seconds each regardless of progress, so ... I think you're spot on there.

Frenzy tip: hit the center spinner shot as a park/release valve as much as possible during frenzy. Switch hits all add up to the jackpot value, and nothing better than ripping that spinner and then flying right in to the pops. Good luck.

#26623 6 months ago
Quoted from superNoid:

Hey GnR owners, my brother isn't on pinside but owns a GnR. He's having an issue with his shooter rod. When it strikes the ball to launch it sounds like its hitting the ball far off center and the ball it then hitting walls and not getting into the playfield well. I haven't seen in person but I plan to go diagnose and fix myself.
Curious if anyone has seen this before and if so, best quick solution? New rod? Spring? adjustments to align?

I'd add that this has to be the easiest game I've ever owned to accidentally sheer off the tip of the shooter rubber on when raising/lowering the playfield. If it sounds weird and is super inconsistent, just do a quick look at the shooter tip to see if it came off. I have to remind myself every time I lift the damn thing to be careful.

1 month later
#27047 4 months ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni2:

EXTRA BALL>Difficulty (NO JETS ALLOWED, NO JETS OR LOOPS ALLOWED, LIT ALWAYS)
I set this to LIT ALWAYS and didnā€™t notice anything

When extra ball lights it lights on the Axl lanes up near the pops. By default, if the ball hits the pops, the light turns off for a little so you can't collect it by having the pop fire the ball through the lane. Loops setting would also do it by hitting the loops I'd assume. Then the only way to get an extra would be a clean shot from a flipper through the X lane. Lit always would turn those features off.

1 week later
#27179 3 months ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni2:

You are correct sir! Iā€™m more surprised that if a 4943 is for sale on Pinside, then JJP should be sold out and not listing them for sale anymore. I agree 5K isnā€™t really limited, but Iā€™m actually looking for an official sign that these are no longer being manufactured from JJP. Iā€™m under the impression theyā€™re done

1st hand anecdote and 2nd hand "Friend of a Friend of a ..." but I believe the number plates are someone random in the grand scheme of things. I have a friend who received her LE pretty early on in the run and it had something like 1700's number on the plate. I've also heard from others that the plates are essentially random -- they don't follow build order or serial number order or anything like that.

That's not to say JJP didn't build or sell through 5k of these (I don't think that's accurate myself, but that's just a hunch backed by nothing concrete), but the serial/build date is probably a better indicator (though those are hard to track on a grand scale).

3 weeks later
#27489 84 days ago
Quoted from Guitarpinman:

So what's the general consensus re; if JJP will release any more code updates?

I think there's a lot of people kicking the tires and hoping... that said, you should expect no major code changes. If nothing comes, you can be content with knowing that you felt that was the case. If something comes, what a happy surprise.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 210.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

ā‚¬ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 11,000.00
7,998 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Georgetown, KY
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ardmore, PA
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mutterfudder.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread?tu=mutterfudder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.