IMG_2002 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg
1C8AE00A-E658-441F-8C85-35F46CC105C1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3148 (resized).jpeg
20240407_215717 (resized).jpg
20240407_215654 (resized).jpg
20240407_215630 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Feature matrix listing differences for each edition. Posted by Dallas_Pin (3 years ago)

Post #414 GNR Manual - link to JJP site Posted by knobstone (3 years ago)

Post #434 Full Song List Posted by Concretehardt (3 years ago)

Post #755 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Guitar Neck Lock Release tip Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #1017 TECH: LIGHTING. Troubleshooting spot light motion issues Posted by wdbthree (3 years ago)

Post #3837 How to use jukebox mode Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #4098 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Flipper adjustment tips Posted by Eskaybee (3 years ago)

Post #5052 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Shooter rod power. Change barrel spring. Posted by WannaPinball (3 years ago)

Post #5235 Scorbit jjGnR integration FAQ Posted by jsa (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#232 3 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

I’m really curious to see if Stern is going to put in the effort with Zeppelin to compete with GnR.
Time will tell.

Unless Jimmy Page is a pinhead and is helping Steve Ritchie design the game then there's no way. Zeppelin is likely just as restrictive with licensing (if not more) than the Beatles.

#239 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

yesterday i was anxious all day. felt like a kid on christmas morning when i saw the GNR reveal i was like everyone else and scrambling to get a game. was it gonna be a LE or a CE?
where am i gonna get the money? should i sell some pins? go in the shoebox? i really didnt like the thoughts going thru my head. i felt i had lost control. took a breath and went to my arcade. flipped on my maverick pin and plunged the silver ball. waited the 10 seconds for the old belt to drive the paddle wheel around so i could get my ball back. smile to my face and back to reality. lately its always about the new pin coming out. more lights, more bling, more fanfare. what the hell was i doing. 5000 LE’s and plenty of time to order. played a few games and back down to earth. today i am looking forward to my friend fast eddie coming to my house with a FIRE! i purchased from another pinsider sagejr and who i consider a friend now. much much cheaper and more special to me than many NIB.
i see an LE in the future but when i am ready.

I agree that its smart to take a step back and have a little patience. Theme integration and presentation look off the charts awesome but I owe it to myself to play the game (and become acquainted with the rules) before I plunk down that kind of cash. It does look fantastic at first glance though and I have no doubt that JJP has a hit on their hands!

#280 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

That literally killed POTC JJP for me. Too much MB. I played the game tonight. MB is heavy for sure but hopefully it gets toned down a little with patches. You can also start a song I believe without MB but score wise, you would be silly to do so.

How did the game shoot? Were the shots kinetically satisfying? Is there a good mix of easy and tough shots?

#285 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

wrapping up some work - will post my thoughts soon but to summarize.....
If you're a GnR fan, this is a great game. If you don't care about the band, I can see people picking this game apart. By no means is this game (IMO - taking the GnR fanboy blinders off) one that will resonate with non GnR fans simply b/c of it's great gameplay or toys. For me, a GnR fan - it's a must have.

Thanks man! I'm a pretty big GNR fan so I'll likely pick one up at some point primarily because of how well they nailed the theme and it seems like the game would be as much fun to watch and listen to as to play. If anything it would make a great change of pace game in my lineup as most of my other games are fast, flow, short ball time games. This game seems more stop and go, and the timed features of the songs/modes seems interesting as well. Seems like its more about keeping the ball in play and shooting areas of the playfield vs. Precision shooting on a game like JP2. It definitely doesn't seem like a typical cookie cutter game which is a good thing.

#323 3 years ago
Quoted from Waldo:

So each machine will have a random platinum spinning record. Bet Pinside will have a value associated with each record. Like LE for sale. Appetite For Destruction version.

Owners with Spaghetti Incident or Chinese Democracy will be treated like peasants

1 week later
#922 3 years ago

Can anyone explain how the "travel" inserts work and how they factor into the rule-set?

#1105 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

I just heard 2,000 GNR LE’s sold in 10 days

Between all the versions they likely have more games sold than the entire Data East GNR run! Also more than all Dialed In and JPOTC games combined. This is great for JJP! I just hope they can build them fast enough.

#1177 3 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

I can finally show off my christmas present. Now I just have to decide if it actually goes on my game or in the shelf next to the gsme.
"To Chirstopher, R & F'n R! Slash 2019"
[quoted image]

Awesome gift!! With little kids the safest place will be inside your game. Your bro knocked this game out of the park!

#1215 3 years ago

In my college days (1995-1999) I used to go see Prince play at his recording studio (Paisley Park) on a regular basis. -I had a buddy that was on a secret invite list. It cost a whopping $6 to get in which covered non-alcoholic refreshments, but you had to leave your phone/electronics in the car and go through a metal detector/pat down before entering. Those were fun times. Usually the performance didn't start until after 1a.m. and I remember that the sun was often up by the time it was time to go home.

#1218 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

So Wish I could have gone to one of those parties. Recently took my wife on the tour of Paisley Park studios and they have a Strict No Phones policy. Your phone is collected and put in a lock bag on entry. What a cool place to visit though.

You never knew what you were going to get with the Paisley parties. It was usually something you'd find out about last minute and there were times we'd make the hour drive from where I went to school, wait in the parking lot for hours to get let in and go through security and just watch his band rehearse a handful of new songs (without Prince) over and over for hours. I remember one time where Prince only played the drums and didn't sing the whole night. Other times you'd see a full blown concert or even see guest performers with him. It really just depended on what kind of mood he was in. I do wish I had some pics or video to remember them by, but those were the rules. I do still have a Jehovah's Witness flyer that he personally handed me at one of the shows. I would love to see a Prince pinball machine some day. I've seen a lot of bands and musicians live, and I have never seen a more talented performer.

#1562 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It already does. It’s just not a hurry up. It’s takes a ton of work to build up a massive one. I’d rather it stay full value.

Instead of a hurry-up where the value goes down as the time expires, you could have one that raises the value on a 10 second timer. The closer you hit the scoop to "0" the higher the jackpot value. If you miss, you lose everything...

1 month later
#3223 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

If you want to hear a stern fanboy talk total crap about GNR then watch this .
Everyone is more than entitled to have their own opinion and not to like a game .
But to hear the garbage he's spews , trying to put down the game is just ridiculous .
He also fails to mention that Turtles and Avengers have way more reported issues than GNR.
But as a stern fanboy , you would expect that .

You must not have listened to the episode after he got his TMNT LE and talked at length about his issues with the game including the diverter mech. I appreciate hearing feedback both good and bad on a game. If all we heard was the positive stuff we wouldn't see improvements in software (rules) and hardware. I think critical voices are necessary in pinball.

1 week later
#3638 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Sweet thanks! Shirt ordered.

If you buy the shirt you have to get the requisite sleeve tats for sporting it. . Could get expensive!

Screenshot_20201209-103912_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201209-103912_Chrome (resized).jpg
2 months later
#5949 3 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

Nice write-up MT45 and I bet that sounds really great. It looks great too.
As you did, I also noticed that the line-out sound level coming off the PC's motherboard is really low. However Bluetooth is not, in fact it is about twice as strong per my highly unscientific analysis which involved looking at where the on-screen horizontal volume-slider level needs to be set when using line-out in order for it to approximate what you get when connected via Bluetooth. In essence, if you put the line-out volume to 98% the Bluetooth will match it when it is set to about 50%. No idea what's going on there, but yeah.
FWIW, for my solution, and because the LEs lack that sweet mounting plate that you have on your CE, I found an amplified sound bar (on Amazon: amazon.com link » ) that is 30" across and sits almost even with the width of the head itself on its small rubber feet. Best I could do, but still a notable improvement over stock. It also comes with a wireless 'woofer' (I think the driver is 5" so yeah, won't call it a subwoofer but at least it makes itself heard) while also allowing for an external powered sub, like the Polks that are popular here, to also be connected and active at the same time as all the rest which was perfect for what I needed.
Yours sure looks sweet
[quoted image]

Those shot glasses are raising my anxiety level. Hope you have them fastened down well with velcro.

6 months later
#13702 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

With the Pirates crew still waiting on they’re update I’m guessing it’s going to be awile.

I would think that GNR would be a far higher priority for them to release code since they are actively selling and manufacturing them right now. There's really no incentive for them to allocate any resources to Pirates at this point.

4 months later
#18884 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Wow. Steep!
Anyone in USA paying sales tax on their pin?

I had to pay State sales tax (5.5%) on my last couple NIB games.

#18898 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Get a new distributor! Shameful!

I've got a great distributor who is just playing by the rules. The service and price even after tax is still well worth it for me.

1 week later
#19146 2 years ago

I picked up my GNRLE yesterday after a long wait and it is well worth it! This game rocks in a home environment. I installed the Pinwoofer system this morning which made it sound even better. Now I need to figure out all of the strategies on how to play it.

The playfield on mine looks great out of the box and it plays well too. I'm sure I'll need to do a few tweaks but I'm overall happy with how the game currently plays.

I did notice one spot where the ball gets stuck on the left tine of the bass wireform. I did a search and saw others here with a similar issue but haven't found a solution yet.

20220108_194713 (resized).jpg20220108_194713 (resized).jpg20220109_092539 (resized).jpg20220109_092539 (resized).jpg20220109_130749 (resized).jpg20220109_130749 (resized).jpg
#19152 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

You need to remove the wireform and bend down the 2 middle fingers. It's sitting too high, as was mine. No issues since 2nd day now, 400 + plays. Set it on a flat surface to confirm , but pretty sure this is the cause.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Try loosening the stars that direct the ball and see if that's enough to not rob the ball of the momentum to get over that little hump.

Thanks guys! I ended up removing the wireform and basically straightened out the top (bent the tines up slightly) of it to reduce the bend. It works perfectly now with no ball trap.

#19326 2 years ago
Quoted from jamieflowers:

Does anyone need a set of Art Blades? I mistakenly ordered a second set from Melissa at Cointaker and she graciously said she would take them back but honestly it was my mistake and I don't want it to cost them money. $120 shipped in the same box they shipped it to me. PM if you are interested.

Pm sent

#19473 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I was listening to an interview with Eric and Keith and it reminded me about their primary design focus...to create a concert vibe/experience (which they've done a great job of). Stern has produced a lot of beloved music pins, but none of them really have the concert vibe/experience like GNR. Stern's games are great games, but lack the sizzle of what JJP has pulled off. Unfortunately, from my perspective, they need to revisit the rules/scoring and "dial it in" as a game. Right now, playing GNR is a state-of-the-art pinball experience, not as enjoyable as a game. Games should reward you for good play, and I rarely feel like my play influences the score enough to really care. After 4 weeks with it, great experience, not-so-great game. Would really love to hear what the pro pinball players think of this game.

While I hope we get another update that improves scoring in the album modes and allows you to either cancel/disable/stack Slash Solo, the game is providing the excitement and fun that I expect from it in my line-up. After owning an ACDC Premium for 5+ years I was looking for a modern game that offered a similar experience. I loved my ACDC Premium and put thousands of plays on it but it was time to try something new so I sold it to fund my GNRLE. Both games are one dimensional and scoring primarily focuses on the song jackpot and risk/reward. Both games can be as frustrating as they can be fun. I wouldn't want to own GNR in a <3 pin collection because it isn't balanced enough in a small line-up but it's fun for what it is which is a concert experience that's all based on risk/reward. I'm having a ton of fun with it!

#19681 2 years ago
Quoted from jacksparrow0112:

Just got my poster art side blades. Very excited to install. I have never done art blades before. I believe the top recommendation is the “wet method”. Is there a video out there that is a good reference. Don’t want to mess this install up. Thanks!

I just installed mine on Friday and just used glass cleaner to spray them down with. They aren't quite as slippery as soap and water but it was enough to be able to slide them around enough to install them.

#19701 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ah! It looks like the lockdown bar bolts are way high. Maybe they're causing it as the glass is put in and out.

I just opened a December build and my bolts were too high and would have scratched the glass if I hadn't noticed it right away.

1 week later
#20054 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

That sucks if it's a good game.... I've seen only 2 posts on this happening before but you've definitely perfected the unicorn shot!

Mine does this occasionally but it can be freed with a good forward nudge. If that doesn't work maybe you could try adding a washer or two to thr habitual to raise it up a bit.

2 weeks later
#20509 2 years ago
Quoted from DKong:

Ok whats going on here, did this wire form break ?[quoted image]

Won't it just pop back into the hole? The side that activates the switch appears to be the other side of the gate.

1 week later
#20667 2 years ago

My December run LE looks perfect after close to 500 plays.

1 week later
#20737 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This pin's like a year and a half old, new pins are out that are well-received, so attention has shifted to those honeymoons. Also, the pandemic is calming down so people are starting to get out more. It's the natural way of things. Activity can't stay red-hot like it's been in this thread forever.

Seems like the perfect time to release a code update and get people talking about the game more!

#20740 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Would be nice, but probably piss off jjPotC fans that have been waiting a LONG time for their update.
Also, while we're talking jjGnR update, I hope Hogbog asks pinball_keefer or whoever's doing the update to fix the "underwear" badge to "panties." Women's underwear can refer to bra or panties or both. Bra is a specific kind of women's underwear. Panties are another. Having a Bra/Underwear badge set is dumb. It should be Bra/Panties so it at least makes sense.

The difference is that they aren't making JJPOTC any more and still have another 1400+ GNR pins to sell before they wrap up the entire 5000 pin run. Makes sense to release code for the pin they're actually still selling first.

2 weeks later
#20970 2 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Hmm, that's interesting. When you say "restarting," do you mean aborting a game by entering the menu and starting over?

I've been having the same issue, and quite often it is after a game restart (holding start button after a bad ball one) but happens quite frequently at other times as well.-starting a 2nd game, etc. I'll scan the barcode with the app and it just sits there waiting without going through the process of starting the game on the app. I've tried both soft and hard closing the app and it doesn't help. Usually a full phone reboot is the only thing that fixes it.

1 week later
#21165 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

They almost have to, they said 5000. Can’t really see them not doing it. This game is so awesome I’ve had FOMO for the last few months now on buying a second one just to keep it NIB.

They also said 5000 Wonka LE's and I don't think they are anywhere close to that. GnR probably has a decent chance though. I think it largely depends on when they start making Toy Story's.

4 months later
#22650 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I was thinking about it. Kinda torn.
On one hand, having the spare on ice means you can just beat the living crap out of what you've got until it's time to sell. And even then, maybe the buyer would rather do the same knowing they can refresh it when they want.

Unless Chris Hutchins or someone reputable is doing the swap I think a lot of buyers will be turned off by a game that has an owner swapped playfield on a game like GNR. There's the potential that it won't be put back together quite right. I doubt more than a couple people will follow through on the swap. Just keep the playfield as a wall hanger.

#22670 1 year ago

The changelog just mentions that it is updating the updater. Maybe in preparation for a more significant future update?

20220821_182838 (resized).jpg20220821_182838 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#23003 1 year ago
Quoted from SuperMas77:

Absolutely! The upper playfield and hotrail lightshow is what makes this game special. Don't cheap out, wait until you have the cash on hand, you'll regret the SE and spend time convincing yourself that you made a good choice because it is rarest of them all. There were only a handful made becasue it sucks that bad compared to the LE.
I might be wrong, but I think the SE was launched at a $8500 price tag. You can get a used stock LE for around $9500. So, if you are saving 2.5-3K on an SE then you might ask yourself 'Why are SEs priced so low?' Because they are the 'Rarest' or because they 'Suck'???

The SE was launched at a $6750 price tag. Hard to believe how much prices have risen in 2 years.

Screenshot_20221005-210652_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221005-210652_Chrome (resized).jpg
1 month later
#23530 1 year ago

I just noticed that Beta update 32 is out. Installing now and will see if there are any noticeable differences.

2 weeks later
#23689 1 year ago

Is there a setting that allows you to randomize the first song that plays after booting up the game. I like Estranged, but would prefer to see more variety.

#23691 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I'm confused. Is there a setting to make it launch into jukebox mode on boot up?

My attract mode is set to go into jukebox "shuffle" mode, but when I bootup the game the first song that always plays in attract mode is Estranged. Is that not the case for everyone?

The jukebox setting is under system-sounds I believe in the menu. It seems to be random besides the initial song always being Estranged after booting up the game.

#23693 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

This sounds like a bug. Are you on latest beta 32?
I won't be able to try it till tomorrow but if someone can chime in on this answer .. and preferably if you're on the latest beta just to make sure it wasn't fixed or known bug that was already that would be ideal. But even at 1.25 production code test will be valuable information.
if It is reproducible on beta32 it should be reported to JJP.

I'm on beta32 currently but my game did this even on the 1.25 prod code since I bought the machine NIB.

2 months later
#24262 1 year ago

KOHD and Yesterdays were really the only charted hits that are missing besides some of the covers on Spaghetti Incident.

#24285 1 year ago
Quoted from mostater:

Knockin on Heaven's Door and Yesterday would have been great to have. Were either of those songs played on the Not in this Lifetime tour.

I think this is an awesome approach to introduce noobs. Thanks for sharing this. I'm definitely going to borrow this approach and simple instructions

Yes, both songs were regularly played on their set-list. I can understand why KOHD wasn't included since it's a Bob Dylan song and would have needed additional approval and licensing, but Yesterdays and Used to Lover her are the only originals that seem to be omitted from the game.

setlist (resized).pngsetlist (resized).png

1 week later
#24387 1 year ago

Looks like beta 33 was released. I'm installing it now.

#24390 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Any notes on the changes .

The notes just listed some minor non gameplay related changes. After playing a couple games though It seems there may be some pretty big scoring related changes. I noticed my non jackpot song scoring was much higher and I also scored a 24 million Thirst for Carnage score. I put up 9 million in Paradise City even though i missed a 58 million jackpot. I need to play more but my early impression is that this update answered a lot of our score balancing wishes!

20230218_101025 (resized).jpg20230218_101025 (resized).jpg
#24402 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

My attract mode is set to go into jukebox "shuffle" mode, but when I bootup the game the first song that always plays in attract mode is Estranged. Is that not the case for everyone?
The jukebox setting is under system-sounds I believe in the menu. It seems to be random besides the initial song always being Estranged after booting up the game.

I installed Beta 33 and that seems to have fixed the issue where "Estranged" is always the first song that plays when the game boots up. I get random songs now at startup.

2 weeks later
#24680 1 year ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Same here. Estranged and Better were both songs I had no idea existed until this pin. Now they're 2 of my favorites. Definitely a change of pace from the Appetite for Destruction days, but damn good songs.

You guys need to check out the Estranged music video from back in the day. One of the most expensive ever! Man I miss the days when MTV showed music videos. GNR had some great ones!

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7xyadx/guns-n-roses-estranged-video-25-years-later

1 week later
#24911 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Anybody hear Jack at the TPF seminar mention how many GnR’s they’ve sold?

He said over 5000 GNR's but im pretty sure that included all versions.

#24912 1 year ago

I was listening to Kaneda's Saturday morning TPF walk through and he talked to Neil McRae who mentioned a rumor that kit might be coming out to improve the flippers on past JJP games including GNR. He also mentioned that there is a GNR at Enterium in Chicago that is using the new flipper technology. I hope the rumor proves to be true!

#24917 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Who does Neil McRae represent?
I thought maybe CGC but not sure.
If Kaneda is right this time(?)this is good news.More for my GnR then WW.

I don't think he represents any company, he's just a pinball fanatic from the UK that's at TPF that seems to be in the know on things.

#24918 1 year ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

There already is a kit. It’s called Precision Flippers

I have a set of Precision Halo's on my GNR and they make a huge difference, but the flippers still don't feel as good as Godfather's do.

1 month later
#25449 11 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You can't do it that way because you're comparing unequal games with different price points. You have to do it as a percentage of value.
A Bond pro is ~$7000. A GnR LE was $10,500 or $11,000, depending on when you bought them. If they're down $3k (looks more like $2-$2.5k, depending on when you bought, but let's say your $3k), that's ~25%. Bond Pros can be had for ~$6-6.2k used (if they sell at all, lots of "not solds" in the archive), which is -15% already, and it's very new compared to a 3 year old GnR.
Thunderbirds are down about 50% from initial price, so that's a trainwreck, but one I am curious to own on the cheap. If you have one, PM me. I feel like I have to play one to know how of its legendary awfulness firsthand.

Didn't most people buy in on GNRLE at that $9500 price? I know it took well over a year to get through that first month's orders (mine included). Still a sizeable drop but I wouldn't have been a buyer at $10.5k or $11k.

3 months later
#26033 7 months ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

If you are playing the beta code.. is it stable? I was hesitant to put beta code on the machine but, its looking like its all we may get..
Let me know what you guys think.

Beta code has been very reliable for me. No issues. I wouldn't hesitate to run it and get improved light shows and bug fixes over the stock code. The equalizer is also nice to have.

3 weeks later
#26171 7 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

We are past eventually. When will we get there? It's now been 700 days since a GNR code update. This wait is insane. No more JJP's for me until the code situation turns around.
[quoted image]

700 days is insanity... Why put internet connectivity in a game if you're not going to use it? I hope they can eventually get it together and finish the code and bring back a replacement for Scorbit. If they aren't going to support their code than I'm not going to support them. I don't care what their future games are, they are an easy pass.

1 week later
#26260 6 months ago

GnR 2.0 is released! Not sure if this is much different than Beta 35 but we have new code.

Screenshot_20230925-163218_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230925-163218_Facebook (resized).jpg
#26263 6 months ago

Just got word from my distributor (Kingpin games) that prod version 2.0 is the same as beta 35. The good news is that this is likely a necessary step before putting out another update.

20230925_164155 (resized).jpg20230925_164155 (resized).jpg

#26272 6 months ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

I'm wondering if you have to opt out of the beta to install the public update?

I tried this and it doesn't make a difference if you are on beta 35. Beta 35=2.0. I really hope this isn't the end of updates for this game.

3 months later
#27213 3 months ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

I updated mine 4 months ago. Flippers are stronger and don’t loose power.

Do your GNR flippers feel like Godfather or Elton John flippers now? Is the mushiness gone? Tempted to pick this board up if it's the miracle fix we've been waiting for.

1 week later
#27310 88 days ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Is this IO board in the back box? Any pics with it installed, ie how many wires, pins, effort, etc… is involved with the swap out?

Yes, it's the main board I'm the backbox and shouldn't be difficult to install. It's just a matter of disconnecting the connectors, unscrewing the old board and then swapping the new board in its place. I would just make sure to take pics to make sure you get the connectors plugged in correctly to the new board.

I just ordered and will have one on the way! It's not cheap but I have no plans to sell this game and if it improves flipper feel I think it's worth it.

Also, I noticed that my GNR board looks different than Trojanlaw It shows as a revision B GNR board.

20240118_120029 (resized).jpg20240118_120029 (resized).jpg

#27316 88 days ago
Quoted from Billman:

Has anyone upgraded GnR with the Pinwoofer system? Curious to hear opinions/reviews.

The Pinwoofer system is a huge upgrade on GNR. I wasn't impressed with the stock sound system, the sound is much more "full" with the Pinwoofer system. This is how a music pin should sound.

#27319 88 days ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Looks like they were changing the GnR boards during production to find the secret sauce, That revision B looks to be 4001-06 versus the 7, 8, 9 and FP to follow

I also noticed that the rev B also has surface mount resistors near the caps instead of through-hole.

#27325 88 days ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Do you have to do any settings or high score savings before swapping out boards?

No, that wouldn't be necessary

#27328 88 days ago
Quoted from DKong:

Do you have a link to the kit needed please ? Is it only the subwoofer or do you upgrade the other speakers as well.
Thanks

It's the sub, tweeters and an Amp in a kit.

https://pinwoofer.com/pinwoofer-jjp-super-kit/

#27357 83 days ago

Been playing this game a lot since I got the new I/O board yesterday. Between the new board, Precision flippers, and Pinwoofer audio system it's really renewed my love for this game. The gameplay is really fast and improved now and with the audio cranked there really is no other band themed pin that gives you this experience. The attention to detail and use of assets on this game is amazing as well as the sound and light show, and now we finally have good feeling flippers and fast gameplay. Also, happy birthday to Eric Hogbog and thank you for designing such an incredible game!

#27360 83 days ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

If you haven't added a sub woofer, do so. It is well worth the investment. Plus you can piggyback another pin on it. I added TH and it really made both machines another level.

I have the Pinwoofer kit and I also have an external Polk PSW10 attached to my game. It sounds incredible!

#27368 83 days ago
Quoted from Slaitster:

I'm really tempted to take the plunge on it. The sluggish flippers is my only real gripe about the game. Are precision flippers really necessary with this new board?

They probably aren't necessary but they still will help. If I had to rate the flipper feel of GNR I would put the stock flippers/board at a 4/10. Adding just the precision flippers I'd rate it as a 6/10, and now with the new IO board and Precision flippers I'd rate it as an 8/10 which I'm happy with. They have great power and little fade now but i still dont love the feel. I feel similarily about CGC flippers which just feel a bit off for me. Id say they feel pretty close to American Pinball flippers now. My guess is that it would still be about a 7/10 with just the I/O board and no precision flippers. For comparison I'd rate Elton John as a 9/10 with standard flips, and Stern and WPC a 10/10.

#27372 83 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well 8/10 is a BIG difference from 4/10
The precision flippers def improved the play a lot
Also have the fans.
GF is Stern equivalent for me

I'd say these are a step below GF. Really close to Toy Story feel. TS and GF (and GNR now) have the same board and coils but for some reason GF flippers just feel a little bit better.

1 month later
#27700 46 days ago
Quoted from Trojanlaw:

I can confirm it as a fresh quote because I sent him my high scores in response to his request just a few days ago.

Then why does it show that his account hasn't been active since December?

keefer (resized).pngkeefer (resized).png
#27718 45 days ago

Only have one game in on beta 40 but it definitely seems to have higher song scoring which adds to the fun. Thanks Keith and team for going back and working on the score balancing. And the Biggest Loser champ is a welcome addition.

20240301_171109 (resized).jpg20240301_171109 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#27890 36 days ago
Quoted from atg1469:

I’m on Beta 40 now, but the only update I’m seeing on my end is to 2.01. Is there another way im supposed to download the new beta code? Pretty sure it just updated automatically the last time.

Same boat. I'm on b40 and only see 2.01 as an available update. Guess I'll hold off for now.

2 weeks later
#28091 18 days ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Beta 43 out!
Work started on slash solo![quoted image]

Played a few games on Beta 43 and really like the new changes. They seem to have dialed down song jackpot scoring a bit and Slash Solo is finally fixed! It's no longer worthless and I averaged close to 30 million the few times I played it. I'm starting to run out of things to complain about on this game. Lol. The flippers are now fixed, Slash Solo is fixed, Album modes are for more lucrative, and songs are more exciting to play. The biggest loser champ is also a fun addition. The song jackpot build-up display isn't quite working right yet but I'm sure they'll get that squared away in future updates. Keep up the good work JJP! This was a game I was contemplating selling last year because I hated the flipper feel and unbalanced scoring but the game has really come back to life with these new updates and I'm having a lot of fun playing it again!

1 week later
#28153 11 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Art adhesion to the wood is one of the main issues (a Mirco special!), and you won't really know until you start taking hardware off the PF and find out that the art comes with them. It can look fine overall and still be affected. ALL the ones pre Aug 2022 are suspect.

I'm pretty sure it was July/August 2021 when the playfield issue was resolved. I remember following it closely and I purposely delayed my game until January 2022 (Dec 2021 build) and it has been perfect.

#28175 10 days ago

The new beta 44 is so good! Love that the song value display in the build-up phase now works and they got rid of the Mystery award forcing you to start a song. Slash Solo is actually fun and rewarding to play now and the mini wizard modes are now well worth playing. Just put up my best TFC mode on stock settings. Songs are still worth a lot but they have brought them down to a more reasonable level. Game feels much more balanced than before. So happy this great game is finally getting the attention it deserves in code updates.

20240406_084046 (resized).jpg20240406_084046 (resized).jpg
#28178 9 days ago

How has Slash Solo changed? Just scoring, or actual mode play changes?

I'm pretty sure the rules themselves are unchanged although I rarely ever played it in previous code because it wasn't worth any points so I would just time it out. Now you can get 25 million plus points and the mode is actually quite fun with spinning the hat spinner and trying to lock balls in the guitar neck.

#28207 8 days ago

Yes, and in a tournament setting, I'd start a song on 3rd ball regardless of how much or little prep work has been done. The beta scoring is much improved, but the bulk of points still comes from song modes

That's true but in a tourney situation it is probably worthwhile to cash out on the song early vs. pushing it and losing everything. Preferably once you've qualified the Album. Album modes may even be more lucrative than song modes now when you consider how fast the points build up. I got 153 million in Thirst for Carnage and that was likely all done in under a minute.

#28246 5 days ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

In the market still. Does the pinwoofer kit add much to the game? Seems like it would.
Looking at a GnR with one installed.
Thanks!
Richard

The stock sound isn't great on GNR. Pinwoofer is a huge upgrade and well worth it in this game.

#28272 2 days ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

Does this new code lessen the amount of multi balls at all?
Thanks!
Richard

It's primarily score balancing and improved light shows along with a few added features (song value indicator, biggest loser award, etc). It is possible to lessen the frequency and duration of multiballs using the game settings if you want less of them.

I'm happy with the improvements. The game is way more fun and balanced than it was a few months ago. It also plays better with the new IO board. These changes are making me consider other JJP games now that the flippers are improved.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Purcellville, VA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 210.00
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Moreno Valley, CA
$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

8,245 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Georgetown, KY
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

12,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread?tu=mikes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.