IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg
1C8AE00A-E658-441F-8C85-35F46CC105C1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3148 (resized).jpeg
20240407_215717 (resized).jpg
20240407_215654 (resized).jpg
20240407_215630 (resized).jpg
IMG_0142 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Feature matrix listing differences for each edition. Posted by Dallas_Pin (3 years ago)

Post #414 GNR Manual - link to JJP site Posted by knobstone (3 years ago)

Post #434 Full Song List Posted by Concretehardt (3 years ago)

Post #755 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Guitar Neck Lock Release tip Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #1017 TECH: LIGHTING. Troubleshooting spot light motion issues Posted by wdbthree (3 years ago)

Post #3837 How to use jukebox mode Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #4098 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Flipper adjustment tips Posted by Eskaybee (3 years ago)

Post #5052 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Shooter rod power. Change barrel spring. Posted by WannaPinball (3 years ago)

Post #5235 Scorbit jjGnR integration FAQ Posted by jsa (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbrave77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#375 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

GnR in the House. Loving it so far. If you like the band you got a game and a back stage pass with this theme. Amazing work Eric and JJP Team.
[quoted image]

that looks awesome. But my first thought was Man those pins are close together!! I never want my hand to touch someone elses playing the game next to me hehe. Im also a big guy and need room to get between games for cleaning and everything....

#376 3 years ago

I am putting deposit on LE but do have a couple of concerns.

-Like many seems extremely MB heavy, but code can certainly fix that. And can probably fine tune with settings
-Long ball times are fine. I had a deadpool I loved to death. I have Star Wars and TMNT as well for short ball times! good to mix it up.
-LE vs SE. Im usually not a fan of upper playfields. I dont love POTC and I always wanted BK SOR PRO vs Premium and Im a Premium/LE buyer. Im wondering how ill like the upper PF. I cant go SE for this game as it just looks so much different, but I wonder if the SE may be the better overall shooter....

Also watched Buffalo unboxing. The LE speakers seemed damn good even without the topper/soundbar.

#378 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Btw according to kaneda everyone will think this pinball machine is the second coming of Christ. Looks like he now believes what common sense tells you.....GnR game will really like it. Others not as much.
I like when he changes his tune a little bit. Probably best to actually see the code first before committing to best game of possibly the decade. I'm anticipating that will be his next Facebook update to mention the same.

Yea he needs to tone it down a bit. He is a GnR SUPERFAN so its a dream theme for him and the Theme Integration here is off the charts. But who knows if this will be one of the better shooting games in the long run....Marv loco channel actually had a good rundown of how this may not be the best shooter. Time will tell. im buying one!(also have avengers coming). Will be fun to see which I like more.

#733 3 years ago

I feel like flipper strength on all jjp games needs to be adjusted. I own wonka and upped it quite a bit to feel more sternlike. Will do that when my LE GnR comes as well as long as it doesnt mess up the shots.

1 week later
#1290 3 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Anyone know if the center post in the left outlane is supposed to have a rubber on it??
[quoted image]

a few games ive owned shipped without it. I always add it

2 weeks later
#2278 3 years ago

well just heard from my distributer im not in this current round of LEs and will prob be early 2021. So Im getting something else for now and will maybe add GnR next year.

3 weeks later
#3218 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

If you want to hear a stern fanboy talk total crap about GNR then watch this .
Everyone is more than entitled to have their own opinion and not to like a game .
But to hear the garbage he's spews , trying to put down the game is just ridiculous .
He also fails to mention that Turtles and Avengers have way more reported issues than GNR.
But as a stern fanboy , you would expect that .

I dont think hes a fanboy. And hes mentioned not being able to review his avengers because hes waiting for a part due to a broken ramp. So hes mentioned that as well. I think the gist of his argument is this is an expensive pin and were hearing a lot about playfield issues which makes some scared(like me). Plastics/ramps/etc are easy repairs. Like the avengers subway is an easy repair when they send a part. Replacing a pooling/chipping playfield is NOT an easy fix....Hes just called out what hes heard. Personally Ive played ONE GnR LE and it was in awful shape. I posted the pics a few weeks ago. It did make me cancel my preorder for an LE. I still may buy one down the road but I want to see how the issues play out and if this new playfield fix Kaneda mentions actually works.

#3226 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I think he was ok, but I do disagree with his complaints about the GNR ruleset. It seems to me that if a game doesn't follow the Keith Elwin type scoring formula, he won't give it a chance. He is hung up that every song is (usually) a multiball and thinks the big scoring shouldn't be there. Why not? Lots of game have HUGE single ball play scoring chances. Apart from the Slash solo and all of the Album modes, this one does not. Thats ok. Also, the song gets hardest when you go down to single ball play and need to make the risk / reward choices.
Here is my comment I posted on his channel:
I love the Elwin approach to rules and scoring as much as you, but I think there are many ways to make pinball fun. Eric and Keefer have a different approach here and it really works IMO. The "heart and soul" of GNR is playing a song and the risk / reward that goes along with cashing out the song jackpot. This will usually start as a multi-ball but won't finish as one. All of the tough decisions and risk / reward choices need to be made when the song is in single ball play when you choose to take the song jackpot, or keep going. Some songs are harder than others, and all of them have different shot patterns and rules. Lots of strategy on collecting patches and patch sets that can help along the way. All 4 Album modes on GNR are single ball play and quite awesome. Well, except for the unfinished one, Desert Demolition.

good thoughts. I think he comes from a more competition play type of thinking. He wants to slow things down, trap up, and pick shots. I dont think he wants the chaos of a lot of multiball.

3 months later
#7230 3 years ago

Just got my invoice for my LE. Yay. Should have within 2 weeks. Lets hope she comes in one piece.

#7453 3 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

Hoping someone with make a video of the removal of the upper playfield to install the Cliffy. I'm a bit nervous to do this without a guide.

Was just thinking the same thing.... Ive never taken an upper playfield off before.

#7500 3 years ago

catching up on this thread as my LE is coming in about a week. Getting scared again by pics of pooling, chipping, bubbling. I guess luckily Im getting white glove delivery so at least any issues will be documented with my distributer. Ive had 8 new in box games so far and have been super lucky to avoid any playfield issues thus far. Shit I shouldnt have typed that now Im screwed by acknowledging it. heh

1 week later
#7686 3 years ago

game should be coming in a few days(le). What is the correct pitch for this game and what are most setting their flippers to? JJP flippers are always weak to me and need to be dialed up. When I played GnR on location I still felt same way.

#7688 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Recommended is 6.5. I have mine around 6.8 and love it. Karl with IE pinball has his around 7 deg and looks to play amazing on his streams. Both Karl and I readjusted the flippers to be parallel with the inlane guides so returns are smoother. I have my flipper power on the lower flippers +1 over factory. Upper right flipper defaults to a much lower power than the game initially shipped with so I have that around +6 or so of the new default setting.

thanks. I usually prefer steeper than 6.5 with 6.8 being my sweet spot so Ill mess around with it. Will start with +1 on the lowers. Are you saying that recent updates have brought the upper right flipper power down signifacantly so you increased it a bunch?

#7692 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yes. Youā€™ll have to play with the power settings when you get yours to find the sweet spot.

ty

4 weeks later
#8678 2 years ago

so I got my LE yesterday and like some others I have balls constantly getting stuck in the pops. Most of the time its on the right when it tries to get back into the right orbit. I dont believe its the rubber by the pops causing the issue. I actually think its that metal "gate?" type piece that is suppossed to move when the ball goes through. Whats the fix?

20210424_201850557_iOS (resized).jpg20210424_201850557_iOS (resized).jpg20210424_202119484_iOS (resized).jpg20210424_202119484_iOS (resized).jpg
#8680 2 years ago

ugh that sounds like a lot! Ill investigate more today as Im going to clean and wax anyways. Also got stranger things LE the day before so lots of cleaning/waxing going on

#8690 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Actually a 5 minute job once I found the culprit...I'd rather it be this though than something with the orbit or guiderail

if anyone has any pics of what I should look for and what I should do Id appreciate it. thanks!

#8693 2 years ago

so that is mylar that has peeled away from the drumstick and is hanging?

#8695 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Yes, it's a wrap around the stick, the seam is on the bottom of the stick where there is about a 5cm overlap .
Since I'm in Houston and it's relatively humid and around 55% in our house usually versus Chicago..I'm guessing that and time have just allowed the adhesive to lose it's bond...The mylar is pretty thick stuff too and has some spring to it, probably necessary for the ramp. The mylar I wrapped around the bottom was about a quarter of the circumference of the stick, enough to cover the seam on both sides and prevent it from lifting.
I would never have notice it had it not been for the gate hanging...
Now I'm shooting that right orbit and it is SMOOTH

I lowered the pitch just a bit and it seems to be better for me. no mylar hanging from the sticks. Next question is wifi. My game wont find any wifi networks when there should be like 5 available. anything special to do?

#8704 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Did you agree to the terms and conditions?

Yes

#8718 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Yes, it's a wrap around the stick, the seam is on the bottom of the stick where there is about a 5cm overlap .
Since I'm in Houston and it's relatively humid and around 55% in our house usually versus Chicago..I'm guessing that and time have just allowed the adhesive to lose it's bond...The mylar is pretty thick stuff too and has some spring to it, probably necessary for the ramp. The mylar I wrapped around the bottom was about a quarter to half of the circumference of the stick, enough to cover the seam on both sides and prevent it from lifting.
I would never have noticed it had it not been for the gate hanging...
Now I'm shooting that right orbit and it is SMOOTH

Hey circling back around on the drumsticks. After closer look the mylar is coming off my sticks as well. So did you peel ALL the factory mylar off the sticks? Or just put it back in place and then use a small peice of mylar to keep the factory stuff on?

As far as removing the drumsticks its just a couple of screws? Any wires/soldering I need to worry about upsetting?

#8723 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Here's my repair on my sticks for those who want to try self repair versus going the distro JJP route...
I would contact your distro first to make sure you can still be covered for replacement should you screw this up, it's not hard but takes a little patience
So the mylar used is pretty thick, the stuff i used is the sheets i ordered off pinball life. I didn't want to peel off the factory mylar at risk of messing up the Vater graphics..and I felt overall it was a nice look except for the adhesive. I cut about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide strip the length between the bracket near the tip bracket and the end of the mylar near the handgrips after the control bracket is removed (more on that below) securing the bottoms of the drumsticks. I attached my strip of mylar lengthwise about 1/4 inch to the side of the seam (basically making a flap extension of what was peeling) and once in place rolled it over the drumstick working slowly to keep the seal tight secured it on the other side...then just press it down using a microfiber towel to seal it completely.
To remove sticks:
1. lift playfield to 2nd or 3rd position
2. unscrew two small screws near the optic control board and then the 1 small screw near the tip of the sticks - the dumsticks are now free except for the plug
3. there is one plug that connects the control board to the stick assembly, unplug that and remove the plastic ball guard and set aside
4. Next, I removed the control board bracket so that my mylar would also be held in place by it post fix
5. perform mylar application above
6. make sure when screwing and unscrewing you use the correct size phillips head as you don't want to strrip the screw. Drumsticks are hard wood and it requires downward and steady pressure to not strip the head of the screw - use the correct tool for the job - you'll have to poke two small holes in the mylar you just installed to reinsert the screws
7. plug back in bracket, reattach sticks lining up holes and plastic shield
8. test sticks in place after lowering playfield
Done!
Here's before and after again for those who don't want to scroll back in this thread
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

thanks for the long explanation. Makes me feel better about doing this. I got Stranger Things LE and GnR LE within 24 hours of eachother and they both need little fixes that make me a bit un easy!

#8726 2 years ago

foofighters instructions were spot on. Sticks were a bit hard to get back in and had to move some things to place to get sticks back in but it all worked. 100% operational now.

#8736 2 years ago

Whats the best way to get up the left ramp all the way? I dont feel like the backhand will get it up there often, and coming from the right flipper its very dangerous. I just had my first real good game 5.8m and 3 of my drains were trying to go up that left ramp.... I am plus 1 on each of my bottom flippers.

thanks!

#8740 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I'm in the same boat. The Appetite stand up is deadly. I watched a little of IE pinballs stream and he was going up with the right flipper...he did note that he lowered his flippers slightly from factory (flopped)...similar to Jurassic Park I'm assuming for making those side shots easier...I'm just gonna keep practicing but there is a definite narrow window of opportunity on that right flipper to not hit the dreaded Appetite standup and drain immediately versus going successfully up the ramp. I try to backhand it like the Death Star Ramp but it's really tough to time it perfect, you can do it if you hit it on the roll or a fast slap save...
It's a good challenge. I remember when the helicopter shot on JP was was nemesis..now I can hit that shot all day
I'd say the 3 hardest shots on GnR are : 1. Under the flipper - crowd 2. Left Ramp without draining 3. Left and right orbits when your panic flipping during a song

Well I do plus 1 to flippers because I hate how weak JJP flippers feel! Also I own SW Premium and Ive RARELY been able to backhand the death star ramp. But I can hit it pretty consistently from the right.(except during multiball trying to blow up the damn death star)

#8767 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I backhand that ramp all day. Iā€™ll even post pass from the right flipper to get it over to the left.
Bump up your flipper strength by 2.

Just the left? Or are you plus 2 on both?

#8867 2 years ago

Hrm. Neither my wonka(with recommended wifi usb card) or GnR LE will find any wifi signals. I turned off router and back on and nothing. Updated by USB so no big deal but would like to check out scorbit.

Side note- This game is great but Ive never seen more stuck balls then this game. First it was the sticks with the peeling mylar, but now the balls get stuck on the pops here and there and all the time on the Pick spinners.

#8891 2 years ago

Where exactly is the wifi dongle plugged in on the LE? Theres nothing in the usb cable by coin door

#9062 2 years ago

holy crap you guys werent kidding about the slingshot rubbers. I got a week in and they are torn to shreds! Shouldve ordered in advance but now I guess the game is sidelined a few days. Well more time to play stranger things le which I got the same weekend.

#9070 2 years ago

Soo. How do i replace the darn slingshot rubbers in this game? Do i have to remove the entire base guitar wireform and the left ramp return just to change the rubbers?

#9072 2 years ago

Hehe how do i do this then! Right side is hard to with that return rail

#9074 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Remove nuts. Remove plastic. Replace rubber. Replace plastic. Replace nuts.

I feel super dumb here but I dont seem to be able to do that the way its constructed..... see pics.

20210504_185526873_iOS (resized).jpg20210504_185526873_iOS (resized).jpg20210504_185533450_iOS (resized).jpg20210504_185533450_iOS (resized).jpg20210504_185541524_iOS (resized).jpg20210504_185541524_iOS (resized).jpg20210504_185545640_iOS (resized).jpg20210504_185545640_iOS (resized).jpg
#9077 2 years ago

Got the right rubber on. But still cant see how to do the left without removing a bunch of stuff

#9080 2 years ago

Ok i didnt know that one long hex bolt thing would come off without hurting something. Thanks

#9082 2 years ago

Ok i didnt know that one long hex bolt thing would come off without hurting something. Thanks. Still learning!

#9086 2 years ago

Heh double post by mistake. I got it done. Used 2 inch rubbers as its all i had around and maybe itll last longer

#9150 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'm glad you worked it out. It wasn't so bad, right?

Its funny. Ive owned like 10 machines and have 6 now. And ive never had to ask
How to do something like that. Hehe. Most its pretty simple and quick. Also have never had to replace after like 70 plays!

#9166 2 years ago

finally getting the hang of this game and how to score. Just beat my previous GC by 5 times and hit 25m. yay. Love that moment after getting a new game and struggling and then it finally clicks with you. That was fun for sure.

Also. I typically play pinball with the lights on since I have trouble seeing the ball here and there. Tho I just got GnR LE and Stranger things LE and have been playing with lights off and been fine. But wasnt prepared for the game going completely dark at moments in some songs and lost a ball. So need tokeep the lights on just a bit i think...

20210505_195056370_iOS (resized).jpg20210505_195056370_iOS (resized).jpg
#9179 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

The only game i can paly in the dark is AFMrmLE. It has glow in the dark rubbers and protectors and is absolutely stunning getting strobe multi in the dark. Love that machine.
I am around (bit under) your old scoring, i've been trying different approaches to the same shots in the game and feel like i am making progress at not losing the ball in the same ways, but haven't seen a scoring increase yet on the top end. Maybe a little progress in average scores and a lot of progress on bottom end scores from my usual send it back up flailing.
Biggest ball saver for me has been reading here about backhanding the left ramp, many more balls kept in play by shooting the spinner from the right flipper instead of left ramp.
I still don't know what shots hit who except Frank and Dizzy. I have no fucking idea if i've ever earned a patch through anything except mystery or which ones i have earned or what they do.

Yea i finally know where the shots are for each band member. And progressing through songs with power chords seem to be the way to score. You get ab encore if you finish a song for more points. I believe I got 12m on live or let die alone if i remember right.

The left ramp is tough. I prefer going from the right flipper and its really late on the flipper to hit it. But if I miss I know its a possible drain.....have to be ready on the rebound and its so damn close its pretty tough.

#9246 2 years ago

So how are extra balls qualified in this game? I got like 3 yesterday in one game and today had an awesome game and got 0. Whats the best way to get them?

2 weeks later
#9837 2 years ago

Few questions for everyone.

#1. How do you qualify extra balls? I got some early on in my play and havent gotten one in quite some time....
#2 Is there anything I can do to impact where the guitar lock balls fall near the flippers? The left side balls always seem to drop sdtm....

Side note- So far my playfield is ok. Will have to check build date but probably April. I dont have a ton of plays yet as I got Stranger Things LE the same weekend as well.

#9839 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Mystery awards pre-song, spotting all the inlanes in-song (I think!)

I had pretty good results by pinching in the metal guides on the guitar neck a slight amount. This makes the ball contact the center plastic on the way out and steer away from center.

thanks, Ill take a look at the guides

#9906 2 years ago

Well i finished November rain fully for the first time, that was fun. Too bad my other 3 balls sucked....

I find myself really worrying about my playfield with all this talk. I have an April 2021 LE like some others who have had issues but so far is flawless through about 50 plays(not counting sling rubbers instantly evaporating). Has to be way more plays as I restart after ball 1 a lot. I have the cliffys and dont even think Im going to install it as I dont want to go through the hassle of removing upper PF. Im just going to try and enjoy this thing and if it falls apart Ill call melissa at cointaker and see what my options are....

#9936 2 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

I would remove the post above the pops, between and below the ā€œaā€ and ā€œxā€ lanes for a look. It takes a while for the soft paint to move enough to force lifting outside of the washer circumference, if that makes any sense. Plastic washers now, and maybe some vinyl ironing to ā€œsetā€ the clear (apparently thatā€™s a thing) may keep the visible damage to a minimum. Good luck!

What size plastic washers and would you happen to have a link? Im kind of afraid that even taking the posts off will mess with the paint...So Im hesitant to even try...

#9939 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

3/4 in PETG... Couple spots where 7/8 works also... Some people may like the blue 7/8 on the upper playfield where alot of damage is occurring... Titan has those
Hold the washer with your finger as you twist the post (most are t posts but there are some bolt through) that way you're not doing extra damage if there is any...
Pinball life has them as well as Titan

petg?

nm i found them on Pinball life. still dunno what petg is but im assuming plastic?

#9943 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

https://www.pinballlife.com/clear-petg-fender-washers.html
It's a plastic that's highly resistant to impact solvents in heat used a lot in 3D printing also

thanks for all the help youve been awesome in this thread. Ive ordered the washers, but I still am super nervous to unscrew those posts! Feel like itll take the art with it.

#9945 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Just apply light finger pressure to the washer as you twist You won't be doing any playfield damage... And it'll stop the twisting if any of the washer...
Also you only need a couple light twists of a hex wrench or a screwdriver to loosen up those posts and then you can pull up with your finger as you twist off that way you're not applying downward pressure to the post onto the washer that'll prevent it also from turning

thanks again

#10010 2 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Legitimate question here - I have an April build LE with 200 plays on it plus or minus with absolutely zero issues like this - did I just not play it enough yet for it to start falling apart?? Are there wildly inconsistent playfield quality levels? Iā€™ve ordered washers and will install several as a precaution but frankly with this thread being what it is the last two weeks, it expected to see mine crumbling....any other owners NOT having issues??

Im in same boat as you. April 21 le build. No problems yet like 60 plays but im now torn on this game as im scared its going to fall apart. I did order the rubber washers and will install them on the easier to get to areas.

#10068 2 years ago

These posts have gotten so frequent here and fb that im considering trading my flawless game. I just dont want to deal with possible damage as Im not handy. One thing giving me some confidence is My wonka has held up pretty darn well over the last year ive had it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 210.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

ā‚¬ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 11,000.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tulsa, OK
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbrave77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread?tu=mbrave77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.