IMG_20240413_155854 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155858 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155856 (resized).jpg
IMG_1426 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_2636.gif
IMG_2002 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Feature matrix listing differences for each edition. Posted by Dallas_Pin (3 years ago)

Post #414 GNR Manual - link to JJP site Posted by knobstone (3 years ago)

Post #434 Full Song List Posted by Concretehardt (3 years ago)

Post #755 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Guitar Neck Lock Release tip Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #1017 TECH: LIGHTING. Troubleshooting spot light motion issues Posted by wdbthree (3 years ago)

Post #3837 How to use jukebox mode Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #4098 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Flipper adjustment tips Posted by Eskaybee (3 years ago)

Post #5052 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Shooter rod power. Change barrel spring. Posted by WannaPinball (3 years ago)

Post #5235 Scorbit jjGnR integration FAQ Posted by jsa (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maplesyrup.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6552 3 years ago

Posted in the CE Thread. Sharing here.

I just posted my review on this machine last night. I'm admittedly in the Honeymoon phase with this game, so time will tell if the love in fades!

First of all, the ratings are all subjective, but the way people try to manipulate them is just sad and stupid. A perfect 10 for ANY machine is as stupid as a rating of 2 for this particular machine. This game is BONKERS. I'm thinking it's definitely one of the best pins ever made... But it's not a perfect 10. I think my rating worked out to a 9.3 ish. Lighting and Animations got perfect 10s for me, as did layout and rules... But there is literally NOT a toy in the game. How can you give that a 10?? Point being, I DON'T CARE that it doesn't have a goofy pinball toy... The rest of the package MORE THAN makes up for that. Would it be BETTER with a toy?! I don't know. It's almost perfect as is.

I was a JJGnR Naysayer at the outset. I was saying things like, "Well, it's definitely an impressive piece of hardware... but will it be any fun to play?!", Or "Sure, it's full of assets, but all of those assets are Guns and Roses... So, if you don't like the band, who cares?!"

I've never been so happy to be wrong about a machine. Eric and team knocked this one out of the park... Actually, they knocked it out of the County that the ball park is in!! I was really looking forward to telling a bunch of my pals that the game they are so excited about BLOWS... but it is simply amazing.

Here's the main thing I want to say. This game is incredible, but NOT for the reasons that are getting a lot of people excited. I really don't care about the number of GnR songs, and video content, and LEDs... The Game SHOOTS Great, has GREAT Risk Reward Code design, and is exhilarating to play. It would be just as good with 300 Less Lights, and half the songs, and video content. I'm not saying those things don't make it better (Of course they Do!), but the bones of a great pinball experience are there. Shots, Rules, Theme Integration.

I'm a HUGE Stern fan. I think JP is one of the best pins ever made. I also love my AIQ. I've always been a fan of what JJP was TRYING to do. I think they've finally done it with GnR. A good friend locally messaged me, "Every other pin in my collection is now for sale". HA. I'm not going there yet, but this pin is blowing my mind.

Kudos to the entire JJP Team on creating a truly magnificent Pinball experience. Like Maiden and Met before it... It's even turning me in to a bit of a GnR Fan! That's something I never thought I'd say!

#6554 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

So what's a toy?
Is it a sculpt? We've got the Axl skeleton.
Is it a mech? We've got the guitar lock and proximity sensors, as well as the hot rails.
Genuinely curious what the expectation is for "toy."

I’m trying to say that the game not having a toy doesn’t effect my opinion of the game. I think most toys are silly. I suppose I would define a toy as an interactive Mech.

I LOVE the proximity sensors. That’s a wicked innovation, but it’s just a new switch. I love Sterns new Opto Spinners too.

The MM Castle is a Toy. The TOM Crate.

I GET that the whole game is a next level experience, but the fact that it doesn’t NEED a Toy doesn’t mean it HAS a great Toy! Haha

Either way... LOVE THIS GAME. Can’t get enough of it.

#6562 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Completely forgot that one, and the slash hat! And the cymbal drums.
Those are both interactive toys.

I SUPPOSE so... My point is, I LOVE the game.

I really don't like the CE Cab Artwork though. I think the LE Cab looks best personally... But I love having the physical Coma Lock! I also don't like the Keyboard being such a focal point in the centre of the playfield... But these are all TINY and Insignificant Nitpicks. These small criticisms stop the game from being a perfect 10 for me, But it's still One of the best Pinball Packages ever produced.

#6571 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Dude, what an excellent review. So spot on. Love the part when you were all ready to tell ppl the game blows and instead it blew you...away
Regarding toys; so many people (podcasters mainly) rate that subject on toys alone. But per Pinside, it’s toys AND gimmicks. I would suspect the mini pf falls in this category and also believe the mini pf on GNR is the best one ever done. It’s quick and fast and not a grind like so many other mini playfields.
Anyway, carry on, can’t wait to check out the new update.

Cheers. I agree, the Mini Playfield is perfectly balanced and challenging. Especially during Multiball. It’s awesome.

#6599 3 years ago

I don’t understand why they’re even updating the code to this game at all... it’s already a perfect 10!?!

#6600 3 years ago

Ok, funny story. I haven’t been able to get my wifi connection working ever since my first code update. I tried all sorts of interesting tweaks to the AP of my system. I couldn’t get the game to see the wifi, despite my phone showing a pretty good signal. I’m relatively tech savvy, so I was finding this to be quite perplexing.

I was then asked a Deeply insulting question by a member of the JJP team. “Is it possible you removed the Wifi Dongle when you did your code update?”

My response, “Why would I have removed the Wifi Dongle?!”

JJP “Where did you plug in your USB stick to preform the update?”

Me “I used the USB cable that’s right by the coin box... Wait... WAS that TINY black cap that I thought was just a plastic protector on the end of the USB cable, “The Wifi Dongle”?!?!

Luckily I’d dropped it in to the coin box for some reason instead of throwing it out, despite believing it was merely a plastic cap to protect the USB end from getting crushed... or something!

I’m an idiot.

#6606 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

This has to be sarcasm, right? If not.....ugg

Yes indeed!

#6626 3 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Has happened to me a couple times and seems to just get caught when it perfectly rests against the end of the pic? I have some super lube for spinners coming to see if it helps. Can not see and binding in mech

I torqued that ball guide on the right side of the lane to lean a little more towards the pick spinner giving it less of a chance to hang up there. It worked great. Haven't had a hang up since.

#6628 3 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

running down to do this now! lol Thanks !

It's a little tricky to get at. I came straight down from the top without removing anything, using a flat head screw driver. VERY GENTLY torque to the left. You don't want to put any undue stress on the posts. I sort of used the ball lock outside lane guide as a leverage point, I think. Good luck!

#6845 3 years ago

Why would anybody want to keep High Scores that were not achieved on the code the game is currently running?!

#6858 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You can't pick and choose. Some people may just want to save any adjustments to settings, pricing, coils, etc. That they changed.
LTG : )

Pinside: Will I lose my Scores? I don’t want to lose my scores. How can I keep my high scores?! How can I put my scores back in?

Me: Why would you want scores from previous code versions?

LTG : It’s the SETTINGS they want to keep.

Me: I must have misunderstood!

#6917 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Is anyone having issues with collecting patches? It seems to me that the outlane lights and the backbox lights don't track progress on patches very well.

There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of how this works. This is true of almost EVERY PINBALL MACHINE since the 80s.

Pressing the Right flipper, moves the lights to the right (Inlane/Outane, AND Top Lanes)

If you have 2 letters of "AMP" collected, and then you press the right flipper... those 2 lights move to the GNR Lane. If you have 2 letters of JAM Lit and then press the right flipper, those 2 move to the AMP Lane.

Or you can move them the other way with the left flipper.

You are always cycling the lights either left or right.

You should ALWAYS be moving lights to collect sets, in both the top lanes and the inlane and outlanes of almost every modern pinball machine.

If you're trying to collect patches and start AMP multiball (Whatever it's called... "Turn it Up?!"), it's imperative that you understand this process.

If you're about to roll through the GNR Lane, and notice you have 2 JAM letters collected, quickly press the left flipper once to move those 2 lights to the GNR Lane. Rolling over the lane will complete.

You're not REALLY collecting specific letters, You're collecting sets of lights.

Hopefully that's helpful to the folks who didn't understand it.

Apologies if that's not what you're trying to say here. Several posts by different people have made me think this fundamental process isn't understood.

#6937 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Thanks for your response.
My issue, thoroughly under explained in my initial post, is that either the game doesn't award patches correctly all the time or there are sometimes when patches just get awarded extra easily or the indicators on the outlane and/or backbox don't accurately reflect how many additional shots are required to collect a patch.
On your first ball there are no lights lit on the outlanes. Pressing the flippers doesn't highlight any of the outlanes. So you roll a ball through one of the outlanes and now you have a lit lane that you can cycle with your flippers. At this point it doesn't appear that any lane progress has been recorded.
Roll another ball through a lit(single light flashing) lane and now you should have a single solid light and a second light flashing for that lane. When you look on the backbox it is likely to show that no progress has been made toward the patch. Shoot the mini-playfield and let it drain. You will now see in the backglass that the first letter of the patch is lit. Shoot the mini-playfield and let it drain again and it will award the patch as if you just made two shots at once.
There are many different variations on this theme but it is distracting not being able to rely on the patch progress indicator in the backbox and or the lights on the outlane.
Also it appears that as you are cycling between the outlanes you actually have two 'lit' or 'hot' outlanes at a time and what you are cycling is the 'dead' outlane.
Or do I have it entirely wrong.
Lastly it seemed that in 1.14 the left outlanes were both yellow lights. Now it appears since 1.16 the AMP outlane is yellow and the GnR (patch) outlane is blue. Did it change? Anybody know?

Your explanation is a little confusing, but I think I see what you're saying. I think you're missing something about this. You don't progress lanes. You only light lights, which can then be moved. You can "Cash in a full set" anywhere. You are not progressing the lane. You are collecting sets of lights.

Usually this is done horizontally. In the case of most games, you are collecting a word that the outlanes and inlanes are spelling out. You don't need to roll out both outlanes to collect the word, you just cycle the unlit lights in to the inlanes at the correct time.

This is crucial to understand. You are NOT completing Lanes... Just light Sets.

So, you can collect 2 lights by rolling over the right inlane spelling "J" and "A" towards Jam. REMEMBER you haven't collected those letters specifically, you've merely collected 2 lights in that lane. Then if you make the left ramp, you can use the flippers to cycle the 2 lights you collected in the Right inlane over to the 2nd of the left inlanes, and complete a set on GNR to award a patch. OR you can bump them over to complete "AMP" and start multiball.

One Caveat I'll issue is that SOMETIMES when the ball drops from the upper playfield, I'm awarded 2 lights. I'm not sure if that's a switch error, or something I'm accidentally activating via code. Anybody have clarification on that??

#6948 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Thank you for patience.
If I understand you correctly, if I hit a flashing lane I get another light. Once I have two lights I pick which lane I want to cash in on. So the only time the lane really matters other than adding another light is on the third light. That third light lane is the reward.

Happy to help... If that's what I'm doing!??

Lane doesn't ever flash as far as I know?! You are awarded a single light for every lane you roll through. Even if you roll UP the lane as often happens when you trap a high speed ball.

You are correct, the 3rd light completes set, no matter where it happens. There is no "Active" Lane, other than the one the ball is rolling through to award a light.

Completing a Set on the Left starts Turn it Up Multiball.

Completing a Set on the second Left Inlane awards a Patch.

Completing a Set in the Right Inlane lights to "Jam" Target to spot a band member.

1 week later
#7335 3 years ago

I tried updating via wifi from 1.18 to 1.19 X3.

Each time, the update downloaded but failed to verify.

I tried doing a Delta Update Via USB. Again failed to Verify.

Reformatted USB stick. Still no Joy.

Tried a different USB Stick. Update successful.

They say the definition of insanity is repeating the same actions and expecting different results, but in pinball... it’s a necessity!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Moreno Valley, CA
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

7,500 (OBO)
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

8,245 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Georgetown, KY
$ 11,000.00
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 210.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maplesyrup.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread?tu=maplesyrup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.