IMG_2676.gif
IMG_0960 (resized).jpeg
image1 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
GnRAllenWrenchMod (resized).jpg
200w.gif
IMG_2222 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Feature matrix listing differences for each edition. Posted by Dallas_Pin (3 years ago)

Post #414 GNR Manual - link to JJP site Posted by knobstone (3 years ago)

Post #434 Full Song List Posted by Concretehardt (3 years ago)

Post #755 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Guitar Neck Lock Release tip Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #1017 TECH: LIGHTING. Troubleshooting spot light motion issues Posted by wdbthree (3 years ago)

Post #3837 How to use jukebox mode Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #4098 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Flipper adjustment tips Posted by Eskaybee (3 years ago)

Post #5052 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Shooter rod power. Change barrel spring. Posted by WannaPinball (3 years ago)

Post #5235 Scorbit jjGnR integration FAQ Posted by jsa (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hornersyndrome.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17776 2 years ago

Just got this sweet game. I’ve looked thru this thread a lot but have a couple of questions if someone could answer I’d be very appreciative.
1) my glass rattles even with the shaker motor set to low. Any suggestions?
2) occasionally at the start of a new ball when I hit the left flipper it also triggers the left ramp diverter to lower also - this is before the ball is even plunged.
3) my left spotlight seems to move a little “jittery” at times.
4) sometimes I heard a load buzzing noise like a coil being activating but I’m not pressing a flipper button and I don’t think it’s the axl magnet either.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on any of this. Super stoked to get into this game!

#17885 2 years ago

For those that had to do the spotlight bracket “trimming” service bulletin- will regular wire cutters work or did you all use the specific ones JJP recommended? Also, part of this is lazy but mostly I don’t want to mess something up that is currently working but seems like you could get to that area that needs to be trimmed without removing everything, at least on the right spotlight. Thanks!

#17893 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I will do it!
Pinsiders without 3d printers? Or a friend without a 3d Printer? Fear no more....
I have an decent assortment of RED and BLACK to share with you all... thanks to Agima2000 for creating, and PinWoofer for printing, and me for shipping.
Do you want one?
If you want one, I will drop it in the mail to you -- USA ONLY - sorry everyone not USA.
Due to the undisclosed qty of these I have (LOL)...
I am accepting minimum donations of $3 each by paypal Friends and Family for this to cover the cost of postage/handling/envelope.
Financial assistance is available if you don't have $3 bucks. It's Thanksgiving after all!!
PM me if you want one and state your color preference, and I will reply with confirmation that that color stock remains and if not, give you option for the remaining color. At that time I will also request your address and give you the paypal ID.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Super cool offer guys! Thanks in advance. Love pinside and thanks as always for everyone taking time to help others out. Great hobby made even better by a great community!

#18002 2 years ago

Pinmonk makes them… just search in the market for them or pinmonk.com

#18047 2 years ago

Looks like a ton of people recommend getting a pinwoofer for this. Just to be clear it this recommendation mostly about quality of sound and call outs or just some heart thumping bass and sound? I ask bc I typically have to play after the wife and kids (1&4) go to bed so blasting sound that rocks the house isn’t something I can really take advantage of very often. I guess I could use headphones but I’d prefer not to wear them. So that said, it is still something you’d recommend even if I keep the volume at like 14? Thanks!

#18104 2 years ago

So I have no friends … at least none that have a GNR on Scorbit . I’d love to see what challenges are all about. So if anyone is looking for a quality Scorbit friend feel free to challenge HornerSyndrome I’ve only had the game 2 weeks and can only play occasionally as I have two young boys - 1 and 3. Love it so far! Game on!

#18117 2 years ago

Thanks guys! Looking forward to some challenges!
Now I just got to replace both of my vertical spotlight servos.
I think I F-ed them up when I did the trimming the arm per JJP bulletin so they wouldn’t break. Irony is now the vertical servo doesn’t work and I think I messed up the calibration when I moved the orientation to get access to the arm to trim. Should I just disconnect them until I get replacements if the calibration and vertical servos don’t work so I don’t mess them up more?

#18168 2 years ago

Holy Crap! Apparently I work well under pressure! Thanks for the challenges all. After 3-4 poor games getting warmed up and trying to figure out changes patches on the fly (thanks to all the info here about strategy) I blew up my GC of 23 mil prior with getting 2 band frenzies and just trying to pepper the pops during Sweet Child. I only went in with 61 song value but hit the applause jackpot for a cool 70 mil! The rest of my balls sucked as my total was 72 mil but what a rush!

1 week later
#18450 2 years ago

I’ve had the game about a month now but have a couple of rule questions I can’t find / figure out.
1. What does the “fog” insert do in the upper playfield?
2. What is the single / double / triple jackpots for AMP MB? Hurry up shots but what determines JP?
3. What about Lights multiball? Shoot Ramps but what is the JP? Center scoop?
4. Pyro is easy - switch frenzy and then action button.
5. Crowd is two random lit shots then under the flipper for JP but what determines size of JP?
6. What determines the JP size for power chord? Tilt forums rules say it’s a set number but mine is variable.
Thanks!

#18561 2 years ago

I also had the blue foam snubber break off. Do you need to remove the upper playfield to get those two nuts off and on or is there some cool little tool I can use or can I just loosen the scoop hood enough to access them? Also since these break off any thought to putting something like electrical tape or something over them - seems like that could prevent future breakage. Thoughts?

#18660 2 years ago

How do you “zero” the spotlight servos if you were stupid and didn’t realize you couldn’t adjust them by hand. I did the JJP service bulletin to trim the arm so it doesn’t hit and break and it says in there to position it pointed up to access it so I did that but assume I messed up the servo as shortly after both my vertical servos stopped working. So I ordered replacements but since I changed the positioning by hand do they still zero out correctly or how would I make sure I don’t mess up my replacement ones also? Thanks!

#18689 2 years ago

I’ve had the game about a month now but have a couple of rule questions I can’t find / figure out.
1. What does the “fog” insert do in the upper playfield?
2. What is the single / double / triple jackpots for AMP MB? Hurry up shots but what determines JP?
3. What about Lights multiball? Shoot Ramps but what is the JP? Center scoop?
4. Pyro is easy - switch frenzy and then action button.
5. Crowd is two random lit shots then under the flipper for JP but what determines size of JP?

1 week later
#18834 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Whoa my heart is racing...
Live And let die, applause jackpot, November rain encore, like four extra balls, I think, cuz all I know is when I finally drained I still had three balls left. Started the next round with over 4 million, got to the point where this I love was the song selected and I rocked it out with a 5.1 million song jackpot.. played with tons of balls the whole song, seems to last forever, I knew I was getting to the end I kept shooting for the center scoop finally I saw the screen change nailed the center scoop and claimed the jackpot for a final score And almost double my old GC scoring... 12,121,853 !
I also played a demolition derby and shall we play a game somewhere in all that... Going downstairs to cool off So pinmonks fans can Cool off my flippers. [quoted image]

Great job! Super fun game. Just keeps getting deeper and always something more to try and achieve. I can’t think of a pin that gets your heart thumping when a big applause jackpot is ready.

1 week later
#19008 2 years ago

For those who installed the pinwoofer on a GNR - for the main 8” speaker it says to remove the metal grate bc it can rattle. Well mine is not only stapled down but there are metal screw holes (female) are threaded through it. How did you remove those or did you just install it with the metal grate left in? Help is very much appreciated!

6714BE07-5AF3-4D9A-B0B2-41745976AB82 (resized).jpeg6714BE07-5AF3-4D9A-B0B2-41745976AB82 (resized).jpeg
#19012 2 years ago

Thanks. Last question- I hope. Did your four screws protrude this far under the cabinet? I don’t see how they wouldn’t once you remove the wooden block and replace it with the thinner mounting bracket. PS - I will pull out that grate that is in the picture now if I am able without ripping out the metal inserts.

FD7A6929-BAB1-468B-9705-ABB63413A25C (resized).jpegFD7A6929-BAB1-468B-9705-ABB63413A25C (resized).jpeg
#19015 2 years ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

Hey HornerSyndrome - I just replied to your email. There are four #8-32 ¾” screws included in the cabinet speaker pack that should be used as the new screws. They are shorter and will not stick out the bottom of the cabinet. Please email or call if you need additional assistance. Thanks

Thanks Dan and pinside peps! Excited to try this out!

#19022 2 years ago

So I trusted the plethora of great feedback from on this forum to pull the trigger on the pinwoofer KO system and no surprise I am SUPER happy! Dan and all of you were great helping me out with my questions but overall really pretty easy install. Did the pinmonk fans at the same time. Game is somehow even better!

#19175 2 years ago

Thanks to all those posting about gameplay strategy and how they got huge points. Thanks to SKB for the song shot run down. All great info and appreciate the time to list it out for us. Nice to have the “GNR Cliff Notes”. Keep it coming!

Also JJP does have a full spotlight service bulletin for replacement of links and servos which I found helpful when I replaced all 4 of mine with the upgraded EMAX version. I needed to wrap the “gear” with plumbers tape as it was just a hair smaller than the originals but seems to be working fine now.

#19271 2 years ago

Hey I know this has been addressed before but my AXL magnet went out. In the key posts it says about bypassing it but I’m not really sure what that means or how to do that. Seems like it could be a resister or a fuse issue? Hard time getting any extra balls which is a bummer as I just hit a great score for me 58 mil but had 2 uncollected extra balls I left on the table. Thanks in advance for the help.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#19283 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's a failure of the thermal switch that is supposed to trigger when it gets too hot and shut off power, allow a cooldown, then turn back on when the temp drops below a certain level. Bypassing it is not recommended. Just get a replacement.
I have a magnet cooler/diverter cooler set I've been testing for a while that is almost ready to go. Just waiting for a source for a tool I have to include with it for the diverter installation. Hopefully I'll have the set up this month. Cooling both is the long-term solution if you play a lot.

Thanks and yes let me know when the cooler is completed - I have your fans already which are super helpful. When you say ask for a replacement - am I just replacing the coil itself then or do I need to replace anything else?

#19437 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

I don’t typically fist pump when I play pinball, but I’ve noticed when I do it’s always on Guns N’ Roses

Funny, I hit a 5 ball PC bad shortly after in that song hit the applause JP and literally jumped up in the air and fist pumped while listening to the cheers for “encore!” Love that you get a little break to celebrate. None of my other pins make me do this. Killing Smaug in Hobbit is super satisfying but there isn’t the long build up of pressure for a huge JP like GNR does so well. I’m a score junky but with this pin score doesn’t even matter sometimes - it just fun to get a JP and go to encore.

#19439 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I dont yell you fu#%ing piece of s#%t when miss the applause jackpot. Not sure if I'm aiming that at me or the game. Prob me

Ditto!

#19601 2 years ago

For those that need the blue snubber rubbers. JJP has them in stock for $1.99 each and charges cost for shipping. I know people had issues getting them and pinball life I think was charging $3.99 each and extra for shipping.
Also some might not like this idea but I did put electrical tape over the blue (one I don’t like the blue) and two I’m hoping it prevents them snapping off again as I find them annoying to replace. So far so good.

#19721 2 years ago

Sorry I looked at the manual but apparently I’m an idiot. Which board is the LED/PFC (ACC) board? Once I locate that, I assume I start with making sure a cable didn’t come loose or there a a broken wire? Thanks.

99553BF5-CB83-4E1C-9EFF-5C7D4533518E (resized).jpeg99553BF5-CB83-4E1C-9EFF-5C7D4533518E (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#19957 2 years ago

You mentioned maxed out song level - what is the max sing level? I think I’ve had in the 160s before but I’m not certain. Is that number still the same max if you go into an encore song? Anyone know if there is a max for album modes?

#20096 2 years ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

Folks, I'm ripping apart my CE this weekend to smooth down any pooling, install PETGs and larger t nuts, and install Cliffys. While I have the beast torn apart, I planning on swapping out the blue snubbers on the scoop as well
A question for folks. The blue snubbers I have are pretty beat up and I don't have many games on this bad boy. Has anyone tried carving up a flipper rubber as a sub to see if it is more durable? It is a bit thicker, and the rubber feels more resilient.
If you've tried this, would love to hear about your experiences for good or ill (I'm hoping to not have to pop off the upper level again any time soon)
Thanks!

I didn’t like the idea of replacing my snubbers routinely so I wrapped a piece of electrical tape around the whole thing to hold it in place and reduce the risk of it breaking. No for everyone but you don’t see it much and the black “hides” better than the bright blue snubber anyways. I think it’s really unlikely to break again with the tape and to be fair if it does the take should hold the snubber in place anyways. Just a thought and if you don’t like it it’s really easy to remove. Just a thought and is working well for me so far.

#20125 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

How bout a pic?

I can get another pic if needed but I have the right side with the electrical tape off so you can see the difference. I made a complete loop around the maybe 1” metal guide/bracket so it has some holding power. I think the black blends in better actually.

8030DA0C-A24E-44FF-8D16-F3FBDDC003E6 (resized).jpeg8030DA0C-A24E-44FF-8D16-F3FBDDC003E6 (resized).jpeg
#20147 2 years ago

I’ve really enjoyed this thread…unfortunately, not so much lately. I would like to start enjoying it again and would just kindly ask all to be respectful. Opinions of all are welcome but my preference is it’s just done in a cordial way. I have benefitted from the help / instruction / videos from zaphX both in this and other forums (especially with LTG not with JJP anymore ) and the help / thoughts / energy of vespula. So I thank you both. I also understand it’s an open forum and this is just my opinion- I’d personally just rather read about pinball. We all agree this is an awesome game - let’s keep it an awesome forum for all to enjoy.

2 weeks later
#20562 2 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

JJPPOTC got a little brother! So excited I was finally able to join the club! Got a screaming deal locally on an LE. HUO, only a few hundred plays. All decked out with Liors mods; skull shooter housing, bullet shooter rod, amps. Has mirror blades, lighted flipper buttons, ramp signs, topper. Seller even threw in a Kliptsch sub-woofer. Game is amazing!
My brother who isn't into pinball specifically had played GNR at a local place during my son's birthday party about 6 months ago. He loved it, freaked out when he started a song and played it the whole party. Then we had him over for my daughter's birthday party today. Took him down to the gameroom and didn't tell him I had picked up a GNR. He saw it and yelled, "You got a GNR?!?!" So much fun to see him so into it and rocking out. No other pin he's played on route or in my collection has had the affect on him that GNR does.
[quoted image]

Sounds like a sweet machine! Welcome to the club! As a follower of all of your rule and strategy insights on the POTC thread, I’m excited to have you join and give your thoughts on GNR. My first love is still pirates but nothing gets me amped up like GNR!

#20581 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

No problem. It took a lot longer than normal as I tried various configurations on the magnet fan to get the noise down and I had the weird phantom temp increases when nothing is happening (ball in shooter lane) that I eventually chalked up to a bug in the software.

Thanks man! Already blew one magnet coil and have been waiting for these before I installed the new one so I didn’t blow that one also. I assume it’s best to install the new coil before the fans otherwise I’ll have to uninstall the fan to access the coil - right?

#20658 2 years ago
Quoted from Ponzie:

Was waiting for the Diverter/Magnet fan set to get added to the site to combine on shipping!
Set on order!!
Really interested to see the difference after virtually everyone listing this as a TOP mod for the machine.

No need to wait they are ready!!! Also it is free shipping over $100 I believe so doesn’t matter anyways. Get them ordered and start crushing it!

1 week later
#20794 2 years ago

So everyone knows with regard to 3D printing. A number of public libraries offer 3D printing services for free. I have used this for a couple of small mods for pinball and the spotlight linkages with the thingiverse links sent to your local library may be all that you need. Just something to look into if you need something simple printed.

1 week later
#20964 2 years ago

Anyone have a good “fix” or adjustment for the factory center scoop metal “wings” lifting up? They don’t really bend back flat and stay. I was just about ready to get the Cliffy for it but sounds like it’s a PITA to install and it has its own issues with lifting or breaking. Thanks!

2 weeks later
#21183 2 years ago
Quoted from Xelz:

What’s the consensus on installing Cliffy’s scoop protector vs. keeping the OEM part?

I kept the original part also - mostly bs I heard the cliffy is a time consuming job to install. I do however have both of the side “tabs” lifting. Sounds like Cliffy also has this issue at times. I am curious if anyone with the original has had luck bending the tabs back down? I tried but they are metal and just seem to lift back up as soon as the pressure is off of them. Anyone have any tricks?

2 months later
#22105 1 year ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

I own both a GnR and Hobbit. Two totally different and amazing games.
Hobbit has some of the most interesting and varied shots and modes ever done. The 3 banks of individually-controlled drop targets are put to stunning use in this game. So many different shots. Moving targets, hit the targets behind but NOT the drops, and of course, the final kill shot for Smaug. I agree this is probably the most stunning moment in Pinball. It's hard for a reason: you not only have to get to this point, then you have to load the Windlass (captured ball shot by solenoid from the left outdrain), it fires to the upper flipper, and you have one chance to hit the switch behind a single, dropped target in a 5-target bank. This simulates killing Smaug by placing a careful shot through a missing scale in his armor. Do it, and the flippers go dead, balls drain, and you get an amazing video sequence. Anyway, theres much more to Hobbit: best action button use in any game, choices throughout at each stage, "monster" popups that force you to change shots and strategy, etc. If you want a mode-based adventure game with varied shots and objectives, this is it. It's the better playing game of the two.
GnR is the best overall pinball experience. The highlight in GnR is the stunning song/light choreography. There's nothing like the light shows on GnR anywhere in pinball, and the overall integration with the videos and songs is just amazing. I never tire of reaching Dirty Robot. The yellow/red light theme and some of the best video animation ever done accompany this mode. GnR does have some rule-based strategy to optimize scoring. The rules do have some complexity if you want to maximize points, but you don't need to know much to just enjoy getting song modes and see each unique light show. Patch collecting, for example, is a deep rabbit hole that will takes months to fully explore. GnR is the better walk-up-and-play machine for guests and friends that aren't pinheads.
My biggest criticism of GnR is the static nature of the layout. Unlike Hobbit, you pretty much shoot the same shots and field for each mode. This isn't bad. 98% of all pinballs are this way. Hobbit isn't, which makes it really dynamic with its combination of modes, bank targets, and popups.
Really, you can't wrong with either. Both are in my personal top-10.
[quoted image]

100% agree! I have both, both are keepers for these exact reasons.

1 month later
#22697 1 year ago

So just played again after a few games all of my left lanes (both in and one out) as well as my left sling just stopped working but the left flipper is ok. Switch test doesn’t respond. Some transistor or not plugged in correctly? Thanks for any help!

3 months later
#23786 1 year ago

if you hit a clean left loop shot and then hold the right upper flipper does your ball consistently hit the coma target? Mine used to do this and now it hits just below it. I tried adjusting the flipper alignment but if I raise it up enough to hit the target then the ball hits the flipper tip even at rest and deflects it SDTM. I did move my machine and re-level it but seems like that slight a change wouldn’t effect the ball path that much on a fast shot but I’m not sure. Any ideas as I like the easiest hit on the coma target with the clean left loop shot? Thanks!

1 year later
#28217 15 days ago

Sorry if this was discussed prior but I couldn’t find it. I cashed out of a song (I think it was This I Love” for 210 mil) and the game kinda crashed. Screen stayed white and lights on playfield kept flashing like they do after you cash out but it was “stuck” in that and never kicked out a ball and even after putting a ball in play, no switches registered. So I just had to reboot. Anyone else have this issue and is it only with certain songs?

1C8AE00A-E658-441F-8C85-35F46CC105C1 (resized).jpeg1C8AE00A-E658-441F-8C85-35F46CC105C1 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 210.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

6,790 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silverthorne, CO
$ 11,000.00
8,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Old Saybrook, CT
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hornersyndrome.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread?tu=hornersyndrome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.