IMG_20240413_155854 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155858 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155856 (resized).jpg
IMG_1426 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_2636.gif
IMG_2002 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Feature matrix listing differences for each edition. Posted by Dallas_Pin (3 years ago)

Post #414 GNR Manual - link to JJP site Posted by knobstone (3 years ago)

Post #434 Full Song List Posted by Concretehardt (3 years ago)

Post #755 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Guitar Neck Lock Release tip Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #1017 TECH: LIGHTING. Troubleshooting spot light motion issues Posted by wdbthree (3 years ago)

Post #3837 How to use jukebox mode Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #4098 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Flipper adjustment tips Posted by Eskaybee (3 years ago)

Post #5052 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Shooter rod power. Change barrel spring. Posted by WannaPinball (3 years ago)

Post #5235 Scorbit jjGnR integration FAQ Posted by jsa (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider highdef.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#162 3 years ago

TBL comes with a rug, so I was hoping that JJP would throw in zebra Spandex pants with my LE.
While I'm disappointed to find out this isn't the case, I am glad to see the extra cost go to BOM.

Congrats to JJP (even though my financial advisor will soon hate them).

#365 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Impressions time! In total about 2 hours of playtime so not final but initial feedback:
Before I start, major props to HELCION BREWERY in Pittsburgh. The king of bar pinball - no one is even close. I'm extremely lucky to have them in my backyard. Great guys too (Chris and Chris). Check them out if you're even close to the area. Worth the drive or plane ride!
I'll start with innovation. JJP marketing bone head move of saying innovation was coming and then doing nothing for months. Did they deliver? For me, keeping a level head on what that could be - this pin DEF has something I've never seen before - the concert feel with the lights, the sound, the integration - those light bars seem dumb but think about the opening to your favorite live event - the coordination with the lights and sound. I've never seen that truly integrated into a pinball machine and JJP brought it here. Those light bars on the side really helps deliver it b/c it's not just one constant light but it changes throughout, including strobing. GnR will be the king of this and the benchmark has now been set higher than I've seen before. For me, that qualifies as innovation. Check that box. If you're looking for crazy POTC toys, it's not in there. Spinning record is whatever. This is the new JJP that will give us quality but not the kitchen sink b/c that strategy ended up bankrupting them. Seems like this balanced approach is paying off financially and I'll take it vs. no JJP at all.
Sound, theme integration - amazing. Just watch a video of this game. I will say that to get the full effect this game offers, you need to like GnR. I've been to their concerts before and this is literally like being transformed back to Giants stadium. Some easter eggs in there too btw - I heard CRAZY from Dialed In during the game!
Animations/LCD - this is a real stunner. They literally used graphics from GnRs concerts and you can tell. It's just over the top professional. Potential spoiler for those that are very sensitive.....warning......one of the most impressive LCD effects was not even tied to a song. Out of nowhere i qualified for a mode that basically had the LCD start the UNIX boot up screen of GnR and then it crashed - the effects turn to a "cold war" style China vs USA mode that is so amazing with this 80s touch, Call of Duty Black Ops feel to it. It was SO good. Best part was - it was single ball play! More on that later but JJP absolutely crushed this.
So far, game is off the charts for me. Cabinet art is all subjective. I'm down with the LE no question. Best of the bunch IMO. Really matches that concert feel.
Gameplay - the biggest question going in - how the hell does this game actually play. To summarize, it's tough. Drains on left and right (especially right) are a killer. I'm not very good but this game plays very fast and drains easy off slings. I liked that though. It might explain though why we so much of the next thing I'll speak about (MBs). But the layout - it's great. Upper PFs often times obscure your view but that's not the case here. It's big enough to be fun but not an eye sore. The clear ramps help as well. Bottom line I never felt like I couldn't see enough of the PF due to the upper. Left loop, left ramp, right ramp, that sweet center spinner (love that shot), right shot straight to the pops, right orbit and right shot under the top right flipper. All nice and feel great. Right upper flipper does have two shots (full wrap and half wrap) and that full wrap can be repeated however it's a long distance and needs a lot of speed going in. Don't expect maiden rips all day but it's more doable than JP2 - just need speed. Typically drops into the pops. Magnet in b/w the pops as well to hold the ball and then drop. Upper PF has two shots (left to bass and drain down), right and lock on the guitar. It's fast, and doesn't get in the way. Overall - great but not as creative as you might want.
Code - It's very multiball heavy right now. This is my biggest and really only concern. I hear people saying it's risk vs reward - you don't need to do MB if you don't want to. That's like saying you can drive the car but keep it in 3rd gear all day. It's foolish to say b/c the game isn't meant to be played like that. If you want the highest score you better go for MBs. The risk vs reward is really cashing out and not pushing your luck on songs which is cool but ultimately, I felt like I saw MB way way too much. It's random MBs that happen and then songs are almost always MB where a ton of balls are released b/c you either locked them earlier or add a ball, which seems to be very easy to achieve. I understand it allows the play to hear more of the song - essentially padding the time but it's just too much. When you guys see more of the game, you'll understand and something that at JJP I just can't believe someone didn't say - wow too many MBs although I also don't understand how they allowed it so much in POTC and with the way Wonka was coded - I can prob understand it more! Code in general though is very solid. A lot to do - pretty clear on what to shoot at, including during songs. Screen in the back does a great job telling you what's going on, informing you via text with what to shoot - and is super clear (looks to be better quality than prior screens). Speaking of the picture in picture on the main LCD goes back and forth b/w concert and effects so you get both. Pretty cool.
btw - call outs right now are a mixed bag. I think they're fine. It's done by the band members and as you can imagine they aren't too excited to do it BUT it's not Stranger Things bad. It's perfectly fine - some are better than others but overall it's not something to overly hype. Solid enough.
Bottom line, it's a special game if you're a GnR fan. It's a good to OK game if you don't care for the band. MB needs to be balanced. JJP knocked it out for me and should get major credit for successfully being the first company to stealth launch a game day 1 with complete code (I know Stern tried it with Stranger Things but well, yeah).
Great job JJP!

Thanks for your honest thorough review.

#706 3 years ago

I don't care what anyone says. This game is bad ass. Don't nerd out on flow, layout, or rules. Enjoy this masterpiece for the experience, execution, and engineering it delivers. You do not have to be a GNR fan to respect and appreciate this machine.

It is a keeper for sure. I never in a million years saw myself getting a JJP game (let alone NIB), but I am a fan for life if they keep this going. IMO, as it stands now, they're the "Tesla" of this hobby.
Kudos for Slash for believing in JJP and having faith in what they could deliver. And of course, props to JJP for coming through and making a statement in the process.

2 months later
#4578 3 years ago

Forgive me if someone already mentioned this, but I would love to see JJP implement the ability to create and save player profiles in a future firmware update.

I love how TBL has this feature and wish others would do the same, particularly for home users. It makes it so much easier to save scores and/or achievements.

#4655 3 years ago

I am 6' 0".
Slash (who is 5' 10") is somehow still taller than me in the selfie photos, including when I stand on my toes like Black Swan.

I hope they shrink him down in the next code update.

#4753 3 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

The specs say it has bluetooth "v2.1 + EDR" (whatever that means) and it's been working flawlessly. So maybe that's a clue? Perhaps the gear inside the pinball machine is more reliable with an older Bluetooth device?

EDR = Enhanced Data Rate
It was a much bigger deal back when the BT 2.0 spec was released.

I have been told that we will soon see a software update that should hopefully address the existing BT connectivity issues.

This is my Yamaha SR-C20A sound bar ("topper"), which honestly outperforms any similar-sized/priced Bose, Sony, or Vizio.
It has two full size drivers, dual passive radiators, and a built-in 3-inch "sub." You can also turn off the front LED indicators within the app.

20210109_221227 (resized).jpg20210109_221227 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#5263 3 years ago
20210125_212608 (resized).jpg20210125_212608 (resized).jpg
#5268 3 years ago

Bluetooth is still wonky.
You can make an initial connection with a previously connected BT device, but as with v1.08, you won't be able to reconnect again once you power down the game.

#5392 3 years ago
Quoted from adrock:

For those who have their machine already, can you plug in headphones? Or do you have to use the Bluetooth?
It’s Bluetooth only, what models have confirmed to work well?
Thx

The BT connectivity on this game is still jacked. You'll get to make an initial connection, but you won't be able to discover or reconnect that same BT device once you power down the game. Same applies if you try to use two different sets of the same product (for example, two sets of Galaxy Buds+). Based on my testing, once it recognizes one, it won't recognize anything with the same device name.

HEADPHONES
I have successfully tested the following:

- Bose Sports Earbuds
- Jabra Elite 75T
- Sony WF-SP800N
- UA/JBL Project Rock X
- Yamaha E700
**Recognized AirPods Pro, but would not connect.

For now, I recommend a good set of over-the-ear wired cans (preferably something decent with 40mm drivers). ANC is nice, but not mandatory.

SPEAKERS
I have successfully tested the following:
- Yamaha TSR-700 AVR (output to 4 in-ceiling speakers above the game + 8" sub)
- Yamaha C20 soundbar
- JBL Control X
- JBL Charge

As you can imagine, the in-ceiling speakers were awesome. The powered JBL Control X stereo pair is also sweet. I would place the sound bar at #3.
Don't bother wasting your time with a small portable speaker. Your ears deserve better, so just stick with the GNR speakers.

Of course, for the speaker, you can always go wired vs. Bluetooth, but I prefer the versatility that comes with Bluetooth.

I'm positive that JJP will get it worked out.

#5421 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Can you do a line out to your home entertainment system

Absolutely, but it would be a semi-long run to my AV receiver. Will probably do it if the BT fix takes longer than expected.

#5423 3 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

FWIW, this hasn't been my experience for about 90% of the re-connections via bluetooth.
I did, on one night, have a tough time re-pairing a previously paired soundbar. It just wasn't coming up in the list of 'available devices' onscreen, so I power-cycled the game and tried it again, but same thing. (Using my smartphone to confirm, I knew the soundbar was available but the pin wasn't seeing it.) I power-cycled it yet again and yep, there it was.
I could also swear that sometimes the list appears to be cached versus real-time but yeah, having spent a couple of weeks trying out roughly six different products, a process that involved me connecting a new one, then disconnecting, switching it out for another one, re-connecting, going back to the first one, etc. etc. etc. I'm here to tell ya that my experience hasn't been the same as yours. (All while the pinball was up and running - none of this swapping in/out required me to bounce the system save for that one time I described above.) Note that one soudbar was clearly incompatible. No clue why but it was tough to pair and once I did get it to pair the audio was absolutely corrupted and cut out completely at least 80% of the time. The rest were fine.
I agree it would be great to get this sorted. What would really be better than just making sure the list of available devices is consistent would be to introduce an option to set one as preferred so that when we re-power up the game the device will reconnect automatically.
Will it be an issue for me long-term? Probably not because I figure that now that I'm pretty much done and have made my selection I will change the connection to wired and it won't matter anymore. I left it as wireless so I could always go back to the internal speakers for comparison with what I thought would ultimately succeed them.

This is exactly why I prefer to keep it wireless as well, especially if you want to switch to game speakers when someone is playing a different game in the room. I also agree 100% on the need to auto pair at power-up like you can with any other BT source.
Hoping they can work it out. This is my 1st JJP and I love the feature when it works.

#5461 3 years ago
Quoted from pingrrrl:

I played with headphones for the first time. It was muc easer to hear the different call out, instruments, and different sounds. Does using external speakers have a similar superior sound to the headphones? In other words, are external speakers worth it?

I think you'll notice more detail with headphones.
I also like the stereo mix, which is why headphones are ideal. For example, if you drain on the left outline, in my opinion, you'll notice and appreciate it more in the mix using headphones. I also love the ability to play late at night.

On a related note, I also love hearing Axl's "miiiiiiinnnnnneeeeeee...........yeeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh!"

#5486 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Hey when you guys play with headphones, how loud is the pin with no sound?

Depends on how loud you scream when you drain before hitting a jackpot or encore.

It's not too bad.

1 week later
#5866 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

It’s freaking awesome! This is Me, getting pumped and ready for a song mode.[quoted image]

And this is me when "This I Love" is the song.

tenor.giftenor.gif
3 weeks later
#6933 3 years ago

Not throwing salt on any one, but in my experience, the Wi-fi downloads have been pretty smooth. The latest 1.17 update was fastest one yet.
There was no need to keep the coin door open either (but I did this last time just in case).

Not like USB updates are difficult, but it sure beats having to take off the translite like other modern games.
Thank you JJP! Keep 'em coming.

1 week later
#7311 3 years ago
Quoted from BeeGee6533:

My GC scores lingered around 15-16 million for about 2 months. Then I started breaking 25 million. A week later 53 million and then recently a 115 million GC. My good games tend to be in the 30-40 million(I probably get a few of those a week?) For perspective though Karl Diangelo seems to get 100 million + all the time. His higher scores seem to be in the 250-300 mil range. And that dude is amazing at pinball. Collecting the Fender patch and other band member/sponsor patches leads to band frenzy in song mode which can really Jack up song jackpots. Great score! 35 million is nothing to sneeze at!

Nice job!
FWIW, I am decent player but my best score is still in the teens.
I will probably get rocking now that I've finally mastered knowing when to cash in on jackpots, especially when it's a song that I'm not A-1 on.
I'm now OK with just scoring 4-6 million or so from a jackpot if it means keeping the ball alive. I love the risk/reward rule play.

I love the rush I get when a 20-Second Ball Save gets awarded during a song right as the last ball is draining. Good times!

#7312 3 years ago

I'm curious to know what are some of the songs that players are striving to achieve or conquer in every game.

What is your favorite song in terms of scoring maximum points?
What is your least favorite song in terms of challenge and difficulty?

#7318 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Know when to cash in? That’s like knowing when to sell a stock. Karl never cashes....
[quoted image]

I get it, but he's an awesome player.

#7320 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

When you cash for me depends on a lot of things. You need to know the songs and how close you are to the applause jackpot. You also need to pay close attention to any ball saver mystery awards. If the song is super hard (like Coma) I’m much more likely to cash in if I have a decent jackpot built up.

Right on.
Coma is definitely a challenge for me. Good to know that I'm not alone.

1 week later
#7795 3 years ago

I don't understand how 21 full-length studio master recordings are not enough, especially if you stack against MET, ACDC, or Beatles.
We got "Live and Let Die!" You don't need more songs; you need more Ritalin.

People forget about music publishing and the costs & challenges behind it. Will we ever see another music pin with 21 or more songs in same price range? As Spock would say, "highly unlikely."
That artist or band would need to be just as passionate about pinball as Slash.

#7875 3 years ago

Minor software update request for JJP:

Please do not allow graphics to overlay the fuse on the main monitor during Ignite the Flames Multiball.

For example, the "Get the Extra Ball" alert with skulls can appear on-screen while the fuse is running during Ignite the Flames Multiball. When this happens, the player can longer see the fuse, so you miss out on the jackpot since there is no way to tell when to hit the Action button. I'm not sure if it's isolated to just Extra Ball, but perhaps there is way to prevent covering the on-screen fuse counter while it's running down.

1 week later
#8048 3 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

You do realize there are hundreds of parts in the machine, right? So far it seems they might have missed a marginal batch of slingshot rings and some thermal fuses... Congrats, you can buy A $.50 part, buy thousands of a few hundred parts and let me know how that goes.
That's pretty damn good considering everything that is going into this machine.
You guys are crazy.

It's actually $0.50 PLUS $10.00 for shipping.

1 week later
#8641 2 years ago
Quoted from lpgnr:

Anyone having issues with the decals on the side of the machine coming off or wrinkling? The decal on my right side is starting to wrinkle near the flipper button, which sucks
[quoted image]

My cabinet artwork arrived wrinkled around the flipper button as well (left side). I'm not trying to get into the decal application hobby/business, but JJP sent me the decal replacement for that side. Props to fooflighter for suggesting a heat source. I didn't think to get it hot first, so I will give it another try.

#8729 2 years ago

Coming soon from PinMonk

PINMONK (resized).jpgPINMONK (resized).jpg
#8733 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Um, that's a freaking 33dBA fan. Pinmonk would never sell something that obnoxiously loud.
Unfortunately, I also do not understand the joke. Replacement for broken spotlight servos? I don't get it.

Forget it. You took it way too literal. I did install one of your fans on TNA, so thank you.

#8982 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Just watch some YouTube videos on it , totally stupid idea if you ask me . The last thing you would want is bright lights coming from behind your TV .

It is actually called "bias lighting." Believe it or not, it is actually better for your eyes (less fatigue and strain) as it improves perceived contrast/black levels. You'll often see this done in professional editing bays.

Ideally, this subtle light should be white/6500K, so blasting red or purple light behind a monitor is defeating the purpose.

#9002 2 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

I use dryer sheets.

So your game smells like Snuggle?

#9374 2 years ago

I'm not trying to come off as woke or PC, but I noticed that the condom, bra, and underwear patches are still accessible in "non-adult mode."

This does not offend me one bit. I do not have kids and I'm very Rated R, however, I will soon have friends with kids finally coming to visit me. This is a game with flashy lights and cool toys, so kids are naturally going to gravitate towards it. Perhaps I am wrong.
It's just that I have a small collection, so it's not like they can walk over and play TMNT or Wonka while the adults throw down on GNR.

The game is obviously not intended for younger players, but it would make me feel more comfortable having the ability to hide sensitive patches like a condom or women's underwear when an 10-year old girl or boy is in my home. I would definitely want to have this as an option if I had a daughter.
It makes me a bit uneasy. I don't want to put my friends in an uncomfortable spot explaining or trying to hide "stuff" to their kid(s). The same applies if I decide to throw a work party sometime in the future. I want to be sensitive to those who are sensitive. Make sense?

Again, I know this is GNR, but I do wish there was a way to hide these particular patches, including the lighter. At the very least, perhaps they could become something else in Family Mode, even if each one is missing a callout. One could argue about guns not being kid-friendly, but there's no getting around it.

How do you parents deal with it? Are the kids kept off-limits?
In all seriousness, how does JJP address this in somewhere like Utah? I imagine their endgame is to sell as many games as possible.

#9408 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

What's the world come to .
Condoms , bras and undies and even lighters are now offensive ?

Isn't Utah the state where you can have as many underage wives as you want , I wouldn't be looking to them for moral guidance .[quoted image]

Did you not read my post?! I clearly said that I am far from offended, but it is young kids that I worry about. Some parents are sensitive to it and it's not my place to say or dictate what is right or wrong.
What's wrong with me trying to avoid that situation?

#9415 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If parents are cool with kids playing a Guns n Roses pin, they likely have an idea what's in there, content-wise, unless they were living under a rock all these years. I'd say you're being nice turning the songs with adult language off for them.

Both of my games are adult themes, so I have no choice if they want to play my games.

Quoted from punkin:

I read your post mate.
It made me sad.

Not that any of this matters, but I was buying Richard Pryor, Andrew Dice Clay, and Eddie Murphy cassettes in grade school. I started going to bars at 17 and was hanging out on tour buses when I was 19. I toured with bands like Slayer and Black Sabbath (a band that influenced GNR) as soon as I hit my 21st birthday. I am definitely the wrong person to lecture on morality and censorship.

Unfortunately, you have to walk a thin line in today's world and I wanted to know how parents navigate it. Just because YOU think it is OK, doesn't mean others do.
I never once said I agreed with it, nor did I create the "movement." Again, I am the wrong guy to lecture on this topic. I was simply asking this question since I do not have kids.

#9420 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

I didn't lecture you mate. Merely commented on my emotional state and confirmed that i had indeed read your post.
No lecture at all.

Cheers! I wasn't attacking you.

I didn't mean for this discussion to spiral. I was asking a simple (and reasonable) question. Trust me, I don't like tip-toeing in my own home, but I also want my friends to bring their kids over without me feeling "weird" about it. Sure, I could simply keep the machines off, but they're the first things you see when you walk into my place.

I got hooked on pinball at age 8 by playing an old EM at someone's house. I know it's lofty thinking, but I really want kids to play pinball.
Gen Z isn't tracking to keep this hobby going, but I'd like to do my part, just as most people here are doing. Again, wishful thinking. I'm facing the same situation in the home theater category.

I didn't mention that I have TBL sitting next to the GNR.
They can decide whether it's kosher or not.
It still isn't a bad idea to have an official "family mode."
20210509_141051 (resized).jpg20210509_141051 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#10585 2 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:How is the shaker in this game?yes or not worth 150.00

Worthy!

3 months later
#15470 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballGalore:

Since day one, My lockdown bar sits well in position yet the lock latch underneath, has some obstruction that won’t allow it to move back into locked position (pushed all the way to the right). This way, it interferes with the coin mech from the inside.
What’s the solution? I’ve tried playing with the 2 screws on the bar but didn’t notice it did much.

Quoted from dug:

Do you recall what way you bent the tabs? Mine is a pita as well to get in the locked position.
Thanks!

I am glad to know that this issue isn't isolated to me. Can you guys kindly post your solution with the lockdown bar if you resolve it?

#15733 2 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Is this what everyone is ordering? I ordered washers from Titan but the holes are to small.
[quoted image]

Correct. PBL puts them all in separate baggies and includes a printout of where to place the washers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 11,000.00
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 210.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider highdef.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread?tu=highdef and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.