pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5643 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5642 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2460.gif
IMG_0503 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2451 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 1.26.23 PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Feature matrix listing differences for each edition. Posted by Dallas_Pin (3 years ago)

Post #414 GNR Manual - link to JJP site Posted by knobstone (3 years ago)

Post #434 Full Song List Posted by Concretehardt (3 years ago)

Post #755 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Guitar Neck Lock Release tip Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #1017 TECH: LIGHTING. Troubleshooting spot light motion issues Posted by wdbthree (3 years ago)

Post #3837 How to use jukebox mode Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #4098 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Flipper adjustment tips Posted by Eskaybee (3 years ago)

Post #5052 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Shooter rod power. Change barrel spring. Posted by WannaPinball (3 years ago)

Post #5235 Scorbit jjGnR integration FAQ Posted by jsa (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#418 3 years ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

Interested in seeing that the drum sticks have a mylar coating. Was wondering how they would hold up over time.

I heard on the stream last night that they were clear coated. I’d expect that provided I treat them just like my playfield, and there are no problems with the clear they should be fine.

#541 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Shame covering up artwork like that.

It’d be a lot of work (at least for me) but you could make a custom apron to show it off. I look at it as just another hidden thing on the playfield that is cool to occasionally discover.

#544 3 years ago

For those of you who already have it in house, how does travel work? Do the little lights show you where you are, or have been?

#547 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

That is one rule that I need to lean more about. The cities on the map turn green with you have been there, but I'm not sure the scoring benefits, importance, etc.

Thanks! I heard on one of the streams that there were some “power ups” for the band members associated with it. Can’t wait to dig in myself.

#554 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I am not one of those shitting on GnR at all, looking forward to playing it and possibly owning it.
But ... played some IMDN last night and something about that game is just a blast.
Def. not as pretty or as full as GnR .. but dam is it a fun machine.

Agreed. IMDN is my most played game, sits right next to my Aerosmith, and my GRLE will sit on the end of my trio of dad rock pins. I’ve never met a pin I didn’t like, but I love the music pins, and G&R will be my capstone

#561 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Eh, they could have just left that area blank, instead there's a cool easter egg for people who get into the guts. I love it.
The artist might not have realized it would be covered up too, it can be hard to know sometimes depending on how much access to a physical game they had. I know there's some art on Alien I spent time on and later realized nobody would ever see unless they took the game apart.
I had exactly zero physical access though, so it can depend. First time I ever saw a printed playfield was at Expo on the prototype games.
I can tell you this: doing a playfield isn't the easiest job. It's like doing a big poster, combined with a user interface, where everything you do is dictated by the placement of 3D objects that you have no control over and might obscure anything from any angle.
I'm really impressed with the GNR playfield personally. Very solid from a technical drawing standpoint, but also just very balanced with how it fits the space and the inserts etc. It's not minimalist in any way, but it doesn't feel too busy either.
Has anyone heard who the artist is? Be nice if they got credit for the great work.

https://romidion.bigcartel.com/

Guy named Dayne Henry Jr I think.

#657 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I figured out what cities do. It was listed in the TWIP article the entire time. [quoted image]

That’s a lot of loops. There are like 50 little lights. I wonder if there is a patch that assists with that.

#689 3 years ago

Anyone have a line on a good color match pingulp?

#692 3 years ago

Already found that one for ~$15 cheaper. Beggars can’t be choosers and all, but was digging around to see if I could find one to match the trim. Curtains matching the drapes and all.

#924 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Can anyone explain how the "travel" inserts work and how they factor into the rule-set?

I asked a few pages ago, and was told the lights turn green for the cities you’ve visited. There are some band member power ups at certain cities, and the rules list 2 multiballs associated with visiting x number of cities and for visiting all cities.

I’m hoping there is a patch to help that along because there are ~50 cities/lights

#928 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Yes there are patches that can help for SURE. I've got to Tour Multiball one time so far.

Was it a 2 ball mode? Do you remember if it was lucrative at all?

1 week later
#1817 3 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Theres still something on the left front corner of the pin that rattles briefly that I cant pinpoint. Drives me nuts.

You should really tighten up that tilt bob

1 month later
#3514 3 years ago
Quoted from robnotto:

Use the action button to snap when the pictures are taken & leverage WIFI to connect to Sonos. Or convince Sonos to add Bluetooth

The Sonos move has Bluetooth.

1 month later
#5256 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Soooo, does anybody know a rough ETA on delivery of LEs if you were ordering in the next week or so? I’m guessing there’s a several month backlog but curious if distributors or JJP have an ETA

I ordered the day of the reveal, and I’m still waiting... so I’d think ~3 months, but really that’s just a guess. No idea what their backlog looks like.

1 month later
#6641 3 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I’ve skimmed the latest, and apologize if this is redundant...I ordered an LE in January 2021...any idea at timing...6 months...1 year? Need to make room and a rough ETA would be great.

I ordered on 10/8, and I’m still waiting if that gives you any idea.

3 months later
#11480 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Congrats on the game! I’m waiting for my distro to receive inventory. Hopefully soon now that they are shipping US again.

I was just notified that mine is shipping in 30 days… pinball star is the distributor, and ordered on 10/7.

1 month later
#12665 2 years ago

It’s been a long wait…

A0D470AB-8D5D-41D1-A4E2-8B15FC115183 (resized).jpegA0D470AB-8D5D-41D1-A4E2-8B15FC115183 (resized).jpeg
#12670 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Exciting, it's been awhile since we've had an unboxing. I see July 2021 is the build date. Looking forward to play field pictures and real time updates on the overall play field. Also curious which limited edition number you got! And the usual minutia such as which album sticker. ... Plus what mods are in your immediate future? Congrats!

No mods for me other than maybe plastic protectors. I think the album is Lies, and I didn’t even pull out the LE plaque.

Just did the once over to make sure everything was tight, signed up for Scorbit and got a couple games in.

I’ve got a lot to learn with both the game rules, and how to get scorebit to work

#12672 2 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

Glad you are enjoying it. May I ask when you placed your order?

A looong time ago… 10/8/20.

#12832 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

On the latest builds being sent out, are the flippers set so that the ramp is backhand-able from the left flipper? Mine was like that initially, but I lowered them both to make the left orbit easier from the right flipper. But of course I can no longer back hand the ramp.
Just curious how they are being sent now.

Yep, just got mine last week, and the left ramp is easily backhand-able.

1 week later
#13126 2 years ago
Quoted from cybevenom:

Not only does it resets the timer it also multiplies the jackpot for powerchord when you collect it by locking all the balls.

Well that explains so much. A ton to learn on this game.

#13334 2 years ago
Quoted from pduffy:

Thanks for the extra info! I had a feeling I blew it, I just wasn’t aware of the applause jackpot. I missed out on a LOT! Lesson learned. Lol

Don’t feel bad, I’ve played over 100 games and didn’t realize this. Took my high score from ~25m to ~80m last night after reading it. The applause jackpot must not stay lit for long. I can’t believe I hadn’t even accidentally gotten it before.

#13432 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

For those wondering…and I ordered direct from JJP.
[quoted image]

That’s crazy. They’ll never get to multiple games a year unless they release a stinker, or are able to speed up the builds.

2 weeks later
#14289 2 years ago

Stupid question but is there anything to watch out for when waxing the sensors (keyboard, skill shot, etc.)?

1 week later
#14794 2 years ago

I’ll occasionally get a ball stuck under the upper right flipper. While I can always get it out with a few flips, is there a known fix to prevent it?

2 weeks later
#15515 2 years ago

I’m not sure who the Scorbit guy here is, but I owe you a beer.

I just finished a horrifically long 14hr work call to find a challenge on GnR from someone I haven’t seen since COVID started, and was great to have the competition, and double the score and send the challenge back.

Just what I needed after a long day, a respite and some fun… added incentive to push the risk reward inherent in the game to come out on top.

Thanks for the cherry in my Manhattan.

2 weeks later
#16146 2 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Yessir! If you hold the action button while an album mode is available. After about 3 second it will disable the album mode and you can go about playing.
I think this is what a lot of ppl do. The album modes don't score nearly enough to be worth it. I normally lose a ball during them, and don't get badly the amount of points as a song would get me usually.
Id be willing to bet a scoring update will be in the (near) future to even it out.

I’d say give them another play if you haven’t recently. I’m not sure if or when the scoring was updated, but my high score on desert demo is ~6 million, thirst for carnage is ~4.5 million, tear down is ~4 million.

The only one I really suck at or don’t know how to play is shall we play a game as my high score on that one is ~300k.

#16308 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yay this is what I’m talking about. Now who’s Blu on here? [quoted image]

That’d be me. Headed out for vacation, but give me something to shoot for when I get back.

#16339 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I thought scorbit challenges were a one game thing, if so I failed. If not, this how I’m looking on game 3
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"b86a00c4db050921f77a2f32a7642a773c560128-1634489188-1800"};
//]]>

Last ball incoming
[quoted image]

I’ll volley back either through a game at flippers if it’s hooked up, or in a week when I get back

#16340 2 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

How can I be player 2 on Scorbit?

On the scorebit screen it should say player 1, and player 2. You just need to click player 2.

#16358 2 years ago

Hey Eskaybee it looks like you didn’t accept the challenge? You should have a gold medal on your score for beating My score?

Is that right @jsa?

#16394 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Yes please share as you learn because challenges remain mostly a mystery to me. Not intuitive. How do you know you have 4 days left? I thought you had one chance.

You have 6 days to beat it, and I think unlimited tries during that time. Based on jsa response to my post it sounds like there was a defect, and it should have given you the option to accept the challenge when Eskaybee clicked it. When you beat the challenge you get a gold medal on your score, and can send it back to the challenger or pick someone else or multiple people.

You can send a challenge by clicking your score after a game and then hitting the challenge icon, and selecting who you want to send it to.

I’ve found it to be a great way have some competitive pinball when there aren’t too many tournaments going on.

1 week later
#16875 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I got your challenge! I hope scorbit gets an update to make challenges more intuitive / interactive. Like a notification when you beat someone's challenge and can send it back to them? And a second notification if you dont beat the challenge. Maybe that exists, but can't seem to find it. Also, how long is a challenge active after you accept it? So confusing. Looking forward to more Scorbit updates. It's gotten much better over the last year, just need more lol - PS you guys rock that are coding/supporting the scorbit and achievements stuff.

Yeah it won’t let me accept the challenge either unfortunately. I wonder if there is a bug in the last update and if it is tied to sending challenges to multiple people.

When they work, you have 6 days to beat the score, and a gold medal appears on the score if/after it is beat.

I actually like the challenges more than the achievements, so I hope it gets sorted soon.

You can see that I was challenged to beat a 5m score, and bested it with a 20m score and got the gold medal. Then the score I challenged back was not beat in time (no medal)

B3401504-5D0D-4A59-93D5-66DB4145EFF7 (resized).pngB3401504-5D0D-4A59-93D5-66DB4145EFF7 (resized).png
#16987 2 years ago

@deejaypee and @joerg one of these days they’ll get scorebit fixed, but challenge beat and sent back your way.

I really think getting the band members tokens, or whatever they are combined with the patch that makes band frenzy easier is the best avenue to points, plus the standard 4 multi balls of course.

D6A961EE-5207-4DA6-B293-67B55DD824B4 (resized).pngD6A961EE-5207-4DA6-B293-67B55DD824B4 (resized).png
#16997 2 years ago
Quoted from deejaypee:

Thanks for the tips! I do not think I will be besting that score in the very near future. But dang I’m gonna try!

You will best it… that is the beauty of this game. Greed for the applause jackpot will make it so.

I got 2 million on the game before this one. There is always the next game

#17059 2 years ago

Speaking of gameplay, does anyone know what the boost from the song specific patches is? I typically ignore those and just go with whatever song is selected. I’m wondering if the specific bonus from those is greater than whatever gets taken away when you pick a song.

3 months later
#20159 2 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

Been cashing out of songs more and finding value in the extra balls. Karl’s “never cash out” strategy was limiting for my level of play.

I’ve found myself doing the same, but that’s just because I’m try to finish the 4 album modes to make it too the end.

My scores have significantly dropped as a result, but I have managed to beat 3 of the 4 in one game, so I’m getting close.

Hopefully I just need to play them all and not actually beat the modes as I’ve never finished the shall we play a game mode.

#20171 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I've never done it, but I *think* you need to play:
Slash Solo
Tour MB
All 4 album modes

Ugh. Here I was just thinking it was the 4 modes. Getting tour and slash solo in there too sounds pretty rough.

#20177 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I might be wrong! I've never gotten that far.

Nah you hit the nail on the head. I should have looked up the rules myself before starting my quest.

I may need to reduce the spins to hit slash solo from whatever the default is though. I’ve started my 4th song, after finishing 3 modes, and still didn’t start slash solo.

C65B66B7-1C86-4074-9A20-DB8C170359FA (resized).pngC65B66B7-1C86-4074-9A20-DB8C170359FA (resized).png
#20197 2 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

I agree. Lots of problems. Hard to pinpoint them all. But the main ones for me is being constrained in song level despite royally kicking ass in a song. You just get no yield if you don’t build up prior. Album modes pitiful. Slash solo guaranteed drain for no tangible benefit.
In song with good start value good scoring feels arbitrary. No rhyme or reason why one song I build to 29 million but others of similar start value and feeling of kicking ass still hanging at 3.5 million.

It all ties back to your ability to successfully start and make use of band frenzy + patch abilities. Every massive song score that I have had directly related to that and obviously start value.

#20204 2 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

I know man. The problem without setting the table properly (and repetitively) is you are path locked with no hope of recovery for a given song no matter how well you do in the song. I feel like the system should be smarter to make kicking ass in a song with a low start value and few patches somewhat interesting. It’s deflating for my friends who play for sure. For example. Why not code for the scenario where you have low start but you kick ass and have decently fast level progression or add a ball rate or you happen to hit a set of good combos provide the player with a patch lagniappe and some other non linear scoring accelerators (step function song level boost). It’s like the band in low level bar venue catches fire and you are rewarded. But no…. Here’s 650k points for your troubles. Big woop.
In this current scenario I now go for time and album level and cash out early. For a while I would just try to drain. And that is bs. Give me something to achieve in low level scenario. And heaven forbid. Make spins in slash solo worth something like pteranodon in JP. Risk reward in that mode is way out of wack.

From my perspective the game does give you that. I’ve gone into low rank songs, kicked some ass, got encore, and my encore blows up at 3k a shot, rock a band frenzy, and even if you chicken out and cash out you’re at 20k+ for the song.

That’s exactly why I love the game. The risk reward is there. Keeps the heart pounding… keeps me coming back for more. Could they adjust the scoring on slash solo, and can we play a game… sure. But the points are there, no matter your starting song score with the right patches, focus on band frenzy, and shooting for that encore.

4 months later
#21944 1 year ago

My left post on the lock just started not coming up all the way. When I go into coil tests it doesn’t seem to trigger anything but the slings and shaker. Suggestions on next steps?

#21948 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Tests - Coils - #33 left lock post. Pull out high power interlock switch on coin door frame, hit the start button. Does it work then ?
If only slings and shaker work. I'd check fuses on the I/O board. See if the led next to any of them is out, maybe you blew a fuse.
LTG : )

You’re going to need to excuse my ignorance here. I don’t know what you mean when you say ‘pull out high power interlock switch’. When I hit start to test coil it doesn’t actually fire. None of them do, except the slings and shaker. But they work in the game, even the left lock post. It‘a just barely low enough that the ball doesn’t lock. When I lock the second ball, it scoots height enough to capture it, but releases all the balls when it should drop one at a time.

#21950 1 year ago

Nope doesn’t work. I’ll pull off the glass and clean it

#21962 1 year ago

My scoop started shooting almost down the middle. I swear I saw a post that said to just add 2 washers to fix it, but I can’t find the pic. The two washers were on the left side right?

1 week later
#22083 1 year ago
Quoted from Enron64:

Hello all,
In may I bought a wonka LE and now the JJP fever has hit me hard. I sold my LZ premium and AIQ pro and am now gonna buy another JJP. I was looking at a GNR LE or a Hobbit LE. Was wondering what everyone thinks of their GNRs? If you have owned a hobbit or played one as well even better.

I like GnR better personally. GnR has more enjoyable shots and I like the rules, and art better. I like the hobbit theme better. Both are enjoyable games. Personally I’d rate them all as woz, Pirates, GnR, Wonka, and Hobbit. I haven’t played TS yet.

Your mileage may vary on any/all of the above.

4 weeks later
#22359 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I just came here to say this is the most frustrating pinball machine I have ever played. If I wasn't a big GNR fan it'd be gone already. Can't score over 2 million and all I do is swear at it lol

Follow the below steps…
1. Select fender patch
2. Plunge for skill shot
3. Hit drum ramp or spinner to the left of scoop depending on flipper
4. Lock all the balls you can, which will probably result in light multi
5. Keep hitting ramps (you’ll probably get the patch here, and end up getting both keyboards)
6. Back down to 1 ball? Go after whatever band member is missing
7. Got every band member? Lock balls till you get six which will automatically start the song
8. Hit lit shots, and scoop when green. Dump the ball in the pops when you hear the band frenzy call out
9. Is jackpot above 2 million, and the scoop is green. Drain down to 1 ball and hit the scoop
10. Cash out

GnR is all about pushing your luck. Cash out when you are happy with the jackpot.

Once you can do 1-10 above, focus on the other pieces. Build the score boost by completing all 4 multiballs before starting the song. Complete other beneficial patches before going into the song. Keep the song going and get applause jackpot. Always dump the balls in the pops during band frenzy. Lock balls during the song to get a ball added and allow you to make the shots you need easier.

You’ll get to the point where 20 mil, 60 mil, 100 mil aren’t even considered good games. Happy flipping

#22374 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaygee77:

What's the SE version of the in-song strategy? Anyone?

I haven’t played the SE version, but it should be the same with only minor changes.

I think the left ramp serves as a virtual lock, so just replace the lock balls with hit left ramp.

I have no idea how lights multi starts on the SE, or if the ramp dumps to amp or GnR lane, so depending on how all that works it may be safer to go for the frenzy multi with backhands from right flipper.

In song instead of guitar lock dump in pops where possible. Your songs are going to be way harder to manage.

Everything else should basically be the same I think.

#22393 1 year ago

You can definitely make it harder. On that duff spot, you can unlock duff after 20 pop bumper hits. I think the amount goes up after each song you do.

#22399 1 year ago
Quoted from mostater:

I thought pop bumpers were just for Frank on drums, no?

You’re right thinking wrong person

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 49.99
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ardmore, PA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
12,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 210.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread?tu=blu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.