IMG_20240413_155854 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155858 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155856 (resized).jpg
IMG_1426 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_2636.gif
IMG_2002 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Feature matrix listing differences for each edition. Posted by Dallas_Pin (3 years ago)

Post #414 GNR Manual - link to JJP site Posted by knobstone (3 years ago)

Post #434 Full Song List Posted by Concretehardt (3 years ago)

Post #755 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Guitar Neck Lock Release tip Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #1017 TECH: LIGHTING. Troubleshooting spot light motion issues Posted by wdbthree (3 years ago)

Post #3837 How to use jukebox mode Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #4098 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Flipper adjustment tips Posted by Eskaybee (3 years ago)

Post #5052 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Shooter rod power. Change barrel spring. Posted by WannaPinball (3 years ago)

Post #5235 Scorbit jjGnR integration FAQ Posted by jsa (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arzoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5130 3 years ago

Watched a friend stream his CE (with Rad-cals) unboxing a few days ago. All was looking great until the lock bar was removed and he noticed the left playfield hanger was off the receiver. Then he noticed the cabinet was cracked and the corner seam was split. Next he tried removing the backglass but the key would not turn. Closer inspection on the bottom left and right of the head had a large wood splits, so basically the head was warped. The shipper must have seriously dropped the pin to cause all the damage. Distro will make it right, but sucks to have the pin and not be able to play.

#5278 3 years ago

Well, I'm in! Guessing June-July time-frame for LE. My wife was like "You don't even like Guns N Roses, name three songs!"

#5354 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I noticed that as well, getting points when hitting the flippers. Is there something to check for that? Still on the old code. Thanks.

Usually indicates a playfield leaf-switch is so close/tight that the vibration from the flipping is causing it to trigger. Go into the switch test and hit the flippers or just (gently) bang the side or pf to see which switch is triggered, then adjust to be less sensitive.

1 week later
#5548 3 years ago

So glad I pulled the trigger last week! Just dumb luck.

1 week later
#5792 3 years ago

Very interesting post on the POTC owners thread; states that JJP has 3000 GnRs back-ordered. This from Jack himself (supposedly). I had heard rumors that JJP sold around 3500 GnRs to date, and if there are 3000 in the queue, then 3500 in total sounds about right.

3 weeks later
#6546 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm including the precision cutters with this kit for the zip tie installation since the higher CFM fans just to better control the hotter-coil JJP machines are bumping the price up over the Spooky kits that have the standard fans. Trying to give a little extra value.[quoted image]

LOL, I've got those precision cutters in my cart waiting for a larger order.

#6750 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It seems to me that there should have been a small unlocking coil added so the diverter coil enables, the diverter clicks into a locked position, diverter coil releases, but the diverter stays locked. When it needs to change the diverter back, the small coil releases the lock and the diverter pops back.

Pretty much every EM made had relays that worked that way; two coils, one to latch and the other to unlatch. Single coil is just a cheaper way to implement is my guess.

#6753 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's not like it's a lost technology or something. JJP has used it in other games.

My point exactly! POTC has as setup like that to raise and lower the chest forks.

#7094 3 years ago
Quoted from adrock:

I replaced mine with Titans from day one, and they are already getting worn down after maybe 75 games. It might just be that the multi balls on this thing wreak havoc on the rubbers

I'd give Super-bands a try. The polyurethane seems to hold up much better than the silicone. More bouncy, but more durable.

1 week later
#7660 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

From your decals to the actual cabinet , I hate to say it but your game is a lemon . Apparently jjp is only doing buybacks , which I think is pretty shity , please keep us updated on how you go , I really hope you get a satisfactory outcome .

The buy back thing is totally shitty because it means you have two choices, keep the pin with whatever factory defects it has, or buy it again at $1000 price increase, and also go to the back of the line. And this still doesn't guarantee you'll end up with a defect free pin. You'd be better off buying pre-owned, but that could cost even more than the NIB price. JJP is getting away with this because A) their product is in demand so they can do whatever they want, and B) many distros will buffer JJP and do more (than JJP) to keep their customers happy.

2 weeks later
#8087 3 years ago
Quoted from Leo13:

FYI, Flipper bats from Titan won't help. I broke mine in a little more play than the OEM ones, but nothing really satisfying.
I installed some Super-bands ones, and so far so good.

Superbands are a bit more bouncy, but by far the most durable.

4 weeks later
#9516 2 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

Sorry if this has been addressed already, but I can't believe my LE is the first to have this problem (another one in my batch has the same problem). The left ramp diverter adjustment was all the way down upon arrival from factory. 14 games in and I notice this... Clearcoat and paint dust galore. I'm sure this is my fault for not noticing prior to putting any games on it! Anyone with a new LE may want to check the position of theirs. LE #953. Looks like a design flaw of the plunger length or the adjustment length. A slow motion video with the diverter in the fully raised position shows the bottom nut barely clearing the bashed in playfield.
[quoted image]

I think the Cliffy set for GnR includes protection for this.

1 week later
#9834 2 years ago

The only way JJP will comment on the pf "tearing art" issue is if the pinball media start reporting on the problem. That's what motivated them to comment back when POTC owners had issues. As for a real resolution (beyond washers), imo that would require legal action.

3 weeks later
#11200 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The video is the same. It's a machine screw, so I'm assuming a T-nut or lock nut under the playfield at the very least, but a T-nut would be better than a lock nut, but still not sufficient given the large size of those holes.

meSz suggested on the pf issue thread that a longer T-nut might help. I would assume the post hole size was drilled larger to accommodate the T-nut, so it seems if there was a longer T-nut (one that came close to the top of the pf), the post wobble would be significantly reduced.

4 weeks later
#12308 2 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

I get I can make one but if itā€™s a known defect on a game weeks old I really shouldnā€™t have to make my own. They should just say ok and mail one.

I honestly don't know how JJP can get away with this shit, just unreal. Oh wait, no warranty, so I guess I do know.

#12320 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

This has not been my experience with JJP at all. Maybe itā€™s all in how people conduct themselves when they inquire with JJP. Or maybe they flame JJP publicly before giving them a chance.

My experiences in the past have also been good, but lately is seems people are having issues getting parts.

1 week later
#12777 2 years ago
Quoted from Chipywinie:

I appreciate your advice. but I need to know if this is the correct speaker, according to specifications it is 65w, when I have seen other LEs that have 300w. I need it to make a list of failures, I am going to return the machine.

You're the first (maybe?) to report taking advantage of JJP's buy back option. Are they refunding the entire cost including shipping?

2 weeks later
#13531 2 years ago

Any thoughts on replacing the black washers that (now) come pre-installed with clear PETG? I feel like clear would look better. I'm also still on the fence about adding Mylar rings in addition to the washers. Hoping for a Sept delivery!

#13555 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Just FYI I did not use metal washers on top of the petg I think those will add too much pressure and you're going to now create a larger circle of pooling... Again your mileage may vary I'm just saying what I've experienced over 1,700 plays using posts on bare PETG with no metal washer. The point of using the petg was that it was rigid but yet slightly flexible to allow some give at the edges I'm afraid a metal washer is going to force down too much of that contact surface and you're going to create a larger problem over time... just my opinion though

So you would recommend removing the factory washers (black and metal) and replacing with just clear PETG? I think that makes sense.

2 months later
#16437 2 years ago
Quoted from hepworthjd:

I just removed the glass from my GnR and has holding it vertically just below the top corners between finger and thumb, lowering it to the floor and when I was about 6 inches off the floor the whole thing just exploded - it actually jumped up in the air. I was left with millions of small pieces that were still crackling minutes later after I'd swept them up into a punnet.

Been there.

Just unboxed Black Night. Never touched the ground.
20190503_095712 (resized).jpg20190503_095712 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#17177 2 years ago

Obligatory "In the club" post. LE 1818! Game was almost perfect out of the box!

20211104_234939 (resized).jpg20211104_234939 (resized).jpg
#17182 2 years ago
Quoted from butterz:

My gnr le is coming today! Ordered in April from flip n out, for thoes keeping track.

We ordered from Zach back in Jan and it just arrived yesterday. Kinda glad it took a bit longer to (hopefully) get past some of the early issues.

#17271 2 years ago

Hmmm, PF at 6.9 but the bubble?... LOL

20211107_175353 (resized).jpg20211107_175353 (resized).jpg
#17283 2 years ago

Ok, my GnR was delivered last week and I'll start by saying, wow, it was worth the ten month wait! As for NIB/delivery issues, other than adjusting the lock-down bar, the game was near perfect! But jump back some months ago when all the PF issues were coming to light and I gotta say, I was seriously considering backing out (glad I didn't).

Anyway, pre-emptively I purchased, Cliffys, PETG washers, larger T-nuts, and some B/W posts, and for the past few days I've been hopefully "bullet-proofing" the pin. But I have to say, I'm not sure any of this stuff (other than the Cliffys) is necessary. Seems like JJP has done their best to mitigate the PF issues with washers (black), lock nuts, and longer/thicker posts. It's also possible the later PFs cured longer (mine has an October manufacture date on the back edge). Only time and game play will tell, but it does seem like lately there's been fewer people posting about PF delamination.

For me, I enjoy breaking down any pin I acquire (new or old), so adding the washers and a couple longer T-nuts (what a PITA), was mostly therapeutic lol. But again, imo with these later builds I'm not sure it's necessary.

Here's some pics of my over-kill...

Screenshot 2021-11-07 211252 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-11-07 211252 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-11-07 211329 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-11-07 211329 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-11-07 211344 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-11-07 211344 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-11-07 211429 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-11-07 211429 (resized).png

#17284 2 years ago

Found this loose in the bottom, anyone know where it goes?

Screenshot 2021-11-07 210951 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-11-07 210951 (resized).png

#17286 2 years ago
Quoted from Bmanpin:

Coin mech's on coin door.

Thanks!

#17291 2 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Good job. You dont seem to have used the B/W posts (thicker base) below the top lanes... there should be 2. Plus 1 on the upper pf. I would be changing those posts out quick sticks as the petg washers wont do shit after a while. Its an unfortunate fact but these playfields are still having problems specifically if you dont replace those 3 troublesome posts. How many games are on the game when those pics were taken? just curious. Not trying to alarm you as youve made a great start but i would also be putting silicon washers under the petg to absorb ball impact onto posts. The silicon helps prevent the posts/washers from digging into the pf and creating pooling and chipping problems.

Thanks. For those two posts (below the Axl lanes) I used the longer T-nuts, so the B/W posts won't work. Btw, the posts used by JJP are just as thick as the B/W. As for the silicon washers, it's conceivable they could do more harm than good by introducing additional movement? Anyway, I decided to pass on those. There's also the question of keeping the metal washers (which I did); they will provide more even pressure across the center of the PETG washer, but also prevent the washer from flexing up at the perimeter as much. Who really knows, we're all just guessing!
Screenshot 2021-11-07 215214 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-11-07 215214 (resized).png

#17312 2 years ago
Quoted from Shmilder:

Make sure you protect the two posts behind the scoop holding the side guides! Mine seemed all good but now have chipping. At least it's not normally visible.
[quoted image]

I considered adding washers to those two posts but because the scoop bracket extends under them, I didn't think it would be necessary. I'm adding the scoop cliffy today so I'll see what can be done.

#17325 2 years ago
Quoted from c818919taylor:

The one in the back too. Consider the trio a set. All three had pooling. Logic pointed to the stress from the clear band and the other post getting hit @ the scoop.
Cliffy needed a grind.
I changed the blue foam too.

Any chance you could provide a pic?

#17568 2 years ago

#17725 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I thought the same thing , originally I was like I don't want those black washers , but when I saw them , it looked as though they were meant to be there .

While we're on the subject of the washers, this is interesting. While swapping out the clear washers that came with the pin on the slings, I noticed they are not flat on the bottom. Instead, they have a raised ring in the center and outer edge. Wonder if this was by design? I can't see any advantage and I would think they might make indentations (although I didn't see any).

As an FYI, I've been putting a clear PETG washer on pretty much every post on the pin (although the black ones really do look fine) and in only one case was there any pooling, and that post was not tightened down from the factory, so it was leaning slightly and digging in to the pf from the rubber pulling.

20211116_213528 (resized).jpg20211116_213528 (resized).jpg
#17738 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Ballsy move swapping those washers on the slings. Itā€™s surprisingly the only posts that have had zero issues

Shhhh, apparently we're not allowed to discuss this. It bores the important people.

#17830 2 years ago

I noticed that my spotlights seemed erratic and when running the test it seems like they're getting the wrong signal? For example, when they should move to the upper left, instead they move to the lower left. And when they should move to the upper right they move to the upper left. It's like they're off by one cycle? The physical linkage is good and all connectors seem fine. I did disconnect the two left side cables when I removed the upper pf but I'm pretty sure I reconnected them correctly. And regardless that would not effect the right spotlight which exhibits the same strange behavior. Any suggestions or should I just contact JJP support?

#17934 2 years ago

Couple questions about the Cliffys; To install the right side shooter lane cliffy, does the entire right side LED rail need to be removed? And my set of cliffy's did not come with one for the entrance to the ball trough, is that standard?

#17936 2 years ago
Quoted from adrock:

No. There are instructions on Cliffā€™s page. You have to remote the first two nuts and loosen the others, to be able to slip it in there. I also had to loosen a few nuts on top (shooter lane exit gate, etc) since they were holding the rail down.
My kit came with the trough piece. I ordered the standard set without the extras (such as magnet and lane protectors).

Thanks for the info!

#18075 2 years ago

I'm getting a hardware error: LED/PFC (ACC) Board Communication Failure. Anyone know where this board is located? Can't find any info in the manual.

#18094 2 years ago

Thanks, but I don't think that's the pcb in the error I'm getting. I'll contact JJP support today.

#18112 2 years ago

I'm guessing this is a No, but is there a setting to disable the guitar twang sound that plays whenever a ball is added during the song modes? I find it really disrupts the rhythm of the song and is not necessary since it's obvious when a ball is added.

#18137 2 years ago
Quoted from Pablouk:

Hi all i have just ordered an GnRLE in the UK which has a delivery estimate of March 22 does anyone know if there has been any changes to the manufacturing process or parts to prevent the playfield damage around the posts on the games are being produced now on in future?

Can't speak to any changes to the manufacturing process, but JJP is using thicker posts and washers where they deem necessary. Haven't seen anyone posting pf issues recently and my Oct build was excellent. You should be fine.

#18139 2 years ago
Quoted from glpinball:

I hear it's better anecdotally, but JJP to my knowledge has never admitted playfield quality is or was an issue. Therefore they will never admit to a change which would then force them to acknowledge faulty playfields. And thus potentially open them up to being responsible to replace all the faulty ones.

Sad but true.

#18185 2 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

It is highly recommended to lock the 3 problem posts in with a longer tnut and install a PETG washer, tighten fully, but Do Not overtighen.

Although I agree the longer t-nuts could be helpful in preventing lateral post movement, installing them is not easy. The ones I used had four large prongs and there was no way I could hammer them into the pf without doing collateral damage. I ended up pre-drilling small holes, and even then it was nerve-racking getting them flush with the underside of the pf. I decided to only do those two posts above the pops.

#18199 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So I had the LED/PFC(ACC) board error suddenly after about an hour of play. It was weird because I lost all the reflective sensors (guitar lock, keyboard, and skill shot) at once. Game was essentially toast at that point, so I went to the menu and all sensors were dead. I did a hard power off/on reboot and everything was fine again.
So this makes me think that the software driver that was running those reflective sensors crashed or there was some kind of memory corruption that was entirely software-related and a full reboot reloaded everything and the driver, so it all worked again. Hopefully pinball_keefer knows this is likely the issue and is on it already.

Was this the error? If so, most likely the mini-USB connected to the LED/PFC board (under pf, lower left) is vibrating loose. I'd reseat that connector and also the USB connectors on the motherboard.
Screenshot 2021-12-03 093514 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-12-03 093514 (resized).png

#18298 2 years ago
Quoted from Mar3nBu:

Right there with you Vespula! I donā€™t know if it was my setup or if it is that Iā€™m that bad I changed the angle of the right flipper so many times already but still have the same problem. That target on the right of the ramp gets hit constantly by meā€¦ ohh well, Iā€™m not alone!

Same here, and half the time after hitting the target it rockets sdtm grrrrr!

#18299 2 years ago

Question about the magnet; is it normal that the magnet strength is not always enough to catch the ball? I've noticed when the magnet is energized, it will often slow the ball down but not catch it? It seemed to be working as expected (always catching the ball) until just recently. Just wondering if my magnet is failing (it's definitely not totally dead).

#18446 2 years ago
Quoted from atg1469:

Has anyone been able to determine what could be causing these LED/PFC Board Communication Failure issues? Recently, I've been getting these notifications popping up on my machine and all the lights will be frozen mid-game. If I turn off/on the game they'll go back to normal but typically they'll freeze again within the next game or two. The better solution so far has been to unplug the black/yellow wiring harness on the LED control board, but eventually the problem comes back. Obviously, would love to find a more permanent solution if one exists?!

I added an additional zip-tie to the micro usb cable leading into the LED/PFC board to keep if from moving. This solved the problem for me.

#18468 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Here's what I've learned. Serials indicate production, last 4 of mine is 2421, so that's my production number...license plates just a badge of honor and indicate you got one. Mine is 2406. That's pretty darn close and not three norm... And not consistent as you've noticed.. there was a time around August like you mentioned where the LP # got way off from production serials, and more than normal. People suspected a box of plates in that range got misplaced.. but that's speculation. If there were many lines in the factory the LP numbers would deviate even more I'm sure.
The serial is the only true production number that would indicate the order. It wouldn't surprise me if people with connections get to snag a specific LP.
My top 3:
Last one #5000 would be cool.
1005 or

You can definitely request a specific LE# and you don't even need any connections I just provided a few numbers to the distro when I placed the order and they got back to me with which one was still available (1818).

#18653 2 years ago

My left stage/spot light moves on both axis (so nothing is broken) but it mostly points down whereas the right spot seems mostly point straight forward, is this normal? If not, does it require a mechanical adjustment to calibrate the position? Thanks

Screenshot 2021-12-20 090152 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-12-20 090152 (resized).png
#18656 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Boot to attract mode to center the servos. Power off. Loosen screw and aim to vertical center, tighten back up.

So simple, thanks!

#18663 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

My right Spotlight is just a tad up, enough to hit my eye just slightly. Left doesn't do this. Is this considered out of alignment I wonder?
Part of me likes the effect (only on the right spot tho) since it seems to add realism to the back stage with the light just slightly shining in my eyes and looks like I'd expect the backstage to look from the audience.
So I'll leave it but just wondering if everyone else "home"position is not shining in eyes at all? arzoo might adjust to just slightly up to create a little glare on the right Spotlight a and see if you like the realism effect like I do

I added diffusers, so there's no issue with the spots aimed into my eyes. But actually, I kinda miss that concert feel, so I may remove the diffusers.

#18751 2 years ago

Any suggestions on how to prevent the ball from getting stuck at the top of the bass guitar rails? If there's not enough momentum from the VUK, the ball won't make it up onto one of the three metal lanes. I don't see anyway to make the rails more flush with the wood pf and I don't think the entire upper pf angle can be changed, so I'm at a loss on how to fix this?

#18754 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Maybe increase coil strength in settings?

I'll give that a try.

My pf incline is approximately 6.8 degrees which is normal. I'm surprised nobody else is having this issue, makes me wonder what's different about my setup?

#18757 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Have you done anything to the upper play field to change it? Remove it? Cliffies?
I remember reading the install directions of cliffy's stated to make sure the wires were routed correctly .. Maybe something is blocking the path upward?

I did remove the upper pf to add post washers, but I was careful to make sure the wire form rails where seated correctly when I reinstalled the pf. Even from day one (before I removed the pf) the ball would just barely make it up onto the rails and I was concerned about the ball getting stuck. It's happened maybe a half dozen times over the past couple months, but still annoying. Otherwise playing rock solid! Super fun!

#18760 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Gut feeling a weak or poor solder joint at the coil or others on the way to the I/O board. Be sure connectors along the way and at the I/O board are on tight.
I had a weak flipper on Hobbit. Drove me nuts. Had voltage. Discovered a wire at another coil hanging by a thread. Good enough for voltage check, not enough for power for a strong flip.
Also be sure the plunger on the VUK isn't riding too low in the coil. If it is you don't get a full WHACK.
LTG : )

I don't think there's anything wrong with the VUK coil strength, it kicks the ball up to the bass guitar pf just fine. I was just thinking that increasing the coil strength might give the ball more momentum to get up onto the rails.

#18766 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Are the little redirection pointers at the beginning too tight and robbing the ball of momentum? Mine was that way on the far right one initially. Wouldn't make it over the little hump.
Works fine now. Maybe see if those are moving freely on yours?

I loosened the three redirectors a bit and that seems to have helped - thanks for the suggestion PinMonk! The far right lane is still a bit iffy but the ball does make if over consistently in my testing. I guess time will tell. Thanks all!

#18767 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Had to bend down the middle two fingers of upper field on mine. If you take it out and set on a table you'll see

I might be able to bend the part of the rail that hooks under the pf and remove maybe a mm or two of gap between the rail and pf. Even that small amount could help, thanks.

#18774 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Glad that helped. Is your playfield pitch steep enough?

My pitch is 6.8 degrees which is pretty typical.

1 week later
#18961 2 years ago

I explained to my son the patch strategy for band frenzy and using the left flipper for shooting the left ramp and within 30 minutes he put up a 116 mil score (prior GC was 52 mil). Since then I've watched him miss a 54 mil and 78 mil jackpot in the same game, so I'm guessing he'll hit 200 mil eventually. Me... never going to happen lol!

1 week later
#19362 2 years ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Installed the topper mod by pinballmodz, looks better than I even expected.
[quoted image]

Cool! Just got mine in the mail. I didn't see any instructions included with the pinballmodz mod?

Never mind, I see there's a small card with the website for instruction.

#19365 2 years ago

GnR is such a unique pin in so many ways. For one thing, I can't think of any other pin where I've seen just as many on-line posts about scores that were LOST, as apposed to high scores that were achieved lol! Also, it's the only pin in my collection where I can be upstairs while my son plays and I can tell exactly what he's doing and how well the game is going. I get disappointed when he starts a song I like and then doesn't get the applause jackpot or cashes out early - I'm like "Hey, I was listening to that!"

#19583 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The stock bracket is terrible and the mounting way too thin for the job it has to do. I just 3D printed the one someone put on thingiverse and it's 1000x better.

Do you have a link to that print? Thanks!

1 week later
#19884 2 years ago
Quoted from deejaypee:

Why they donā€™t put the blue snubber parts up on the site is beyond me. Iā€™ve called and emailed about those and about a couple of other things and only received one replyā€”which they did not follow up on after I responded with the info they requested. Some of us have gotten phenomenal customer service from JJP. Others of us, not so much.

Pretty much the same experience for me, sent an email regarding the blue snubber and got no response. Little Shop of Games is out of stock also. Thankfully mine are still good but it's only a matter of time.

#19988 2 years ago

I've noticed that when draining from the upper PF I'm often rewarded with two GNR letters, so getting patches is faster. I'm wondering if this is by design (some rule) or if the ball is bouncing and double-triggering the opto? Anyone else have this happen?

#20144 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I think youā€™re referring to a flick pass - itā€™s just a super fast release/tap when the flipper is raised, just enough to get it over to the other flipper.
Karl is an incredible player, he makes that stuff look easy!

We would call it a tap pass. Such a difficult skill because it's different from pin to pin. You are so right about Karl, he is just incredible.

4 months later
#22158 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There is another update coming, but anyone's guess when that might be.

Curious if Keefer/JJP mentioned somewhere that GnR would get another update, or is this just wishful thinking?

2 months later
#22810 1 year ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I just put up an independant review of the Precision Pinball flippers and bushings replacements for my GnR LE, complete with install notes, impressions and pics. I'm cross linking it here because IMHO, this is a game changer for GNR and could be for JJP
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system/page/15#post-7119140
[quoted image]

I've been considering these for my GnR, thanks for the review. But what's up with the two smaller (unused) holes?

3 weeks later
#22937 1 year ago
Quoted from Galvez1978:

I have the same problem, you know were is these board? i can't find it.
Thanks!!!

Lift the pf and the board is on the lower left, the one with all the (blue) Ethernet jacks. Securing the micro-USB solved the problem for me.
Screenshot 2022-09-30 081729 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-09-30 081729 (resized).png

1 week later
#23090 1 year ago
Quoted from mtp78:

Would like to believe this beta code for GNR isn't going to take as long as POTC before it's released as a general code update to the public.

So that would be never lol!

Sorry, I'm just a bit cynical when it comes to POTC ever getting a code update.

1 week later
#23193 1 year ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I have no doubt that the crew will come through for us...they always have in the past.

Have they? As a POTC and GnR owner I would say not. But one can always hope.

1 month later
#23584 1 year ago

Decided to give these a try on my GnR (which has the worst flipper "feel" of all my pins). Thanks for the discount!

1 month later
#24076 1 year ago

Finally got my Precision Flippers installed! It didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped, but John provided excellent customer support and got me up and running. My son and I both agree that the Precision flippers are a vast improvement in both accuracy and strength.

Couple tips for anyone thinking about doing this on their GnR; the three bushings screws on JJP pins have small lock nuts on the back side of the flipper mech/plate. So you'll need to remove then entire mech (8 wood screws) to remove the bushings. Also, the oem upper pf flipper is 2" with a narrow tip. Precision has two mini flippers for sale but neither is an exact match; the 2" is fatter at the tip and the one with the same profile (narrow tip) is a 1/4" longer. I tried both and decided to go with the slightly longer version which looked better (imo) and maybe made the upper pf a bit easier.

The other thing I did to improve game play was adjust the orbit rail feeding into the upper right flipper. On my GnR, the rail sat about 3/16" to the left of the flipper, making the inner orbit shot very difficult. Adjusting the rail required elongating the hole for the screw on the rail mount so that it could shift closer to the flipper. This was not trivial as that rail cannot be removed without disassembling pretty much all the upper components and removing the upper pf. I ended up just removing the stuff on the right side (drum sticks and rails leading to inlane, plastics, etc), then removed enough of the orbit rail mounts to lift it about 4 inches. From there I used a small round file to enlarge the one hole in the lowest rail mount (made sure the pf was well protected while I worked). Should have taken before and after pics. Anyway, the fix makes the feed to the flipper very smooth now, and with the Precision flipper, the orbit shot works great!

20230115_121838 (resized).jpg20230115_121838 (resized).jpgd8738d87da65e8d74642bb5a119dfe1862b0e3d4 (resized).pngd8738d87da65e8d74642bb5a119dfe1862b0e3d4 (resized).png20230115_121544 (resized).jpg20230115_121544 (resized).jpg20230115_123909 (resized).jpg20230115_123909 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#24231 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

On other news, did you see Lior posted a video for his topper with order link in his thread? 350 pieces @ $2350 each.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-guns-n-roses-sculpted-mods-by-the-art-of-pinball/page/14#post-7393597

For that kind of money you would think the topper would be animated with movement in some way? I'm not saying it doesn't look cool, but that's a high price for molded/painted parts and LEDs. Also, given the static (if not falling) prices on GnR, I think he missed the boat on this one imo.

#24268 1 year ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

I'm thinking about grabbing those precision flipper halos too.

Do it! Prior to installing the Precision Flippers I would play a couple games, remember how annoying the flippers felt, and then move on to another pin. Now I'm actually enjoying GnR again!

#24271 1 year ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

I'm afraid if I put them on 1 game, I'll be buying 11 more sets

I know the feeling! I'm fine with the flippers on my GZ and older Williams, but JJP POTC and Spooky R&M def could use the Precisions.

1 month later
#24801 1 year ago

Hey all, I searched the thread but could not find an answer to an issue we're having; GnR won't allow a song to start? When a song is qualified (screen says Start The Song), the four inserts below the scoop light up as expected, but then a few seconds later they go out except for the "song" insert. Then, when you shoot the scoop, the ball just ejects out? It's like the song mode is canceled? This will continue to repeat. Only other thing odd is occasionally we're getting auto plunges at the start of a ball. And I've noticed each time the pin boots it says "calibrating sensors" in the lower left, but maybe that's normal and I just never noticed it before? I checked the switch test and nothing is stuck on. Any suggestions? Thanks!

#24810 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Calibrating message at boot is totally normal.
It sounds like maybe you have a flaky shooter lane switch. Does the green light at the song start scoop light up?

Yes, the song start scoop lights up green for a few seconds, then turns off.

#24892 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I donā€™t have the patience to look thru the ever disappearing topic post lol soā€¦My center scoop has just started to not kick balls out the way it use to Sometimes I have to wait for it go thru the troubleshooting routine and then it kicks out.Only happens sporadically at this point.
Do I need to adjust or clean something?

Go into switch test mode and check that the cherry switch in the scoop is triggering correctly - drop in a ball and make sure the switch goes green. In my case, the metal tab on the cliffy (that wraps under the pf) had bent slightly and was preventing the ball from sitting flush in the hole and triggering the scoop switch.

1 month later
#25448 11 months ago

Take a look at Spooky's Halloween and Ultraman; both have identical playfields and both were released with barely alpha code. Over the year or more of production, Spooky slowly released code updates but mostly for Halloween, and that pin has for the most part held it's value. Ultraman on the other hand has tanked and can now be had for 2-3k under MSRP. Part of that may have to do with theme (Halloween being more popular than Ultraman), but regardless, the lack of code killed Ultraman imo.

2 months later
#25784 9 months ago

Spent some time dialing in my flippers (Precision) and now I can hit either ramp from either flipper. That, along with the suggested setting changes to help balance the multi-balls and scoring, all makes the pin so much more fun to flip!

#25817 9 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

can you give us a list of all changes?

Switched to Precision flippers - huge improvement on flipper feel and accuracy. I set my flipper angle a degree or two high - this makes it easier for the left flipper to hit the left ramp and the right flipper to hit the right ramp. For settings changes, I just followed this guide; https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/427#post-6895594

#25821 9 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Did you go with the entire ppp set? Halo or solid?
If full set with clamps, how was the install?

I went with "solid" for all four flippers (slightly less expensive). But I think the Halo's look really cool and may try them next.

I'm not sure the upper pf flipper adds any benefit, but I wanted all four to match. Also keep in mind that Precision does not offer an exact replacement for the upper pf flipper - they offer two versions, one is the correct length but too thick (looks weird imo), and the other is the correct thickness but 1/4" too long. I went with the longer version.

For me the install was a bit of a pain, only because I could not get the main flippers (specifically the left) to hold it's position. I've been dealing with the JJP style flipper pawls for years and I'm not a fan, they are too easy to over-tighten and bend. Regardless, I went so far as to try brand new pawls with the Precision flippers and still could not get them to hold position. In the end I returned the flippers and re-ordered the keyed style which solved the problem. I would definitely recommend the keyed clamps!

I'll also add that if you go with the Precision bushings (which I would), that will add to the install time. JJP uses small lock nuts on the underside of the flipper mounting plates, requiring that you remove the entire flipper mech from the underside (four screws) to replace the bushings.

#25823 9 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Thanks, yeah I'm skipping the upper pf. Just on the fence about the precision keyed clamps, But I'm going to go with the whole thing and do all three with all the hardware from precision and black halos.
I just got to get the courage up, or the help, to install them cuz I'm a new pinball owner and haven't had to do any flipper work so it's intimidating. I suppose I can just lift up the playfield and start taking them apart after marking their position with some painters tape.
Eventually I know with enough time and research and posting on here I could figure it all out But how much time? Will I break something? How many times will I have to redo things until I figure it out and then at the end will I even ever get it right? Lol. So this is the root cause of why I continue to procrastinate....

Flippers are actually one of the easier pinball mechs to work on, so I'm sure you'll do fine. And one really nice feature of the Precision flippers is you can relatively easily adjust the angle from the top-side.

3 weeks later
#25997 8 months ago

Being away on vaca (and some other life events) have kept me from playing any pinball for three weeks - first game played in my collection was GnR - such a fun pin!

#26005 8 months ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni2:

Ha! How do you think the POTC owners feel?[quoted image]

This ^^^^^

3 weeks later
#26104 7 months ago
Quoted from altan:

I've been running the custom settings to reduce multi ball and so forth.
Thinking of going back to OG settings and trying out the aggressive multi ball modes NOW THAT I KNOW HOW TO PLAY and know how getting the 4 multi ball modes impacts the song score ...
Anyone gone back from the adjusted settings to the OG settings?

I'm still loving the adjusted settings and unless JJP releases a code update (not likely) I'm sticking with them (at least for now).

#26112 7 months ago
Quoted from altan:

Thatā€™s totally legit. Iā€™ve been running with adjusted settings for almost all my ownership time.
Havenā€™t got around to it ā€” even though I posted that a week ago ā€” but Iā€™m still planning to try original settings just to refresh memory. Should be easy with settings backup.

Thanks for reminding me about the settings backup - I need to do that!

#26162 7 months ago

I've been playing GF in our league for a few months now and it's a fun pin with interesting shots. But the code and scoring is a mess and I'm pretty confident JJP will never fix the this. GnR is my last NIB JJP pin, I'm done with them.

2 weeks later
#26363 6 months ago
Quoted from tdawgmd:

2.0 is a complete mess on my machine. Restarts, bad sounds, buggy as anything. Anyone else? Mine was downloaded and installed over WiFi. Probably going to download and install on usb, but if thatā€™s no good will be going back to 1.25 which was entirely stable.

Did you do both downloads? Going from 1.25 to 2.0 requires two downloads/updates. Although I'd be very surprised if only doing the first update caused stuff to break, but maybe?

#26392 6 months ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Wise man.
Getting album mode scores 3x (or more) larger than song jackpots is very rewarding and fun. Makes you want to push the risk/reward of album modes, whether it be pushing for more song time to boost album level, or going for the album patch set, or just play one song and give the album mode a go (I recommend the album patches though; at minimum an individual patch, but I always push for the entire set).
Then, increasing power chord lock timer + making individual song modes harder cuts down on the multiball mayhem.
Mind you, Less multiball = harder game. So with that, increase your applause jackpot timer from 15 secs to 30 secs.
GNR is one of my favorite games with these adjustments. Coming up on 3 years ownership surpassing games like JP, DP, AIQ, SWā€¦to name a few.
Enjoy!

Totally agree, with those settings changes (and Precision Flippers) I've been obsessed with playing GnR over all my other pins!

#26395 6 months ago
Quoted from sushko:

Want your Jersey Jack Pinball Slingshot to have more power? This mod will do exactly that!!! Here is a video showing it working on default slingshot power in the menu so you can go higher but I did adjust it to be set at default setting. Very easy install just desolder slingshot wires and put module in the circuit. Input is the wires from the game output to the coil. Kit comes with two black boxes to do two slingshot.

More horizontal ball movement is exactly the opposite of what I want!!!

2 months later
#26866 4 months ago

I feel like the flipper strength is just not good on my GnR. Even with the coil setting to max, cooling fans, and Precision flippers, I still find left ramp shots often don't make it all the way up or reject when the diverter is raised. Any suggestions? Maybe I just need to rebuild the flippers mechs?

#26872 4 months ago
Quoted from altan:

I run my GNR at default flipper settings and no extra hardware. Itā€™s no Stern but I donā€™t believe it was designed to feel that way.
Hereā€™s a (poor) video I did a year ago. How do my flippers appear relative to yours?

I would say your ramp shots look stronger than mine, and I'm running at max coil setting.

#26873 4 months ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Yeah I tried bumping up the flippers to 30, and they were way too strong - airballs aplenty. I think I am currently at 27 or 28 and have no problems making the ramps. Donā€™t remember what factory settings were, but bumping it up a little bit helped me. Still Not as snappy as sterns, but works fine for me.

I've never seen an air ball lol! I'm not expecting it to flip like a Stern, but unless I hit a very clean shot, there's a good chance the ball won't make it to the upper pf. And if the diverter is up it's even harder to make it around.

#26875 4 months ago
Quoted from PinballZach:

I wanted to get some fellow owners opinions. Im thinking of selling my GNR to get an Elton John. I like GNR but find its ruleset a little bit overwhelming. Where Elton John I feel like the rules and gameplay are still challenging but more understandable. Do you guys think switching out GNR would be a regret? Im torn but can only do one machine.

From a purely financial standpoint, you'll take a significant hit (loss) on your GnR now, and likely a hit on EJ later down the road.

#26877 4 months ago
Quoted from altan:

Well... there's a least a data point!
Since JJP uses the Bally/Williams approach, I'll share classic Bally/Williams troubleshooting:
1. Make sure your EOS (end of stroke) switches are not triggering too soon
2. Make sure the flippers are not low on the playfield
3. Rebuild and/or check coil stops and sleeves

Def need to check the EOS switches. And then most likely rebuild. Thanks!

#26889 4 months ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

Maybe this is worth asking, what pitch are you at?

I'll double-check but pretty sure I'm at a typical 6.8 (or close) pitch.

1 week later
#26949 4 months ago
Quoted from RhettDR:

Shoot a ball into the ball lock and boom... Plays the little drum "Rim-shot" sound - doesn't release the ball - and i have to wait for the ball finder to activate to get my ball back. Stays like this until the next game.

Have you tried calibrating the sensors? When my guitar lock stopped detecting balls, that was the solution.

1 month later
#27237 3 months ago

Same as others, I've added fans, precision flippers, max coil setting, adjusted eos switches, etc, and I'm still not happy with the flippers. But I just don't know if I'm willing the throw any more $$ at a pin that I've already added a ton of upgrades and yet it continues to devalue? I know I know, the current resale value should not have anything to do with a pin that I'm keeping (for now), but still $400 is a bit much. Need more definitive reviews before I give this a try.

2 weeks later
#27379 86 days ago

Crap, I think I'm going to have to get this. I just hate giving JJP more $. Crap.

2 weeks later
#27550 72 days ago

Can anyone recommend a servo tester to help "center" the servo before installation?

1 week later
#27620 63 days ago

Finally got around to replacing the servos and brackets on my spots (3 bad servos and both brackets busted). Crazy that JJP used such cheap crap and paper thin 3D printed parts.

Used this to center the servos before the install, very helpful!
Screenshot 2024-02-16 091713 (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-02-16 091713 (resized).png

#27647 59 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Easily backhand left flipper ramp shot to guitar neck.

It's still a super tight shot for me, flip too quickly and the ball snags the lower sling post, wait a hair longer and the ball hits the stand-up to the right of the ramp.

#27662 57 days ago

When we first got GnR, my son tried for weeks to get to the Not In This Lifetime final wizard mode. He eventually gave up. Last night I asked him to give it another try now that I had added Precision flippers and upgraded the capacitors. Took him only two games to succeed! The final wizard mode was crazy doing shit like reversing the flippers and even individually killing them! At one point only the upper right flipper was working, wtf?

1 month later
#28235 9 days ago
Quoted from replacement:

JJP in my opinion produced too many of these "limited" edition machines and i agree they don't have much of an upside for resale price.

Keep in mind that a JJP Limited Edition (LE) pin is not limited in production numbers. Only the Collectors Edition (CE) has a limited production run. But I agree with your point, 1000 CE's is not "limited" enough to keep value these days.

#28258 7 days ago
Quoted from ChuckRock:

Didn't they limit the LE to 5000?

Didn't recall that but I guess so. Were other LE's limited in production numbers?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

8,245 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Georgetown, KY
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Boston, MA
$ 11,000.00
ā‚¬ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 210.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

11,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dracut, MA
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arzoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread?tu=arzoo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.