IMG_1426 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_2636.gif
IMG_2002 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg
1C8AE00A-E658-441F-8C85-35F46CC105C1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3148 (resized).jpeg
20240407_215717 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Feature matrix listing differences for each edition. Posted by Dallas_Pin (3 years ago)

Post #414 GNR Manual - link to JJP site Posted by knobstone (3 years ago)

Post #434 Full Song List Posted by Concretehardt (3 years ago)

Post #755 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Guitar Neck Lock Release tip Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #1017 TECH: LIGHTING. Troubleshooting spot light motion issues Posted by wdbthree (3 years ago)

Post #3837 How to use jukebox mode Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #4098 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Flipper adjustment tips Posted by Eskaybee (3 years ago)

Post #5052 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Shooter rod power. Change barrel spring. Posted by WannaPinball (3 years ago)

Post #5235 Scorbit jjGnR integration FAQ Posted by jsa (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Greaseman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4641 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Should have seen the Avengers thread. I ordered Avengers just before Gunners and was pleased to have them both coming. I got so nervous about all the issues with avengers that i cancelled my order. Their QC was incredibly lax, people were getting machines with many issues. Some of them were design issues where the balls would be stuck constantly in the subway etc. Haven't kept up with that thread since, but the amount of issues out of the box here are miniscule compared.

I think it's a bit of a crap shoot with respect to QC, because in my limited time in this new hobby, it looks like whomever is on the line doing the work could actually affect the quality. Regarding AIQ, I have a Premium and like you was concerned about the subway issues but after following the forums realized that Stern fixed it so I purchased one and sure enough the mfg date was after the subway mech update and it has worked flawlessly. I did have 1 issue after just 10 plays with the spinner disc (disheartening), but Stern responded quickly (from a helpful contact from a Pinsider) and it was a 5 minute Loctite fix. Working perfectly and I probably have 700-800 games on it.

Now.....this is a JJP GnR thread.....so, like you I've been reading it closely to help me decide (thanks all of you owners - really appreciate the insight and thoughts on the game) and I'm slightly concerned reading about all these issues. When I test drove a LE recently, it did have some issues (balls getting stuck, odd ramp rejects sending the ball OFF the playfield and draining). My gut feel is major issues will get sorted out and minor issues can be dealt with DIY - realistically any order I place is 4-6 months out anyway so I'm more confident things will be OK.

GnR played well - lots of fun and and had that "one more game" feel - I'm leaning yes on it, but have some other considerations to deal with so can't quite pull the trigger yet.

Overall, although I'm a total noob, I'm coming to the conclusion to buy what you want to play because if you make a decision based solely on some type of QC reliability perception you may end up being more disappointed in the long run. I'm guessing there is a large standard deviation in pinball with respect to QC based on the assembly/manufacturing process. Also, those who have problems tend to report them more than those who don't - so there's that aspect.

In summary: Buy what you want to play. If I didn't have the other considerations to deal with at the moment, I'd order the GnR LE and not worry about any QC issues.

Just my 2 cents.

5 months later
#11847 2 years ago
Quoted from firebrand007:

As PETG washers are not easy to find in my area, I've ordered polycarbonate washers... I assume they should have the same protective qualities ? I'm planning on putting Mylar rings below as suggested by some.

I'm just now getting up to speed in this forum - just found out my GnR LE should be arriving in September! This is a response to a post 20 days ago.

In the world of thermoplastics, PETG and Polcarbonate (PC) would be considered to be relatively close in mechanical properties, but there are some differences. However, I do believe it's a safe assumption to use PC if you cannot get PETG. Keep in mind this is not an endorsement of either for a solution to the playfield issues, but just a note comparing the 2 different polymers.

PC has higher stiffness (Tensile/Flexural Modulus) and strength (Tensile/Flexural Strength) - roughly 30% all around, assuming you are comparing basic unfilled compounds. You'll want to make sure the PC is clear - there are a lot of different PC compounds. PC has significantly higher impact resistance than PETG. When comparing to other material types (i.e. steel washers) though these 2 polymers would be considered to be relatively close in properties.

Polymer fun facts:

PET (and versions of it) is a member of the Polyester family and commonly used in clothing (fiber) and water bottles. PC used to be used in water bottles but there was concern over BPA (Bisphenol A) being an endocrine disruptor and leaching into the water, so alternatives (such as PETG) started being utilized for water bottles. You may see folks refer to LEXAN - this is one of the tradenames for Polycarbonate (PC) and was coined by GE Plastics, one of the companies considered to have "invented" it. PET is one of the most commonly recycled polymers - please put those bottles in your recycle bin....there are folks out there who work hard to get these back into products!

Every wonder why you see more cracked rear tail light lenses than front? That's because PC is used for forward lighting lenses. Acrylic (cheaper and lower impact resistance than PC) is typically used for rear lenses.

Other plastics questions? Let me know. Unfortunately (for me), I know more about this topic than pretty much anything else and am filled with useless information. Sad, but true.

#11927 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Congrats!!
Great info on plastics, so after becoming smarter thanks to you, I have two questions...
When did you order?
From whom? (JJP direct or disty)

My actual order date was Feb. 1st. I had no idea a price increase was coming a few days later so lucked out. Had been on the fence, but after receiving my Zep LE just a few days before that, I realized rock pins are for me. (no Zep vs. GnR comments here please.....they can peacefully co-exist and I will prove it! ha ha)

Ordered from a Distributor. Had told me 5-6 months at the time so not that far off.

2 months later
#15585 2 years ago

My NIB GnR LE (#2657) showed up yesterday – sharing some initial impressions of the game. This is my first JJP purchase. My first extended session with it was at a friend’s place last weekend – let’s just say after that I was now more anxious than ever for mine to show up. You could imagine what a pleasant surprise it was getting the call on Monday that mine had arrived and was going to be delivered during the week.

Overall, this is an amazing pinball machine. I’m completely enamored.

What am I liking? Well, pretty much everything. But, more specifically:

Visuals: The cabinet and red powder coating are gorgeous. Playfield is packed with striking features that pull you into the GnR world. Large monitor is fantastic, as are all the visuals displayed on it. Top notch programming here.

Shots: Great layout with variety of shots. The orbit is butter. Upper playfield is cool and I love locking balls on the guitar headstock. I played a song recently where the right ramp return dropped the ball in front of the upper right flipper to hit the inner orbit, rather than return it to the right flipper – I had no idea that mechanism was in there. I could go on….you get the gist.

Music: Easy. I’m a heavy metal/rock guitar slinging guy (grew the hair long, played in bands, blah…blah….blah) so when this new pinball hobby I’m now apparently addicted to meets my music style, watch out. Sound quality is OK – I put a PinWoofer in my Zep LE and leaning that way here.

Effects/Callouts: Really, really like them including all the little guitar riffs. Just find myself immersed and really like the callouts telling me what shots to hit next. Also, if I suck, somebody should tell me - I respect that.

Rules: Wow, they are brilliant. I’m just scratching the surface, but they are relatively easy to understand and there is so much to think about while playing. Risk/Reward is amazing on the jackpots.

JJP touches: This blew me away. I have purchased 4 NIB Sterns within the past year (and really like them), so some of these touches were a very pleasant surprise……external vol/headphone jack standard on LE, power supply inside the cabinet in case it is needed, modern menu system – so easy to navigate and find stuff (including the manual in it is really thoughtful), WiFi for updates, ball blocking mechanism so you don’t have to take the balls out when you lift the playfield, pull away monitor attached magnetically, and the playfield being set to 6.5 degrees right out of the box (wow). I’m sure there are some I’m missing.

Quality: I have not had any issues (knock on wood). Had a ball get hung up a few times in the upper right playfield area next to a pop bumper and post, but I could nudge it back into play. Looks like I have the latest playfield protection items (black washers were below the posts). I didn’t scour the playfield looking for any defects – that’s just not me. And if some show up due to extended play, unless it’s egregious in nature, it won’t bother me. I started playing it immediately – don’t plan on adding anything for additional protection. I bought it to play it, not preserve it for a museum. I do understand though, why folks may get upset over certain issues - it’s no fun if something this expensive doesn’t meet your level of expectation – no doubt about that. I’m hoping all of you experiencing issues get things sorted out for the best.

Add-ons: My PinMonk coil cooling fans showed up on the same day! Thanks PinMonk! I don’t want to lose playing time installing them right now. Ha ha. I’ll get them on shortly though. I wasn’t even watching/looking for flipper fade because I was totally engrossed in the game. I’ll see how some upcoming extended sessions go though.

Favorite Moment Thus Far: When Civil War kicks in (about the 1:20 mark), lights going off, balls flying around trying to find their intended target. Unreal. If there ever was a pin to enjoy while drinking beer, I think this is it.

Finally, shout-out to KingPin Games. Christopher showed up with his Dad and they easily moved the machine into my basement, set it up, and walked me through all the features. During the course of this, he discovered the shaker wasn’t working. A quick look through the menu to find the fuse/connector associated with it and after tracing it around inside the cabinet, he reconnected a connector and it started working. Problem solved. I can’t tell you how cool it was to see a Father/Son working together in a family business and providing world class service – just really, really impressed with them, including making sure I knew I could contact them if I needed ANY help with the machine. Also, shout-out to Christopher’s brother Eric for designing such a top-notch machine.

Cheers - I hope you all are enjoying your GnR as much as I am.

#15598 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Great write up! How did you ever manage to take time out from playing to write all that That's what I want to know?
Big congrats!

It wasn’t easy…..but I was very motivated to share my excitement. Plus, I knew I’d get some minutes tonight (Friday evening) - I’m playing right now….and drinking beer.

This game is epic. To think I was actually on the fence at one time.

Best. Decision. Ever.

#15605 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

if I could get paid every time somebody posts that says that...

Aww man, Getaway! I love that pin!!
Nice collection!

Yeah, it’s been an interesting last 10-11 months in this hobby. My friend (whose GnR I played last weekend) was really frustrated with GnR and at times regretted buying it….so although I had played 8-10 games a while back and enjoyed it I was admittedly worried I ordered it. I also read about all the issues reported here (he had some issues with a few things). He finally, after 6 months, got it running smoothly and I simply could not extricate myself from it last weekend - I got hooked. He’s now happy with it and enjoying it….probably not as much as me.

This thing is just striking a chord (groan) with me. It’s entirely possible though that I am simply easily pleased - as I mentioned in my first impressions post, I’ve enjoyed all my NIB pins. This GnR though seems to just sit a notch above them based on first impressions.

Still playing right now….I kinda stink, I think I’m getting worse.

#15645 2 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I don’t understand: I have a good ball going in Double Talkin Jive, song playing for a few minutes, power chord going, 3 balls on the play field, Jackpot at 11 mil and rising fast, then flippers go dead all 3 balls drain. Is that supposed to happen? Never had a chance to cash in the jackpot.

I’m a noob on this pin (have had it 2 days) but I’m guessing that you reached the end of the song and needed to hit the Applause jackpot (center scoop). Default is 15 sec. If you don’t hit it within that time, the song mode officially ends, balls drain and you do not get the jackpot.

Happened to me last night - 16M jackpot. Brutal.

I checked and song length of that tune is 3:23. My best guess as to what happened.

1 week later
#16098 2 years ago

Wow….have had my GnR LE for just about 2 weeks now and continue to be impressed. Saw on here there was a code update….connected via WiFi, code downloaded and installed, worked flawlessly.

Would be cool to get an email notification when a new code update drops (I registered my game)….guessing this isn’t an option with JJP?

p.s. my other pins are lonely….but too bad. I’ll get around to them again at some point.

#16100 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Your game should tell you upon start up that an update is available

Ah, ok. I had not connected mine to WiFi yet so should be good moving forward. Thanks for the heads up!

#16446 2 years ago
Quoted from lemmings418:

Happened on my uncles Centigrade 37 when removing the glass for a rubber change.
Apparently the look on my face was priceless.
Being Canadian, you notice the glass in a hockey rink takes an absolute beating with 100 mph slap shots and having big hulking players crash into it all the time.
But there are instances where an ever so slight touch shatters the glass.
It's about the right pressure at the right angle at that one weak spot in the lattice.

Warning...plastics nerd coming out to play. Hockey glass is not actually glass - I'm pretty sure it's a plastic sheet called Plexiglas (aka acrylic). A totally different type of material vs. actual glass. However, that being said, all plastics suffer to some extent from stress concentrations (varies by type of polymer) - a small crack can propagate into a full blown failure, so that is what you are more than likely seeing when hockey glass shatters.

Now that being said....wtf is up with that pinball glass just shattering? Now I'll be nervous when I pull mine.

I have to end on a positive.....put my Pinwoofer GT in on Friday. Yowser - if you like your pinball music loud and awesome sounding, you need this. Love it - such a good match with GnR.

#16447 2 years ago

A previous poster mentioned an issue with an unexplainable drain and I proposed the theory it was actually an Applause Jackpot that was missed. Well, last night about 30 seconds into an encore (I believe it was November Rain) I had 2 balls in play and everything just went dead and both balls drained. I was not booed (no way - I was hitting the shots and there was nothing, no sound, no call out....just went quiet) and it was certainly not an Applause Jackpot missed.

No explanation I can think of.....Thoughts?

2 months later
#19379 2 years ago

Had a great game going last night. Was on my last ball....flipped it toward left ramp.....pops up in the air and drains down left outlane. I stood there with this blank look on my face like this didn't just happen did it? It has happened so infrequently that I don't worry about it and didn't add it to my order when I bought the Pinmonk cooling fan kit - regrettable decision.

Pinmonk Airball Drain Barrier ordered this morning

1 year later
#24722 1 year ago

Hey all, wanted to share a positive experience with JJP. Received my GnR LE in October 2021 and had zero issues with it up until early January, 2023. At that time (and unfortunately in the middle of a pinball get together with my buddies), the center scoop stopped registering a ball so the game was unplayable. We tried to fix it on the spot, but had no luck. My buddy suspected a bad switch.

I had never sent a support request to JJP so sent one in and Brian Wieczorek responded almost immediately. I was pleasantly surprised. Brian was very patient as we went back/forth via email trying to diagnose the issue. After I completed all the recommended tests, we did determine it was a bad switch. Brian asked to confirm my address they had for me.....and then mailed out a new switch. It arrived in a few days. I replaced it (yes...all by myself! ha ha) and I was 100% back in business. I couldn't have asked for better support.

Also....my game still looks amazing. No pooling issues of any kind that I can detect, although I'm not one that scrutinizes playfields looking for bad spots. I continue to enjoy GnR. Just really dig it.

And...because my addiction is real, I ordered a Godfather CE.

7 months later
#26609 5 months ago

For future reference, is it possible to update the code AND keep all the song high scores?

Just did the code update. My game high scores and mode high scores are still there, but all the song high scores reset to zero. I was given a heads up this would be the case and didn’t think it was a big deal….until I stared at all the song scores at zero and was a bit bummed. Ha ha.

I did back up my settings via USB but didn’t need to reload them as it looks like all my settings were maintained. I doubt the song high scores are in the setting backup data - if this is incorrect please advise.

Note: code update was a snap via WiFi. No issues.

#26630 5 months ago

Thanks Vespula and LTG for quick responses. I did the Settings Restore from the USB stick - it confirmed I had the file and that the settings were successfully restored. Unfortunately it did not have the Song high scores. I was most worried about game high scores getting messed up restoring the settings, but those are still there so no issues attempting the Restore. It appears there is no way to save the song high scores - this is only an issue for bragging rights when friends come over. ha.

To make it especially painful.....I thought I should play a game because i turned on the machine. Right? Just absolutely killing Sweet Child O' Mine - I stopped looking at the jackpot because that just causes more stress. Getting close to Applause Jackpot. 2 balls left....both drained within seconds of each other. Song Over. Shoot me please.

FYI....I looked this up in the manual:

The Settings Backup & Settings Restore utilities allow you to quickly and easily backup & restore
your game’s settings, audits, reports, replay information and custom message. Your settings will be
stored on a USB memory stick.

#26645 5 months ago
Quoted from loanguy7171973:

Hi Guys - getting a NIB LE delivered in the next couple of days. Can’t wait. Any recommendations before playing it? It’s in the 4000’s so it’s a later run. Fully Cliffy’s recommended? Anything else?

Agree with Vespula, just play it. I’ve had mine almost exactly 2 years and I can’t see any playfield issues. Others take a different approach so obviously whatever you are most comfortable with.

One thing to monitor….airball drains down the left outlane. Frustrating. I ended up getting the Pinmonk airball drain barrier - if you are having this issue it’s highly recommended. No more cheap airball drains.

I added PinWoofer and Pinmonk coil fans. When I was doing extended playing I noticed the left flipper backhand up left ramp was getting tougher. Just a couple of game play enhancements to consider.

Congrats on game. It’s a gem.

#26646 5 months ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Same thing happened to me - no idea how to get the song scores back

Yep…head scratcher. Why are these scrubbed but everything else saved and there doesn’t appear to be a way to keep them.

I did enjoy setting my own new high song scores….so I guess I get some extra enjoyment now?

#26653 5 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Did you guys that got your score wiped go from beta 35 to production 2.0 or go from prod 1.25 to 2.0?

The reason I asked is that I went from beta 35 to production 1.25 for some other reasons a while back and the same thing happened to me.
I told JJP about it and the response was they don't guarantee it'll work going from beta to production.
I went back to beta 35 and restored the settings I'd saved previously from beta 35 and of course it worked.
Because production 2.0 is the same as beta 35 There's no reason for me to go to 2.0 and just staying on beta 35.

That's why I'm curious which way you went on your updates to lose your song scores.

I went from production 1.25 to production 2.0

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Long Beach, NY
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

8,249 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 11,000.00
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 210.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Greaseman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread?tu=Greaseman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.