IMG_20240413_155854 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155858 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155856 (resized).jpg
IMG_1426 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_2636.gif
IMG_2002 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Feature matrix listing differences for each edition. Posted by Dallas_Pin (3 years ago)

Post #414 GNR Manual - link to JJP site Posted by knobstone (3 years ago)

Post #434 Full Song List Posted by Concretehardt (3 years ago)

Post #755 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Guitar Neck Lock Release tip Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #1017 TECH: LIGHTING. Troubleshooting spot light motion issues Posted by wdbthree (3 years ago)

Post #3837 How to use jukebox mode Posted by kermit24 (3 years ago)

Post #4098 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Flipper adjustment tips Posted by Eskaybee (3 years ago)

Post #5052 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Shooter rod power. Change barrel spring. Posted by WannaPinball (3 years ago)

Post #5235 Scorbit jjGnR integration FAQ Posted by jsa (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Av8.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7720 3 years ago

Where can I buy a GNR Standard? I'm in FL. Used or new.

#7811 3 years ago

Can I get some opinions on GNR SE? Does it have flow? The videos I watch rarely have combos. I like combos.

Second, What must have Mods are there?

Should I just waiting 4 months for LE?

1 week later
#7897 3 years ago

Hey pinheads. I got a GNR SE 3 days ago. My first jjp. 19th pin that have owned. Rock and pinball make the perfect combination and this is hands down the best pin I have owned. ACDC is close second.

The game build quality is very impressive. It's fast addictive and challenging. Perfect for home use. Light show, even on the SE, is incredible. 21 different songs each with their own multiball. Rules are deep but the album modes seem incomplete. Video graphics are awesome. 9 out of 10.

I adjusted the outlanes because they were brutal. Turned on attract mode in settings to play video and sound. Increase ball saver to 10 seconds from 6.

Dirty robot needed a timer. It was set to infinite. This mode should incorporate the mode button more. Like hit a shot then hit mode button.

Updated to 1.20 with USD stick.

Patches took me a while to figure out.

20210406_152941 (resized).jpg20210406_152941 (resized).jpg
#7942 3 years ago

Made a video tonight. My son got the patch and unlocked "Patience" then played COMA and Slashes solo on our GNR SE. His personal best.

This is an adrenaline fueled machine.

#7943 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Cliff notes version:
Get multiball, donā€™t drain.
Not so much cliff notes version (i.e. the Long version):
The biggest thing is learning the objectives in the song modes and understanding how the inserts move. While each song is different from the next, the overall construct of rules are the same. The light show is HUGE so it can be a bit overwhelming at first.
I suggest starting with songs from use your illusion 2. They are the easiest to pick up and understand. ā€˜You could be mineā€™ and ā€˜civil warā€™ are really easy to pick up and run with but they are also the hardest to score in. I enjoy playing civil war because itā€™s all about the upper loop shot (+ 1 other shot is always lit to help).
Next learn band frenzy shots and how the inserts work on the revolver for them. If a band member insert on the revolver is flashing color, shoot that members shot to collect. Collected band members will be solid white on the insert revolver. Collect them all for band frenzy and the revolver will be going nuts with rainbow colors. Again, ā€˜you could be mineā€™ and ā€˜civil warā€™ are the best songs to learn this because the overall light show is easier to understand.
Once you got those concepts down, move onto other songs and start learning song mode objectives insert shots. It becomes easier and easier once you learn something less overwhelming like ā€˜you could be mineā€™ or ā€˜civil warā€™ as mentioned above.
All in all you have 4 objectives during a song:
1. Make song objective shots, light scoop green, shoot scoop and level up the song mode.
2. Collect band members and get band frenzy going.
3. Lock balls for power chord. Lock them all and get a power chord jackpot + add a ball.
4. Keep your crowd meter alive *cough* chuck *cough*. When a song is near the end you really want your crowd meter maxed so you can get an encore. Crowd meter increases by making any shots, lit shots boost it higher.
Next step, doing well:
The more balls and members you collect prior to starting a song, the more balls you start with and the longer your ball saver. So lock those balls!
Patches:
ā€¢ Always always always get the fender patch, it helps collect members for band frenzy.
ā€¢ Patches for scoring well: fender + band members
ā€¢ Patches Wizard mode progression: sponsor patches, sunglasses (for tour multiball), album patches (mainly use your illusion 2 patch for its album mode - hardest album mode to complete).
Scoring vs. wizard mode:
ā€¢ If youā€™re going for score and just want to have an absolute Adrenalin rushed risk/reward game, then never cash out of a song and go for encore/band frenzy.
ā€¢ if youā€™re going for wizard mode progression, itā€™s all about those extra balls. when you have the option to cash out of a song, look at the mini LCD, itā€™ll tell you if you qualified the album mode. If so, cash out (this will light the extra ball). If itā€™s not complete, then keep playing the song.
Quick tip 1:
Use that power chord guitar lock to store balls and keep the playfield less cluttered to progress song objectives.
Quick tip 2:
If youā€™re down to one ball in a song mode near the end of the song, you can ā€˜cheatā€™ the applause jackpot by shooting scoop when itā€™s lit green and wait the full 10 seconds. If applause lights during the 10 seconds, itā€™ll give it to you.
Lastly: have a beer and rock on! Absolute Adrenalin risk/reward fun game.

My son figured out that starting multiballs before starting your first song is the key to a good score. He goes for Throw the lights or Pyro mb then easily gets the band together and a patch, locking more balls along the way. I was focused on the band members and song initially. Now I switched to his strategy. MB then songs.

The Album modes ie "Dirty Robot" seems incomplete and the scoring unworthy of the accomplishment. Also got Tour MB tonight for first time. Again kept asking where is the shot/objective? Got almost nothing for it. Look forward to more updates to this great pin. Maybe a video mode?

#7944 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Good catch .Any thoughts on the pitch for this pin I had all the adjustments screwed all the way in last night like it said in direction sheet .seemed a little slow but regardless fun .floor is level just wondering what people were doing for pitch .

Pitch is critical in this game. The steeper i make it, the more ball control i have. Harder, fast pins play better steep imo. Definitely experiment with it. I also lean slightly left.

#8235 3 years ago

Someone was surprised I had these. My Feb 2021 gnr se came from the factory with scoop protection and black washers under sling posts. If you didn't get them you might be able to get them under warranty.

20210417_213110 (resized).jpg20210417_213110 (resized).jpg20210417_213129 (resized).jpg20210417_213129 (resized).jpg
#8294 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

My opinion on this game is way different but i prefer modes and actual feel of moving through a story as I play the modes. Its not deep at all when it comes to progressing to Wizard modes. Most new Sterns are coded better and every JJP is coded better so far when it comes to feeling like your progressing in a game. Play a song from each album for what 3 minutes then start the album modes. I almost beat the game on the 1st or 2nd day playing it like a mode based game not knowing it was a game setup for jackpots. Every song does have different lights but really they all felt the same besides the light show. Slash solo and the two UYI album modes are worthless so far but im sure that will be fixed. When i compare it to Wonka code Wonka(much better layout and smooth with satisfying shots) is a adventure with way better code thats actually alot of fun for me where GnR feels like another MET but with even less things to achieve but way more songs. The songs light shows is the best thing this game has going on for it and the assets are decent but not as good as BM66. Easily the worst JJP to date if your looking for a mode based adventure but the best JJP if you like to just go for high scores. I loved killing Smaug and melting the Witch, where is that level of fun on this game? This is just my opinion coming from a person that loves a adventure under glass, I never look at my score while playing any game until the games over so being a jackpot oriented game just killed any staying power and fun for me on this one.

Yeah this pin isn't for you then. Stick with Wizard of Oz or Hobbit. This is a players pin for people that like fast, brutal and a adrenaline rush. Much like a concert.

The Album Modes need scoring improvements/work and more depth.

#8499 2 years ago

What has jjp done to address the pooling playfields? Is there a fix?

#8651 2 years ago
Quoted from lpgnr:

Anyone having issues with the decals on the side of the machine coming off or wrinkling? The decal on my right side is starting to wrinkle near the flipper button, which sucks
[quoted image]

Nope. Maybe try a hairdryer and credit card.

Im have some playfield wrinkling infront of the left inlane post and axel lane posts. JJP sent me some plastic donuts.

1 week later
#8949 2 years ago

Do all GNRs get pooling and wrinkling at the left in lane post? Only 3 weeks old and I'm having to repair mine to stop further damage.

Why is it doing this? Is the post not tight enough causing vibration? There is no rubber on the post so that doesn't help.

I'm going to use a heat gun to flatten it out. Then mylar it. Then a plastic washer. Then metal washer.

2 weeks later
#9672 2 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Yes, every single one of them. Some multiple times. Some straight out of the box. Some before they're even built.

Someone needs to post pictures of this playfield repair. Before and after. They all do it. Left in lane post.

I'm going to mylar and modify a black plastic washer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Islamorada, FL
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silverthorne, CO
$ 11,000.00
ā‚¬ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 210.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Av8.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread?tu=Av8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.