Screenshot 2024-02-16 091713 (resized).png
flirty-brennen.gif
IMG_2003.gif
IMG_1937 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1938 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2047 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 27,675 posts in this topic. You are on page 538 of 554.
#26851 3 months ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

This is a must buy IMHO for GnR L, R and UR flippers. I also recently switched to Superbands with the Halo precisions as they are the best solution I have found so far (speaking only of them on GnR). No ball hop at all anymore out of the guides to the flippers, still can do post passes, deadflip, drop and live catches and backhand the left ramp and shoot under the flipper from the left flipper...all important shots.
Keyed clamp is also a must buy with the crap soft metal JJP uses on the factory clamps
I don't use superbands for any other pin as they were too sticky or what have you (Titans mainly) but again they seem perfect with the Precisions (I have not tried them on the solids, only the Halos)
Also to note, I always had to have the left flipper slightly raised to make the backhand...not anymore...both are even and can shoot orbits and backhands for days
The game has become so much more fun. I've been hitting 40 million plus jackpots since the change on default game settings
Also, I haven't done anything to the upper playfield flipper, it's still factory plastic and a Titan rubber.
To avoid OCD issues, I made the upper playfield flipper it's own thing and part of the pile of skulls
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks. For the keyed clamps, is the Right EOS for the right flipper?

#26852 3 months ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Agree, I feel there is something quite not right with the flippers n this pin but not sure going down this route is the cure to fix them.

It most definitely is. I started with the original Precision JJP's...I had ball hop and then switched back to plastics with the metal bushings. John replaced those for me with Halo's and I kept the metal bushings and also upgraded to the keyed clamps. I put my Titan's on but it wasn't until I combined the Halo's with Superbands (something I never use) and it was like night and day. I can attest after literally days of testing, calibrating and frustration that the perfect solution (YMMV) is the Halo's with Superbands and metal bushings. Keyed clamps are optional but most definitely a nice upgrade. Super easy to install and you can use traditional flipper alignment to the guiderail with a straightedge and factory settings on the coils. I bumped my pops to 38 and set the lower one 2 settings lower to introduce chaos and eliminate ball traps and unending pop rally's and also turned the slings up to max while lowering the playfield to standard recommended versus what I normally set at 6.8.

#26853 3 months ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Thanks. For the keyed clamps, is the Right EOS for the right flipper?

Yes, also, If ordering new, get the one for the new flipper kit. If getting a retrofit from a previously installed precision kit without the keyed clamps, get the retrofit version

per instructions on John's Precision site:

You can easily determine how many Left or Right side Clamps you need by comparing your main flipper mech's (left and right) to the other flipper mech's located in the playfield. Please do not request that I determine (for you) whether you need a left or right side for your specific game.
When ordering you have the option to order as a Retrofit with the intent to install the Clamps and Shafts as an update to a previously installed Precision Flipper kit. Or you can order with the intent to install along with a New Flipper Kit.

One Final Note: If ordering these Clamps/Shafts for a New Flipper Kit you will not receive the Shafts that would have normally been provided with your kit (s) because they are no longer needed. The pricing for the Clamp and Shaft has been adjusted downward to compensate for this.

#26854 88 days ago

Someone here mentioned how GnR could be a #1 pin with an update.I thought it was a bold statement but I think he was right.
I just played an epic November Rain
and I think my heart rate was very accelerated lol.Damn Keefer get it done and watch demand and price get jacked!!!!

#26855 88 days ago

Hi guys,

Just hoping for some assistance....

I just sold my GnR and it was shipped quite a distance to the new owner. All was perfect when the game left me but upon starting it up, the new owner has some errors. I am trying to assist him to get the game going but unsure where to tell him to check for these cables/connections. Where can I tell the new owner to check for these? (Image attached of the errors)

Thanks for any assistance.

image000000 3 (resized).jpgimage000000 3 (resized).jpg
#26856 87 days ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

Don’t worry guys you know JJP is working on a speedy fix for this problem. It’ll be in there next regularly scheduled update…

Yes, 2026 is right around the corner for the next GNR code update.

#26857 87 days ago
Quoted from Drac:

Hi guys,
Just hoping for some assistance....
I just sold my GnR and it was shipped quite a distance to the new owner. All was perfect when the game left me but upon starting it up, the new owner has some errors. I am trying to assist him to get the game going but unsure where to tell him to check for these cables/connections. Where can I tell the new owner to check for these? (Image attached of the errors)
Thanks for any assistance.
[quoted image]

It’s gonna be the Ethernet connections under the PF. Not sure which ones but you might have them lift up the PF and check if any came loose and reseat them

#26858 87 days ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni2:

It’s gonna be the Ethernet connections under the PF. Not sure which ones but you might have them lift up the PF and check if any came loose and reseat them

Drac I would second what Chaka said. I would just recommend unplugging and plugging all those back plus the mini USB ones that go to the board in the playfield as well as the connections to the motherboard in the back box.

#26859 87 days ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni2:

Quoted from Mar3nBu:

Drac I would second what Chaka said. I would just recommend unplugging and plugging all those back plus the mini USB ones that go to the board in the playfield as well as the connections to the motherboard in the back box.

Adding to these suggestions. My GnR was an early production build. JJP went absolutely insane with the zip ties under the playfield putting undue stress on many of the ethernet plugs. I cut several ties loose and got rid of them altogether.

#26860 87 days ago

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Sending this information on so hopefully he has some success!

#26861 86 days ago

I'm helping out a local op with fixing a few issues on a GNR LE. I'm not very familiar with JJP games as far as troubleshooting.

Any tips on where to start with this list of switch errors? I have already reseated all the RJ45 connectors.

Thanks for your time!

Pic isn't great so here's the list -

- Switch #20 Keyboard Insert Middle (Stuck Open)
- Switch #48 Inner Loop Made (Stuck Open)
- Switch #97 Shooter Lane 1 (Stuck Open)
- Switch #98 Shooter Lane 2 (Stuck Open)
- Switch #102 Shooter Lane 6 Top (Stuck Open)

20231128_133746 (resized).jpg20231128_133746 (resized).jpg
#26862 86 days ago
Quoted from PocketHoleshot:

Any tips on where to start with this list of switch errors?

Tests - Switches - Matrixed - run a ball over or through the switches marked open, which means they haven't been triggered lately.

Then check if any need adjusting first, then broken wires.

LTG : )

#26863 86 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Tests - Switches - Matrixed - run a ball over or through the switches marked open, which means they haven't been triggered lately.
Then check if any need adjusting first, then broken wires.
LTG : )

Thanks @LTG

I didn't see any obvious adjustment for those "LED rollovers", so I took the boards off and cleaned the LEDs and corresponding inserts.

So far that seems to have cleared it up. The loop exit switch was a simple arm adjustment on a microswitch.

I appreciate the help!

#26864 86 days ago

Hi all, I’m looking for some advice/recommendations.

I have had ongoing intermittent issues with my guitar sensors disconnecting, (since I got the machine in 2021) ie turning red when viewed in the sensor test screen. I have tried different ethernet cables and switched the sensor board (now switched back to original) and various other things but the game always seems to have issues with the guitar sensors.

Currently the game plays fine when turned on and I may get 1, 2 or 5 games in but eventually it loses connection and makes the game unplayable. If I turn the machine off and on again it’s back to normal and the cycle repeats.

The fact that a simple restart of the machine is resetting the issue seems to me like its not a connection issue but at this stage I don't know what to do anymore.

Its really getting me down as I love the machine but anytime a get a good game going it loses connection and the game is ruined.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

#26865 85 days ago
Quoted from Shmilder:

Hi all, I’m looking for some advice/recommendations.
I have had ongoing intermittent issues with my guitar sensors disconnecting, (since I got the machine in 2021) ie turning red when viewed in the sensor test screen. I have tried different ethernet cables and switched the sensor board (now switched back to original) and various other things but the game always seems to have issues with the guitar sensors.
Currently the game plays fine when turned on and I may get 1, 2 or 5 games in but eventually it loses connection and makes the game unplayable. If I turn the machine off and on again it’s back to normal and the cycle repeats.
The fact that a simple restart of the machine is resetting the issue seems to me like its not a connection issue but at this stage I don't know what to do anymore.
Its really getting me down as I love the machine but anytime a get a good game going it loses connection and the game is ruined.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Okay I just had this problem with my shooter lane and it was driving me nuts, what I did was switch the usb's on the motherboard on the right side in the backbox. Literally just swapped them with each other. (you can unplug one at a time to find the one that contains your sensor data) Then did a sensor calibration in the testing menu after swapping. I'm not sure if it was the slots themselves, the usb assignments the system gave them or what, but it cleared the problem up permanently for me for the past 3 months, no issues and lots of play testing. Hopefully this does the trick for you on the guitar. You could also try running a splitter for both cables into 1 port at a time to try and isolate a bad port if that is the issue. I'm not sure how the software would respond to this but it may be a workaround.

#26866 85 days ago

I feel like the flipper strength is just not good on my GnR. Even with the coil setting to max, cooling fans, and Precision flippers, I still find left ramp shots often don't make it all the way up or reject when the diverter is raised. Any suggestions? Maybe I just need to rebuild the flippers mechs?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26867 85 days ago

Question, anyone have a quick/easy known fix for a loose/rattley backglass? My brothers GnR has a shaker in his LE and it absolutely vibrates the backglass. He doesn't seem to care but the principle of it bothers me and I want to fix it. I was just going to jimmy-rig something to cram in between but the upper section of the backglass is what is loose.

Any ideas?

#26868 85 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I feel like the flipper strength is just not good on my GnR. Even with the coil setting to max, cooling fans, and Precision flippers, I still find left ramp shots often don't make it all the way up or reject when the diverter is raised. Any suggestions? Maybe I just need to rebuild the flippers mechs?

I run my GNR at default flipper settings and no extra hardware. It’s no Stern but I don’t believe it was designed to feel that way.

Here’s a (poor) video I did a year ago. How do my flippers appear relative to yours?

#26869 85 days ago
Quoted from superNoid:

Question, anyone have a quick/easy known fix for a loose/rattley backglass? My brothers GnR has a shaker in his LE and it absolutely vibrates the backglass. He doesn't seem to care but the principle of it bothers me and I want to fix it. I was just going to jimmy-rig something to cram in between but the upper section of the backglass is what is loose.
Any ideas?

I don't have any pics in my phone, but I take some small squares of fuzzy velcro and stick it on all 4 corners of the backglass. Kind of wrap it from the back around to the front. Squares should be small enough to not be noticeable when the glass is in place. This essentially causes the glass to be "wedged" in place when in the head. Works like a champ.

#26870 85 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I have stock flippers bumped up 2 notches in strength settings along with cooling fans. My setup absolutely rips all clean ramp shots. Sounds like you have something wrong with yours.

#26871 85 days ago

Yeah I tried bumping up the flippers to 30, and they were way too strong - airballs aplenty. I think I am currently at 27 or 28 and have no problems making the ramps. Don’t remember what factory settings were, but bumping it up a little bit helped me. Still Not as snappy as sterns, but works fine for me.

#26872 85 days ago
Quoted from altan:

I run my GNR at default flipper settings and no extra hardware. It’s no Stern but I don’t believe it was designed to feel that way.
Here’s a (poor) video I did a year ago. How do my flippers appear relative to yours?

I would say your ramp shots look stronger than mine, and I'm running at max coil setting.

#26873 85 days ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Yeah I tried bumping up the flippers to 30, and they were way too strong - airballs aplenty. I think I am currently at 27 or 28 and have no problems making the ramps. Don’t remember what factory settings were, but bumping it up a little bit helped me. Still Not as snappy as sterns, but works fine for me.

I've never seen an air ball lol! I'm not expecting it to flip like a Stern, but unless I hit a very clean shot, there's a good chance the ball won't make it to the upper pf. And if the diverter is up it's even harder to make it around.

#26874 85 days ago

I wanted to get some fellow owners opinions. Im thinking of selling my GNR to get an Elton John. I like GNR but find its ruleset a little bit overwhelming. Where Elton John I feel like the rules and gameplay are still challenging but more understandable. Do you guys think switching out GNR would be a regret? Im torn but can only do one machine.

#26875 85 days ago
Quoted from PinballZach:

I wanted to get some fellow owners opinions. Im thinking of selling my GNR to get an Elton John. I like GNR but find its ruleset a little bit overwhelming. Where Elton John I feel like the rules and gameplay are still challenging but more understandable. Do you guys think switching out GNR would be a regret? Im torn but can only do one machine.

From a purely financial standpoint, you'll take a significant hit (loss) on your GnR now, and likely a hit on EJ later down the road.

#26876 85 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I would say your ramp shots look stronger than mine, and I'm running at max coil setting.

Well... it's a data point at least!

Since JJP uses the Bally/Williams approach, I'll share classic Bally/Williams troubleshooting:

1. Make sure your EOS (end of stroke) switches are not triggering too soon
2. Make sure the flippers are not low on the playfield
3. Rebuild and/or check coil stops and sleeves

But unless your GNR has been routed, I'd be surprised if the flippers need to be rebuilt. But it could have come from the factory mounted non-optimally.

#26877 85 days ago
Quoted from altan:

Well... there's a least a data point!
Since JJP uses the Bally/Williams approach, I'll share classic Bally/Williams troubleshooting:
1. Make sure your EOS (end of stroke) switches are not triggering too soon
2. Make sure the flippers are not low on the playfield
3. Rebuild and/or check coil stops and sleeves

Def need to check the EOS switches. And then most likely rebuild. Thanks!

#26878 85 days ago
Quoted from PinballZach:

I agree 100% with what Arzoo said. You're going to take an absolute beating selling GnR right now. Market is soft, there's plenty of Gnr available used and new, JJP has made it pretty clear they don't care about code, new Stern/Elwin title coming soon, Christmas coming up. Etc...... It's a perfect storm of circumstances that will make selling GnR tough. I'd hang onto it. Maybe work a trade for an EJ later on down the road if want to.

#26879 85 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

You have a problem with your flippers if that's the case. I had to turn my down from stock settings after putting in precision flippers. They were super strong.

#26880 85 days ago
Quoted from superNoid:

Any ideas?

I use the soft black/gray weather stripping foam from home depot. couple strips in the corners hold it tight, can't see them at all

#26881 85 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I rebuilt mine with precision halo's complete package including the keyed shafts. Fans on everything. New stops, sleeves, etc.. Set playfield to manual recommend, normally i prefer way steeper but went default here...used superbands instead of titans which i normally don't for the weird play, but on GnR with the precisions, just feels right and no flipper hopping. Can easily make all the shots. Clean, wax, done. GnR is a tough game to dial in and it's taken a long while of trial and error but what I have setup now is probably the nicest GnR I have every played (not bragging just saying) with the above setup. It shoots very snappy and almost like a hybrid between Dialed In/Wonka and a Stern, which it is definitely not out of the box

#26882 85 days ago
Quoted from PinballZach:

I think you wait it out and see how EJ pans out on gameplay and price - both which will probably drop. Personally I’d never consider another JJP considering they’ve completely neglected their customers. I see endless updates for Stern and i don’t even own one. The last communication I got from JJP was a year ago telling me to buy a t-shirt. I have a feeling EJ isn’t selling well which means code updates and price will be reduced to nothing after they announce the next pin. That’s my 2 cents worth 1/2 a peso

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26883 85 days ago

I love my JJPs and am optimistic that the code updates will come with patience. Hypothetically, if JJP ends up going out of business, what impact would that have on JJP pin desirability and prices? I’m just looking back at when Bally/Williams went defunct and the long term value and collectibility of their games (e.g., Addams, IJ, TZ, MM, AFM, etc.). Not wishing this would happen, but curious how something like that would impact JJP game values. Would they completely tank or shoot up? Same for CGC, Spooky, PinBros and other pin manufacturers.

I bought Pirates LE in 2018 because I played it at PAGG and my wife and I loved the theme, sounds, toys, rocking pirate ship and flickering lanterns. I never expected the game to double in value, so that’s an anomaly, but supply and demand usually dictates prices. Games that are more scarce often command higher prices, but they made 20K Addams Family, so why are prices so high on that old game? Addams was my first pin, bought in 2007 for $2400, it got repetitive and was sold within a few years. I should have held onto it had I known it would 5x in value! Same for the Creature I sold my old boss for $3700 LOL. I often wonder what these pins will be worth in 10 or 20 years for those collectors that diamond hand them

#26884 85 days ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Okay I just had this problem with my shooter lane and it was driving me nuts, what I did was switch the usb's on the motherboard on the right side in the backbox. Literally just swapped them with each other. (you can unplug one at a time to find the one that contains your sensor data) Then did a sensor calibration in the testing menu after swapping. I'm not sure if it was the slots themselves, the usb assignments the system gave them or what, but it cleared the problem up permanently for me for the past 3 months, no issues and lots of play testing. Hopefully this does the trick for you on the guitar. You could also try running a splitter for both cables into 1 port at a time to try and isolate a bad port if that is the issue. I'm not sure how the software would respond to this but it may be a workaround.

fooflighter thanks for the info, at this point i'll give anything a crack. The guitar sensor board goes through the i/o board under the playfield and then onto the motherboard via usb. I might switch out both usb cables and also try different usb ports Fingers crossed.

#26885 85 days ago

I don't know anything. Just the messenger. If no problems are found b36 will release as 2.01
Start discussing Now.

Guns N Roses Beta 36 now available
* fixes some song mode lamp effects that got broken in previous version

#26886 85 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Maybe this is worth asking, what pitch are you at?

#26887 85 days ago

My upgrade to Beta 36 failed. I downloaded B36 (from B35) via the utility screen, and it started to update my GnR. Process froze and gave the following screen. I'm in the process of downloading a clean build of 2.0 to a USB stick now as a solution.

edit: clean USB install of 2.0 worked. Lost my settings/high scores. Lesson: keep them backed up if you care prior to updates.
IMG_0518 (resized).JPGIMG_0518 (resized).JPG

#26888 85 days ago

Sorry to hear. Glad you got it running again.

I just successfully upgraded from b35 to b36. It was very quick.

#26889 84 days ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

Maybe this is worth asking, what pitch are you at?

I'll double-check but pretty sure I'm at a typical 6.8 (or close) pitch.

#26890 84 days ago
Quoted from altan:

Sorry to hear. Glad you got it running again.
I just successfully upgraded from b35 to b36. It was very quick.

And don't forget the important part, which is live and let die light show is now jacked, right?

Definitely passing on b36 until they figure it out.
I was glad to see someone at JJP acknowledge some lamps were broken in the code and try to fix it because I feel like I was scratching my head somewhere along the beta path when the light shows changed that some seemed better but some worse.
Someone on here even posted in the past that Paradise City was different and missing some of the light choreography that was timed and synced to the lyrics previously. (Grass is green and the girls are pretty, with some green lamps and some pink lamps at the appropriate time I think)
This bug Discovery may explain that.
But with that many songs, my memory wasn't that good to pinpoint exactly.
Throw in my upgrade from the old Pinstadiums to the new Pin stadiums Right about the same time frame and too much changed for me to notice.
Anyway... We should expect b37 soon...

#26891 84 days ago

Agree! Skip this one.
They said they fixed some light shows but actually broke some in the process.

#26892 84 days ago
IMG_1212 (resized).jpegIMG_1212 (resized).jpeg
#26893 84 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I'll double-check but pretty sure I'm at a typical 6.8 (or close) pitch.

I have all my pins set to 6.7 usually.

Have had GNR 3 years now (coil power at 27 I think also, I don’t have coil fans) and I've always been able to make the left ramp from the right flipper. Even all the way into the guitar neck ball lock! I can also always back hand the left ramp from my left flipper. Flippers definitely don’t feel as strong as Stern but my GNR has always been solid on making all the shots in the game.

#26894 84 days ago

Do I have to remove the whole upper playfield to replace this broken rubber?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#26895 84 days ago

I’m pretty sure. When I installed my Cliffy’s, I had to remove it and took advantage of adding fresh rings while there.

#26896 84 days ago
Quoted from Dashmonster:

Do I have to remove the whole upper playfield to replace this broken rubber?

No, but you will have some work involved. You can use the snubber replacement method to get access.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/375#post-6671996

It looks like a lot of steps but it can be done in under 30 minutes.

Quoted from dmacy:

I’m pretty sure. When I installed my Cliffy’s, I had to remove it

This method is considerably faster than following the instructions for the cliffy, mainly because you don’t have to remove all the screws completely, or cut any wire ties, or unplug any wire connections. You also don’t need to get under the playfield at all. Just lift it out to a normal service position.

#26897 84 days ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

No, but you will have some work involved. You can use the snubber replacement method to get access.

Thank you sir I was struggling to find the search criteria to find the steps you so eloquently wrote. Snubber rubber is now in my vocabulary lol

#26898 84 days ago
Quoted from Dashmonster:

Snubber rubber is now in my vocabulary lol

You're welcome!!

I didn't learn what they called them till I got GNR myself! I see similar but slightly different ones on a few other games I already had in my collection now too.

#26899 84 days ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/375#post-6671996
It looks like a lot of steps but it can be done in under 30 minutes.

This method is considerably faster than following the instructions for the cliffy, mainly because you don’t have to remove all the screws completely, or cut any wire ties, or unplug any wire connections. You also don’t need to get under the playfield at all. Just lift it out to a normal service position.

I do a few playfield swaps so I know my way around. Bowing out of this thread. Not seeing I’m adding any value despite experience.

#26900 84 days ago

I still have my shitty original flippers with percisions on the way. I have found a way to make this game so fun! Play it first, make it the first game of the night, then move to a Stern, Bally, CGC etc if you don't you will see how bad the flippers are and will get the meh this sucks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
There are 27,675 posts in this topic. You are on page 538 of 554.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/538 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.