IMG_20240413_155854 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155858 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155856 (resized).jpg
IMG_1426 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_2636.gif
IMG_2002 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 28,343 posts in this topic. You are on page 482 of 567.
#24051 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

There is a light in Slash's hat. It illuminates the record spinner.

If that’s so…. My light has been down for just 2 years

#24052 1 year ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:

If that’s so…. My light has been down for just 2 years

Mate , I can't believe you've being missing out on the whole game experience
Hopefully it's just a loose connection .

IMG20230114144312 (resized).jpgIMG20230114144312 (resized).jpgIMG20230114144355 (resized).jpgIMG20230114144355 (resized).jpg
#24053 1 year ago

Went to play a game today. Got irritated when my QR code failed to connect me again so there wouldn’t be record of my score or accomplishments.

Reluctantly decided to press on but almost turned the game off again mid way through once the first song was ready and only half the songs were available. At that moment I realized I had forgotten to turn adult mode back on after some young kids were over. I think those two things are about the only thing that’s ever come close to ruining my great experiences with this game.

Not sure how I managed to stick it out till the end but I was giving some company a tutorial so it wasn’t a total loss I guess. Still netted 20m.

Time to check my LED at Slash’s hat next.

#24054 1 year ago

For those with the cliffy scoop guard, do y’all like it? Does it effect play much (ball fires in different direction etc)? Is it really needed it? The factory one is all bent to hell but is cliffy better than just replacing w standard part from JJP?
Also went to work on game today. The L lower flipper would not fall freely. I made an adjustment and now the flipper will not rest at the same angle as the R. It freely moves ba k to resting position but it’s not equal.
Any tips? Thanks!!

77DD7D01-512D-4A4C-B095-C85E4B4EF81F (resized).jpeg77DD7D01-512D-4A4C-B095-C85E4B4EF81F (resized).jpeg
#24055 1 year ago
Quoted from ConstantDrain:

For those with the cliffy scoop guard, do y’all like it? Does it effect play much (ball fires in different direction etc)? Is it really needed it? The factory one is all bent to hell but is cliffy better than just replacing w standard part from JJP?
Also went to work on game today. The L lower flipper would not fall freely. I made an adjustment and now the flipper will not rest at the same angle as the R. It freely moves ba k to resting position but it’s not equal.
Any tips? Thanks!!
[quoted image]

I installed the scoop cliffy. It's about the same as the factory one and probably only worth the effort of installing if your factory one is having problems. You do have to take off the upper playfield a little bit from what I remember.

For your flipper, I bet there's not enough gap between the clamp and the bushing.

#24056 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Mate , I can't believe you've being missing out on the whole game experience
Hopefully it's just a loose connection .
[quoted image][quoted image]

My light has never worked. This is awesome. I will check mine too fix it

#24057 1 year ago
Quoted from radfordian3505:

My light has never worked. This is awesome. I will check mine too fix it

I know this game has over 350 rgb's but there are moments where this one light does add to the gameplay experience .
Such a great game .

IMG20230115041621 (resized).jpgIMG20230115041621 (resized).jpg
#24058 1 year ago

You guys got me questioning this. I gotta go check mine today now lol.

#24059 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

If you have to unplug the existing hotrail connectors from the I/O board under the playfield (the small square board with all the Ethernet cables, mini USB), and plug a stadium topper Y connector into the hotrail ports, and then plug the JJP hotrail plugs go into the stadium toppers Y connecter, then yes.
If not, then they are getting their light show from another spot, like the spotlights, or maybe the backstage trellis lights. I think I recall the stadium topper spotlights gets its light show from that trellis connection, dont know for sure and dont know about the rails.
You could go into the diag mode for LED and change the hotrail colors and if your stadium topper rails change with them then you know but if you installed these then I suspect you know if you plugged them into the hotrails inputs with a Y connector or not.
Edit, I found instructions, they plug their own network cable into the IO board, not the hotrails.
Looks like the stadium topper demo shows they are getting data from an empty port, mostly seems sync'd to the trellis lights.....but hard to tell whats going on for sure in that video. Would have to know what that empty network port data contains and what their topper is using from it.
But I think its mostly similar to the backstage trellis lights.
https://85e41b2c-eed4-44ea-b89c-03625a7b1501.filesusr.com/ugd/ae11fd_0bb8f9b27f684e98ad306896cd5a57ac.pdf
here is the website with videos
https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/jjp-guns-n-roses-stadium-topper
Its an original topper, looks great and very cool light show implementation no doubt.

Very thorough as usual Vespula .
I had a mate come over tonight and I could pay close attention to what the topper and the LED strips were doing .
They have a mind of their own .
Sometimes they match up with the hot rails another times they sync with the stage lighting but other times they just do their own thing .
Normally in a song they match up with what's happening on the Playfield .
But in the picture below you can see the topper lights are different colours , the back box is a different colour and under the cabinet is a different colour .
From what I was told the guy who made these / programmed them , is a programmer at jjp .
Curious to hear the thoughts from anyone else who has the topper .

IMG20230114232952 (resized).jpgIMG20230114232952 (resized).jpg

#24060 1 year ago

My light has never worked. I didn’t even know there was a light under the hat. I’ve never seen the record spinner illuminated in any videos. Is this a ruse?

#24061 1 year ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I’ve never seen the record spinner illuminated in any videos. Is this a ruse?

Would I lie to you , Would I lie to you honey , now would I say something that wasn't true , I'm asking you sugar Would I lie to you
It's around the 40 second Mark .

#24062 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Would I lie to you , Would I lie to you honey , now would I say something that wasn't true , I'm asking you sugar Would I lie to you
It's around the 40 second Mark .

Lol
Makes me wonder what else I may be missing.

#24063 1 year ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Lol
Makes me wonder what else I may be missing.

Hopefully you got my joke .
I'm sure there's a lot in this game I haven't discovered yet .

#24064 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

From what I was told the guy who made these / programmed them , is a programmer at jjp .
Curious to hear the thoughts from anyone else who has the topper .

Then in that case it explains why he was able to plug into that empty network port and utilize it to access to all the game data and is doing his own thing. Very cool!

#24065 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You guys got me questioning this. I gotta go check mine today now lol.

checked mine just now. during the start up boot sequence i can see mine testing in the reflection of the record.

#24066 1 year ago

This is Kevin's (from Buffalo Pinball) machine that I just bought and am picking up tomorrow.

The reason I knew there was a light in Slash's hat was because of this video. It's an unboxing video with none other than Eric Meunier, the games designer. He says there's a light under the hat at the 42 minute mark of the video. Check it out below. ⬇️

#24067 1 year ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

My light has never worked. I didn’t even know there was a light under the hat. I’ve never seen the record spinner illuminated in any videos. Is this a ruse?

I'm not sure if mine has ever worked either. If it is working, then it must be pretty subtle. Can't wait to get home to check it out.

#24068 1 year ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

checked mine just now. during the start up boot sequence i can see mine testing in the reflection of the record.

Same. It doesn't stay on all the time, and when you're playing it's probably difficult to notice. Here you can see mine on and reflecting into the record during attract mode, but once "Live and Let Die" starts it goes off.

#24069 1 year ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Same. It doesn't stay on all the time, and when you're playing it's probably difficult to notice. Here you can see mine on and reflecting into the record during attract mode, but once "Live and Let Die" starts it goes off.

Wonder if it's tied into the record switch and lights when it spins.

#24070 1 year ago

Thanks everyone for the info on Slash’s hat
After further inspection, mine does have a single LED under the hat, single LED for 4 wires?
Guess I am surprised the hat doesn’t do something exciting, spin, move or something as it is such a front and center element of the game.
I am thinking a much brighter bulb or bulbs to really light up the record when it spins would be cool.

Thanks again for the responses, great to have a forum with this many knowledgeable and helpful members!

PS
I think I am officially addicted to this game!

J.P.

#24071 1 year ago
Quoted from NoExcuses:

single LED for 4 wires?

Might be because the record has two switches cw1 and cw2 for clockwise and counterclockwise. Then power and ground, maybe.

#24072 1 year ago
Quoted from NoExcuses:

Thanks everyone for the info on Slash’s hat
After further inspection, mine does have a single LED under the hat, single LED for 4 wires?
Guess I am surprised the hat doesn’t do something exciting, spin, move or something as it is such a front and center element of the game.
I am thinking a much brighter bulb or bulbs to really light up the record when it spins would be cool.
Thanks again for the responses, great to have a forum with this many knowledgeable and helpful members!
PS
I think I am officially addicted to this game!
J.P.

Is an rgbw those can create millions of different colours that’s why 4 wires

#24073 1 year ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

Is an rgbw those can create millions of different colours that’s why 4 wires

Ah, it's RGB? Of course it is! Maybe it's white in the SE.
I assumed it was white only.

#24074 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Can we key post this?
Thanks sevenrites

Done.

#24075 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Ah, it's RGB? Of course it is! Maybe it's white in the SE.
I assumed it was white only.

Watch it during boot up in the record reflection , mine went white,blue , red, green during boot up

#24076 1 year ago

Finally got my Precision Flippers installed! It didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped, but John provided excellent customer support and got me up and running. My son and I both agree that the Precision flippers are a vast improvement in both accuracy and strength.

Couple tips for anyone thinking about doing this on their GnR; the three bushings screws on JJP pins have small lock nuts on the back side of the flipper mech/plate. So you'll need to remove then entire mech (8 wood screws) to remove the bushings. Also, the oem upper pf flipper is 2" with a narrow tip. Precision has two mini flippers for sale but neither is an exact match; the 2" is fatter at the tip and the one with the same profile (narrow tip) is a 1/4" longer. I tried both and decided to go with the slightly longer version which looked better (imo) and maybe made the upper pf a bit easier.

The other thing I did to improve game play was adjust the orbit rail feeding into the upper right flipper. On my GnR, the rail sat about 3/16" to the left of the flipper, making the inner orbit shot very difficult. Adjusting the rail required elongating the hole for the screw on the rail mount so that it could shift closer to the flipper. This was not trivial as that rail cannot be removed without disassembling pretty much all the upper components and removing the upper pf. I ended up just removing the stuff on the right side (drum sticks and rails leading to inlane, plastics, etc), then removed enough of the orbit rail mounts to lift it about 4 inches. From there I used a small round file to enlarge the one hole in the lowest rail mount (made sure the pf was well protected while I worked). Should have taken before and after pics. Anyway, the fix makes the feed to the flipper very smooth now, and with the Precision flipper, the orbit shot works great!

20230115_121838 (resized).jpg20230115_121838 (resized).jpgd8738d87da65e8d74642bb5a119dfe1862b0e3d4 (resized).pngd8738d87da65e8d74642bb5a119dfe1862b0e3d4 (resized).png20230115_121544 (resized).jpg20230115_121544 (resized).jpg20230115_123909 (resized).jpg20230115_123909 (resized).jpg
#24077 1 year ago

Damn damn damn… I think my Slash hat light never worked too!

#24078 1 year ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

Watch it during boot up in the record reflection , mine went white,blue , red, green during boot up

Yup I see that now.

#24079 1 year ago

So my magnet coil is no longer working. I put it in test mode and it's failing there as well as during Gameplay.

Is it best to:

1) Replace the coil with the thermal breaker
2) Replace the thermal breaker
3) Remove the thermal breaker, as a suggestion here

Quoted from DrJoe:

Yes. There is a resistor taped (literally) to the magnet coil that fails. You can bypass it (remove the resistor from the coil) and/or contact JJP for a replacement.

#24080 1 year ago
Quoted from boogies:

So my magnet coil is no longer working. I put it in test mode and it's failing there as well as during Gameplay.
Is it best to:
1) Replace the coil with the thermal breaker
2) Replace the thermal breaker
3) Remove the thermal breaker, as a suggestion here

Here's a thermal switch repair post from PinMonk that might oughta be a sticky.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/473#post-7259480

#24081 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The coil itself is probably not actually dead. If you can solder, you can replace the thermal switch that is probably just stuck open and likely get it working again for not much.

OK, but what if you can't solder?

I'm only semi-kidding. Is there a way to fix this issue for a little bit more money without having to solder anything? I've never done it before (first time pin owner here), and if there's an easier fix that costs $20 or so more, I'd take it to get my magnet working again. But if the alternative is hundreds of dollars more, different story...

#24082 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaygee77:

I'm only semi-kidding. Is there a way to fix this issue for a little bit more money without having to solder anything? I've never done it before (first time pin owner here), and if there's an easier fix that costs $20 or so more, I'd take it to get my magnet working again. But if the alternative is hundreds of dollars more, different story...

Maybe someone wants to buy these switches and run a replace magnet thermal switch SKU in their store... Customer would send in magnet and you solder a new thermal switch on.

#24083 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaygee77:

Really, if you're going to stay in pinball, learn soldering basics. Basic soldering and a multimeter are pretty much required equipment/skills to keep machines running without having a tech on call. Even if you get a replacement coil from JJP with a new thermal switch, it will just die again if history is any indication. So keep replacing the whole thing, or replace the thermal switch as it dies, or active cooling are the only choices.

#24084 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Maybe someone wants to buy these switches and run a replace magnet thermal switch SKU in their store... Customer would send in magnet and you solder a new thermal switch on.

It's just a bad design, so the thermal switches will keep dying. Kind of a dead-end endeavor.

REALLY JJP should have put a temp SENSOR on the coil and fed the temps to the code and let the game decide when to turn the magnet coil off when it gets too hot. That would be MUCH more reliable. In the future JJP machines, I'd like to see that rather than these flawed thermal switches that I think the coil magnetism is killing over time.

#24085 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaygee77:

but what if you can't solder?

Youtube - lots of short how to videos. Get a soldering iron, solder, scrap wire. Easy to learn. Learn to flow solder. Then move onto the game.

You'll do fine with a little practice.

LTG : )

#24086 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaygee77:

Then you deal with it being broken or you pay someone who can. Or if you’re lucky you might have a buddy who can.

#24087 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaygee77:

i guess you could crimp it, i had to swap out some thermal switches on some warmer plates and they came with little crimp rings as solder temp was to high and would cook the new switches.

#24088 1 year ago

I do feel for the first time pin owners with no previous experience doing basic maintenance on pins who took the plunge on GNR. It’s going to be a journey for some. Fortunately most of the answers are here.

#24089 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/473#post-7259480

I ordered the 4 pack for 5.99 with free (10 - 21 day) shipping.
The magnet is not a game stopper so I can wait.

What the best way to remove / put back the coil wrapper?
Can I just cut it off and tape it back or is there a better way?

#24090 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

People complain to mods when I keypost my own posts, but sometimes I say, WTH and do it anyway, especially if the post has information no one else has covered. I took your suggestion as one of those moments and keyposted it. Let the chips fall where they may.

#24091 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

People complain to mods when I keypost my own posts.

Not in this club.
We is special... We is kind.... and we is important.

#24092 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

but sometimes I say, WTH and do it anyway

Thank you. As a user of this site, I’m fine with that. It helps everyone when key info is highlighted and easy to search for. There must not be any Karen’s in this thread.

#24093 1 year ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Thank you. I’m fine with that. It helps everyone when key info is highlighted and easy to search for.

That's what I think, regardless of the source, but some people like to complain.

#24094 1 year ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I do feel for the first time pin owners with no previous experience doing basic maintenance on pins who took the plunge on GNR. It’s going to be a journey for some. Fortunately most of the answers are here.

Said "woman take it slow and things will be just fine"
You and I'll just use a little patience
Said "sugar take the time 'cause the lights are shining bright"
You and I've got what it takes to make it
We won't fake it, I'll never break it
'Cause I can't take it

#24095 1 year ago

Right ramp/speaker diverter to right top flipper: does anyone know how often it is supposed to activate ? I don’t think I’ve seen mine divert a single ball in over a hundred games.

#24096 1 year ago

Miss a day, miss a lot. Lol

Picked up my GnR from top notch, pin brother Kevin today. Thank again Kevin. Awesome dealing with you brother.

Welp... after over 7 1/2 hours of driving, moving a few machines around,
setting GnR up,
leveling it up,
setting that 6.5° pitch,
dialing it in,
spending an hour alone in the menu system settings,
trying to hook it up to my wifi (which I couldn't get it to do),
and then playing it with my family for a couple hours,
I can honestly say that I simply can not believe this machine.

What a phenomenal game! My family and my daughters friend were all blown away. The lighting show on that machine is by far the best ever. The great shots, the 4 flippers, upper playfileds, all the songs, all the modes, all the choices, all the things to do, the awsome LE art package, this machine is truly insane! I can't believe this thing isn't $20k! To me, it's better than Pirates and Elvira HOH.

This will be in my home for quite awhile.

Congrats to everyone who has one.

#24097 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

When all else fails, if I reboot my modem and router, I have yet to have GNR not connect. For some reason, every now and then, I have to do that because it refuses to connect. You can power down, remove the USB WiFi card from the dongle, reinsert it, reboot the game and everything else - and if it still doesn’t connect then try rebooting your modem and router.

I suspect the game tries to keep or connect to a certain assigned and/or previous IP when I have my router set to throw random IPs every time a device connects. I’d need someone on the code dev team to confirm.

#24098 1 year ago
Quoted from Kalipin:

Right ramp/speaker diverter to right top flipper: does anyone know how often it is supposed to activate ? I don’t think I’ve seen mine divert a single ball in over a hundred games.

I have only seen it happen a couple times during song modes

#24099 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

Miss a day, miss a lot. Lol
Picked up my GnR from top notch, pin brother Kevin today. Thank again Kevin. Awesome dealing with you brother.
Welp... after over 7 1/2 hours of driving, moving a few machines around,
setting GnR up,
leveling it up,
setting that 6.5° pitch,
dialing it in,
spending an hour alone in the menu system settings,
and then playing it with my family for a couple hours,
I can honestly say that I simply can not believe this machine.
What a phenomenal game! My family and my daughters friend were all blown away. The lighting show on that machine is by far the best ever. The great shots, the 4 flippers, upper playfileds, all the songs, all the modes, all the choices, all the things to do, the awsome LE art package, this machine is truly insane! I can't believe this thing isn't $20k! To me, it's better than Pirates and Elvira HOH.
This will be in my home for quite awhile.
Congrats to everyone who has one.

You ain't even got started.. that's the best part.
Congrats!

#24100 1 year ago
Quoted from Kalipin:

It's definitely tied into when objective is inner loop on a shot... You'll hear a call out sometimes for inner loop and it will be diverted then for sure... But otherwise not often.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Boston, MA
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ardmore, PA
$ 11,000.00
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 210.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

There are 28,343 posts in this topic. You are on page 482 of 567.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/482?hl=cybevenom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.