IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg
1C8AE00A-E658-441F-8C85-35F46CC105C1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3148 (resized).jpeg
20240407_215717 (resized).jpg
20240407_215654 (resized).jpg
20240407_215630 (resized).jpg
IMG_0142 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 28,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 453 of 566.
#22601 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I'd probably run the pinmonk fans wiring with the other voltage wiring and not bundle them with the ethernets.

The fans are only 12v, not 70v like many of the coils, so very unlikely to be interfering with shielded ethernet cable at such a low voltage and a fraction of an amp, but if you want to be absolutely sure, you could do that.

#22602 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

LE is the only choice to be made. There's a reason there are almost no SEs out there. No one bought them because a huge chunk of the experience is missing. And GnR is about the *experience*.

Gotta disagree with you homie.

I have one of those few se's and it's faster, smoother, and a better experience than both of the LE's locally owned.

I get what you're saying, but it really isn't better. Or more "experience". In fact, it causes a lot more problems.

But to each their own.

#22603 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Eric and slash design one of the best pins ever... We all agree on that . But I can't wrap my head around how putting half the original game design in the chopper and implementing some band-aid rules could possible make it better? Cost less, yes, rare, yes, better, no. The dismal response to GnR SE was the nail in the coffin and the death of the SE at JJP and so they chopped it from TS4 to acknowledge it.

I thi k the dismal response was pretty much hype of getting the LE/CE. I'm not trynna hate on it. I'll play it. But it's truly, in all honesty never been as fun as any SE I've played. Especially mine. It just isn't.

Quoted from holminone:

Hahahhahah. No. For you maybe but the additional multi tasking it introduces multiplies the hero effect. not to mention the gorgeous head stock. Otherwise your just shooting ramps and rapid return.

Nah man. I can play it. And I understand it all and blah blah blah. To me, honestly, it feels.... Too much. Gorgeous headstock? Em... Ok?

There's waaaay more to do than "shoot ramps and rapid return". The ONLY major thing it doesn't have is the power chord. Seriously. Pyro. Check. Jam. Check. Amp. Check. Lights. Check. Patches. Yep those too. All the songs. Yep. All the modes. Yes.

And the overwhelming majority of problems have been with the ramp diverter, the ball diverters, the sensors, and the stupid light mechs. NONE of those make the game better, NONE of those are on the SE to fail repeatedly, and replace, and fix.....

Again, I'm. It saying the LE isn't beautiful and cool. But it's NOT a superior game to the SE in my mind. It just isn't.

I said what I said. Hahaha

#22604 1 year ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

I have one of those few se's and it's faster, smoother, and a better experience than both of the LE's locally owned.
I get what you're saying, but it really isn't better. Or more "experience". In fact, it causes a lot more problems.
But to each their own.

Well, everyone can like what they like, because it's pinball. But the FACT is BOTH the new and used markets overwhelmingly prefer the LE, and it's no secret why. The EXPERIENCE is better. SE boring white hotrails to make the lightshows plain? No thanks. No physical guitar lock to store my balls and taunt me with the countdown timer on an SE? Boo.

Sales are literally more than 10 to 1 in favor of the LE. That's people that laid down money, not just spouted an opinion, so the data's hard. Yes, there's more stuff to break, but not THAT much more, and I've had very few issues with mine.

You're allowed to have your opinion about what you personally like, you just can't change the facts when more than 9 out of 10 people are on the right side of the debate facing you.

#22605 1 year ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

But to each their own.

"My Honda Civic si is basically as good as a Corvette"

I mean if you like your machine, that's great! I'm happy for you. But don't try and convince the rest of us the low-cost model is the "best."

#22606 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

"My Honda Civic si is basically as good as a Corvette"
I mean if you like your machine, that's great! I'm happy for you. But don't try and convince the rest of us the low-cost model is the "best."

"cost" has nothing to do with Quality and or enjoyment

"Low-Cost" - Ok Jeff Bezos

I appreciate everyone's input - I do majorly enjoy my cheap ass model SE

#22607 1 year ago

For those that have pinwoofer in their game, does it really make that much difference? I don't have the volume on my games loud because they are directly under my loungeroom so this won't be turned up very much

#22608 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

For those that have pinwoofer in their game, does it really make that much difference? I don't have the volume on my games loud because they are directly under my loungeroom so this won't be turned up very much

Yep, big difference in my game!

#22609 1 year ago

I'm reading pages of people unhappy with the code updates and arguing which version of the game is better, yet my wife and I decided our LE is the next game going out the door. We can't get over the fact that the purpose of the game seems to be NOT to start a song and if you accidentally start it early you're doomed to mediocrity. I feel like I'm doing a list of chores every time to get to the fun part of the game. Reminds me of the MC Chris rant on Kingdom Hearts vs Resident Evil 4. "I go to the bulletin board, and I look at all the jobs, and I do all the errands, and I get enough money to buy a train ticket, to get on the dope ass Disney train to go to the fun fucking part of the game. That's bullshit. It took me like 4 years."

It's the most beautiful game I've ever seen, too bad the rules are just bland.

#22610 1 year ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

I'm reading pages of people unhappy with the code updates and arguing which version of the game is better, yet my wife and I decided our LE is the next game going out the door. We can't get over the fact that the purpose of the game seems to be NOT to start a song and if you accidentally start it early you're doomed to mediocrity. I feel like I'm doing a list of chores every time to get to the fun part of the game. Reminds me of the MC Chris rant on Kingdom Hearts vs Resident Evil 4. "I go to the bulletin board, and I look at all the jobs, and I do all the errands, and I get enough money to buy a train ticket, to get on the dope ass Disney train to go to the fun fucking part of the game. That's bullshit. It took me like 4 years."

I know what you mean. But next time you start a song with poor boost override and select November rain. I just did that had a start value of 39 or 59 and built to a jackpot of 40 mil. I was total fire. But if you arenā€™t I to the music I could see how you would want it to go.

#22611 1 year ago
Quoted from holminone:

I know what you mean. But next time you start a song with poor boost override and select November rain. I just did that had a start value of 39 or 59 and built to a jackpot of 40 mil. I was total fire. But if you arenā€™t I to the music I could see how you would want it to go.

I'm into the music! That's part of what sucks about it. We love the music and light show. Upgraded the speakers with Pinwoofer, whole shebang. I just wish we could build up those values while in the song instead. It would make all the difference.

#22612 1 year ago

I'm into the music! That's part of what sucks about it. We love the music and light show. Upgraded the speakers with Pinwoofer, whole shebang. I just wish we could build up those values while in the song instead. It would make all the difference.

I do not try to robotically do the same thing every time. That would kill the fun for sure.

I have been trying to start and finish slash solo lately. So far I have failed every time.

I make the journey the reward. I try not to play pinball the same way I would do a chore .

But if you can't find the fun in a game for sure ship it out. It is okay if is not your cup of tea!

#22613 1 year ago

Really depends on what you're looking for in a pin. If you're looking for a good time with great music, it doesn't get much better than GnR. If you're score-focused, I can understand your frustration. pinball_keefer REALLY needs to get back to the code and balance out the scoring/fix bugs.

#22614 1 year ago

Change your goals. There are many ways to play the game. If you're focused only on a good boost level pre-song it will get old.

#22615 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Really depends on what you're looking for in a pin. If you're looking for a good time with great music, it doesn't get much better than GnR. If you're score-focused, I can understand your frustration. pinball_keefer REALLY needs to get back to the code and balance out the scoring/fix bugs.

My even bigger score focused friends skip the mini wizard modes completely, just time them out.

#22616 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Change your goals. There are many ways to play the game. If you're focused only on a good boost level pre-song it will get old.

Educate me on this one. I thought the song boost was the only way to get 20-40 million point songs?

#22617 1 year ago

My even bigger score focused friends skip the mini wizard modes completely, just time them out.

Yeah, if you're just looking for scoring, there's no reason to play them. Another reason Keith needs to get back to this and fix it.

#22618 1 year ago

Educate me on this one. I thought the song boost was the only way to get 20-40 million point songs?

I think you replied to the wrong post. But I will say that November Rain is a 9 minute song, so even with a crappy boost you should be able to get at least 20 million, IF you survive.

#22619 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I think you replied to the wrong post. But I will say that November Rain is a 9 minute song, so even with a crappy boost you should be able to get at least 20 million, IF you survive.

Ah, so only that song. Yeah, I try to play different songs each time to mix it up.

#22620 1 year ago

Ah, so only that song. Yeah, I try to play different songs each time to mix it up.

I'm not saying it's only possible on that song, just that if you survive it, a decent score is pretty much guaranteed due to the length. In general on any song, try to get in band frenzy as much as possible and keep the balls in the pops when that happens and you can get decent song scores even with weak boosts to start. And chaining encores can be very lucrative as well...

But really the game is best enjoyed with the current code by not focusing on score and just enjoying the ride. The journey is the reward. Still one of my favorite pins for that reason.

#22621 1 year ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

Greetings Shmilder ! The kit is about 5Kg/10lbs so that quote is the best we can do. However, we will upgrade you to UPS Worldwide Expedited free of charge (we do not ship USPS outside of US and Canada). So, you'll take delivery in Australia within about 7-10 calendar days based upon recent experience.
Thanks for asking and best wishes!

PinWoofer appreciate the offer but postage is a deal breaker atm. i'll wait until i find another solution to get one here.

#22622 1 year ago

Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, if you're just looking for scoring, there's no reason to play them. Another reason Keith needs to get back to this and fix it.

With current code, thereā€™s two ways to fix scoring balance.
1. Make qualifying album modes easier, bring it down to the minimum time of 30 secs (default is 3mins). This qualifys the album mode quicker and when that happens, building its album score is easier.

2. Reduce scoring in songs by making them harder. To do this, increase the difficulty of each song. They all default on the easiest setting (1), raise them up between 3-6 depending on the song. Leave Civil War on 1.

Iā€™ve done both and while my overall scores are substantially lower, the balance is there; my album modes are typically around the same scores of my applause jackpots.

Also; thereā€™s many ways to tackle the game. If your focused on trying to do every objective in the game before starting a song, youā€™re going to find yourself disappointed, much like you posted. Always go for fender, but after that, play a song, light the extra ball, cash out. Play the album mode (for higher scoring if you made it easier like I said before). Play another song and go for another extra ball, or maybe press your luck at going for chaining encores to really boost your 2nd album mode. Also, you can try collecting a 6-ball powerchord, cash out with 10mil and an extra ball in less than a minute.

Have some fun and Explore your options. GNR rocks, slash solo sucks (broken record hehe).

#22623 1 year ago

Maybe the best code update for this machine would be to hide the scores. Just play the game as it is presented to you and at the end look at the score. I started with ball one on 125k and ended with 98m. So with this machine everything is possible.

#22624 1 year ago

Hey guys, Iā€™ve had this come in the last couple of days.. can some please help me out and explain, what it means
And what I need to do to fix it, hopefully itā€™s an easy fix
Cheers

3E14CCAC-59C0-45A9-8835-C0805C6A114E (resized).jpeg3E14CCAC-59C0-45A9-8835-C0805C6A114E (resized).jpeg
#22625 1 year ago
Quoted from Rivsta:

Hey guys, Iā€™ve had this come in the last couple of days.. can some please help me out and explain, what it means
Cheers
[quoted image]

Put the game in switch mode and see if activating the switch with your finger works, first.

#22626 1 year ago
Quoted from Rivsta:

Cheers
[quoted image]

That's the opto under the end of the drumsticks. Maybe it's dirt on it.
Get a qtip and clean it. Very light, squeeze it off, no drip, alcohol maybe.

#22627 1 year ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Maybe the best code update for this machine would be to hide the scores. Just play the game as it is presented to you and at the end look at the score.

I try my best not to look at the score , if I see I'm going well that's usually the end of me

#22628 1 year ago

You know you can hold down the action button to disable the 4 wizard modes of you want when the scoop is lit indicating mode enabled, but not after you start mode however.

There is no skipping slush solo if that is activated... Only avoiding the scoop. Or trapping a ball until it times out after you've started the mode. Maybe you can go into settings and configure SS to a million spins to activate. Never looked.

Aside from that you've got some great suggestions here. I do dabble in the different objectives but not to the point of it getting in the way of enjoying the game. When I approach the game it's just to rock out and see where the journey takes me. My knowledge of the game helps with integration and raise the level of fun in that I can make quick decisions or capitalize on situations. I don't groan at the game if the song starts because I've been surprised with some great moments and scoring comes and goes but I don't let it steal the fun. It's just a metric. I'm sure you'll find a buyer if you can't make some adjustments to the game like eskaybee said plus a little change in your perspective to focus on enjoying the journey.

#22629 1 year ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Keefer just said this on the beta thread
ā€œ Afaik beta and release gnr are the same at this time, though that is likely to change very soon.ā€
Sounds like a code update comingā€¦at some point anyway

I sure hope so. JJP's code support has been very disappointing IMO as of late. Updates come out very infrequently and then are typically just bug fixes versus adding anything new, and polishing existing modes. Can't believe I'm saying this but Stern is now offering better and more consistent code support.

#22630 1 year ago

Unpopular Opinion: Slash Solo is great.

I think the concept is perfect. Don't think about GnR as a pinball machine just racking points, or even as a music pin. Think about it as a concert experience. Slash is the focus, everyone else goes and gets a drink. I like not progressing anything else during the mode, that's the point. You can have the role of Slash, and try to play the mode without messing up, or be like the rest of band and trap your ball while getting a drink yourself. Both ways of playing fit the concert theme.

I'm fine with tweaking rewards, points and what not. Just don't have other stuff running at the same time. As far as risk/reward you can have every second playing solo count as seconds for the current album. This would open another strategy path. Want to boost an album? Make sure it's selected before starting Slash Solo, and then solo your way to a better album score.

-edit "I fine" to "I'm fine"

#22631 1 year ago

OK. This is gonna be my first bitch. This game is starting to piss me off more than I enjoy it. The scoring absolutely sucks. Itā€™s completely thoughtless and it frustrates far more than it rewards. What really tripped me up today is Civil War. I donā€™t know about you all but I find hitting the inner loop from the right flipper kind of a bitch for a slow moving ball. The difficulty of that combination should be rewarded. And it is not. If it is maybe I can get 10 extra points big effing whoop.

Honestly Iā€™m so sick and tired of shitty clunky drains, the uncorrelated and highly confusing scoring that doesnā€™t make any sense, the album modes that award me maybe 125k to 500k points with no seemingly real path for a pinball mortal to do anything rewarding.

My friends find it cool but way too frustrating.

#22632 1 year ago
Quoted from holminone:

OK. This is gonna be my first bitch. This game is starting to piss me off more than I enjoy it. The scoring absolutely sucks. Itā€™s completely thoughtless and it frustrates far more than it rewards. What really tripped me up today is Civil War. I donā€™t know about you all but I find hitting the inner loop from the right flipper kind of a bitch for a slow moving ball. The difficulty of that combination should be rewarded. And it is not. If it is maybe I can get 10 extra points big effing whoop.
Honestly Iā€™m so sick and tired of shitty clunky drains, the uncorrelated and highly confusing scoring that doesnā€™t make any sense, the album modes that award me maybe 125k to 500k points with no seemingly real path for a pinball mortal to do anything rewarding.

Itā€™s been discussed before. Civil war is the hardest mode to score on, hence worst to play if youā€™re chasing points. Good thing thereā€™s 22 other songs to pick from haha

Scroll up a bit to my last post regarding scoring balance. Thereā€™s settings you can change to increase scores on the album modes.

#22633 1 year ago
Quoted from holminone:

Why in god's name are you playing Civil War? Mistake #1. If that pops up on an accidental song start, take the penalty and hit the action button to pick another song - pretty much anything else except Patience.

#22634 1 year ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I make the journey the reward. I try not to play pinball the same way I would do a chore.

This. Try completing albums, getting platinum on each if you can. Try to get through more songs and longer... Make your way to wizard mode. I'll bet doing what I've just recommended would get a game better score than just trying to glean as much point value as possible out of every song.

#22635 1 year ago

Does anyone know when we can expect GNR CE play fields?

#22636 1 year ago

My precision pinball flipper system just shipped

#22637 1 year ago

Hey all,
Anyone know if JJP upgraded their spotlight assemblies from the original ones that go faulty.
Not the servos but the linkage arms etcā€¦?
Cheers

#22638 1 year ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Hey all,
Anyone know if JJP upgraded their spotlight assemblies from the original ones that go faulty.
Cheers

Doubt it, but just print those ones on Thingiverse. Much more heavy duty than the factory JJP brackets and linkage.

#22639 1 year ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Hey all,
Cheers

There was an official service bulletin from JJP that I posted in this thread a while back. In that service bulletin, it has you modifying the housing for the servos by snipping off a little piece so that the linkage arms can move more freely. I would imagine they modified them so that they wouldn't have to do this service bulletin.

Since I made the change involved in this service bulletin, I haven't had any linkage breaks.

#22640 1 year ago

I've got a left spotlight with 2 emax servos and the compete upgraded assembly kit from pu-parts. One of the stock servos in the left failed so I swapped both servos and the kit while I was in there.

I've got a right Spotlight completely stock. Over 1000 games in 10 months (November2021). Plenty of encores with the spots going berserk.. No issues yet.

#22641 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I've got a left spotlight with 2 emax servos and the compete upgraded assembly kit from pu-parts. One of the stock servos in the left failed so I swapped both servos and the kit while I was in there.
I've got a right Spotlight completely stock. Over 1000 games in 10 months (November2021). Plenty of encores with the spots going berserk.. No issues yet.

I've replaced both servos on the left spot twice so far...nothing on the right, still stock. Weird how that one seems to last longer.

#22642 1 year ago

Just got the email from JJP for the spare LE playfield I signed up for, so looks like it's finally happening.

NOTE: Be SURE to ask which SKU you're signed up for. For LEs, the spare lower PF by itself is $499, but you can get a set of both upper and lower for $618.

CE Owners will have to wait a bit longer. They're waiting on the mini playfields to come in before sending those emails out to the people that signed up for a spare CE playfield.

#22643 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I've replaced both servos on the left spot twice so far...nothing on the right, still stock. Weird how that one seems to last longer.

My left went out awhile back, replaced, itā€™s out again approx 4 mos later. I have a ticket into JJP but they gave me troubleshooting sheet before theyā€™ll replace. I havenā€™t had time to do that yet, and might be awhile longer since I just got surgery lol (minor procedure). Tight spotlight has been solid for entire ownership (knock on wood).

#22644 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Tight spotlight has been solid for entire ownership (knock on wood).

so_tight.gifso_tight.gif
#22645 1 year ago

^^^^Thanks for the info guys ref spotlights, appreciated.

#22646 1 year ago

Funny you guys mention having issues just on the left side. The only issues I had were with the right spotlight. A couple of servos and then the bracket itself (not the arms). Luckily it is pretty straight forward to work on those.

#22647 1 year ago

Anyone planning on doing a play field swap on their CE? =)

#22648 1 year ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Anyone planning on doing a play field swap on their CE? =)

I was thinking about it. Kinda torn.

On one hand, having the spare on ice means you can just beat the living crap out of what you've got until it's time to sell. And even then, maybe the buyer would rather do the same knowing they can refresh it when they want.

#22649 1 year ago

I am just curious how man hours and what kind of costs are involved. Probably not worth it. Just keep kicking the can down the road.

#22650 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I was thinking about it. Kinda torn.
On one hand, having the spare on ice means you can just beat the living crap out of what you've got until it's time to sell. And even then, maybe the buyer would rather do the same knowing they can refresh it when they want.

Unless Chris Hutchins or someone reputable is doing the swap I think a lot of buyers will be turned off by a game that has an owner swapped playfield on a game like GNR. There's the potential that it won't be put back together quite right. I doubt more than a couple people will follow through on the swap. Just keep the playfield as a wall hanger.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tulsa, OK
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 210.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

ā‚¬ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

7,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Crestview, FL
$ 11,000.00
11,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dracut, MA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

7,500 (OBO)
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

There are 28,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 453 of 566.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/453?hl=cybevenom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.