IMG_20240413_155856 (resized).jpg
IMG_1426 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_2636.gif
IMG_2002 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg
1C8AE00A-E658-441F-8C85-35F46CC105C1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3148 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 28,336 posts in this topic. You are on page 421 of 567.
#21001 2 years ago

So why is it that modern pinball machines donā€™t disable tilt when the machine goes into ball seek mode? Clearly a ball is stuck somewhere. Iā€™d rather shake it loose than have to pull off the glass. It seems like such a simple software change.

#21002 2 years ago
Quoted from Dobler:

So why is it that modern pinball machines donā€™t disable tilt when the machine goes into ball seek mode? Clearly a ball is stuck somewhere. Iā€™d rather shake it loose than have to pull off the glass. It seems like such a simple software change.

That's a really good idea!

#21003 2 years ago
Quoted from Dobler:

Can't agree more with your idea. In the meantime, I disable the tilt all together. People being too rough on my machines are banned from playing. Although that has been super rare with people visiting and playing.

#21004 2 years ago

I think there was some discussion here a while back about not being able to adjust the shaker motor intensity. It seems like that would be a great option since even being on the ground floor, my machine can shake the house. I can understand how that might not be as easy to implement as it seems, so what about the option to at least turn the shaker off in the settings. Or is that there and I just missed it? It would be nice to be able to shut it off temporarily if Iā€™m playing at night so I donā€™t wake up the whole house.

And back to my earlier comments about the knocker. If you go to the expense of adding the hardware for it (unlike Stern) you think you would want to use it for more than just match, which isnā€™t even relevant for home use anyway and so many of these machines are sold for only that. So bring back the ā€˜CRACKā€™ for an extra ball earned or at least allow it to be configurable. There is already a setting to turn the knocker on or off, why not extend that.

Not that I expect any of these to actually get changed in GNR. Sales are winding down so there isnā€™t a lot of return on investment in code updates at this point. Plus Iā€™d rather see some of the other suggestions in scoring and such that others here have suggested anyway. Love this machine though!

#21005 2 years ago
Quoted from Dobler:

so what about the option to at least turn the shaker off in the settings. Or is that there and I just missed it?

Settings -> Coil Settings -> General -> Maxiumum Shaker Strength

defaults to "Medium" two steps lower is "OFF"

#21006 2 years ago

After losing some good scores (for me) I've got a tissue around the knocker , I don't nudge the machine that hard , so I don't feel like I'm cheating .

Quoted from Dobler:

#21007 2 years ago

While Iā€™m here I might as well provide an update on my machine since I just did an inspection of the playfield. So itā€™s #2935 (serial # 3205) with a manufactured date of Feb 2022. Iā€™ve put a little over 400 games on it so far and I canā€™t see any playfield issues even starting to develop yet. I got a nice bright light and checked around all the posts and so far so good. Iā€™m expecting it may need some attention at some point, but am really glad it is holding up well so far. I was planning on getting an extra playfield just in case, but I may not.

Iā€™ve had a few things need attention like the wire gate on left ramp coming off a couple times, screws falling out, center spinner getting hung up by nearby plastic, ball getting stuck on right bumper, scoop shooting sdtm etc. but those are all to be expected. I am having a weird issue with my right spotlight where it isnā€™t going up and down but doesnā€™t appear to be linkage or servo related. JJP Support replied super fast though when I finally got around to reporting it. They sent wiring pin out so I want to buzz the cable next to see if it is just a bad crimp or something. With mirror blades in it is hard to get blade protectors on (and I wonā€™t lift it without them because it will scratch for sure) so I donā€™t lift the playfield that often.

I think the Scorebit integration adds a whole new level to pinball with achievements and social interaction. Seems like there is plenty of room for enhancements there so Iā€™m excited to see where it goes.

Iā€™ve been following this thread closely and I think have read every post for the past ten months or so and went back well beyond that too Iā€™m sure. It has been a wealth of great info so thanks to all who have contributed!

#21008 2 years ago
Quoted from frobozz:

Settings -> Coil Settings -> General -> Maxiumum Shaker Strength
defaults to "Medium" two steps lower is "OFF"

Nice. Thanks! I didnā€™t think to look in coil settings.

#21009 2 years ago
Quoted from Dobler:

While Iā€™m here I might as well provide an update on my machine since I just did an inspection of the playfield. So itā€™s #2935 (serial # 3205) with a manufactured date of Feb 2022. Iā€™ve put a little over 400 games on it so far and I canā€™t see any playfield issues even starting to develop yet. I got a nice bright light and checked around all the posts and so far so good. Iā€™m expecting it may need some attention at some point, but am really glad it is holding up well so far. I was planning on getting an extra playfield just in case, but I may not.
Iā€™ve had a few things need attention like the wire gate on left ramp coming off a couple times, screws falling out, center spinner getting hung up by nearby plastic, ball getting stuck on right bumper, scoop shooting sdtm etc. but those are all to be expected. I am having a weird issue with my right spotlight where it isnā€™t going up and down but doesnā€™t appear to be linkage or servo related. JJP Support replied super fast though when I finally got around to reporting it. They sent wiring pin out so I want to buzz the cable next to see if it is just a bad crimp or something. With mirror blades in it is hard to get blade protectors on (and I wonā€™t lift it without them because it will scratch for sure) so I donā€™t lift the playfield that often.
I think the Scorebit integration adds a whole new level to pinball with achievements and social interaction. Seems like there is plenty of room for enhancements there so Iā€™m excited to see where it goes.
Iā€™ve been following this thread closely and I think have read every post for the past ten months or so and went back well beyond that too Iā€™m sure. It has been a wealth of great info so thanks to all who have contributed!

That wire gate on the left ramp I probably fixed 5 times before I bent the flat metal brackets with the hole that the wire goes into inward toward the ramp enough to FOREVER prevent it from popping out accidentally. The right ramp did the same a couple times. I was being to conservative with how much I bent them in.

Does your spotlight move in the diagnostic test for the servos? My left one just started doing that and it was the vertical servo (key post on wiring for those if you need it). Replaced it with the EMAX and it was fine.

Insert Shameless plug for SPOTLIGHT ASSEMBLY UPGRADE KIT here! Arrived yesterday!
THREE LEFT IN STOCK! ORDERS ALREADY PLACED ARE SHIPPING TODAY.

SOLD!
Parts - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “this is the official GNR Spotlight assembly upgrade kit - Upgrade the assemblies on both spotlights with this kit. I had these imported from Germany @ pinball universe. They don'...”
2022-04-28
Nashville, TN
110 (Firm)
Archived after: 31 days
Viewed: 382 times

#21010 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Does your spotlight move in the diagnostic test for the servos? My left one just started doing that and it was the vertical servo (key post on wiring for those if you need it). Replaced it with the EMAX and it was fine

Thanks for the tip on the gate. My right spotlight was sporadic from the beginning but never seemed to work right. I assumed linkage or servo and I actually have a set of EMAX replacements just in case. When I looked into it and checked with diagnostic test I found the connector at the board wasnā€™t seated well plus horizontal and vertical servos were swapped. Also the screw was loose at the servo arm for vertical but I fixed that. At this point vertical doesnā€™t work at all when plugged in correctly, but it does work if I connect it to the horizontal cable so the problem isnā€™t at the servo end. Seems like either the cable or the board.

#21011 2 years ago
Quoted from Dobler:

Somebody hire this man.

#21012 2 years ago
Quoted from Dobler:

Thanks for the tip on the gate. My right spotlight was sporadic from the beginning but never seemed to work right. I assumed linkage or servo and I actually have a set of EMAX replacements just in case. When I looked into it and checked with diagnostic test I found the connector at the board wasnā€™t seated well plus horizontal and vertical servos were swapped. Also the screw was loose at the servo arm for vertical but I fixed that. At this point vertical doesnā€™t work at all when plugged in correctly, but it does work if I connect it to the horizontal cable so the problem isnā€™t at the servo end. Seems like either the cable or the board.

Are you able to swap the left & right spotlight wiring on the board to see if the problem stays on the board output, and if not, then try swapping the harness to see if problem follows the cable ?

#21013 2 years ago

Just finished installing Kyle Virginn's (PINBALL MODZ) "monkey mod' for my GNR Topper. The total job took about 30 minutes; could have been quicker but I was being very careful in the process. The installation instructions are excellent and the MOD itself is very high in quality. Some one mentioned that they thought that the 6 foot wiring harness was a bit short in length but I did not find it to be any problem at all. If anything, it was a bit generous. IMHO, the monkey mod really completes the JJP topper. I just wish there was some kind of shroud to enclose it all nicely within the confines of the topper so that the wiring, etc. would be less visible from a side view but that would just be the 'cherry on the top' of what is already a great mod.

#21014 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Are you able to swap the left & right spotlight wiring on the board and then try swapping the harness to see if the problem follows the board output swap or the cable swap?

Unfortunately no. Both servos are driven from a single connector to the board and I donā€™t have pin extractors to be able to swap the wires around. If the cable fails continuity check then that should be a simple and cheap item to send out. If the cable is good then Iā€™ll leave it up to JJP to decide how to proceed.

#21015 2 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

Just finished installing Kyle Virginn's (PINBALL MODZ) "monkey mod' for my GNR Topper. The total job took about 30 minutes; could have been quicker but I was being very careful in the process. The installation instructions are excellent and the MOD itself is very high in quality. Some one mentioned that they thought that the 6 foot wiring harness was a bit short in length but I did not find it to be any problem at all. If anything, it was a bit generous. IMHO, the monkey mod really completes the JJP topper. I just wish there was some kind of shroud to enclose it all nicely within the confines of the topper so that the wiring, etc. would be less visible from a side view but that would just be the 'cherry on the top' of what is already a great mod.

Pull the playfield out as far as you can and tell me that 6 feet is generous.

#21016 2 years ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Pull the playfield out as far as you can and tell me that 6 feet is generous.

I know there are names for all these positions but I dont know them.
Which position is blocked?
Are you prevented from extending to the farthest service position on the rails?
What about furthest position but full up apron leaning on the backbox?

#21017 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I know there are names for all these positions but I dont know them.
Which position is blocked?
Are you prevented from extending to the farthest service position on the rails?
What about furthest position but full up apron leaning on the backbox?

It will pull out to its furthest position so it's not technically blocked. But barely. Like I said, another foot or so of length would be more comfortable, could do more routing through the tube even then. Just a minor observation.

#21018 2 years ago
Quoted from Dobler:

Unfortunately no. Both servos are driven from a single connector to the board and I donā€™t have pin extractors to be able to swap the wires around. If the cable fails continuity check then that should be a simple and cheap item to send out. If the cable is good then Iā€™ll leave it up to JJP to decide how to proceed.

I didn't think to post this in your ticket and it might come in handy for the community so I'll post here.
Hopefully it helps you diagnose the issue further.

GNR - Spotlights Board Connections (resized).PNGGNR - Spotlights Board Connections (resized).PNG
#21019 2 years ago

If swapping connectors around to diagnose the spot lights, be sure to only do it in test mode, not in game mode.
The right spotlight is programmed to avoid contact with the stage lighting.

#21020 2 years ago

My new LE is being shipped out to me today! Beyond excited. I have a lot of reading to do in order to catch up!!!

#21021 2 years ago
Quoted from woodmedic:

My new LE is being shipped out to me today! Beyond excited. I have a lot of reading to do in order to catch up!!!

APRIL FOOOOLS!!!!

#21022 2 years ago
Quoted from Dobler:

I am having a weird issue with my right spotlight where it isnā€™t going up and down but doesnā€™t appear to be linkage or servo related. JJP Support replied super fast though when I finally got around to reporting it. They sent wiring pin out so I want to buzz the cable next to see if it is just a bad crimp or something.

My LE is just under two weeks old and I'm working with support on the right spotlight as well. It doesn't center when the machine is first turned on and does match the diagnostic testing movements. Certain movements also produce an odd sound.

One issue found during troubleshooting was the wires from each servo were swapped with the wires from the controller. Fixing this didn't solve the overall problem but perhaps the servo was damaged as a result.

I just received a new right spotlight assembly I will throw in this weekend to see if it helps. If not, I guess we start to suspect the controller board but the servo system has to be the least complex part of that boards function.

Could also call into question wiring that I can't see without taking more the game apart.

We shall see.

#21023 2 years ago
Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

If swapping connectors around to diagnose the spot lights, be sure to only do it in test mode, not in game mode.
The right spotlight is programmed to avoid contact with the stage lighting.

During testing with support, I didn't swap the left and right spotlight connections but they did have me swap the horizontal and vertical servo connections on the right spotlight for testing purposes.

Said "No problem. That's how they came from the factory!"

#21024 2 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

APRIL FOOOOLS!!!!

Nope. Itā€™s the real deal!

#21025 2 years ago
Quoted from woodmedic:

congrats, when did you order?, would be interesting to know what the current backlog is

#21026 2 years ago

I actually just ordered. There are several distributors that have them in stock right now.

#21027 2 years ago

~4000 pins later, I guess the wait for a NIB LE is finally over. Opinions anyone? Wouldn't JJP produce the rest of the 5000 even if production exceeds orders?

#21028 2 years ago

My buddy got this game last month. Anyone have a preference for patches to boost scoring? Thanks!

#21029 2 years ago
Quoted from MerseDaddy:

My buddy got this game last month. Anyone have a preference for patches to boost scoring? Thanks!

Duff, Fender, [T shirt, Poster], [Bra, Panties] are the ones I usually tick off first, then the other 3 sponsor patches to go with Fender (for extra ball).

The ones in brackets are a set when you have both.

#21030 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

~4000 pins later, I guess the wait for a NIB LE is finally over. Opinions anyone? Wouldn't JJP produce the rest of the 5000 even if production exceeds orders?

Likely not. Unsold inventory is not something they want to have. They can, depending on the license, run the remaining 1000 (or portion) if demand picks up.

#21031 2 years ago
Quoted from MerseDaddy:

If you only get one, get Fender. Following that get Gibson (Slash), Rose (Axl), Skull (Duff) and Vater (Richard.)

That should have you entering the song with 4 of the 7 band member spotted for Band Frenzy; shoot the active musician to collect the last three and kick it off.

While Band Frenzy is active feed as many balls as possible into the Richard spinner to blow up the score.

#21032 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

If you only get one, get Fender. Following that get Gibson (Slash), Rose (Axl), Skull (Duff) and Vater (Richard.)
That should have you entering the song with 4 of the 7 band member spotted for Band Frenzy; shoot the active musician to collect the last three and kick it off.
While Band Frenzy is active feed as many balls as possible into the Richard spinner to blow up the score.

Does Gibson and Rose actually help start band frenzy? I thought they were just for qualifying that member for the rest of the game (help starting a song).

#21033 2 years ago

Which is richards spinner? Middle?

#21034 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Does Gibson and Rose actually help start band frenzy? I thought they were just for qualifying that member for the rest of the game (help starting a song).

I'm almost positive. Spotting the character means spotting for qualifying a song and for Band Frenzy in the song.

#21035 2 years ago

Been thinking about the applause jackpot and how some complain about it being an all or nothing shot so Got a rules suggestion:

Applause lights 15 seconds sooner than it does now, for the first 5 seconds you can collect your applause jackpot value shown. After the 5 seconds, it becomes a hurry up where your JP value depreciates over the next 10-15 seconds to collect.

#21036 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Been thinking about the applause jackpot and how some complain about it being an all or nothing shot so Got a rules suggestion:
Applause lights 15 seconds sooner than it does now, for the first 5 seconds you can collect your applause jackpot value shown. After the 5 seconds, it becomes a hurry up where your JP value depreciates over the next 10-15 seconds to collect.

I like the idea, but 30 seconds might be too much. The 15 second one with a 5 second hurryup would probably be about right.

#21037 2 years ago

For those that are struggling with balls getting stuck on top of the bass ramp, here is one possible solution. Yes, you have to drill a small hole in the plastic, but the end result is very clean and it works. Get a small drill and drill a hole between the 2nd and 3rd string. Then simply put a small zip tie through the hole and around the ramp. Pull tight and you should be good to go. This fix pull s the ramp towards the plastic and fixes the ball getting stuck issue. For the purest out there it might be too much mental pain to drill a hole through the plastic, but to me it didn't bother me. What is important to me is to play the darn game without having to pull the glass

Screen Shot 2022-04-02 at 10.21.37 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-04-02 at 10.21.37 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-04-02 at 10.21.45 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-04-02 at 10.21.45 PM (resized).png
#21038 2 years ago

Alas, the replacement of the right spotlight assembly did not address the issue. It still does not follow directions in the diagnostics.

Also, the weird noise is still there which means it wasn't the servos on the original assembly.

My guess is the system is trying to drive the servos in a way it is not expecting or at the end of the arm stroke.

Anyway, I presume we will now look at the controller board or the wiring.

Will continue to work with JJP on it.

BTW, replacement assembly was sent Wednesday and arrived in Canada on Friday.

Have to be honest here, the JJP support attentiveness has been very good.

Shout out to Brian W for all his help and his continuing help as we try and solve this one.

#21039 2 years ago

Just a high level observation. It seems that more and more people are complimenting JJP support. For a while there was some serious bashing. Just nice to hear good news

#21040 2 years ago

Anyone seen this issue? Have to push up lockdown bar on the left side for it to engage. Anything JJP can supply to fix it? New lockdown bar or any easy fix? Thanks for the help!

#21041 2 years ago

Been doing it for a year nowā€¦. Just got used to it

#21042 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballGalore:

Been doing it for a year nowā€¦. Just got used to it

No fix from JJP? Thanks.

#21043 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Anyone seen this issue? Have to push up lockdown bar on the left side for it to engage. Anything JJP can supply to fix it? New lockdown bar or any easy fix? Thanks for the help!

You're very tight on the lockdown so I can't see the whole thing at the same time when you're demonstrating, but it appears that if you can't move the metal that the channel that the metal bar runs through is molded to, you can put a shim in the channel itself that would raise the metal bar up so it can slide freely at the proper height without intervention.

EDIT:
I can't tell because the spring is blocking the view in your video, but is the second screw that holds the piece with the channel in place and tight? It looks like the piece is crooked, and that screw being missing would cause that. The one pointed to in the illustration below...
jjp lockdown bar (resized).jpgjjp lockdown bar (resized).jpg

#21044 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Have you tried adjusting the brass screws on the top? Iā€™m not near my game and havenā€™t looked in a while, but I thought there were also adjustments that can be made on the inside.

#21045 2 years ago

So stoked. Got my machine signed by Duff this evening! He gave us a tour of his studio as well which was awesome. Sounds like he is having some issues with his Team Edition so Iā€™ve offered to take a look at it.

7EAD0893-1449-4D7E-9510-19EC725E1DAF (resized).jpeg7EAD0893-1449-4D7E-9510-19EC725E1DAF (resized).jpegC2F8B04C-E2C6-4FCD-939A-4E2A3DAEE560 (resized).jpegC2F8B04C-E2C6-4FCD-939A-4E2A3DAEE560 (resized).jpeg
#21046 2 years ago
Quoted from lemmings418:

Alas, the replacement of the right spotlight assembly did not address the issue. It still does not follow directions in the diagnostics.
Also, the weird noise is still there which means it wasn't the servos on the original assembly.
My guess is the system is trying to drive the servos in a way it is not expecting or at the end of the arm stroke.
Anyway, I presume we will now look at the controller board or the wiring.
Will continue to work with JJP on it.
BTW, replacement assembly was sent Wednesday and arrived in Canada on Friday.
Have to be honest here, the JJP support attentiveness has been very good.
Shout out to Brian W for all his help and his continuing help as we try and solve this one.

You're welcome. We'll look into a few things tomorrow after I got logged in.

#21047 2 years ago
Quoted from Dobler:

So stoked. Got my machine signed by Duff this evening! He gave us a tour of his studio as well which was awesome. Sounds like he is having some issues with his Team Edition so Iā€™ve offered to take a look at it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That's so awesome man !

The CE's have some interesting challenges.
Band member TE games no doubt would be a CE +

A big one is playfield disintegration around some posts unfortunately.

Check key posts for tech tips and problem post area map. Will be worth running your eye over these problem areas while you are looking into other issues.

I'm guessing sensors and or scoop ?
I'm sure JJP support will help, great to hear that support appears to be improving.

If you get a curly one, here to help, shout out with a DM if JJP support is unable to help.

Ando

PS
Please thank Duff for his awesome input into the game, so cool.

#21048 2 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Thank him from the heart of your bottom?

#21049 2 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

That's so awesome man !
The CE's have some interesting challenges.
Band member TE games no doubt would be a CE +
A big one is playfield disintegration around posts unfortunately.
Check key posts for problem post areas. Will be worth running your eye over these problem areas while you are looking into other issues.
I'm guessing sensors and or scoop ?
I'm sure JJP support will help, great to hear that support appears to be improving.
If you get a curly one, here to help, shout out with a DM if JJP support is unable to help.
Ando
PS

If I was Duff , I would ask Slash for help , apparently he knows people

#21050 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Thank him from the heart of your bottom?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bensenville, IL
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 11,000.00
ā‚¬ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 210.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

7,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Crestview, FL
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

There are 28,336 posts in this topic. You are on page 421 of 567.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/421?hl=ecw0930 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.