IMG_2676.gif
IMG_0960 (resized).jpeg
image1 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
GnRAllenWrenchMod (resized).jpg
200w.gif
IMG_2222 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

685 posts in this topic match your search for posts by zaphx. You are on page 3 of 3.
#17986 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Plumbers tape around the servo gear

I don’t understand this.

I just screwed it in using the screw that came with the new servo.

I don’t understand the problem.

#17993 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That's weird. If anything the gears on the EMAX ones I installed were on the snug side.

Same.

#17995 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Maybe yours were not stripped out?

Yeah that's what I am wondering. Mine just kind of ground to a halt, but if it failed in a different fashion I could see it stripping the bracket on the way out.

I am currently running 2 EMAX on the left, 2 original HK's on the right (which haven't died yet.) When they eventually do I will pay attention to the rebuild and take some pics.

#18055 2 years ago
Quoted from AvidPinPlayer:

The magnet over the AXL lanes stopped working. What is the best course of action? Is there an adjustment? I can't find where to test it in the testing menu.

It's in the coil tests. If the magnet fails, it's probably due to the fuse wrapped into the coil.

You have some options:

1. Get a replacement from JJP (which may fail again)
2. Replace it with an unfused coil of the same value
3. Remove the fuse from the existing coil and replace.

I removed the fuse in mine, but I also requested a replacement that I haven't installed. It has worked fine ever since I did this and I've had no ill effects.

#18063 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That magnet's thermal switch cuts off at like 180F or something (well, before it dies and never works again), and given how hot the diverter coil can get (220F+), that magnet coil without either a thermal switch like it comes with or a fuse added could be a fire hazard. I wouldn't recommend running it without one or the other, especially if you have long play times.

Fair point!

#18111 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

I've never seen Tour multiball on my mahine in a year, and left orbit is one of my favourite shots. How many times do you have to hit the bastard?

I haven't seen it in a long while myself. What you have to do:

- Hit TRAVEL shots (there are 3) until you're "On the Road"
- When you're On the Road, hit all 3 travel shots before the timer expires (I believe the poster patch lengthens this)
- Hit the (now) lit travel shot
- Hit the scoop to start it

It's one of my favorite modes.

#18158 2 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Apologies to Zaphx , for going on about post fixes, im only trying to help fellow pinheads.

On the contrary I'm sorry for bitching about it. This ain't my forum and clearly people love the washer talk.

#18212 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

I felt this game wasn’t as sturdy as my Sterns. I took off the felt under the legs and it feels much more stable. Just figured I’d throw that out there in case anyone felt the same. Hopefully I don’t get any decal wrinkles. I doubt I will. I just realized I used the word felt multiple times here

I say leave the felt - it's there to prevent damage to the radcals/side art.

If it feels wobbly (or squeaks when nudged) tighten a bit more.

#18236 2 years ago
Quoted from dougPDX:

Should have my GnR LE coming at some point this month or maybe in January. In speaking with Jordan @ Next Level Pinball, he was saying that the new machines seem to be in pretty good shape with the earlier-run issues now resolved with washers and better posts. Is that the consensus or is there still work to do on a new machine before starting to rack up plays...
Thanks in advance!

Man...just play and enjoy it. Don't look for problems. If they come up, buy the backup playfields.

Quoted from deejaypee:

Maybe I’m just thinking about it with crotchety old man brain. I am loving GNR for what it is. I just kind of want the experience to be complete. And maybe it’s pretty close but I’m just not good enough!
I know I SHOULD be able to play a song or two from each album, and then get through the album modes and mini modes, leaving me at nsftd. It’s just a very steep climb as it is! It’s the Everest of pinball.
I’m just saying, if I end up at Lost in the Zone every 30-50 times playing TZ and it still always feels special, ain’t nothin’ wrong with that. A friend of mine loves the difficulty of his LOTR but has never made the final wiz mode. Again, crotchety old man brain maybe, but the pinball arms race hopefully isn’t bucking up to impossibility. The wizard modes are coded, it’s okay if we get to play them sometimes rather than waiting for Karl to broadcast so we can see what was possible.
I’m not denigrating the game at all! I just have that itch.

I was making great progress early on but lately I can't put another together at all.

Guns is a deceptively difficult game. When you don't know the rules, you can just bang around and you -will- get a song. Once you have a specific plan you're trying to execute, it's so easy to fail.

1 week later
#18415 2 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_Ripper:

This game kills me. One day I’ll get 22 million just playing one song. Today I play 3 songs and two album modes and my score was 1.4 million.

Are you:

- Working the booster MB jackpots pre-song?
- Selecting patches that help you get band frenzy? (Fender, Vader, Gibson, Skull?)
- Shooting the active band members to get band frenzy going?
- Feeding balls into the spinner/pops during band frenzy to blow up the jackpot?

#18417 2 years ago

Oh yah, but all those things didn’t matter if I couldn’t hit applause jackpot or didnt cash out song. All good. Some days game kicks me ass. Not a bad thing. Only thing I didn’t know about was pops and spinner during band frenzy. Thanks for the tip.

Sure thing! That is the most impactful thing you can do to boost jackpots.

#18456 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Zaphx, close your ears, but I just went up to play and noticed all these dimples on my previously glassy play field..
First pin... First dimples.
Ah well, once I turned it on I can't see them. Gotta go play...

Fact of life my friend...only way to avoid dimples is not to play and I certainly do not advocate that

#18458 2 years ago
Quoted from Xelz:

Yeah, dimples are a fact of life with pinball. Learn to love 'em

The prevailing wisdom is "keep playing and eventually they flatten out smooth."

I have never seen that happen. However, I can assert that if you keep playing you will eventually stop caring about the dimples.

#18467 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Don't believe the hype. There weren't always dimples (not that they are a problem).
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

While that may be true, none of us have a time machine to go back to the older/harder wood they had available for those machines. We gotta dance with the girl what brung us.

#18477 2 years ago

Maybe it's just me...but putting a Slash guitar over the "crowd" section of the game is kinda nonsensical.

#18483 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Just picked up GNRLE #454...my 2nd JJP game (DILE was my first).
Don't know if this has come up before, but I'm struck by the silent spinners. The gorgeous guitar pick spinners deserve some sound! Hello!?!
Without sound, the spinners aren't nearly as satisfying to smash...sorry. Low hanging fruit from a programming perspective...kind of surprising considering how long the code as been out.

You don't hear the guitar riffs when you slam the center spinner?

#18508 2 years ago
Quoted from frobozz:

Yep, anyone who works on their own pins, since time immemorial, eventually ends up with a thin 1/4" open end wrench for just this purpose. They used to be in sets of what were called "ignition wrenches" but not sure what they're called these days with no more points and rotors in cars.

I'm a big fan of the Titan PinWrench for this:

https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=152&search=pinwrench

#18511 2 years ago
Quoted from etr104:

Thanks for the replies everybody, sorry for the dumb question.

Not a dumb question, we all get started somewhere.

You might enjoy the inimitable Butch Peel's "Tools of the Trade" video:

#18554 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Thanks and I like the idea so much that is what I first did and could not get the switch to make by banging on the cabinet. Seems like it only registers when a flipper is flipped so I will try the switch matrix test while doing the flipper next. The point value does change on the mystery points deal.

You might also be able to view the logs and get an idea which switch is firing erroneously.

#18556 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Hmm I really like this idea I can rack up a huge score without ever launching the ball and then see where the points came from some how? Can you please splain how to do this to a none techy guy? I used you how to update code on my Wonka and worked the first time I tried it. Could have pushed me over with a feather! Thanks for all you do on this site!

I don't know if there are points logged with switch hits, but the hits are in there - poke around in the menus and you'll find it. System log, error log, event log, something like that.

Start a game, bang the flippers several times to cause your false positive, then go find the log.

#18562 2 years ago
Quoted from HornerSyndrome:

I also had the blue foam snubber break off. Do you need to remove the upper playfield to get those two nuts off and on or is there some cool little tool I can use or can I just loosen the scoop hood enough to access them? Also since these break off any thought to putting something like electrical tape or something over them - seems like that could prevent future breakage. Thoughts?

Pretty sure the upper playfield has to go, you're going to need to remove the little holders and unscrew them to change out the blue snubbers.

I don't think anything will stop them breaking, just buy spares. E-tape will just cause a sticky gunky mess IMO.

#18585 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Question: When does the right ramp diverter engage? (sending the ball to the upper right flipper...)

Usually when the coma shot or inner loop shot are needed.

#18654 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

My left stage/spot light moves on both axis (so nothing is broken) but it mostly points down whereas the right spot seems mostly point straight forward, is this normal? If not, does it require a mechanical adjustment to calibrate the position? Thanks
[quoted image]

Boot to attract mode to center the servos. Power off. Loosen screw and aim to vertical center, tighten back up.

#18659 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

My right Spotlight is just a tad up, enough to hit my eye just slightly. Left doesn't do this. Is this considered out of alignment I wonder?
Part of me likes the effect (only on the right spot tho) since it seems to add realism to the back stage with the light just slightly shining in my eyes and looks like I'd expect the backstage to look from the audience.
So I'll leave it but just wondering if everyone else "home"position is not shining in eyes at all? arzoo might adjust to just slightly up to create a little glare on the right Spotlight a and see if you like the realism effect like I do

The world is an imperfect place.

1 week later
#18818 2 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

That’s incredible! Can someone explain to me a couple things in driving towards band frenzy because achieving it feels completely random. I had fender, vater and duff. When I see for example the axl microphone or the keyboards icon next to the rock meter, what am I shooting at? For axl am I going up the gut through the record or am I going up the left loop? For keyboard so I simply need a roll a ball over the keyboard? It’s so freaking confusing. Also the nebulous icons between the flippers are still confusing to me.
I would love someone to take 10 minutes and just explain how to systematically achieve band frenzy during a song.

Band Frenzy is not at all random - note the revolver on the playfield (and the colored dot version on the LCD.) That shows which band members you've collected in the song towards Band Frenzy.

Red = AXL shots in the top inlanes
Yellow = Duff, left ramp
Blue = Richard, center spinner
Orange = Slash, Record spinner
Green = Frank, pops or right ramp
Cyan/Purple = Keyboardists, rollover sensor in front of the scoop

Hitting the band member's shot *when it is active* is how you get the Band Frenzy members filled in.
There is a little indicator near the colored revolver on the LCD which shows you the currently active band member and the next up on deck.

When BF is active, spam the center spinner and pops.

The first 20 mins of this video cover this stuff:

#18822 2 years ago
Quoted from Shmilder:

Has anyone else had issues with the scoop cliffy bending up into the scoop over time (from under the playfield) . I'm now on my second one and it seems to be doing the same thing. Seems like the ball hitting the fold point is slowly opening it up and straightening it out

I literally had to change mine out last week, the foldunder "tab" broke causing the cliffy to lift and prevent activation of the scoop switch.

I replaced it with a spare I had, I need to order some more I guess.

#18826 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I just tried playing without the glass on and holy crap it's loud... The flipper snap is startling, and the sound of the ball rolling on the play field and going up ramps.. me no like.
Amazing how much that little sheet of glass traps and dampens the sound.

first-time-meme-template-hiql5.jpgfirst-time-meme-template-hiql5.jpg
#18868 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So maybe your ATX power supply is flaky? That would create a lot of random problems.

That happened to me on POTC. It would reboot under heavy coil load.

Replacing the ATX supply fixed it.

#18878 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

JJP should really just get you under NDA and then send you machines pre-release to torture test. You play your machines long and harder than anyone I know. Could probably show up 80% of their field/design issues before production begins.

I agree, we really tend to find the wear spots or other trouble spots pretty quickly.

I credit my wife - while I like playing too, she sinks her teeth into these things like a dog with a bone. She loads up all 4 players and will do that for hours.

#18904 2 years ago
Quoted from abelelectronics:

Anyone interested in a fresh game off the line PM me. I have some coming next week from JJP. I can drop ship one right from the factory.

Gary’s always taken care of me on my JJPs, he’s great to deal with!

#18919 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I have the Sven speaker kit installed on my game and every single time I hit the upper vuk the ball gets stuck between the diverter and the bottom of the amp piece
Does this happen to anyone else and what is the solution?
Here is what mine looks like
[quoted image][quoted image]

Remove it?

#18922 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

That’s the only piece I care about in the set. The standard ball exit up there is bloody ugly

Well it looks like a major design flaw to me with that stucky ball it creates.

#18927 2 years ago

Putting an amp on the neck of the guitar makes no sense to me, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#18955 2 years ago
Quoted from DKong:

Quick question; Does the Cliffy centre scoop have an adhesive back?
Thanks

I specifically asked to get one that had it. I feel like it worked better though admittedly I just had to replace my cliffy even with adhesive.

The "tab" that holds it down broke, making it act like a spring. It prevented the scoop switch from activating.

I fortunately had a spare so I tore it down and swapped but I need to order a few more.

#18957 2 years ago
Quoted from atg1469:

Curious, are others able to hit the left ramp shot from a left flipper hold without much issue?

Yes. But:

- My flippers are both +2 from default
- Aligned to the metal ball guides
- Cooled with PinMonk fans

#19000 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballFuries:

During a game tonight a ball went into the center scoop but did not eject. The machine eventually went into ball search mode and kicked it out. I shut off the game and went into test mode. The coil fires during coil tests but the switch doesn’t register when a ball is in the scoop during a switch test. I can manually register the switch when pushing down on it with a pencil. Do I need to remove the switch and bend it or is there something else I should be looking at?

Do you happen to have the scoop Cliffy installed? If so, there is a tab on it that eventually breaks (it happened to me recently) causing the entire protector to act like a spring and prevent the ball from hitting the switch.

#19026 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes. And I thank you for that.
Sad part is I knew it was coming when I made that post. Trying to be up beat and a supporter to the end.
LTG : )

You’re a kind person Lloyd. We all appreciate you.

#19090 2 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Buying off another pinhead. It has slight pooling in a few spots. Asking whats the best solution. Seems there is a few different routes I could do. Just looking for the best solution.

Buy replacement playfields and enjoy the game.

#19109 2 years ago

“Playfields”? Lol I love that even you don’t hide the fact JJP playfields are shit, that you need to purchase multiple. Plus I know most ppl in this site are super comfortable swapping out their playfields.

The game has an upper playfield and a lower playfield.

And the playfield issues are well known, it is what it is. Unfortunate for sure but if you've got perfect spares on ice who cares.

#19187 2 years ago

Did you know Frank Ferrer uses Sabian, not Zildjian?

#19203 2 years ago

Did you know you’re wrong? Frank has used both Sabina and Zildjian in the Not in this Lifetime Tour. Also previous GnR drummers like Matt Sorum and Steven Adler were also known to use Zildjian.

He stopped using Zildjian in 2014.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Ferrer

#19205 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Like Goofy said Zeildjian looks way better and if Gunners used them at some point , bonus .
They're the brand I remember seeing on the drum kits of all the cool bands , when I was growing up .

So much for theme integration

#19208 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Also thank you for your tip about keeping the right flipper up to get the coma target

That target is so hard to hit without it!

#19212 2 years ago
Quoted from Cayenne:

Hello,
I have not found the post anymore.
I need to adjust the spinner down a little.Which screws do I need to use for this and how?
Thanks[quoted image]

Loosen #8, spin #1 until the height is where you want it, then tighten #8 back down.

#19219 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

From my perspective, "player friendly" means clear objectives/goals, combos, & scoring. LOTR is an example of "player friendly" (also coded by Keith).
GNR has so many blinking lights that it's hard to follow (especially with all the MB's). Does GNR even have combos?
I don't find GNR particularly brutal (in terms of ball times). Having a 5 minute GNR session with low scoring and "meh" shot choreography (and no combos) just doesn't feel satisfying (to me). By contrast, I can have a 3 minute TRON session and feel more of a rush.
Just to be clear, I like GNR and I'm happy I picked one up. Just not fully feeling it yet, and can't agree it's the GOAT of all music pins (which is what I was responding to).

Here's the Cliff's Notes version of the rules/goals/objectives.

Pre-Song
-------------------------
Lights MB: Hit target on upper playfield, then pink shots
Amp MB: Spell AMP in left inlane, then yellow shots
Crowd MB: Hit skill shots / under flipper shot, then blue shots
Pyro MB: Hit pyro target behind Slash hat. All shots count towards jackpot which you collect with action button.

Maximize these MB jackpots as much as you can to boost your song level before starting the song. I like to stack all 4 at once.

In-Song
-------------------------
Shoot the lit shots for the song to keep it going and keep the rock-it meter boosted.
Lock all active balls on the neck for power chord.
Try for band frenzy: Shoot active band members (indicated in lower right of LCD, active/up next). Colored dots in revolver show the ones you've got.

That's the basic idea. When you're ready for them, patches (collected by spelling GNR) will give you boosts toward different objectives.

EDIT: Oh yeah, combos - I think they do exist. One that I know of is left orbit to Coma target (hold up right flipper) which lights Coma.

#19221 2 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Collect the band member patches first. My $0.02
Edit - more of a strat than a rule but works well.

Without question - trying to walk before running here

#19224 2 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

Can someone explain exactly what happens scoring and level wise when you start the second song, not as part of applause jackpot? How much of the goodness of your prior booster multiballs carryover? Also, what is the benefit of starting a second song from the same album you may or may not have kicked ass in the prior song?

There is a song level and an album level, so playing songs from the same album has the benefit of accruing higher and higher jackpots.

#19255 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

My right flipper has been mushy feeling since day 1, not bad but not strong. I put stiffer springs on both today and huge difference. Very snappy now, had to turn back down to factory settings

I think you are mistaken.

Stiffer springs would make it snap back to idle faster, but require additional energy to deploy as now you're fighting against a stronger spring.
I would expect the flippers to perform weaker after this change.

For weak flipper issues I recommend making sure the bat moves freely, the plunger is going in/out squarely in the sleeve, sleeves are cleaned/changed every few thousand plays, etc. And of course review Butch's video on flippers.

#19256 2 years ago
Quoted from atg1469:

Would love to know this as well! I've felt a huge difference between my left and right flipper and was hoping to figure out a way to correct the issue..

Manipulate them by hand, if one feels like it's catching/grabbing you might need to adjust it vertically so it's not dragging on the bushing, entering the coil sleeve at an angle, etc. Review butch video above.

The spring change won't help you and will probably make it worse. The only thing that spring does it make the flipper return upon release.

#19259 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Don't think so. The problem I'm having was weak spring, slow return. It works 100 % better

I mean, it's your game so if you're happy, enjoy.

I personally value flipper UP power - what I use to make shots - over flipper DOWN power, but you do you.

#19287 2 years ago
Quoted from deejaypee:

Wait, so I might have a bum magnet then. I thought it was just coded to never really activate with the last update, but I can’t remember the last time mine caught a ball at all. So if Axl isn’t collected, and I shoot it through the loop, it should be on?

Usually, but it's used less as the game progresses. Fire it in coil test with a ball up near it to see if it's dead.

#19430 2 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

How is everyone handling the chip playfield issues? I have a chance to get a used one but of course there is a chip behind a metal post. Are we filling them in with something? Covering with washers? Thanks for the input. Just trying to get a game plan. At 10.5 not sure if i should even mess with it.

I covered them up with black carbon fiber cliffy rings. Thinner than washers and hides the damage decently.

Will get a replacement playfield when available.

#19476 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

On this vein, dont the 6 lights on the guitar light/sensors indicate how many virtual locks you do have when the balls are released so you can keep track?

In song those lights indicate the number of balls in play.

#19541 2 years ago
Quoted from Chambo:

Do I need to remove the upper playfield to get at a nut underneath? Any tricks to this that anyone can offer me?
[quoted image]

You can remove the UPF but likely can reach the nut under there using a Titan PinWrench or similar small tool.

1 week later
#20104 2 years ago

I don't understand you guys putting Slash on the AXL area of the game, blocking the lane lights and the screen.

#20109 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

No blockage with the super starz slash, that's a myth.
Slash on Axl's Lane, yes, but your a total purist, so I get it.
For the comment you earned another picture. [quoted image]

All of that makes my eyes bleed.

Just please make sure none of this is irreversible so when you sell after 200 plays someone else can enjoy it as it was intended.

#20117 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballFuries:

I’ll get shit on for commenting, but I’m in zaphX corner. I don’t understand blocking the Axl lanes or skill shot area with as much stuff as you can cram in there. It just doesn’t look right. If you show a picture of these mods to some pinball noob and ask them to point out the aftermarket add-ones, they can probably pick out like 99% of them cuz they just seem out of place.

The drums on top of drums get me.

#20123 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

You just shat on yourself.

Now that wasn’t nice.

#20132 2 years ago
Quoted from Xelz:

Hey folks, can we all agree that different people like to different things to their machines? You’ve got some owners here sharing tips for a mod they both like.
No one told you that you should add a Slash figurine to your machine, so why come in and tell them you don’t like their taste? Have some manners.

If people post here to brag about it are they not inviting opinions?

To be clear your game is your game, trash it how you like but I don’t have to like it.

#20141 2 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Ok Gentlemen, finally got my art blades installed. Boy do they look great. It definitely is a two person job even if doing the wet method. Like every thing else on the pin just Amazing.
[quoted image]

Looks like you nailed it, nice job! I whiffed my first art blade install pretty badly (I tried doing it dry) and had to start over with a second set.

#20142 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

it's my opinion that the world would simply be a better place without certain people in it.

Wow. I don’t think you meant that to sound as hostile as it did. Let’s take things down a notch, yeah?

#20143 2 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

Not a post pass. Check out this at 44 minutes 30 seconds. It’s an example of the touchy thing he does. In this case he’s going backwards with the ball but I’ve seen him flip it to the other flipper doing this, and of course this is his go to on the right flipper to make some noise!
https://m.twitch.tv/videos/1280683473

I think you’re referring to a flick pass - it’s just a super fast release/tap when the flipper is raised, just enough to get it over to the other flipper.

Karl is an incredible player, he makes that stuff look easy!

#20146 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Hypocrite much?

Calling out tacky mods is not the same as calling for someone’s death, don’t you think?

#20156 2 years ago

Why don't you just make a separate thread about what a horrible person I am so the GNR owners can talk GNR?

#20158 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I made it past Slash solo without losing a ball last week!

I've only made it to level 2, what happens when you beat it?

#20162 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Selfish to the core. Now you want a dedicated thread specifically idolizing your character? In your dreams.

On the contrary, I'm trying to get the subject changed away from me and back to GNR.

#20166 2 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

How do u get to sympathy for the devil?

I've never done it, but I *think* you need to play:

Slash Solo
Tour MB
All 4 album modes

#20174 2 years ago
Quoted from Blu:

Ugh. Here I was just thinking it was the 4 modes. Getting tour and slash solo in there too sounds pretty rough.

I might be wrong! I've never gotten that far.

#20181 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If I remember right, how well you do on the album modes affects the score sizes on the no sympathy for the devil. I think it's like Godzilla/PlanetX in that regard. You can rush through to get to the wizard, but if you have crappy scores along the way, the wizard mode won't be worth much.

Classic Keefer. POTC is similar, where the more characters you collect in the chapters, the better the wizard mode payouts are.

#20198 2 years ago
Quoted from Blu:

It all ties back to your ability to successfully start and make use of band frenzy + patch abilities. Every massive song score that I have had directly related to that and obviously start value.

This. Activating Band Frenzy and feeding the spinner shot when active has the biggest bang for the buck IMO.

#20225 2 years ago
Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

Well this was a new one for me, had all four booster multi-balls going and then this crap happens, trying to shake them loose I of course tilted the machine....
[quoted image]

Magnetized balls? Looks like they are sticking to the rails.

Not using chromed balls are you?

#20229 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

That’s not a magnetized ball problem. It’s the spinners and/or ball guide. Do as suggested above and lube the spinners a bit. I had this problem and squeezed the ball guides in a hair so that it would catch the spinner better.

Also a great suggestion. I super lubed my passive diverters.

#20231 2 years ago
Quoted from PinsNJeeps:

Gotta give credit where credit is due. I got the idea from you.

When I'm not pissing people off I'm trying to help people

#20254 2 years ago
Quoted from usafstars:

Best I can do for you is link you to the manual: https://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/gnr/GNR_Manual_May2021.pdf
Hope that helps you.

64vp22.jpg64vp22.jpg
#20291 2 years ago
Quoted from Looking4FirstPin:

My ignite the flames Multiball is starting at the beginning of the first ball for all players even though the Pyro target has not been hit. Has anyone had this issue?

You have a stuck switch, either the pyro target or the sling nearby.

#20295 2 years ago
Quoted from Dustwel:

I just had this exact issue on my brand new machine and fixed it yesterday. For me, I went into the matrix switched test and saw switch #18 was stuck active. This corresponds to the rubber to the back/left of the spinning record. I remedied by stretching the rubber and bending the metal blade behind it a bit until it was not active when not being touched. No issues since.. at least with that issue. Still working through several more.

Mine had it OOTB too, adjusted the switch gap with a leaf adjustment tool.

#20300 2 years ago
Quoted from Looking4FirstPin:

Thanks, everyone. It was the rubber switch. I adjusted it.

Welcome to pinball tech and congrats on your first fix!

#20309 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I'm set up same as you, pinwoofer, no issues at all. I cant see how a woofer can cause an issue, mine is directly under the front of the pin, so if vibration was cause, it should affect me as well. Using a klipsch 12" sub

You never know - it might introduce a ground loop, adding noise to the electrical signals and causing the sensor to misfire.

First thing I'd do is unplug any 3rd party electrical addons and see if the problem goes away, then work from there.

2 weeks later
#20626 2 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

So I put washers on one side of the scoop VUK, but some of the ejects are going dangerously close to the tip of the left flipper.
Is it supposed to hit closer to the middle?
Also, what's the recommended pitch for this game? 6.5?

Top of the bubble touching second line from the bottom.

1 week later
#20743 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Well your post number 22,222 has a sobering message... At least I know YOU'LL never leave me.
If you are right, and monks usually are, I think I'll choose to stay in denial just a tad longer..

I won't leave you either <3

#20813 2 years ago
Quoted from Enchantress:

Waiting for all my mods and bulletproofing/tear down b4 game 1. The anticipation is killing me. Thoughts on whether I should be proactive and change out original servo’s while their accessible?

Don't fix what isn't broken. I don't even consider any of this "bulletproofing" nonsense to be worthwhile.

Play your game and enjoy it. If things break or fail, address them then.

#20817 2 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Have to chime in here.
This is Poor advice.

I think advising newbies to disassemble and reassemble their brand new game (voiding the warranty) is poor advice.

But we'll agree to disagree.

This stupid forum has terrorized people to the point they are afraid to play their games.

#20818 2 years ago

Bah. Meant to edit and quoted myself.

#20872 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Here is my 2 cents on this topic...
Felt protectors are included but not necessary and negatively affect stability.

I strongly disagree. Those protectors keep the legs from chewing into your cabinet. If the game squeaks when nudged, tighten the nuts a little more.

#20878 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Felt not needed. The legs do not come in to contact with decals because there are metal spacers already installed. There have been zero instances of people saying decals are getting ruined because of the legs. Isn’t your motto not to worry about damage and just play the game?

Sure but not to the point of ignoring the manufacturer-supplied safeguards, that's just dumb.

1 week later
#21031 2 years ago
Quoted from MerseDaddy:

My buddy got this game last month. Anyone have a preference for patches to boost scoring? Thanks!

If you only get one, get Fender. Following that get Gibson (Slash), Rose (Axl), Skull (Duff) and Vater (Richard.)

That should have you entering the song with 4 of the 7 band member spotted for Band Frenzy; shoot the active musician to collect the last three and kick it off.

While Band Frenzy is active feed as many balls as possible into the Richard spinner to blow up the score.

#21034 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Does Gibson and Rose actually help start band frenzy? I thought they were just for qualifying that member for the rest of the game (help starting a song).

I'm almost positive. Spotting the character means spotting for qualifying a song and for Band Frenzy in the song.

#21103 2 years ago
Quoted from etr104:

Okay next issue. I don't recall seeing this discussed in here before. When i have a ball going down the right-most lane of my Fender bass wireform, it falls through the hole onto the cat walk as expected, however when it hits the cat walk, the ball bounces and goes over the hole in the cat walk, landing in my inlane, but also jumping over the inlane switch to activate the GNR. I bet I've missed out on a lot of patches because of this! hehe.
Anybody else have this issue? If so, how did you resolve it? Any way to deaden the bounce into the cat walk? I can try to record a highspeed video of this if it helps.

Stick some fuzzy-side velcro behind the metal end plate of the catwalk return.

It will resolve the issue 100% and it's invisible to the player.

#21111 2 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

Hello Everyone,
My AXL loop magnet is not firing. in test mode, it will "flick" the ball a bit, but it will not HOLD the ball steady. voltage test reveals 67 volts getting to the coil. there appears to be continuity when tested at the connections multiple times.
years ago, my wonka left lane magnet coil was dead; it had no continuity. Here is different. there is continuity.
do you all have any ideas?

In my experience it either works 100% or it's straight dead from the thermal fuse blowing out.

The test mode is a very short pulse so it's only really useful to see if it's dead or not. Does it ever grab during gameplay?

#21120 2 years ago
Quoted from Straight2VHS:

I am starting to encounter a reboot/power off issue with my GnR LE. It's an April 2021 build. I have it on location and have noticed at times it's been powered off when it should have been on. Today I played it for about 15 minutes straight in 1 game and it suddenly rebooted mid game. After the reboot the game went back to the start screen. I tried again and about a minute in the machine rebooted. At one point the machine was rebooting again just after booting up and cycling through the coils at startup. In some cases the machine was powering off requiring a power cycle to start up. One reboot ended up in an Ubuntu menu on the screen. I checked the logs and there's no mention of a crash just a date/time stamp for each restart, which was not initiated by me. Any ideas? I'm thinking power supply but wasn't sure. I did a search and couldn't find anyone with similar issues.

I agree with pinmonk, sounds like a bad supply. I had this happen on pirates.

Spamming the knocker in switch test was an easy way to reproduce the reboot, and to confirm it was gone after replacing the supply.

#21153 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Have some original LE side blades for sale, pick up at Pinfest or in Toronto area $100US. Perfect condition. Thanks.
[quoted image]

Those are CE side blades dude!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#21186 2 years ago
Quoted from LEL737:

Following. I’m having the same issue and was wondering the same thing.

When POTC lost its supply I just bought one from Best Buy. A corsair 750watt I think.

1 week later
#21301 2 years ago
Quoted from usafstars:

I have the exact same thoughts, my right flipper spring definitely doesn't have the snap back. I just purchased the Stern flipper springs, on my current Stern machines they really have good tension...had other purchases to make so I thought why not try it.
"Pinballlife.com" Sega/Stern Flipper Extension Spring (265-5035-00)

Before adding tougher springs (which will rob power) I would check that theres no friction when you manipulate the flippers by hand.

I also find that changing sleeves and cleaning the plungers every 1000 games or so helps a lot. I actually had to do a full rebuild around 3000 games; this game seems to wear them quicker.

#21307 2 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

It was getting stuck up. It also bounces on a dead flip (which makes them pretty much impossible) it seems to move alignment. And lastly, and maybe most alarming is it seems sluggish. Not as snappy as the right flipper.
Played some this afternoon and only noticed the bouncey- ness. Everything else seemed fine.

EOS switch working as it should?

#21335 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

What’s this do? Reduces the amount of multiballs, especially the sporadic rando ones. This will increase difficulty of the game, especially pyro and crowd multiball.

There is no such thing as a "sporadic rando" multiball.

They all start for specific reasons:

Lights: Hits to lights target
Pyro: Hits to pyro target/sling
Amp: Spelling AMP in the inlane
Crowd: Skill shots / under flipper shots

When you understand why these things happen and in fact work to make them happen intentionally, you'll enjoy the game.

Please stop this narrative of "constant random multiball."

#21337 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

That’s what you got out of all that?

I'm glad you found settings that you enjoy more. That's what they are for!

2 weeks later
#21557 1 year ago
Quoted from mostater:

What flipper alignment do people have on their machines? This is how mine came. They seem a bit high to me but maybe they are meant to be??
[quoted image]

Same calibration approach for all pins, for me. Straight edge (ruler or similar) from the ball guide to the flipper rubber.

#21603 1 year ago
Quoted from Freddykaboodle:

Hey guys, without trolling through 21598 posts. Can anyone tell me how you stop having to enter your name after every bloody game? Regards in advance.

Turn off daily high scores. You'll fill up the main high score table quickly and it will be less frequent.

#21617 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Put those titans on when they arrived and 1000+ plays later they still are fine.

This I love to see! Someone that plays their game.

#21666 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

My headphone adapter has been shit since day 1; I can’t get any volume out of it and anything that comes out is distorted. My dealer says that’s JJP staple with their headsets and hear others have the same problem so I never pursued it and just have my household listen to me play the game with the external sub lol.
But, this makes me wonder if I should have pursued a tech case with JJP? I’m probably out of warranty now (1 1/2 years owner) but any thoughts on this or if there’s a fix I’ll give it a shot.
Thanks in advance.

It might be simply plugged in wrong at the volume control. I think I've seen a few people mention that.

#21668 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You know, I think someone mentioned that months (years?) ago in this trend and I was going to check mine for that. My problem is my tech skills range from good to lazy haha; Thanks for the reminder! I’ll take a look next time I get the chance

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 7.06.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-24 at 7.06.06 PM.png
#21670 1 year ago

Sounds something went wrong.

If the PC supply in the head died, you replace that with something off the shelf.

Not sure what the supply in the cabinet is.

1 week later
#21740 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So maybe Butch worked with someone on the prior manuals that's still there carrying on as best they can? Because before Butch was unceremoniously canned by JJP, your manuals were objectively the BEST in all of pinball by a country mile. Post Butch, the GnR manual is unfinished still, 18 months later, and a significant step down in quality from the jjPotC one in parts detail. As a result the GnR manual as it stands is ~40% smaller than the jjPotC manual (222 pages vs jjPotC's 359). The omitted content is missed as a reference for end users.
For example, this is the entirety of the above playfield assemblies drawing section for the GnR manual:
[quoted image]
And here's just the first two detailed pages from that section in the jjPotC manual (there's a very detailed one for below, too):
[quoted image]

Agree 100%. For the longest time the GNR manual didn't even list the rubbers.

BTW I find the Wonka manual to be just as good as POTC.

#21743 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Wonka is almost 300 pages and has sections and detail still missing from GnR's manual. Was that the last manual Butch did, or worked on? It's looks very butch-ish.

I don't know for sure but I expect so, he was still with the company when the game shipped.

#21747 1 year ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Hell, I'd pay for a high quality paper manual. Having to look pinball manuals up online SUCKS! End of story. Hear me JJP? Take my money, give me a nice paper manual. Please.

Interesting. I've never cracked open my POTC manual. I use the PDFs exclusively.

#21758 1 year ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Is there a way to unlock the 5 album without collecting all the patches in the game? Just wonder if you could do it in the settings?

Huh? There is no fifth album.

If you want to unlock patience it's only one patch.

#21760 1 year ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Oh okay gotcha, I thought there was more songs besides patience. Does it matter what patch?

Pretty sure it's the "Lies" patch.

1 week later
#21812 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I'm finally getting OK , at the under the Flipper make some noise shot .
Some people have said there are no satisfying shots on this game , maybe I'm just easily satisfied

Lifehack: cradle two balls on the right flipper and you can slap it in.

edit: pinballs, I mean

#21814 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Thanks for the tip , I'll try to remember that , but a lot of the time I have one ball floating around and if you want to try to max out the song you have to go for the risky shot and if it pays off , it feels so good

The same trick also works for the Wonka factory target (add-a-ball shot)

#21816 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

Which songs/mode cause the spotlights to move around?

All songs, and Throw The Lights MB.

#21818 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

Weird I am not seeing them move that often. In system test for the spotlights they both work just fine. Maybe I am just staring too hard at the ball trying to not lose it, lol.

The servos tend to get intermittent before they get dead. Stock up on EMAX replacements!

#21820 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

My game is brand new. Less than 20 plays so far. Can you link me to the EMAX replacements?

Well then, I doubt they are dead yet. Search the thread for EMAX, it's been discussed.

#21833 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

1. Have to claim every game, I think, aka "reconnect"

I like Scorbit a lot, but this is probably the one feature that keeps me from using it every play session.
I really wish it would retain the slot assignments until manually cleared or after some kind of a timeout, like Stern Connected does.

You only have to mess your phone once, and then you play for a good long time.

#21838 1 year ago
Quoted from jsa:

Either way, the solution, Hog Mode, is coming soon, as it doesn't require you claim each game.

OINK OINK! This piggy is ready!

#21840 1 year ago
Quoted from jsa:

Hopefully people can take the joke... Though no one likes a game hog!

Hey I bought the thing, I reserve the right to hog it

#21852 1 year ago
Quoted from woodmedic:

The up and down servo just failed on my left spotlight. I went ahead and ordered a 4 pack of the emax servos. I already have the linkage upgrade kit on hand. How difficult is it to replace the servos and linkage on these?

Easy, just make sure the servos are centered when you screw them in. (Plug into game, boot to attract mode, turn it off)

#21854 1 year ago
Quoted from Don44:

I just picked up a GNR a couple of days ago and when I start a game it auto plunges after a few seconds. Any ideas?

Stuck switch somewhere? Check switch test.

#21862 1 year ago

Also, last night I almost beat my grand champion score. Both games, ( the jackpot mishap, and the near GC game) occurred after installing the Pin Monk fan cooling kit and bumping up the flipper power a few notches. The flippers play nice and snappy now. More similar to some of my Bally Williams titles. I swear it's an instant improvement on my gameplay. There's my shameless plug for Pin Monk, LOL.

They really do make a huge difference on Guns.

2 weeks later
#22116 1 year ago
Quoted from GoinPostal:

I've had LE for 11 months now and it has never worked correctly.

What, specifically, does this mean? What is not working correctly?
Lots of us in here happy to help troubleshoot, sometimes the problems are known or have easy fixes.

#22140 1 year ago
Quoted from GoinPostal:

Thanks,
My number 1 problem is the guitar neck, proximity sensors and the eject coil. After doing full sensor calibration, they'll start flickering almost immediately. I work with proximity sensors all day every day, they're not that complicated. Unfortunately these don't have potentiometers. All calibration is software, nothing I can work with. The neck eject coil fires 100% at end of song, ball, game, but during song with the drumroll sound effect it will fire maybe 10% (at best)of the time.
Side note, I think Texas has more pinheads than Chicago, thanks!

Have you tried cleaning underneath the playfield where the sensors are? I remember someone mentioning that some swarth from the manufacturing process can collect under there and cause false positives.

Also, are you sure it's the sensors that are misfiring? (There are switch logs you can use to troubleshoot which one is behaving.)

#22163 1 year ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

There’s also bugs when making changes to some of the settings. Can’t remember which ones but I played with some and it caused unrelated consequences.
I’d also like him to “calm down” the spotlights during the encore into. They go crazy and I cringe everyone it happens as I’m sure it adds stress to the fragile servos

Those servos aren't that fragile, once upgraded. I haven't had a failure since doing it, TBH.

Remember these things are remote control servos, used for steering cars, planes, drones and so on.
They get a lot more "abuse" in those environments than moving around in the pin.

#22165 1 year ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

They are quite fragile. I’ve replaced many times including an Emax

Huh. Well, that's annoying. On the plus side you're probably good at hot swapping them by now

At least they are cheap.

#22181 1 year ago
Quoted from 67cutlass:

New Gun N' Roses SE owner here. First JJP game. Just traded last night. So far I'm really impressed with the game. Couple of newbie questions here.
1) What is the best place to get a shaker motor for this game? Does it add a lot to game play?

Absolutely it does. The shaker use in Guns is some of the best.

http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Accessories/Shaker-Motor-Assy-fits-all-JJP-Games.html

Quoted from 67cutlass:

2) I had to take off the glass yesterday, taking off the lockbar went smoothly, but it seems like locking it is causing me issues. Seems like it should be straight forward, pull the handle sideway, make sure the lockbar is completely seated and let go of the handle. Doesn't seem to move much when I let go of the handle. I even try pushing slightly. It seems like lock a little bit, but if I wiggle the lockbar, I can get it to come off. Any ideas?

The two brass screws on the lockbar receiver can be adjusted to make it a little looser.

#22196 1 year ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

I've often wondered this. I'm not sure I want a shaker in my SE. I don't know how it would integrate. At what points in the game?

Trust me you want it.

Some songs it's like a crowd stomping along with Paradise City.
Some songs it's used like a subwoofer.

It absolutely completes the experience. But then, so does the upper playfield so you might just upgrade to a nice LE and call it done all around

#22203 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

In fact, unless I'm having some amazing ass game, I dont bother even logging into scorebit.

Same. I'm looking forward to the proposed "hog mode" which will retain the player slots between games.

#22211 1 year ago
Quoted from bdp5:

Still have to interact with the phone between every match though, right? I am trying to avoid that and still remained logged in.

scorbit ^^

It's not just me - I realize on location "sticky" scorbit assignments might be a problem, but in a home environment it's a must.

1 week later
#22304 1 year ago
Quoted from dschulpius:

Hi all. I have a question. I've got a GNR LE. Love it. While reading the differences between the Standard and the LE versions on JJP's website they feature and say that the LE has a "Gibson Headstock Upper Playfield with 6 Ball Lock". It looks like the Standard version has this also. If so what's the difference?

No, the standard does not have an upper playfield.

#22334 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I read that Toy Story seems to have 'snappier' flippers due to software coding. Can we have this rolled out to GnR too?

It hasn't been revealed that it's solely software, is the thing.

Consider a flipper as 3 different systems:

- The physical mech itself (which has not changed, and in fact is like williams mechs)
- The driver board which channels power to the coil in the mech
- The software that tells the driver board what to do

We know it's not the mech. If it's software only, then yes this could in theory be rolled out to all games which would be great. But if it also requires a change to the driver board, we're not gonna get that.

#22360 1 year ago
Quoted from Blu:

Follow the below steps…
1. Select fender patch
2. Plunge for skill shot
3. Hit drum ramp or spinner to the left of scoop depending on flipper
4. Lock all the balls you can, which will probably result in light multi
5. Keep hitting ramps (you’ll probably get the patch here, and end up getting both keyboards)
6. Back down to 1 ball? Go after whatever band member is missing
7. Got every band member? Lock balls till you get six which will automatically start the song
8. Hit lit shots, and scoop when green. Dump the ball in the pops when you hear the band frenzy call out
9. Is jackpot above 2 million, and the scoop is green. Drain down to 1 ball and hit the scoop
10. Cash out
GnR is all about pushing your luck. Cash out when you are happy with the jackpot.
Once you can do 1-10 above, focus on the other pieces. Build the score boost by completing all 4 multiballs before starting the song. Complete other beneficial patches before going into the song. Keep the song going and get applause jackpot. Always dump the balls in the pops during band frenzy. Lock balls during the song to get a ball added and allow you to make the shots you need easier.
You’ll get to the point where 20 mil, 60 mil, 100 mil aren’t even considered good games. Happy flipping

Finally a post from someone who actually understands the game! Well said.

#22369 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Yep I can do all those things except keep the balls in play during a song. Can't cradle during a song so it's just a flail fest until the ball saver runs out in which I then lose all the balls and get nothing to show for it

If you ever find yourself in a flail fest rethink strategy.

With specific regard to GNR:

- Pre-Song: Cradle balls and make your shots with the other flipper
- In-Song: Stash as many balls up on the neck as possible to clean up the playfield. This has the benefit of keeping them safe for a while, and also the possibility of a power chord.

#22373 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaygee77:

What's the SE version of the in-song strategy? Anyone?

Upgrade

#22377 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I haven't even broken half a million on Civil War , prick of a song

That one is difficult for me as well.

#22381 1 year ago
Quoted from Xier:

Does anybody know what the difference between the JJP coil 23-100000-00 used by the Axl magnet, and 23-000003-00 used by the Knocker/Slingshots/Etc is?
They are both AE-23-800, but Marco doesn't sell the 23-100000-00 variant.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/AE-23-800
Thanks!
[quoted image][quoted image]

The difference is the thermal cutoff switch wrapped into it. My switch failed and I just removed it, been running without one since without problems.

Probably not adviseable, but ya know. It's what I did.

#22383 1 year ago
Quoted from Xier:

Thanks. Yeah, the game actually flows pretty nicely without Axl grabbing your ball every loop...

I actually like it happening like it's designed to - but it does grab it less as the game progresses.

#22391 1 year ago
Quoted from reddogg:

Hey all, I've got a question about the in-game rules. I've been watching some vids on how other people are playing, and I've got some questions about the following youtube video:
Questions:
1. @ approx. 11:45 a traveling shot is hit, and it lights up Slash solid as the final band member. So, I think I have this one figured out. The city that lights is the one where Slash is "found". Does anyone know all of the cities for all of the members to be unlocked by traveling?

I don't believe these two things are related. Each time you hit a travel shot, more lights on the world map playfield light up, and the city changes.

AFAIK band collects are done by making band member shots, period. Slash was collected due to me hitting the record spinner, but it appears the collection was deferred until the multiball ended.

Unknown mystery around the antlers that were received as a travel award.

Quoted from reddogg:

2. @ approx. 16:54 the record is hit and it spins, and you hear "band member advanced", but no band members go solid. What am I missing here?

I believe progress was made against Slash, but not enough spins to collect him.

Quoted from reddogg:

3. @ approx. 21:30 Slash and Duff go solid on the COMA drain. Why?

As you drain the game seems to spot you a few chars each time such that by ball 3, you're almost certain to get a song. Pretty sure this behavior tapers off after the first song or two.

Quoted from reddogg:

4. @ approx. 40:31 Duff is lit solid for no reason when the ball goes thru Richard's spinner and into the drums (pop bumpers). Again, why?

I reviewed this several times and I am also confused; I don't think Duff should have been qualified from that shot. Perhaps this too is "easy mode quick advancement" logic to get people to their first song?

#22400 1 year ago
Quoted from greeneye:

Who is that guy? He sucks

Can confirm

#22406 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

you're going to be flatline objective imo so I'm curious how the controversial TS4 CE is fitting into your collection?

I probably have 50-60 plays against the TS4 LE on location near me at this point.
I do think the game is fun to play and (as usual) has taken a lot of shit over stupid things that don't matter, at least not to me.

I've actually stopped playing it because I want to save some discovery for my own machine.

I am in on a CE... I've paid my non-refundable deposit.
We have had such a great experience with Wonka that the next Lawlor/Katz collab was a no brainer at the time.

That said, being perfectly honest and transparent here, if I wasn't committed on the CE, I would probably buy one of the used LEs that are barely touched and save around 1K off MSRP.

My reasons:

- Low Difficulty: I have serious concerns that we will play it, beat it in a few months (or weeks), and turn it back around. I'm generally ok with rent-a-pin as a thing, we've done it before with RM and JP. But my hope going into a Lawlor/Katz game is long-term replayability (with big rewards as you improve) like Wonka.

- Price: The game is just priced too high. Unless the game resonates as bolted for us, I will have to sell it when we're done and given the current LE market I am guaranteed a substantial loss on the CE. I don't mind losing *some* money on pins when I move them on, but this one might hurt.

- Delay: It irks me a lot to sit on the sidelines while everyone else enjoys their LE games. I feel punished for buying the top tier. At these new price points I might move back down to LEs going forward.

#22418 1 year ago
Quoted from AvidPinPlayer:

I'll be clear and straight with you. I had a LE on order and began to experience some doubts because of all the negative comments I was reading in the forum. I took delivery and I'm SO glad I did not change my mind. TS4 is a beautiful game. The light show is the best I've seen and the more I play it, the more I get to like it. It is a superb pin and don't let the negative criticism bias your opinion of this pin. I do agree that the price tag is high, and thus it is the genesis of the negative comments, but ... not withstanding it is a fun pin.

I never listen to podcasters or the Pinside hive mind when forming an opinion on a game; too many people are haters or don't learn the rules before shitting all over $newgame.

I agree with you, it IS a fun pin.

It's really about the cost and the long term value for me. Wonka CE was easily worth it and one we still continue to play on the daily.

I am not sure TS4 will have that kind of lasting power though I definitely think we will enjoy it for a time.

I really think I am going to stop buying CEs unless it's a dream theme for me, the prices have just gotten too high.

#22422 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I do. I value some podcasters' thoughts, Zach M. and Kaneda and particular. I think they make a lot of strong points, and consider their perspective when forming an opinion.

Nobody's opinion matters but yours after playing the game.

Don't be so easily led.

1 week later
#22518 1 year ago
Quoted from hammet:

Are any of you guys able to hit the left ramp from the left flipper enough to get to the upper play field? My shot just makes it to the field but doesn't have enough juice to make it to the upper flipper for the ball lock. I'm debating whether to up the power on the left flipper but ... is that kinda cheating? New to pinball at home.... this is my first game and haven't played since the previous century. (though nailed 5.9M today woot!).
Have over 200+ games on it now... fixed the spinner record (the guts dropped down) and the ball hanging on the right bottom bumper with help from this forum... so thanks a million already!

+2 to lower flipper power and add pinmonk's fans.

#22531 1 year ago

Could be a bad servo, or broken servo linkage. It's a common issue on this game.

Yeah but the right spot definitely moves less than the left one, which appears to be by design.

#22547 1 year ago

I will never understand putting drums on top of the drums.

#22562 1 year ago
Quoted from PunishersLEMC:

I freakin enjoy the hell out of mine also!! Debating selling or trading my SE towards an LE or CE ?? Thoughts

The upper playfield is everything.

#22564 1 year ago
Quoted from PunishersLEMC:

I have been told the SE plays faster and better and is more limited in production as they made less? I have not played the LE

It is a completely different beast.

Shooting balls onto the upper playfield and locking them on the neck is a huge part of the game.
The standard is designed for low cost. More limited does not mean better or more valuable.

#22605 1 year ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Gotta disagree with you homie.
I have one of those few se's and it's faster, smoother, and a better experience than both of the LE's locally owned.
I get what you're saying, but it really isn't better. Or more "experience". In fact, it causes a lot more problems.
But to each their own.

"My Honda Civic si is basically as good as a Corvette"

I mean if you like your machine, that's great! I'm happy for you. But don't try and convince the rest of us the low-cost model is the "best."

#22641 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I've got a left spotlight with 2 emax servos and the compete upgraded assembly kit from pu-parts. One of the stock servos in the left failed so I swapped both servos and the kit while I was in there.
I've got a right Spotlight completely stock. Over 1000 games in 10 months (November2021). Plenty of encores with the spots going berserk.. No issues yet.

I've replaced both servos on the left spot twice so far...nothing on the right, still stock. Weird how that one seems to last longer.

#22648 1 year ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Anyone planning on doing a play field swap on their CE? =)

I was thinking about it. Kinda torn.

On one hand, having the spare on ice means you can just beat the living crap out of what you've got until it's time to sell. And even then, maybe the buyer would rather do the same knowing they can refresh it when they want.

#22651 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Unless Chris Hutchins or someone reputable is doing the swap I think a lot of buyers will be turned off by a game that has an owner swapped playfield on a game like GNR. There's the potential that it won't be put back together quite right. I doubt more than a couple people will follow through on the swap. Just keep the playfield as a wall hanger.

Ok now I definitely want to do the swap.

#22653 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It looks to be similar to the complexity of a ST:TNG swap I did. HATED IT. Mine GnR PF set will stay in the box or on a wall until I absolutely need it. Swapping the PF is last option for me. I've done quite a few and they all turned out great, but ST:TNG was a terrible experience due to the crazy subways and mechs under the PF. Neither fun or funny, and that's a loss in my time-management playbook.

I hear you...I'm pretty technical and detail-oriented though. Perfectionist to a fault.

2 weeks later
#22784 1 year ago
Quoted from altan:

I started looking at the ball sneaking back to the plunger. This forum as suggested adding 2 little washers will fix the problem. I wanted to understand what was happening a bit deeper. The ball gate appears to be low enough, yet the ball is sneaking though.
I did a 120 fps video of the ball sneaking back. You can see it here.

Textually, here's what happens
1. The plunge looks fine. Ball goes through the gate and the gate closes 100%. It's very still.
2. When the ball comes back toward the gate, it hits the gate.
3. The ball bounces back a little
4. The force of the ball hitting the gate causes the gate to spring out a little
5. When timing is "right" (or wrong depending on your perspective), the ball rolls just under the gate after it springs out
6. With the gate now resting on top of the ball, gravity and the design of this area causes the ball to roll back to the plunger.
I'm going to add the washers and see what happens.
But given the insights above, I expect the washers will lower the gate enough that when step #4 above occurs, the gate doesn't lift high enough to let the ball under.
Hope someone finds this interesting. Maybe someone will find this interesting. I'm going to add a version of it to my website too (https://www.aaarpinball.com)

I'm really surprised they don't ship with washers by now. This problem was discovered early.

#22786 1 year ago
Quoted from altan:

Do people have this fixed 100%?
I thought it was fixed but I had 1 ball sneak back.

IIRC I put two washers on each lug and it made it perfect.

2 weeks later
#22878 1 year ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

I'm just looking for an answer to a 3.5mm I found dangling in the head and a blue connector that happens to carry 14v. What are they for?
Thanks
r/
Mike

Most likely the topper in both cases. At least, on a CE.

#22881 1 year ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

Found out what the 3.5mm is for. Turns out it's not extra. My soundbar isn't hooked up at all. Found the power plug hiding as well. My guess it was unhooked due to hum or noise. Ground loop isolator on the way and then I'll hook it up.
r/
Mike

Assuming we are talking CE, also makes sure the L/R cables from the soundbar speakers to the amp board are correct.

They each go to the furthest plug, not the nearest.

#22906 1 year ago
Quoted from Galvez1978:

I have the same problem, you know were is these board? i can't find it.
Thanks!!!

Follow the black USB cable and make sure it is well seated.

#22912 1 year ago
Quoted from twinturb089:

I would love to somehow turn off the over generous multiball! I hate playing the game and getting multi ball in less than a minute.

Do you know how the 4 multiballs are started?
Avoid those shots until you're ready.

The multiball whiners on this game, SMH

#22917 1 year ago
Quoted from Enron64:

I just got mine on Sunday. I have played a buddys LE a fair amount. I wonder what kind of scores the whiners are getting? I feel the multiballs are completely necessary to blow up the score and get those big applause jackpots.

Yeah.

I mean, the whole point of the game is:

- Maximize boosters (which are MuLTiBAllS), ideally stacked, and collect patches
- Play the song and execute against the "guitar hero" band member shots
- Band frenzy for great justice

#22923 1 year ago
Quoted from Enron64:

Well I don’t get the hate for this game. It’s not as magical as wonka but it’s no slouch either. Refreshingly different I would say.

I find every JJP is very different from the others, which is part of what makes them great.

#22940 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Just played my first SE on location. It was ragged out and played liked crap but I got the general feel. They even removed the skill shot and replaced the shooter and put on a firm spring to appease the masses and replicate the familiar power launch

Ugh, talk about some operator missing the point. So much for loading that CROWD meter up.

#22961 1 year ago
Quoted from atg1469:

A bit perplexed by this one, but the left guitar lock does not seem to be working properly. The game recognizes the ball in the lock, cycles through the drumroll effect but the gate never drops to release the ball until the game goes into search mode. The right side works fine and both locks fire fine in test mode. I’ve recalibrated and tested everything and all seems fine but just doesn’t function properly during gameplay. Any thoughts on what to check next?!

Does the pin drop in device test? Balls magnetized and stuck to rail?

#23025 1 year ago

I use the two-cradled-backflip to hit that shot too, and also the factory target in Wonka to get AddABall when green.

#23031 1 year ago
Quoted from Enron64:

Does anybody have a spare LE playfield they could take a pic of? I got this with the SE but if I upgrade to the LE I was going to keep it if it would work for the LE.
[quoted image]

I am pretty sure SE and LE used the same playfield. Only CE was different.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

#23040 1 year ago
Quoted from andrewket:

JJP just reached out to see if I still want a replacement/spare CE playfield and I’m torn. I put myself on the waitlist over a year ago. Maybe two?
Main Playfield = $499.00 each
Upper Playfield = $119.00 each
Total = $618.00 each set plus shipping
They have the main playfield in stock. Upper by the end of the year.
My playfield has been holding up reasonably well. I would not do a PF swap in its current state. Way too much effort. But I’m toying with the idea of storing the spare as insurance. I’ve never sold a pin with a spare PF before. Will buyers find value in that? I have no plans to sell it anytime soon. I’m curious what the collective wisdom of the forum thinks…

Think of it this way:

- It's cheaper than retail - a nice compromise by JJP
- When they are gone, they are gone - this is the one chance to do it
- Yes absolutely the ability to restore the machine to new condition brings value

#23071 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

Haven’t been in this thread for a while and not sure if this has been discussed or not.
Just curious, are a lot of you buying the back up playfield?
Thanks.

Yes. They reached out and only had the CE main, they offered to sell that now or wait until both are in stock and ship both which is what I decided.

#23080 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

I stopped over yesterday to pick mine up, they had both.

I'm guessing the CE is the one with the wait.

1 week later
#23218 1 year ago

This is probably the best playfield art JJP has done to date. Even came with the mylar sheet.

IMG_0691.jpegIMG_0691.jpeg
#23226 1 year ago
Quoted from radfordian3505:

After 3 days and about 100 plays on this game. I will never understand the criticism this game gets. This thing is a fucking masterpiece in so many ways. The booster multiballs help you once you start a song and if they are too much they can easily be turned down in the settings, but you lose all that extra help once you go on stage. Coma mode is by far my favorite of this game and is one of the most unique modes I have seen. This is definitely a keeper in my collection and by far my favorite JJP.

Short answer: most pinsiders are too dumb to understand the game.

#23292 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Other observations from a new owner. Man this thing has alot of multiballs. I keep starting them without knowing why.

Don't be Pinside. Learn why.

Lights: target on the upper playfield until LIGHTS is spelled.
Pyro: pyro target behind the hat and nearby sling until PYRO is spelled.
Crowd: skill shots and under-flipper shots until CROWD is spelled.
Amps: AMP inlane.

Each MB has a corresponding color and when active, their jackpot shots are lit in that color.
Hit them for great justice. Maximizing these "booster" multiballs sets you up for greater rewards in the songs.

#23368 1 year ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Reviews are mixed because people would rather crap on a game they don’t understand than learn it.

This.

I've yet to see a negative review from someone that actually understands the game.

#23370 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

With that said... in all fairness I've got less than 10 games on it and I don't understand the game yet.

It's actually very simple, broken into two experiences: pre-song and in-song.

======
Pre-Song
======

1. Qualify all band members by making their shots.

2. Maximize "booster" multiballs. Stack them if you can.

- Lights multiball (target on upper playfield), pink jackpot shots
- Pyro multiball (target behind slash hat and nearby sling), action bar jackpot
- Amps multiball (AMP lane), yellow jackpot shots
- Crowd multiball (skill shots and under flipper shot), blue jackpot shots

3. Collect patches. Select them with the action button, collect by lighting GNR lane. Ball drain from upper playfield lights one GNR letter.

4. Lock balls on the upper playfield. The more you lock the more you'll start the song with.

5. Bonus side quest: Hit the travel shots to light "on the road", hit the lit travel shots during On the Road to light Tour Multiball.

Side note: you can choose your song by hitting the 4 album-related standups, each time you hit it you'll get a short clip of the active song. Why choose songs this way instead of the action button? There's a song level penalty for doing it with the button.

======
In-Song
======

1. Shoot the lit shots to keep the mode going, and the scoop when green for add-a-ball.

2. It still surprises me that many people don't realize this - there is a mini "guitar hero" style game happening during songs! In the corner of the LCD note the revolver with colored dots for each band member. Near that note the active band member shot, and the next upcoming shot. You want to shoot these while active to light their dot, once all dots are lit you get Band Frenzy. These active member shots make logical sense with the songs, for example during a guitar solo you'll see the Slash shot lit, during singing parts, AXL, etc.

3. Shoot the spinner and pops during Band Frenzy to blow up the score.

That's the gist of the game. There's a lot of strategy to explore, particularly with patches. For example I like to get Fender and all of the "spot band member" patches, making Band Frenzy easier and faster to start in the song.

#23373 1 year ago
Quoted from dug:

That’s a great quick summary.
Thanks for posting.

I hope it helps! There's a pretty good game here for folks who get past ToO mAnY MuLTIbAllS.

#23377 1 year ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

I don't like the LE as much as the SE. Too many things break too often. Too many things don't work too often. And it's cumbersome to me compared to the SE. The SE has much better flow and speed. The LE has an entire new set of Power chord and Ball locks, but in all honesty the complete pain in the ass all the extra components are make it not worth it.
So I would say the LE is a negative rating from me compared to the SE.

lol

#23407 1 year ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

It's true tho.
If you prefer clunky shooting, flow interrupting games that break a lot then the LE is exactly what you want. Not saying its horrible, I mean it is GNR....
If you want to not worry about it breaking and get some actual flow and smoothness going then the SE is the way to go.
Up to you and your preference.

You really need to stop shitting on the LE. I’m glad you like your SE but the rest of us are rolling our eyes at you.

#23429 1 year ago
Quoted from king_pin:

Joined the club today! An LE born March 2022!
[quoted image]

Congrats, you will really enjoy it! There's a lotta game there.

1 year later
#27346 3 months ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

The problem is JJP has been going a lighter on their machines as of late.

Lighter on the machines, heavier on the price. Bad combination.

#27426 89 days ago

This video needs to be stickied in every JJP thread

#27438 88 days ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Is there a way to adjust how the ball leaves shooter lane. Almost every ball goes down the middle of the flippers. I tried bending that metal
Plate. Some times if you do a hard plung the ball goes back to the shooter rod. Can I add 2 washer to lower that gate?

Washers is how I lowered the gate and corrected the behavior.

#27472 86 days ago
Quoted from riggy469:

Is there a list of caps to upgrade and what to upgrade to?

Just get the board, eyeballing them side by side there's a lot more to it than just the caps IMO.

#27487 84 days ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

I am confused by the radio silence, what should have been a victory lap for JJP..
The flippers are now terrific with the new board... If only they would update the code.... GNR prices would stabilize.. If they released a competitor to Insider Connect... another home run.
If the prices stabilize people would be more willing to buy NIB. It should be priority to release new code.
I would hope patience would pay off...but its coming up on 4 years since released...

If JJP said anything about it, entitled whiners like smalltownguy2 would come out of the woodwork demand a free upgrade, and the labor done at their house.

#27533 78 days ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

Question for you guys who have dealt with spotlight issues. I had one working original spotlight servo. Instead of swapping servos I went and ordered a whole left and right spotlight assembly from JJP. They were 100$ a piece. I installed them this morning and went into test mode and nobody moves. All 4 new servos do nothing! So I test the one original working servo in all 4 spot and it works fine in all 4 plugs. I plug the new servos back in, enter test mode and still nobody moves! WTF! Then as the game is sitting in test mode of the spotlights, the top left servo starts smoking! That's not good! What the heck am I doing wrong? Anyone have some guidance? These spotlights are what sold me on the game....yet they never work!

Replace the servos with higher quality ones from a hobby shop.

#27539 78 days ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

Got a link? If it's to the white "H-KING HK15148B" those are the ones JJP just sent.

The Hobby King servos are the ones that suck.

This is the product I used.

IMG_2969 (resized).jpegIMG_2969 (resized).jpeg
#27552 77 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Can anyone recommend a servo tester to help "center" the servo before installation?

Plug it in and power up the game, it will center by the time it hits attract mode.

#27608 71 days ago
Quoted from Wzpin:

Had a perfectly working GNR CE this weekend - went to play tonight, and get low hum and nothing on the screen...red lights on board...any ideas on how to troubleshoot - I checked for any loose cables, etc...
Appreciate any help![quoted image][quoted image]

Search the thread or youtube for JJP jump start.

#27624 68 days ago
Quoted from Silkenone:

Collect all the band members as shown on the screen, then you can start a song.
Lock balls in the guitar neck first, if you like, to increase the number of balls in the song.
Increase the value of the song, if you like, with the booster 2-ball multiballs.
Play the song for a couple of minutes to unlock the mode of the album that song is from.
Collect four albums, play Slash Solo and Tour Multiball to get to the final wizard mode.
Optional: Choose which patches to collect
in the outlane or upper pf to boost scores/make modes easier etc.
Hope that helps. I mean, yes, it could use some tweaks but it’s hardly a mess is it?

You left off the "guitar hero" style game during songs!

During a song:
- Each band member's shots are lit up during their portion of the song
- Shoot each band member to light the colored dots in the revolver on the LCD
- When you've got them all, Band Frenzy starts - spam the spinner and pops for great justice.

#27640 65 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It’s a brand new game with the board update fellas!
There’s no shortage of GNR because of what it was initially. JJP sold a ton of GNR.
Now, it’s what it should have been from day one.
Insanely phenomenal rock pin.
Just hooked up 12” Klipsch sub along with pin woofers.
Wow. Just wow. Can’t be any happier. Blowing this thing up now.

GNR had the worst heat-related fade of any game, for me. Is it completely gone now?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Boston, MA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 210.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

7,500 (OBO)
$ 11,000.00
8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

11,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dracut, MA
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

685 posts in this topic match your search for posts by zaphx. You are on page 3 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/3?tu=zaphx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.