IMG_2676.gif
IMG_0960 (resized).jpeg
image1 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
GnRAllenWrenchMod (resized).jpg
200w.gif
IMG_2222 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 28,410 posts in this topic. You are on page 376 of 569.
#18751 2 years ago

Any suggestions on how to prevent the ball from getting stuck at the top of the bass guitar rails? If there's not enough momentum from the VUK, the ball won't make it up onto one of the three metal lanes. I don't see anyway to make the rails more flush with the wood pf and I don't think the entire upper pf angle can be changed, so I'm at a loss on how to fix this?

#18752 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Any suggestions on how to prevent the ball from getting stuck at the top of the bass guitar rails? If there's not enough momentum from the VUK, the ball won't make it up onto one of the three metal lanes. I don't see anyway to make the rails more flush with the wood pf and I don't think the entire upper pf angle can be changed, so I'm at a loss on how to fix this?

Only thing that comes to mind is playfield angle needs to be steeper.

#18753 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Maybe increase coil strength in settings?

#18754 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Maybe increase coil strength in settings?

I'll give that a try.

My pf incline is approximately 6.8 degrees which is normal. I'm surprised nobody else is having this issue, makes me wonder what's different about my setup?

#18755 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I'll give that a try.
My pf incline is approximately 6.8 degrees which is normal. I'm surprised nobody else is having this issue, makes me wonder what's different about my setup?

Mine barely makes it over the left side but it always makes it. I keep expecting it to hang but it doesn’t.

#18756 2 years ago

Have you done anything to the upper play field to change it? Remove it? Cliffies?

I remember reading the install directions of cliffy's stated to make sure the wires were routed correctly .. Maybe something is blocking the path upward?

#18757 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Have you done anything to the upper play field to change it? Remove it? Cliffies?
I remember reading the install directions of cliffy's stated to make sure the wires were routed correctly .. Maybe something is blocking the path upward?

I did remove the upper pf to add post washers, but I was careful to make sure the wire form rails where seated correctly when I reinstalled the pf. Even from day one (before I removed the pf) the ball would just barely make it up onto the rails and I was concerned about the ball getting stuck. It's happened maybe a half dozen times over the past couple months, but still annoying. Otherwise playing rock solid! Super fun!

#18758 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I did remove the upper pf to add post washers, but I was careful to make sure the wire form rails where seated correctly when I reinstalled the pf. Even from day one (before I removed the pf) the ball would just barely make it up onto the rails and I was concerned about the ball getting stuck. It's happened maybe a half dozen times over the past couple months, but still annoying. Otherwise playing rock solid! Super fun!

Maybe LTG has some insight as to what could be the cause of a weak VUK

#18759 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Maybe LTG has some insight as to what could be the cause of a weak VUK

Gut feeling a weak or poor solder joint at the coil or others on the way to the I/O board. Be sure connectors along the way and at the I/O board are on tight.

I had a weak flipper on Hobbit. Drove me nuts. Had voltage. Discovered a wire at another coil hanging by a thread. Good enough for voltage check, not enough for power for a strong flip.

Also be sure the plunger on the VUK isn't riding too low in the coil. If it is you don't get a full WHACK.

LTG : )

#18760 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Gut feeling a weak or poor solder joint at the coil or others on the way to the I/O board. Be sure connectors along the way and at the I/O board are on tight.
I had a weak flipper on Hobbit. Drove me nuts. Had voltage. Discovered a wire at another coil hanging by a thread. Good enough for voltage check, not enough for power for a strong flip.
Also be sure the plunger on the VUK isn't riding too low in the coil. If it is you don't get a full WHACK.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the VUK coil strength, it kicks the ball up to the bass guitar pf just fine. I was just thinking that increasing the coil strength might give the ball more momentum to get up onto the rails.

#18761 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the VUK coil strength, it kicks the ball up to the bass guitar pf just fine. I was just thinking that increasing the coil strength might give the ball more momentum to get up onto the rails.

I have the exact same problem...and so does a pinball buddy here who also has GNR.
20211224_163923 (resized).jpg20211224_163923 (resized).jpg

#18762 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Are the little redirection pointers at the beginning too tight and robbing the ball of momentum? Mine was that way on the far right one initially. Wouldn't make it over the little hump.

Works fine now. Maybe see if those are moving freely on yours?

#18763 2 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

I have the exact same problem...and so does a pinball buddy here who also has GNR.
[quoted image]

What's your playfield pitch?

#18764 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Had to bend down the middle two fingers of upper field on mine. If you take it out and set on a table you'll see

#18765 2 years ago

Meant to say, I pulled ramp off and the middle 2 fingers on upper end of ramp were high.

#18766 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Are the little redirection pointers at the beginning too tight and robbing the ball of momentum? Mine was that way on the far right one initially. Wouldn't make it over the little hump.
Works fine now. Maybe see if those are moving freely on yours?

I loosened the three redirectors a bit and that seems to have helped - thanks for the suggestion PinMonk! The far right lane is still a bit iffy but the ball does make if over consistently in my testing. I guess time will tell. Thanks all!

#18767 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Had to bend down the middle two fingers of upper field on mine. If you take it out and set on a table you'll see

I might be able to bend the part of the rail that hooks under the pf and remove maybe a mm or two of gap between the rail and pf. Even that small amount could help, thanks.

#18768 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I loosened the three redirectors a bit and that seems to have helped - thanks for the suggestion PinMonk! The far right lane is still a bit iffy but the ball does make if over consistently in my testing. I guess time will tell. Thanks all!

Glad that helped. Is your playfield pitch steep enough?

#18769 2 years ago

Hi had my GnR three or four weeks, flippers and ball launch gone dead on me tonight, checkedfuse 705 all good,any help please. ??

#18770 2 years ago
Quoted from Wanderers:

Hi had my GnR three or four weeks, flippers and ball launch gone dead on me tonight, checkedfuse 705 all good,any help please. ??

High power interlock - all wires on it ? If coin door is open and you pull it out do they work ? ( in case flap on door is bent )

Moving on - Back box. Please open it up, swing monitor out, with game turned on and high power intoerlock pulled out, are all the LEDs lit by the fuses on the I/O board ?

#18771 2 years ago

F701 good ?

#18772 2 years ago
Quoted from Wanderers:

F705 just controls those items specific coils, but F701 is above F704, F705, F706.

Does your upper right flipper work? If not, you likely blew F701.
gnr-coils (resized).jpggnr-coils (resized).jpg

If you replace the fuses and they blow again, you likely have a shorted coil. Start with the magnet, diverter next and on from there until you find the one with the short.

#18773 2 years ago

Got another funny quote in GnR today. Was really sucking and I think it was Duff that said "That was worse than St. Louis." Cracked me up.

#18774 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Glad that helped. Is your playfield pitch steep enough?

My pitch is 6.8 degrees which is pretty typical.

#18775 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

High power interlock - all wires on it ? If coin door is open and you pull it out do they work ? ( in case flap on door is bent )
Moving on - Back box. Please open it up, swing monitor out, with game turned on and high power intoerlock pulled out, are all the LEDs lit by the fuses on the I/O board ?

Please can you advise which is the high power interlock ? I will also check f701 fuse.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#18776 2 years ago
Quoted from Wanderers:

Please can you advise which is the high power interlock ? I will also check f701 fuse.

It's the white block on the inside of the coin door frame on the left.

#18777 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

F701 good ?

Great Thankyou for taking the time to help me. It was Fuse F701, just wonder why ?

#18779 2 years ago
Quoted from Wanderers:

Great Thankyou for taking the time to help me. It was Fuse F701, just wonder why ?

You are fortunate to not have a smoking coil.
If it pops again carefully check coils for one that may have heat stress.
Fuses can fatigue and fail for no apparent reason.
Always best practice to install correct rated replacement fuse.

#18780 2 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

You are fortunate to not have a smoking coil.
If it pops again carefully check coils for one that may have heat stress.
Fuses can fatigue and fail for no apparent reason.
Always best practice to install correct rated replacement fuse.

JJP flipper coils can get very hot. I've measured the upper right peaking at 249F with the other coils getting to the 200F area over time. As they get hotter, the resistance increases, which causes more power draw, so it could also have been that these were played long at high temps and finally pulled enough power to pop the "supervisor" fuse because it's protecting all the coils. So not enough draw to pop F704,F705, F706 individually, but if F705 and F706 are drawing hard because of increased resistance due to heat, the combined draw of those two sets of coils due to increased heat/resistance may have been too much for F701.

Not saying that's what happened in this case because I don't know how long it was played before popping, but that's a scenario that would cause the F701 "supervisor" fuse to blow without F705 and F706 blowing even though they're closer to the coils.

#18781 2 years ago

I didn't order them, so not sure if they're too thick. They're supposed to be exact replacements for the standard B/W square blue rubber.

Only noticed they were part of the Titan inventory that others couldn't find on the Titan website. They're not as cheap though.

#18782 2 years ago
Quoted from Wanderers:

just wonder why ?

Crap happens.

If it keeps happening a lot, then dig deeper.

#18783 2 years ago
Quoted from Wanderers:

Please can you advise which is the high power interlock ?

Different game. Same principle. The top fat white switch circled in red.

A flap on the coin door pushes it closed. Or with coin door open you can pull it out to tuen on high power for testing.

AFMRdoorinside (resized).JPGAFMRdoorinside (resized).JPG
#18784 2 years ago

Who says Album modes aren’t worth anything. 63mil DD!

Had a real chance to blow the game up to before tilting a 40mil paradise city song lol.

06EBA9F6-9FC1-4A0F-AD14-A2B69F7704C5 (resized).jpeg06EBA9F6-9FC1-4A0F-AD14-A2B69F7704C5 (resized).jpeg
#18785 2 years ago

A great game! I just recently got mine.

BUT, I feel that the rubbers are really bad quality. After about 150 games the 1 1/2 rubber ring that sits above the left outlane snapped. Also both sling shot rings are really worn and about to break. Isn´t that WAY ahead of time?
I also feel that the balls are being beaten a lot too. I guess it´s to many metal that dents the balls?

I have bought this game to route it, but am I going to have to change the rubbers every week or so? :-O

#18786 2 years ago
Quoted from TerminatorNo1:

A great game!
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"a8505a358f93f5430f5145f3fc39249d18841ce7-1640544463-1800"};
//]]>

I just recently got mine.
BUT, I feel that the rubbers are really bad quality. After about 150 games the 1 1/2 rubber ring that sits above the left outlane snapped. Also both sling shot rings are really worn and about to break. Isn´t that WAY ahead of time?
I also feel that the balls are being beaten a lot too. I guess it´s to many metal that dents the balls?
I have bought this game to route it, but am I going to have to change the rubbers every week or so? :-O

I’ve had to change that rubber over the left outlane twice. Short of a bunch of flipper rubbers, that’s the only rubber I’ve had to change in the year plus I’ve had the game. 1500 plays. *knocks on wood*

#18787 2 years ago

My slingshots were gone within 50 plays. One snapped the other was hanging by a thread. Replace with the same kind and expect same results ( ie the ones jjp included) or replace with titans and mine still look great. Also replaced flipper rubber because it was recommended... But that's it so far.

#18788 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Crap happens.
If it keeps happening a lot, then dig deeper.

Ha ha Thankyou, you’ve helped me out in the past over DI, WOZ and POTC issues.
Once again Thankyou for your help. These forums really do have people e we it’s valuable knowledge.

#18789 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Had a real chance to blow the game up to before tilting a 40mil paradise city song lol.
[quoted image]

WHAT??? AWESOME!

#18790 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

[quoted image]

How?? Using some patch combination? Booster multi-ball affect scoring? I've finished the DD mode several times barely around 10 million...

#18791 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

How?? Using some patch combination? Booster multi-ball affect scoring? I've finished the DD mode several times barely around 10 million...

From memory, something along these lines…
• Patches: fender, T-shirt, poster
• Don’t cry > cashed out + Extra ball
• Airplane patch
• live and let die > encore > double talking jive (cashed out or drained)
• Use your Illusion patch + started collecting other album patches for set
• November rain. Can’t remember if I cashed out or not
• finished album set of patches. Started desert demolition. Album mode = 88 and completed it.

#18792 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

From memory, something along these lines…
• Patches: fender, T-shirt, poster
• Don’t cry > cashed out + Extra ball
• Airplane patch
• live and let die > encore > double talking jive (cashed out or drained)
• Use your Illusion patch + started collecting other album patches for set
• November rain. Can’t remember if I cashed out or not
• finished album set of patches. Started desert demolition. Album mode = 88 and completed it.

Wow. Its good to be you. I suck and will never ever ever in my lifetime achieve this... I get drain-od 1 minute into first encore song guaranteed. At least I can read about such exploits...

#18793 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I'll give that a try.

Where are you measuring the 6.8 because I've noticed considerable sag. Near the top of the PF I'm at like 7.2 and between the flippers I'm 6.5.

#18794 2 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

Wow. Its good to be you. I suck and will never ever ever in my lifetime achieve this... I get drain-od 1 minute into first encore song guaranteed. At least I can read about such exploits...

I'm with you.
Stunned by these scores and how to explain a game that lasts that long, and had that many songs plus encores... I know I don't understand the game enough yet, but aside from that...

Let's talk about THAT game flow...! 4 songs?

What is needed to get to that level? Is it just getting so good at ball control and nudges, with a little luck? Cause I'm almost all luck with an occasional situational shot working out in-between and among all the drains...

#18795 2 years ago

I think you have to block the drain outlanes and hack the system to acquire GNR letters for every bricked switch hit to the left ramp. Also auto award three patches and a locked ball and gratuitous booster max value for every SDTM drain.

#18796 2 years ago

Is there something that dictates the songs that come up? Is it my play style that ends up with me getting Chinese Democracy songs A LOT and use your Illusion and Appetite song a lot less? I had Live and Let Die come up last night and I realized I haven't seen that one in WEEKS, but one or more of Better, This I Love, and Chinese Democracy are up at least once in every game.

#18797 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Is there something that dictates the songs that come up? Is it my play style that ends up with me getting Chinese Democracy songs A LOT and use your Illusion and Appetite song a lot less? I had Live and Let Die come up last night and I realized I haven't seen that one in WEEKS, but one or more of Better, This I Love, and Chinese Democracy are up at least once in every game.

The respective album standup target toggles the songs.

#18798 2 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

The respective album standup target toggles the songs.

Ah, I knew the targets toggled the songs, but I didn't realize that SPECIFIC targets toggled songs from a specific album only. That would explain it. I use one target pretty much exclusively to change songs. At least now I know I can get off Chinese Democracy with a little more effort.

Thanks!

#18799 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ah, I knew the targets toggled the songs, but I didn't realize that SPECIFIC targets toggled songs from a specific album only. That would explain it. I use one target pretty much exclusively to change songs. At least now I know I can get off Chinese Democracy with a little more effort.
Thanks!

The start song from each album should be randomised, that way the starting song is always different when song is lit.

#18800 2 years ago

others are better but

F4C9B91C-9F95-4391-B446-4183AEF26B8B (resized).jpegF4C9B91C-9F95-4391-B446-4183AEF26B8B (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

11,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dracut, MA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 210.00
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Machine - For Sale
Danbury, CT
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 28,410 posts in this topic. You are on page 376 of 569.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/376?hl=cayenne and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.