IMG_20240413_155854 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155858 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155856 (resized).jpg
IMG_1426 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_2636.gif
IMG_2002 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 28,339 posts in this topic. You are on page 373 of 567.
#18601 2 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

I did also try some spacers between PCB and playfield to try and reduce sensitivity, did not help.

You were probably sick of experimenting, but it would be interesting to know if a piece of varying amounts of opaque plastic over the hyperactive one reduced the sensitivity if you found the right opacity.

#18603 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

A gnr letter will be awarded if the ball drains from upper pf. It doesnā€™t matter if any gnr lights are currently lit in the lane or not.

Thx. I swear I was playing tonight and not always getting letters when it drained there. I'll check it out again tomorrow.

#18604 2 years ago
Quoted from kettchxxii:

Doing some tinkering while the game is off route. . .
Feel like the machine could use a few more USB ports JJP. . .
[quoted image]

If you would like to share, I would like to know how you put the display om your big screen. We want to do that at home.

#18605 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You were probably sick of experimenting, but it would be interesting to know if a piece of varying amounts of opaque plastic over the hyperactive one reduced the sensitivity if you found the right opacity.

Nice idea Vic
Worth a try.
I should have thought to close sensor 4 with electrical tape
That may eliminate if there is some sort of freak reflection on that particular insert.
Again, interesting that others have sensor 4 trigger problems as well.

#18606 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Thx. I swear I was playing tonight and not always getting letters when it drained there. I'll check it out again tomorrow.

It doesn't happen every time (at least on my game)
You might have to hit some switches or something , I'm not too sure .

#18607 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

If you would like to share, I would like to know how you put the display om your big screen. We want to do that at home.

Pretty sure it's just a cable into one of the HDMI outlets in the back box .
I have to get a 10mm cable to do mine .

#18608 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

You probably need a HDMI splitter too.

LTG : )

#18609 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I used to be confused about that too, but remember that every flipper button you hit rotates the three inlanes. So if you have the J and the A lit up on the JAM inlane, and nothing lit up on AMP or GNR, and you right flipper the ball to the upper PF, those two letters lit up on JAM move over to light the A and the M on AMP. One more right flipper push and those letters move over to light the G and the R of GNR, and if you donā€™t hit any more flipper buttons and the ball drains from the upper PF, youā€™ve got a patch by spelling GNR.

When Iā€™m collecting patches and spamming that upper drain hole, I hit that ball up there and immediately look to the lanes to see if Iā€™ve got two lit anywhere. Same if the ball is coming down the bass wireformā€¦ if itā€™s heading to the AMP side, Iā€™m flipping to see if Iā€™ve got two letters lit in any of those three inlanes so I can move them to the AMP lane and start that multiball.

Next time youā€™re playing and you drain your first ball, before you plunge it, hit some flippers and watch how the inlane lights move when you hit the L and R flippers. Itā€™ll change your life!

#18610 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Don't believe the hype. There weren't always dimples (not that they are a problem).
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Until you remove some parts and realize they just blend in after years of use.

609e43dfe71890a6f99b7f03cc78f83e95e2a39f (resized).jpg609e43dfe71890a6f99b7f03cc78f83e95e2a39f (resized).jpg
#18611 2 years ago

Periodically, I'll start having coils start randomly firing for no reason (including in attract mode). When I go into the matrix switch test, it's easy to see why -- my optos are suddenly stroking out and going crazy, causing the related coils to start firing. Real easy fix, just have to re-calibrate the sensors. But what causes this to periodically happen?

#18612 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Thanks!

#18613 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Thanks!

#18614 2 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Skill 4 update.
As there was little point removing a row WHT/ORN or a column GRY/BRN, I had to figure out direct switch isolation.
Doesn't help my eyes are 54 years old now.
I connected my laptop to a bigger screen so I could see blown up schematic.
Found R53 22 ohm SMD VDD feed for reflective opto IR4 control (appears each IR is amplified and controlled individually)
I have removed R53 SMD to disable skill 4 effectively.
I guess I will need to live without this switch until a solution is figured out.
Again I think reflective opto gain can be controlled with code.
Looking forward to next code drop.
Why my game is super sensitive I don't know.
I did also try some spacers between PCB and playfield to try and reduce sensitivity, did not help.
Even though I have had some little electrical hiccups along the way it has been good in a way to help me understand JJP's a little better.
To me JJP GnR is always gonna be the GOAT
[quoted image][quoted image]

Great job troubleshooting. Excited to get back and have a fix for this.

Did you check for debris in the insert that could possibly trigger a false positive? And you can still earn a skill shot with opto 4 disabled just not a super. Iā€™d be okay with that.

#18615 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Sometimes the upper drain awards a single letter and other times two letters. Not sure what the conditions are for double letters but thatā€™s what Iā€™ve noticed.

#18616 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

As usual , I think you're right
I'm sure the game at my distributors had three extra HDMI outputs . I said to him you could put a line out to a big screen .
I had a look at my game and it doesn't have any spare inputs , so I think the splitter would be the way to go .

IMG_20211219_191641 (resized).jpgIMG_20211219_191641 (resized).jpg
#18617 2 years ago

Hey guys, quick Qā€¦ are the official JJP GnR side art blades supposed to ship with the actual protectors included?

Anyone have a photo please?
I got me art blades which are lovely, alas, no protectors. Just wondering if they stopped doing the protectors with the blades.

#18618 2 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Sometimes the upper drain awards a single letter and other times two letters. Not sure what the conditions are for double letters but thatā€™s what Iā€™ve noticed.

There is an opto where the ball drops down to from the upper play field. Sometimes the ball bounces high enough to double trigger the opto to collect two letters. Just luck.

#18619 2 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Hey guys, quick Qā€¦ are the official JJP GnR side art blades supposed to ship with the actual protectors included?
I got me art blades which are lovely, alas, no protectors. Just wondering if they stopped doing the protectors with the blades.

The GNR art blades I received from Little Shop of Games included the protectors in the box.

#18620 2 years ago
Quoted from RetroGamer74:

The GNR art blades I received from Little Shop of Games included the protectors in the box.

Same here.

#18621 2 years ago

Can anybody who had left ramp issues share how to improve the left ramp shot's consistency?

I have an inordinately high percentage of clunk-outs.

My success rate on that shot is like 15-20%. 99% of my shots go up to the top but will still klunk back down. I don't think it's my aim but maybe. Something seems different. The shot seemed more makeable before.

#18622 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Classic! That song is actually growing on me. Dig Slashā€™s guitar solo.

No, you donā€™t.

Slash doesnā€™t play on that track.

#18623 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Can anybody who had left ramp issues share how to improve the left ramp shot's consistency?
I have an inordinately high percentage of clunk-outs.
My success rate on that shot is like 15-20%. 99% of my shots go up to the top but will still klunk back down. I don't think it's my aim but maybe. Something seems different. The shot seemed more makeable before.

This has been happening a lot to me lately as well. I just added plastic protectors and am wondering if perhaps the left ramp needs to be adjusted some more. Thereā€™s a slight lip from the ramp to the upper playfield so Iā€™m thinking maybe if I increase the height a bit that would stop the ball from rolling back down?!

#18624 2 years ago

Had a thought today about this game and when you can have too much Guns n Roses. Is there a way of feeding into the game a separate audio feed? The only thing that would make this game even better is being able to play music other than GnR. My thoughts - mute the music feed in the menu settings, then hit play on whatever track you like via your phone or laptop. Thoughts?

Also, I know I've asked this a few times, but does anyone have any idea where "special" is? (once you have the patch?) An extra ball would be very handy when you're 3 or 4 finished album modes in.

Cheers!

#18625 2 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

No, you donā€™t.
Slash doesnā€™t play on that track.

I may need my eyes checked but this sure looks like Slash ripping a solo on "This I love".

#18626 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I may need my eyes checked but this sure looks like Slash ripping a solo on "This I love".

Live in concert yes, but not on the Chinese Democracy Album.

#18627 2 years ago

Thanks guys ref the JJP GnR official art blades.
Like an idiot, Iā€™ve badly ripped the left side blade during install when I lifted the playfield.
Itā€™s quite bad. I guess there no way I can purchase the left blade (as you look at the pin) direct from JJP or somewhere?
Nightmareā€¦ā€¦

#18628 2 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Thanks guys ref the JJP GnR official art blades.
Like an idiot, Iā€™ve badly ripped the left side blade during install when I lifted the playfield.
Itā€™s quite bad. I guess there no way I can purchase the left blade (as you look at the pin) direct from JJP or somewhere?
Nightmareā€¦ā€¦

Can you remove and cut out the damaged piece? Might not be the best but will be better than nothing

#18629 2 years ago
Quoted from Doot77:

Live in concert yes, but not on the Chinese Democracy Album.

Wild! I learned something new today. Thanks!

Apparently it was Robin Finck on lead guitar and the guitar solo for the track on the album.

#18630 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Can you remove and cut out the damaged piece? Might not be the best but will be better than nothing

I wish I could, but itā€™s damaged and creased bad in a few areas. Happened when I lifted the PF.
Iā€™ve put these on before on other pins but with help from the Mrs.
Should have waited but she was at work, silly me.
Got the right one on perfect once I realised you could balance the playfield on a JJP when fully pulled out.

#18631 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Pretty sure that video is showing Saul Hudson.

#18632 2 years ago
Quoted from deejaypee:

I used to be confused about that too, but remember that every flipper button you hit rotates the three inlanes. So if you have the J and the A lit up on the JAM inlane, and nothing lit up on AMP or GNR, and you right flipper the ball to the upper PF, those two letters lit up on JAM move over to light the A and the M on AMP. One more right flipper push and those letters move over to light the G and the R of GNR, and if you donā€™t hit any more flipper buttons and the ball drains from the upper PF, youā€™ve got a patch by spelling GNR.
When Iā€™m collecting patches and spamming that upper drain hole, I hit that ball up there and immediately look to the lanes to see if Iā€™ve got two lit anywhere. Same if the ball is coming down the bass wireformā€¦ if itā€™s heading to the AMP side, Iā€™m flipping to see if Iā€™ve got two letters lit in any of those three inlanes so I can move them to the AMP lane and start that multiball.
Next time youā€™re playing and you drain your first ball, before you plunge it, hit some flippers and watch how the inlane lights move when you hit the L and R flippers. Itā€™ll change your life!

Thanks DJ
This makes sense. I just became enlightened in this fact but was not making complete sense. You're explanation helps very much. Forgot about the jam lane. Just figured out the amp multiball. I was hitting these things often unintentionally anyway but not understanding.. now the game is slowly coming into focus allowing me to enjoy the GOAT more and more.. and I started out loving it! .. I now reach 1 million more regularly... My top 8 high scores on the pin are all 2 and 3 million, a couple 4, a 5 and my GC 6... Several 10+ million opportunities I couldn't close the deal... I can just taste it!

#18633 2 years ago

If you have seen my past machines you know I always have moditis! Just finished up modding my new GNR LE to what I like but not everyones cup ... If you enjoy modding check the pictures link as promised Now it's time to start playing it ha ha Enjoy I love this bad boy!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tk6p5ri028cagru/AAB2cRr0FefrVBUhqUQM-E_ca?dl=0

52687ED3-A7CC-4208-B6E4-2FACE1B01110 (resized).jpeg52687ED3-A7CC-4208-B6E4-2FACE1B01110 (resized).jpeg
#18634 2 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

I wish I could, but itā€™s damaged and creased bad in a few areas. Happened when I lifted the PF.
Iā€™ve put these on before on other pins but with help from the Mrs.
Should have waited but she was at work, silly me.
Got the right one on perfect once I realised you could balance the playfield on a JJP when fully pulled out.

1. Balance the playfield? What is this you speak of?

2. I put these on wet method, I couldn't imagine ever successfully doing this dry and not damaging it and never would get all the bubbles out of dry either. Disclaimer, I did snag a very small area you can't really see it or notice, pissed off, but overall I did a good job my first time. Mine did come with protectors. These are essential if you ever plan to lift the play field again.

3. Different topic... I just played double talking jive and got a decent way into the song.. never heard that song before... Totally tripped me out when it transitioned into that acoustic bit... Thought I was in a shall we play a game twilight zone thing... I drained not too long after mainly because I was in a lovely trance... Very cool experience.

#18635 2 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

If you have seen my past machines you know I always have moditis! Just finished up modding my new GNR LE to what I like but not everyones cup ... If you enjoy modding check the pictures link as promised Now it's time to start playing it ha ha Enjoy I love this bad boy!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tk6p5ri028cagru/AAB2cRr0FefrVBUhqUQM-E_ca?dl=0[quoted image]

Looks great man! I like how you did your own thing.
The brick red coin door is cool!

There's a recently started topic about mods on the LE you and other modders might like..
I listed all mine there with links. Could turn into a cool treasure trove of mods thread...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mods-for-gnr-le#post-6663855

#18636 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

1. Balance the playfield? What is this you speak of?
2. I put these on wet method, I couldn't imagine ever successfully doing this dry and not damaging it and never would get all the bubbles out dry either. Disclaimer, I did snag a very small area you can't really see it notice, pissed off but overall I did a good job my first time. Mine did come with protectors. These are essential if you ever plan to lift the play field again.
3. I just played double talking jive and got a decent way into the song.. never heard that song before... Totally tripped me out when it transitioned into that acoustic bit... Thought I was in a shall we play a game twilight zone thing... I drained not too long after mainly because I was in a lovely trance... Very cool experience.

If you pull the playfield to itā€™s most outward down position. Put you hand under the playfield from the back and lift front and back, it will balance upward off the rails. Kinda like your lifting the PF out.
I had already started from the back installing the side blade. Then proceeded to peel the backer off whilst balancing the PF. This will allow you to install the side blade with enough clearance without the PF being in the way.
I managed to do this solo but would be easier with two.
I did this after screwing my first side.

I have only every done Sterns.
You live and learnā€¦ lol

#18637 2 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

If you pull the playfield to itā€™s most outward down position. Put you hand under the playfield from the back and lift front and back, it will balance upward off the rails. Kinda like your lifting the PF out.

OMG where was this key post before I got my blades?! Need an instructional YouTube video illustrating this!
Great to know.. I'll try it out next time I am working on the playfield and give it a go... Thx

#18638 2 years ago
Quoted from etr104:

But what causes this to periodically happen?

Please check the connectors on the opto driver board under the playfield and at the I/O board in the head. Reseat main ones from opto driver board to I/O board.

#18639 2 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Yes, they're supposed to come with protectors.

#18640 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Classic! That song is actually growing on me. Dig Slashā€™s guitar solo.

Hate to burst your bubble but the studio version you hear of this song doesn't have Slash or Duff playing on it as they weren't part of the Chinese Democracy album

Edit: Iā€™m too slow catching up on the thread, already several posts - oops!
So to confirm no Slash or Duff on any Chinese Democracy song as you hear it

#18641 2 years ago

Got it. Still a sweet solo.

#18642 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Got it. Still a sweet solo.

Chinese Democracy isnā€™t a bad album at all even though it gets crapped on a lot.

#18643 2 years ago

Getting end of stroke stuck open errors for upper flippers. Anybody have an idea what the source of the issue could be. I've done all the basic checking under the hood etc.

#18644 2 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Getting end of stroke stuck open errors for upper flippers. Anybody have an idea what the source of the issue could be. I've done all the basic checking under the hood etc.

"Basic checking" doesn't really articulate exactly what you've done, so hard to say.

Did you check that the EOS is opening and closing as it should with the movement of the flipper pawl by manually moving it and watching the switch? Did you look for broken wires at the end of the EOS?

#18645 2 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Did you check all the EOS switches for a broken wire ?

Tests - Switches - Dedicated - move flipper bat, do any of them register on the screen ?

Check their connector on the I/O board to be sure it is plugged on tight.

#18646 2 years ago

Only had my first jersey jack game 2 weeks and not super impressed with the build quality.

Iā€™ve already had it open 3 or 4 times for minor repairs and adjustments.

Was on my way to my best game ever with over 13 million and only on ball two and the bottom right flipper goes out.

I opened it up to find the pin holding the flipper assembly laying in the cabinet. Put it back in to find the opening must have worn and itā€™s a very loose fit.

I know Iā€™m the 2nd owner but for Christ sakes this game was made in February and has only about 300 games on it. How is it literally falling apart already.

So disappointed with this so far. Love the game. But Iā€™ve never had to open any game 5 times the first week or two.

Can a guy try a bigger pin or should I be replacing the plunger

#18647 2 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Can a guy try a bigger pin or should I be replacing the plunger

Get a new one and be done with it.

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-right-flipper-plunger-and-crank-assembly.html

#18648 2 years ago

The is NOTHING better than hitting an applause jackpot. Am.I.right?

#18649 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

The is NOTHING better than hitting an applause jackpot. Am.I.right?

6 ball power chord is close, but applause is probably the best, especially at the last second.

#18650 2 years ago

Applause is awesome
I love chasing a good power chord
F*ck this game is the best !

"Go out and live your dream"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ardmore, PA
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

12,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

8,400 (OBO)
$ 11,000.00
ā‚¬ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 210.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

There are 28,339 posts in this topic. You are on page 373 of 567.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/373?hl=sako-trg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.