E9C01EBD-88E1-4E06-AA6C-362887CF2B40 (resized).jpeg
379E30A2-9767-465E-B8A6-F632779EC613 (resized).jpeg
3FFC6346-5A38-4342-8F12-48E8739214C4 (resized).jpeg
716BE39F-07A3-4969-A3CD-B4D925076E0C (resized).jpeg
A4DA3C0C-3725-49FB-A044-38FA750DA1FB (resized).jpeg
C74C9B48-4C44-4E56-BF63-A3B47F7B2808 (resized).jpeg
DD4E7BF9-7714-4554-AFCF-FAE3A6D2DAE1 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

62 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 19,794 posts in this topic. You are on page 362 of 396.
#18051 57 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did the action button pedal install on GnR last night, and holy crap is it great. Canceling album mode with my foot, changing patches on the fly with the foot pedal while I'm still managing the balls on the playfield (especially when you know the taps from one to the other - got the rose, tap tap, now gun is queued up, make the shot - next. Got the shirt, tap tap tap, now the poster is queued, etc). Initial impression is 10/10, would do again.

I’ve been thinking about doing this as well. Thanks for the idea!. It does take away a bit from the risk/reward aspect, but a guitar pedal mod just fits in so well with the theme of this machine. Besides it’s just for my personal machine so does it really matter? As a guitarist I would definitely use an actual stomp box enclosure (with a momentary switch). Plus you could wrap it with some cool GnR graphics.

Cyber Monday deal on these so I may just pick it up the bundle so I can mess up a few before getting it right:

DaierTek 5pcs 1590B Guitar Pedal Enclosure Aluminum Diecast Stomp Box Case 112x61x32mm Toggle Switch Box amazon.com link »

#18052 57 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, it looks like he has the topper shifted off the LED strip at the bottom so the light's not getting all they way up.

I’ve got one of these on order (first run) so I’ll see what it looks like when I get it. The animations seem really cool.

For the bottom lights, I’m guessing that he moved the lights on the bottom to back light the marquee. He mentioned something about it in a post. I like the look of the marquee so bright like that, but from the pictures the rest of the topper seems dark so I’m not sure if I would want to do that. Really hard to tell on lighting from photos though.

#18053 57 days ago
Quoted from arcadem:

OK, I just installed the PINBALLMODZ upgrade to my GNR topper and it looks great. The animation in the LEDs is a major upgrade to the overall appearance and effects of the Topper. It also goes very well with the translight mod sold by Bob at LERMOD. I don't know why some in this string are knocking it without having seen it in person but I do think it will win over any objective person who sees/tries it. The instructions on the web site are clear and concise; amongst the best that I have seen for mods. The packaging and shipping were first rate. I agree that Vic's (PINMONK) products are hard to beat and I have bought several from him. But, he is not offering a competitor to this one and I commend him for respecting the original work done by Kyle Virginn (whom I do not know and did not pay for this review in case you are wondering). Just imho.

You got me interested, do you have any video on YouTube? How do I order if I did want one?
I googled PINBALLMODZ and found nothing.
p.s. I dont have a facebook acct.

#18054 57 days ago
Quoted from Dobler:

I’ve been thinking about doing this as well. Thanks for the idea!. It does take away a bit from the risk/reward aspect, but a guitar pedal mod just fits in so well with the theme of this machine. Besides it’s just for my personal machine so does it really matter? As a guitarist I would definitely use an actual stomp box enclosure (with a momentary switch). Plus you could wrap it with some cool GnR graphics.
Cyber Monday deal on these so I may just pick it up the bundle so I can mess up a few before getting it right:
DaierTek 5pcs 1590B Guitar Pedal Enclosure Aluminum Diecast Stomp Box Case 112x61x32mm Toggle Switch Box amazon.com link »

The only problem with a guitar pedal is those are generally A/B rather than momentary switches, so you'd have to change the way they work inside or it would leave the action button pressed until you hit it again. But yeah, thematically a guitar box works great.

#18055 57 days ago
Quoted from AvidPinPlayer:

The magnet over the AXL lanes stopped working. What is the best course of action? Is there an adjustment? I can't find where to test it in the testing menu.

It's in the coil tests. If the magnet fails, it's probably due to the fuse wrapped into the coil.

You have some options:

1. Get a replacement from JJP (which may fail again)
2. Replace it with an unfused coil of the same value
3. Remove the fuse from the existing coil and replace.

I removed the fuse in mine, but I also requested a replacement that I haven't installed. It has worked fine ever since I did this and I've had no ill effects.

#18056 57 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The only problem with a guitar pedal is those are generally A/B rather than momentary switches, so you'd have to change the way they work inside or it would leave the action button pressed until you hit it again. But yeah, thematically a guitar box works great.

Anything that says “true bypass” won’t work, but they sell momentary switches that look identical and would work great.

amazon.com link »

#18057 57 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It's in the coil tests. If the magnet fails, it's probably due to the fuse wrapped into the coil.
You have some options:
I removed the fuse in mine, but I also requested a replacement that I haven't installed. It has worked fine ever since I did this and I've had no ill effects.

That magnet's thermal switch cuts off at like 180F or something (well, before it dies and never works again), and given how hot the diverter coil can get (220F+), that magnet coil without either a thermal switch like it comes with or a fuse added could be a fire hazard. I wouldn't recommend running it without one or the other, especially if you have long play times.

#18058 57 days ago

My headphones sound terrible, have a very nice over the ear pair and a good set of ear buds, running direct, not via Bluetooth. Are people happy with their sound or any ideas on how to improve? Low volume, lots of static.

#18059 57 days ago
Quoted from AvidPinPlayer:

The magnet over the AXL lanes stopped working. What is the best course of action? Is there an adjustment? I can't find where to test it in the testing menu.

It's in the coil section

Power down and reboot, it may have overheated the themal cutoff

The pulse test should grab the ball for a second, it doesn't stay on during the test, only pulses, so have the ball somewhat near the magnet when you engage the test button

Contact distro otherwise

#18060 57 days ago

just put Pinstadium NEO concert editions on my LE. It is insane how dramatically the lights affect the game. I was reluctant to put them on at first because the game's well lit as is, but boy am I happy that i finally installed them. I highly encourage all owners to buy a set. it is a must have for this game!!!

I'm happy to report that my LE has had NO issues since delivery, after more than 600 games played. it rocks, but I'm still terrible at achieving high scores. pure fun anyways!!

#18061 57 days ago
Quoted from Vespula:

You got me interested, do you have any video on YouTube? How do I order if I did want one?
I googled PINBALLMODZ and found nothing.
p.s. I dont have a facebook acct.

The web site is WWW.PINBALLMODZ.COM. enjoy!

#18062 57 days ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

My headphones sound terrible, have a very nice over the ear pair and a good set of ear buds, running direct, not via Bluetooth. Are people happy with their sound or any ideas on how to improve? Low volume, lots of static.

I don't have static, but the jack on mine is intermittent and the sound quality of the jack is awful with all 3 mid-high end Sennheisers I've tried in it. You're not alone.

#18063 56 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That magnet's thermal switch cuts off at like 180F or something (well, before it dies and never works again), and given how hot the diverter coil can get (220F+), that magnet coil without either a thermal switch like it comes with or a fuse added could be a fire hazard. I wouldn't recommend running it without one or the other, especially if you have long play times.

Fair point!

#18064 56 days ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

It's in the coil section
Power down and reboot, it may have overheated the themal cutoff
The pulse test should grab the ball for a second, it doesn't stay on during the test, only pulses, so have the ball somewhat near the magnet when you engage the test button
Contact distro otherwise

On early code my magnet failed and was a dead horse. JJP sent a replacement. On new code, I thought the replacement died but turned out it just shut off for a long period to cool off. So either the new magnets have an auto reset thermo switch, or the code kills it after it’s been pulsed x amount of times in a certain period.

In either case, my replacement has been going strong for 6(?) or so months. *knock on wood*

#18065 56 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

You have some options:

Thank you so much. I'll request a replacement and replace the fuze.

#18066 56 days ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

On early code my magnet failed and was a dead horse. JJP sent a replacement. On new code, I thought the replacement died but turned out it just shut off for a long period to cool off. So either the new magnets have an auto reset thermo switch, or the code kills it after it’s been pulsed x amount of times in a certain period.
In either case, my replacement has been going strong for 6(?) or so months. *knock on wood*

The thermal switch it ships with shuts off when it hits a temp (I think it was 180F when I checked) then turns back on once the sensor detects the temp below a threshold of like 150F or so. I don't remember the exact numbers.

I think the initial problem was just a crappy batch of thermal switches that eventually failed and just stayed off.

#18067 56 days ago
Quoted from arcadem:

I'm done enjoying the landing page ... Just says Coming soon.

#18068 56 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The thermal switch it ships with shuts off when it hits a temp (I think it was 180F when I checked) then turns back on once the sensor detects the temp below a threshold of like 150F or so. I don't remember the exact numbers.
I think the initial problem was just a crappy batch of thermal switches that eventually failed and just stayed off.

That explains a lot and makes much more sense of the design and issues reported.

#18069 56 days ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I'm done enjoying the landing page
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"df792699332e82c10f0e59a02aed4ba2b36d8a55-1638234633-1800"};
//]]>

... Just says Coming soon.

You need to open the menu to access the site. Click on the 3 bars on the upper left side of the web page to navigate through the site. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I believe he is sold out now but he does plan to resume production when he gets more supplies. Worth the wait.

#18070 56 days ago

Forgot to mention that you have to use FB Messenger to contact him

#18071 56 days ago
Quoted from arcadem:

You need to open the menu to access the site. Click on the 3 bars on the upper left side of the web page to navigate through the site. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I believe he is sold out now but he does plan to resume production when he gets more supplies. Worth the wait.

You obviously haven't tried it. Nada.

#18072 56 days ago

Hi all- have had issue for long time. I posted 6900 posts ago and suggestions were to tighten screw but that doesn’t do anything. Basically my center Passover diverter into guitar lock slowly creeps to left as I am playing and machine is vibrating and being nudged (thereby diverting more than one ball to the right). The opposite doe NoT happen. Really frustrating as can’t do powechords sometimes and ball searches have to happen to release a ball sometimes. Any ideas??

I took a video but don’t know how to upload it here

#18073 56 days ago
Quoted from moat-pin:

Hi all- have had issue for long time. I posted 6900 posts ago and suggestions were to tighten screw but that doesn’t do anything. Basically my center Passover diverter into guitar lock slowly creeps to left as I am playing and machine is vibrating and being nudged (thereby diverting more than one ball to the right). The opposite doe NoT happen. Really frustrating as can’t do powechords sometimes and ball searches have to happen to release a ball sometimes. Any ideas??
I took a video but don’t know how to upload it here

Here we go

#18074 56 days ago

You would have to look in the manual but if the screw doesn’t tighten I’m guessing a missing washer or ring under ? Just guessing .

#18075 56 days ago

I'm getting a hardware error: LED/PFC (ACC) Board Communication Failure. Anyone know where this board is located? Can't find any info in the manual.

#18076 56 days ago
Quoted from screaminr:

The top of it looks a bit dark , shouldn't it be lit up

It looks like he's recommending to put the LCD strip for the topper behind the unit and build a box out of foamcore to light up just the marquee. Don't like that. Makes the top part of the topper way too dark. I'd probably just stick with the normal way of lighting the topper all the way through.
topper-behind-sml (resized).jpg

#18077 56 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It looks like he's recommending to put the LCD strip for the topper behind the unit and build a box out of foamcore to light up just the marquee. Don't like that. Makes the top part of the topper way too dark. I'd probably just stick with the normal way of lighting the topper all the way through.
[quoted image]

My money is waiting for you Monk.

#18078 56 days ago
Quoted from lemmings418:

My money is waiting for you Monk.

Appreciate the vote of confidence, but just don't see the value in duplicating effort. What he's got is good enough and very reasonably priced. It can be customized from there pretty easily.

#18079 56 days ago

Not level enough? Or like other poster said, maybe missing a washer to tighten it up a bit.

#18080 56 days ago

That's pretty bizarre. Is the diverter nice and flat? If not, I'd flatten it. If it is, my next step would be to flip it over and see if it vibrates the opposite direction. If it does, maybe that would suggest a weight unevenness on the diverter? If it still vibrates the same way, maybe the mounting post is machined uneven on top? I'm just grasping for ideas, but maybe that will help? Might also try reaching out to JJP and see if they'd send/sell you a new diverter and mounting post if all else fails. Worst case scenario, perhaps the guitar head isn't level, causing the issue?

#18081 56 days ago

Might be ever-so-slightly bent. Try unscrewing it and flipping it over.

If that doesn't work, you could also try swapping with one of the ones on the bass guitar.

#18082 56 days ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

You would have to look in the manual but if the screw doesn’t tighten I’m guessing a missing washer or ring under ? Just guessing .

Thanks all. The screw does tighten but it doesn’t solve the problem. Check and everything level everywhere. The diverter is flat (parallel to playfield). Will try the flip suggestions.

#18083 56 days ago
Quoted from moat-pin:

Thanks all. The screw does tighten but it doesn’t solve the problem. Check and everything level everywhere. The diverter is flat (parallel to playfield). Will try the flip suggestions.

Can you tighten to the point the diverter won't turn? If not, add a washer or two under it. If the screw is bottoming out and the diverter is still loose, this should solve the problem.

#18084 56 days ago
Quoted from arcadem:

He doesnt have anything listed on his website....how do I get information on this product?

#18085 56 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

He doesnt have anything listed on his website....how do I get information on this product?

His email contacts are listed as:
orders at pinballmodz.com
or
kylevirg at gmail.com

#18086 56 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

His email contacts are listed as:
orders at pinballmodz.com
or
kylevirg at gmail.com

Thanks I did see his contacts...does anyone have a video? I have the same topper, and although reasonably priced its your typical JJP cheap do nothing topper

#18088 56 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Thanks I did see his contacts...does anyone have a video? I have the same topper, and although reasonably priced its your typical JJP cheap do nothing topper

This video does give you an idea of the animation modes (for the people wisely avoiding Facebook exposure):

#18089 56 days ago

I found his manual on the site and it has plenty of info that makes me take a pass. Too diy for me, the finished look isn't polished enough, and I'm not keen on the trade offs that detract from stock topper. It's not horrible, parts of it are cool, it's heading in the right direction but just not my cup of tea..

Here you go... Decide for yourself..
https://www.pinballmodz.com/pdfs/JJP-GNR-OEM-TOP-RGB-LED-MOD_Installation_Manual_v1.1.pdf

#18090 56 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I'm getting a hardware error: LED/PFC (ACC) Board Communication Failure. Anyone know where this board is located? Can't find any info in the manual.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/318#post-6540667

#18091 56 days ago

My GNR LE was scheduled for delivery this Thursday, had a text today at work that I had missed delivery...sigh, ok so you can message me to say I wasn't home but how about a text to say when you are actually delivering, It's so easy, you could of been mine today

#18092 56 days ago
Quoted from DKong:

It's so easy, you could of been mine today

… Patience

It will be an amazing Christmas DKong

#18093 56 days ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Can you tighten to the point the diverter won't turn? If not, add a washer or two under it. If the screw is bottoming out and the diverter is still loose, this should solve the problem.

There is supposed to be a thin "wave washer" under each passive diverter to allow the screw to cinch down tight, but still put a little bit of drag on the diverter piece so it doesn't wander over from vibrations. If you remove the screw and the diverter, do you see the washer under there? (Careful! They're very tiny and easily lost.) If no washer, then there's your problem, get one from JJP. If it's there maybe it's just a little flat, try carefully reforming it to be more wavy.

#18094 56 days ago

Thanks, but I don't think that's the pcb in the error I'm getting. I'll contact JJP support today.

#18095 56 days ago

The album modes and especially Slash Solo needs refactoring. They are an absolute waste of time.

#18096 56 days ago
Quoted from Lounge:

The album modes and especially Slash Solo needs refactoring. They are an absolute waste of time.

Agree, not worth the risk. It needs better scoring, stacking or some perk you receive.

#18097 56 days ago
Quoted from Lounge:

This seems like a good spot to bump the wishlist.

* Kill thepops when applause is lit
* Album modes scoring boosts for each additional album mode played in one game (i.e. first album mode = 1x scoring, second = 2x, third = 3x, final = 5x)
* Slash solo: make it stackable with every other element in the game except a song.
* We need a wizard mode for completing all 21 songs!
^^that last one is just a joke to get Keefers blood boiling. Hope he’s still checking in on us

#18098 56 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This video does give you an idea of the animation modes (for the people wisely avoiding Facebook exposure):

Thank you....

#18099 56 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I heard back from pinballmodz. He's sold out of his two batches (and has a wait list for people who flake) and doesn't plan on making anymore units. Maybe finishing up your project makes more sense?

#18100 56 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I heard back from pinballmodz. He's sold out of his two batches (and has a wait list for people who flake) and doesn't plan on making anymore units.

This doesnt surprise me.

Quoted from PtownPin:

Maybe finishing up your project makes more sense?

I think it does...PinMonk -- no rush, but consider it for a future project. I'll wait as long as it takes.

There are 19,794 posts in this topic. You are on page 362 of 396.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside