IMG_2676.gif
IMG_0960 (resized).jpeg
image1 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
GnRAllenWrenchMod (resized).jpg
200w.gif
IMG_2222 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 28,410 posts in this topic. You are on page 290 of 569.
#14451 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I removed my homemade Invisiwall mod and installed the high-class PinMonk airball shield today.
Looks like it's part of the game doesn't it?
[quoted image]

Sure does. Pinmonk to the rescue. On flying, draining airballs that is.

#14452 2 years ago

How are people getting the larger t nuts to embed in the playfield? Just push? I imagine you don't want to torque it down.

#14453 2 years ago
Quoted from glpinball:

I put PETG washers on almost every post. This one came with a black washer from the factory so I left it alone. Mistake.
[quoted image][quoted image]

So basically nothing has changed at all on any of the new GNR playfields. Unreal. Mirco need to go, this is trash

#14454 2 years ago
Quoted from Shmilder:

How are people getting the larger t nuts to embed in the playfield? Just push? I imagine you don't want to torque it down.

On the upper PF, just a hammer since you will have the upper PF removed to do it and access is then easy. Just be careful to protect the top of the PF with cloth etc. when hammering it in.

For the 2 in the pops a hammer with some sort of extension like a bit of wood or i used a long socket a bit smaller than the width of the tnut base.

To remove the old one, just a small flathead screwdriver is enough to work it loose.

#14455 2 years ago

Can i donate for fruit?

#14456 2 years ago

My magnet coil got defect. So what is the common way to fix it? Get a new one from JJP, that will fail again after some time? Or follow the sticky post here and shortcut the thermal fuse? Or should I put in a 23.800 coil without the fuse instead? Have you any recommendations?

#14457 2 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

My magnet coil got defect. So what is the common way to fix it? Get a new one from JJP, that will fail again after some time? Or follow the sticky post here and shortcut the thermal fuse? Or should I put in a 23.800 coil without the fuse instead? Have you any recommendations?

It's not a thermal fuse, it's a thermal switch that is supposed to open and close based on heat.

Dunno about the 23-800 coil, but I think bypassing the thermal switch so the coil is always on is a bad idea given how much heat it generates.

#14458 2 years ago

I’m looking for the mod decal that sits on the left drum symbol. I think it’s the brand name of the drums? Where can I get one?

#14459 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I’m looking for the mod decal that sits on the left drum symbol. I think it’s the brand name of the drums? Where can I get one?

You mean the Zildjian clear sticker?

https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/guns-n-roses-cymbal-decals

Or the Sabian one?

https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/guns-n-roses-cymbal-decals-option-2

#14460 2 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

I'm same boat as you.

yes, coming in this week. just shipped yesterday

#14462 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Either I guess lol thank you again!

Frank Ferrer plays Sabian, right? its selfmade
67A3E7B1-E251-4F69-8F15-5DAC22E3D08B (resized).jpeg67A3E7B1-E251-4F69-8F15-5DAC22E3D08B (resized).jpeg

#14463 2 years ago
Quoted from Cayenne:

Frank Ferrer plays Sabian, right? its selfmade
[quoted image]

I think back in the appetite days was zildjen
But If you want to be authentic and consistent with the Not in this lifetime tour theme of the pin, you should order sabian

Looks great cayenne!!

#14464 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

So basically nothing has changed at all on any of the new GNR playfields. Unreal. Mirco need to go, this is trash

My May playfield June build LE has all the updated post assemblies from the factory. I bought all the stuff to upgrade but didn’t need to. Fortunately no pooling or chipping so far. It’s beyond belief that the games were allowed to be sold in the condition that I’ve seen in pictures with no and no warranty to rectify this to make the customer happy!

#14465 2 years ago
Quoted from cybevenom:

On flying, draining airballs that is.

I remember when I used to consider flying, draining air balls a good time!

#14466 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's not a thermal fuse, it's a thermal switch that is supposed to open and close based on heat.
Dunno about the 23-800 coil, but I think bypassing the thermal switch so the coil is always on is a bad idea given how much heat it generates.

I cool the coil after removing the defective thermal switch.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4944210

And it wasn't a lot of work there.
The pinballcoils too.

kuehlunghinten (resized).jpgkuehlunghinten (resized).jpgkuehlungspulen (resized).jpgkuehlungspulen (resized).jpg
#14467 2 years ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

The pinballcoils too.[quoted image][quoted image]

Hi Agima2000, I like your work (really nice man), but how/where do you connect the fans to? What I mean is: where do you get the power from somewhere on the playfield...? Could you show me with a picture or other?
Thanx!

#14468 2 years ago

Hi everyone! I’m still waiting on my GNR LE (hopefully will get here by mid-September) but this being my first pinball ever I have been lurking Pinside for a while to learn about the hobby and be ready by the time my LE gets home. I already purchased all the must haves for this pin (PinMonk’s cooling kit, PinWoofer and a bunch of stuff from Titan pinball).

That being said, the 2 posts above made me wonder: PinMonk have you thought of adding a fan for cooling the big magnet in the back?. Your kit already have an extra plug so it might be a matter of just adding one additional fan and bracket (not sure about length of cable being that I don’t have my machine yet)

#14469 2 years ago
Quoted from JvdS:

Hi Agima2000, I like your work (really nice man), but how/where do you connect the fans to? What I mean is: where do you get the power from somewhere on the playfield...? Could you show me with a picture or other?
Thanx!

I always use an additional power supply for my mods, which I connect to the main switch of the pinball machine.
I don't want to connect anything directly to the pinball electronics.

#14470 2 years ago
Quoted from glpinball:

I put PETG washers on almost every post. This one came with a black washer from the factory so I left it alone. Mistake.

Same exact issue on mine.

#14471 2 years ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

The pinballcoils too.[quoted image][quoted image]

Hmm, can someone explain to me why don't I own a 3d printer yet?

#14472 2 years ago

yes.. The artwork there is fugged already where the pooling is . it moved with the ripple .. No longer attached to wood. best case scenario is hot round iron and press it flat and clear washer it. I did not do iron trick to mine due to it was too late and the pooling part came off with the post when i was going to put the iron and new pteg washer to it but the ripple stuck to said post washer and art gone... be very carefull with this

Quoted from glpinball:

Mistake.

#14473 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Inbreeding?

Sorry, first thing that came to mind.

#14474 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

big mistake
there are great things you can do with it for your pinball machine.

#14475 2 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Inbreeding?
Sorry, first thing that came to mind.

Wasn't talking to you anyway.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#14476 2 years ago
Quoted from Mar3nBu:

PinMonk have you thought of adding a fan for cooling the big magnet in the back?. Your kit already have an extra plug so it might be a matter of just adding one additional fan and bracket (not sure about length of cable being that I don’t have my machine yet)

Yes, but I want to gather temp data of the magnet before I jump into that so I have a baseline. The diverter coil also gets VERY hot, well over 200F.

#14477 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes, but I want to gather temp data of the magnet before I jump into that so I have a baseline. The diverter coil also gets VERY hot, well over 200F.

Considering the number of coils we need to cool, I'm wondering if the fan below would be more efficient?

In all seriousness, thanks for designing all your fan solutions. The pair on my DP made a noticeable difference, and I'll be ordering a GNR set as soon as my unit ships. Which will probably be well after you finish designs for the diverter and magnet

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#14478 2 years ago
Quoted from Xelz:

Considering the number of coils we need to cool, I'm wondering if the fan below would be more efficient?
In all seriousness, thanks for designing all your fan solutions. The pair on my DP made a noticeable difference, and I'll be ordering a GNR set as soon as my unit ships. Which will probably be well after you finish designs for the diverter and magnet
[quoted image]

Haha. Noise might be a problem.

I'm actually really interested to know what the temps are on the magnet coil after an hour or two of play. I bet they're similar to the scorching diverter coil, but not quite as hot. Can't wait to get my machine and test.

#14479 2 years ago

So there’s a problem with the magnet coil deactivating when it gets hot because of a thermal switch?

#14480 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I think back in the appetite days was zildjen
But If you want to be authentic and consistent with the Not in this lifetime tour theme of the pin, you should order sabian
Looks great cayenne!!

Yea - Steven Adler was the drummer during Appetite - but he danced with mr brownstone too much and got canned. Frank has been with the band since 2006.

I just saw the boys in Vegas on Friday - they sounded great! Axl has lost all of the extra weight he was sporting on the last tour. The new Allegiant stadium was really nice too.

#14481 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

So there’s a problem with the magnet coil deactivating when it gets hot because of a thermal switch?

I *believe* it's designed to cut power to the coil if it gets too hot, then the switch resets when the temp is below a certain threshold, restoring power to the coil automagically. However, the thermal switch seems to be dying. My *guess* is the high usage of the magnet is making the coil always very hot, triggering the switch too frequently and killing it.

Or JJP went to the lowest bidder and that's not the best idea in China.

Bypassing the wrapped-in thermal switch is a bad idea if the coil is getting so hot (seen an Addams family playfield yellowed, browned or burned from with overheated "The Power" coils?). Active cooling will likely completely solve the issue, but I want to gather baseline temperature data on the stock magnet coil under heavy use first.

#14482 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I *believe* it's designed to cut power to the coil if it gets too hot, then the switch resets when the temp is below a certain threshold, restoring power to the coil automagically. However, the thermal switch seems to be dying. My *guess* is the high usage of the magnet is making the coil always very hot, triggering the switch too frequently and killing it.
Bypassing the wrapped-in thermal switch is a bad idea if the coil is getting so hot (seen an Addams family playfield yellowed, browned or burned from with overheated "The Power" coils?). Active cooling will likely completely solve the issue, but I want to gather baseline temperature data on the stock magnet coil under heavy use first.

Get on it Monk!

#14483 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

To chime in a bit on this; I’m on my 2nd coil from JJP and it’s been running like a champ *knock on wood*. I think pinmonk is correct, that the design is to have an auto reset, i.e. gets too hot > trips and won’t work until it cools down. I’ve experienced this with the new coil. But previous coils, like my first, totally blew the switch.

All in all; if you have a failed magnet, I’d recommend getting a replacement from JJP and run with that. Despite popular belief, it was a painless experience and got my new magnet fairly quickly. Could be different now with all the supply issues, but that’s my 2 cents.

#14484 2 years ago

How do magnets even fail? The DE GNR magnets are way more complex and still work after almost 30 years

BFA9337A-728D-4347-A4DC-2FFBD8399E3C.gifBFA9337A-728D-4347-A4DC-2FFBD8399E3C.gif
#14485 2 years ago

How do magnets even fail? The DE GNR magnets are way more complex and still work after almost 30 years
[quoted image]

Lol.. Chaka I know this is probably not hard for you to believe but you're even funnier than you look.

#14486 2 years ago

Thank you, I resemble that remark

#14487 2 years ago

[quoted image]

It's not the magnet that's failing in most cases, it's the thermal switch JJP ADDED to the magnet that fails and disables the magnet permanently.

Different point of failure that only seems the same at first glance. And it's probably getting a lot hotter because it's used more than the DE one.

EDIT: The PEPI ST series thermal switch is the cheapest, crappiest one they sell, and only rated at 5A. The W series has a rectangular sensor and seems a LOT more robust, rated at 10A. So probably a case of JJP just going with the cheapest thing and it biting them like the servos.

#14488 2 years ago

Ah, ok. Strange. Maybe another PinMonk mod is needed to keep it cool?

#14489 2 years ago

Haven’t checked the magnet coil for heat but I did notice how hot my flipper coils got on the first day I received the game. The right one especially has really hot. Did the latest update on the second day and my coils get nowhere near as hot now. In fact not even a concern now. Has the latest update changed something?

#14490 2 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Haven’t checked the magnet coil for heat but I did notice how hot my flipper coils got on the first day I received the game. The right one especially has really hot. Did the latest update on the second day and my coils get nowhere near as hot now. In fact not even a concern now. Has the latest update changed something?

The software did improve the situation, but the flipper coils will still get hot and fade over time, even faster with trap play.

#14491 2 years ago

Ah, ok. Strange. Maybe another PinMonk mod is needed to keep it cool?

Once I get my GnR this month and can get some baseline temp testing on the magnet coil, I can go to work on it.

#14492 2 years ago

what everybody but me has hot coils and magnets ?
I seriously do not have these issues .

#14493 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Once I get my GnR this month and can get some baseline temp testing on the magnet coil, I can go to work on it.

I have a theory that the heat is coming not from the magnet use (which is not THAT frequent) but the upper right flipper on the same rail. It is quite possible that a cooled upper right flipper keeps the magnet cool too. I have not methodically tested this though. I cut out my fuse and yolo'd without it.

#14494 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I have a theory that the heat is coming not from the magnet use (which is not THAT frequent) but the upper right flipper on the same rail. It is quite possible that a cooled upper right flipper keeps the magnet cool too. I have not methodically tested this though. I cut out my fuse and yolo'd without it.

When I test to get the baseline, I'll be able to see temps on both in realtime, and it seems like that would be obvious if that were the case.

#14495 2 years ago

First time nailing 3 separate power chords in one song with a 6, 5 and a 3. All during Welcome to the Jungle.

#14496 2 years ago

Since we keep talking about the magnet above the Axl lanes, what exactly causes that to grab the ball? it seems like maybe once at the start of the game and once after a song mine will grab it, but that's about it. Is there something that's supposed to get it to stop there?

#14497 2 years ago

Current torque specification on outlane movable posts?

#14498 2 years ago

When do the official JJP inner art blades for the LE go on sale and where can one purchase them? I saw an announcement and pics, but don't see them for sale anywhere. Not available yet?

#14499 2 years ago
Quoted from MutterFudder:

Since we keep talking about the magnet above the Axl lanes, what exactly causes that to grab the ball? it seems like maybe once at the start of the game and once after a song mine will grab it, but that's about it. Is there something that's supposed to get it to stop there?

• pre-song to collect letters and qualify AXL
• during a song when AXL is the active member and has not been collected yet for the frenzy revolver.
• usually (not always) when lanes are lit for song shots.

#14500 2 years ago

My magnet failed after one week got a replacment two weeks ago and that one failed after two days. Ken told me they used low quality components on the first batch of magnets. So it is strange why my second magnet failed so fast.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

7,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Silverthorne, CO
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 210.00
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Long Beach, NY
$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tulsa, OK
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 28,410 posts in this topic. You are on page 290 of 569.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/290?hl=cayenne and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.