IMG_20240413_155854 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155858 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155856 (resized).jpg
IMG_1426 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_2636.gif
IMG_2002 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 28,343 posts in this topic. You are on page 275 of 567.
#13701 2 years ago

So what are folks using to eliminate that JJP speaker pops on bootup? I know they sell a ground loop isolater but I think that's more for humming sounds rather then the popping but I could be wrong. I know others made a relay timing board to cut sound off to the speakers until x amount of time passes but is there anything else at this point we can use or does the isolater device work?

#13702 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

With the Pirates crew still waiting on theyā€™re update Iā€™m guessing itā€™s going to be awile.

I would think that GNR would be a far higher priority for them to release code since they are actively selling and manufacturing them right now. There's really no incentive for them to allocate any resources to Pirates at this point.

#13703 2 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

So what are folks using to eliminate that JJP speaker pops on bootup? I know they sell a ground loop isolater but I think that's more for humming sounds rather then the popping but I could be wrong. I know others made a relay timing board to cut sound off to the speakers until x amount of time passes but is there anything else at this point we can use or does the isolater device work?

A ground loop isolator addresses most of the hum as you suggested, but it does not address the pops. harryhoudini offered some sort of relay on a timer item awhile back so you might check with him.

#13704 2 years ago

<blockq

Quoted from zaphX:

I wouldn't put Slash on AXL's lane, but I'm a purist.

Plus it would be fitting somehow to have Axl hiding ā€œbackstageā€ lol.

#13705 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Has anyone been able to update to the latest beta code? These WiFi updates are starting to drive me insane. I was finally able to update Wonka via WiFi last night after about a dozen tries. I havenā€™t had luck with GnR yet.

Is there a new one since Beta 15? I didnā€™t have any problems but it took a WHILE.

#13706 2 years ago
Quoted from sanantoniopinhea:

Has anyone on here had to adjust the vuk coil strength on the upper playfield? About half the time the ball won't go up to the bass wireform and shoots back to the upper flipper. Mine is currently at level 15.

Adjust yours. That is what coil settings are for. To make your game play the way you like.

LTG : )

#13707 2 years ago

Fixed my sticking upper playfield flipper... I don't remember there being any posts on here about it before, so here's a quick synopsis and what I did to fix it... thanks zaphX for putting me on the right track and helping me through.

Basically, I noticed during gameplay that it didn't look like my upper pf flipper was returning all the way "home," and then sometimes it stuck all the way up, and I even got a ball stuck in the cutout beneath it. I raised the PF and the flipper traveled free and easy, until I put a little pressure on the top of the flipper (mimicking gravity), when it stuck/binded. zaphX suggested I check the coil plunger, and that indeed turned out to be the issue. The weight of the flipper and shaft put enough downward pressure on the linkage to make the plunger askew as it tried to travel in and out of the coil, causing the drag.

Tried just lifting the shaft some more, but the weight was still there of course. Looking closely, I noticed that when I slid the flipper shaft down as far as it would go without dragging the playfield, there was still a small gap between the sleeve on the flipper assembly (which comes a few inches out of the playfield and to the bottom of the upper PF) and a spacer sleeve that sits on top of it, meaning that unless the flipper were lower and sitting right on top of that spacer sleeve, the flipper isn't being supported by anything but the pinch clamp on the flipper assembly... and that weight being on the pinch clamp was the reason it putting pressure on the linkage and plunger. I use too many words.

So I just needed to make the weight rest on the spacer sleeve so it didn't torque the shaft and put lateral pressure on the flipper linkage. Luckily, I have about 6,000 PETG washers sitting around now, and they are about the right thickness to let the flipper rest on the shaft spacer. I took a 3/4" PETG washer and drilled out the hole with a 5/8 bit, which made it big enough to fit around the shaft. Then I just loosened the pawl nut, spread the pinch clamp a little with a screwdriver, removed the flipper and shaft, slid the washer on it (3/4 inch is the perfect size for the radius of the flipper), slid the spacer back on, and inserted it right back down. The height was perfect, I just retightened the pawl nut to get that pinch clamp semi-tight, made sure I had a little vertical play on the shaft, put the flipper in its position over the playfield, and tightened the pawl nut the rest of the way down. Swings free and easy now, returns to "home" without issue, and I'm back in business.

I hope no one else has such an issue, but if you do, it was pretty easy to deal with. PM me if I didn't make enough sense and you need help.

1598C9BB-F231-4EC9-A66D-48082D447AEB (resized).jpeg1598C9BB-F231-4EC9-A66D-48082D447AEB (resized).jpegE43C3ACA-D96B-42A4-860F-45AAF02AD58D (resized).jpegE43C3ACA-D96B-42A4-860F-45AAF02AD58D (resized).jpeg
#13708 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Has anyone been able to update to the latest beta code?

The latest beta update addresses the issues for updating with WiFi so you need to update to the latest code

#13709 2 years ago
Quoted from deejaypee:

Fixed my sticking upper playfield flipper... I don't remember there being any posts on here about it before, so here's a quick synopsis and what I did to fix it... thanks zaphX for putting me on the right track and helping me through.
Basically, I noticed during gameplay that it didn't look like my upper pf flipper was returning all the way "home," and then sometimes it stuck all the way up, and I even got a ball stuck in the cutout beneath it. I raised the PF and the flipper traveled free and easy, until I put a little pressure on the top of the flipper (mimicking gravity), when it stuck/binded. zaphX suggested I check the coil plunger, and that indeed turned out to be the issue. The weight of the flipper and shaft put enough downward pressure on the linkage to make the plunger askew as it tried to travel in and out of the coil, causing the drag.
Tried just lifting the shaft some more, but the weight was still there of course. Looking closely, I noticed that when I slid the flipper shaft down as far as it would go without dragging the playfield, there was still a small gap between the sleeve on the flipper assembly (which comes a few inches out of the playfield and to the bottom of the upper PF) and a spacer sleeve that sits on top of it, meaning that unless the flipper were lower and sitting right on top of that spacer sleeve, the flipper isn't being supported by anything but the pinch clamp on the flipper assembly... and that weight being on the pinch clamp was the reason it putting pressure on the linkage and plunger. I use too many words.
So I just needed to make the weight rest on the spacer sleeve so it didn't torque the shaft and put lateral pressure on the flipper linkage. Luckily, I have about 6,000 PETG washers sitting around now, and they are about the right thickness to let the flipper rest on the shaft spacer. I took a 3/4" PETG washer and drilled out the hole with a 5/8 bit, which made it big enough to fit around the shaft. Then I just loosened the pawl nut, spread the pinch clamp a little with a screwdriver, removed the flipper and shaft, slid the washer on it (3/4 inch is the perfect size for the radius of the flipper), slid the spacer back on, and inserted it right back down. The height was perfect, I just retightened the pawl nut to get that pinch clamp semi-tight, made sure I had a little vertical play on the shaft, put the flipper in its position over the playfield, and tightened the pawl nut the rest of the way down. Swings free and easy now, returns to "home" without issue, and I'm back in business.
I hope no one else has such an issue, but if you do, it was pretty easy to deal with. PM me if I didn't make enough sense and you need help.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Gee I thought you always wanted a bit of space between the flipper bushing and the flipper bat. Thatā€™s what the spacers are for that you use during a rebuild. You want to have a little play when you pull up on the flipper bat. I guess that looks like a different set up with a different kind of bushing. Glad it works now for you

#13710 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Gee I thought you always wanted a bit of space between the flipper bushing and the flipper bat. Thatā€™s what the spacers are for that you use during a rebuild. You want to have a little play when you pull up on the flipper bat. I guess that looks like a different set up with a different kind of bushing. Glad it works now for you

I think itā€™s just because itā€™s such a long shaft and there isnā€™t playfield underneath it. Itā€™s sort of ā€œfloatingā€ up there. So maybe none of them is actually sitting atop the spacer sleeve but mine was binding too much so I needed to. Thereā€™s still plenty of vertical play for the shaft with my setup here. Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s right, this is my first upper playfield with long-shafted bats.

#13711 2 years ago
Quoted from deejaypee:

I think itā€™s just because itā€™s such a long shaft and there isnā€™t playfield underneath it. Itā€™s sort of ā€œfloatingā€ up there. So maybe none of them is actually sitting atop the spacer sleeve but mine was binding too much so I needed to. Thereā€™s still plenty of vertical play for the shaft with my setup here. Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s right, this is my first upper playfield with long-shafted bats.

I had the same issue and fixed it without the washer. Just tightened the mech on a different part of the flipper shaft.

#13712 2 years ago
Quoted from deejaypee:

I think itā€™s just because itā€™s such a long shaft

9A8BA383-E4AD-41CD-B2F9-1356FFA3DE2F.gif9A8BA383-E4AD-41CD-B2F9-1356FFA3DE2F.gif
#13713 2 years ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

A ground loop isolator addresses most of the hum as you suggested, but it does not address the pops. harryhoudini offered some sort of relay on a timer item awhile back so you might check with him.

Does the pin woofer kit address any of these issues?

#13714 2 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

The THUMP and POP on boot up I dislike greatly. I wish JJP would get rid of it.
Its appears to be an audio pop, can't it be muted somehow ?
Is it really that difficult ?

#13715 2 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

As stated above, there was a guy who made a board that stopped the audio coming on until the machine had got past that point. If that noise annoys you just contact him and get the mod.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, i have a weightlifting gym next door

#13716 2 years ago
Quoted from Gear_Grinder:

The latest beta update addresses the issues for updating with WiFi so you need to update to the latest code

does it do anything else? and... why is it beta? is it not for everyone? Should we wait until it's passed beta stage?

#13717 2 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

<blockq

Plus it would be fitting somehow to have Axl hiding ā€œbackstageā€ lol.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#13718 2 years ago

Maybe put a BBQ grill mod back there for Axl

AD29CCF6-4BBA-4853-B5FB-92F1A3EEFE91 (resized).jpegAD29CCF6-4BBA-4853-B5FB-92F1A3EEFE91 (resized).jpegD26DB532-08DD-499B-8598-1CF0C41F28CB (resized).jpegD26DB532-08DD-499B-8598-1CF0C41F28CB (resized).jpeg
#13719 2 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

does it do anything else? and... why is it beta? is it not for everyone? Should we wait until it's passed beta stage?

Haha, I kinda said as a joke because I had problems downloading the update and it took me 4 times and when I read the update log it basically said that it fixed update download issues and no code changes. I had to laugh at the irony of the situation!!!

#13720 2 years ago
Quoted from Gear_Grinder:

Haha, I kinda said as a joke because I had problems downloading the update and it took me 4 times and when I read the update log it basically said that it fixed update download issues and no code changes. I had to laugh at the irony of the situation!!!

Iā€™m in the same boat. Iā€™ve tried downloading the latest Beta 12-15 times now. Still no luck. Was able to download the last one after a lot of tries. Canā€™t seem to get this one to go.

#13721 2 years ago

Machine arrived today. Will look at build date later. No pooling upon initial inspection. Next up... Cliffy and Pin Monk installations! LE, btw.

Quoted from Paddy-o:

Machine arrived today. Will look at build date later. No pooling upon initial inspection. Next up... Cliffy and Pin Monk installations! LE, btw.

Cliffys and fans installed. Washers everywhere. No pooling at this point.

Stats:
- Playfield date: looks like July 8th, 2021, but it's pretty blurry
- Mfg date: July 2021
- longer posts added

Fingers crossed this is the threshold for playfield bullshit!

#13722 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Iā€™m in the same boat.

Two things that I did (but could just be coincidental) I reset my modem and varified the connection to it. This shouldnā€™t matter because it downloads but fails to verify so hopefully the update resolves this if you can ever get it updated!

#13723 2 years ago

Im
Getting a loud pop noise sounds kinda like a firecrackee after every time i put my initials for high score. Has anyone else experienced this?

#13724 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead007:

Im
Getting a loud pop noise sounds kinda like a firecrackee after every time i put my initials for high score. Has anyone else experienced this?

Knock, knock, knockingā€¦

#13725 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead007:

Im

You either matched or got a credit and the knocker fired. The knocker was supposed to alert everyone in the arcade that you were a badass. All old school games had it. Stern killed it many years ago due to just cutting and make it the terrible screech sound.

Love me some real knockers.

#13726 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

You either matched or got a credit and the knocker fired. The knocker was supposed to alert everyone in the arcade that you were a badass. All old school games had it. Stern killed is many years ago due to just cutting and make it the terrible screech sound.
Love me some real knockers.

Oh shoot. Thats sick. I had no
Idea. At first i thought something was just wrong with the speaker that thing is loud

#13727 2 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

I like the Crackle Pop on startup , it let's me know it's alive

#13728 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead007:

Idea. At first i thought something was just wrong with the speaker that thing is loud

It is sick , and it's a pity some companies don't include them anymore . Always good to see someone jump , who's not expecting it .

#13729 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

It is sick , and it's a pity some companies don't include them anymore . Always good to see someone jump , who's not expecting it .

fully agree. I had a nice experience this weekend when i went to Berlin and visited the Berlin Flipperhalle. They had a Ghostbusters there and the librairian scream triggered a few times. Not the same as a knocker going off but it got the job done. Had not seen it live yet so was pleaseantly surprised on some of the heads turning when it activated. That game has really grown on me.

#13730 2 years ago
Quoted from Silkenone:

Knock, knock, knockingā€¦

Which is NOT in this game!!! Huge omission in my opinion. One of their best and one of my favorites.

Anyone have any insight as to why the omission?

#13731 2 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Which is NOT in this game!!! Huge omission in my opinion. One of their best and one of my favorites.

The rights to the song are not fully theirs.

#13732 2 years ago
Quoted from cybevenom:

fully agree. I had a nice experience this weekend when i went to Berlin and visited the Berlin Flipperhalle. They had a Ghostbusters there and the librairian scream triggered a few times. Not the same as a knocker going off but it got the job done. Had not seen it live yet so was pleaseantly surprised on some of the heads turning when it activated. That game has really grown on me.

My mate had GB and the first time I heard it , made me jump .
I also really liked Midnight Madness . I didn't know about it and I was playing and the flippers went dead and I thought what's going on here and then the bell began to Toll and it said Midnight Madness , it was so cool .
I don't know why more pins don't have more cool stuff coded. .

#13733 2 years ago

The knocker is adjustable as well so you can lessen the noise, increase it, etc in the operator settings.

#13734 2 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

One cover song was enough. (GNR fans love to piss and moan about all of the covers in the NITL shows, under the pretense that theyā€™re being played at the expense of originals or even new music.)

I originally thought itā€™d be kinda cool to have the Donā€™t Cry alt lyrics version in-game as some type of switch/unlockable, but keeping to the NITL theme I get why itā€™s not there.

One audio thing I do wish were different is the generic ā€œEncoreā€ chant; so flat and sterile. A ā€œGuns Nā€™ Rosesā€ chant (see intro to Get in the Ring) seems a better fit.

#13735 2 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

One audio thing I do wish were different is the generic ā€œEncoreā€ chant; so flat and sterile. A ā€œGuns Nā€™ Rosesā€ chant (see intro to Get in the Ring) seems a better fit.

That is a great idea! Keep the Encore graphic even, just change the chant.

#13736 2 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Quoted from Shmilder:

Does the pin woofer kit address any of these issues?

The difference in ground between the motherboard and the machine is what gives rise to a ground loop and hum / stray audio noise. A ground loop isolator is the way to address this and they are cheap and easy to come by in case yours is missing and you need one.

The initialization pops are produced by the motherboard audio hardware during power up, DAC and PGA initialization. (This is cheap / minimal audio circuitry.) Therefore, the pops are present in the motherboard output signal during boot. The amplifier is not responsible for this. When you hear the pops its just the amplifier doing its job - reproducing what's provided at the input. Adding an aftermarket sound card (and using the Linux ASLA audio driver) is a likely solution, but a heavy lift and I doubt the manufacturer cares much about it, and is not at all interested in adding the cost to solve it this way. Another way to eliminate it is to open the signal or speaker lines until after boot, like the gadget we've been talking about.

#13737 2 years ago

(Temporary Album laminate/graphic while waiting for new factory decal)

Had to tighten the album screw as the plate became wobbly. I already have a new sticker on order from JJP. But in the meantime, my old decal had some bubbling and creasing. It was Appetite for Destruction. Not sure if that decal will come with the same title so while waiting, I decided to try and make my own.

I peeled the outer laminate layer off the existing sticker carelfully which left the silver main backing. The album and the clear came off pretty smoothly.
I then made a graphic in photoshop and printed it out to just a little larger than the original.

I then tightented the album screw, made sure my clearance height was good, reattached the plastic nut, and then removed the bumper post on the album.

I then made a rubbing of the album disc on a sheet of paper with a pencil to have the exact diameter to cut out a perfect circle of mylar that would run to the edge of the album.

Using a very small piece of double sided tape, I positioned my paper/printer GNR graphic circle and then spun the album to make sure it was centered and not wobbling off center from rotation.

Next, I cut out my rubbing stencil and used it to trace onto a mylar sheet. I then cut out the mylar circle.

Using only a small lip of exposed sticky mylar, being careful not to bend or crease it, and peeling a small edge from the sheet, I lined up the mylar with the album edge, making sure the distance was correct by laying the rest of the covered mylar over the album and checking the covering of the album once the rest of the paper was removed. When happy with the result, I peeled the rest of the paper from the mylar and laid down the covering similar to the process of applying a screen covering to a cell phone.

Poked a small hole for the screw to reattach the bumper remembering the washers both above and below the album

Here are the results...Not too shabby. It's not as shiny as the factory, but it'll do for now

I may just leave this on for now and use the factory one that comes as a spare backup.
20210819_111014 (resized).jpg20210819_111014 (resized).jpg

20210819_104730 (resized).jpg20210819_104730 (resized).jpg20210819_111023 (resized).jpg20210819_111023 (resized).jpg
#13738 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead007:

We old schoolers have that sound imbedded into our minds. If you heard that, it was the glory. I thought everyone knew what that sound was until recently I saw a couple young gents playing and I heard them ā€œcrack a gameā€ as we called it. They looked around in dismay and thatā€™s when I realized they had no idea. I told them they won a game. They were like ā€œoh shit I thought we broke the gameā€

#13739 2 years ago

Match is called a 'pity pop' round here.

The one you really want your mates to hear is the Grand Champion triple pop. On Sorcerer it rings the bell as well for ages.

#13740 2 years ago

Hey when you were a kid with no quarters left, there was no pity getting a pop. I got a double pity pop a week ago on Funhouse. Was still glorious even on Freeplay

#13741 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Hey when you were a kid with no quarters left, there was no pity getting a pop. I got a double pity pop a week ago on Funhouse. Was still glorious even on Freeplay

Still work for a free game nowadays when i play my mates machines on location. 3 games for $5, so playing two player we need a pity pop or a good game to get the second player in for the second game. It's a highfiveable achievement.

#13742 2 years ago

Ok , so now my spinning disk record looks like a real record. I stuck small Phillip's screwdriver into center of decal and got the wobble gone. Now has a perfect hole in center just like a real vinyl record

#13743 2 years ago
Quoted from simpswho:

Ok , so now my spinning disk record looks like a real record. I stuck small Phillip's screwdriver into center of decal and got the wobble gone. Now has a perfect hole in center just like a real vinyl record

Nothing wrong with a little hole.

#13744 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I like the Crackle Pop on startup , it let's me know it's alive

Fair enough mate
I just don't think it does any good for the speakers , and it scares the shit out on me in a quiet room, I think something is shorting out.
Very unpleasant

#13745 2 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Fair enough mate
I just don't think it does any good for the speakers , and it scares the shit out on me in a quiet room, I think something is shorting out.
Very unpleasant

Just picture Slash plugging his guitar into a live concert stack!

It's harmless and really nothing to worry about at all.

#13746 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Just picture Slash plugging his guitar into a live concert stack!
It's harmless and really nothing to worry about at all.

Haha,
Keefer should make that a mode, just to blow the speakers and freak players out, lol

#13747 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Nothing wrong with a little hole.

You don't want one in an organ, or a tire. Disaster in a boat or plane.

#13748 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

The rights to the song are not fully theirs.

I thought this was the case. But... what about Live and Let Die? also a cover yes?

#13749 2 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

I thought this was the case. But... what about Live and Let Die? also a cover yes?

The popular story is that Slash called McCartney to ask if they could use it in the game, to which he replied with some version of ā€œof course.ā€

#13750 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

You don't want one in an organ, or a tire. Disaster in a boat or plane.

DBF1A5A9-0D02-41B8-9EFA-39115A802320 (resized).jpegDBF1A5A9-0D02-41B8-9EFA-39115A802320 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Moreno Valley, CA
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silverthorne, CO
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Purcellville, VA
$ 11,000.00
ā‚¬ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 210.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

There are 28,343 posts in this topic. You are on page 275 of 567.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/275?hl=pinhead007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.