IMG_20240413_155854 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155858 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155856 (resized).jpg
IMG_1426 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_2636.gif
IMG_2002 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 28,351 posts in this topic. You are on page 252 of 568.
#12551 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Any CE owners installed Pinwoofer kits? Is it needed?

You can see my post in the CE thread in which I added an external sub and a preamp for the CE soundbar and it dramatically improved both high and low end (though was insufficient without both).

#12552 2 years ago

How many balls does this pin take? Are you ordering the Polaris carbon balls or something specific to avoid magnetizing?

#12553 2 years ago

Well shit. After about 500 plays after installing the PETG washers I am now seeing pooling in two places. The left ball guide by left spinner and the bare post inlane by the amp lights.

The inlane post had significant pooling and playfield paint was cracked. I removed the post and washer and tried to flatten with the iron. Although this removed the ripple it made a bit more of the paint chip away.

I covered the area with some Mylar and added a second silicone washer under the PETG and put the post back on. I’ll be keeping an eye on it. Shit

341B646A-F27E-4041-A33A-934CA8A09D0E (resized).jpeg341B646A-F27E-4041-A33A-934CA8A09D0E (resized).jpeg6C326646-A55F-42BD-AA94-FC9306594C75 (resized).jpeg6C326646-A55F-42BD-AA94-FC9306594C75 (resized).jpeg8D8F2B6C-A6AA-4EE4-BFCE-140F1987F839 (resized).jpeg8D8F2B6C-A6AA-4EE4-BFCE-140F1987F839 (resized).jpegCFA997A2-7E95-4A75-93E0-76C84E49B7F0 (resized).jpegCFA997A2-7E95-4A75-93E0-76C84E49B7F0 (resized).jpeg
#12554 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Well shit. After about 500 plays after installing the PETG washers I am now seeing pooling in two places. The left ball guide by left spinner and the bare post inlane by the amp lights.
The inlane post had significant pooling and playfield paint was cracked. I removed the post and washer and tried to flatten with the iron. Although this removed the ripple it made a bit more of the paint chip away.
I covered the area with some Mylar and added a second silicone washer under the PETG and put the post back on. I’ll be keeping an eye on it. Shit
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So sorry to see this. I feel for you and hope everything turns out OK. Shitty feeling, I have had it a few times now.

Could you please let us know the build date of your machine?

Thanks and all the best.

#12555 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

So sorry to see this. I feel for you and hope everything turns out OK. Shitty feeling, I have had it a few times now.
Could you please let us know the build date of your machine?
Thanks and all the best.

Thanks. April 2021 build.

#12556 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Thanks. April 2021 build.

I sincerely wish you well.

Thanks!

#12557 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Oh man I'm sorry to see that. Did you iron your playfield and then install the PETG washers in the first place? I'm hesitant to say it but surely PETG isn't digging into the playfield??

#12558 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

A professional pinball clearcoat guy told me, (can't mention names) said the washers WILL NOT STOP THIS!! It may help for a while but it will go past the washers in time. Nothing can be done..

#12559 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

That is absolutely disgracefull corporate behavior and the reason they will never get another cent from me if i can help it.

I totally agree w/ this. I have supported JJP from 2013 to today. I have taken abuse defending them, you name it.. I'm done!! If they don't take care of people w/ all these issues, i hope this hurts future sales. Sorry to say this but each time i look at my GNRCE that i have not played in months, it pisses me off. To top it all off, it seems to be getting worse and i have not touched it. It's unbelievable. They should be ashamed of themselves...

#12560 2 years ago

Yep, just ordered two new Sterns yesterday, waiting on my Haggis Fathom and will be watching AP's next announcement with interest (and cash if it's LoV) but JJP can get fucked. Just like they expect their customers to.

#12561 2 years ago

My LE should be delivered next week. I plan on spending 8 hours to JJP-itize everything with Cliffy protectors, PETG washers, and cooling fans. I should be excited but I’m nervous about having to take a new machine apart and put it back together just to play it.

#12562 2 years ago
Quoted from hool10:

Oh man I'm sorry to see that. Did you iron your playfield and then install the PETG washers in the first place? I'm hesitant to say it but surely PETG isn't digging into the playfield??

I did not have any pooling here prior to putting the plastic washer. It stayed perfect for a long time. The other day I saw the pooling.

#12563 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

I did not have any pooling here prior to putting the plastic washer. It stayed perfect for a long time. The other day I saw the pooling.

How tight did you torque that post down? Hard to imagine these petg sinking in unless it was over torqued.

#12564 2 years ago

For those interested in what the DIY cabinet hot rails look like during a song.
Note that this machine also has the concert edition pin stadiums.

#12565 2 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

How tight did you torque that post down? Hard to imagine these petg sinking in unless it was over torqued.

Not crazy tight. Just snug. That post doesn’t have a rubber so my guess is that it was the vibrations of the ball hitting it that caused the pooling

#12566 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

I honestly think the Silicone washers are the only thing that will work because they are softer than the clear. Probably the "gold standard" is silicone under PETG, but then the posts get very high. Might be OK for areas where the height doesnt matter, but for other areas such as slings, the height affects the rubber height which in turn affects the sling kicker arm.

Originally on my Wonka I used Silicone and PETG, but felt it was overkill and went back to just silicone. Time will tell I guess.

I'd be hesitant putting mylar over damaged areas as removing it could bring up more art.

This is JJP PF sega is alot like Covid - Silicone and PETG washers are like vaccines, they will help, your playfield wont disintegrate straight away, but in the end we are all just going to have to learn to live with it.

#12567 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I honestly think the Silicone washers are the only thing that will work because they are softer than the clear. Probably the "gold standar" is silicone under PETG, but then the posts get very high. Might be OK for areas where the height doesnt matter, but for other areas such as slings, the height affects the rubber height which in turn affects the sling kicker arm.
Originally on my Wonka I used Silicone and PETG, but felt it was overkill and went back to just silicone. Time will tell I guess.
I'd be hesitant putting mylar over damaged areas as removing it could bring up more art.
In the end this might be like Covid - we are all just going to have to learn to live with it.

I was thinking the same thing about the Mylar. I just didn’t want to risk any paint cracking beyond the diameter of the washer. That would be game over

#12568 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

I was thinking the same thing about the Mylar. I just didn’t want to risk any paint cracking beyond the diameter of the washer. That would be game over

Yeh, I get that. Your damage looks do be contained in the ring immediately around the post hole, so probably Mylar will be OK. I have lifted Mylar succesfully off damaged areas - just need to use heat (not too much because it also softens the clear) and be very slow.

Those posts in that spot could probably also benefit from the Williams style posts. Whats weird is those posts in that spot get very little impact.

#12569 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballFuries:

My LE should be delivered next week. I plan on spending 8 hours to JJP-itize everything with Cliffy protectors, PETG washers, and cooling fans. I should be excited but I’m nervous about having to take a new machine apart and put it back together just to play it.

Isn’t it fk’d up we have to do this? I’ve never seen any pin with this much NIB Fukery going on. “Hey, here’s your new car you spent all your money on, but you better plastic wrap it before you drive it off the lot or all the paint will fall off.” Complete trash

#12570 2 years ago

I used rubber /silicone washers on my wonka and it has been ok for years now.. not a fan of the plastic washers for the most part as they can dig in and cause issues also. The rubber/silicone have some give to them when the posts move .

#12571 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I used rubber /silicone washers on my wonka and it has been ok for years now.. not a fan of the plastic washers for the most part as they can dig in and cause issues also. The rubber/silicone have some give to them when the posts move .

Exactly - anything softer than the clear has to be a win IMO.

#12572 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

As promised, let me know what you think! I forgot to include the power supply in the video, but it is in the video's description.

Thank you for this and the instructional video.

Winter project for me now once my LE arrives later this year.

#12573 2 years ago

Love playing this game. The more I learn +very slowly) the more fun it is.

But I can't find a place where the info is to learn to play. The rules. Patches. Modes. Scoring. Etc...

Is there a place for GNR 101: How to play? Hahaha.

Seriously tho, where can I go to get a good synopsis of all the rules and scoring and how patches and modes and songs all work?

#12574 2 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Love playing this game. The more I learn +very slowly) the more fun it is.
But I can't find a place where the info is to learn to play. The rules. Patches. Modes. Scoring. Etc...
Is there a place for GNR 101: How to play? Hahaha.
Seriously tho, where can I go to get a good synopsis of all the rules and scoring and how patches and modes and songs all work?

http://tiltforums.com/t/guns-n-roses-jjp-rulesheet/6803

#12575 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballFuries:

Your LE should come with black plastic washers installed at the 11 posts below, personally I don't think you will need (or should) to remove them and replace with PETG washers. This latest combo appears to be working very well.

2067a7c79c0a43e5a97c9829cf1759dd2bcc7ed8 (resized).jpg2067a7c79c0a43e5a97c9829cf1759dd2bcc7ed8 (resized).jpg

Below are pictures from my July 2021 build showing a majority of the new post / washer combination.

76267f15c7ac499ea85e81182c7c72d5713acf06 (resized).jpg76267f15c7ac499ea85e81182c7c72d5713acf06 (resized).jpg
933463b1d61300fa8ed5996cb1111861b05a3ea3 (resized).jpg933463b1d61300fa8ed5996cb1111861b05a3ea3 (resized).jpg
c5327ee17361b8d892486f82289c5912853ec10f (resized).jpgc5327ee17361b8d892486f82289c5912853ec10f (resized).jpg
fcd48131df3c43098bcb6959158a4eb131a1adc6 (resized).jpgfcd48131df3c43098bcb6959158a4eb131a1adc6 (resized).jpg

#12576 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Isn’t it fk’d up we have to do this? I’ve never seen any pin with this much NIB Fukery going on. “Hey, here’s your new car you spent all your money on, but you better plastic wrap it before you drive it off the lot or all the paint will fall off.” Complete trash

grease saran wrap.gifgrease saran wrap.gif

#12577 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Your LE should come with black plastic washers installed at the 11 posts below, personally I don't think you will need (or should) to remove them and replace with PETG washers. This latest combo appears to be working very well.
[quoted image]
Below are pictures from my July 2021 build showing a majority of the new post / washer combination.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Thank god you posted this. I am about to get my LE as it comes in 2 weeks. At least I know they are addressing the issue with the posts. But I am still scared to death.

#12578 2 years ago

Maybe it's time to use Cliffy's technic so any washer (PETG, metal,...) can move without damaging the playfield ?

http://www.passionforpinball.com/JJP-GNR/CF-washer-compare.jpg

#12579 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

First off this situation completely sucks period! As for repair this is just my opinion and nothing more! I personally think the silicone option is the worst solution. I think because it’s soft and pliable it literally grabs the clear coat and Pulls it off the playfield! Almost multiplies the tear strength as the rubber acts like an adhesive spring. How many posts have we seen where people go this route and it Still happens. Mylar on the other hand like pinball companies used for Many years before this never had an issue in fact it was the primary strategy to overcome weak Playfield coatings. I have used simple Mylar rings to repair over 50 games now and have yet to have a single one with issues later. Mylar is a rigid patch that bonds the problem area as one surface meaning the entire area would need to lift up at one time. Like a bandaid it keeps the wound sealed and bonded together. I see very few people that have done simple Mylar, then a rigid washer note the issue returning. In my opinion I feel like we are simply overcompensating the issue and multiplying the problem. Again Completely just my opinion nothing more but this horrible situation just seems to be getting worse. Shame on JJP for not at the very least halting the line to stop this train wreck. Any washer is going to move, period. You need to bond the surface below it so it doesn’t!

#12580 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

First off this situation completely sucks period! As for repair this is just my opinion and nothing more! I personally think the silicone option is the worst solution. I think because it’s soft and pliable it literally grabs the clear coat and Pulls it off the playfield! Almost multiplies the tear strength as the rubber acts like an adhesive spring. How many posts have we seen where people go this route and it Still happens. Mylar on the other hand like pinball companies used for Many years before this never had an issue in fact it was the primary strategy to overcome weak Playfield coatings. I have used simple Mylar rings to repair over 50 games now and have yet to have a single one with issues later. Mylar is a rigid patch that bonds the problem area as one surface meaning the entire area would need to lift up at one time. Like a bandaid it keeps the wound sealed and bonded together. I see very few people that have done simple Mylar, then a rigid washer note the issue returning. In my opinion I feel like we are simply overcompensating the issue and multiplying the problem. Again Completely just my opinion nothing more but this horrible situation just seems to be getting worse. Shame on JJP for not at the very least halting the line to stop this train wreck. Any washer is going to move, period. You need to bond the surface below it so it doesn’t!

Amazing how many different opinions we have on this issue.

Have you seen examples of Silicone washers doing ripping up art? I personally haven’t.

Also, Mylar is great if the clear is not already damaged - and that was always its purpose. But I still question putting it over already damaged clear/art - it will likely rip up the art when removed.

Personally I think Mylar (if no damage), then silicone is the best solution.

Not arguing, just my opinion also and will keep a track on my silicone washers over time and report back. Happy to be wrong if there’s a better solution.

#12581 2 years ago
Quoted from Bing_Party:

Thank god you posted this. I am about to get my LE as it comes in 2 weeks. At least I know they are addressing the issue with the posts. But I am still scared to death.

While it does suck, try not to let it bother you too badly. It could be worse, it could be a stern with chipped ball guides. Why JJP is under the heat ray so much more than stern baffles me. I’d rather have a chipped post that can be fixed and concealed with a Mylar ring + washer than a chipped ball guide that will be an eye sore for life. Welp, that’s pinside tunnel vision.

As for the game, it’s unlike any other game. Completely amazing. So roll the dice with a samey stern and their playfield issues or go all in with something completely different that is filled with Adrenalin. That said, and all BS aside, GNR does take quite a bit to dial in and get playing right. But when you find the sweet spot, holy hell what an experience in sound, gameplay, shots, combos, code, and rules. All that’s really missing is a complete ruleset, faith in Keefer and team to bring it home!

#12582 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

As for the game, it’s unlike any other game. Completely amazing

Can’t wait to finally play the bastard. It just gives me the shits we have to do all this before playing.

#12583 2 years ago

Does anybody have the flipper rubber sizes?

#12584 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Does anybody have the flipper rubber sizes?

I would check the Titan Database: https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/browse/bygame/5755

#12585 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

While it does suck, try not to let it bother you too badly. It could be worse, it could be a stern with chipped ball guides. Why JJP is under the heat ray so much more than stern baffles me. I’d rather have a chipped post that can be fixed and concealed with a Mylar ring + washer than a chipped ball guide that will be an eye sore for life. Welp, that’s pinside tunnel vision.
As for the game, it’s unlike any other game. Completely amazing. So roll the dice with a samey stern and their playfield issues or go all in with something completely different that is filled with Adrenalin. That said, and all BS aside, GNR does take quite a bit to dial in and get playing right. But when you find the sweet spot, holy hell what an experience in sound, gameplay, shots, combos, code, and rules. All that’s really missing is a complete ruleset, faith in Keefer and team to bring it home!

What do you mean by chipped ball guide?

#12586 2 years ago

20 games in on a CE;

20210718_101501 (resized).jpg20210718_101501 (resized).jpg

Not happy at all....

#12587 2 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

20 games in on a CE;
[quoted image]
Not happy at all....

Have you used washers under the Post ? Or was ist only the Post without any washers?

#12588 2 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Have you used washers under the Post ? Or was ist only the Post without any washers?

Out of the box just a post no washer, I have now, put a Titan washer on (so closest to playfield) then a metal washer and a longer threaded post with washer under the playfield and nylon nut.

20210718_104233 (resized).jpg20210718_104233 (resized).jpg

Also turned down the pops to their lowest.

#12589 2 years ago

My CE still a glorified jukebox, no play till Cliffy kit arrives. Tracking says stuck in San Francisco for last 10 days, frustrating. Oh well, had to go away for work again.
I implore JJP to address the matter appropriately. Our Australian distributor has provided great customer service and Barry from JJP has been super helpful.

20210701_175915 (resized).jpg20210701_175915 (resized).jpg20210702_114642 (resized).jpg20210702_114642 (resized).jpg20210702_114703 (resized).jpg20210702_114703 (resized).jpg20210702_143207 (resized).jpg20210702_143207 (resized).jpg
#12590 2 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

My CE still a glorified jukebox, no play till Cliffy kit arrives. Tracking says stuck in San Francisco for last 10 days, frustrating.

Don't lose hope. I have no idea what's going in in SF lately, but I had a number of international packages go into that black hole and nothing happened for almost THREE WEEKS before they showed up in the destination country. This is not normal.

I did accidentally find out that International Priority Mail express is not subject to this black hole in SF. IPME packages move through SF in lightning speed, and don't cost that much more than regular international priority mail in some cases.

#12591 2 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

My CE still a glorified jukebox, no play till Cliffy kit arrives. Tracking says stuck in San Francisco for last 10 days, frustrating. Oh well, had to go away for work again.
I implore JJP to address the matter appropriately. Our Australian distributor has provided great customer service and Barry from JJP has been super helpful.

Waiting on my cliffys also RA77 . Game also still in box and not playing a game until I’ve done Cliffys and all posts.

Not sure I would have enough self control if it was setup and ready to play like yours though.

#12592 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni: I’ve never seen any pin with this much NIB Fukery going on. “Hey, here’s your new car you spent all your money on, but you better plastic wrap it before you drive it off the lot or all the paint will fall off.” Complete trash

I guess you weren't around for POTC , makes GNR's issues look like a walk in the park .

#12593 2 years ago

I have an issue with my left ramp diverter - it’s getting stuck under the ramp when in the down position. It has quite a lot of rotational play in it (such that the diverter can get caught on the edge of the slot in the ramp). I can’t see any way to tighten it or remove the rotational movement though. Does anyone know?

#12594 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I am going to put a piece of Mylar under the bare post at the guitar lock. What you said makes sense

#12595 2 years ago
Quoted from dmj1977:

I have an issue with my left ramp diverter - it’s getting stuck under the ramp when in the down position. It has quite a lot of rotational play in it (such that the diverter can get caught on the edge of the slot in the ramp). I can’t see any way to tighten it or remove the rotational movement though. Does anyone know?

Underneath the playfield are all the screws tight?

#12596 2 years ago

Just curious, what is different with the black washers JJP is now using on 11 posts versus the clear washers that remain in use in other areas such as the sling posts? Is the material itself different?

I wonder if it would be worth it as an extra preventive measure to remove the 11 posts in question on a latest build and install a small mylar square under each?

#12597 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Don't lose hope. I have no idea what's going in in SF lately, but I had a number of international packages go into that black hole and nothing happened for almost THREE WEEKS before they showed up in the destination country. This is not normal.
I did accidentally find out that International Priority Mail express is not subject to this black hole in SF. IPME packages move through SF in lightning speed, and don't cost that much more than regular international priority mail in some cases.

Pretty sure I'm one of them........still waiting.

#12598 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Amazing how many different opinions we have on this issue.
Have you seen examples of Silicone washers doing ripping up art? I personally haven’t.
Also, Mylar is great if the clear is not already damaged - and that was always its purpose. But I still question putting it over already damaged clear/art - it will likely rip up the art when removed.
Personally I think Mylar (if no damage), then silicone is the best solution.
Not arguing, just my opinion also and will keep a track on my silicone washers over time and report back. Happy to be wrong if there’s a better solution.

You and I are absolutely on the same page. You can’t simply mylar a three dimensional pooled surface and expect it to fix it. Mylar is the bulletproof solution to Not have this issue to start. Or you need to refer to the post repair thread first then Mylar. Your only option when the art and clear are shattered is to use a rubber washer and hope it keeps pressure on it to minimize spreading. I’ve just seen so many “bulletproofing before playing” posts and wanted to share what I have had complete success with.

#12599 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You and I are absolutely on the same page. You can’t simply mylar a three dimensional pooled surface and expect it to fix it. Mylar is the bulletproof solution to Not have this issue to start. Or you need to refer to the post repair thread first then Mylar. Your only option when the art and clear are shattered is to use a rubber washer and hope it keeps pressure on it to minimize spreading. I’ve just seen so many “bulletproofing before playing” posts and wanted to share what I have had complete success with.

Would you recommend then on a latest build, where the latest washer / post / nut combo is installed, to remove the 11 posts in question and install a small piece of mylar under each?

#12600 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Would you recommend then on a latest build, where the latest washer / post / nut combo is installed, to remove the 11 posts in question and install a small piece of mylar under each?

Personally yes. Again a washer any washer getting pounded Will move. Sealing that surface below with a near invisible Mylar will keep it from pooling Or biting into the surface. In an Odd way this situation is similar to the car bras. In the past most would put a leather bra on and find out it still slides and causes More damage. Today the correct solution is a 3M bra (Mylar) that seals the entire surface from any movement or chipping.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ardmore, PA
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 11,000.00
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 210.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

12,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

There are 28,351 posts in this topic. You are on page 252 of 568.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/252 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.