Screenshot_20240314-145241 (resized).png
IMG_2284.gif
giphy.gif
Key-Visual-825x466 (resized).jpg
tom_segura (resized).jpg
PXL_20240313_221935371 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240313_222206086~2 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 27,994 posts in this topic. You are on page 237 of 560.
#11801 2 years ago
Quoted from mozach:

Go to Single Switch from the switch test menu. It has a picture of the playfield. As you scroll through the switches, their location is highlighted on the picture.

Awesome. Thank you. Was able to confirm what Lloyd advised. Thank you again!!

#11802 2 years ago

Wondering if anyone could confirm how the Ethernet board is held onto the metal plate under the playfield. Looks like screws would go down from the topside if the board through the plastic standoffs on the board into the threaded holes in the plate. My board is just hanging. Damn good thing I spotted this!! Shorting this bad boy out would have meant lots of bad things likely!!??

#11803 2 years ago
Quoted from psexton:

Looks like my level is installed upside down. I will try and turn it around tomorrow.
[quoted image]

Maybe you’re supposed to just jack up the front legs super high.

#11804 2 years ago
Quoted from psexton:

Looks like my level is installed upside down. I will try and turn it around tomorrow.
[quoted image]

Or your legs are on backwards

#11805 2 years ago

As promised, let me know what you think! I forgot to include the power supply in the video, but it is in the video's description.

#11806 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

As promised, let me know what you think!

Someone make this a key Post

Great job , thanks for doing it .

#11807 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

awesome - thanks for the video

#11808 2 years ago

I need to buy a new post. Pinballlife.com seems to have them. Anyone know the correct sizing to get? Its the one under the ramp on the right side (or are they all the same size?)

#11809 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

That's so awesome I can definitely do that now that you share those instructions. Great video. I think your shopping cart was missing the power supply but I've seen that in another link somewhere else No big deal.

I'd love to see a video of somebody playing that pin in song mode to get a feel of what the light show looks like.

#11810 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

That's so awesome I can definitely do that now that you share those instructions. Great video. I think your shopping cart was missing the power supply but I've seen that in another link somewhere else No big deal.
I'd love to see a video of somebody playing that pin in song mode to get a feel of what the light show looks like.

Ah good call! I linked it in the description at least
Thanks for the feedback!

#11811 2 years ago

While making the switch fix that you fellas graciously assisted with, found the board that all the cat five cables plug into just hanging under the game. I then proceeded to look for the screws and they were in there. Tucked in the corner. No biggie but it could have been if that board had shorted out. I can see maybe one, possibly two missing screws but all four!! Must have been built on a Friday or Monday. Love the game however. This one is another one that will never leave short of me going financially busy of course!!

#11812 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

As promised, let me know what you think! I forgot to include the power supply in the video, but it is in the video's description.

Nice Work!!!

#11813 2 years ago

Amazon has the EVGA Gold 550W ATX power supply on sale right now for $40. Retail is $119, and street is usually around $75-80, so a very good deal on a good power supply to have on hand if you have any JJP machine from Wonka forward. Cheap insurance against a power supply failure at exactly the wrong time.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supernova-Modular-Warranty-220-G3-0550-Y1/dp/B01LWTS2UL

Good deals today on the 650W ($55) and the 700W ($70) Gold+ too, but they're a little overkill in a JJP machine unless you're modded out the wazoo.

#11814 2 years ago

Can someone check if the right ramp pushing on the rose plastic?

#11815 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Amazon has the EVGA Gold 550W ATX power supply on sale right now for $40. Retail is $119, and street is usually around $75-80, so a very good deal on a good power supply to have on hand if you have any JJP machine from Wonka forward. Cheap insurance against a power supply failure at exactly the wrong time.
amazon.com link »
Good deals today on the 650W ($55) and the 700W ($70) Gold+ too, but they're a little overkill in a JJP machine unless you're modded out the wazoo.

Thanks,
Grabbed one to keep in my cabinet for the future.
Great price.

#11816 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Can someone check if the right ramp pushing on the rose plastic?

Yes, mine rests on it

#11817 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Most excellent! Getting mine together now…with a little help.

#11818 2 years ago

What sized deep socket do i need for the posts? Cheers

#11819 2 years ago

Question - Sorry if this was addressed in video. On the SE model, would the undercabinet lighting still produce RGB color, or only white?

Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Keefer mentioned on tilt in March more code is coming. He is aware of the scoring imbalances as well.
Let’s hope he follows up, I hate playing the album modes, worthless.

Ag

Quoted from daveyvandy:

#11820 2 years ago
Quoted from rapidflipper:

Question - Sorry if this was addressed in video. On the SE model, would the undercabinet lighting still produce RGB color, or only white?

Ag

Interesting question, I have no idea! What do you hot rail connectors look like? (L rail and R rail). I imagine they would not produce color, since it's probably driven by the software, but I could be wrong.
My guess: they probably have RGB led strips in the hot rail, but just disabled color by software, so the cabinet hot rails would also be white.

#11821 2 years ago

I am traveling, but will check when I get home. Thanks so much for documenting this awesome upgrade. If I learn that the rails are simply a “software downgrade” there could be a workaround.

Quoted from daveyvandy:

Interesting question, I have no idea! What do you hot rail connectors look like? (L rail and R rail). I imagine they would not produce color, since it's probably driven by the software, but I could be wrong.
My guess: they probably have RGB led strips in the hot rail, but just disabled color by software, so the cabinet hot rails would also be white.

#11822 2 years ago
Quoted from rapidflipper:

I am traveling, but will check when I get home. Thanks so much for documenting this awesome upgrade. If I learn that the rails are simply a “software downgrade” there could be a workaround.

I’m not sure how the software knows what version of the game you have - I’m guessing it’s the small USB thumb drive plugged into the main board.

#11823 2 years ago

I've been having balls get stuck on the pick spinner. It kinda goes backwards a little during multiball usually and balls get caught by the diagonal part until another blasts through. But if its the last ball I have to lift the front of the machine to free it. Any fixes for this?

#11824 2 years ago
Quoted from glpinball:

I've been having balls get stuck on the pick spinner. It kinda goes backwards a little during multiball usually and balls get caught by the diagonal part until another blasts through. But if its the last ball I have to lift the front of the machine to free it. Any fixes for this?

Found a couple posts for you:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/133#post-6169672

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/192#post-6282030

#11825 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I’m not sure how the software knows what version of the game you have - I’m guessing it’s the small USB thumb drive plugged into the main board.

that’s right. The security dongle is different for each game version (std,LE,ce) and the software gets the information about the game type from the dongle

#11827 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Nice score! I need to start using scorbit again. Haven’t used it in 6+ months. But sounds like they’ve done quite a few updates so might be worth trying again.

Yes, and we'll be releasing some big updates today/tomorrow.

#11828 2 years ago
Quoted from adrock:

I told JJP about the pooling on my CE and they sent me this.

Where do I buy those black washers if I don't want to go through the hassle and contact JPP? I would just rather buy the parts (if possible).

#11829 2 years ago
Quoted from websherpa:

A "smart" wifi surge protector between the pinball machine and the wall outlet would make this same affect with a bit less hassle and have added benefits (voice control of multiple machines, surge protection, complete power off when turning machines off - which is always a good idea).

They make a controlled outlet strip where when the 'control' outlet (where the pin would plug in) doesn't draw any current - the other outlets are are off. When the pin is turned on, then other outlights for a topper or other accessories turn on automatically.

No IOT, Alexa, etc. needed.

https://www.amazon.com/APC-P8GT-Power-Saving-SurgeArrest-Protection/dp/B002K8S2J6/ref=sr_1_11
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#11830 2 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Where do I buy those black washers

Did you try Ebay, USA only suppliers ?

LTG : )

#11831 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did you try Ebay, USA only suppliers ?

I figured it was Pinballife or someone but was more hoping on someone pointing me to the correct size.

#11832 2 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I figured it was Pinballife or someone but was more hoping on someone pointing me to the correct size.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/231#post-6344998

#11833 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

They make a controlled outlet strip where when the 'control' outlet (where the pin would plug in) doesn't draw any current - the other outlets are are off. When the pin is turned on, then other outlights for a topper or other accessories turn on automatically.
No IOT, Alexa, etc. needed.
amazon.com link »
[quoted image]

That's another great option if you don't mind having more than one power cord coming out of the machine.

#11834 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

That's another great option if you don't mind having more than one power cord coming out of the machine.

I liked that option, but had the same OCD response in my brain about wanting only 1 power cord coming out of the pin.

New question........
On a similar vein, how does everyone feel about a battery backup+surge protector? GnR is a gaming PC with sensitive electronics after all, and to prevent the nefarious brown outs or quick power events that happen (maybe, heaven forbid, during a great game!) which could wreak havoc on your pin.

We have a gaming PC in the house that has one and that PC is 1/4 of the price of this pin, so I think it would be logical to put the pin on a UPS? (uninterruptible power supply)

what is the minimum wattage do you think is needed? (Assume the pin with extra mods like the additional 4 hot rails, pinwoofer, tbreeze fans)
Have any others done this and if so, any links of which UPS they went with?

#11835 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I liked that option, but had the same OCD response in my brain about wanting only 1 power cord coming out of the pin.
New question........
On a similar vein, how does everyone feel about a battery backup+surge protector? GnR is a gaming PC with sensitive electronics after all, and to prevent the nefarious brown outs or quick power events that happen (maybe, heaven forbid, during a great game!) which could wreak havoc on your pin.
We have a gaming PC in the house that has one and that PC is 1/4 of the price of this pin, so I think it would be logical to put the pin on a UPS? (uninterruptible power supply)
what is the minimum wattage do you think is needed? (Assume the pin with extra mods like the additional 4 hot rails, pinwoofer, tbreeze fans)
Have any others done this and if so, any links of which UPS they went with?

Powerloss should not be a problem. The gamecode is primarily loaded into ram while booting. Settings are saved to SSD. I think surge protection is more important

#11836 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Yeah I’m wondering this too. If it’s just a physical light limitation vs software block the. I’m guess SE owners could upgrade the hot rails as well

#11837 2 years ago

I use Line Conditioners on all my pins. They output a steady 120 volts regardless of what the electrical company provides. And they are inexpensive. I estimated each pinball machine uses 2 amps of power or 240 watts. This line conditioner is 1200 watts.. I put 3 pins on each line conditioner.
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 3.46.28 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-07-01 at 3.46.28 PM (resized).png An AC power conditioner is the typical power conditioner that provides "clean" AC power to sensitive electrical equipment. Usually this is used for home or office applications and provides surge protection as well as noise filtering.

#11838 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

I was thinking more of an aftermarket topper and the outlet strip would be behind the pin. But if it was placed inside of the pin, then you could use the service outlet.

What are you trying to control?

#11839 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I was thinking more of an aftermarket topper and the outlet strip would be behind the pin. But if it was placed inside of the pin, then you could use the service outlet.
What are you trying to control?

Oh gotcha, an aftermarket topper is the exception where I would use a smart outlet. Unless you routed the power cord to be inside the machine already.

#11840 2 years ago

The under cabinet lighting on the CE or DYI mod looks cool on youtube, but what is it like in person? I play in a dark room and love the lights of my LE (no under cabinet lights) and it is hard from me to imagine how it could get any better. Does the under cabinet lights take it to the next level or does it actually somehow take away from the light show from inside the cabinet?

#11841 2 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

I use Line Conditioners on all my pins. They output a steady 120 volts regardless of what the electrical company provides. And they are inexpensive. I estimated each pinball machine uses 2 amps of power or 240 watts. This line conditioner is 1200 watts.. I put 3 pins on each line conditioner.
[quoted image] An AC power conditioner is the typical power conditioner that provides "clean" AC power to sensitive electrical equipment. Usually this is used for home or office applications and provides surge protection as well as noise filtering.

This is a super idea. Doesn't help your game when you're at the end of getting your all time high score and the power goes out. Lol.
Isn't a good ups also going to condition line quality and maintain stability plus give you battery powered run time to finish your game?

This one is about double the price and while it may not be a perfect sine wave like your recommendation, it's probably good enough with battery backup.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06VY12HW4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_2WVNYB17TPWJ2B28QP84

#11842 2 years ago
Quoted from Demwyn:

Powerloss should not be a problem. The gamecode is primarily loaded into ram while booting. Settings are saved to SSD. I think surge protection is more important

It's a problem if you're in the middle of a game.
UPS provides both continued playing as well as surge

Example ups... And don't say it's too expensive if you own the pin.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06VY12HW4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_2WVNYB17TPWJ2B28QP84

#11843 2 years ago
Quoted from psexton:

The under cabinet lighting on the CE or DYI mod looks cool on youtube, but what is it like in person? I play in a dark room and love the lights of my LE (no under cabinet lights) and it is hard from me to imagine how it could get any better. Does the under cabinet lights take it to the next level or does it actually somehow take away from the light show from inside the cabinet?

IMO it doesn't necessarily add to the experience taking place inside the game, but it does make the lighting effects seem bigger if that makes sense. You're always going to be more focused on the following the ball than watching the light show, but the exterior lighting bouncing off the walls does make it feel more immersive. I went overboard on my machine adding Pinstadiums, Pinwoofer, and an external sub in hopes of making it as concert-like as possible, and I think the external lights tie it all together! Plus, it's not a very difficult addition to make once you have all the parts sourced, and now its even easier with all the solid documentation on here.

#11844 2 years ago

Just listed mine for sale. If it sells it sells if not i won't be sorry to keep it. If you are in Australia and don't want the wait...check FB or email me.

The game is just too complex for me to have fun.

#11845 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Just listed mine for sale... The game is just too complex for me to have fun.

This hurts my heart.

#11846 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

This hurts my heart.

Kinda hope it doesn't sell as i want to take it to pinfest Newcastle in November.

#11847 2 years ago
Quoted from firebrand007:

As PETG washers are not easy to find in my area, I've ordered polycarbonate washers... I assume they should have the same protective qualities ? I'm planning on putting Mylar rings below as suggested by some.

I'm just now getting up to speed in this forum - just found out my GnR LE should be arriving in September! This is a response to a post 20 days ago.

In the world of thermoplastics, PETG and Polcarbonate (PC) would be considered to be relatively close in mechanical properties, but there are some differences. However, I do believe it's a safe assumption to use PC if you cannot get PETG. Keep in mind this is not an endorsement of either for a solution to the playfield issues, but just a note comparing the 2 different polymers.

PC has higher stiffness (Tensile/Flexural Modulus) and strength (Tensile/Flexural Strength) - roughly 30% all around, assuming you are comparing basic unfilled compounds. You'll want to make sure the PC is clear - there are a lot of different PC compounds. PC has significantly higher impact resistance than PETG. When comparing to other material types (i.e. steel washers) though these 2 polymers would be considered to be relatively close in properties.

Polymer fun facts:

PET (and versions of it) is a member of the Polyester family and commonly used in clothing (fiber) and water bottles. PC used to be used in water bottles but there was concern over BPA (Bisphenol A) being an endocrine disruptor and leaching into the water, so alternatives (such as PETG) started being utilized for water bottles. You may see folks refer to LEXAN - this is one of the tradenames for Polycarbonate (PC) and was coined by GE Plastics, one of the companies considered to have "invented" it. PET is one of the most commonly recycled polymers - please put those bottles in your recycle bin....there are folks out there who work hard to get these back into products!

Every wonder why you see more cracked rear tail light lenses than front? That's because PC is used for forward lighting lenses. Acrylic (cheaper and lower impact resistance than PC) is typically used for rear lenses.

Other plastics questions? Let me know. Unfortunately (for me), I know more about this topic than pretty much anything else and am filled with useless information. Sad, but true.

#11848 2 years ago
Quoted from Greaseman:

Polymer fun facts:

You're right, that was fun, thanks.

#11849 2 years ago
Quoted from Greaseman:

I'm just now getting up to speed in this forum - just found out my GnR LE should be arriving in September!

Congrats!!
Great info on plastics, so after becoming smarter thanks to you, I have two questions...

When did you order?
From whom? (JJP direct or disty)

#11850 2 years ago

So I just played my Metallica(previously most played game) for the first time since receiving my gnr a couple weeks ago, and I have to say wow, what a let down. Gnr is on such a whole different level. I seriously just smile as soon as a song starts. Great job jjp team!! Amazing

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mahtomedi, MN
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 210.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
There are 27,994 posts in this topic. You are on page 237 of 560.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/237 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.