IMG_2435.gif
IMG_0331.gif
IMG_2432.gif
IMG_2249 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5614 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5615 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5616 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 28,086 posts in this topic. You are on page 205 of 562.
#10201 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

How in the world is a dual-wound flipper coil overheating like that? Are they not cutting the power circuit voltage when switching to hold voltage?

Even on hold, temps rise, and that diverter can be on hold a LONG time. Stern seems to be machine-gunning their duty cycle with sub-millisecond pulses to achieve their magical almost-no-heat holds. I'm not sure JJP's hardware can go to that resolution, or if they even have that ability on the hold circuit which is separate on a dual wound coil. Spooky's duty cycle on hold is in the millisecond range and may be limited by the P-ROC hardware so they can't emulate Stern's approach (multimorphic care to comment on the lower limit of duty cycle timing pulses with their P-ROC hardware?).

#10202 2 years ago

Have new rules been posted now that we have had several; updates? I'm on V1.22, but the latest rules I found were for V1.08 ...

#10203 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Even on hold, temps rise, and that diverter can be on hold a LONG time. Stern seems to be machine-gunning their duty cycle with sub-millisecond pulses to achieve their magical almost-no-heat holds. I'm not sure JJP's hardware can go to that resolution.

No, that's a dual wound coil. No need to duty-cycle; all you do is turn both circuits on, then turn the primary (power) circuit off after 30ms or so, leaving the hold circuit on. No different than holding a flipper up on a sys11 game.

Maybe they figured out after the fact that the hold circuit was insufficient to keep the diverter pulled down? If so that's a hell of a mess, trying to drive a dual wound coil augmented with PWM... man this whole game is a shitshow

#10204 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

No, that's a dual wound coil. No need to duty-cycle; all you do is turn both circuits on, then turn the primary (power) circuit off after 30ms or so, leaving the hold circuit on. No different than holding a flipper up on a sys11 game.
Maybe they figured out after the fact that the hold circuit was insufficient to keep the diverter pulled down? If so that's a hell of a mess, trying to drive a dual wound coil augmented with PWM... man this whole game is a shitshow

Bleh, right. Stern is using duty cycle on a single wound coil to main temps when holding on Spike (And doing it VERY WELL). Fixed the original post up a bit.

Dunno if there's the ability to duty cycle on the low power hold circuit of a dual wound coil to manage temps better, or if JJP has tried that yet. I'll put in on my "to do" list to check.

#10205 2 years ago

There's no reason to duty-cycle the hold circuit, the resistance of the coil itself should be enough to keep it from overheating. That's the whole point of the design.

Maybe the game rules have the diverter down so much it actually overheats despite the proven design? Or (more likely) the hold circuit wasn't strong enough to keep the diverter down, so they're also using PWM on the power circuit as well to help?

I've owned two Johnny Mnemonics (which use flipper coils to control diverters exactly like GnR does) and I never had issues with either of them roasting the coils.

#10206 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

There's no reason to duty-cycle the hold circuit, the resistance of the coil itself should be enough to keep it from overheating. That's the whole point of the design.
Maybe the game rules have the diverter down so much it actually overheats despite the proven design? Or (more likely) the hold circuit wasn't strong enough to keep the diverter down, so they're also using PWM on the power circuit as well to help?
I've owned two Johnny Mnemonics (which use flipper coils to control diverters exactly like GnR does) and I never had issues with either of them roasting the coils.

Yes, I think that's the main problem. The coil that controls the diverter is just on too much for too long. It should have had a coil that puts it in position and locks it, and a small coil to fire that releases the lock. They didn't do that, so it's on A LOT. Too much, in fact.

Unlike the Stern spike hold with the micro millisecond duty cycle, the Bally/Williams dual wound coil will still heat up with the hold windings, just a lot slower.

#10207 2 years ago

Am I the only one who is sick of hearing about hot coils and f$&ked up playfields? Every time I pop in this thread, it just makes me want to drink more...

Pinball used to be fun...

#10208 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Am I the only one who is sick of hearing about hot coils and f$&ked up playfields? Every time I pop in this thread, it just makes me want to drink more...

It's still fun.

And the right hot-ass coil can be a very good time.

#10209 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Can't agree more. In most Any trouble shooting exercise the safe bet is to ask "what is the last thing we did". For CPR and Mirco the answer seems to be Digital printing. Fairly common knowledge even to those that just paint a simple fence. The quality of the end product is how you prepare the foundation. The best clear or paint means Nothing with a crap primer or prepared surface.

well put my friend

#10210 2 years ago

Oh man, just had the best game of Pinball I ever played!

Lost a 30 million Jackpot the last couple notes of Paradise City ...

That was after I loaded up 6 balls on the guitar neck in a power chord

What a friggin adrenaline rush!!!!

This game is like the Matrix, the more you play, the better your shots get and you start to see the code

#10211 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

This isn’t pinball, dude. This is pinside.

#10212 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Sounds like you need to get on the Night Train, Choo Choo!

8945997C-2AE2-414F-94E5-36474E556DD0.jpeg8945997C-2AE2-414F-94E5-36474E556DD0.jpeg
#10213 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Oh man, just had the best game of Pinball I ever played!
Lost a 30 million Jackpot the last couple notes of Paradise City ...
That was after I loaded up 6 balls on the guitar neck in a power chord
What a friggin adrenaline rush!!!!
This game is like the Matrix, the more you play, the better your shots get and you start to see the code

What was the payout on that?

#10214 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I purchased adhesive carbon fiber post ring discs from Cliffy and while we all wanted perfect playfields this is something I can live with as a way to stop the damage and have a cohesive look on the playfield.
http://www.passionforpinball.com/WIP/jp_cf_post.jpg
As a person who loves playing the games, I sought out a solution I can live with in order to keep enjoying my purchase.

zaphX how many of each size did you order, or does he sell as a set? My LE is shipping today, ordered 9-Oct (launch +4).

#10215 2 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

zaphX how many of each size did you order, or does he sell as a set? My LE is shipping today, ordered 9-Oct (launch +4).

I ordered 10 large and 20 small - I wanted to have them in my pinball toolbox.

I’ve used 5 small ones.

#10216 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Sounds like you need to get on the Night Train, Choo Choo!
[quoted image]

That’s one for you and two for me, lol.

#10217 2 years ago

Just FYI...if you put a down payment on a JJP game it is non-refundable (I knew that), but it is also non-transferable. Therefore, if you come on hard times (lose your job, health expenses, whatever), it’s your problem. So, either you walk away from your deposit or you pay for the game and try to recoup your money by selling it. I’m a little disappointed in JJP with how they wash their hands of this once they have your money...and this is showing in QC too. Oh, and since it’s non-transferable, I assume the warranty won’t transfer as well.

#10218 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Just FYI...if you put a down payment on a JJP game it is non-refundable (I knew that), but it is also non-transferable. Therefore, if you come on hard times (lose your job, health expenses, whatever), it’s your problem. So, either you walk away from your deposit or you pay for the game and try to recoup your money by selling it. I’m a little disappointed in JJP with how they wash their hands of this once they have your money...and this is showing in QC too. Oh, and since it’s non-transferable, I assume the warranty won’t transfer as well.

Kind of depends on how you placed your deposit. I had one Non-refundable with Stern and just didn't feel right about it so I simply did a charge back on the card showing known issue concerns. Refunded without question.

#10219 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Says al o t about the direction this company is heading ,, not transferable or refunded let alone issues , alot of us have been waiting since day 1 , way to go JJP ,, I doubt they care less

#10220 2 years ago
Quoted from john17a:

Says al o t about the direction this company is heading ,, not transferable or refunded let alone issues , alot of us have been waiting since day 1 , way to go JJP ,, I doubt they care less

I actually had a buyer lined up. All JJP had to do was change the name on the spot and the shipping address...very easy. But they washed their hands of this. Basically said, you bought the spot, now you’re stuck with it no matter what. I will probably just walk away from my $1000. Better that then $10000. I’m worried that if I take delivery and sell it NIB, there may be a problem that needs the warranty that I wasn’t aware of. I assume the warranty won’t transfer, so this individual that buys it is screwed...and I won’t do that to anyone else.

#10221 2 years ago

It's possible you and the buyer can work it out without JjP and still have your warranty ... You could simply tell JJP you moved and give the buyers address as the new shipping address. The buyer can assume your name identity only should any warranty come up.
It's not like there's much chance of this not working as long as both parties are understanding, imo.

#10222 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I assume the warranty won’t transfer, so this individual that buys it is screwed...and I won’t do that to anyone else.

This is exactly why JJP won’t let you off the hook. They want you to sell it so it has no warranty and it’s one less machine to deal with. JJP has really turned into Jersey Jackasses. Even the $1000 increase seems like a calculated move so that current GnR owners would not take the buy back program because it would cost them $1000 more now to replace their machine with a new one, making the buy back less attractive. Seems like Jersey Jack is spending more time and effort screwing customers than attempting to fix playfields. Unbelievable, unacceptable and unforgivable. I use to be a fanboy of JJP, but they just dug their own grave.

#10223 2 years ago
Quoted from Mahoneyj:

What was the payout on that?

Went from being a 50 million game plus to just over 20

I let out a big Noooooooooooo - Like Darth Vader - not OG Darth but the dumb new one

#10224 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Went from being a 50 million game plus to just over 20
I let out a big Noooooooooooo - Like Darth Vader - not OG Darth but the dumb new one

I was too greedy and left 25m jackpot on the table tonight. Just could not stop and I should have.

#10225 2 years ago
Quoted from Mahoneyj:

I was too greedy and left 25m jackpot on the table tonight. Just could not stop and I should have.

My biggest squandered loss so far is 54M. It hurts so good.

#10226 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I actually had a buyer lined up. All JJP had to do was change the name on the spot and the shipping address...very easy. But they washed their hands of this. Basically said, you bought the spot, now you’re stuck with it no matter what. I will probably just walk away from my $1000. Better that then $10000. I’m worried that if I take delivery and sell it NIB, there may be a problem that needs the warranty that I wasn’t aware of. I assume the warranty won’t transfer, so this individual that buys it is screwed...and I won’t do that to anyone else.

It's my experience JJP will honor the warranty.

I have told the directly I'm not original owner and they always took care of me.
Even after warranty was years past they still bent over backwards to take care of any issues I had.
They are definitely trustworthy.
I'm also a big fan of their pinball machines.

This is the way

#10227 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

It's my experience JJP will honor the warranty.
I have told the directly I'm not original owner and they always took care of me.
Even after warranty was years past they still bent over backwards to take care of any issues I had.
They are definitely trustworthy.
I'm also a big fan of their pinball machines.
This is the way

Ok...that’s Mandalorian....so a Stern.... Seriously, I am hoping you are correct on this machine, but the quite frank discussion I had with Jen about the easy transfer (and that is a hard no go), it gives me pause as to what else is a no go. I hope I am wrong on the warranty, but the non-transferable is solid...from Jen.

#10228 2 years ago

How could that possibly hurt them? They still get the same $ and deliver the machine the same. Just a different name on the invoice.

I'd think that would be illegal.

#10229 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

How could that possibly hurt them? They still get the same $ and deliver the machine the same.

That’s what I and the buyer thought...but Jen said it wasn’t her problem and the game was in my name and would remain in my name. I was really looking forward to my first JJP, and the playfield issues did give me pause, but the way the company handles all of this QC and other issues (transfer of spots), let’s me know I don’t really want to deal with JJP right now. I hope this changes...it’s just disappointing. Just FYI...I was selling my spot for $1000...I wasn’t looking to make any profit or “flip” a $9500 spot.

#10230 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Ok...that’s Mandalorian....so a Stern.... Seriously, I am hoping you are correct on this machine, but the quite frank discussion I had with Jen about the easy transfer (and that is a hard no go), it gives me pause as to what else is a no go. I hope I am wrong on the warranty, but the non-transferable is solid...from Jen.

Yes can't help but drop the Mando looks fun.

You'll be fine just sell some pins and pay for GNR

I'm just stating they have always been amazing to me.
Have a Wonka LE playfield new in box do to some issues.

I enjoy Stern as well

#10231 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Yes can't help but drop the Mando looks fun.
You'll be fine just sell some pins and pay for GNR
I'm just stating they have always been amazing to me.
Have a Wonka LE playfield new in box do to some issues.
I enjoy Stern as well

I’ve decided I’m out on GNR. Hopefully I get my first JJP in the future, but not right now. To those that love their JJP...I’m not throwing any shade, just not for me right now.

#10232 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I’ve decided I’m out on GNR. Hopefully I get my first JJP in the future, but not right now. To those that love their JJP...I’m not throwing any shade, just not for me right now.

Sorry to hear that.
Be well and pin on.

#10233 2 years ago

My distributor notified me that my GNR LE is shipping this week, ordered on December 15th. Game is paid in full, can't wait to receive this masterpiece and bolt on all of the Lior mods I've been stockpiling. Hoping for no issues, but either way, I plan to address all trouble areas before playing a single ball. It's been a long time since I had a GNR (Data East) in the lineup and I have a feeling this JJP is going to blow me away. I'm ready for the @#%*&% jungle baby!

#10234 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

If I were you I'd sell for 1000 now to someone and once ready to ship change address to the buyers. Then they can pay the balance to me. It can stay in my name for the warranty. No problem. JJP will never know the difference.

If I was the buyer and could save a grand but had to have it in someone name but was my address for parts, etc ... It's a done deal in a new York second.

No way am I losing a thousand when it's easy to arrange like that....

#10235 2 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

My distributor notified me that my GNR LE is shipping this week, ordered on December 15th. Game is paid in full, can't wait to receive this masterpiece and bolt on all of the Lior mods I've been stockpiling. Hoping for no issues, but either way, I plan to address all trouble areas before playing a single ball. It's been a long time since I had a GNR (Data East) in the lineup and I have a feeling this JJP is going to blow me away. I'm ready for the @#%*&% jungle baby!

That's exciting. I think that's the latest date I've seen here. I'm 12/30 but I'm in the mofo JJP line...

#10236 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

If I were you I'd sell for 1000 now to someone and once ready to ship change address to the buyers. Then they can pay the balance to me. It can stay in my name for the warranty. No problem. JJP will never know the difference.
If I was the buyer and could save a grand but had to have it in someone name but was my address for parts, etc ... It's a done deal in a new York second.
No way am I losing a thousand when it's easy to arrange like that....

Why can’t it be more on the level. All this back sided stuff just feels wrong and unnecessary.
Common denominator is JJP. Very sad.

#10237 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Why can’t it be more on the level. All this back sided stuff just feels wrong and unnecessary.
Common denominator is JJP. Very sad.

Guess this really doesn't make sense to me. From my understanding, the day it arrives the Owner of the pin registers the game, number, and identification and that triggers the warranty. (for what that worth lol). When JJP ships 30 games to a distributor they have no Clue who the owner is or how long it sat dormant at the distributor Till the game is registered. I have never had an issue with JJP on this or Stern personally. You may need to complete the purchase so they Know its paid for but outside of that I doubt they give a whoop who owns it.

Should Note. I Did however have a similar issue when buying a Stern LE or JJP CE. Those they will rarely let you pass off. Mine they wouldn't.

#10238 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Guess this really doesn't make sense to me. From my understanding, the day it arrives the Owner of the pin registers the game, number, and identification and that triggers the warranty. (for what that worth lol). When JJP ships 30 games to a distributor they have no Clue who the owner is or how long it sat dormant at the distributor Till the game is registered. I have never had an issue with JJP on this or Stern personally. You may need to complete the purchase so they Know its paid for but outside of that I doubt they give a whoop who owns it.
Should Note. I Did however have a similar issue when buying a Stern LE or JJP CE. Those they will rarely let you pass off. Mine they wouldn't.

I see your point. But it’s $1000 vs. $10000 out of my pocket for the gamble. Just not willing to stomach that. Know when to hold them, know when to fold them, and know when to run...as a wise man said.

#10239 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I see your point. But it’s $1000 vs. $10000 out of my pocket for the gamble. Just not willing to stomach that. Know when to hold them, know when to fold them, and know when to run...as a wise man said.

You need to do what you are comfortable No question. IF however you were in at the 9500 price I personally would buy and flip the next day for 11 like everyone else.

#10240 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

My GNR playfield isn’t chipping or pooling. It’s build date is 1994. Just sayin
[quoted image]

Kryptonite playfield coatings....

1 (resized).png1 (resized).png
#10241 2 years ago

Yeah it’s sad I’m not worried about my GNR that’s almost 30 years old but I need to put baby diapers on the JJP NIB GNR before I play a single ball on it. Whackness!

#10242 2 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Wow, that was a big jump for JJP to already reach mid December orders. Does this mean their manufacturing is accelerating?

#10243 2 years ago

Reading the thread, it’s been interesting learning about the lack of good consumer protection laws in the US. Here in New Zealand, and quite a few other countries, if there was a significant fault with a product, the distributor and/or the manufacturer would have to repair or replace, and if that’s not possible, fully refund. That wouldn’t be good news for the local distributors, as they would be your first point of recourse - they would have to make things good, regardless of whether they could recoup things from the manufacturer or not.

In addition, the manufacturer’s warranty is really only a starting point. Essentially the distributor and/or manufacturer has to provide a warranty for a reasonable period. What is reasonable is up to the judgement of the courts, and takes into account factors such as the nature of the product and cost. A TV could be 3 years+ for example, and a pinball machine, maybe 5 years+.

#10244 2 years ago
Quoted from Zanado:

Reading the thread, it’s been interesting learning about the lack of good consumer protection laws in the US. Here in New Zealand, and quite a few other countries, if there was a significant fault with a product, the distributor and/or the manufacturer would have to repair or replace, and if that’s not possible, fully refund. That wouldn’t be good news for the local distributors, as they would be your first point of recourse - they would have to make things good, regardless of whether they could recoup things from the manufacturer or not.
In addition, the manufacturer’s warranty is really only a starting point. Essentially the distributor and/or manufacturer has to provide a warranty for a reasonable period. What is reasonable is up to the judgement of the courts, and takes into account factors such as the nature of the product and cost. A TV could be 3 years+ for example, and a pinball machine, maybe 5 years+.

California has some protection laws, so JJP will not be off the hook here no matter what warranty they wrote

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-20151211-column.html

“ Under California’s Lemon Law, manufacturers of most household electronic goods that sell for more than $100 have to provide spare parts for up to seven years, regardless of warranty status.”

#10245 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

That’s what I and the buyer thought...but Jen said it wasn’t her problem and the game was in my name and would remain in my name. I was really looking forward to my first JJP, and the playfield issues did give me pause, but the way the company handles all of this QC and other issues (transfer of spots), let’s me know I don’t really want to deal with JJP right now. I hope this changes...it’s just disappointing. Just FYI...I was selling my spot for $1000...I wasn’t looking to make any profit or “flip” a $9500 spot.

i had the same experience with Jen ,,,, this company was entirely different when Jack had control

#10246 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Mate , don't throw away your deposit .
Wait for your game and sell it nib .
Lots of people have no issues and have perfect playfields .
Even if you had an issue with your Playfield , it's not like jjp is gonna do anything about it anyway .
Just like people paying 38 k for NIB potc ce , buyer beware .

#10247 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You need to do what you are comfortable No question. IF however you were in at the 9500 price I personally would buy and flip the next day for 11 like everyone else.

Sell your game off Pinside for a profit, where people know about these widespread issues.

This is where we’re at.

#10248 2 years ago
48B80ABF-AAB7-4C22-B0CC-A3B8ECF543ED (resized).png48B80ABF-AAB7-4C22-B0CC-A3B8ECF543ED (resized).png
#10249 2 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

[quoted image]

Skyemont, where in midlothian are you? I am in salisbury.

#10250 2 years ago

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 49.99
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Chaska, MN
$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 210.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
There are 28,086 posts in this topic. You are on page 205 of 562.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/205?hl=rolls-royce and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.