IMG_20240413_155856 (resized).jpg
IMG_1426 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_2636.gif
IMG_2002 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg
1C8AE00A-E658-441F-8C85-35F46CC105C1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3148 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 28,336 posts in this topic. You are on page 184 of 567.
#9151 2 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

“Rocket Queen” ain’t about a spaceflight fangirl…

Exactly. That play field graphic specifically pays homage to that song. It has to be one of the best on this pin...

For those that have hundreds of games in and been through all the songs on the pin, I'd love to see everyone's list of songs in order of best to worst in terms of the full pin experience while playing... For me I don't have much time in and haven't played all the songs but rocket queen is a contender for a top spot.

#9152 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Exactly. That play field graphic specifically pays homage to that song. It has to be one of the best on this pin...
For those that have hundreds of games in and been through all the songs on the pin, I'd love to see everyone's list of songs in order of best to worst in terms of the full pin experience while playing... For me I don't have much time in and haven't played all the songs but rocket queen is a contender for a top spot.

1.November Rain
2.Sweet Child O Mine
3.Nightrain

Are my 3 favs for sure. November Rain gets pretty intense later in the song

#9153 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Couple days on my RMA from contact to shipping, should be here in a couple days

I believe I put in my warranty request shortly before you did. I have a package arriving from JJP via UPS today that I suspect are my replacement lights. So yours should be arriving soon.

#9154 2 years ago
Quoted from greeneye:

1.November Rain
2.Sweet Child O Mine
3.Nightrain
Are my 3 favs for sure. November Rain gets pretty intense later in the song

Blew a 4 million Nightrain jackpot last night. Great light show for sure!

#9155 2 years ago

In regards to the vertical failures on the spotlights, I received this message today from JJP.

“Not many issues with the horizontal movement. The missing servo (mounting) screws and the limits they are being pushed to when initializing them seem to be the issues with the vertical movement.
The engineers are addressing the issues.”

Sounds like a code update is needed to limit the movement. This issue is more than just a bad batch of servos. Way too many failures

#9156 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

In regards to the vertical failures on the spotlights, I received this message today from JJP.
“Not many issues with the horizontal movement. The missing servo (mounting) screws and the limits they are being pushed to when initializing them seem to be the issues with the vertical movement.
Sounds like a code update is needed to limit the movement. This issue is more than just a bad batch of servos. Way too many failures

On my pin, the vertical arms on both lights broke within 5 days. I know they were working fine when I received my pin because I tested them out before I even played a game. 5 days later I was testing things out again and noticed that the left one was not moving as described. Then I checked the right spot light and it also was not moving as expected.

I have learned to test everything when I receive my pin and then around a week later, go back and test things again so that I can find issues while they are under warranty and fix things before they become a bigger issue. Things break. It is a new feature and I want to make sure everything is working as it is designed to.

#9157 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If you already tried the shorting pins 16/17 on the power adapter, the power jumper short might not work. If it doesn't, you need to do the CMOS clear when powered off (which is just two points on the board, no pins) then try the power jumper again with the machine already turned on.

I checked inside the cabinet on left side by coin door. It shows a suspicious loose yellow wire. Any idea where this wire belongs?? Could this be why my machine won't power/boot????

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9158 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Missing screws? Not sure what that means.
But if software engineering is needed to control and limit the movement of the servos to be within specific ranges, until the software comes out to limit, would it be recommended to unplug the spotlights as would they eventually always break until the software update?

#9159 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

But if software engineering is needed to control and limit the movement of the servos to be within specific ranges, until the software comes out to limit, would it be recommended to unplug the spotlights as would they eventually always break until the software update?

I wish people would stop panicking and talking about unplugging the spotlights. This is moronic.

There is no confirmed link between code and spotlight death.
The servos just die sometimes as I've confirmed in other hobbies that use them.

If the servo isn't screwed in, yeah I can see that causing a problem.

#9160 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Based on your comments, I might wait and see if they produce a code update to the spot lights before I install the replacements. I thought I read somewhere that they were looking to do this. Update the spot light code.

#9161 2 years ago

What makes you people think software is behind any of this?

- Do you see the spots overextend during bootup?
- Do you see the spots overextend during device test?
- Do you see the spots overextend during gameplay?

You know what, better to just unplug the entire game - that would be safest!

#9162 2 years ago
Quoted from Jdlana:

I checked inside the cabinet on left side by coin door. It shows a suspicious loose yellow wire. Any idea where this wire belongs?? Could this be why my machine won't power/boot????[quoted image]

I don't think that has anything to do with your machine not booting.

So CMOS clear and then PWR jumper did not get you back in business?

If not, I'd talk to Barry at JJP and see if maybe you have a defective/flaky ATX power supply.

#9163 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

How do you translate that into a code problem?

#9164 2 years ago
Quoted from Jdlana:

I checked inside the cabinet on left side by coin door. It shows a suspicious loose yellow wire. Any idea where this wire belongs??

It goes nowhere. Not used.

Quoted from Jdlana:

Could this be why my machine won't power/boot????

No. Call Barry.

LTG : )

#9165 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

The quoted message said engineering, not software engineering.
To me that implies physical assembly.

I had one servo burn out, replaced it, and it has been fine since.
If the software were telling it to overextend, wouldn't it die again?

But hey if you want to disable features you paid to get, you be you.

#9166 2 years ago

finally getting the hang of this game and how to score. Just beat my previous GC by 5 times and hit 25m. yay. Love that moment after getting a new game and struggling and then it finally clicks with you. That was fun for sure.

Also. I typically play pinball with the lights on since I have trouble seeing the ball here and there. Tho I just got GnR LE and Stranger things LE and have been playing with lights off and been fine. But wasnt prepared for the game going completely dark at moments in some songs and lost a ball. So need tokeep the lights on just a bit i think...

20210505_195056370_iOS (resized).jpg20210505_195056370_iOS (resized).jpg
#9167 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Missing screws is in reference to the 2 screws that mount the servo the the assembly. Mine were actually missing on my right side and I guess this has been reported a few time. Without the screws the servo may not align correctly and add additional stress to the linkage

#9168 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

How do you translate that into a code problem?

They will need to send shorter pulses to the servo to limit the movement. Right now it seems they are moving too much and if not properly calibrated at the time of install, could result in stress on the linkage. That is why the horizontal ones are not failing. They don’t have any linkage attached so there is more room for error. Either it needs to be fixed through programming or a stronger linkage or higher quality servo will need to be installed. This is my interpretation of my conversation.

#9169 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

They will need to send shorter pulses to the servo to limit the movement. Right now it seems they are moving too much and if not properly calibrated at the time of install, could result in stress on the linkage. That is why the horizontal ones are not failing. They don’t have any linkage attached so there is more room for error. Either it needs to be fixed through programming or a stronger linkage or higher quality servo will need to be installed. This is my interpretation of my conversation.

"Properly calibrated" simply means "centered correctly at assembly time." Not software.

Again, if the "pulses were the wrong length" don't you think we'd see ALL spotlights die, consistently?
And we'd also see them overextending, which we don't.

Use logic.

#9170 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

They will need to send shorter pulses to the servo to limit the movement. Right now it seems they are moving too much and if not properly calibrated at the time of install, could result in stress on the linkage or stress on the servo. That is why the horizontal ones are not failing. They don’t have any linkage attached so there is more room for error. Either it needs to be fixed through programming or a stronger linkage or higher quality servo will need to be installed. This is my interpretation of my conversation.

#9171 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

"Properly calibrated" simply means "centered correctly at assembly time." Not software.
Again, if the "pulses were the wrong length" don't you think we'd see ALL spotlights die, consistently?
And we'd also see them overextending, which we don't.
Use logic.

They are all dying. All vertical. I wonder what percentage of people have had this issue.

#9172 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

They are all dying. All vertical. I wonder what percentage of people have had this issue.

This is bullshit. Unplug your game. And your internet connection.

#9173 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

finally getting the hang of this game and how to score. Just beat my previous GC by 5 times and hit 25m. yay. Love that moment after getting a new game and struggling and then it finally clicks with you. That was fun for sure.
Also. I typically play pinball with the lights on since I have trouble seeing the ball here and there. Tho I just got GnR LE and Stranger things LE and have been playing with lights off and been fine. But wasnt prepared for the game going completely dark at moments in some songs and lost a ball. So need tokeep the lights on just a bit i think...[quoted image]

The only game i can paly in the dark is AFMrmLE. It has glow in the dark rubbers and protectors and is absolutely stunning getting strobe multi in the dark. Love that machine.

I am around (bit under) your old scoring, i've been trying different approaches to the same shots in the game and feel like i am making progress at not losing the ball in the same ways, but haven't seen a scoring increase yet on the top end. Maybe a little progress in average scores and a lot of progress on bottom end scores from my usual send it back up flailing.

Biggest ball saver for me has been reading here about backhanding the left ramp, many more balls kept in play by shooting the spinner from the right flipper instead of left ramp.

I still don't know what shots hit who except Frank and Dizzy. I have no fucking idea if i've ever earned a patch through anything except mystery or which ones i have earned or what they do.

#9174 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I understand you will defend this game to your death. It’s ok to admit there is a problem. It’s not just a few bad servos. It’s too widespread.

#9175 2 years ago

Quoted from zaphX:This is bullshit. Unplug your game. And your internet connection.

And lock your door from the inside

Say what you really think zaphX

#9176 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I wish people would stop panicking and talking about unplugging the spotlights. This is moronic.
There is no confirmed link between code and spotlight death.
The servos just die sometimes as I've confirmed in other hobbies that use them.
If the servo isn't screwed in, yeah I can see that causing a problem.

I just unplugged my entire game just to be safe between spotlights, playfield pooling, hot coils etc

#9177 2 years ago

Put on some more mod love ...from Britemods

These look way better in person It's hard to capture the true red color on a cell phone camera

These buttons feel really good too, no squeaks, solid contact and no hang ups on the button release

20210505_152258 (resized).jpg20210505_152258 (resized).jpg
#9178 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

ZaphX unchained.

banner_transform.gifbanner_transform.gif
#9179 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

The only game i can paly in the dark is AFMrmLE. It has glow in the dark rubbers and protectors and is absolutely stunning getting strobe multi in the dark. Love that machine.
I am around (bit under) your old scoring, i've been trying different approaches to the same shots in the game and feel like i am making progress at not losing the ball in the same ways, but haven't seen a scoring increase yet on the top end. Maybe a little progress in average scores and a lot of progress on bottom end scores from my usual send it back up flailing.
Biggest ball saver for me has been reading here about backhanding the left ramp, many more balls kept in play by shooting the spinner from the right flipper instead of left ramp.
I still don't know what shots hit who except Frank and Dizzy. I have no fucking idea if i've ever earned a patch through anything except mystery or which ones i have earned or what they do.

Yea i finally know where the shots are for each band member. And progressing through songs with power chords seem to be the way to score. You get ab encore if you finish a song for more points. I believe I got 12m on live or let die alone if i remember right.

The left ramp is tough. I prefer going from the right flipper and its really late on the flipper to hit it. But if I miss I know its a possible drain.....have to be ready on the rebound and its so damn close its pretty tough.

#9180 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Put on some more mod love ...from Britemods
These look way better in person It's hard to capture the true red color on a cell phone camera
These buttons feel really good too, no squeaks, solid contact and no hang ups on the button release[quoted image]

I do not have any pins with light up flipper buttons yet. I might have to try those.

I see that they sell several models. Do you remember which model you purchased?

#9181 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

I understand you will defend this game to your death. It’s ok to admit there is a problem. It’s not just a few bad servos. It’s too widespread.

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

I propose that you guys settle temporarily by letting my motor test decide how widespread it is.

LE # 264, so early run. 519 total games played, sio not thrashed, but not ignored either.

Just ran a test on spotties so who wants to back the result?

#9182 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Been playing non stop for over 2 months. Nothing happening here. sometimes things break and plastic is known not to be as strong as metal.

#9183 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

[quoted image]
I propose that you guys settle temporarily by letting my motor test decide how widespread it is.
LE # 264, so early run. 519 total games played, sio not thrashed, but not ignored either.
Just ran a test on spotties so who wants to back the result?

I’m not sure what there is to settle. Just hopeful that JJP can come up with a solution to this issue, whether it be from a programming standpoint or quality of parts. I think everyone is on the same team and I will say the customer service from JJP is top notch.

#9184 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Of course there is a problem. Servos die. We don't have ANY indication that this is a SOFTWARE problem. I think it's irresponsible for you to suggest otherwise and scare people into unplugging things and bugging the software team for an update they aren't likely to make.

If the software was at fault we'd have 100% failure across the board which we do NOT have.

Proof? My right servo is original and still fine. The left vertical one died once, I replaced it, fine ever since.

3200 plays.

#9185 2 years ago

If you don't think servos fail, this person had a model plane crash due to servo failure.
It's just the way of things.

We are flipping our shit here about a part that costs between $4.82 (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-hk15148b-digital-servo-2-8kg-0-14sec-19g.html) and $9.99 (https://emaxmodel.com/products/emax-es3054-17g-3-5kg-0-13sec-23t-metal-gear-digital-servo-for-rc-airplane-es3154-upgrade)

Buy some spares. Enjoy your game. Quit freaking out and worrying about what-ifs.

#9186 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Of course there is a problem. Servos die. We don't have ANY indication that this is a SOFTWARE problem. I think it's irresponsible for you to suggest otherwise and scare people into unplugging things and bugging the software team for an update they aren't likely to make.
If the software was at fault we'd have 100% failure across the board which we do NOT have.
Proof? My right servo is original and still fine. The left vertical one died once, I replaced it, fine ever since.
3200 plays.

Ok bud. Enjoy your game.

#9187 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Ok bud. Enjoy your game.

I do! A lot. And I enjoy the spotlights.

#9188 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

I’m not sure what there is to settle. Just hopeful that JJP can come up with a solution to this issue, whether it be from a programming standpoint or quality of parts. I think everyone is on the same team and I will say the customer service from JJP is top notch.

How widespread it is. One of the points of contention.

Sample size of one, but a bit of a harmless, fun way to settle such a minor dispute.

And i didn't know before i did the test as haven't looked up for a couple months.

#9189 2 years ago

Who suggested unplugging servos in the first place anyway? Sheesh. Let's Ban that guy! Oops who knew?? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #pinlove

#9190 2 years ago

I had both spotlights break their linkage, talked to 2 different guys at JJP. Neither one of them blamed the linkage they blamed the servos, said they got a bad batch of them in. I have received both replacements and they are definitely different than what I had in the game, they move much better and sound better. They have also been running great since I installed them, take that for what it’s worth.

#9191 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoderboy:

I had both spotlights break their linkage, talked to 2 different guys at JJP. Neither one of them blamed the linkage they blamed the servos, said they got a bad batch of them in. I have received both replacements and they are definitely different than what I had in the game, they move much better and sound better. They have also been running great since I installed them, take that for what it’s worth.

That’s great news. I’ve been trying to see if I can find replacement linkages online but no luck so far. Maybe I’m searching under the wrong terminology or maybe they are made specifically for this application. Any idea what brand servos they sent you and what brand your stock ones were?

#9193 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

That’s great news. I’ve been trying to see if I can find replacement linkages online but no luck so far. Maybe I’m searching under the wrong terminology or maybe they are made specifically for this application. Any idea what brand servos they sent you and what brand your stock ones were?

The stock servos were a DGservo S05NF STD, and the new ones are a hobby king HK 15148B. I cannot stress enough how much better the new servos move on both of the axis.

#9194 2 years ago

It’s just that from what I’ve read here and JJP confirming that the issue has been with the vertical servos and not the horizontal. This leads me to think it is a mechanical problem, likely with the linkage possibly restricting movement and causing either the linkage to break or the servo to burn. I never said it was a code issue, but maybe a change in programming could fix it. I’m not a programmer. I also didn’t mean to turn you into madzaphX. I like happyzaphX much better

#9195 2 years ago

Replacement spot lights arrived!

B7109983-7509-4CB5-982B-1D9F7CFC6430 (resized).jpegB7109983-7509-4CB5-982B-1D9F7CFC6430 (resized).jpeg
#9196 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoderboy:

The stock servos were a DGservo S05NF STD, and the new ones are a hobby king HK 15148B. I cannot stress enough how much better the new servos move on both of the axis.

My stock ones are HobbyKing Corona CS238MG.

#9197 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

I’m not a programmer.

I am

Quoted from Mattyk:

I also didn’t mean to turn you into madzaphX. I like happyzaphX much better

Sorry I flew off the handle, you are fine. I'm just saying, I don't think software has shit all to do with this issue. From my research into the RC servo world when sourcing a replacement, it just seems like they are wear items with hit or miss quality.

I think it's unfair to lay speculative blame on the code when we've seen no evidence of the code misbehaving.

#9198 2 years ago

Well, aside from the wifi debacle......

#9199 2 years ago

I just had to take one of the servos apart to see how they where made and I can tell you, there is a reason why they are only $5. I think it would be wise if we all would do what zaphX has done and buy a few replacements for down the road when our warranty runs out

#9200 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I am

Sorry I flew off the handle, you are fine. I'm just saying, I don't think software has shit all to do with this issue. From my research into the RC servo world when sourcing a replacement, it just seems like they are wear items with hit or miss quality.
I think it's unfair to lay speculative blame on the code when we've seen no evidence of the code misbehaving.

Point of order. No blame of code or misbehaving code had been implied to me or from me. Just the consideration or curiosity that could some additional code controlling servos with tighter parameters specifically could help extend the life? Maybe it's not realistic, or possible... Somebody would know. It's not me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mohawk, NY
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

7,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Crestview, FL
$ 11,000.00
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 210.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

There are 28,336 posts in this topic. You are on page 184 of 567.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/184?hl=yoderboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.