Screenshot_20240314-145241 (resized).png
IMG_2284.gif
giphy.gif
Key-Visual-825x466 (resized).jpg
tom_segura (resized).jpg
PXL_20240313_221935371 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240313_222206086~2 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 27,994 posts in this topic. You are on page 176 of 560.
#8751 2 years ago
Quoted from lpgnr:

Thanks. I see no issues with my switches when I lift the play field.

No black wire hanging loose by any of them ? Especially the upper playfield one ?

Then check connector J601-1 to be sure it is plugged onto the I/O board in the backbox. That is the longest board back there with all the fuses on it.

LTG : )

#8752 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It looks like they are all on the same connector - first thing I'd do is check in the backbox and make sure that connector J601 is well seated.

Thanks. I reseated the connector, and the bad switches still come up.

#8753 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No black wire hanging loose by any of them ? Especially the upper playfield one ?
Then check connector J601-1 to be sure it is plugged onto the I/O board in the backbox. That is the longest board back there with all the fuses on it.

None. No loose black wire on any of them. Do you have any other thoughts or possibilities? I really appreciate your help!

#8754 2 years ago
Quoted from lpgnr:

Thanks. I reseated the connector, and the bad switches still come up.

Next you'd need a meter to check continuity of the wires from the EOS switches to J601. You have a broken wire somewhere.

Did you check the EOS wiring on the upper flipper ?

#8755 2 years ago
Quoted from lpgnr:

None. No loose black wire on any of them. Do you have any other thoughts or possibilities? I really appreciate your help!

While switch test mode is on the screen, if you manually close any of the flipper EOS switches with your finger, does it trigger on screen?

#8756 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

This. I've learned so many useful things from Lloyd The Great.

I was wondering what “LTG” stood for

#8757 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

While switch test mode is on the screen, if you manually close the switch with your finger, does it trigger on screen?

It does not.

#8758 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Excellent.
You've already grown some in your pinball experience.
In the future this may at least help things seem less intimidating if they pop up.

Agreed. The best way of learning is by doing . . . Although I don’t want to further break my expensive game, if it can be avoided

#8759 2 years ago
Quoted from lpgnr:

Old video game initials from 1975 that got a life of their own.

#8760 2 years ago
Quoted from lpgnr:

Although I don’t want to further break my expensive game, if it can be avoided

Understood. If you have a tech of knowledgeable friend to help you. Don't get in their way. But spectate and ask a few questions.

You'll be fine.

#8761 2 years ago
Quoted from lpgnr:

It does not.

Please try again. Tests - Switches - Dedicated - move each flipper bat back and forth. See if any, especially the upper playfield ones, register on the screen.

Thank you.

#8762 2 years ago
Quoted from lpgnr:

It does not.

I don't know what visibility is like, but see if there's a loose black wire at the upper playfield flipper EOS switch. That upper flipper EOS registers okay, but it's the only one. Maybe the break is after that point and is preventing the other 3 from working.

#8763 2 years ago

Should this wire be connected? I wonder if this is the culprit . . .

CF67E502-A2EB-4C7F-B22C-D30EEC7E161B (resized).jpegCF67E502-A2EB-4C7F-B22C-D30EEC7E161B (resized).jpeg
#8764 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Whats the best way to get up the left ramp all the way? I dont feel like the backhand will get it up there often, and coming from the right flipper its very dangerous. I just had my first real good game 5.8m and 3 of my drains were trying to go up that left ramp.... I am plus 1 on each of my bottom flippers.
thanks!

I backhand that ramp all day. I’ll even post pass from the right flipper to get it over to the left.

Bump up your flipper strength by 2.

#8765 2 years ago
Quoted from lpgnr:

Should this wire be connected? I wonder if this is the culprit . . .

This one circled in red ? Please let me know which flipper it is by and I'll let you know.

bca62f19d53f29f38ec06537a56c58b15385dab1 (resized).jpgbca62f19d53f29f38ec06537a56c58b15385dab1 (resized).jpg
#8766 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

This one circled in red ? Please let me know which flipper it is by and I'll let you know.
[quoted image]

No, it is right above it. There are two black wires above your circle, and the upper one is not attached. This is for the upper flipper.

#8767 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I backhand that ramp all day. I’ll even post pass from the right flipper to get it over to the left.
Bump up your flipper strength by 2.

Just the left? Or are you plus 2 on both?

#8768 2 years ago
Quoted from lpgnr:

This is for the upper flipper.

I'll get you a picture shortly. It probably is your issue. I just want to be sure where it goes.

#8769 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Just the left? Or are you plus 2 on both?

I think I’m plus 2 on all 3 lower flippers. I can double check tomorrow.

#8770 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'll get you a picture shortly. It probably is your issue. I just want to be sure where it goes.

Thank you very much. The community support for this game has been incredible. Thank you to everyone here on Pinside!

#8771 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'll get you a picture shortly.

Not sure if you can see it good. Two black wires to the top lug of the EOS switch.

DSC00504 (resized).JPGDSC00504 (resized).JPG
#8772 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not sure if you can see it good. Two black wires to the top lug of the EOS switch.
LTG : )[quoted image]

That’s it! I have one wire just floating there. I just have to solder back onto the top lug to fix it, correct? That should take care of the bad switch tests?

#8773 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I'm in the same boat. The Appetite stand up is deadly. I watched a little of IE pinballs stream and he was going up with the right flipper...he did note that he lowered his flippers slightly from factory (flopped)...similar to Jurassic Park I'm assuming for making those side shots easier...I'm just gonna keep practicing but there is a definite narrow window of opportunity on that right flipper to not hit the dreaded Appetite standup and drain immediately versus going successfully up the ramp. I try to backhand it like the Death Star Ramp but it's really tough to time it perfect, you can do it if you hit it on the roll or a fast slap save...
It's a good challenge. I remember when the helicopter shot on JP was was nemesis..now I can hit that shot all day
I'd say the 3 hardest shots on GnR are : 1. Under the flipper - crowd 2. Left Ramp without draining 3. Left and right orbits when your panic flipping during a song

Well put

#8774 2 years ago
Quoted from lpgnr:

I just have to solder back onto the top lug to fix it, correct?

Yes.

Quoted from lpgnr:

That should take care of the bad switch tests?

Yes. They will clear during game play or if you check them in tests after you solder the wire on.

#8775 2 years ago
Quoted from lpgnr:

I just have to solder back onto the top lug to fix it, correct?

Since you might be new to this. Be sure your turn the game off to solder on the wire.

#8776 2 years ago

Definitely looks like a wire broke off where the green arrow is pointing.
EOS problem (resized).jpgEOS problem (resized).jpg

#8777 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Absolutely.

What I circled looked like a solder blob.

#8778 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

[quoted image]

Yes! That wire is definitely not attached.

#8779 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

This. I've learned so many useful things from Lloyd The Great.

I second that, Lloyd you’re Awsome !To Ipgnr, I was there last year just get loose n dive in .When you breakthrough it’s life changing .Remember theres nothing you can do that cannot be undone .

#8780 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes.

Yes. They will clear during game play or if you check them in tests after you solder the wire on.

Excellent! I am going to call my father-in-law, who is an expert at soldering, to take this across the finish line. We’ll make sure the game is off

Thanks again so much for all of your help!

(On a side note, I have family in Eagan, not too far from you

#8781 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Absolutely.
What I circled looked like a solder blob.

With the benefit of closeup, color correction, and shadow reduction, I think it's just a spiral in the wire you circled. I thought it was solder initially, too.

Quoted from lpgnr:

Yes! That wire is definitely not attached.

This is in the upper playfield flipper, right? That's why it was the first and last working EOS in the chain.

#8782 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I second that, Lloyd you’re Awsome !To Ipgnr, I was there last year just get loose n dive in .When you breakthrough it’s life changing .Remember theres nothing you can do that cannot be undone .

Yeah, I am really learning a lot. I appreciate the words of support!

#8783 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

With the benefit of closeup, color correction, and shadow reduction, I think it's just a spiral in the wire you circled. I thought it was solder initially, too.
This is in the upper playfield flipper, right? That's why it was the first and last working EOS in the chain.

Yes, upper playfield flipper, and it was a spiral (not the best picture). That is good to know.

#8784 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I watched a little of IE pinballs stream and he was going up with the right flipper...he did note that he lowered his flippers slightly from factory (flopped)...similar to Jurassic Park I'm assuming for making those side shots easier...

I put the flippers inline with the lane guides, not flopped, and I did it because I wanted to stop the backhand left ramp shot and to give more power to the orbit shots. Overall the shots simply feel better to me this way.

#8785 2 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

I put the flippers inline with the lane guides, not flopped, and I did it because I wanted to stop the backhand left ramp shot and to give more power to the orbit shots. Overall the shots simply feel better to me this way.

Come on you just wanted to shatz the AMP lane….

#8786 2 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

This.
If you can backhand the left ramp you can really exploit the patch rules. Especially when the ramp diverter is up or on the SE where the ramp returns to the slower inlane allowing you to trap it on the left flipper. Rinse + repeat.

#8787 2 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

I stand corrected, I misunderstood. Mine came from the factory as yours are setup now so I thought you changed them to something else...my bad... It was fascinating watching you play this game. In the vid you said you only had it a week, I was amazed at that ability to call shots, stream, instruct and still blow things up. First time I saw your vid...definitely will be watching more...but I had to look away as I don't want to spoil too much right now...but just some of the initial hints you were giving about what does what and why...for example the left diverter raising and lowering and why...I couldn't figure it out and after you pointed it out...makes total sense.

#8788 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Don't worry you've got this.

Unplug first?

#8789 2 years ago
Quoted from lpgnr:

Love That Guy

#8790 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Maybe something stuck in the switch? I think someone found a screw in there once. Maybe the switch needs a little bend to ride lower?
Here's a naked pic if it helps diagnose. I think I'd poke a magnet around where the wire switch is first. (check it from below too)
[quoted image]

That is correct. I found a screw wedged in the switch slot on my machine which locked up a ball regularly there. Removed said screw and never happened again after that.

#8791 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Funny. That is also where my AXE initials came from. First video game is finished with one credit was Golden Axe. So it stuck with me as well.

#8793 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Funny enough a few years ago when I first came across LTG, I thought it was some pinball or real life abbreviation, like LMAO. So I googled and got the result LEARN TO GOOGLE. I thought That wasn’t a very nice way to help someone out here lol.

#8794 2 years ago

Just a thought I'm sharing to see what others think... I suspect over time, the drop from the upper playfield to the hole under the upper flipper may start to dent the wood. What about putting one of these Silicone Rubber Bumpers over the mylar to prevent (Maybe even cut at a slight angle). Is it overkill or potentially useful?

https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=33&product_id=159

Titan (resized).jpegTitan (resized).jpeg

#8795 2 years ago

Beta 7 released today has more focus on keeping coils cool.

1619538256734336342511237900363 (resized).jpg1619538256734336342511237900363 (resized).jpg
#8796 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Come on you just wanted to shatz the AMP lane….

Ha! I've actually stopped exploiting the unlimited booster multiballs via the AMP lane. Those patches are very low on my priority list these days. Keeps the game more interesting only having one shot at them before each song.

#8797 2 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Beta 7 released today has more focus on keeping coils cool.
[quoted image]

Fixed bug that could keep spotlights moving after encore.... Hmmm. Possible source of broken spotlights? Over utilization could at least be a contributor to speed up failure even if it's not the true root cause.

#8798 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Fixed bug that could keep spotlights moving after encore.... Hmmm. Possible source of broken spotlights? Over utilization could at least be a contributor to speed up failure even if it's not the true root cause.

Near as I can tell the servos are just a wear item and the occasional bad part happens.
It does not seem to be specific to our use case; I saw a YouTube video of a guy whose model airplane crashed because a servo seized up.

I replaced the left vertical one myself, the servos are available at hobby shops and are cheap.
You do need to be careful to attach the arm with the servo and spotlight both in the center position.

I used this successfully:

https://www.hobbytown.com/emax-es3054-20g-metal-gear-digital-servo-emx-0102004012/p1127012

The OEM part was:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-hk15148b-digital-servo-2-8kg-0-14sec-19g.html

#8799 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Near as I can tell the servos are just a wear item and the occasional bad part happens.
It does not seem to be specific to our use case; I saw a YouTube video of a guy whose model airplane crashed because a servo seized up.
I replaced the left vertical one myself, the servos are available at hobby shops and are cheap.
You do need to be careful to attach the arm with the servo and spotlight both in the center position.
I used this successfully:
https://www.hobbytown.com/emax-es3054-20g-metal-gear-digital-servo-emx-0102004012/p1127012
The OEM part was:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-hk15148b-digital-servo-2-8kg-0-14sec-19g.html

Interesting and really good to know, I thought I read back in this thread that the engineers at JJP were sending out full assemblies instead of parts for the spotlights because they needed to be calibrated, have you found anything out of sync after centering them up post repair? Is the reason for centering them for this purpose or is it to prevent the arms from breaking. This would dfinitely be handy down the road

#8800 2 years ago

Well, I received LE #745 just over a week ago and have been busy playing non-stop!

Only issues thus far:
- A screw fell out of the upper playfield (top-most, left side) clear plastic mounted to two posts (took me over an hour before I finally found this bastard!)

- Last night I noticed my upper playfield and upper right flippers seem to only be working 70% of the time. Need to figure this out now. I've checked the wires that connect and they all seem securely soldered where they should be. All backbone connections are secure as well. Of course I checked just the ones that are plugged in... does someone have a picture of what the J601-1 connections look like in the backbox?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Long Beach, NY
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Concord, CA
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ardmore, PA
$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 210.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
There are 27,994 posts in this topic. You are on page 176 of 560.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/176 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.