image1 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
GnRAllenWrenchMod (resized).jpg
200w.gif
IMG_2222 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2652 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4454 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 28,387 posts in this topic. You are on page 169 of 568.
#8401 3 years ago

I ordered mine thru one of the bigger distributors on 10/16. Received yesterday.

#8402 3 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

I ordered mine thru one of the bigger distributors on 10/16. Received yesterday.

wow, you win! Nice....I ordered through a distributor as well...by the time I got through the "CEs are not available" back and forth and locked in my order it was 10/9 I believe....and still no game. You should be thrilled! Thanks to the others that also responded...hopefully I'll be getting an email soon to pay up!

#8403 3 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

The newer bolts have the washer "welded" to the threaded portion. It's a poor design. I've broken a few. If they're over tightened, it stresses the weld point and breaks. Get an actual high grade Allen head bolt like on the older William's flipper mecs. You'll never have another problem

Same here. Had a loose flipper on my CE early on. Tightened it like I have dozens of others over the years and snapped it.
Replaced it with and old one from a flipper rebuild and cranked it down - no further troubles

These newer versions are not the same quality

#8404 3 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Same here. Had a loose flipper on my CE early on. Tightened it like I have dozens of others over the years and snapped it.
Replaced it with and old one from a flipper rebuild and cranked it down - no further troubles

Add me to the list of overtightening and snapping the bolt. My distributor/JJP took care of me and sent out a couple replacements.

#8405 3 years ago

Apologies in advance if this has been answered already, but my game is auto-launching every ball and I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. Happens constantly, if the ball sits in the trough for a few seconds the game is gonna launch it. It used to happen a bit more intermittently but now it's constant. Any thoughts on how to correct this?

#8406 3 years ago
Quoted from PinHigh1:

The unboxing pictures are epic...thanks...looks like quite a few LE owners are starting to receive their orders. I'm curious....did those of you in the US that are receiving LEs over the last month or so order JJP direct or through a distributor? I bought an SE last year in the meantime to get a feel for the game, but traded that a couple months ago...starting to get the itch to play it again!!

Bought mine from CGE (JJ Babbich) Oct 8th. Received yesterday

#8407 3 years ago
Quoted from atg1469:

but my game is auto-launching every ball

I'd remove all the balls from the game and count them. Be sure there isn't one too many in it.

LTG : )

#8408 3 years ago
Quoted from atg1469:

Apologies in advance if this has been answered already, but my game is auto-launching every ball and I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. Happens constantly, if the ball sits in the trough for a few seconds the game is gonna launch it. It used to happen a bit more intermittently but now it's constant. Any thoughts on how to correct this?

If I’m reading this correctly, you’ll have a ball in the shooter lane and if you let it sit idle, it’ll eventually auto plunge itself. May happen in 5 seconds, may do it in 30’seconds. If that’s it, check your wire harness for the skill shot sensors directly under the playfield. See if they are nicked (see my pic). If so, you’ll want to do 2 things. Reseat the harness at both connections. And if it’s nicked, get a replacement sent from your distributor/JJP.

If balls are just continuously auto firing, then it’s probably something else.

5B0D07BD-DCE9-48F4-BF60-4BD24A7B88F6 (resized).jpeg5B0D07BD-DCE9-48F4-BF60-4BD24A7B88F6 (resized).jpeg8A0CE695-C6DA-4F88-8E81-542E2EB00C7B (resized).jpeg8A0CE695-C6DA-4F88-8E81-542E2EB00C7B (resized).jpeg
#8409 3 years ago
Quoted from atg1469:

but my game is auto-launching every ball

Please be sure the shooter lane switch isn't stuck down.

#8410 3 years ago

My LE should be getting delivered this weekend. So pumped. Anyone know what size mini flipper rubber to get for the mini playfield? I can either get 1” or 1.25”

I’m also gonna get a few pawls for the flippers in case mine break like other did.

Anything else I should buy for the game while I’m shopping?

#8411 3 years ago

By the way, they appear to have started using standard flipper rubber and NOT the silicone rubber any longer. Everything else still has the clear silicone rubber.

#8412 3 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

My LE should be getting delivered this weekend. So pumped. Anyone know what size mini flipper rubber to get for the mini playfield? I can either get 1” or 1.25”
I’m also gonna get a few pawls for the flippers in case mine break like other did.

Coil sleeves and probably a few coil stops. Replacement balls. Definitely some extra flipper rubbers.

#8413 3 years ago

So...the balls coming from the guitar lock go straight down the middle about 50% of the time while playing. More I believe from the left than the right side. Has anyone come up with a fix yet?

The machine is level and it occurs less in test mode then when I am playing. It is annoying to lose balls with no ball saver running. The balls also appear to bounce off of the lower ramp assembly they have installed. I cannot figure out what is causing them to go down the middle.

Both of my spot lights pivot arms broke. After investigating the issue, I believe the wires going to the lights didn’t have enough slack and put extra pressure on the arms/linkage causing them to break. I know others have had the arms break. When you install the new lights, I would make sure there is enough slack in the wires to allow the lights to move the full spread and not break the arms again.

#8414 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

So...the balls coming from the guitar lock go straight down the middle about 50% of the time while playing. More I believe from the left than the right side. Has anyone come up with a fix yet?
The machine is level and it occurs less in test mode then when I am playing. It is annoying to lose balls with no ball saver running. The balls also appear to bounce off of the lower ramp assembly they have installed. I cannot figure out what is causing them to go down the middle.
Both of my spot lights pivot arms broke. After investigating the issue, I believe the wires going to the lights didn’t have enough slack and put extra pressure on the arms/linkage causing them to break. I know others have had the arms break. When you install the new lights, I would make sure there is enough slack in the wires to allow the lights to move the full spread and not break the arms again.

What worked for me was a very slight squeeze inward to the metal guides. This makes the ball contact the center plastic guide and steer away from the center drain. The SDTM is greatly decreased for me after this. It doesn't take much (this pic is after I did the bend)

IMG_2951.jpegIMG_2951.jpeg
#8415 3 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Here's a good kit to get you in the right direction
https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/browse/bygame/5755

I changed whatever was within reach to Titans, still have a couple PL rings and bumbers

The small flipper is listed as mini in the kit

also, I also went with 2 1/4 vs 2 inch for the slings as 2 inch Titans felt too tight, 2 1/4 feel just right to the factory 2 inch

#8416 3 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Here's a good kit to get you in the right direction
https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/browse/bygame/5755
I changed whatever was within reach to Titans, still have a couple PL slings and bumbers
The small flipper is listed as mini in the kit
also, I also went with 2 1/4 vs 2 inch for the slings as 2 inch Titans felt too tight, 2 1/4 feel just right to the factory 2 inch

Thanks!

#8417 3 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

While I'm waiting for my new bolts to come in, I went to Home Depot and got an Allen head #10/32 and used a fine 10/32 lock nut with the washer that was on the original. Tightened it up good, still have plenty of clearance...back in business!!!!

Just one more play

#8418 3 years ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

Thank for all of the nice accolades, guys!
Now that we've got our copy of GNR and have it dialed in I'd say its among the best sounding titles of all time.
Tweeters - with the factory backbox and sound board you can get away with the originals but adding PinWoofer power absolutely necessitates our aftermarket tweeters. Because of the world-wide shipping glut and supply constraints, we can't offer the tweeters on their own, but you are guaranteed to get them when you purchase the late JJP PinWoofer system (i.e. GNR). (Existing late JJP PinWoofer owners can still purchase one set per serial number as a stand alone.)
Adding external bass is great if that's what you like (and our system and accessories support it), but doing that alone - you'll miss out on the rich array of well mastered audio. You really have to hear it to understand. The percussion effects from the jets are amazing and punch hard - like the drum kit is in the machine. There are a huge array of effects that are masterfully done and crystal clear; little guitar riffs and things you don't otherwise hear with clarity. You can also play loud. Slash's Les Paul / Marshall combination is amazing too.
We're hugely excited about GNR.
Have fun!
https://pinwoofer.com/pinwoofer-gt-8in-jjp-super-kit/

That all sounds great! Just to clarify; the link above has the tweeters included with the kit or is that something you purchase individually?

#8419 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Change the coil settings. I had one side that would drain. Set that coil to 2, was 3 and now it's good

#8420 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

What worked for me was a very slight squeeze inward to the metal guides. This makes the ball contact the center plastic guide and steer away from the center drain. The SDTM is greatly decreased for me after this. It doesn't take much (this pic is after I did the bend)[quoted image]

Quoted from kcZ:

Change the coil settings. I had one side that would drain. Set that coil to 2, was 3 and now it's good

Thanks, I will give both a try.

One thing I noticed while playing is that the ball on the left lock will bounce to the right when the left diverter fires. I am not sure if the diverter is firing much when I have balls locked and being released. I thought maybe the bounce from the diverter might be occurring when the balls are being released causing them to go down the middle.

#8421 3 years ago
Quoted from Drac:

That all sounds great! Just to clarify; the link above has the tweeters included with the kit or is that something you purchase individually?

Hey Drac - the upgraded tweeters are included with the new kit and that is the correct link. Thanks for asking!

#8422 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Thanks, I will give both a try.
One thing I noticed while playing is that the ball on the left lock will bounce to the right when the left diverter fires. I am not sure if the diverter is firing much when I have balls locked and being released. I thought maybe the bounce from the diverter might be occurring when the balls are being released causing them to go down the middle.

The thing that makes them go down the middle (my belief anyway) is resting on the rail and post such that it misses the center plastic guide on the way out. Contacting that guide is critical as it steers the ball away from the center.

I messed with the lock timings too but ended up resetting them to default after finding the rail fix.

#8423 3 years ago

Well look what the cat dragged in

10C339C7-F27F-4F78-8795-898DB6504F2D (resized).jpeg10C339C7-F27F-4F78-8795-898DB6504F2D (resized).jpeg26FC8369-E55F-4C08-AE4E-7B73523B2B06 (resized).jpeg26FC8369-E55F-4C08-AE4E-7B73523B2B06 (resized).jpeg464429CF-D12B-4ADD-A4EE-FCE6D2B6A7CC (resized).jpeg464429CF-D12B-4ADD-A4EE-FCE6D2B6A7CC (resized).jpeg4780E27E-6B6E-4593-925A-D69A47D0EBF4 (resized).jpeg4780E27E-6B6E-4593-925A-D69A47D0EBF4 (resized).jpeg
#8424 3 years ago

Luckily the cat had a pallet jack!

#8425 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballGalore:

Nice doggie too !

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#8426 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballGalore:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So was like 8pm your time when it arrived?

You will be having fun this evening!

#8427 3 years ago

your Shepard looks like mine they could be twins she 13 today, Enjoy your game if the dog will let you :]

#8428 3 years ago

Quoted from simpswho:

your Shepard looks like mine they could be twins she 13 today, Enjoy your game if the dog will let you :]

Dusty turns 7 next month. She’s the best!

#8429 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

So was like 8pm your time when it arrived?
You will be having fun this evening!

arrived at 1pm but I waited around for help.....

#8430 3 years ago

whats in the extra box. you bought extra Backglasses too?. Man you went all out!
And if it is you risking it all standing it up like that with Black dog by it

#8431 3 years ago

Beta build 6 seems to be addressing coil heat!

16190512968193726061627545008333 (resized).jpg16190512968193726061627545008333 (resized).jpg
#8432 3 years ago

Well that’s good news. After a few games, it impossible for me to back hand the left ramp. Drives me nuts.

#8433 3 years ago

I won't update from 1.19 until I see Desert Demolition implemented

#8434 3 years ago

I am not able to update beyond 1.17. Curious on the fix. I apologize if this was already mentioned in the history. My time zone and date are correct. It downloads, but does not install.

Thoughts?

Todd

#8435 3 years ago

Try a USB delta install.

#8436 3 years ago

Hey all, does the spinning record have a defaulted resistance position where the bumper usually winds up in the lane? My record has a noticeable resistance point, and not quite a click, more of a rub sound that seems to slow the spin to eventually (80%) of the time have the bumper line up in the shot lane for the next shot. Is this by design? I'm assuming it is, but you know what they say about assuming

#8437 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

[quoted image]

Great news, especially on that diverter that could hit temps up to around 230F after a couple hours play, which is crazy.

#8438 3 years ago
Quoted from tmfeuerh:

I am not able to update beyond 1.17. Curious on the fix. I apologize if this was already mentioned in the history. My time zone and date are correct. It downloads, but does not install.
Thoughts?
Todd

Click on the "topic index" at the top of any page in this thread, sort by "keypost summary" and look for the "TECH:" section. There's a linked post for 1.15-1.17 code.

#8439 3 years ago

Update on my spinning record from post #8436...it looks like my record was slightly off center, I gave it a little push on on end and now it seems to spin pretty freely...Does anyone know how this thing works, is there a trick to keeping it from going off center and rubbing?

#8440 3 years ago

I have a early wake up call so I’ll tackle this seemingly easy fix tomorrow but out of curiosity has this happened to anyone ? The plastic bent upwards and is a hair from touching/scratching the stage screen .We only have 40-50 plays on it so I’m not sure when it even happened My only worry is it happening again and scratching the screen .As always any help is greatly appreciated .

547D1E9D-A135-409D-B809-3E7EC84BA33F (resized).jpeg547D1E9D-A135-409D-B809-3E7EC84BA33F (resized).jpeg93962928-B011-4DEB-A4B7-EEAAF6AC3238 (resized).jpeg93962928-B011-4DEB-A4B7-EEAAF6AC3238 (resized).jpegFDBD370F-97B2-4ACA-A1EA-D0795EA5D487 (resized).jpegFDBD370F-97B2-4ACA-A1EA-D0795EA5D487 (resized).jpeg
#8441 3 years ago

Okay on the record it looks like the "teeth" were rubbing on the frame mount underneath the playfield pushed them ever so slightly, noise is gone and it spins freely...doh

#8442 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

[quoted image]

It would be interesting to measure the dB’s of the potential buzzing against the dB’s from the Tehitian Breeze fans and compare the fade.

Added over 3 years ago:

*Tibetan (not Tehitian...that would be counterproductive)

#8443 3 years ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

It would be interesting to measure the dB’s of the potential buzzing against the dB’s from the Tehitian Breeze fans and compare the fade.

The (desperately needed and welcome) software changes won't eliminate the flipper coil fade. It will just delay it, which might be good enough for another 20% or so of the users that won't have to deal with it since they play shorter games.. Stern Spike has excellent hold management and it still has fade. You cannot escape the heat problem it if you play a pin long enough.

#8444 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The (desperately needed and welcome) software changes won't eliminate the flipper coil fade. It will just delay it, which might be good enough for another 20% or so of the users that won't have to deal with it since they play shorter games.. Stern Spike has excellent hold management and it still has fade. You cannot escape the heat problem it if you play a pin long enough.

Mine currently exhibit fade symptoms well within 20 minutes. This is likely due to the multitude of multiballs I typically hit PRIOR to ever starting the song, and even then I tend not to start a song until I have at minimum 3 locked, creating another multiball scenario during the song. All these multiballs seem to contribute to faster fade and hence my desire to minimize as much as practically possible.

Bottomline, I’ll take all the help I can get wrt fade!

#8445 3 years ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

Mine currently exhibit fade symptoms well within 20 minutes. This is likely due to the multitude of multiballs I typically hit PRIOR to ever starting the song, and even then I tend not to start a song until I have at minimum 3 locked, creating another multiball scenario during the song. All these multiballs seem to contribute to faster fade and hence my desire to minimize as much as practically possible.
Bottomline, I’ll take all the help I can get wrt fade!

That is about normal from the jjGnR temp probe testing. Right flipper reaches the fade zone at 15 minutes, left about 5 minutes later, and upper right about 5 minutes after that. So uncooled, before this software change, all the flippers were affected by fade by about the 25 minute mark.

#8446 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That is about normal from the jjGnR temp probe testing. Right flipper reaches the fade zone at 15 minutes, left about 5 minutes later, and upper right about 5 minutes after that. So uncooled, before this software change, all the flippers were affected by fade by about the 25 minute mark.

So either it's not enough fade to matter or people aren't playing their gnr pins for extended periods? why isn't this being talked about as a number one issue unless the fade just isn't enough to affect game play? It's there a gnr flipper fade post that's on fire that I'm missing out on?
Just because it's noticeable maybe doesn't equate to enough to significantly impair game play? I'm really curious if it's just a known pin "thing" but not really a showstopper or much of an issue?
However, obviously there's enough chatter about it that it became a setting in the beta code, so there is that... Is there a hard stop playing this pin all out for a certain period of time like say 45 to 60 minutes where this fade becomes such an issue and you literally have to stop playing and let the coils cool down because you just can't make shots due to the fade?
I'd really like to know from the people that have their gnr pins, both the ones who just got them and are probably and hopefully wearing them out having a blast and those that have had them for months.. you all are in the position to comment on real world experiences with this. Thoughts?

#8447 3 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

So either it's not enough fade to matter or people aren't playing their gnr pins for extended periods? why isn't this being talked about as a number one issue unless the fade just isn't enough to affect game play? It's there a gnr flipper fade post that's on fire that I'm missing out on?
Just because it's noticeable maybe doesn't equate to enough to significantly impair game play? I'm really curious if it's just a known pin "thing" but not really a showstopper or much of an issue?
However, obviously there's enough chatter about it that it became a setting in the beta code, so there is that... Is there a hard stop playing this pin all out for a certain period of time like say 45 to 60 minutes where this fade becomes such an issue and you literally have to stop playing and let the coils cool down because you just can't make shots due to the fade?
I'd really like to know from the people that have their gnr pins, both the ones who just got them and are probably and hopefully wearing them out having a blast and those that have had them for months.. you all are in the position to comment on real world experiences with this. Thoughts?

I had a bunch of people testing JJP machines with temperature probes for near real-time temps, so I have temp data for all of them from multiple sources (to account for play style differences). All of them have fade to some degree.

Karl DeAngelo streamed all of his testing on jjGnR and jjPotC uncooled and then cooled. I tried to find one of his early uncooled videos so you could see the crazy temps it hit, but all I could find was one with cooled coils:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/974090510?filter=archives&sort=time

Uncooled GnR the left flipper peaked at 180.8F (at 90 minutes), the Right flipper peaked at 219.8F at 125 min and the upper right peaked at 181 at 80 minutes. Generally speaking, Spooky and JJP run much hotter than Spike, mostly due (IMO) to MUCH better hold handling on Spike which doesn't increase the temps almost at all when the flipper is holding. JJP and Spooky keep going up while in hold, which makes much higher temps much quicker for trap players.

There are spike temps on a chart on the spike product page here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/04203-tibetan-breeze-spike-2-flipper-coil-cooling-kit

You can see that, across the board, Spike temps are lower than JJP/Spooky, but the do still have fade on a number of machines.

#8448 3 years ago

Very interesting. Thanks.
I love the geeky data of knowing peak temp after X minutes ...but how does this translate to the game play experience? Did karl have to stop playing once they got to the peak temp or is it just a phenomenon the player has to adapt to in game play because of the fade.... I'll know eventually I suppose. I'm just curious now if it really matters when I have my GNR marathon party... Oh and realistically how long does it take to cool down? 5 or 10 minutes of rest?

#8449 3 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

So either it's not enough fade to matter or people aren't playing their gnr pins for extended periods? why isn't this being talked about as a number one issue unless the fade just isn't enough to affect game play?

Because it’s happening and they don’t realize it. Some think they are just all of a sudden missing shots for no reason. But there is a reason. Haha

Usually all shots can still be made, but timing changes and most likely, backhands become very hard or impossible.

#8450 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Because it’s happening and they don’t realize it. Some think they are just all of a sudden missing shots for no reason. But there is a reason. Haha
Usually all shots can still be made, but timing changes and most likely, backhands become very hard or impossible.

Ah.. I get it. Thanks. How fast do coils cool down to fresh temp generally after reaching that max temp/fade point if you stop playing to rest them? Minutes? Half hour?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Warren, OH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 210.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Boston, MA
$ 11,000.00
7,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

There are 28,387 posts in this topic. You are on page 169 of 568.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/169?hl=nighttrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.