IMG_20240413_155854 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155858 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155856 (resized).jpg
IMG_1426 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_2636.gif
IMG_2002 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 28,339 posts in this topic. You are on page 166 of 567.
#8251 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This is early code? Last I checked from what Keefer said it’s all there and scoring balancing/rules tweaking is all that is to come. That’s pretty baked if you ask me.
I hope you’re right though. I’d love to add this some day if it turns out to be something I have to have.
I was blown away at first, but after the honeymoon wore off, I was left wanting more to go for outside of the song jackpots.

Probably not early code haha. But there’s an entire mode not coded in. And keefer has acknowledged the scoring imbalances.

It’s not a ‘samey’ stern type of game. To me, it’s more of a ‘fun’ rockin game - hey it’s a music pin. I find games like AC/DC and JP more linear, but that’s me. I still think GOT and SW are some of the best strategy style games and You seem to like that more than fun, so this game might not suit your lineup. Not yet at least.

If you want to open the scoring depth up, see if the operator can adjust some settings. Increase power chord timer and reduce ball save timers. I just tried it, and seems pretty cool actually, game is less busy and now gives more meaning to power chord. Reduce some of the ball saver features to add risk since you’re adding another element of scoring with power chord. My best is around 12 mil I believe. Note: if you hit duff on the upper playfield, it’ll give you a power chord multiplier. I’m not sure if it maxes out, but it holds for the entire song - goes back to 1x after the song or encore.

B7D92F8D-A7F3-4C98-9164-5C8D9929F0A8 (resized).jpegB7D92F8D-A7F3-4C98-9164-5C8D9929F0A8 (resized).jpeg
#8252 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

If you want to open the scoring depth up, see if the operator can adjust some settings.

Haha. Not a chance unfortunately.

Appreciate the help though. Power chord is definitely right up my alley, but getting a six ball one seems almost impossible. Good challenge to go for none the less. Gonna try for it next time.

#8253 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’d love to hear more on this because I think I’m struggling. What are the various ways to increase your score? The only way I’ve found is to go for a big song jackpot. If you don’t get that, you’re score is super low.

Vater, Skull, Gun, Rose i try to score during 2 ball multiple to start these out and build song values, lock balls. PAst few song starts were 192 and 162, and neither was able to collect the 30M jackpot

#8254 3 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Someone was surprised I had these. My Feb 2021 gnr se came from the factory with scoop protection and black washers under sling posts. If you didn't get them you might be able to get them under warranty.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Don't all pins have that standard protection? I'm still going with a Cliffy.

#8255 3 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Really? There really isn’t a lot to it. Pick out your patches. Play the boosters. Lock balls. Start a song. Power chord. Band frenzy. Play album modes. Tour multi all. Slash solo. Rinse and repeat.
I may say this game is wide, but deep. No, definitely not deep.

GNR is a very deep game and I think you may be simplifying it a bit too much. All of the song modes play differently in regards to different shots being required to be hit on the playfield. Song modes shots can also change as it's played through, that's pretty cool. Each song mode can be played as a single ball or a multiball mode. Theres a variety of other multiball modes that can be stacked with song modes. Finally there's the album modes which are essentially mini wizard modes. Finally finally lol there's a super wizard mode. All of that is layering that very few games do.

I know a lot of people say ACDC is deep but that pins looks extremely shallow compared to GNR. The song modes in that game are very dull in my opinion, all requiring a player to just bash one specific shot over and over again versus working the playfield. All of the multiballs are similar with no unique animations and there's not even 1 mini wizard mode.

#8256 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

GNR is a very deep game and I think you may be simplifying it a bit too much. All of the song modes play differently in regards to different shots being required to be hit on the playfield. Song modes shots can also change as it's played through, that's pretty cool. Each song mode can be played as a single ball or a multiball mode. Theres a variety of other multiball modes that can be stacked with song modes. Finally there's the album modes which are essentially mini wizard modes. Finally finally lol there's a super wizard mode. All of that is layering that very few games do.
I know a lot of people say ACDC is deep but that pins looks extremely shallow compared to GNR. The song modes in that game are very dull in my opinion, all requiring a player to just bash one specific shot over and over again versus working the playfield. All of the multiballs are similar with no unique animations and there's not even 1 mini wizard mode.

5663gw.jpg5663gw.jpg
#8257 3 years ago

Is anyone else having problems with their spotlights? My left spotlight quit moving up and down, talked with JJP technical support and they are sending me a new assembly. Just looked at my right spotlight and noticed the plastic linkage that moved the light up and down is broke as well, guess I will have to replace both now.

#8258 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoderboy:

Is anyone else having problems with their spotlights? My left spotlight quit moving up and down, talked with JJP technical support and they are sending me a new assembly. Just looked at my right spotlight and noticed the plastic linkage that moved the light up and down is broke as well, guess I will have to replace both now.

Same thing happened to me within a day of owning the machine on my left spotlight. Sent a message to JJP and they are sending me a replacement assembly as well.

#8259 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

100%. Compare ‘Civil War’ to ‘November Rain’.

#8260 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

What "variety of other multiballs" can be stacked with song modes?

#8261 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoderboy:

Yes. 3 days in on ours and the left spotlight stopped moving up and down.
The linkage is totally busted.
Sent a tech support email but they won’t get ii until Monday.
Guess they may need to beef these parts up a bit.

#8262 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

What "variety of other multiballs" can be stacked with song modes?

Lights multiball vs amps.

#8263 3 years ago

Couple of quick questions.
What lights the locks on the Gibson upper ball lock? (Other than Mystery awards)
And is the girls voice in the game callouts Melissa from the band or a voice actor?

#8264 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Lights multiball vs amps.

Huh?

#8265 3 years ago

Will JJP sell someone a spare upper playfield?

#8266 3 years ago

Yes. You can start a song with Lights maxed or you can also start a song with Amps maxed.

#8267 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Yes. You can start a song with Lights maxed or you can also start a song with Amps maxed.

Those are pre-song multiballs. I asked Panzer what variety of multiballs can be stacked with song modes.

#8268 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

What lights the locks on the Gibson upper ball lock? (Other than Mystery awards)
And is the girls voice in the game callouts Melissa from the band or a voice actor?

Each band member you collect enables one lock on the upper playfield.

#8269 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Those are pre-song multiballs. I asked Panzer what variety of multiballs can be stacked with song modes.

AFAIK the in-song "multiball" is limited to the locks you enter the song with, and boosted with add-a-ball at the scoop.

#8270 3 years ago

Been playing and tweaking around with my GNR all weekend and came up with quite a many of adjustments that I thought I’d share with the community. I’m really digging these settings so far, especially the software adjustments.

Pitch: raised from 6.8 to approx to 7.2. Bubble just under the 3rd line (see screenshot). This helps considerably with flipper snag plus the flow and speed is much better too. I believe this right around where Karl D’Angelo is at as well.

Flipper power: to compensate for the steep pitch...
Left flipper: 25
Right flipper: 29
Upper right: 20

Game settings:
Lights multiball qualifying: 3
GNR spellout for mystery: 10
Member max ball save: 10
Max song ball saver: 45
Super lock timeout (power chord): 25 - EDIT: I may bring this down to 20. Default is 15.

So these settings make the game harder in some areas, easier in others. It gives another choice in going for powerchord over other song objectives. It also slows down the chaos of multiball by allowing you to dump balls in the lock longer. However, to compensate for this, I reduced ball saver max time and harder to build it giving you more decisions to make.

Enjoy.
138C38C2-7A4E-41D6-8A03-D4BFE3E299A6 (resized).jpeg138C38C2-7A4E-41D6-8A03-D4BFE3E299A6 (resized).jpeg337334B8-D11C-4393-AE81-6F5E48836733 (resized).jpeg337334B8-D11C-4393-AE81-6F5E48836733 (resized).jpegC3C52D45-741A-4C96-BA4D-AAF3339AC3F3 (resized).jpegC3C52D45-741A-4C96-BA4D-AAF3339AC3F3 (resized).jpegD5D2AFF8-9B3A-4413-AB68-38513036B000 (resized).jpegD5D2AFF8-9B3A-4413-AB68-38513036B000 (resized).jpegD8244ED8-B508-47B9-8694-65BCB515B509 (resized).jpegD8244ED8-B508-47B9-8694-65BCB515B509 (resized).jpeg

#8271 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Unless I misunderstood, I saw a video of an interview with the game developers of GNR that the girl's voice on the callouts is actually a band member.

#8272 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Yes. 3 days in on ours and the left spotlight stopped moving up and down.
The linkage is totally busted.
Sent a tech support email but they won’t get ii until Monday.
Guess they may need to beef these parts up a bit.

I just tested my spotlights, the linkage on each one of them is broken. 5 days old on my machine. I will contact my distributor.

#8273 3 years ago
Quoted from dschulpius:

Unless I misunderstood, I saw a video of an interview with the game developers of GNR that the girl's voice on the callouts is actually a band member.

Yea, that’s Melissa. She is awesome! Love her call outs.

#8274 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Nothing more frustrating than losing a 17M jackpot!

here hold my beer..... come back when you lose 60 million like i did.

#8275 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah I’ve gotten these a few times. Definitely a cool feature. Another piece that seems undervalued. But I could be doing a poor job of maximizing the value though.

Shoot the Duff Bass guitar ramp on the upper playfield during the song multiball. It multiplies the Powerchord jackpots for each shot made prior to cashing the powerchord jackpot.

#8276 3 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

Will JJP sell someone a spare upper playfield?

Dunno about that but i won one signed by the design team.

20210125_174353 (resized).jpg20210125_174353 (resized).jpg
#8277 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

My opinion on this game is way different but i prefer modes and actual feel of moving through a story as I play the modes. Its not deep at all when it comes to progressing to Wizard modes. Most new Sterns are coded better and every JJP is coded better so far when it comes to feeling like your progressing in a game. Play a song from each album for what 3 minutes then start the album modes. I almost beat the game on the 1st or 2nd day playing it like a mode based game not knowing it was a game setup for jackpots. Every song does have different lights but really they all felt the same besides the light show. Slash solo and the two UYI album modes are worthless so far but im sure that will be fixed. When i compare it to Wonka code Wonka(much better layout and smooth with satisfying shots) is a adventure with way better code thats actually alot of fun for me where GnR feels like another MET but with even less things to achieve but way more songs. The songs light shows is the best thing this game has going on for it and the assets are decent but not as good as BM66. Easily the worst JJP to date if your looking for a mode based adventure but the best JJP if you like to just go for high scores. I loved killing Smaug and melting the Witch, where is that level of fun on this game? This is just my opinion coming from a person that loves a adventure under glass, I never look at my score while playing any game until the games over so being a jackpot oriented game just killed any staying power and fun for me on this one.

#8278 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

My opinion on this game is way different but i prefer modes and actual feel of moving through a story as I play the modes. Its not deep at all when it comes to progressing to Wizard modes. Most new Sterns are coded better and every JJP is coded better so far when it comes to feeling like your progressing in a game. Play a song from each album for what 3 minutes then start the album modes. I almost beat the game on the 1st or 2nd day playing it like a mode based game not knowing it was a game setup for jackpots. Every song does have different lights but really they all felt the same besides the light show. Slash solo and the two UYI album modes are worthless so far but im sure that will be fixed. When i compare it to Wonka code Wonka(much better layout and smooth with satisfying shots) is a adventure with way better code thats actually alot of fun for me where GnR feels like another MET but with even less things to achieve but way more songs. The songs light shows is the best thing this game has going on for it and the assets are decent but not as good as BM66. Easily the worst JJP to date if your looking for a mode based adventure but the best JJP if you like to just go for high scores. I loved killing Smaug and melting the Witch, where is that level of fun on this game? This is just my opinion coming from a person that loves a adventure under glass, I never look at my score while playing any game until the games over so being a jackpot oriented game just killed any staying power and fun for me on this one.

With a music pin I don't think an adventure / quest ruleset such as the ones found on LOTR, Hobbit, and WOZ would work. Those three games are among the deepest in pinball but there are other ways to make a ruleset deep.

GNR is deep in the way of how song modes can be played (single ball or going for a specific multiball), choosing to continue a song mode (where the shots then change) or cashing in a song jackpot. The applause jackpot, rock meter, encore, and booed off stage features are also elements that adds to the games depth and creating a world under glass with that being going on a concert tour.

There's a lot of variety and choice with GNR compared to other music pins. Choice also includes being able to play 1 of 21 different song modes which almost double then any other music pin. The 4 album modes in the game are then your mini wizard type modes, qualified I think by playing 3 minutes of a song. The 3 minute album mode qualifier is to earn a silver record, there's also golf and platinum. To top it all of there's a super wizard mode.

When you factor in all of these ruleset elements GNR is pretty damn deep, easily deeper then all other music pins and a majority of non music based pins. Personally I felt like MET was chopping wood with many of a majority of it modes simply requiring the player to hit the same shot over and over again. Hit the ramps 10x, hit the snake 10x, hit Sparky 10x. The Crank it Up modes offered shot variety but I didn't like having to play through a bunch of "hit this shot 10x" style modes to get there.

#8279 3 years ago

Hopefully we just got a bad batch of linkages and that new ones will not break like these do, my game is just a week old as well. I would be interested if this has been on going since the early games

#8280 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoderboy:

Hopefully we just got a bad batch of linkages and that new ones will not break like these do, my game is just a week old as well. I would be interested if this has been on going since the early games

I bet a lot of owners never notice that the lights stop moving up and down. They still move left and right.

#8281 3 years ago

I usually don’t post about small issues, but when I saw this questionable linkage setup I felt compelled to get the word out in hopes that maybe a design change would be made. I don’t have much confidence in the long term durability of this linkage.

#8282 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

With a music pin I don't think an adventure / quest ruleset such as the ones found on LOTR, Hobbit, and WOZ would work. Those three games are among the deepest in pinball but there are other ways to make a ruleset deep.
GNR is deep in the way of how song modes can be played (single ball or going for a specific multiball), choosing to continue a song mode (where the shots then change) or cashing in a song jackpot. The applause jackpot, rock meter, encore, and booed off stage features are also elements that adds to the games depth and creating a world under glass with that being going on a concert tour.
There's a lot of variety and choice with GNR compared to other music pins. Choice also includes being able to play 1 of 21 different song modes which almost double then any other music pin. The 4 album modes in the game are then your mini wizard type modes, qualified I think by playing 3 minutes of a song. The 3 minute album mode qualifier is to earn a silver record, there's also golf and platinum. To top it all of there's a super wizard mode.
When you factor in all of these ruleset elements GNR is pretty damn deep, easily deeper then all other music pins and a majority of non music based pins. Personally I felt like MET was chopping wood with many of a majority of it modes simply requiring the player to hit the same shot over and over again. Hit the ramps 10x, hit the snake 10x, hit Sparky 10x. The Crank it Up modes offered shot variety but I didn't like having to play through a bunch of "hit this shot 10x" style modes to get there.

Iron Maiden is a music pin with a story that is coded alot better with all around better layout also when comparing music pins but LZ is terrible code similar to GnR with no story. I just think the codes not fun to play if your expecting any kind of story or adventure. I knew right away that the game wasnt for me. Some like to go for high scores but personally Id rather play Ghostbusters and progress through the movie scenes then just playing songs for jackpots. To each his own just wanted to express as many guys that I know that sold there GnRs already have told me the same thing.

#8283 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

I bet a lot of owners never notice that the lights stop moving up and down. They still move left and right.

I wonder if "Maxing" lights prior to a song, makes them more active in the song?

#8284 3 years ago

Any November orders out there getting their games yet?

#8285 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah I’ve gotten these a few times. Definitely a cool feature. Another piece that seems undervalued. But I could be doing a poor job of maximizing the value though.

13 mil in about one minute of play isn’t too shabby. Granted, it’s the first time I’ve ever completed the mode in about 50 attempts haha.

B6276D99-19E3-49FC-8DAD-5942FAD54EDE (resized).jpegB6276D99-19E3-49FC-8DAD-5942FAD54EDE (resized).jpeg
#8287 3 years ago

Added a Pinwoofer superkit to my CE as I thought the base was really non-existent. I’m no audiophile but wow, it made a huge difference as I can now hear and feel it! Also the voices and everything else sounds crisper too.

One note- it’s recommended to disable the CE soundbar as Pinwoofer says it pollutes the upgraded sound with their kit. Thought that was kind of a bummer at first, but I didn’t care afterwards as the sound became louder and clearer.

If you have a LE, I think this kit is better than trying to add a soundbar topper and/or external sub.

#8288 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

My opinion on this game is way different but i prefer modes and actual feel of moving through a story as I play the modes.

You think you want this, but trust me you don't. This was a common refrain from the awful Pinside hivemind with regard to Wonka.

If you're playing through a story, it's linear. It's repetitive. And it will get boring fast.

#8289 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

13 mil in about one minute of play isn’t too shabby. Granted, it’s the first time I’ve ever completed the mode in about 50 attempts haha. [quoted image]

Nice! I hate this mode... I think I’d like it if they would allow the cannon to spin Back around if that makes sense

#8290 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Nice! I hate this mode... I think I’d like it if they would allow the cannon to spin Back around if that makes sense

One of the patches allows this!

#8291 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

If you're playing through a story, it's linear. It's repetitive. And it will get boring fast.

This. I prefer my pinball as I prefer my video games and porn - plot-free.

#8292 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I think I’d like it if they would allow the cannon to spin Back around if that makes sense

Quoted from zaphX:

One of the patches allows this!

Like he said... Use your Illusion II Album - Cannon Can Wrap Around in Tear Down the Wall

#8293 3 years ago
Quoted from MGM2:

Added a Pinwoofer superkit to my CE as I thought the base was really non-existent. I’m no audiophile but wow, it made a huge difference as I can now hear and feel it! Also the voices and everything else sounds crisper too.
One note- it’s recommended to disable the CE soundbar as Pinwoofer says it pollutes the upgraded sound with their kit. Thought that was kind of a bummer at first, but I didn’t care afterwards as the sound became louder and clearer.
If you have a LE, I think this kit is better than trying to add a soundbar topper and/or external sub.

Nice to hear more people liking the kit. I ordered mine last week and it is supposed to show up this week. For a music pin, one would think they would install a better sound setup. I am surprised Slash didn’t’ encourage them to make it sound better. I am also surprised they are not selling a subwoofer add on kit.

#8294 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Yeah this pin isn't for you then. Stick with Wizard of Oz or Hobbit. This is a players pin for people that like fast, brutal and a adrenaline rush. Much like a concert.

The Album Modes need scoring improvements/work and more depth.

#8295 3 years ago

By far, one of the worst strategies for a decent score is to look up and see a pending jackpot north of 40 million. It does something to your ability to keep the ball in play. Proven fact.

#8296 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Like he said... Use your Illusion II Album - Cannon Can Wrap Around in Tear Down the Wall

Didn’t know that, not sure I love they solve though

#8297 3 years ago

So this happened.............Finally got our new LE. Love it. Say what you will, but this is the most immersive game we own. Couple of issues that i am seeing and I am throwing them out to the crowd.

I installed the shooter lane Cliffys and now i am getting some weird ass short. the left sling just started going crazy as did the auto eject. I went to the test and say the entire row of switches on the was brown and blinking. I thought I isolated it and found that the shooter rod was causing it. Moved some stuff around, The auto eject mech and it stopped, however, when I tilt it up into service mode it kicks a few times. How could I have shorted anything with the Cliffy weird.

Also a couple of ball stick points that are driving me up the wall. Under the drumsticks coming down where the rollover is, and on the left orbit. If you do not zing it up the left orbit, it gets stuck in la la land. Cant see it and have to use another ball to retrieve it. Also ball was getting stuck under the left wire form. bent it up a bit and good to go. Any thoughts on the others?

#8298 3 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

Any thoughts on the others?

Adjust switches so they have less tension trapping the ball and letting it roll by and still work.

LTG : )

#8299 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoderboy:

I SUGGEST EVERYONE UN-PLUG THE SERVOS TO THE SPOTLIGHTS FOR A FUTURE CODE UPDATE!!!!
EDIT: Could be a hardware issue in April machines? Awaiting new assemblies for replacement.

It's a ball-search issue. I know Code v1.19 will SEVERELY over-drive light movements during ball search. This crashes the lights into their neighboring objects. If your lights aren't broken yet, they will be. I cannot find a setting to disable them; the best solution I see is to power off the machine and pull apart the servo connectors. I discovered this a moment ago and cannot say if ball-search does this in other code versions.
ServoConnectors (resized).jpgServoConnectors (resized).jpg

#8300 3 years ago

Ok... So two two things....

1. PLEASE pinball_keefer code a "lost song jackpot" screen somewhere if you drain and don't cash out...(or to be a bit cruel... a "high score")

and

2. I had a 118M jackpot on Paradise city going and LOST it!!

My kids ran down wondering if I was ok when I screamed in agony...

Damn this game is awesome...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

Machine - For Sale
Purcellville, VA
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 210.00
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

8,245 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Georgetown, KY
Machine - For Sale
Islamorada, FL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

7,500 (OBO)
$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 28,339 posts in this topic. You are on page 166 of 567.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/166?hl=bsobie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.