IMG_20240413_155856 (resized).jpg
IMG_1426 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_2636.gif
IMG_2002 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg
1C8AE00A-E658-441F-8C85-35F46CC105C1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3148 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 28,336 posts in this topic. You are on page 164 of 567.
#8151 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Your better off just sticking to your opinionated lies mate. You dig deeper every time you type.

I thought you said it was too early to start drinking?

#8152 3 years ago

There's a cure for the addiction i have that you like to lord over me because it makes you feel bigger while looking smaller and smaller.

Your problems, not so much.

#8153 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

There's a cure for the addiction i have that you like to lord over me because it makes you feel bigger while looking smaller and smaller.

Help me out here, is your addiction beer or being an asshole on pinside?

#8154 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Help me out here, is your addiction beer or being an asshole on pinside?

Quoted from punkin:

Usually there's no arguing in club threads lol. We all have a GNR or one on order during a global pandemic, let's be as happy as we can A beer sounds good right now.

#8155 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Usually there's no arguing in club threads lol. We all have a GNR or one on order during a global pandemic, let's be as happy as we can A beer sounds good right now.

Sorry I’m done

#8156 3 years ago

If you guys are done fighting...I joined the Cliffy club today

Big thanks to Vitty for his details about how to disassemble everything.

IMG_3003.jpegIMG_3003.jpegIMG_3004.jpegIMG_3004.jpeg
#8157 3 years ago

HA Thank you zaph X ,Pinball is my Escape from this fucked up world. If I wanted to hear or read someone bitchin I would get married.

#8158 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Big thanks to Vitty for his details about how to disassemble everything.[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice, how long did it take you? Any hiccups? I have the cliffys, but haven’t had time to do it.

#8159 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Nice, how long did it take you? Any hiccups? I have the cliffys, but haven’t had time to do it.

It went surprisingly quickly actually.

What I did:

- Lifted the playfield
- Identified the wires for the upper playfield, cut zip ties and unplugged them
- Loosened the scoop VUK a bit, removed two screws for the internal protector and then retightened
- Lowered the playfield to the third service stop
- Removed the nuts for the bass wireform, lifted up and out
- Removed the nuts and screws holding in the left catwalk return ramp, removed
- Removed AXL (2 nuts)
- Removed the plastic by the left spot (2 nuts)
- Lifted out the now-freed spotlight and dangled behind the playfield
- Removed the 4 screws for the upper playfield and lifted it out
- Removed the 2 nuts holding in the metal guitar neck bit and lifted it out
- Removed the nuts for the plastic (including the gate) and removed
- Removed the posts that held in the two blue bumper holders
- Removed the 2 nuts that held in the scoop
- Removed the old "wings" protector
- Removed the inner metal "liner" protector by pressing down near the front and lifting near the back
- Cleaned around the scoop with naptha to remove old adhesive
- Installed cliffy
- Reversed steps

It sounds worse than it was.

#8160 3 years ago

New LE owner here. Just picked up #588 earlier this week. Still learning the ropes. 2 questions, I have a powered subwoofer connected via high output from the cabinet sub. Any recommendations on how to prevent loud popping sounds on startup? It happens twice after powering it on. It's a polk audio sub. Next question, aside from prior to plunging, is there a way to safely select patches during play? If you cradle too long it shows information screens you can't clear off without flicking the flipper to go back to patch selection. It takes too long to navigate through them since there are so many. Maybe this is just 1 of the risk/rewards to playing the game, selecting patches during play.

#8161 3 years ago
Quoted from Straight2VHS:

New LE owner here. Just picked up #588 earlier this week. Still learning the ropes. 2 questions, I have a powered subwoofer connected via high output from the cabinet sub. Any recommendations on how to prevent loud popping sounds on startup? It happens twice after powering it on. It's a polk audio sub. Next question, aside from prior to plunging, is there a way to safely select patches during play? If you cradle too long it shows information screens you can't clear off without flicking the flipper to go back to patch selection. It takes too long to navigate through them since there are so many. Maybe this is just 1 of the risk/rewards to playing the game, selecting patches during play.

Search the hobbit thread. There was a guy made a mod board to stop the popping.

#8162 3 years ago

When instant info is up, the current patch selection moves to the mini screen.
Also, know that left flipper + action button backs up through the patches, if you overshoot the one you want.

#8163 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

When instant info is up, the current patch selection moves to the mini screen.
Also, know that left flipper + action button backs up through the patches, if you overshoot the one you want.

Thank you. I didn't even think to check that screen.

I also forgot to mention in my post. I had to resolve an issue with the lockdown bar. It took 2 hands plus a helper to get it to seat correctly. It was just too tight between the glass and bar with the glass slid all the way into position. The set screws were adjusted all the way out already. To resolve this, I used a rubber mallet to gently bend the two tabs that press against the glass away from the glass. Now the lock down bar drops into place by itself after setting it into place then moving the lever, with only one hand needed.

#8164 3 years ago

Can anyone help .my first night to dive in was going to update 1.21 last I read either internet or USB is fine is that still the concensus ? 2nd I can’t find the back box keys nothing has been moved was wondering where they would put these they’re not in coin box or hanging on door any help would be appreciated .

#8165 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Can anyone help .my first night to dive in was going to update 1.21 last I read either internet or USB is fine is that still the concensus ? 2nd I can’t find the back box keys nothing has been moved was wondering where they would put these they’re not in coin box or hanging on door any help would be appreciated .

Keys should be on the coin Mechs on the inside of the door. Otherwise, look everywhere. Maybe they fell off.

Depends what code you are on when updating. If you are on 1.19 you can use wifi. Some of the codes in the teens broke the wifi.

#8166 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I'm in line for an LE soon, but am not sure after watching gameplay footage. The lightshow is impressive, and integration looks excellent, but frankly Dialed In seems like a better shooter, with more innovative mechs. Do you guys get tired of the heavy use of mulitball to advance through the songs? Maybe I'm just used to multiball as a reward for advancing rather than using it to advance, but it seems a little chaotic with this strategy. Thanks for any feedback!

I feel the same way to be honest. I really want to like GNR, but it seems more like a great light and video package with killer music and less of a flowing/shooter game. The times I've played it, I felt like I did with Hobbit or LOTR- that I was in for a long haul game trying to achieve everything that needed to be done. On top of that, the constant multi-balls were more gratuitous to keep the game going than creative and earned by me.

And that's not to say that GNR isn't a good game... I just feel like I'm more of a Led Zepplin or JP PREM kind of player at this point. GNR has it's place and I do believe will appeal to a good portion of pinball players.

I just don't think I have room for this one also in my collection.. I guess that makes my choice easy.

The good news for me is that I can play it on location though.

#8167 3 years ago

Memorize the order of the patches and learn the colors displayed in the button. That will help some.

#8168 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

2nd I can’t find the back box keys

They should be hanging on the hook inside the coin door by the mech.

If not go over the inside of the game. They may have fallen off.

LTG : )

DSC00498 (resized).JPGDSC00498 (resized).JPG
#8169 3 years ago

check the speaker magnet.

#8170 3 years ago

Issue tonight; the pop-bumpers seemed weak, then the upper playfield's VUK held its ball followed by 'that smell'. Crap. Powered off, lifted playfield. The left guitar lock's coil overheated for sure. The movement is restricted too; the coil sleeve may have melted. Starting to look into it.

2021-04-16 (resized).jpg2021-04-16 (resized).jpg
#8171 3 years ago

Fuse F708 is blown. No other visual items to note. I'll message the distributor in the morning.

2021-04-16b (resized).jpg2021-04-16b (resized).jpg
#8172 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Keys should be on the coin Mechs on the inside of the door. Otherwise, look everywhere. Maybe they fell off.
Depends what code you are on when updating. If you are on 1.19 you can use wifi. Some of the codes in the teens broke the wifi.

Thanks.The ring was spread they were in the back hiding .

#8173 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Big thanks to Vitty for his details about how to disassemble everything.[quoted image][quoted image]

Have a look at that. How did the install go? Any difficulties? Still waiting for mine to arrive.

#8174 3 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

The left guitar lock's coil overheated for sure.

Bad drive transistor ?

#8175 3 years ago

I cancelled my gnr LE order early on and then regretted it thinking I could have been $1K ahead of late buyers that paid the $10.5.

I played it again recently and agree with some on here.. game is not for me because of how it shoots. And when I thought about it, it’s how I feel about most if not all of the JJP games.

Led Zeppelin stays. LOL.

Will have fun playing JJP on location with everyone though.

Happy for all the guys here finally landing their games though, it’s been a long time coming.. or so it seems.

#8176 3 years ago

Just about everything on this website is way overpriced. Hard pass for me

#8177 3 years ago

Just got to Tear Down the Wall for the first time.

Had no idea what to do, shot all the shots i could find and she kept saying shoot the canon. Finally figured out after a minute or two i was suppossed to hit the action button. Fuck, looking at the other blinky lights.
Hit it, sunk one poster and drained straight off.

#8178 3 years ago

hello, is it possible in the menu to remove the scores of the day? thank you

#8179 3 years ago

LE 574 has arrived.

It’s a beauty!

498C8D52-DD35-408A-888C-C7C45AE96BD0 (resized).jpeg498C8D52-DD35-408A-888C-C7C45AE96BD0 (resized).jpeg
#8180 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Bad drive transistor ?

I suspect it. I'll chase the warranty process as the game is fresh. Currently looking at ordering fuses and combing page165 in the manual. Planning to probe this evening. It's goofy, I don't think I have 20mm fuses; never needed 'em I guess.

#8181 3 years ago

For the people that have installed the scoop Cliffy, are you finding more or less rejects? I get quite a few with the factory protector. The factory protector is also lifting a little on the sides.

#8182 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

For the people that have installed the scoop Cliffy, are you finding more or less rejects? I get quite a few with the factory protector. The factory protector is also lifting a little on the sides.

I think it plays a little bit better. Mine lifted too which complicated lateral shots.

Maybe I’ll stream it today.

#8183 3 years ago

This game is a little different, the more you play it, the better it becomes. Once you understand the shots, then the rules, then some strategy, the game puts itself on another level.

Games that let you shoot for the blinky shot and flip balls around are fun as well, but there are a 100 of those. There is no other game like GNR, no other game has the integration, strategy, and gameplay.

Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

I feel the same way to be honest. I really want to like GNR, but it seems more like a great light and video package with killer music and less of a flowing/shooter game. The times I've played it, I felt like I did with Hobbit or LOTR- that I was in for a long haul game trying to achieve everything that needed to be done. On top of that, the constant multi-balls were more gratuitous to keep the game going than creative and earned by me.
And that's not to say that GNR isn't a good game... I just feel like I'm more of a Led Zepplin or JP PREM kind of player at this point. GNR has it's place and I do believe will appeal to a good portion of pinball players.
I just don't think I have room for this one also in my collection.. I guess that makes my choice easy.
The good news for me is that I can play it on location though.

Quoted from Cobray:

I cancelled my gnr LE order early on and then regretted it thinking I could have been $1K ahead of late buyers that paid the $10.5.
I played it again recently and agree with some on here.. game is not for me because of how it shoots. And when I thought about it, it’s how I feel about most if not all of the JJP games.
Led Zeppelin stays. LOL.
Happy for all the guys here finally landing their games though, it’s been a long time coming.. or so it seems.

#8184 3 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

This game is a little different, the more you play it, the better it becomes. Once you understand the shots, then the rules, then some strategy, the game puts itself on another level.

This. The two-phase "build up the best possible boosters/locks/patch set" then "execute effectively in the song" is a really addictive and rewarding combo.

When I was very early in, I had some of the creeping doubts others have posted.
These doubts disappeared as I learned more strategy.

There is a lot of depth here in the form of cleaning up the playfield w/ the guitar lock, making the active band member shots to get band frenzy going, hitting the best shots to maximize the effect of band frenzy, etc.

GNR is not just a pretty face!

#8185 3 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

hello, is it possible in the menu to remove the scores of the day? thank you

Yes there's a setting to disable daily high scores.

#8186 3 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Led Zeppelin stays. LOL.

Nice. Well done, glad you've been able to reduce your cognitive dissonance

#8187 3 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Games that let you shoot for the blinky shot and flip balls around are fun as well, but there are a 100 of those. There is no other game like GNR, no other game has the integration, strategy, and gameplay.

You can say the exact same thing about both Hobbit and Dialed in also.. and I wouldn't say those are "at another level". Understanding code but (still) not enjoying how the game shoots doesn't make it better for me personally.

But again, not trying to trash GNR.. I like it for playing on location, just not a "gotta buy it" for me.

#8188 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

On top of that, the constant multi-balls were more gratuitous to keep the game going than creative and earned by me.

I saw someone on Facebook say they configured their game to make multiballs harder to achieve because they were "concerned about wear" which is one of the most WTF-worthy things I've seen about this game. The multiballs are important and all of them are earned.

It is important to understand that multiball is not a "reward" or "victory lap" in this game, it is a mechanic that is an integral part of the gameplay.

I'll try and explain the point of the multiballs, I think if you understand what you're trying for it will help make sense of things.

PRE-SONG MULTIBALLS:

LIGHTS: earned by hitting the target on the upper playfield, aim for purple shots.
PYRO: earned by hitting the pyro target and sling behind Slash, action button jackpots
AMP: earned by lighting the AMP inlane, aim for yellow shots
CROWD: earned by skill shots then shooting the under-the-flipper shot, aim for blue shots

Why do you care to achieve them? The better you do in the multiball jackpots, the better your song jackpot will be.
Why do you want to stack them? The more you stack them, the longer the ballsave is and the more balls are in play, making the aforementioned jackpots easier to get. There is a POTC-like adrenaline rush from building the stack and keeping it going.

IN-SONG MULTIBALLS:

INITIAL BALLS IN PLAY: earned by the number of guitar locks you made in pre-song.
ADD-A-BALL: earned by making lit song shots and then the scoop when it's green.

Why do you care to maximize balls in play? The more balls in play the longer you will stay alive to maximize jackpots. Also the more likely you are to get Band Frenzy going.

Is it just mindless thrashing? Absolutely not. You have specific shots you're going for to qualify add-a-ball, and to hit the active band members to activate band frenzy. Once band frenzy is going, you want to maximize switch hits (spinners, pops etc) to blow up the jackpot.

The multiballs are keeping you from making shots? The baller move is to stash some on the guitar neck where they are safe, out of the way, and there's even a power chord award for doing all active balls in play.

I hope this helps provide some context.

I urge people to ignore the Pinside hive-mind.
Too often a game is distilled into one talking point which gets repeated mindlessly.

"They pulled trunk and disc mechs!"
"It sounds like a slot machine!"
"Too many multiballs!"

Play these games with an open mind and give yourself time to learn the rules before making a final judgement on a game.

#8189 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Play these games with an open mind and give yourself time learn the rules before making a final judgement on a game.

Ditto

#8190 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I saw someone on Facebook say they configured their game to make multiballs harder to achieve because they were "concerned about wear" which is one of the most WTF-worthy things I've seen about this game. The multiballs are important and all of them are earned.
It is important to understand that multiball is not a "reward" or "victory lap" in this game, it is a mechanic that is an integral part of the gameplay.
I'll try and explain the point of the multiballs, I think if you understand what you're trying for it will help make sense of things.
PRE-SONG MULTIBALLS:
LIGHTS: earned by hitting the target on the upper playfield, aim for purple shots.
PYRO: earned by hitting the pyro target and sling behind Slash, action button jackpots
AMP: earned by lighting the AMP inlane, aim for yellow shots
CROWD: earned by skill shots then shooting the under-the-flipper shot, aim for blue shots
Why do you care to achieve them? The better you do in the multiball jackpots, the better your song jackpot will be.
Why do you want to stack them? The more you stack them, the longer the ballsave is and the more balls are in play, making the aforementioned jackpots easier to get. There is a POTC-like adrenaline rush from building the stack and keeping it going.
IN-SONG MULTIBALLS:
INITIAL BALLS IN PLAY: earned by the number of guitar locks you made in pre-song.
ADD-A-BALL: earned by making lit song shots and then the scoop when it's green.
Why do you care to maximize balls in play? The more balls in play the longer you will stay alive to maximize jackpots. Also the more likely you are to get Band Frenzy going.
Is it just mindless thrashing? Absolutely not. You have specific shots you're going for to qualify add-a-ball, and to hit the active band members to activate band frenzy. Once band frenzy is going, you want to maximize switch hits (spinners, pops etc) to blow up the jackpot.
The multiballs are keeping you from making shots? The baller move is to stash some on the guitar neck where they are safe, out of the way, and there's even a power chord award for doing all active balls in play.
I hope this helps provide some context.
I urge people to ignore the Pinside hive-mind.
Too often a game is distilled into one talking point which gets repeated mindlessly.
"They pulled trunk and disc mechs!"
"It sounds like a slot machine!"
"Too many multiballs!"
Play these games with an open mind and give yourself time learn the rules before making a final judgement on a game.

Does maxing the pre-song multi balls change the visual/light/audio mix of the song experience itself?

#8191 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Does maxing the pre-song multi balls change the visual/light/audio mix of the song experience itself?

I don't -think- so but I could be wrong...I'm constantly discovering things.

#8192 3 years ago

I know, it’s cool. And no, you can’t. You cannot say the same thing about the Hobit or Dialed In, or really any other game.

Once you start to figure out one or two ways to do a little better, and you peel the first layer from that onion, the number of ways to approach the gameplay and to increase your score are insane.

So many ways to play (or not play) this game.

I could compare it to a TiVo. TiVo changed the way we watch TV forever, but the first day you have one there aren’t any shows on it so it’s not very useful for a while. Once it gets going though, it’s mind blowing.

Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

You can say the exact same thing about both Hobbit and Dialed in also.. and I wouldn't say those are "at another level". Understanding code but (still) not enjoying how the game shoots doesn't make it better for me personally.
But again, not trying to trash GNR.. I like it for playing on location, just not a "gotta buy it" for me.

#8193 3 years ago

The difference tween hobbit and GnR for me is the game is also tougher for me to keep the balls alive in the Gunners.

Hobbit you can go for the side challenges and still have fun, build a decent score and walk away thinking you've had a blast for 1/2 hr.

Gunners it is only one game in 4 or 5 where i feel like i've achieved something or had some fun. My average scores are around the 1.5million (best is under 5 and GC score on mine), i'm not a very good player and my reaction times are just not quick enough to save the ball from the left ramp posts most times. Off those targets and straight down the guts.

I also run out of stamina on GnR, forget to breathe when i've got all those balls going and start losing concentration because i am tiring so quick and shaking so much.
Funny i can punch the speedball for 15mins straight and not be panting.

It's just not as much fun for lower class players as Hobbit.

It's much more beautiful though, and i am slowly starting to gain more ball control skills by playing it. I don't hate it like i hate JP, IM and ACDC. (Iron Maiden, well maybe not hate...)

#8194 3 years ago

I'm starting a GNR strim in 20 mins (2PM CST):

http://twitch.tv/nspinball

Come join and see what the "too many multiballs" are about!

#8195 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

The difference tween hobbit and GnR for me is the game is also tougher for me to keep the balls alive in the Gunners.
Hobbit you can go for the side challenges and still have fun, build a decent score and walk away thinking you've had a blast for 1/2 hr.
Gunners it is only one game in 4 or 5 where i feel like i've achieved something or had some fun. My average scores are around the 1.5million (best is under 5 and GC score on mine), i'm not a very good player and my reaction times are just not quick enough to save the ball from the left ramp posts most times. Off those targets and straight down the guts.
I also run out of stamina on GnR, forget to breathe when i've got all those balls going and start losing concentration because i am tiring so quick and shaking so much.
Funny i can punch the speedball for 15mins straight and not be panting.
It's just not as much fun for lower class players as Hobbit.
It's much more beautiful though, and i am slowly starting to gain more ball control skills by playing it. I don't hate it like i hate JP, IM and ACDC. (Iron Maiden, well maybe not hate...)

If GNR is like an onion , The Hobbit is like a bag of onions .

#8196 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

If GNR is like an onion , The Hobbit is like a bag of onions .

Well said young man.

#8197 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Well said young man.

How shiny are your black mirror blades are they really like a mirror , from kjs .

#8198 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I don't -think- so but I could be wrong...I'm constantly discovering things.

I'm not sure either, but I was leaning on "yes". These settings make me think there is something there. And I thought I noticed when I had the crowd maxed, there seems to be more cheering (which prompted the question). If so it's pretty cool, because "maxing" wouldn't just mean higher scores, but amplified experience/moments:

Maximum Volume Effect: specify how extra-loud the game can get, in volume units.

Music Mix: Specify the gain for the music in the game.
0-125: 0-125 Default: 75
Speech Mix: Specify the gain for the speech sounds in the game.
Fanfare Mix: Specify the gain for the fanfares in the game.
FX Mix: Specify the gain for the sound effects (FX) in the game.

#8199 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

How shiny are your black mirror blades are they really like a mirror , from kjs .

Haven't got them installed yet, still got the shits about another mod he sold that didn't work and sulking.

#8200 3 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Led Zeppelin stays. LOL.

Your wallet thanks you...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 210.00
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 28,336 posts in this topic. You are on page 164 of 567.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/164 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.