Cliff notes version:
Get multiball, don’t drain.
Not so much cliff notes version (i.e. the Long version):
The biggest thing is learning the objectives in the song modes and understanding how the inserts move. While each song is different from the next, the overall construct of rules are the same. The light show is HUGE so it can be a bit overwhelming at first.
I suggest starting with songs from use your illusion 2. They are the easiest to pick up and understand. ‘You could be mine’ and ‘civil war’ are really easy to pick up and run with but they are also the hardest to score in. I enjoy playing civil war because it’s all about the upper loop shot (+ 1 other shot is always lit to help).
Next learn band frenzy shots and how the inserts work on the revolver for them. If a band member insert on the revolver is flashing color, shoot that members shot to collect. Collected band members will be solid white on the insert revolver. Collect them all for band frenzy and the revolver will be going nuts with rainbow colors. Again, ‘you could be mine’ and ‘civil war’ are the best songs to learn this because the overall light show is easier to understand.
Once you got those concepts down, move onto other songs and start learning song mode objectives insert shots. It becomes easier and easier once you learn something less overwhelming like ‘you could be mine’ or ‘civil war’ as mentioned above.
All in all you have 4 objectives during a song:
1. Make song objective shots, light scoop green, shoot scoop and level up the song mode.
2. Collect band members and get band frenzy going.
3. Lock balls for power chord. Lock them all and get a power chord jackpot + add a ball.
4. Keep your crowd meter alive *cough* chuck *cough*. When a song is near the end you really want your crowd meter maxed so you can get an encore. Crowd meter increases by making any shots, lit shots boost it higher.
Next step, doing well:
The more balls and members you collect prior to starting a song, the more balls you start with and the longer your ball saver. So lock those balls!
• Always always always get the fender patch, it helps collect members for band frenzy.
• Patches for scoring well: fender + band members
• Patches Wizard mode progression: sponsor patches, sunglasses (for tour multiball), album patches (mainly use your illusion 2 patch for its album mode - hardest album mode to complete).
Scoring vs. wizard mode:
• If you’re going for score and just want to have an absolute Adrenalin rushed risk/reward game, then never cash out of a song and go for encore/band frenzy.
• if you’re going for wizard mode progression, it’s all about those extra balls. when you have the option to cash out of a song, look at the mini LCD, it’ll tell you if you qualified the album mode. If so, cash out (this will light the extra ball). If it’s not complete, then keep playing the song.
Quick tip 1:
Use that power chord guitar lock to store balls and keep the playfield less cluttered to progress song objectives.
Quick tip 2:
If you’re down to one ball in a song mode near the end of the song, you can ‘cheat’ the applause jackpot by shooting scoop when it’s lit green and wait the full 10 seconds. If applause lights during the 10 seconds, it’ll give it to you.
Lastly: have a beer and rock on! Absolute Adrenalin risk/reward fun game.