16A24A0E-479A-434C-A0B6-C207DB4AE529 (resized).jpeg
E9F2885C-5E36-430C-9773-224B2B9DDE5B (resized).jpeg
IMG_20220510_234808 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220510_234103 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220510_233955 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220510_234137 (resized).jpg
litella-nevermind.gif

Topic index (key posts)

69 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 21,627 posts in this topic. You are on page 141 of 433.
#7001 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

B/W games don't suffer like newer games either

Yes they do. Ever wonder why at herb style tournament why everyone tries to get to the games early and often? It’s because by the end of the day the flippers are super tired and some games become extremely difficult to do well on.

It’s always been an issue. There’s just more people noticing now combined with some new games that have ambitious shots that need very consistent flipper performance to work at optimal levels.

This is also not an issue if you typically play a game for 30 mins or less at a time. You’d have to play for at least an hour on most games to see anything noticeable.

#7002 1 year ago

Dumb question (I think), but want to verify...

So the pink monk fan kit... comes with three fans. I assume the three solenoids we are cooling are the left/right flippers and the left ramp diverter yeah? Meaning we are ignoring the upper playfield (on the LE) and the upper right flipper yeah?

#7003 1 year ago
Quoted from reflex33:

Dumb question (I think), but want to verify...
So the pink monk fan kit... comes with three fans. I assume the three solenoids we are cooling are the left/right flippers and the left ramp diverter yeah? Meaning we are ignoring the upper playfield (on the LE) and the upper right flipper yeah?

Nope. No such thing as a dumb question, only stupid answers.
As far as i know the pinmonk 3 fans are for the 2 lower flippers and the upper right flipper. The upper playfield flipper does not loose as much power and the left ramp diverter just needs to hold up the diverter. flipperfade is no issue with that

#7004 1 year ago

On 1.14 and trying to get WiFi update to 1.17. Keep getting "download error" message. Updated earlier over WiFi no problem.

Thought on how to fix this?

#7005 1 year ago
Quoted from cybevenom:

Nope. No such thing as a dumb question, only stupid answers.
As far as i know the pinmonk 3 fans are for the 2 lower flippers and the upper right flipper. The upper playfield flipper does not loose as much power and the left ramp diverter just needs to hold up the diverter. flipperfade is no issue with that

Roger that. Follow up... I know on Karl's stream the left ramp diverter was getting super toasty since it's energized basically the whole game. Since it's not going to "fade", we're just not worried about it then? I thought the heat was concerning for the playfield health.

#7006 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes they do. Ever wonder why at herb style tournament why everyone tries to get to the games early and often? It’s because by the end of the day the flippers are super tired and some games become extremely difficult to do well on.
It’s always been an issue. There’s just more people noticing now combined with some new games that have ambitious shots that need very consistent flipper performance to work at optimal levels.
This is also not an issue if you typically play a game for 30 mins or less at a time. You’d have to play for at least an hour on most games to see anything noticeable.

Interesting - didn't realise.

I will say on my KISS, I can backhand right ramp, but after 5 mins I can't.

Think I will buy shares in pinmonk flipper fans

#7007 1 year ago

KISS right ramp is a great example. Munsters and Star Wars right ramps are other examples.

#7008 1 year ago
Quoted from reflex33:

Roger that. Follow up... I know on Karl's stream the left ramp diverter was getting super toasty since it's energized basically the whole game. Since it's not going to "fade", we're just not worried about it then? I thought the heat was concerning for the playfield health.

be worried. My game is bust because the coil fried the transistor... Coil might also be fried - week old game ->

IMG_0651 (resized).JPG

Neil.

#7009 1 year ago

If it popped the transistor, surely that means the coil shorted so it's toast. They're going to need to do something with the code for the magnet and the diverter because the hardware is under-engineered for the long multiball play on GNR. Flipper fade is a problem too.

#7010 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Please document the install!

Will do my friend. Will do.

#7011 1 year ago

I’m not convinced. It could have just as easily been a blown transistor that heated up the coil.

There is no big problem here.

Quoted from DrJoe:

If it popped the transistor, surely that means the coil shorted so it's toast. They're going to need to do something with the code for the magnet and the diverter because the hardware is under-engineered for the long multiball play on GNR. Flipper fade is a problem too.

#7012 1 year ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I’m not convinced. It could have just as easily been a blown transistor that heated up the coil.
There is no big problem here.

Uh, maybe, but the magnets are definitely overheating and blowing the thermal fuse, and the diverter coil gets super hot during play after a couple games only, so why wouldn't it keep getting hotter to the point of shorting? Maybe they can dial back usage of both these coils in the code.

Go under the hood after a one hour session and feel your diverter coil (on a CE or LE) and you'll maybe be convinced.

#7013 1 year ago

Coils get hot.

All I’m saying is, this is the first report I’ve seen of a coil burning up, which might have been caused by other things.

Let’s not jump to conclusions.

Quoted from DrJoe:

Uh, maybe, but the magnets are definitely overheating and blowing the thermal fuse, and the diverter coil gets super hot during play after a couple games only, so why wouldn't it keep getting hotter to the point of shorting? Maybe they can dial back usage of both these coils in the code.
Go under the hood after a one hour session and feel your diverter coil (on a CE or LE) and you'll maybe be convinced.

#7014 1 year ago
Quoted from cybevenom:

unfortunately when i went on the site this morning (saturday) it was allready sold out. Just have to a bit more patience...
Game still plays great but if i might be going the streaming route in the future it will have to be there. Watching the website like a hawk....

Just getting it set up. I needed to add all the JJP machines first, so it's 0 stock until I have that all ready.

Should be up shortly.

#7015 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

be worried. My game is bust because the coil fried the transistor... Coil might also be fried - week old game ->
[quoted image]
Neil.

Is that the diverter coil?

#7016 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Just getting it set up. I needed to add all the JJP machines first, so it's 0 stock until I have that all ready.
Should be up shortly.

sweet. refreshing the site like crazy

#7017 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Is that the diverter coil?

yup.

#7018 1 year ago

Bingo. JJP pinmonk cooling fans ordered. Looking forward to seeing it in action in my GNR LE.

#7019 1 year ago
Quoted from cybevenom:

Bingo. JJP pinmonk cooling fans ordered. Looking forward to seeing it in action in my GNR LE.

Same here.

#7020 1 year ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

I agree, the design for that divertor isn't going to cut it. Put it this way if I was an operator I wouldn't put this game on site for fear of it burning the place down.

#7021 1 year ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Coils get hot.
All I’m saying is, this is the first report I’ve seen of a coil burning up, which might have been caused by other things.
Let’s not jump to conclusions.

what do you mean "other things". I played the game, I did have the anti jam thing fall off but this was already a problem before that.

I know of one other with this issue.

I think that design is going to give some issues in the future. It also has an added bonus if the connecting rod unwinds it will start taking chunks out of the playfield!

Neil.

#7022 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I agree, the design for that divertor isn't going to cut it. Put it this way if I was an operator I wouldn't put this game on site for fear of it burning the place down.

Software changes helped the temps on the diverter, but I don't know if they can ever do enough in software alone. Before the software change it was hitting 219F, which is crazy. After the software change it would come close to 200F, but couldn't crack it. But close to 200F for long play stretches is bad.

IMO, it should have a springloaded locking clip and a mini coil to fire that releases the lock as needed. That way both coils would only pulse once with no holds.

#7023 1 year ago

I don't have a digital meat level so where on the bubble should the pitch be for around 6.8°. I have a party starting in 2 hours and I want to make sure it's just right thank you guys very much

#7024 1 year ago

That should do it for you. Have fun at the party

20210313_224912 (resized).jpg20210313_225317 (resized).jpg

#7025 1 year ago
Quoted from TaTa:

I don't have a digital meat level so where on the bubble should the pitch be for around 6.8°. I have a party starting in 2 hours and I want to make sure it's just right thank you guys very much

If you really want your meat to be level you can use a phone ap to do it. Better than relying on the bubble.

I use one called clinometer, be sure to take the cover off, then place it on the playfield in a few spots to get a bit of an average. It gives angle and tilt from side to side which is more important again.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plaincode.clinometer&hl=en

#7026 1 year ago

I checked the Pin Monk shop for JJP flipper fan kit but don’t see anything. Not even the item with “sold out”. Am I looking in the wrong place or has it already been pulled/sold out? Thx!

#7027 1 year ago
Quoted from BeeGee6533:

I checked the Pin Monk shop for JJP flipper fan kit but don’t see anything. Not even the item with “sold out”. Am I looking in the wrong place or has it already been pulled/sold out? Thx!

https://pinmonk.com/collections/new-and-top-sellers/products/tibetan-breeze-jjp-pin-3-flipper-cooling-kit

#7029 1 year ago

Wonder if i offer my LE up for sale if it will be the first one sold second hand?

#7030 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

Wonder if i offer my LE up for sale if it will be the first one sold second hand?

It won't. There have been others before you who sold theirs.

#7031 1 year ago
Quoted from cybevenom:

It won't. There have been others before you who sold theirs.

The rules are too complicated for my tiny brain. It's a great machine but i can't see myself ever figuring all the patch shit out and the rest is just as complicated. Been playing the machines around it a lot more than GnR.

I like a simple ruleset with some variation in what you can go for, so as far as new machines go, think deadpool and AFM.

#7032 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

The rules are too complicated for my tiny brain. It's a great machine but i can't see myself ever figuring all the patch shit out and the rest is just as complicated. Been playing the machines around it a lot more than GnR.
I like a simple ruleset with some variation in what you can go for, so as far as new machines go, think deadpool and AFM.

I think the rules are pretty simple. Think about it as two distinct phases pre-song and song:

PRE-SONG: Goal is to lock balls and get the best booster multiballs going into the song:

Lights: Hits to target on upper playfield, then purple shots
Amps: Spell AMP in the inlane, then yellow shots
Pyro: Hit the pyro target/sling behind Slash's hat, then spinners/switches until the fuse appears, hit action in the sweet spot to collect
Crowd: Hit skill shots and the under flipper shot, then blue shots

The perfect world is to stack all 4, collect several rounds of jackpots, and lock as many balls on the neck as you can.

SONG: Hit the shots for the song (indicated on the small screen), and the scoop. Repeat as much as you can in the song to boost jackpot.

PATCHES:

Now, patches are extra. They really aren't complicated - select which one you want from the action button and collect by spelling the GNR inlane. Each patch tells you what it does on the screen when you select it. THere are patch sets, but there are only a small number of them.

Sets are for the most part color coded the same at the action button.
Pink: Bra/panty set (double bonus)
Orange: amp/hand/firecracker/lights set (unlimited booster multiballs)
Yellow: poster/t-shirt set (reduces power meter decay in songs)

#7033 1 year ago

LOL. The inability to handle minor issues and the arm chair engineering is out of control.

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

what do you mean "other things". I played the game, I did have the anti jam thing fall off but this was already a problem before that.
I know of one other with this issue.
I think that design is going to give some issues in the future. It also has an added bonus if the connecting rod unwinds it will start taking chunks out of the playfield!
Neil.

#7034 1 year ago

Most of my issue is that i am not a good enough player to look away from the flippers. On the simpler machines (AFM in the examples) i know the only thing i have to look up for is the top inlanes. i can do that, but not really during multi's.

The other shots are muscle memory (ramps and orbits) and queued by the callouts, with an occasional glance at the big orange lights just above the flippers for getting to annihilation. I never look at the backglass while playing and i've never once looked at the small screen on either my Hobbit or GnR.

Even the switching on the out/inlanes on walking Dead gets too complicated for me and i don't bother for the ball save.

I didn't even know there was a target under slash's hat till you told me.

Started destroying my brain at an early age and haven't slowed down a bit. But honestly thanks for the explanations, i'll learn something from it for sure, even if it's only where the multi balls are coming from.

#7035 1 year ago
Quoted from jalpert:

LOL. The inability to handle minor issues and the arm chair engineering is out of control.

sorry that will be the engineer in me!

when the coil goes next time I'll wait until the game is visibly on fire - and the smell of fanboy is fully fragrant LOL

#7036 1 year ago

Or learn how to use a DMM. Fire, DMM, it’s up to you.

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

sorry that will be the engineer in me!
when the coil goes next time I'll wait until the game is visibly on fire - and the smell of fanboy is fully fragrant LOL

#7037 1 year ago

I vote fire and redolent odour of fanboy/troll or whatever you call someone who doesn't agree with you.

That would be a stream i would watch.

#7038 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

Most of my issue is that i am not a good enough player to look away from the flippers. On the simpler machines (AFM in the examples) i know the only thing i have to look up for is the top inlanes. i can do that, but not really during multi's.
The other shots are muscle memory (ramps and orbits) and queued by the callouts, with an occasional glance at the big orange lights just above the flippers for getting to annihilation. I never look at the backglass while playing and i've never once looked at the small screen on either my Hobbit or GnR.
Even the switching on the out/inlanes on walking Dead gets too complicated for me and i don't bother for the ball save.
I didn't even know there was a target under slash's hat till you told me.
Started destroying my brain at an early age and haven't slowed down a bit. But honestly thanks for the explanations, i'll learn something from it for sure, even if it's only where the multi balls are coming from.

Give it time. Not sure why you keep comparing it to AFM, you have 24 games in your collection, more than half of them are way more complicated than GNR. Like most games, it takes time to learn the shots, rules, and overall concept.

#7039 1 year ago
Quoted from jalpert:

JJP Fanboy notice: everyone bust out their dmm and check the resistance of each coil in the machine, before each game, and between balls. No big deal. Coils get hot. Nothing to see here. Look at all the lights!

#7040 1 year ago
Quoted from jalpert:

yup that'll help with a physical design problem! now if code adjustments on the coil had been made then I might be onto something...

#7041 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Give it time. Not sure why you keep comparing it to AFM, you have 24 games in your collection, more than half of them are way more complicated than GNR. Like most games, it takes time to learn the shots, rules, and overall concept.

I guess because AFM is next to it. I also know all the major rules to it, i think.
I have a few games, but only 4 are up the front and on other than comp day (today YEAH!) or when i have a few people here.

More than half? Jeez. Hobbit is has a complex ruleset, but you can enjoy the game just hitting the shots without learning about getting modes alongside others etc.

Alice is a bit complex, but i don't play it much cause it's usually broken.

Houdini is a complicated rule set, but i know how to start most of the multi's and just enjoy hitting and hoping for the rest of it, dunno what else i have that's as complex as GnR.

Don't get me wrong, i am not complaining, just not sure the machine is suited to getting the most out of it my limited skill set.

#7042 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

I vote fire and redolent odour of fanboy/troll or whatever you call someone who doesn't agree with you.
That would be a stream i would watch.

we could also add a smothering of assumptive-know-it-all ----> IT WILL BREAK THE INTERNET!

#7043 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

Don't get me wrong, i am not complaining, just not sure the machine is suited to getting the most out of it my limited skill set.

if you enjoy playing the game does it matter?

#7044 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

I guess because AFM is next to it. I also know all the major rules to it, i think.
I have a few games, but only 4 are up the front .

You need to separate those 2 mate

20210219_222442 (resized).jpg
#7045 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

if you enjoy playing the game does it matter?

Well that's the thing, i'm not getting as much as i can out of it. It's only been here a month or so, but it fell out of favourite spot much quicker than most of the games i get. Because it's frustrating me i guess. Can't even break 4 mill.

I'm sure i'll get used to it eventually and she's a pretty bitch, no question.

#7046 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

You need to separate those 2 mate [quoted image]

Case in point, see where his attention is?

#7047 1 year ago

Wanted to get some ideas on how to protect a clear coat issue I have at the, "make some noise" flipper. The game was like this nib before I even played it and I haven't given it much thought, I figured if this might be an issue years down the road I would like to prevent any major issues if I can.

20210313_193127 (resized).jpg
#7048 1 year ago

So Saturday night and no code update to 1.17? I still have no luck.

#7049 1 year ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

So Saturday night and no code update to 1.17? I still have no luck.

I went from 1.16 to 1.17 via USB and it was very quick. Delta upgrade.

#7050 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I went from 1.16 to 1.17 via USB and it was very quick. Delta upgrade.

Is 1.17 worth it? I’m still on 1.14 because of all the issues that people have posted about

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.00
Lighting - Interactive
Cheap Drainz Shop
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 60.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
There are 21,627 posts in this topic. You are on page 141 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!