Screenshot_20240314-145241 (resized).png
IMG_2284.gif
giphy.gif
Key-Visual-825x466 (resized).jpg
tom_segura (resized).jpg
PXL_20240313_221935371 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240313_222206086~2 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 27,994 posts in this topic. You are on page 139 of 560.
#6901 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Booster multiballs, album sales, patches, and ball locks before starting the songs.

Quoted from Tsskinne:

Oh and don't cash out of a song, keep doing the add-a-ball to make it more valuable, get to the applause jackpot and encore songs so they are even more valuable.

Thank you! I was cashing out as soon as i knew i played a song long enough to get to album mode.

#6902 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Thank you! I was cashing out as soon as i knew i played a song long enough to get to album mode.

Yeah the applause jackpot is lit at the last 10 seconds of the song, and if you have kept the meter up on the right side of the large display it will send you into an encore of another song from that album with even higher scoring. The fun for me on the game has come from that risk reward of building up the jackpots as high as possible. That being said I'm with you, I think the game is okay, but I'm not in love with it. I am still prefering Hot Wheels myself, and Avengers is getting up there with the 1.0 code now as well.

#6903 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

But damn 3 minutes of a song and you should have a good jackpot going, if your not hitting shots your going to get booed of the stage. Not sure how your not scoring points. Not having the skill shots multi is not going to hurt you that much for scoring.

I am a decent player and have yet to make it 2 songs in. You are either better then you think, or like I said trolling.

#6904 3 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

But damn 3 minutes of a song and you should have a good jackpot going, if your not hitting shots your going to get booed of the stage. Not sure how your not scoring points. Not having the skill shots multi is not going to hurt you that much for scoring.
I am a decent player and have yet to make it 2 songs in. You are either better then you think, or like I said trolling.

Oh ive gotten booed off stage now on 1.17 code, didnt seem like it as much on 1.15. Last night the game kicked my ass. Sorta seems like your trolling me now...

#6905 3 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

If you are changing your song instead of playing whichever song comes up I believe the scoring is reduced as well.

#6906 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

If you are changing your song instead of playing whichever song comes up I believe the scoring is reduced as well.

Yes this is very important, I did not know that until a few days of ownership, now I just play whatever is ready. And that has really improved scoring.

#6907 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Still making Deadpool's.

No thanks.

#6908 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Oh ive gotten booed off stage now on 1.17 code, didnt seem like it as much on 1.15. Last night the game kicked my ass. Sorta seems like your trolling me now...

Hah nope not a troll. You are for sure a good player if your getting that deep 2 days in. 200 plays in for me and not even close. But I have changed my settings a lot. 3 minutes of song mode 6 ball multi-ball was just not fun to me. Try changing things around, maybe you will like it. But some people love that non-stop 6 ball multi-ball. I do not.

Can someone explain album sales to me? I am not sure what they do and how I am collection them, is there a graphic or lights showing the progress of said album sales?

#6909 3 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

Hah nope not a troll. You are for sure a good player if your getting that deep 2 days in. 200 plays in for me and not even close. But I have changed my settings a lot. 3 minutes of song mode 6 ball multi-ball was just not fun to me. Try changing things around, maybe you will like it. But some people love that non-stop 6 ball multi-ball. I do not.
Can someone explain album sales to me? I am not sure what they do and how I am collection them, is there a graphic or lights showing the progress of said album sales?

Honestly I had no idea how the boosters worked in the game when I made it deeper into code. I just played it to get to wizard as fast as possible. Now that you guys took me to GnR jackpot school I'm excited to see how big of jackpots i can pull off! I can say I do enjoy the multiball trance it puts me in with 6 balls just flooding me but made my hands hurt first day, lol!

#6910 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Honestly I had no idea how the boosters worked in the game when I made it deeper into code. I just played it to get to wizard as fast as possible. Now that you guys took me to GnR jackpot school I'm excited to see how big of jackpots i can pull off! I can say I do enjoy the multiball trance it puts me in with 6 balls just flooding me but made my hands hurt first day, lol!

Nothing like having a huge jackpot built up only to choke like a dog trying to cash out during applause jackpot

I think you said it right, it’s a relaxing (but high energy) game. You basically pick a song to jam out to and see how big you can blow it up. It’s a nice change of pace from other games

#6911 3 years ago

Is anyone having issues with collecting patches? It seems to me that the outlane lights and the backbox lights don't track progress on patches very well.

#6912 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Based on what? I'm loving my game.

Hey zaphX It seems that all I read on the GNR posts are one problem with this game after another. People having major problem's. with the updating of machine. and as of late they cant even put stickers on properly. I have played the game and enjoyed it very much Just scared of having a game that I have to pay pay pay to repair . Must say I really enjoy reading your inputs and it great all the help you offer others on the site. Also you handle some of the jackasses that are on here quite well. I guess I will just keep my fingers crossed that by the time game I ordered Oct. will have all these [problems sorted. Keep up the great work you do with trying to help dummies like me on here zaphX.As for some others on here with there smart ass comments.[GET IN THE RING]

#6913 3 years ago

You must look for something different in a pinball machine than me. Was pretty happy when that was my only machine. Would still be happy if it was my only machine again, although i'd choose my old Hankin Orbit 1 given my druthers and a choice of only one.

#6914 3 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

Yes this is very important, I did not know that until a few days of ownership, now I just play whatever is ready. And that has really improved scoring.

Unless the song next is This I Love. Then I always change it because that I hate.

#6915 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Is anyone having issues with collecting patches? It seems to me that the outlane lights and the backbox lights don't track progress on patches very well.

It can be tough at first to understand what lane is active and will add progress when the ball travels thru the lane. When going for patches, I'll trap up when possible and use the other flipper button have the AMP lane active. Then when I shoot and hopefully hit the left ramp, that flipper press made the GNR lane active and will make patch progress.

#6916 3 years ago

What's the gunshot during song? Haven't had a chance to look up, but is it just mystery?

#6917 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of how this works. This is true of almost EVERY PINBALL MACHINE since the 80s.

Pressing the Right flipper, moves the lights to the right (Inlane/Outane, AND Top Lanes)

If you have 2 letters of "AMP" collected, and then you press the right flipper... those 2 lights move to the GNR Lane. If you have 2 letters of JAM Lit and then press the right flipper, those 2 move to the AMP Lane.

Or you can move them the other way with the left flipper.

You are always cycling the lights either left or right.

You should ALWAYS be moving lights to collect sets, in both the top lanes and the inlane and outlanes of almost every modern pinball machine.

If you're trying to collect patches and start AMP multiball (Whatever it's called... "Turn it Up?!"), it's imperative that you understand this process.

If you're about to roll through the GNR Lane, and notice you have 2 JAM letters collected, quickly press the left flipper once to move those 2 lights to the GNR Lane. Rolling over the lane will complete.

You're not REALLY collecting specific letters, You're collecting sets of lights.

Hopefully that's helpful to the folks who didn't understand it.

Apologies if that's not what you're trying to say here. Several posts by different people have made me think this fundamental process isn't understood.

#6918 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

What's the gunshot during song? Haven't had a chance to look up, but is it just mystery?

Band frenzy (i.e. switch frenzy). Then you’ll hear a reload click when it’s over and it’ll be available to qualify again.

#6919 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

You must look for something different in a pinball machine than me. Was pretty happy when that was my only machine. Would still be happy if it was my only machine again, although i'd choose my old Hankin Orbit 1 given my druthers and a choice of only one.

I’m more old school. Bally/Williams and now JJP. I may get a American Pinball or Spooky to throw in the mix one day.

#6920 3 years ago

I have a GNR SE for reference purposes. Have the wifi updating issues been fixed? I try to update to 1.17 via wifi, the update goes real fast but doesn't actually update and when the machine restarts its still on 1.16.

Thanks

#6921 3 years ago
Quoted from chet218:

I have a GNR SE for reference purposes. Have the wifi updating issues been fixed? I try to update to 1.17 via wifi, the update goes real fast but doesn't actually update and when the machine restarts its still on 1.16.
Thanks

Same for me on the LE

#6922 3 years ago

Pretty sure the 1.17 code is pulled. 404 error in the game trying to find it and 404 when trying to manually download it.

#6923 3 years ago

You can't make every game the same. Gnr took several chances, and I'm pretty happy with the general response to it, so I'd say they paid off.

It's a game that is certainly more than the sum of its parts, and there's not much I'd change about anything other than obvious tidying up.

We really wanted to make an experience, and for it to be fun. We were questioning ourselves for awhile, but it all started coming together near the end and we had a great time battling reach other. Seems most people ”get it”.

The maxim you can't please all people all the time certainly holds.

#6924 3 years ago

Most people absolutely get it.

You nailed it. You all did.

Quoted from pinball_keefer:

You can't make every game the same. Gnr took several chances, and I'm pretty happy with the general response to it, so I'd say they paid off.
It's a game that is certainly more than the sum of its parts, and there's not much I'd change about anything other than obvious tidying up.
We really wanted to make an experience, and for it to be fun. We were questioning ourselves for awhile, but it all started coming together near the end and we had a great time battling reach other. Seems most people ”get it”.

#6925 3 years ago
Quoted from SDVmnt:

Pretty sure the 1.17 code is pulled. 404 error in the game trying to find it and 404 when trying to manually download it.

I noticed that yesterday already

#6926 3 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I think you really nailed the experience. About all you could add is a branch of mini wizard modes where you complete the band member's solo/alternate projects. But, while potentially fun, that would probably have been licensing hell and doesn't exactly mesh with this specific tour theme.

But what was the deal with that left diverter almost always being on? Why didn't it have a lock and a lock-releasing mini-coil so it didn't need to be held for long stretches, heating it up to 200F?

#6927 3 years ago

What are some of the most beneficial single patch's to collect? What are you all trying to get first and second?

What about a patch awarded for super skill shot? Or would that be to easy to collect?

#6928 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I’m more old school. Bally/Williams and now JJP. I may get a American Pinball or Spooky to throw in the mix one day

There's no question you've owned enough machines to know what you like.

Have a look at my collection, 2 spookies, 2 JJP, 2 gottliebs, 3 sterns, 2 hankins, 1 x AP. The rest are all Bally/Williams (the best machines made) and i don't know how long one of the Gottliebs will be staying.

I don't think we are that far apart at all, cept for DP.

#6929 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Is this the GnR owners thread?

#6930 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Yeah and I’m looking to own one so it’s the proper venue.
Lots of trolls over here so I should have known better.

Nah, we gotta good thing going on over here, trolls don't last long. Best not to fuck it up.

#6931 3 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

What are some of the most beneficial single patch's to collect? What are you all trying to get first and second?
What about a patch awarded for super skill shot? Or would that be to easy to collect?

In order (the patches in the pair can be reversed, but each pair in sequence)
T-Shirt & Poster
Bra & Underwear
Sunglasses
Pick

#6932 3 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of how this works. This is true of almost EVERY PINBALL MACHINE since the 80s.
Pressing the Right flipper, moves the lights to the right (Inlane/Outane, AND Top Lanes)
If you have 2 letters of "AMP" collected, and then you press the right flipper... those 2 lights move to the GNR Lane. If you have 2 letters of JAM Lit and then press the right flipper, those 2 move to the AMP Lane.
Or you can move them the other way with the left flipper.
You are always cycling the lights either left or right.
You should ALWAYS be moving lights to collect sets, in both the top lanes and the inlane and outlanes of almost every modern pinball machine.
If you're trying to collect patches and start AMP multiball (Whatever it's called... "Turn it Up?!"), it's imperative that you understand this process.
If you're about to roll through the GNR Lane, and notice you have 2 JAM letters collected, quickly press the left flipper once to move those 2 lights to the GNR Lane. Rolling over the lane will complete.
You're not REALLY collecting specific letters, You're collecting sets of lights.
Hopefully that's helpful to the folks who didn't understand it.
Apologies if that's not what you're trying to say here. Several posts by different people have made me think this fundamental process isn't understood.

Thanks for your response.

My issue, thoroughly under explained in my initial post, is that either the game doesn't award patches correctly all the time or there are sometimes when patches just get awarded extra easily or the indicators on the outlane and/or backbox don't accurately reflect how many additional shots are required to collect a patch.

On your first ball there are no lights lit on the outlanes. Pressing the flippers doesn't highlight any of the outlanes. So you roll a ball through one of the outlanes and now you have a lit lane that you can cycle with your flippers. At this point it doesn't appear that any lane progress has been recorded.
Roll another ball through a lit(single light flashing) lane and now you should have a single solid light and a second light flashing for that lane. When you look on the backbox it is likely to show that no progress has been made toward the patch. Shoot the mini-playfield and let it drain. You will now see in the backglass that the first letter of the patch is lit. Shoot the mini-playfield and let it drain again and it will award the patch as if you just made two shots at once.
There are many different variations on this theme but it is distracting not being able to rely on the patch progress indicator in the backbox and or the lights on the outlane.

Also it appears that as you are cycling between the outlanes you actually have two 'lit' or 'hot' outlanes at a time and what you are cycling is the 'dead' outlane.

Or do I have it entirely wrong.

Lastly it seemed that in 1.14 the left outlanes were both yellow lights. Now it appears since 1.16 the AMP outlane is yellow and the GnR (patch) outlane is blue. Did it change? Anybody know?

#6933 3 years ago

Not throwing salt on any one, but in my experience, the Wi-fi downloads have been pretty smooth. The latest 1.17 update was fastest one yet.
There was no need to keep the coin door open either (but I did this last time just in case).

Not like USB updates are difficult, but it sure beats having to take off the translite like other modern games.
Thank you JJP! Keep 'em coming.

#6934 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

My issue, thoroughly under explained in my initial post, is that either the game doesn't award patches correctly all the time or there are sometimes when patches just get awarded extra easily or the indicators on the outlane and/or backbox don't accurately reflect how many additional shots are required to collect a patch.
On your first ball there are no lights lit on the outlanes. Pressing the flippers doesn't highlight any of the outlanes. So you roll a ball through one of the outlanes and now you have a lit lane that you can cycle with your flippers. At this point it doesn't appear that any lane progress has been recorded.
Roll another ball through a lit(single light flashing) lane and now you should have a single solid light and a second light flashing for that lane. When you look on the backbox it is likely to show that no progress has been made toward the patch. Shoot the mini-playfield and let it drain. You will now see in the backglass that the first letter of the patch is lit. Shoot the mini-playfield and let it drain again and it will award the patch as if you just made two shots at once.
There are many different variations on this theme but it is distracting not being able to rely on the patch progress indicator in the backbox and or the lights on the outlane.
Also it appears that as you are cycling between the outlanes you actually have two 'lit' or 'hot' outlanes at a time and what you are cycling is the 'dead' outlane.
Lastly it seemed that in 1.14 the left outlanes were both yellow lights. Now it appears since 1.16 the AMP outlane is yellow and the GnR (patch) outlane is blue. Did it change? Anybody know?

You are cycling the lights on the lanes, like any other game, except there are multiple lights in each lane. So if you have 2 lights lit on one lane and 1 each on the others, you can move the 2 lights around. Pay closer attention or mess with it with the glass off and it will become apparent.

#6935 3 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

Fender, Gibson, Marshall, Vater. If still early in the game, then panties and bra, but don't bother if it's later in the game.

#6936 3 years ago

I go at first to get the 4 boosters patches (Light / AMP / Horn Hand / Firecracker) because the game is so drainy, it's better to be able to start several times the booster multi ball before starting a song.

Then I use to select the 4 sponsors in order to enable the extra ball.

After a song, get the patch to help you in the mini wizard mode you are qualified for.

#6937 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Your explanation is a little confusing, but I think I see what you're saying. I think you're missing something about this. You don't progress lanes. You only light lights, which can then be moved. You can "Cash in a full set" anywhere. You are not progressing the lane. You are collecting sets of lights.

Usually this is done horizontally. In the case of most games, you are collecting a word that the outlanes and inlanes are spelling out. You don't need to roll out both outlanes to collect the word, you just cycle the unlit lights in to the inlanes at the correct time.

This is crucial to understand. You are NOT completing Lanes... Just light Sets.

So, you can collect 2 lights by rolling over the right inlane spelling "J" and "A" towards Jam. REMEMBER you haven't collected those letters specifically, you've merely collected 2 lights in that lane. Then if you make the left ramp, you can use the flippers to cycle the 2 lights you collected in the Right inlane over to the 2nd of the left inlanes, and complete a set on GNR to award a patch. OR you can bump them over to complete "AMP" and start multiball.

One Caveat I'll issue is that SOMETIMES when the ball drops from the upper playfield, I'm awarded 2 lights. I'm not sure if that's a switch error, or something I'm accidentally activating via code. Anybody have clarification on that??

#6938 3 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

#1 fender fender fender (this helps a bunch for band frenzy as I understand).

After that, depends on the mood I’m in but typically I go for all the band members patches:
• Vater + Duff skull for their band member shots + increased song scoring
• thunder chucker (drumsticks) is always nice for super jets
• Rose and fuzzy Mic for spotting axl easier in band frenzy
• slash hat
• Melissa
• sunglasses when I come out of a song to get tour lit quicker

Heck....I’m just gonna say all, I go for all the patches

I will say when the diverter is down I can really exploit the patch system with left/right ramp combos. If I had an SE, I imagine I’d have almost every patch by the end of a game.

#6939 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

There's no question you've owned enough machines to know what you like.
Have a look at my collection, 2 spookies, 2 JJP, 2 gottliebs, 3 sterns, 2 hankins, 1 x AP. The rest are all Bally/Williams (the best machines made) and i don't know how long one of the Gottliebs will be staying.
I don't think we are that far apart at all, cept for DP.

Our collections have a variety for sure. Call me stupid but I like Americas Most Haunted. Might get one. But as of right now, no pin I own has the right to sit beside by GNRCE.

#6940 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Our collections have a variety for sure. Call me stupid but I like Americas Most Haunted. Might get one. But as of right now, no pin I own has the right to sit beside by GNRCE.

You'd think.. but that left ramp is dangerous. It's so close to the flippers that hitting the standup target directly to the right of the entrance results in a STDM drain a LOT.

#6941 3 years ago

Patches are randomly assigned right? So when you say you are going for a specific patch you are just waiting for it?

#6942 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Patches are randomly assigned right? So when you say you are going for a specific patch you are just waiting for it?

What? Kidding I assume?

#6943 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Use the lockdown bar button to select which patch you want to work on.

#6944 3 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Your explanation is a little confusing, but I think I see what you're saying. I think you're missing something about this. You don't progress lanes. You only light lights, which can then be moved. You can "Cash in a full set" anywhere. You are not progressing the lane. You are collecting sets of lights.
Usually this is done horizontally. In the case of most games, you are collecting a word that the outlanes and inlanes are spelling out. You don't need to roll out both outlanes to collect the word, you just cycle the unlit lights in to the inlanes at the correct time.
So, you can collect 2 lights by rolling over the right inlane spelling "J" and "A" towards Jam. REMEMBER you haven't collected those letters specifically, you've merely collected 2 lights in that lane. Then if you make the left ramp, you can use the flippers to cycle the 2 lights you collected in the Right inlane over to the 2nd of the left inlanes, and complete a set on GNR to award a patch. OR you can bump them over to complete "AMP" and start multiball.
One Caveat I'll issue is that SOMETIMES when the ball drops from the upper playfield, I'm awarded 2 lights. I'm not sure if that's a switch error, or something I'm accidentally activating via code. Anybody have clarification on that??

Thank you for patience.
If I understand you correctly, if I hit a flashing lane I get another light. Once I have two lights I pick which lane I want to cash in on. So the only time the lane really matters other than adding another light is on the third light. That third light lane is the reward.

#6945 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Use the lockdown bar button to select which patch you want to work on.

ha, for some reason I thought that just cycled through the patches that I had already collected. You're saying I can choose any patch before collecting it and that is what I will earn?

#6946 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

ha, for some reason I thought that just cycled through the patches that I had already collected. You're saying I can choose any patch before collecting it and that is what I will earn?

Yes, you can choose what you get.

#6947 3 years ago
Quoted from Gambeno:

Yes, you can choose what you get.

lol good to know

#6948 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Thank you for patience.
If I understand you correctly, if I hit a flashing lane I get another light. Once I have two lights I pick which lane I want to cash in on. So the only time the lane really matters other than adding another light is on the third light. That third light lane is the reward.

Happy to help... If that's what I'm doing!??

Lane doesn't ever flash as far as I know?! You are awarded a single light for every lane you roll through. Even if you roll UP the lane as often happens when you trap a high speed ball.

You are correct, the 3rd light completes set, no matter where it happens. There is no "Active" Lane, other than the one the ball is rolling through to award a light.

Completing a Set on the Left starts Turn it Up Multiball.

Completing a Set on the second Left Inlane awards a Patch.

Completing a Set in the Right Inlane lights to "Jam" Target to spot a band member.

#6949 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

lol good to know

For you.

1953B232-E7A0-4408-B00A-16FBFBE27EB8 (resized).jpeg1953B232-E7A0-4408-B00A-16FBFBE27EB8 (resized).jpeg
#6950 3 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

This should be a key Post .

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
There are 27,994 posts in this topic. You are on page 139 of 560.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/139 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.