Screenshot_20240314-145241 (resized).png
IMG_2284.gif
giphy.gif
Key-Visual-825x466 (resized).jpg
tom_segura (resized).jpg
PXL_20240313_221935371 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240313_222206086~2 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 27,994 posts in this topic. You are on page 129 of 560.
#6401 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Do you guys think I could just use something like this to connect it?
ebay.com link: 1PC NEW 10PIN Solderless Push in Pin Header 2x5 0 1 2 54mm spacing
I really don’t want to take out the board and take my horrible soldering skills to this thing....

If you've got to add he header anyway, why half-ass it? Put the right angle connector on. That Amazon one will require you to cut or somehow move the plastic shield over the board because the wire will point straight out.

#6402 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

ebay.com link: 1PC NEW 10PIN Solderless Push in Pin Header 2x5 0 1 2 54mm spacing
I really don’t want to take out the board and take my horrible soldering skills to this thing....

Looks like the SE board is missing all the components on top.

#6403 3 years ago
Quoted from dug:

Looks like the SE board is missing all the components on top.

Hmmm do you think that will prevent the headphone adapter from working? Seems insane to sell a music pin that can’t be used with headphones?

#6404 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Happy Friday, just waiting to hear LE’s are back on the line

I got my payment request for my Day 1 LE order yesterday, FWIW.

#6405 3 years ago

LEs back on the line! Wooohooo!

93E15953-0999-43BA-82C7-300C8E965CBD.gif93E15953-0999-43BA-82C7-300C8E965CBD.gif
#6406 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Hmmm do you think that will prevent the headphone adapter from working? Seems insane to sell a music pin that can’t be used with headphones?

Yeah, it looks like all the stuff to drive that output is also missing and the board is specifically labeled for SE machines, so it's likely not working even if you add the header.

All that is is audio out, though, so you could probably put a splitter on the audio output on the mini-headphone port on back of the PC motherboard and run that to the jack on the front with a long cable and an adapter to that 4 pin connector.

#6407 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, it looks like all the stuff to drive that output is also missing and the board is specifically labeled for SE machines, so it's likely not working even if you add the header.
All that is is audio out, though, so you could probably put a splitter on the audio output on the mini-headphone port on back of the PC motherboard and run that to the jack on the front with a long cable and an adapter to that 4 pin connector.

Do you think I would be able to use the volume control? Could you show me what kind of adapter you are talking about? Thanks

#6408 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Do you think I would be able to use the volume control? Could you show me what kind of adapter you are talking about? Thanks

I'm not sure what output the PC motherboard in your jjGnR has, but most PC motherboards have both line out and stereo out (amplified), so the volume control should work since you can choose which output it needs (amplified or not). For the cable, I don't know of an existing one, you'd likely have to make it. I thought pinnovators would have a kit for this, but it looks like they don't, so I don't have a ready-made recommendation for this SE-only dilemma.

#6409 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I'll be home tomorrow if you want me to solder it in for you. I have the connector in stock too.
Ah but after reading more, I can see that you don't have those other components on your board.

How many of you out there want a Pinnovators headphone kit for an SE???
If enough people want one then we will consider it!

Mark

#6410 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkA:

I'll be home tomorrow if you want me to solder it in for you. I have the connector in stock too.
I'm not too far from you.
Mark

#6411 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkA:

I don't need or want one, however I'd be in on one if if meant it helped get one made for people who do.

#6412 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkA:

Ah but after reading more, I can see that you don't have those other components on your board.
Mark

Dunno how many SEs will eventually get made, but it seems like a large number of them will be looking for something like this...

#6413 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkA:

Mark

Hey mark nice to see we are in the same area. Id definitely be interested and If you ever need an SE guinea pig im your man

#6414 3 years ago

Little word of caution. I have my GNR LE for a week now and i noticed that the flipper rubber on my upper playfield had a cut in it. This was caused by the metal edge of the guide rail that was to close the flipper. Each time i used the upper flipper it would dig into the rubber. I solved it by removing the Axl sculpt and removing the screw wich holds the rail in the playfield the i slightly bended the rail a tiny bit away from the flipper. Put the rail back with the screw in the playfield. Checked that i now had enough clearance from the flipper with flipper in the up position and changed the rubber. All is fine now. Flipper rubber no longer meets the metal edge of the rail.

20210227_112834 (resized).jpg20210227_112834 (resized).jpg
#6415 3 years ago

Little word of caution. I have my GNR LE for a week now and i noticed that the flipper rubber on my upper playfield had a cut in it. This was caused by the metal edge of the guide rail that was to close to the flipper. Each time i used the upper flipper it would dig into the rubber. I solved it by removing the Axl sculpt and removing the screw wich holds the rail on the playfield then i slightly bended the rail a tiny bit away from the flipper. Put the rail back with the screw in the playfield. Checked that i now had enough clearance from the flipper with flipper in the up position and changed out the rubber. All is fine now. Flipper rubber no longer meets the metal edge of the rail.
20210227_112834 (resized).jpg20210227_112834 (resized).jpg20210227_112903 (resized).jpg20210227_112903 (resized).jpg20210227_112928 (resized).jpg20210227_112928 (resized).jpg

#6416 3 years ago

Posted this in CE thread as well

Klipsch Topper Upgrade -
I updated the install process and since my original post, have moved all components to the backbox.
There was a huge reduction in hum and noise, and it really cleans up the look under the game
For anyone interested in this mod, all the detailed instructions and supplies can be found on my blog

https://thepinballloft.com/2021/02/27/killer-klipsch/

IMG_1175 (resized).jpgIMG_1175 (resized).jpg
#6417 3 years ago

Does your right flipper fade much faster than your left flipper? I’m wondering if there is an issue with it... just had a decently long game, three songs two all the way to applause jackpot and by the end of it making the left ramp was 50-50. The left flipper seems to keep its power no problem.

#6418 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Does your right flipper fade much faster than your left flipper? I’m wondering if there is an issue with it... just had a decently long game, three songs two all the way to applause jackpot and by the end of it making the left ramp was 50-50. The left flipper seems to keep its power no problem.

Right flips are higher than left ones in the audits for me, 176972 / 232927.
More use = more heat and more fade.

I cannot endorse the PinMonk Tibetan Breeze fans highly enough, they have made the game feel consistent for hours of play.

#6419 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Right flips are higher than left ones in the audits for me, 176972 / 232927.
More use = more heat and more fade.
I cannot endorse the Vireland Tibetan Breeze fans highly enough, they have made the game feel consistent for hours of play.

thanks definitely going to order those the minute they are available

#6420 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

In testing the right flipper gets hotter than the left as it's used more. It's especially an issue if you have one of the builds with the larger FL-11629 coils on the right flipper rather than the smaller, cooler FL-15411 (that still fades in GnR, but not as fast as it doesn't get as hot as fast). It seems like JJP has moved to FL-15411s on all three main flippers now, but there are still some out there with a single larger FL-11629 on the right (or strangely, just the upper right instead on at least one) that will get even hotter than the 15411s. You can tell what you have by looking at the numbers on the flipper coil wrappers. 15411s still fade, but they seem to top out about 40-50F less than the 11629s (unless you trap play a lot, in which case all bets are off). So still pretty bad, but not as bad.

In one of the non-cooled baseline temp tests Karl Deangelo (who traps a lot) had a temp of 219.8F on the right flipper. In the final long test, the Tibetan Breeze kit installed cut 100F off that temp and restored full power, but it was a struggle getting there. It required multiple tests with increasingly more powerful fans since the standard fan I use in the Spike and Spooky kits didn't have enough CFM to keep the coil below the fade zone. We stepped up from the standard fan to one with 20% more CFM to finally one with 50% more CFM to get to a point where the temps could be held below the fade zone with only maybe a quick spike into the bottom of it if there was a lot of trapping for a long time (we're talking like 20min straight). So the JJP kit will be different than all the other kits so far in that the fan is much more powerful because of the extreme temps the coils generate.

Here's a graph of the temps from those two tests on the right flipper. You can see that the uncooled right flipper was already at a crazy 195F after only about 30 minutes of play...
right-flipper-temp-compare (resized).jpgright-flipper-temp-compare (resized).jpg

And here's one where all the jjPotC flippers were compared uncooled vs cooled that's pretty illustrative...
jjPotC-temp-compare (resized).jpgjjPotC-temp-compare (resized).jpg

#6421 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

In testing the right flipper gets hotter than the left as it's used more. It's especially an issue if you have one of the builds with the larger FL-11629 coils on the right flipper rather than the smaller, cooler FL-15411 (that still fades in GnR, but not as fast as it doesn't get as hot). It seems like JJP has moved to FL-15411s on all three main flippers now, but there are still some out there with a single larger FL-11629 on the right (or strangely, just the upper right instead on at least one) that will get even hotter than the 15411s. You can tell what you have by looking at the numbers on the flipper coil wrappers. 15411s still fade, but they seem to top out about 40-50F less than the 11629s. So still pretty bad, but not as bad.
In one of the non-cooled baseline temp tests Karl Deangelo (who traps a lot) had a temp of 219.8F on the right flipper. In the final long test, the Tibetan Breeze kit installed cut 100F off that temp and restored full power, but it was a struggle getting there. It required multiple tests with increasingly more powerful fans since the standard fan I use in the Spike and Spooky kits didn't have enough CFM to keep the coil below the fade zone. We stepped up from the standard fan to one with 20% more CFM to finally one with 50% more CFM to get to a point where the temps could be held below the fade zone with only maybe a quick spike into the bottom of it if there was a lot of trapping for a long time (we're talking like 20min straight). So the JJP kit will be different than all the other kits so far in that the fan is much more powerful because of the extreme temps the coils generate.
Here's a graph of the temps from those two tests on the right flipper. You can see that the uncooled right flipper was already at a crazy 195F after only about 30 minutes of play...
[quoted image]

Can I pay you now for this kit?

#6422 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Can I pay you now for this kit?

Haha, it'd be too much to keep track of. I've had people trying to do that for literally weeks. It'll be in the two pinmonk stores (here on pinside and on pinmonk.com) late next week and then I'll ship off of that order list.

#6423 3 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Klipsch Topper Upgrade -
I updated the install process and since my original post, have moved all components to the backbox.
There was a huge reduction in hum and noise, and it really cleans up the look under the game
For anyone interested in this mod, all the detailed instructions and supplies can be found on my blog

That looks amazing. I think I'll add it to my game here once things are rolling again post the virus crap.

LTG : )

#6424 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

In testing the right flipper gets hotter than the left as it's used more. It's especially an issue if you have one of the builds with the larger FL-11629 coils on the right flipper rather than the smaller, cooler FL-15411 (that still fades in GnR, but not as fast as it doesn't get as hot). It seems like JJP has moved to FL-15411s on all three main flippers now, but there are still some out there with a single larger FL-11629 on the right (or strangely, just the upper right instead on at least one) that will get even hotter than the 15411s. You can tell what you have by looking at the numbers on the flipper coil wrappers. 15411s still fade, but they seem to top out about 40-50F less than the 11629s. So still pretty bad, but not as bad.
[quoted image]
And here's one where all the jjPotC flippers were compared uncooled vs cooled that's pretty illustrative...[quoted image]

I’m interested in your fans also but had a few questions. On the graph above it looks like the test was done with the older coil FL-11629 and I was wondering if you tried the test on the cooler coil FL-15411 and did it still need the upgraded fan(compared to the left fan) to keep the smaller coil cool? Great mod man reminds me of my R/C racing days and we were always fighting heat temps on our motors and ESC’s.

#6425 3 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

I’m interested in your fans also but had a few questions. On the graph above it looks like the test was done with the older coil FL-11629 and I was wondering if you tried the test on the cooler coil FL-15411 and did it still need the upgraded fan(compared to the left fan) to keep the smaller coil cool? Great mod man reminds me of my R/C racing days and we were always fighting heat temps on our motors and ESC’s.

The test was done with all the flippers on jjGnR, I just made that right flipper only FL-11629 graph to illustrate the extreme temps. jjPotC is all 15411s (well, they should be according to the manual, but who knows what JJP put in there. GnR has some...interesting...assembly deviations). With trapping that Karl does, the max temp on jjPotC was even crazier peaks. But that should give you an idea about 15411 temp performance for longer sessions in JJP games.

On jjGnR the lesser-used FL-15411 for lower left and upper right maxed out at 180.2F and 181F uncooled, well beyond the fade threshold. They were 115F and 110.2F cooled, respectively.

#6426 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Haha, it'd be too much to keep track of. I've had people trying to do that for literally weeks. It'll be in the two pinmonk stores (here on pinside and on pinmonk.com) late next week and then I'll ship off of that order list.

Can't wait to order these. Can't wait for my CE to show up as well I'll add it to the mountain of mods I have for the game

#6427 3 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Klipsch Topper Upgrade -
[quoted image]

What a Great write up wow! Amazing detail and share thanks. Love that your wife seems just as excited to contribute. Well done.

#6429 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That looks amazing. I think I'll add it to my game here once things are rolling again post the virus crap.

If you need any help Lloyd, just PM me ...

#6430 3 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

If you need any help Lloyd, just PM me ...

Thank you. I bookmarked your blog. If I get that far and run into any problems I'll let you know.

#6431 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

What a Great write up wow! Amazing detail and share thanks. Love that your wife seems just as excited to contribute. Well done.

Well thank you - very kind. Yes, if she gets a chance to play and dress for the occasion ... well she's all in!

Here's another unpublished image from that same photo shoot

IMG_1241(2) (resized).jpgIMG_1241(2) (resized).jpg
#6432 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

In testing the right flipper gets hotter than the left as it's used more. It's especially an issue if you have one of the builds with the larger FL-11629 coils on the right flipper rather than the smaller, cooler FL-15411 (that still fades in GnR, but not as fast as it doesn't get as hot as fast). It seems like JJP has moved to FL-15411s on all three main flippers now, but there are still some out there with a single larger FL-11629 on the right (or strangely, just the upper right instead on at least one) that will get even hotter than the 15411s. You can tell what you have by looking at the numbers on the flipper coil wrappers. 15411s still fade, but they seem to top out about 40-50F less than the 11629s (unless you trap play a lot, in which case all bets are off). So still pretty bad, but not as bad.
[quoted image]
And here's one where all the jjPotC flippers were compared uncooled vs cooled that's pretty illustrative...
[quoted image]

I can't wait to order these! It's enough when I have a long game but I've been playing with my son-in-law and when both of us have a great game ... well, the flipper fade is even more "noticeable"

#6433 3 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

I can't wait to order these! It's enough when I have a long game but I've been playing with my son-in-law and when both of us have a great game ... well, the flipper fade is even more "noticeable"

For most people (i.e. regular players that don't trap much or at all), just having the fans will keep the coils crisp as long as they play. But the nice thing about having actively-cooled flipper coils is even if you are a heavy trap player and trap up for 20 minutes, having a great ball and peak just over the very beginning of the fade zone, if you leave the next ball in the trough for about a minute, it will cool the coil you were abusing almost back to 100F very quickly. If you do that without fans it's pretty worthless because it takes much longer for the coil to cool down on its own.

#6434 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

For most people (i.e. regular players that don't trap much or at all), just having the fans will keep the coils crisp as long as they play. But the nice thing about having actively-cooled flipper coils is even if you are a heavy trap player and trap up for 20 minutes, having a great ball and peak just over the very beginning of the fade zone, if you leave the next ball in the trough for about a minute, it will cool the coil you were abusing almost back to 100F very quickly. If you do that without fans it's pretty worthless because it takes much longer for the coil to cool down on its own.

Gives YOU and the coils a chance to cool down for a minute. Have a break, have a coolcoil™. :-p

#6435 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballGalore:

Gives YOU and the coils a chance to cool down for a minute. Have a break, have a coolcoil™. :-p

Yeah, that's for sure. Long games and widebodies are my kryptonite these days. My hands start going numb after manhandling a machine for 30-45 minutes straight, I think because of the angle of my wrists and crappier middle-age circulation. I have to shake my hands out between balls to keep things moving.

#6436 3 years ago

Are the fans quiet? I am a buyer regardless as I am noticing this more and more as we play. I think in the beginning I was just flailing around trying to keep the balls in play. Now I trap up more. But if the game just sits it would be nice if the fans were on a thermostat.

#6437 3 years ago
Quoted from Dashmonster:

Are the fans quiet? I am a buyer regardless as I am noticing this more and more as we play. I think in the beginning I was just flailing around trying to keep the balls in play. Now I trap up more. But if the game just sits it would be nice if the fans were on a thermostat.

I had concerns about the fan noise too. I can tell you the gameplay benefit FAR outweighs the noise.

After installing the kit, it decreased in volume quite a bit once I put the glass back on and closed the door. I can hear it when the game is at idle, but do not notice it AT ALL during gameplay.

I like the thermostat idea too, but I have a feeling the fans would just stay on all the time anyway due to the heat this game generates.

I may do a strim today (NSPinball on Twitch)

#6438 3 years ago

I’ve never heard the fans. But I am also not bothered by power supply fans (I can hear those).

#6439 3 years ago

Has anyone got a failed magnet thermal fuse on a version before v1.14?
Trying to decide if there is a safe version to upgrade to.

#6440 3 years ago

I am still trying to figure this game out... I just put up 32 mill from My Michelle, beat Thirst for Carnage and, I thought, was doing really well with Mr. Brownstone when the flippers locked up and the game went into an Encore of Paradise City... is this by design, and did I miss something to collect my Mr. B points?

#6441 3 years ago
Quoted from Chetrico:

I am still trying to figure this game out... I just put up 32 mill from My Michelle, beat Thirst for Carnage and, I thought, was doing really well with Mr. Brownstone when the flippers locked up and the game went into an Encore of Paradise City... is this by design, and did I miss something to collect my Mr. B points?

Sounds like Mr. Brownstone ended before you collected the song jackpot. Once it says "applause jackpot ready" or something like that, you don't have much time to collect before the song times out. You get encore if you finish (not necessarily cash out) a song with the power meter on full.

#6442 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Sounds like Mr. Brownstone ended before you collected the song jackpot. Once it says "applause jackpot ready" or something like that, you don't have much time to collect before the song times out. You get encore if you finish (not necessarily cash out) a song with the power meter on full.

Dang. I think it would have been a good one too. Thanks for the info!

#6443 3 years ago
Quoted from Chetrico:

They need to do a better job communicating this situation during gameplay....a countdown to applause time-out or something.

#6444 3 years ago
Quoted from Chetrico:

You can also change how long the applause jackpot stays lit for. We moved it up to 30 seconds and have enjoyed the game more for it.

#6445 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

They need to do a better job communicating this situation during gameplay....a countdown to applause time-out or something.

I mean it’s pretty clear when the scoop turns a blinding blue

#6446 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Not if you are like me and only have attention for the 3" space around the flippers during multiballs.

Not everyone is a good pinball player mate.

#6447 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Not if you are like me and only have attention for the 3" space around the flippers during multiballs.
Not everyone is a good pinball player mate.

I suck you have to be pretty good to get to applause with more than one ball

#6448 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

One blue light while 300 others are going?

Ha ha

Man this game has a lot of stuff going on all at once and when your flipping 3 to 6 Balls around on top of all that....

This game is sensory overload.

That and I am getting old too.

#6449 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

One blue light while 300 others are going?
Ha ha
Man this game has a lot of stuff going on all at once and when your flipping 3 to 6 Balls around on top of all that....
This game is sensory overload.
That and I am getting old too.

Maybe on the SE it’s easier to see

#6450 3 years ago

At least now i know to lift my gaze and look for it. I might get past 2 million.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Staten Island, NY
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Easton, MA
8,249 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 210.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
There are 27,994 posts in this topic. You are on page 129 of 560.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/129 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.