IMG_20240413_155854 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155858 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240413_155856 (resized).jpg
IMG_1426 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_2636.gif
IMG_2002 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 28,339 posts in this topic. You are on page 126 of 567.
#6251 3 years ago

I’m having fun playing around with all the patches now. The other night I spent hours trying to get specific patches as practice. I like backhanding the left ramp so the ball returns to the GNR lane to help collect patches.

Going for and collecting the 4 equipment patches will earn an extra ball.

#6252 3 years ago

I'd turn the game off. Put a meter on the tilt plum bob and ring. Then hold them together. See if it registers on the meter. Could need cleaning of the ring or plum bob.

Then check continuity of each wire from the tilt to the I/O board. Could be a break along the way.

LTG : )

#6253 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I’m having fun playing around with all the patches now. The other night I spent hours trying to get specific patches as practice. I like backhanding the left ramp so the ball returns to the GNR lane to help collect patches.
Going for and collecting the 4 equipment patches will earn an extra ball.

Patches are harder to collect on the LE. Falling off the top playfield (through the hole below the flipper) spots an inlane lettere but it's not a safe return to the flipper. Other times, a ball is locked in the guitar head or shot to the bass VUK, neither of which spots a patch lane. It seems like patches would be rather simple on the SE; trap up and backhand the ramp.

#6254 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Patches are harder to collect on the LE. Falling off the top playfield (through the hole below the flipper) spots an inlane lettere but it's not a safe return to the flipper. Other times, a ball is locked in the guitar head or shot to the bass VUK, neither of which spots a patch lane. It seems like patches would be rather simple on the SE; trap up and backhand the ramp.

Yea, it would be cool if patches were rewards for mini tasks. Hit 10 ramps? Here’s a patch. Hit 3 inner loops in a row? Here is a patch. Get a 5-way combo? Here is a patch. Get 200 spinner spins? Here is a patch. Hit a super Jackpot in x multiball? Here is a patch. Anyway, I’m done ranting. Like I said love the game.

#6255 3 years ago

The best part about patches is that it won’t hinder non pinheads enjoyment of the game, while at the same time, take strategy and play to the next level for players.

5 patches that you earn automatically for doing anything in 30 seconds would defeat the purpose.

But that’s the best part, you don’t need them to complete any objectives or progress in the game. If they aren’t fun for you, you don’t have to use them.

How easy patches are to collect on the SE could be it’s biggest problem.

Quoted from DrJoe:

Patches are harder to collect on the LE.

#6256 3 years ago

Patches aren’t easy on the SE. Maybe easier, but def not easy. Seems like the rollover switch hits increase, so not as simple as 3 rollovers to collect GNR like the first patch.

My first patch to get, since the magnet isn’t working, is the patch to spot AXL the rest of the game.

#6257 3 years ago
Quoted from adrock:

eskaybee where is this setting? I couldn’t find it either.

I’ll check next time I’m at my game, but if memory serves, it should be in the coil settings.

#6258 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Patches aren’t easy on the SE. Maybe easier, but def not easy. Seems like the rollover switch hits increase, so not as simple as 3 rollovers to collect GNR like the first patch.
My first patch to get, since the magnet isn’t working, is the patch to spot AXL the rest of the game.

You need to use the lane change function as the ball enters the inlane to collect the patches. The switch requirements don't increase. Pay attention to lane change via the flippers and you'll see how it works.

Good thought on the collect Axl patch, which is very hard without a working magnet. JJP needs a fix for this ASAP.

#6259 3 years ago

I added a statue of Slash and a mini Marshall speaker on my SE

21BA50E4-38A6-425C-80FF-4717A13B23A0 (resized).jpeg21BA50E4-38A6-425C-80FF-4717A13B23A0 (resized).jpeg6405B77A-6988-4ABE-8AD4-F9965C7D0403 (resized).jpeg6405B77A-6988-4ABE-8AD4-F9965C7D0403 (resized).jpeg6475541C-2398-4B8A-9A81-EFC76735558C (resized).jpeg6475541C-2398-4B8A-9A81-EFC76735558C (resized).jpeg7E1EF791-9FF1-4A53-A4C7-C456C53F4FC8 (resized).jpeg7E1EF791-9FF1-4A53-A4C7-C456C53F4FC8 (resized).jpegF871F18F-F300-4332-99AD-78C994803391 (resized).jpegF871F18F-F300-4332-99AD-78C994803391 (resized).jpeg
#6260 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

You need to use the lane change function as the ball enters the inlane to collect the patches. The switch requirements don't increase. Pay attention to lane change via the flippers and you'll see how it works.
Good thought on the collect Axl patch, which is very hard without a working magnet. JJP needs a fix for this ASAP.

I do use the lane changes but it did seem to me more switches were needed for subsequent patches. It does get confusing for me at time knowing what lane is active with so many lights and inserts. Def need to pay more attention.

#6261 3 years ago

Where is the plunge supposed to settle on the playfield? I checked all angles but mine still goes SDTM a fair amount. I can try adjusting the gate as others have mentioned but want to understand where it is supposed to go first.

#6262 3 years ago
Quoted from adrock:

Where is the plunge supposed to settle on the playfield? I checked all angles but mine still goes SDTM a fair amount. I can try adjusting the gate as others have mentioned but want to understand where it is supposed to go first.

Should land on the right flipper. Play with the nut that’s on the right rail, it has a lot of movement. New coded added a feature to give your ball back if it goes sdtm, so that it is good.

#6263 3 years ago
Quoted from adrock:

eskaybee where is this setting? I couldn’t find it either.

Just confirmed. Settings > coil settings > general > maximum shaker strength.

Setting it on low though really takes away the ‘you could be mine’ vibe.

#6264 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Just confirmed. Settings > coil settings > general > maximum shaker strength.
Setting it on low though really takes away the ‘you could be mine’ vibe.

Thanks for the info

#6265 3 years ago
Quoted from adrock:

And add the 2 washers as others have noted under the gate mount. Really helps the roll.

#6266 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

A lot cheaper at , pinball spare parts Australia . [quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks mate, Shane at Austral Amusements is sending me some.

And i can get a spare set and cover postage for the price it would have been for one set at Mr Pinball. No wonder he drives a Ferrari

Capture61 (resized).JPGCapture61 (resized).JPG

Capture62 (resized).JPGCapture62 (resized).JPG

#6267 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I do use the lane changes but it did seem to me more switches were needed for subsequent patches. It does get confusing for me at time knowing what lane is active with so many lights and inserts. Def need to pay more attention.

So I paid more attention and I realized that the inlane switch sometimes was not registering a hit. Actually when I went into the switch test it was probably not registering half the time a ball was coming down fast from the ramp return.

The switch arm was bent slightly to the left so I straightened it and adjusted it so it sat higher and now it registers all the time. First game with the switch fixed I collected seven patches.

#6268 3 years ago
Quoted from Chauchat:

I added a statue of Slash and a mini Marshall speaker on my SE
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Puts my Slash to shame, where did you get the speakers from? Thanks.

#6269 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

A lot cheaper at , pinball spare parts Australia . [quoted image][quoted image]

Look at the difference in the contacts, though. that's where your "savings" went.

#6270 3 years ago

Does anyone recognize this screw? I found it in the bottom of the cabinet (roughly under the record area.)

No idea where it came from.

IMG_2827 (resized).jpegIMG_2827 (resized).jpeg
#6271 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Ça fait honte à mon Slash, d'où viennent les haut-parleurs? Merci.

I found them on eBay

#6272 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Does anyone recognize this screw? I found it in the bottom of the cabinet (roughly under the record area.)
No idea where it came from.
[quoted image]

Forget the screw, that's some life line you have there.

#6273 3 years ago

D’oh!
249E81A5-A57E-4830-8DCF-14701738F564 (resized).jpeg249E81A5-A57E-4830-8DCF-14701738F564 (resized).jpeg
After ball search failed it gave me another ball and I was able to shoot it up to the guitar lock which freed the other two balls. Only problem was the game lost count of the number of balls in play and prematurely ended. Oh well, better than having to take the glass off.

#6274 3 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

D’oh!
[quoted image]
After ball search failed it gave me another ball and I was able to shoot it up to the guitar lock which freed the other two balls. Only problem was the game lost count of the number of balls in play and prematurely ended. Oh well, better than having to take the glass off.

This doesn't seem that uncommon. Adding some length to the bottom two points of that passive diverter and maybe reducing their angle a little bit should "close" the path to the ball behind, even if the balls are close together. That can be done now.

#6275 3 years ago

If you follow the Houdini thread you can also see how much work Josh has put into the coding, release after release to improve ball tracking too.
Improve the mech and address the ball tracking too would be the rock and roll solution.

#6276 3 years ago

Love these shooter rods, i'll have to buy another batch as i only have one left now and got a Theatre of Magic last night that needs it.

So much better in the hand than a plastic knob.

gnr6 (resized).jpggnr6 (resized).jpg

#6277 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Love these shooter rods, i'll have to buy another batch as i only have one left now and got a Theatre of Magic last night that needs it.
[quoted image]

That is cool have you got everthing working ok now?

#6278 3 years ago
Quoted from cybevenom:

Kinda stumped. Cannot seem to get the tilt function to work. Some say thats a good thing but i like to play the game it was meant to. When i even put the tilt bob against the ring it should tilt i would think. Followed the wires and as far as i can see they run straight to the backboard connector. reseated that and checked the pins. The pins are seated correctly as i can see. All checks out. Anyone else had this problem and perhaps a fix? Game came out of the box this friday like this.

Does the switch matrix in diagnostics show anything?

#6279 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

[quoted image]

I have one of these waiting for my machine to arrive....whenever that may be

#6280 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

That is cool have you got everthing working ok now?

Flipper is not fucking up the last day or so, i have switches and new buttons coming though.

The lock bar button on mine is really dodgy and rickety and was like that when i got it. Should have ordered three lighted buttons, but may look for something cool. It works ok, but feels like it's going to break.

So usual teething stuff.

I have to wait for the new amp from pinwoofer and can't get the new sub working, but we'll work all that out.

#6281 3 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I have one of these waiting for my machine to arrive....whenever that may be

I got em in stacks of machines, love em. Sold the stupid, grubby Jackie rod from my AerosmithLE for stupid money (think colour dmd) and put one of those in. It's clean, feels better in the hand than a dirty plastic head and won't bruise my hip when i walk past it.

WinnerWinnerPunkin

#6282 3 years ago

Finally joined the 100 million club! Big jackpots in Welcome to the Jungle and November Rain(can’t believe I made it deep in to that song finally). This is by far the best pinball machine of 2020, probably best of the last 5 years in fact.

CC957440-DF62-4DBF-BA82-9B5BF1B9D0D6 (resized).jpegCC957440-DF62-4DBF-BA82-9B5BF1B9D0D6 (resized).jpeg
#6283 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Thanks mate, Shane at Austral Amusements is sending me some.
And i can get a spare set and cover postage for the price it would have been for one set at Mr Pinball. No wonder he drives a Ferrari
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

You asked for info I supplied a link with part numbers etc, nobody else did, I don't care where you buy it from.

Don't expect assistance in the future

#6284 3 years ago
IMG_20210222_215748 (resized).jpgIMG_20210222_215748 (resized).jpg
#6285 3 years ago

CE #299 in the house!

Having a lot of fun. A few observations:

- The bass is pretty nonexistent out of the box. A sub add on is necessary if you want a good music experience.

- The stock monitor settings are awful. Way too washed out. Changed mine to Brightness of 0 and Contrast of 100 and ironically it’s pretty bright and no longer washed out but also not oversaturated

- I really wish we had a printed manual. After I already set the pin up, I found the manual online, which had way better setup instructions, color images, and if you have the topper, way clearer information.

- I feel like the shaker needed to be turned to low so it didn’t shake the house down. Feel like it’s perfect at Low.

- I had to make several adjustments to areas the ball would hang, or to avoid drains SDTM off the plunge. I guess this is part of the ‘NIB experience’.

- The packaging and delivery of the pin were spot on. Great job by JJP.

Thanks to everyone in the Pinside community, and to the JJP team that watches this thread, so that I could address these issues efficiently!

#6286 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

tracking 50 patches that all do extremely specific things sounds more like work than fun. It just lacks elegance. I kind of wish there were just 5 patches that you had to build strategy around. Just my personal preference. To me it’s feature diarrhea.

This, 100% I do like the patch feature, theres just too many of them.

#6287 3 years ago

This isn't a criticism, but what do we expect? Keith codes very complex games.

- LOTR
- TSPP
- WPT
- WOZ
- Hobbit
- JJP POTC
- JJP GNR

Have any of these gotten LESS complex over the timeline?

You can't please everyone with code, but if you give some side goals, it satisfies more than it alienates.

#6288 3 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

This, 100% I do like the patch feature, theres just too many of them.

As others have said, ignore them if you wish.

There aren't THAT many patch sets, and the button is color coded to most of them.

For example:
Yellow = 2 patch set (poster+t-shirt) to reduce meter decay in songs.
Orange = 4 patch set (lights+firecracker+amp+hornhand) to get infinite booster multiballs.
Pink = 2 patch set (bra+underwear) to get double bonus.

Some people complained that the 22 chars on POTC were too overwhelming/confusing. I loved it, as it gave the game lots of depth and replayability.

I see the patches as similar to the characters, but more of an opt-in if you care to explore the depth and ignorable if you don't.

#6289 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

As others have said, ignore them if you wish.
There aren't THAT many patch sets, and the button is color coded to most of them.
For example:
Yellow = 2 patch set (poster+t-shirt) to reduce meter decay in songs.
Orange = 4 patch set (lights+firecracker+amp+hornhand) to get infinite booster multiballs.
Pink = 2 patch set (bra+underwear) to get double bonus.
Some people complained that the 22 chars on POTC were too overwhelming/confusing. I loved it, as it gave the game lots of depth and replayability.
I see the patches are similar to the characters, but more of an opt-in if you care to explore the depth and ignorable if you don't.

And the 4 sponsor patches to light extra ball are blue.

#6290 3 years ago

And all this time I was hoping they’d add more patches. i.e. ways to get through an album mode faster (more damage, increase ball saver, etc...).

#6291 3 years ago

For all those people who don’t want to deal with patches.... Fender.

It’s a very solid patch, just know that and you won’t be missing out on too many points.

#6292 3 years ago

For those of you on both GnR threads, my apologies, I could not for the life of me figure out how to link to that post so I have copied and pasted.

We have had so many oders for our sub kit that I thought I should mention for those considering the Pinnovators sub kit for GnR we discovered when our CE arrived (#202) that JJP isn't using the same speaker in all the machines so we have two options now for a sub kit our PINsub MS Blue and our PINsub MSPO.

They are basically the same kit, it's just the difference in the wire gauge and the way you attach it. The MSPO is a bit quicker to install but both are super quick anyway. When deciding between the two if you have free speaker terminals use the MSPO, if not, use the MS Blue.

Here is the link to the MS Blue https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/collections/all-other-systems-subwoofer-kits/products/pinsub-subwoofer-kit-multi-system-blue

Here is the link for the MSPO https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/collections/all-other-systems-subwoofer-kits/products/pinsub-multi-system-push-on-kit.

Navystan posted a geat video of the kit in action on post #2192 of the CE thread.

Also, if anyone is looking for a dedicated place to hang your headphones we just came out with a great line of magnetic headphone holders called the PINpeg. I have the PINpeg Skull on my GnR and it looks great . We have two different skulls which go great with GnR IMHO, a glass one for $25 and a metal one for $30. I've attached a picture but it is kind of hard to see as it's glass. Here is the link to the line of PINpegs https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/collections/pinnovators-pinpeg

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

~Sandra

340.013.001 side Skull Glass 2048x2048 (resized).JPG340.013.001 side Skull Glass 2048x2048 (resized).JPG340.013.001 side hp Skull Glass 2048x2048 (resized).JPG340.013.001 side hp Skull Glass 2048x2048 (resized).JPG340.013.001 Skull Glass 3 2048x2048 (resized).JPG340.013.001 Skull Glass 3 2048x2048 (resized).JPG
#6293 3 years ago
Quoted from adrock:

CE #299 in the house!
Having a lot of fun. A few observations:
- The bass is pretty nonexistent out of the box. A sub add on is necessary if you want a good music experience.
- The stock monitor settings are awful. Way too washed out. Changed mine to Brightness of 0 and Contrast of 100 and ironically it’s pretty bright and no longer washed out but also not oversaturated
- I really wish we had a printed manual. After I already set the pin up, I found the manual online, which had way better setup instructions, color images, and if you have the topper, way clearer information.
- I feel like the shaker needed to be turned to low so it didn’t shake the house down. Feel like it’s perfect at Low.
- I had to make several adjustments to areas the ball would hang, or to avoid drains SDTM off the plunge. I guess this is part of the ‘NIB experience’.
- The packaging and delivery of the pin were spot on. Great job by JJP.
Thanks to everyone in the Pinside community, and to the JJP team that watches this thread, so that I could address these issues efficiently!

Get a pinwoofer kit, must have for this game imo

#6294 3 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

You asked for info I supplied a link with part numbers etc, nobody else did, I don't care where you buy it from.
Don't expect assistance in the future

Sure Wayne. I'll skip that Hot wheels i was looking at too.

#6295 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Quoted from Eskaybee:
Looking for some tech help:
Magnet just stopped working. Anyone know where to start looking? I checked underneath and connections seem good. Maybe a fuse?
EDIT: doesn’t seem to be the fuse as that fuse is tied into the upper right flipper and ramp diverter, both of which are working.

Yes. There is a resistor taped (literally) to the magnet coil that fails. You can bypass it (remove the resistor from the coil) and/or contact JJP for a replacement.

So has anyone bypassed the magnet resistor/fuse permanently without any adverse effects?

#6296 3 years ago

Just want to verify that the SE doesnt come with a shaker? Anything else i should order before game shows up thats needed like rubbers that wear quickly like some of JJPs other games?

#6297 3 years ago

Yes, rubbers. The ones on the slings lasted a couple of days. They are smaller than the ones i got as replacements.

#6298 3 years ago
Quoted from bridgeman:

So has anyone bypassed the magnet resistor/fuse permanently without any adverse effects?

I would not do that. You want some fuse inline somewhere (and it seems like an inline glass fuse in a fuse holder with an LED on the power lead wire to the coil would be the best). Anyone that's seen discolored addams family playfields from the magnets locking on without fuses knows why.

Alternately, having a thermal switch on the coil that just cuts power and lets it cool off when it gets too hot, then re-engages once it falls below a certain temp would be attractive, too.

#6299 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Quoted from bridgeman:

I would not do that. You want some fuse inline somewhere (and it seems like an inline glass fuse in a fuse holder with an LED on the power lead wire to the coil would be the best). Anyone that's seen discolored addams family playfields from the magnets locking on without fuses knows why.

Thank you, I appreciate the advice.

#6300 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Alternately, having a thermal switch on the coil that just cuts power and lets it cool off when it gets too hot, then re-engages once it falls below a certain temp would be attractive, too.

Or maybe JJP can figure out what’s wrong with the code. This same magnet was used in Wonka with no issue. Now it’s failing quickly, and impacting gameplay (top lanes are too hard to collect). My guess is the endless multiballs keep it energized too long but that’s only a guess. I’ve had 2 fail quickly and don’t see the point of putting in another until they figure this out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 210.00
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

11,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dracut, MA
8,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Old Saybrook, CT
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silverthorne, CO
$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 28,339 posts in this topic. You are on page 126 of 567.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/126?hl=apinballwiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.