IMG_2676.gif
IMG_0960 (resized).jpeg
image1 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
GnRAllenWrenchMod (resized).jpg
200w.gif
IMG_2222 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 28,400 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 568.
#5451 3 years ago

I played with headphones for the first time. It was muc easer to hear the different call out, instruments, and different sounds. Does using external speakers have a similar superior sound to the headphones? In other words, are external speakers worth it?

#5452 3 years ago

Hey y'all. I'm enjoying my LE but MAN it can be frustrating! that's part of the fun though. My biggest issue is the skill shot. At times when I feel I hit the spot perfectly I'll get a "Lame" or maybe a "Good" but then often when I feel it's a bit off I get the "Super". Anyone else feeling this? Anything I'm missing or can correct? Otherwise I've started to learn the game and rules more and more but man, that skill shot.....also hate how it can drop right down the middle so often but glad they will give you multiple ball saves because of this.

#5453 3 years ago
Quoted from Austiniv:

Hey y'all. I'm enjoying my LE but MAN it can be frustrating! that's part of the fun though. My biggest issue is the skill shot. At times when I feel I hit the spot perfectly I'll get a "Lame" or maybe a "Good" but then often when I feel it's a bit off I get the "Super". Anyone else feeling this? Anything I'm missing or can correct? Otherwise I've started to learn the game and rules more and more but man, that skill shot.....also hate how it can drop right down the middle so often but glad they will give you multiple ball saves because of this.

That’s funny. Each skill shot switch has a name like “lame”. That just means you hit that particular switch.

#5454 3 years ago

I added a PinWoofer to my LE a few days ago. What a difference it makes! I had debated between adding this or just an external sub and am very happy with choice. It definitely adds to the concert experience. I have to give a shout out to Dan at PinWoofer for customer service. I ran into a couple of issues and he had offered to walk me through it over the phone. I ended up figuring it out on my own but he still called me a couple of days later to see how it was going and to make sure I was up and running. Now back to playing...

#5455 3 years ago
Quoted from Nemotheeskie:

I added a PinWoofer to my LE a few days ago. What a difference it makes! I had debated between adding this or just an external sub and am very happy with choice. It definitely adds to the concert experience. I have to give a shout out to Dan at PinWoofer for customer service. I ran into a couple of issues and he had offered to walk me through it over the phone. I ended up figuring it out on my own but he still called me a couple of days later to see how it was going and to make sure I was up and running. Now back to playing...

Got the full system sitting here waiting for my LE in a couple of weeks. Dan was great, upgraded me to expedited shipping and has been checking in to see if i have done the install once a month or so.

Seems to me that he is genuinely interested in his customers and that he really wants them to have good service and great product.

Puts me to shame in my own business (i have great product but could do with service improvement).

#5456 3 years ago
Quoted from Austiniv:

Have you tried "turning down the suck?"

#5457 3 years ago

I have a subwoofer waiting for GNR. I buy them dirt cheap from the Goodwill store when I spot them. $8 for the KLH I bought last week.

Yard sale and flea market season was when I used to stock up on subwoofers, but now it's Goodwill for me. Usually find a high end, powered sub, once a month.

#5458 3 years ago
Quoted from Austiniv:

The entrance gate at the skill shot is easily adjustable. Mainly, the 2 nuts to the right and left of it. The right one is on a guide which allows good adjustment.

As for the switches, test it in the switch matrix and make sure each one is registering properly. Otherwise, flip on.

#5459 3 years ago
Quoted from pingrrrl:

I played with headphones for the first time. It was muc easer to hear the different call out, instruments, and different sounds. Does using external speakers have a similar superior sound to the headphones? In other words, are external speakers worth it?

Subwoofer is a must IMO. Really adds depth of the bass, drums, and mid range.

#5460 3 years ago
Quoted from pduffy:

Does JJP have a direct connect for subs? If not, anyone know of a rca to alligator clip for sale anywhere?

Read my post and follow the link to the Pinnovators taps

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-game-6-collector-s-edition-/page/34#post-6085750

#5461 3 years ago
Quoted from pingrrrl:

I think you'll notice more detail with headphones.
I also like the stereo mix, which is why headphones are ideal. For example, if you drain on the left outline, in my opinion, you'll notice and appreciate it more in the mix using headphones. I also love the ability to play late at night.

On a related note, I also love hearing Axl's "miiiiiiinnnnnneeeeeee...........yeeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh!"

#5462 3 years ago
Quoted from Nemotheeskie:

I bought one as well. Dan has reached out to me several times to see if I needed any help. I told him I'm still waiting for my CE to arrive. He said for me to call him when it does and he'll walk me through it. Excellent customer service. Can't wait to put this into my machine with the sound bar. A truly concert experience!

#5463 3 years ago

Have had a Pinwoofer in my machine since I set it up and it's great.

Dan even called again recently to make sure all was good.
Awesome customer service and a good product!
Put one in my JP Premium as well...

Quoted from TaTa:

I bought one as well. Dan has reached out to me several times to see if I needed any help. I told him I'm still waiting for my CE to arrive. He said for me to call him when it does and he'll walk me through it. Excellent customer service. Can't wait to put this into my machine with the sound bar. A truly concert experience!

#5464 3 years ago
Quoted from Ponzie:

Have had a Pinwoofer in my machine since I set it up and it's great.
Dan even called again recently to make sure all was good.
Awesome customer service and a good product!
Put one in my JP Premium as well...

Full kit with speakers? Woofer only? Just the amp? What did you go with for gnr?

#5465 3 years ago

The upfiring mid-range speakers and separate tweeters in the head of the machine are actually really good and so Pinwoofer (Dan) didn't recommend replacing those.

The cabinet sub was also actually a good quality but I replaced it with likely a slightly sturdier woofer speaker that came with the Pinwoofer amp.
It is likely tuned and tested to work with the amp but I suppose if you wanted to spend a few less $$ you could just get the amp alone.

If you buy it and do an install, be sure to follow all of the wiring instructions provided. I didn't properly affix the ground wire to a plate on the back of the head and Dan had to talk me down from a mild heart attack when the machine wouldn't output any sound.

Was 100% my fault but (as you can see from the other posts here), Dan was very helpful and actually CALLED me after I sent an email to walk me through it.

Is Pinwoofer absolutely necessary for GnR? No. But does it make the experience better by allowing you to tune the game audio to your liking? Yup.
Could you get away with just an external sub? Maybe/Likely. But I wanted something more "fully contained" in the machine...

I liked Pinwoofer enough that I bought a FULL set (including the 5.25" replacement set of speakers) for my JP Premium.
Really noticeable difference on that machine.

Hope that helps but if you're in doubt or have questions, just get in touch with Dan. He knows is stuff and is super helpful.
(Also cool to help a company that really wants to do well by pinball collectors/enthusiasts)

Quoted from PinballGalore:

Full kit with speakers? Woofer only? Just the amp? What did you go with for gnr?

#5466 3 years ago
Quoted from Ponzie:

The upfiring mid-range speakers and separate tweeters in the head of the machine are actually really good and so Pinwoofer (Dan) didn't recommend needing to replace those.
The cabinet sub was also actually a good quality but I replaced it with likely a slightly sturdier woofer speaker that came with the Pinwoofer amp.
It is likely tuned and tested to work with the amp but I suppose if you wanted to spend a few less $$ you could just get the amp alone.
If you buy it and do an install, be sure to follow all of the wiring instructions provided. I didn't properly affix the ground wire to a plate on the back of the head and Dan had to talk me down from a mild heart attack when the machine wouldn't output any sound.
Was 100% my fault but (as you can see from the other posts here), Dan was very helpful and actually CALLED me after I sent an email to walk me through it.
Is Pinwoofer absolutely necessary for GnR? No. But does it make the experience better by allowing you to tune the game audio to your liking? Yup.
Could you get away with just an external sub? Maybe/Likely. But I wanted something more "fully contained" in the machine...
I liked Pinwoofer enough that I bought a FULL set (including the 5.25" replacement set of speakers) for my JP Premium.
Hope that helps but if you're in doubt or have questions, just get in touch with Dan. He knows is stuff and is super helpful.
(Also cool to help a company that really wants to do well by pinball collectors/enthusiasts)

I was told that it makes the callouts more crisp sounding as well

#5467 3 years ago
Quoted from Ponzie:

The upfiring mid-range speakers and separate tweeters in the head of the machine are actually really good and so Pinwoofer (Dan) didn't recommend replacing those.

thanks, just the kind of detailed reply I was hoping for!

#5468 3 years ago

Spending 10k on an LE and not spending the $300 on pinwoofer is a big mistake

#5469 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Spending 10k on an LE and not spending the $300 on pinwoofer is a big mistake

I just watched the video. Does it make a big difference?

#5470 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

If you want to wait until my CE comes in, I'll let you know. I was planning on taking videos and pictures of the game out of the box stock. Then add the cosmetic mods and pinwoofer and take more videos and pictures as to show comparison especially with how it sounds and Lermods translite mod looks.

#5471 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I honestly think it makes an enormous difference

#5472 3 years ago

Not sure if this was posted yet, two generations

DBFA1932-1DA2-465A-BC21-8A8D169FF8D7 (resized).jpegDBFA1932-1DA2-465A-BC21-8A8D169FF8D7 (resized).jpeg
#5473 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballGalore:

thanks, just the kind of detailed reply I was hoping for!

If anyone would like an international shipping quote please PM me - I can offer a lower price than the shipping quotes provided on the website.

Also, below is a link to the recommended system for GNR:

https://pinwoofer.com/pinwoofer-gt-8in-jjp-super-kit/

Thanks!

#5474 3 years ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

If anyone would like an international shipping quote please PM me - I can offer a lower price than the shipping quotes provided on the website.
Also, below is a link to the recommended system for GNR:
https://pinwoofer.com/pinwoofer-gt-8in-jjp-super-kit/
Thanks!

Is this the same system you recommend for the CE? Does if work with (change/improve,...) the CE topper sound bar?

#5475 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Is this the same system you recommend for the CE? Does if work with (change/improve,...) the CE topper sound bar?

Don't think the soundbar would be impacted at all. I believe the sound bar has its own internal amplifier. The Pin Woofer setup replaces the JJP amp for the backbox and cabinet speakers.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5476 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Yes, same recommended system which is 100% compatible with the sound bar.

Feedback is that the PinWoofer system improves the backbox to where its quality surpasses that of the sound bar. But, keeping the sound bar in play does not negatively impact the quality of the sound field. The sound bar is stereo and arguably, the added surface area of the drivers should serve to help the mid-ranges. The PinWoofer amp has a treble control which is used to attenuate the strong forward facing tweeters as needed.

Quoted from kermit24:

Don't think the soundbar would be impacted at all. I believe the sound bar has its own internal amplifier. The Pin Woofer setup replaces the JJP amp for the backbox and cabinet speakers.

Agree - 100%.

#5477 3 years ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

The PinWoofer amp has a treble control which is used to attenuate the strong forward facing tweeters as needed.

Is it just me? (and yes, it might be) -- I find that OOTB Axl's vocals are simply too dominant. Certain pitches he frequently sings in seem way too loud, comparatively speaking. I wasn't under the impression that they were high-enough to be picked up by the tweeters but perhaps yes?

Suffice it to say that's what pushed me down the soundbar path in the first place. Now that I've gone there I will add that the addition of more bass is also a plus but, yeah, maybe my ears are just overly sensitive to the octave Axl sings in? IDK.

OTOH, if JJP would add even a rudimentary parametric equalizer to the settings menu (or find a way to expose anything that the audio circuitry has built-in like DSP pre-sets) I'd bet that would suffice too.

#5478 3 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

OTOH, if JJP would add even a rudimentary parametric equalizer to the settings menu (or find a way to expose anything that the audio circuitry has built-in like DSP pre-sets) I'd bet that would suffice too.

If it's really a big deal, just get a 10 band guitar pedal eq and equalize the mini-headphone jack output before it goes to the speakers. You could probably find one that will get the job done for less than $50.

#5479 3 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

Is it just me? (and yes, it might be) -- I find that OOTB Axl's vocals are simply too dominant. Certain pitches he frequently sings in seem way too loud, comparatively speaking. I wasn't under the impression that they were high-enough to be picked up by the tweeters but perhaps yes?
Suffice it to say that's what pushed me down the soundbar path in the first place. Now that I've gone there I will add that the addition of more bass is also a plus but, yeah, maybe my ears are just overly sensitive to the octave Axl sings in? IDK.

I would estimate that only 10-20% of the vocals content are reproduced in the tweeters in terms of intensity (not power). That might be fun to measure sometime...

Even if EQ features are added to the menu in the future you will still be limited by the stock power amplifier. Not that you want to listen loud, but more power is always better at any level because it increases dynamic range and promotes better separation of the bass/mids/highs. There is no substitute for added power.

It is nice to have separate backbox and cabinet level controls. Simple, but powerful.

-Dan

#5480 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I honestly think it makes an enormous difference

Why not just get a freestanding Polk sub (found easily on CL for $50)? What am I missing.

#5481 3 years ago
Quoted from adrock:

Why not just get a freestanding Polk sub (found easily on CL for $50)? What am I missing.

Pretty much the whole conversation.

#5482 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Pretty much the whole conversation.

Forgive me for asking a serious question! For clarification, I have the CE on order, so I'm primarily concerned about the bass... since hopefully I'll have sufficient mids/highs from the soundbar.

Ps. I have read all 5,481 posts on this thread

#5483 3 years ago

You've probs read the post by Dan then where he explained about the sound fields and how he tuned the system to complement them etc. There's a post a couple up where he also talks about your soundbar (lucky bastard), but if you just search pinwoofer you'll get the jist.

Blunt is my nature, it's not you.

#5484 3 years ago

Yeah...I'm just connecting an external sub and rockin' out while playing pinball.

#5485 3 years ago

Hey when you guys play with headphones, how loud is the pin with no sound?

#5486 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Depends on how loud you scream when you drain before hitting a jackpot or encore.

It's not too bad.

#5487 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yeah...I'm just connecting an external sub and rockin' out while playing pinball.

I got ya baby;

sub4 (resized).jpgsub4 (resized).jpg

That one runs Deadpool and Hobbit really well (although Hobbit doesn't need it in my opinion).

Gunners deserves a little better in my opinion. Plus the fact that i have twenty machines down the back that are turned on for occasions and rotate them with the 4 up the front that are on and played every day. Self contained is good in that respect.

#5488 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

If it's like Hobbit, it's still fucking loud with the mechanical noise. I always wonder when i hear people say they are wearing phones cause people are sleeping or studying.

#5489 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

If it's like Hobbit, it's still fucking loud with the mechanical noise. I always wonder when i hear people say they are wearing phones cause people are sleeping or studying.

Hobbit is a uniquely noisy machine. Everyone that hears it for the first time asks if it is broken.

#5490 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

You've probs read the post by Dan then where he explained about the sound fields and how he tuned the system to complement them etc. There's a post a couple up where he also talks about your soundbar (lucky bastard), but if you just search pinwoofer you'll get the jist.
Blunt is my nature, it's not you.

Thanks, I’ll circle back. I definitely appreciate what Dan and other modders do for this community

#5491 3 years ago

Does anyone else's plunge hit the corner of the right sling? Mine does it frequently leading to the ball bouncing right into the right outlane without a solid nudge at save it. Looking at gameplay video it looks like the plunge should deliver the ball right past the right sling onto the flipper. My game is level and at a 7 degree pitch. I've tried adjusting everything I can think of including the ball gate and trying to adjust the ball guide it rolls down with no luck. I'm not sure what I'm missing.

#5492 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Hobbit is a uniquely noisy machine. Everyone that hears it for the first time asks if it is broken.

I'm not talking bout the drops.

Flippers is flippers like pop's are pop's and lips is lips.

#5493 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Yes. I thought my Hobbit was broken when I first got it. I think it's that target reset or something that gives a horrible crunching noise. It just sounds wrong!

#5494 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Pretty much second only to Hyperball. That individually controlled target action is LOUD.

#5495 3 years ago
Quoted from Jdlana:

Got my LE this week. This is my second JJP. I love my Wonka and wanted something new. One thing I love about GNR is that you can play in a dark room. Not the case with the Wonka where I need all the room lights bright. Really cool. Still trying to understand the rules and shots but it is a beautiful machine.

Pinstadiums really brightened up my Simpsons TSPP. I can play that in the dark. I have never played Wonka but that might work.

Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Prepare for a long wait! They haven’t even delivered all of the orders from October 2020 yet much less the full backlog. Did your distributor give you an estimate? I’d guess September or even later if you just jumped on a preorder.

No estimate yet. I spent the last 3 days reading every single post. It’s very clear that I will be waiting for a while. I will let you know if I hear anything and until then, I will live vicariously through you guys.

#5496 3 years ago

Will 3 GnR Pins be too greedy?

GnR (resized).pngGnR (resized).png
#5497 3 years ago

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the drawback in connecting the headphone jack to an input from a 2.1 system instead of using a line-out (which implies purchasing an accessory) ?

#5498 3 years ago

Hello Australia.

giphy (4).gifgiphy (4).gif

#5499 3 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Will 3 GnR Pins be too greedy?
[quoted image]

Lol .... not at all! Perhaps 4 now can be greedy

#5500 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Yeah it’s a strange concept. Now I have some loud music pins, so headphones helps. But most pins, esp with pop bumpers are loud regardless. Woul be cool if they had a dead silent mode without affecting game play.

I knew there would be noise though, just curious compared to other pins. Sound like about the same.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tulsa, OK
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 210.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 11,000.00
Machine - For Sale
Purcellville, VA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

There are 28,400 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 568.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/110?hl=pinwoofer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.