IMG_2002 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg
1C8AE00A-E658-441F-8C85-35F46CC105C1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3148 (resized).jpeg
20240407_215717 (resized).jpg
20240407_215654 (resized).jpg
20240407_215630 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

78 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 28,303 posts in this topic. You are on page 109 of 567.
#5401 3 years ago
Quoted from Occelot:

Hey guys, is the Standard worth the money?

I think so. Just as much as any Stern Pro.

#5402 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

one of the best songs

Ok, sir, I'm going to need you to put DOWN the crack pipe, and step away from the machine now please.

#5403 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Ok, thanks. I was hoping it would stay available for future games. Too bad one of the best songs is not readily available.

It’s easy to unlock and I like how it’s incorporated in the rules that way. Makes it special, unique, and fun to go for when you want it. Unlocking it forever would be

#5404 3 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

The BT connectivity on this game is still jacked. You'll get to make an initial connection, but you won't be able to discover or reconnect that same BT device once you power down the game.

FWIW, this hasn't been my experience for about 90% of the re-connections via bluetooth.

I did, on one night, have a tough time re-pairing a previously paired soundbar. It just wasn't coming up in the list of 'available devices' onscreen, so I power-cycled the game and tried it again, but same thing. (Using my smartphone to confirm, I knew the soundbar was available but the pin wasn't seeing it.) I power-cycled it yet again and yep, there it was.

I could also swear that sometimes the list appears to be cached versus real-time but yeah, having spent a couple of weeks trying out roughly six different products, a process that involved me connecting a new one, then disconnecting, switching it out for another one, re-connecting, going back to the first one, etc. etc. etc. I'm here to tell ya that my experience hasn't been the same as yours. (All while the pinball was up and running - none of this swapping in/out required me to bounce the system save for that one time I described above.) Note that one soudbar was clearly incompatible. No clue why but it was tough to pair and once I did get it to pair the audio was absolutely corrupted and cut out completely at least 80% of the time. The rest were fine.

I agree it would be great to get this sorted. What would really be better than just making sure the list of available devices is consistent would be to introduce an option to set one as preferred so that when we re-power up the game the device will reconnect automatically.

Will it be an issue for me long-term? Probably not because I figure that now that I'm pretty much done and have made my selection I will change the connection to wired and it won't matter anymore. I left it as wireless so I could always go back to the internal speakers for comparison with what I thought would ultimately succeed them.

#5405 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Ok, thanks. I was hoping it would stay available for future games. Too bad one of the best songs is not readily available.

When you start a game, before the first plunge, rotate to the Lies Album patch. You'll easily collect it (pay attention to the lane change ability of the lights on the inlanes) and can play it anytime for the rest of that game.

#5406 3 years ago
Quoted from Leo13:

FYI, if you have like me some issues with the left ramp flap jumping out of the right hole, I found a solution : just cut the head of a zip tie and insert it to the outer wireframe. Problem solved !
[quoted image]

That switch pops out on me constantly. I have the glass off at least once an hour. Very frustrating. I’ve tried putting the end of several different sized zip ties on there but it’s too loose and the zip tie end just slides off easily. Can anyone recommend the right size zip tie for this to work?

#5407 3 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Is there a list of the official results posted anywhere?? I cant find anything.

No idea, I just skip-watched the YouTube through all the categories... search pinball industry awards and it will come right up

#5408 3 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I did this last night. I absolutely love this game.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Man, I don’t know how you guys put up these scores. Every time I build the jackpot and want to cash in, I lose the ball
...so frustrating. Had 3 mil sitting on you could be mine...drain.

#5409 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

When you start a game, before the first plunge, rotate to the Lies Album patch. You'll easily collect it (pay attention to the lane change ability of the lights on the inlanes) and can play it anytime for the rest of that game.

Thanks, so much to learn on this game still.

#5410 3 years ago

Do any of you know or have you noticed on the update from 1.08 to 1.12, you used to be able to hit the external volume button to advance the song in Jukebox mode. The advance a song doesn’t appear to work anymore like this with version 1.12.

#5411 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Man, I don’t know how you guys put up these scores. Every time I build the jackpot and want to cash in, I lose the ball
...so frustrating. Had 3 mil sitting on you could be mine...drain.

The scoring is out of balance right now in my opinion. Some long-playing songs score next to nothing while one song of the same length scores literally 20x a previous one. I realize the booster multiballs pump scoring (in a non-obvious way), number of balls locked perhaps affects scoring, and some patches affect the scores in song modes (how much?) but it still seems way out of balance to me. Maybe certain songs inherently score more than others? I've had what felt like great songs score 1 million and others that felt no different score 20 million, mostly just by flailing with 6 balls in play, continually autoplunging to dribble down the right sling. Point is, while it's clear a player needs to pump up the booster modes before starting a song, it's not clear how the score of any given song will be affected. It's also not clear what affect changing the song has on scoring.

Also, why are we forced to play Desert Demolition without code and risk a ball in single ball play? Maybe just award 3 million or something until the mode is programmed?

The lights, feel, look, asset use, cosmetic touches (lighted guitar pick spinners, guitar lock, bass "strings", drum sticks) of this game are great. The code needs more love still though. Most JJP games suffer from the "flail in multiball for all your points" syndrome. Dialed In doesn't, but the others do. Right now, so does GNR. Still, I feel it's JJP's best game to date and I'm glad to own it. I hope the scoring gets reworked a bit though. And for the literally dozens upon dozens of autoplunges per game, I wish the shooter lane fed differently.

#5412 3 years ago

Anyone having more than normal resets after the 1.12 update? I noticed over the week once, just got started on Don’t Cry and reset again. Luckily no high score to be proud of, but wondering if there is a bug?

#5413 3 years ago
Quoted from Tdavis7965:

Anyone having more than normal resets after the 1.12 update? I noticed over the week once, just got started on Don’t Cry and reset again. Luckily no high score to be proud of, but wondering if there is a bug?

Yep. Happened on don’t cry for me also. JJP says they are working on it

#5414 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Most JJP games suffer from the "flail in multiball for all your points" syndrome. Dialed In doesn't, but the others do.

I disagree, at least for Wonka. That game demands precision shots AND doing the right shots at the right times. Multiballs must be controlled via cradling or strategic drains or you just won't make your shots.

#5415 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

The scoring is out of balance right now in my opinion. Some long-playing songs score next to nothing while one song of the same length scores literally 20x a previous one. I realize the booster multiballs pump scoring (in a non-obvious way), number of balls locked perhaps affects scoring, and some patches affect the scores in song modes (how much?) but it still seems way out of balance to me. Maybe certain songs inherently score more than others? I've had what felt like great songs score 1 million and others that felt no different score 20 million, mostly just by flailing with 6 balls in play, continually autoplunging to dribble down the right sling. Point is, while it's clear a player needs to pump up the booster modes before starting a song, it's not clear how the score of any given song will be affected. It's also not clear what affect changing the song has on scoring.
Also, why are we forced to play Desert Demolition without code and risk a ball in single ball play? Maybe just award 3 million or something until the mode is programmed?
The lights, feel, look, asset use, cosmetic touches (lighted guitar pick spinners, guitar lock, bass "strings", drum sticks) of this game are great. The code needs more love still though. Most JJP games suffer from the "flail in multiball for all your points" syndrome. Dialed In doesn't, but the others do. Right now, so does GNR. Still, I feel it's JJP's best game to date and I'm glad to own it. I hope the scoring gets reworked a bit though. And for the literally dozens upon dozens of autoplunges per game, I wish the shooter lane fed differently.

Give it some time and learn more of the rules. There’s 3 primary things you can do in a song to pump scoring:

1. Hit song shots and advance the level by hitting the scoop when it’s green.

2. Collect band members that are lit/flashing on the revolver insert and/or bottom right corner display. Get them all for band frenzy to really boost that jackpot.

3. Power chord. Use it for points and/or to add a ball when you really need it.

Also, if you get the fender patch and band member patches, it’ll vastly improve #2 above.

Booster multiball jackpots and # of balls locked prior to starting a song will also increase your starting song level which equals more points.

Once you start getting a feel of each songs rules. The flail fest drops down considerably and precision becomes the key for big jackpots.

After that, it all comes down to risk/reward. Keep pushing that jackpot limit and see how high you can get it before cashing out. Or, push to the end for an applause jackpot.

The only thing that feels out of whack scoring wise to me are the album modes and slash solo. Too much risk, not enough reward. And desert demolition = LOL (good thing live and let die is <3 mins long so DD isn’t lit too often haha). Beating an album should give some kind of booster, like light song and a victory multiball to give you a chance to lock some balls and play some boosters or something.

#5416 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Give it some time and learn more of the rules. There’s 3 primary things you can do in a song to pump scoring:
1. Hit song shots and advance the level by hitting the scoop when it’s green.
2. Collect band members that are lit/flashing on the revolver insert and/or bottom right corner display. Get them all for band frenzy to really boost that jackpot.
3. Power chord. Use it for points and/or to add a ball when you really need it.
Also, if you get the fender patch and band member patches, it’ll vastly improve #2 above.
Booster multiball jackpots and # of balls locked prior to starting a song will also increase your starting song level which equals more points.
Once you start getting a feel of each songs rules. The flail fest drops down considerably and precision becomes the key for big jackpots.
After that, it all comes down to risk/reward. Keep pushing that jackpot limit and see how high you can get it before cashing out. Or, push to the end for an applause jackpot.
The only thing that feels out of whack scoring wise to me are the album modes and slash solo. Too much risk, not enough reward. And desert demolition = LOL (good thing live and let die is <3 mins long so DD isn’t lit too often haha). Beating an album should give some kind of booster, like light song and a victory multiball to give you a chance to lock some balls and play some boosters or something.

I understand a lot of what you're saying and know how the rules work (short of the actual scoring math), but there seems to be a disconnect of what a song will be potentially worth when started. As a game goes long, and extra balls are awarded, and more songs are played, each one seems to be worth more than the last. Those games I blow up. I just put up 40-some million game but none of my songs varied much from one another in hit shots, balls added, or time played. But, the later songs scored WAY higher than the earlier songs with similar performance in each of them (10+ million point songs vs. 1 million point songs). While this is fine, it's not abundantly clear why it's happening except that more songs equals more extra balls which lead to more songs worth more points.

Also, yeah, you finish an album and are forced into single-ball modes (which is great really because too much multiball is a drag), but it's like a penalty because the risk is high and the scoring is low. Same for qualifying Slash solo. Cool side mode but risky and not worth many points. When the game's primary focus is on score, like this one is (which is awesome - it's pinball, not a video game), the path to higher scores should be presented more clearly and players shouldn't be locked into low scoring modes as a "reward". Make those album modes worth at least what the qualifying song jackpot was or more.

Lastly, as with many JJP games, it's not always clear what shot needs to be hit because everything is lit all the time. Most songs are okay but there have been times when I've trapped up and literally couldn't see what needed hit next in a song. This could be improved.

My games seem to be in the 3 - 8 million range, or over 30 million. The scores escalate very quickly if you earn enough extra balls to keep playing more songs. But early in the game, for the first song or two, points are minimal, even with boosting the songs via the multiball booster modes.

#5417 3 years ago

Well just put a deposit on an LE. Not to read 5416 posts in this thread.

Hopefully it’s as fun as Stranger Things and not as hard to dial in.

#5418 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

Wow you’re in for a great surprise. Might as well list stranger things in the market place now.

#5419 3 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

Wow you’re in for a great surprise. Might as well list stranger things in the market place now.

LoL GnR will be my 3rd pin. Started collecting at Christmas. I’m hooked.

#5420 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

LoL GnR will be my 3rd pin. Started collecting at Christmas. I’m hooked.

Welcome to the club!!

#5421 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Can you do a line out to your home entertainment system

Absolutely, but it would be a semi-long run to my AV receiver. Will probably do it if the BT fix takes longer than expected.

#5422 3 years ago

JJP wants $300 for a $5 headphone adapter

Even stern, who has the balls to charge $1000 for a topper only asks $90 for a the headphone jack...

*$300 does not include shipping

#5423 3 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

FWIW, this hasn't been my experience for about 90% of the re-connections via bluetooth.
I did, on one night, have a tough time re-pairing a previously paired soundbar. It just wasn't coming up in the list of 'available devices' onscreen, so I power-cycled the game and tried it again, but same thing. (Using my smartphone to confirm, I knew the soundbar was available but the pin wasn't seeing it.) I power-cycled it yet again and yep, there it was.
I could also swear that sometimes the list appears to be cached versus real-time but yeah, having spent a couple of weeks trying out roughly six different products, a process that involved me connecting a new one, then disconnecting, switching it out for another one, re-connecting, going back to the first one, etc. etc. etc. I'm here to tell ya that my experience hasn't been the same as yours. (All while the pinball was up and running - none of this swapping in/out required me to bounce the system save for that one time I described above.) Note that one soudbar was clearly incompatible. No clue why but it was tough to pair and once I did get it to pair the audio was absolutely corrupted and cut out completely at least 80% of the time. The rest were fine.
I agree it would be great to get this sorted. What would really be better than just making sure the list of available devices is consistent would be to introduce an option to set one as preferred so that when we re-power up the game the device will reconnect automatically.
Will it be an issue for me long-term? Probably not because I figure that now that I'm pretty much done and have made my selection I will change the connection to wired and it won't matter anymore. I left it as wireless so I could always go back to the internal speakers for comparison with what I thought would ultimately succeed them.

This is exactly why I prefer to keep it wireless as well, especially if you want to switch to game speakers when someone is playing a different game in the room. I also agree 100% on the need to auto pair at power-up like you can with any other BT source.
Hoping they can work it out. This is my 1st JJP and I love the feature when it works.

#5424 3 years ago
Quoted from Occelot:

The standard is a lot of game, especially considering it costs hundreds less than the current price of a Stern premium.

#5425 3 years ago
Quoted from Occelot:

The standard is absolutely worth the money. But it’s a totally different game than the LE. In my mind SE doesn’t stand for standard, but rather Speed Edition. If you want the faster, flowier, more pure shooting GnR- get the standard. If you want a more complex and whimsical world under glass- get the LE. I personally would keep my SE even if given the choice between the two for the same price. The light show on the LE is slightly enhanced because of the color rails and spot lights but 95% of it is there on the SE, and it’s second only to the LE in terms of best light show in pinball.

#5426 3 years ago

Joining the club end Thursday or Friday of next week, weather permitting, picking up a standard edition. I went from having no JJP games to getting 3 in the last few months, Dialed In, Wonka and now GNR.

#5427 3 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Absolutely, but it would be a semi-long run to my AV receiver. Will probably do it if the BT fix takes longer than expected.

Thanks mate , I've got months to wait until I get mine .
Is it HDMI out or a splitter what's involved .

#5428 3 years ago

Anyone with an SE, do you think there’s good location for these two amps? I had them installed on Metallica years ago and kept them after selling it just in case I had a use later. There wasn’t a good spot for them on my Aerosmith, so maybe they can be put to use on GNR.

Not sure if they could even be connected to use the LED in them, but still look good not lit up.

7E201D0D-CDE0-4279-BC61-282C4406A02D (resized).jpeg7E201D0D-CDE0-4279-BC61-282C4406A02D (resized).jpeg

#5429 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Anyone with an SE, do you think there’s good location for these two amps? I had them installed on Metallica years ago and kept them after selling it just in case I had a use later. There wasn’t a good spot for them on my Aerosmith, so maybe they can be put to use on GNR.
Not sure if they could even be connected to use the LED in them, but still look good not lit up.
[quoted image]

Tons of room on the upper left stage

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#5430 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

Prepare for a long wait! They haven’t even delivered all of the orders from October 2020 yet much less the full backlog. Did your distributor give you an estimate? I’d guess September or even later if you just jumped on a preorder.

#5431 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Joining the club end Thursday or Friday of next week, weather permitting, picking up a standard edition. I went from having no JJP games to getting 3 in the last few months, Dialed In, Wonka and now GNR.

You have chosen wisely.

#5432 3 years ago

Anyone else have their magnet fail? The solenoid for the magnet by the top lanes has a resistor "rigged" inline to it (under the coil wrapper, taped to the coil), and mine failed, making the magnet not work (no continuity). This makes the game rough as the ball never drops into the top lanes (to collect extra balls or Axl letters). Also, my lower right hotrail isn't working. Anyone else seeing these issues?

#5433 3 years ago

I see this a lot, but I don’t think it’s true.

Is it because there is a physical ball lock on the LE? Because you plunge after ball locks?

In a game with so many multi balls, and so much going on, a few plunges isn’t even a factor when it comes to speed and flow.

Also, going up the left ramp and directly into a shot, like the bass or lock is excellent flow that the SE doesn’t have. Plus, the way the LE releases the locked balls adds a lot to flow. You don’t have to wait for launched balls to clunk their way through the skill shot and out.

You could say the SE has less flow and shoots worse because the upper play field shots are great. Both models are about as equally fast though. Getting the locked balls out quicker makes the LE feel a bit faster.

Quoted from nicoy3k:

If you want the faster, flowier, more pure shooting GnR- get the standard.

#5434 3 years ago

Anyone know how to set the date and time? I set it for America > Los Angeles and it thinks it’s 8:20am. Set it manually and it ignores the manual and picks some other random time. Weird.

It’s 6:20pm LA time when I took this pic.

8E18619D-23C4-4D03-B4B1-7FBB43178AFE (resized).jpeg8E18619D-23C4-4D03-B4B1-7FBB43178AFE (resized).jpeg
#5435 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Anyone know how to set the date and time? I set it for America > Los Angeles and it thinks it’s 8:20am. Set it manually and it ignores the manual and picks some other random time. Weird.
It’s 6:20pm LA time when I took this pic.[quoted image]

After about 20 tries, “network provided” somehow popped up, which I’ve gotten to show before, but this time I knew the buttons and got it to save correctly.

#5436 3 years ago

Anyone tweaked the inner loop shot? Mine isn’t as clean as another one I played.

#5437 3 years ago

I heard a rumour jjp is going to release a topper that is better than the CE and Lior is going to have a topper that needs laptop for it . Decisions , decisions , better start saving your money .

#5438 3 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I see this a lot, but I don’t think it’s true.
Is it because there is a physical ball lock on the LE? Because you plunge after ball locks?
In a game with so many multi balls, and so much going on, a few plunges isn’t even a factor when it comes to speed and flow.
Also, going up the left ramp and directly into a shot, like the bass or lock is excellent flow that the SE doesn’t have. Plus, the way the LE releases the locked balls adds a lot to flow. You don’t have to wait for launched balls to clunk their way through the skill shot and out.
You could say the SE has less flow and shoots worse because the upper play field shots are great. Both models are about as equally fast though. Getting the locked balls out quicker makes the LE feel a bit faster.

I don’t think you can overstate how different the games play and how much faster the SE is... A quick ramp vs an upper play field with 3 or so different shots (and a vuk) and a 6 ball physical ball lock that plays a prominent role in the game play. The LE is much more stop and go...In multi ball you have a lot less to worry about on the SE because you don’t have to pay attention to the upper play field. The SE also looks much more open so it’s easier to see the ball(s) and track your shot. Eric Meunier himself describes the SE as a much faster game....

#5439 3 years ago

Anyone else have the spinning record lower on the playfield so the ball gets stuck? I tightened the white plastic nut under neigh the playfield and that seemed to fix the level problem. The top screw seemed very tight. Hopefully the white plastic nut doesn't keep getting loose with game play. Thanks.

#5440 3 years ago

Does JJP have a direct connect for subs? If not, anyone know of a rca to alligator clip for sale anywhere?

#5441 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Anyone else have the spinning record lower on the playfield so the ball gets stuck? I tightened the white plastic nut under neigh the playfield and that seemed to fix the level problem. The top screw seemed very tight. Hopefully the white plastic nut doesn't keep getting loose with game play. Thanks.

I just started having this issue after a couple months of ownership. It only happens once or twice in a dozen or so games so i havent dug into too deep yet, but I asked about it i think on the previous page of this thread and Lloyd said to loosen the white plastic, tighten screw some, then tighten the white plastic. Sounds like that’s what you did? I havent played with mine yet.

#5442 3 years ago

I'm half considering swapping out my Jurassic Park Pro for a GnR standard in the next few months. I completely love Jpark, the shots/layout, the code, the theme etc. It's pretty much my favourite game ever. How are people enjoying GnR? I've seen a lot of multiball heavy accusations... Fair? How is the code and game progression? I need to play one but that's obviously very difficult at present so just trying to get a bit of a sense of the game.

#5443 3 years ago
Quoted from Huggers:

How are people enjoying GnR? I've seen a lot of multiball heavy accusations... Fair? How is the code and game progression? I need to play one but that's obviously very difficult at present so just trying to get a bit of a sense of the game.

There’s a good thread that addresses both of your questions and has lots of other impressions here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread

#5444 3 years ago
Quoted from Huggers:

I'm half considering swapping out my Jurassic Park Pro for a GnR standard in the next few months. I completely love Jpark, the shots/layout, the code, the theme etc. It's pretty much my favourite game ever. How are people enjoying GnR? I've seen a lot of multiball heavy accusations... Fair? How is the code and game progression? I need to play one but that's obviously very difficult at present so just trying to get a bit of a sense of the game.

I own JP LE and GNR LE, so here's my opinion:
They shoot very different from one another, and the rules are very different as well.
GNR has a great rock n roll theme, great call outs, lights, sounds, etc. Really perfect theme integration and loads of nice touches. I haven't played a standard GNR but know for sure I'd miss the upper playfield (best rules of the game involve it) and the colored hotrails (a big part of the overall effect of the light show). You really need to be okay with more multiball play than single-ball play though. Just the nature of the GNR rules. The whole point is to maximize "song" ball save time, and maximize locked balls before starting a song. Once in the song, the ball save can go on for a minute or more, with up to a 6-ball multiball, plus add-a-balls can keep qualifying so you generally wind up with multiball sessions of 3 - 5 minutes for each song. Also the build-up to the song (where you collect band members and boost the song mode scoring), has 4 different multiball modes, each of which can be qualified before EACH song you play, and they all stack. Plus there's tour multiball once qualified.

So, GNR is great fun and unique in a lot of ways but yes, it's very multiball heavy. Cashing out for a huge jackpot after a long MB session is certainly rewarding (don't drain that last ball before collecting).

You already know that JP is a shot-making game with several paths to good scores, with a great balance of single-ball vs. multiball play.

If JP is your favorite game ever, maybe play some GNR before committing. They will be making them for a long time and the code will continue to get updates surely over time, improving the game. Don't overlook the importance of the upper playfield on GNR....it completely changes the game for the better.

#5445 3 years ago

I have a GNR LE and JP premium.

Don’t sell the JP. Save, sell a kidney, get a second job, do what you have to do and buy GNR a year from now. They will still be running them.

Quoted from Huggers:

#5446 3 years ago

Hey guys, I heard GNRs cabinet on the LE is almost semi Radcal-ish. It’s like it has a protective coating/shine to it. Is this true? Do we need flipper protectors or is this new decal tech anti-wear? Thoughts?

#5447 3 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_Ripper:

Hey guys, I heard GNRs cabinet on the LE is almost semi Radcal-ish. It’s like it has a protective coating/shine to it. Is this true? Do we need flipper protectors or is this new decal tech anti-wear? Thoughts?

I found the Wonka SE decals similar, a really nice clear finish on them. We did not experience wear on them at 5000 plays when we sold.

#5448 3 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_Ripper:

Very slick, high gloss finish. And I swear I read somewhere from JJP that no extra protection was needed.

#5449 3 years ago

Anyone have a JJP headphone adapter the want to sell?

#5450 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

I own JP LE and GNR LE, so here's my opinion:
They shoot very different from one another, and the rules are very different as well.
GNR has a great rock n roll theme, great call outs, lights, sounds, etc. Really perfect theme integration and loads of nice touches. I haven't played a standard GNR but know for sure I'd miss the upper playfield (best rules of the game involve it) and the colored hotrails (a big part of the overall effect of the light show). You really need to be okay with more multiball play than single-ball play though. Just the nature of the GNR rules. The whole point is to maximize "song" ball save time, and maximize locked balls before starting a song. Once in the song, the ball save can go on for a minute or more, with up to a 6-ball multiball, plus add-a-balls can keep qualifying so you generally wind up with multiball sessions of 3 - 5 minutes for each song. Also the build-up to the song (where you collect band members and boost the song mode scoring), has 4 different multiball modes, each of which can be qualified before EACH song you play, and they all stack. Plus there's tour multiball once qualified.
So, GNR is great fun and unique in a lot of ways but yes, it's very multiball heavy. Cashing out for a huge jackpot after a long MB session is certainly rewarding (don't drain that last ball before collecting).
You already know that JP is a shot-making game with several paths to good scores, with a great balance of single-ball vs. multiball play.
If JP is your favorite game ever, maybe play some GNR before committing. They will be making them for a long time and the code will continue to get updates surely over time, improving the game. Don't overlook the importance of the upper playfield on GNR....it completely changes the game for the better.

Thanks for this, super helpful and a lot of food for thought.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

8,500 (OBO)
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 210.00
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

7,500 (OBO)
$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 28,303 posts in this topic. You are on page 109 of 567.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/109?hl=daveyvandy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.