11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2302.JPG

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

anyone know the part # for the drop target reset bar spring for mid 70's gottlieb (Target Alpha)
I looked through PBR and couldn't find it..

#2 11 years ago

wish I could help you Juggernaut.
Ive been trying to find electronic copies of the Gottlieb parts manuals for some time now

I always email Jimmy. he seems to be able to get the elusive part #s

--Jeff

#3 11 years ago

Just call him...his bark is worse than his bite....

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

I like talking to him on the phone. Always such a nice guy. Kinda like we're on the same page or something.- but sorry, I don't have yor part #

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Jimmy's the man.

He'll know the part number as long as you tell him what year/make/model the machine is and a detailed description of the part. I just sent him a $100.00 plus order today for my Williams Stardust.

Ken

#6 11 years ago

A-13455 is the 'reset arm return spring' (which is the wrap around kind that has a couple loops and two arms that splay out).

A-12178 is the 'spring' (a real spring) that attaches to the trip arm.

Then there are the pair of springs that attach each individual trigger plate, but those don't sound like what you're asking for.

#7 11 years ago

I thought people were joking. Then I put in my first big order for some TX-Sector stuff.

I was even prepared and had parts numbers and I still got yelled at. Seriously crazy. It was an experience and that is for sure. I will def brush up even more the next time I need to place an order. LOL

#8 11 years ago

If you order Gottlieb stuff from that era all the time, I suggest adding the 1978 parts catalog to your order from PBR. It's a well made reprint and has saved me many a time with just such questions as you ask.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I was even prepared and had parts numbers and I still got yelled at.

That's the fun of ordering from him.

Strap on your jockstrap just for the psych factor, and use your Rodney the Alligator voice when you call. I'm not kidding.

#10 11 years ago

Juggernaut,

For future needs:
I dug around and found my old Gottlieb Parts Catalog that I bought off of epay several years ago.
It is 1976 - Volume N.

The info DirtFlipper provided exactly matches what I see on my catalog pgs 15 & 17 & in the parts list in back pgs.

Hope all goes well w/ your e-m pin repairs. Nice e-m collection you got going there.

#11 11 years ago

It seems like I see this bolt on his site everytime except now that I need one.

Part# for this pivot bolt, anyone?

IMG_2302.JPGIMG_2302.JPG

#12 11 years ago

Has anybody ever worked in the automotive business and dealt with those parts knuckleheads-especially Ford with their obsolete, superceded, backordered bullshit. Believe you me, if Steve ever decides to hang it up, we're all screwed!

#13 11 years ago

ReallifePin,

Not sure if you are asking about it for a mid 70's Gottlieb and if it is for a replay unit,
but is it possibly this:

A-1058 Subtract pawl shoulder screw

#14 11 years ago

I ordered today and he was actually very pleasant to me. I was expecting the worst.

#15 11 years ago

When I call he always seems to question why I'm ordering what I'm ordering. To save a little bit of trouble I just e-mail, it's just as quick and no hassle!

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from joestro78:

I ordered today and he was actually very pleasant to me. I was expecting the worst.

Did you use the Rodney voice?

No joke, he likes that.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

ReallifePin,
Not sure if you are asking about it for a mid 70's Gottlieb and if it is for a replay unit,but is it possibly this:
A-1058 Subtract pawl shoulder screw

It is for the replay unit even though that's not what the picture is. Thanks.

#18 11 years ago

Don't get me wrong.. LOVE PBR and wouldn't change a thing.. Life is better lived at full throttle, in color & volume cranked..

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Did you use the Rodney voice?
No joke, he likes that.

I did. He said it was the best he's heard.

#20 11 years ago

Steve is the greatest - when I first started calling, I tried to sound smarter about pinball than I was at the time, and he killed me on things. Now, I absolutely enjoy when he tells stories about how part numbers got assigned, what they mean, etc. I think he relishes being the expert, and he likes to help those who come to him and humblely ask rather than think they know.

BTW - If you don't always pay on time, he gets really upset at that, and he should!

Todd in NJ

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from joestro78:

I did. He said it was the best he's heard.

See, and some of you thought I was joking.

Here, listen and brush up (about 1 minute in):

#22 11 years ago

Steve's all right. Since the brass press from the Gottlieb factory to make pop-bumper bodies won't be set up for awhile at PBR, he went to his private stash at home to find a part for me today. Didn't have to do that............BTW, I hope you like purple or white bodies - don't throw away any old parts.

Dave

#23 11 years ago

Sorry for OT, but this is the best thread title I have ever seen here. My ears share your same pain sometimes.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from toddwino:

If you don't always pay on time, he gets really upset at that, and he should!

If you have bill pay through most any bank you can set him up as the payee. I hop one my pc right when I get a delivery, click pay next to PBR, enter the amount and invoice number and click send. Takes me less than a minute and I recommend it to anyone.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I thought people were joking. Then I put in my first big order for some TX-Sector stuff.
I was even prepared and had parts numbers and I still got yelled at. Seriously crazy. It was an experience and that is for sure. I will def brush up even more the next time I need to place an order. LOL

I heard that in his early days, he would yell "get a manual" before hanging up on you! Now that there's more pin parts sellers, he's gotten a little softer. I email my orders in now just incase

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from toddwino:

Steve is the greatest - when I first started calling, I tried to sound smarter about pinball than I was at the time, and he killed me on things. Now, I absolutely enjoy when he tells stories about how part numbers got assigned, what they mean, etc. I think he relishes being the expert, and he likes to help those who come to him and humblely ask rather than think they know.
BTW - If you don't always pay on time, he gets really upset at that, and he should!
Todd in NJ

Just the fact that he ships parts before getting payed is unheard of. If you slip up and forget to pay, just send them an email and tell them when you actually mailed the check. They will understand.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's the fun of ordering from him.
Strap on your jockstrap just for the psych factor, and use your Rodney the Alligator voice when you call. I'm not kidding.

Rodney the Alligator voice OMG

#28 11 years ago

I really like Steve, and he is an irreplaceble "resource" for those of us with Gottliebs. I think his way of communicating is actually pretty effective, because I notice that I check all of my part #s at least twice before calling, but whenever I do call, I can't help but think about this Seinfeld episode....No Gottlieb parts for you!!!

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

It seems like I see this bolt on his site everytime except now that I need one.
Part# for this pivot bolt, anyone?

Just a heads up - there are two different sizes (lengths) of shoulder bolts, depending on which stepper unit it is. Last time I ordered one from PBR, Steve said they were getting scarce. I'm much more cautious now with these - they love to break off when attempting to loosen the nut.

But if they do need to be replaced, just be aware they come in two sizes.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Last time I ordered one from PBR, Steve said they were getting scarce.

Maybe someone who has one can size it for future reference?
They do make them just need someone to check into it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=4mm+diameter+shoulder+bolts&hl=en&tbo=d&rlz=1C1EODB_enUS510US516&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=V0weUb30L6q80QGUmIGQDA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

#31 11 years ago

Called PBR today. I really like the idea of talking to a real person when ordering, even if the person is a little no-nonsense. He took it easy on me and sent out an order of parts without payment. That alone shows that he is a good guy.

#32 11 years ago

I've ordered from him many times... Steve can be a bit prickly at first, but by the end of the call he is always super cool. A huge asset to the pin community for sure.

#33 11 years ago

I deal with Jimmy, nice guy.

#34 11 years ago

Ordering parts from Steve is alway an adventure , he is so classic . A legend in my book , he ships stuff to my po box and it arrives in 3 days ..all the way across the country which is nice , I'm always nervous , I never seem to have my costumer number , the part numbers I have I don't need and the part numbers I don't have I get chewed a bit , he's alway super nice at the end of the call ..

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from Dawson:

Ordering parts from Steve is alway an adventure , he is so classic . A legend in my book

I wish everybody was a straight shooter like Steve, instead of that kiss-ass robotic "how may I serve you today" that you now get whenever you walk into a BofA.

1 month later
#36 10 years ago

Anyone know what the part number is for the plastic retainer clips that hold decagon score reels in place? lol... for a Card Trix.

#37 10 years ago

Just email them, it's hard to yell thru the internet

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Anyone know what the part number is for the plastic retainer clips that hold decagon score reels in place? lol... for a Card Trix.

Whoa, I wonder if this is the same part number I need? I need a plastic retaining clip for the score reels in my Volley. If anyone has the # handy I'd really appreciate it!

#39 10 years ago

I got the heads up on Steve before I called. Once I told him I was a blithering idiot and didn't know the first thing about fixing or ordering pinball parts (and I finally got him laughing), he was nothing but a help, sometimes explaining things that had me fogging over.
When I finally met him at Allentown, I just shook his hand and said, Hi, I'm the know nothing idiot from Park Ridge. (he knew me immd!)
He also told me he was not doing shows anymore...is that true?

#40 10 years ago

I placed my first order with him a few weeks ago and only got lectured once. He is a great asset to our community and I respect the fact that he is old school.

#41 10 years ago

Sadly, true. No shows anymore. "Too much work, no time"

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Didn't see him at the York Show last October. Ted, I will be at Chiller singing with Bruce's band The Test this April. I will be sure to say hello to you.

- jeff

#43 10 years ago

I love Steve. Every time I place an order I learn something new. He is also a standup guy and won't try and sell you things that you don't need.

Saved me some cash on my Centigrade 37. I thought I needed to change the springs, coil sleeve, etc on the advance unit that was giving me trouble. Talked me out of the parts and into the fix.

#44 10 years ago

Frax & Bobbyc,

In my 1976 Vol N Gottlieb Parts Catalog, in the section for Score Unit Parts,
I see a #5133-25 Retaining Ring that goes at the end of the shaft.
Not sure if that is what you guys are asking about.

MLV

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

That is what I understand.

I met Steve for the first time at Pinball Expo in Chicago in 1999. That was Steve's last Expo after having been to all of them prior to that. He mentioned how in the beginning 70% or thereabouts of his customers would be at the show. So it made sense to be there, even with the effort of packing and driving out from Poughkeepsie to Chicago. He said he stopped going to Expo because he lost too much business by not being at the phones in NY since the percentage of his customer base was now so small at Expo.

After that I understand he still went to Allentown which is much closer to Poughkeepsie (3 hour drive). I can see where he doesn't feel the need to even go to that show with how busy he stays.

PBR is still the best value in pinball parts if he has what you need. And me being a big EM guy Steve has most of what I need.

Mike O.
Team-EM

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

PBR is still the best value in pinball parts if he has what you need. And me being a big EM guy Steve has most of what I need.
Mike O.
Team-EM

Right on.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Frax & Bobbyc,
In my 1976 Vol N Gottlieb Parts Catalog, in the section for Score Unit Parts,
I see a #5133-25 Retaining Ring that goes at the end of the shaft.
Not sure if that is what you guys are asking about.
MLV

Yeah, sorry, wrong thing.

I'm talking about the plastic channel+clip that the bakelite portion of the entire reel assembly slides into to actually keep them upright and in place....but, looking at mine last night, it looks like the "guides" are riveted to the metal...so just about impossible to replace. Going to have to find a ghetto solution.

#48 10 years ago

I realize that Card Trix is a single player wedgehead, but
In the section for "2 Player Mounting Shelf" (and ditto for 4 Player),
these two parts are listed separate from the metal shelfs and metal shelf mounting brackets:

B-10808 Unit Mounting Lock Slide (lower)
B-10809 Unit Mounting Lock Slide (upper)

Again, not sure if that is the parts you need.
From the diagram it looks like each one of the 808's and 809's would take 3 rivets.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from CodyF:

If you have bill pay through most any bank you can set him up as the payee. I hop one my pc right when I get a delivery, click pay next to PBR, enter the amount and invoice number and click send. Takes me less than a minute and I recommend it to anyone.

Thanks so much for this tip it hadn't dawned on me to use my bill pay for PBR!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-i-need-a-parts-so-steve-wont-yell-at-me-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.