(Topic ID: 83308)

The Official EM Gottlieb Abra-Ca-Dabra Club - Droolers Welcomed!

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 661 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 days ago by seshpilot
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20191225_122621_resizeda (resized).jpg
20191225_122852_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_2043 (resized).jpeg
20240307_075637_resized (resized).jpg
20240206_181357_resized (resized).jpg
20240130_095053_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_1608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1609 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2861 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0072 (resized).jpeg
Ball Guide Rail Scuff (resized).jpg
Credit_Wireform (resized).jpg
IMG_5093 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider misterclutch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#282 6 years ago

I've had my Abra ca Dabra since 1982 but am new to Pinside. Gottlieb released the game while I was in high school and it quickly became my favorite machine. When the Surf Side Arcade in Rehobeth Beach, DE put the game for sale, I used the money I had gotten for a college graduation award to buy her. The arcade was asking $150 but knowing they had paid the license for the year I offered them a hundred agreeing to let them keep the machine til the end of summer so it could make money for them all through beach season. We shook hands and I picked up Abra Ca Dabra on Labor Day.

Besides replacing all the burned out bulbs and putting on a new rubber kit when I got the game home, she hasn't asked for much to eat these last 35 years. A friend broke the glass when he picked up the front and slammed it on the ground (dumb) and the speaker I had on the head (dumber) toppled forward. Fortunately the playfield wasn't damaged and $75 for a used glass ACD was rolling again. The machine went wonkers not long after that. A week of pulling out my hair trying to make sense of the schematic and she just started working fine again. Shrug. I figured a chunk of tempered glass got stuck somewhere and worked itself loose.

The machine fell into disuse as I got older but was always ready to play if you had a spare quarter. I have always made everyone pay to play. It keeps the incentive high and I used to break open the cash box for an annual party. I was really bummed when I fired up the game while we were getting ready to move two years ago and the flippers and play field were dead. After my last attempt at trouble shooting 30 years before I couldn't muster the effort to look at the machine til last weekend. I got lucky again this time. An afternoon of head scratching narrowed things down to dirty contacts on the ball count unit.

I have basically had the old girl since the end of her original arcade service, so the machine is virtually untouched (the counter shows right at 50,000 plays). She shows her age, but we have sort of grown old together. Other than a light bulb here and there or new bumpers I would never change a thing.

#283 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The lower lane guides are transparent red. The ones up top are opaque green. They still light up, but you can't see through them when the light is off, the red ones you can.

My playboard info sheet only specifies color, but I've had my machine since 1982 and the guides are all opaque. The upper green guide is single sided.

1 year later
#318 5 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Not sure where I got this

That's it. Each hit of the pop bumper advances the "I" relay (mini stepper on the bottom of the play field) by one step. There is no reset logic to drive the relay to a home position, so it will maintain whatever its last position was between balls/games until it receives a next signal from the pop bumper. The erratic behavior of that relay has plagued my machine for 35 years, but adds a neat unpredictability to play. Great article on rebuilding/setting these guys: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-as-match-stepper-rebuild-step-by-step#post-1721644
I relay (resized).jpgI relay (resized).jpg

#319 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Ramblings of a ACD owner.... Read at your own risk.
Have been playing my Abra Ca Dabra, (5 Balls) a lot lately. Seem to get high scores in the 90,000s, rarely roll the game. An average score will be 57,000 or so. I use to panic regarding the Pop Bumpers being close to the flippers, but now the Pop Bumpers seem to be just blocking the inlanes. On 5 balls one should average 10,000 points per ball, but not always. Can only imagine if the game was altered for Extra Ball. Then ACD would need a 100,000 point light. Ringing up Credits after the Bonus reaches 5000 would be more satisfying if this game was on location, but the Knock is still good to hear.

Dang, I've had my machine since 1982 and although I hold the current Pinside ACD High Score (223,320 set October 13, 1985), I bet my average game ain't but 25,000...

#322 5 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Play field just needs a full ReStore

?!? That thing is sweet; I wouldn't touch it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider misterclutch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-em-gottlieb-abra-ca-dabra-club-droolers-welcomed?tu=misterclutch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.