(Topic ID: 83308)

The Official EM Gottlieb Abra-Ca-Dabra Club - Droolers Welcomed!

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 661 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 days ago by seshpilot
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20191225_122621_resizeda (resized).jpg
20191225_122852_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_2043 (resized).jpeg
20240307_075637_resized (resized).jpg
20240206_181357_resized (resized).jpg
20240130_095053_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_1608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1609 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2861 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0072 (resized).jpeg
Ball Guide Rail Scuff (resized).jpg
Credit_Wireform (resized).jpg
IMG_5093 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikeo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i found the guts for the abra head

So I assume that means the head cabinet will not be coming my way?

Mike O.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

no mike, i have a spare head. since i will have to repaint the cabinet i will just repaint the spare head to match and you get the good one.
i am working on finding a shipping box to get it to you..

Excellent on the cabinet.

Which specific plastics are you looking for? I have the right drop target bank plastic in solid form. It is faded some.

Mike O.

2 weeks later
#90 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

He needs to provide better pics if he wants to sell it - even at his BIN.

If it was close enough to be able to pick up I would bite with the pictures he has provided.

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

What's the correct leg length for this game? Mine came with 31" legs.

31"

4 months later
#155 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm having a weird problem with my Abra Ca Dabra, the ball and game over and match lights are all off, but the rest of the backglass lights work fine. Must be a bad connection somewhere taking off that part of the chain, but I haven't found it yet. Need to trace things more carefully I guess.

With the game off, reseat the jones plug connectors to the head. That is where I would start first.

If that doesn't get it then look first in the head to the supply line that feeds those lamps and trace it for a break in the wire. You're looking for the common denominator for those strings. Could be as simple as a broken solder joint for the ground braid.

#157 9 years ago
Quoted from Perspex:

Wish the backglasses would get remade, not digging the flaking on mine.

They are:

http://pinballglass.homestead.com/

Run out and buy one!

#163 9 years ago

Seems odd that Ron would do another run of ACD glasses and not inform you if he was not able to fulfill your original request.

#170 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

1st choice - repro from Ron & Nancy Webb or Shay Assad - great quality - as original to factory as you can get
2nd choice if 1st choice above will never be available - bgresto - their restoration process is decent

ditto.

2 years later
#273 7 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Maybe I throw on one of these for the time being.

What paint are you using for those, Vic, and how well does it hold up?

1 year later
#367 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I do have a schematic and owners manual. The lights behind the drops aren’t moving. Just played a game and the pops are lit 100% of the time and either scoring 1000 or nothing. Being new to EM, what is best reference to look at as I dig into switch stack and relays?

There is probably an AS style relay that drives the lights above the drop targets to change. It will probably be on the bottom side of the playfield and be totally removable for maintenance via a jones plug. It is probably gummed up which is why the lights don’t index and the pop bumper doesn’t change on and off.

This is all experienced speculation as my ACD is on end in a corner of my garage. Look through what others have pointed you to regarding refubish instructions for AS relays.

#369 5 years ago

Since the sheath is missing, what would be recommended to protect the bare wire?

As long as the wire doesn’t touch anything the sheath isn’t necessary. Also, it is serving as a redundant path as the adjacent wire in the picture is doing the same thing.

#384 5 years ago

Can I be part of this club?

IMG_1881 (resized).JPGIMG_1881 (resized).JPG
#386 5 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i believe i sent you one of those heads for free

You did, to replace the water damaged head cabinet on an ACD, which is not included in this photo. Thank you very much.

1 month later
#452 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

More Abra fun. Maybe I should have taken pictures?
[quoted image]

You should be able to do this with your eyes closed by now.

#458 5 years ago

Mine is serial number 4571 and is missing the key line segment.

I suspect like someone above mentioned that screen got damaged halfway through the run. No biggie.

#460 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

My Abra day, needed to modify a plastic to fit behind the target
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice work, Ken. Will one of these be at TPF?

1 month later
#492 5 years ago

Is there anywhere to buy a complete AS Relay to do quick/easy swap with one of mine not working right?
Does anyone sell a complete rebuild kit for them?

Dave,

PBR has been the best source. They never sold a kit. And now don’t have all of the parts anymore. That said, you should be able to clean and fiddle with what you have to make it work, short of something being broken. Even with all new parts it’s not a given that it will function properly as there is adjustment you need to manage.

#496 5 years ago

Take him up on it Dave.

Quoted from pinhead52:

Ive got two abras im currently working on and just disassembled, clean, reassembled one. If yer desperate you could send me your AS, I'll service and send back. $7.90 small box shipping each way and maybe 20 for the tuneup

1 year later
#534 3 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Curious, I’ve always avoided putting new repro playfield a in EMs because of the clear coating. Seems like it just wouldn’t play quite the same. I realize sometimes you don’t have a choice but for those of us with decent playfields, I’m curious: how does the Wade pf play compared to an original non-cleared playfield?

I actually have auto clear applied to Wade repro Playfields before installing them in a game. They do not play out of the normal. On the contrary, their play is exceptional and appreciated.

1 year later
#565 1 year ago
Quoted from ChipS:

How do you all feel?

Makes me want to get through my ACD playfield swap so I can test your opinion.

To me, Quick Draw/Fast Draw is much better set up on 3 ball. I can see ACD having the same potential.

C37 on 3 ball overcompensates and makes it too easy on 3 ball.

1 year later
#624 69 days ago
Quoted from ChipS:

After sitting on a Wade PF for almost four years, I'm finally doing my Abra swap. First timer. And wouldn't you know it, I've already botched the first step - swapping the guide rails! I used a rubber mallet and alternated tapping each end and the rails went in mostly straight. But some started to bow in the middle and I tried to straighten it out as best I could, but ended up scraping some of the metal guide at the bend. It doesn't look terrible, but it feels rough - and I don't want the ball to get scratched.
While I hate to remove the rail - and risk damaging a brand new playfield - I don't want to keep a rough piece of metal in a spot that the ball is going to hit repeatedly. So I need to remove the rail, fix or replace it, and re-install. Question is, can I simply polish/buff out the rough spots on the existing rail, or should I create brand new wire guides using the Marco wire bending jig? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-8593[quoted image]

The adage “The enemy of good is better.” comes to mind here. If it were me I would fine sand/polish the scarred wire guide and call it good. It is nickel plated steel, not stainless. If it still has the nubs on the embedded portion I would be all the more inclined to leave it in. I’d be afraid the nubs would lift a split on the surface.

#636 68 days ago

I would take some 400 grit or 600 grit sandpaper to the rough edge. Lay down a bunch of painters tape on the playfield to protect it where it might get exposed. Only sand the rough edge. Once you have it smooth enough take some Mother’s Mag Polish to it and get as much shine as you can out of it. The whole process from start of tape masking to polished out shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes.

4 weeks later
#647 39 days ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Ok here's a question for the community, I picked up a really nice original pf. Its hard for me to justify spending $1000 to have this pf restored?
The only issue I have is the sunken inserts especially on the bonus ladder. We just know the ball coming off the flippers will sooner or later start tearing up the exposed edges.
Suggestions? Im going to approach a pf guy and see if they could fill just the bonus ladder inserts (auto clear). Any attempts Ive tried will polycrylic etc ends badly. Ive also tried acrylic.
[quoted image]

Leveling the inserts and clearing it should not cost $1000. This is assuming you are foregoing any restoration. Shouldn't even be half that. Am I missing something?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikeo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-em-gottlieb-abra-ca-dabra-club-droolers-welcomed?tu=mikeo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.