(Topic ID: 83308)

The Official EM Gottlieb Abra-Ca-Dabra Club - Droolers Welcomed!

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 661 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 33 days ago by seshpilot
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20191225_122621_resizeda (resized).jpg
20191225_122852_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_2043 (resized).jpeg
20240307_075637_resized (resized).jpg
20240206_181357_resized (resized).jpg
20240130_095053_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_1608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1609 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2861 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0072 (resized).jpeg
Ball Guide Rail Scuff (resized).jpg
Credit_Wireform (resized).jpg
IMG_5093 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dirtflipper.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 10 years ago

I've had four Abras. The first one I bought back in 1995 (along with a Drop A Card), and it was in decent condition (the DaC was very nice). I can't recall *why* I chose to sell it (and the DaC!), but I did. Well, I do recall actually. I bought another dozen games in 1996, so had to start cutting games loose.

I soon after realized the mistake I'd made in letting go of the Abra, and began a quest to replace it. Took three more Abras before finally getting a nice one again, and that one has stayed ever since. Probably will be the last title to leave too.

This one has 50,000-ish plays on the meter, and is nice enough all-around original (except for the bottom two plastics). I still see Abras pop up, but haven't found an upgrade yet (not really looking though either).

The thing I like about the game is that there are multiple ways to approach winning (drops, rollovers, bonus, score), a skill shot is required to reset the drops (not just an automatic reset), there are two ways to get the 1-4 sequence (so not just a plunger shot), everything can be done from flipper shots, and it has a progressive strategy. The flow is great, it's possible to make great ball saves, and the long distance drop target shots are very satisfying.

I've long thought it's been an underappreciated game, overshadowed by the other great '75 titles (El D., Atlantis), and the values have stayed low.

Downsides are the half-moon credit unit, and the use of particle board for the back of the cab. (So glad Gottlieb switched back to plywood a year or so later.)

As far as a value for the money type of game, I think Abra is a good example. Great player, not so expensive. (Yet.)

2014Mar08 004.JPG2014Mar08 004.JPG
2014Mar08 005.JPG2014Mar08 005.JPG
2014Mar08 006.JPG2014Mar08 006.JPG

#21 10 years ago

When looking at Abras, check the back panel on the cab. If they've been stored on end, the particle board likes to wick up moisture, which can lead to disintegration.

AbraCab 003.jpgAbraCab 003.jpg

3 months later
#57 9 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i found the guts for the abra head

That was a feat of magic for sure!

2 weeks later
#78 9 years ago

What's the count on the play meter inside the bottom cab?

#81 9 years ago

The metal plate on the ball arch isn't a factory item, so was possibly placed there by an operator.

#85 9 years ago

Aw, a C37 bit the dust?

No pedestal?

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

If you want to join the club right away here is a cheap one! Hurry! Run!
$500.00 BIN!
ebay.com link » Vintage 1970s Pinball Machine Abra Ca Dabra Fully Funtional
Ken

This is the same one that's been on CL for $1200, so they must now need it gone.

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from GizzArd:

What's considered a high amount of plays, low and medium amount of plus on a EM machine?

Depends a bit on the age of the game, and they didn't start using 5-digit meters until a bit later (and then 6-digit towards the end of the EMs), so they're not the most reliable indicator, but I'd say 70K-90K is average, 40-70K medium to low-ish, under 40K low. These can shift 10K +/-, depending on the age of the game.

And it's only one indicator. How the games were maintained does make a big difference. I've seen games with high play counts with better playfields than ones with 20K plays.

#106 9 years ago

Hi-tap is really for use with low voltage environments. A Gottlieb that's been rebuilt well doesn't need it.

1 week later
#142 9 years ago

And what of the Atlantis sitting on the other side?

3 months later
#161 9 years ago

Ron's usually pretty good on keeping his website updated if he has glasses in stock. Abra is still showing as available, so might be worth checking again.

3 weeks later
#180 9 years ago

With the playfield in the down position, sometimes the reset bar encounters an interference point that goes away when the playfield is up, or the mech is swung out. There's an adjustment to the 'stop' position of the reset bar that can be lowered a bit, so that the bar is able to go down farther.

#182 9 years ago

The contacts might benefit from a bit more burnishing. I see some carbon spots still.

1 year later
#205 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

So, I just picked one up without a back - anyone have dimensions on the cabinet so I can rebuild it?

Curse of the Abra!

AbraCab_003_(resized).jpgAbraCab_003_(resized).jpg

#207 8 years ago

For some mid-70's cabinets ('75-'76), Gottlieb used particle board for that back panel. Games stored on end can wick up moisture, and cause the panel to swell and then disintegrate. It's a key thing to check when considering purchase of one from that era. Thankfully, they switched back to a wood ply, but it caught some nice titles.

#209 8 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

My first New Years Prediction. DirtFlipper will making a trip to a Hardware/Lumber Store some time early in 2016.

Nah, that was Abra #2 or #3. Long since repaired and gone. A friend of mine was a commercial cabinet maker and we spent a Saturday at his shop making it right again. Many years ago.

3 weeks later
#214 8 years ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

If I was looking to be in the club, how much would I expect to pay to get in? Other than time of course, because I doubt these come up all that often.

It really depends on the cosmetic condition. If the backglass, playfield, cab, and plastics are nice, expect 1000-ish+. If a new backglass is needed, subtract 300; new plastics, subtract another 100, etc. I recently passed on one for 600 with a nice cab and playfield, but in need of a new backglass, only because I have one already and it wasn't enough of a deal to sink the time/money into. But last I knew it was still available. If I was looking for one, I would have grabbed it. Pretty wide range though, depending on cosmetic condition and location.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dirtflipper.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-em-gottlieb-abra-ca-dabra-club-droolers-welcomed?tu=dirtflipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.