(Topic ID: 83308)

The Official EM Gottlieb Abra-Ca-Dabra Club - Droolers Welcomed!

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 661 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 39 days ago by seshpilot
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20191225_122621_resizeda (resized).jpg
20191225_122852_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_2043 (resized).jpeg
20240307_075637_resized (resized).jpg
20240206_181357_resized (resized).jpg
20240130_095053_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_1608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1609 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2861 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0072 (resized).jpeg
Ball Guide Rail Scuff (resized).jpg
Credit_Wireform (resized).jpg
IMG_5093 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Darcy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

http://www.pinballrescue.net/Plastics_Abra_Ca_Dabra.html
There is a partial set too but I believe it does not include the lower plastics you are looking for.
Ken

The lower playfield plastics are available as a pair, separately from the other plastics.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from rushfan:

Anyone know where you can find the bottom 2 plastics? Mine also adds a 6th ball when game over. Any idea on how to fix it? Thanks!

Here are 2 possible answers.
Your ball count unit is out of adjustment. Or in my case, the last wire on the unit has broken off.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

When looking at Abras, check the back panel on the cab. If they've been stored on end, the particle board likes to wick up moisture, which can lead to disintegration.

AbraCab 003.jpg 159 KB

I understand that MDF is easier to router into. But for a back panel, it does not seem a good idea. The rear panel made from MDF could not have saved a ton of money on production. The part I get is that if you are making 15,000 machines a year and saving say $3.00 each, by not using plywood on each one, that adds up. In the '70's $45,000 was a good amount of money. Also I am sure that when these pins were new, there were only designed to last 4 to 5 years of hard use. IMHO.

#25 10 years ago

pinball 2013 010-896.JPGpinball 2013 010-896.JPG First time that I set up the ACD. Played it for awhile and thought 'gee what an easy game'. I was getting scores 180,000 to 220,000 points. The game was kicking out 6 balls a game. The sixth ball was dead. Looked more into the game and found a wire off on the ball count unit. There were a few others wires that had come off as well. The game had the scoring set to 3 balls and playing 5 balls a game. It is working fine now, cleaned up, and all waxed up.

3 months later
#41 9 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

It's been my Avatar for the past year or so since I fell in love with the game. Probably my favorite em, or very close.

That's kind of what we all thought.

1 week later
#61 9 years ago

Played ACD tonight, earned 1 'Special when Lit" replay, and 82,000. points.

1 week later
#66 9 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Time for pictures! Lets see it "A"!
Ken

Ken, it is Eh! although it does sound like A

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from woz:

I've lived in Canada for over 18 years and never heard anyone use the term Hoser

Just Bob and Doug used that.

1 week later
#121 9 years ago

I am having Pinball envy right now!

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from GizzArd:

Ok my backglass in my acd is in perfect condition. Should I leave it alone, triple thick it, should I tape up the score windows and risk lifting up paint or just triple thick the whole thing?

The general consensus, is that if there are no problems with the backglass. Just leave it alone. Change the bulbs to the lower output ones, and call it a day. On a side note. I have sprayed Triple Thick right over the score windows. I was going to remove the excess, but it is not noticeable. (To me.).

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from GizzArd:

It's on only when I play it. But it's no longer on than 20 mins at a time.

On ACD with that 9 game counter, I will play either a 9 or 18 games in a session.

#134 9 years ago

One tip I have when playing ACD is if the ball is slowly crossing any were in the outer most reaches of the flipper, hit the ball any way. Keeping the ball in play. If you let it hit the little guides above the flippers, the ball can drain. The pop bumpers can be your friend on this game. Good shots for me, are up to the top through the 1 or 4 rollover, then the ball will hopefully return through the 2 or 3 roll over.

#139 9 years ago

^^^^^ Seen that side ways 3 photo before. The insert is most likely loose. It may be a photo off of the internet or Pinside.

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Many of my inserts are loose, and I'm tempted to try to replace them all with the ones PBR sells.

Replace all of the inserts together as the new ones will be different. New inserts will not be yellowed by age and will stand out.

3 months later
#154 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

are the ones partially tucked under the upper plastics double sided as well? Is that pbr green the same green? THANKS

The upper green playfield plastics are only available with double sides. If you think it is needed, the one side can be trimmed off. The double sided fits with no problem. Purchase a full set, as these new ball guides will not match your original ball guides. The new ones will be a slightly different shade of green and the top surface may not have the identical shapes.

7 months later
#200 8 years ago

If Abra Ca Dabra had 2 inch flippers and a small post between the flippers would it be a much more brutal game?

6 months later
#208 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Curse of the Abra!

AbraCab_003_(resized).jpg

My first New Years Prediction. DirtFlipper will making a trip to a Hardware/Lumber Store some time early in 2016.

3 weeks later
#215 8 years ago

Recently installed the proper playfield plastic that is under the Top Center Plastic. Needed the 2 piece posts. Now the rebound shots off of the Drop Targets seem to be rolling up the #2 or #3 upper roll overs a lot more easily. Before, some one had installed an extra post and just put a large rubber around the area.

6543b79733b54280792a7a9dfd30ddbc8eada14aAbra_ca_dabra_centre._(resized).jpg6543b79733b54280792a7a9dfd30ddbc8eada14aAbra_ca_dabra_centre._(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#225 8 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

and heaven for bid speaking of early 80s – I have my bounty Hunter up and running out there and forgot how great it was as a change from my wedge heads

For Shame Ron. For Shame!

However, variety is the spice of life.

1 month later
#237 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I've considered putting it at five balls because it's not overly difficult at three.

Just do it! On 5 ball it is fairly challenging. Getting the 'Special Lit' for me happens on 1 game in 10 (an average). On 5 ball all of the Drop Targets have to be reset to advance the Bonus level, or make the A,B,C,D.

1 year later
#295 6 years ago

Lower playfield plastic held with those 2, two part posts.
DSCN0917 (resized).JPGDSCN0917 (resized).JPG

Gottlieb number A-14487 Split Post Base, and A-14488 Split Post Cap. Abra Ca Dabra needs four of them, two are under the upper left playfield plastic.

1 week later
#298 6 years ago

I believe I also had to adjust the post openings. The upper post should hide the enlargement.

2 months later
#315 6 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Hello, can someone tell me the rules for lighting the bumpers for 1000 pts when on 5 ball?

Think you need the ball to make 10 hits on the Pop Bumpers or any other ten 10 point scores.

4 months later
#317 5 years ago

Ramblings of a ACD owner.... Read at your own risk.

Have been playing my Abra Ca Dabra, (5 Balls) a lot lately. Seem to get high scores in the 90,000s, rarely roll the game. An average score will be 57,000 or so. I use to panic regarding the Pop Bumpers being close to the flippers, but now the Pop Bumpers seem to be just blocking the inlanes. On 5 balls one should average 10,000 points per ball, but not always. Can only imagine if the game was altered for Extra Ball. Then ACD would need a 100,000 point light. Ringing up Credits after the Bonus reaches 5000 would be more satisfying if this game was on location, but the Knock is still good to hear.

2 months later
#340 5 years ago
Quoted from Slade:

I own a Team One, that makes me an honorary member of this thread! Same game different skin? Add-a-ball anyone? What actually ARE the differences...other than the add-a-ball.

Team One has the extra targets behind both of the top drop targets.

2 months later
#382 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Very nice! A little "Wipe on Poly" on a rag will make that flipper drag almost disappear.

Will it improve the ball wear in the shooter lane? Will need to be reapplied as it wears?

#392 5 years ago
Quoted from woz:

I think there's another ACD in North Vancouver too. But three would be a good start

Pinside has 4 ACD registered in the Lower Mainland, there could be a few more.

3 weeks later
#411 5 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

where did you find the plastic piece you mentioned

Quoted from Tyamry:

Pinballrescue.net

Pinball Rescue. For Gottlieb playfield plastics and other playfield parts and decals. They are in Australia.

#447 5 years ago

That line is missing on my Abra Ca Dabra serial number 05532.

1 month later
#467 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

And why does Rescue provide the ball guide that is on the upper right, underneath the drop bank plastic? Ive been meaning to ask him

E-mailed them regarding the clear plastic under the upper right playfield plastic (a few years ago). They wrote, that the ball rarely even touches that guide. Mine was yellowed, so I just polished it heavily. It looked better, a new one would of made everything look the same. It is a clear piece with only the part number on it.

#471 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

ie they missed it in the first go around... I have a buddy that has a nice laser cutter, I should bet him to make up a dozen for us.

Or the game they used as a prototype guide did not have one on it.

That lower plastic on the top centre guide makes a bit of difference in game play. When it is installed instead of rubber rings the ball can be ricocheted off the drop target area, then the ball will travel up through the lane 2 or 3 fairly easily.

1 week later
#480 5 years ago
Quoted from woz:

pinhead52 did you order new light tubes from PBR? I'm missing one and can't find a part # in the catalog. TBH the ones I do have are discolored and slightly damaged so will probably replace them all.
Great work on the swap - can't wait to get to mine now once my home renos are done.

There is a hobby product called 'Plastruct'. They have various size plastic tubing for the hobby builder. Check out a large Hobby shop or Model train store.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Darcy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-em-gottlieb-abra-ca-dabra-club-droolers-welcomed?tu=Darcy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.