(Topic ID: 83308)

The Official EM Gottlieb Abra-Ca-Dabra Club - Droolers Welcomed!

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 661 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 37 days ago by seshpilot
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20191225_122621_resizeda (resized).jpg
20191225_122852_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_2043 (resized).jpeg
20240307_075637_resized (resized).jpg
20240206_181357_resized (resized).jpg
20240130_095053_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_1608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1609 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2861 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0072 (resized).jpeg
Ball Guide Rail Scuff (resized).jpg
Credit_Wireform (resized).jpg
IMG_5093 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CactusJack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 10 years ago

I've got a Team one, can I join?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Give us a comparison of likes/dislikes/Gameplay between Team One and ACD CactusJack and you are in like Flynn!
Ken

That's going to be hard to do since it is buried with a number of other EMs. When I had it set up, It was not the greatest layout as I remember. I am just not a fan of Add-A-Balls. But, its not your normal "Balls to Play" AAB. Those red flags across the backglass are actually "extra balls" that you have to play off before the "Balls to Play" can advance. And, of course, instead of the 1-4 duplicated down on the flipper feed lanes it has the 1-6 sequence feature. It is also missing the Match feature due to the 100,000-900,000 unit lighting. I am thinking it was the AAB aspect that totally turned me off of it. It was the first and only AAB I have ever owned other than a Diamond Jack still awaiting a refurb. which I am in no hurry to do.

Oddly enough, back in its day, I had never seen or played an ACD until I visited Cedar Point amusement park (in the late 80's) and they still had one on the floor. Of course, there, they don't award replays either (I believe its an Extra Ball territory) so I don't remember it going on my Radar then either. For whatever reason, the art wasn't one of the most attractive works of my all time Favorite Artist (GM). Then, more recently, I gave it another chance at PHOF and found at least the play was appealing to me. Mostly due to the fact I am a Huge Drop Target fan. But also since it has the added "Bonus Value" feature missing from TO. Certainly being a replay rule set helps too!

Damn! Now I want an ACD too...........

2 years later
#233 8 years ago

Is this the title we discussed a while back to run with 5 ball rules but set to 3 balls? If not, you can probably do it very easily with a single jumper on the 3/5 jones plug (or on the ball count unit) that trips the game over function at 3 instead of 5. Just leave the jones plug set to 5.

#235 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

It would make the game ridiculously easy if you have five balls to play the three balls rules.
On three balls, it allows you to collect 2 and 3 if you roll over either. Also on three balls, you can reset either set of drop targets and advance the bonus with only one side all down. On five ball, you have to have both sides down before you can advance the bonus and reset the targets. Also, on three ball, one side all down with the bonus at 5000 lights the center target for special. On five ball, both sides have to be down.
Making it five ball rules with it set on three balls would make the game much harder. On three balls, if you have a good game, you can really rack up some replays.

I did not mean to suggest 3 ball rules on 5 ball setting.

It appears that for some people, once they fine tune their games ( possibly with color dot coils, DC, or clear coatings), or have been playing it a long time and have mastered the game, they find their game to be too easy at 5 balls and then switch it to 3 balls per game. I am one that hate what many EM games do when switched to 3 balls. It often defeats a good part of what makes the original design properly balanced and fun to play. So, I was simply making the suggestion that if someone was going to go to 3 balls but still wanted the more difficult 5 ball rule set, it could be easily done. I could never see going 5 balls with 3 ball rules!

1 year later
#286 6 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Rust removed from legs and door. Cleaned up. Rollover for 4 won’t I light, will score points but stays lit. I’ve cleaned the rollover relay switch with no effect. Next steps? I don’t have a schematic and it’s my first em to trouble shoot through.

Number sequences are usually handled by a trip or relay bank (located on the underside of the playfield). Which you may have already known based on your stating you already cleaned the rollover relay switch.

What there will normally be is the switch on the playfield, would energize the "Trip" coil on the relay. There will be a normally closed switch that is supposed to open when the relay gets tripped so it doesn't have to trip over and over each time you roll through the 4. This switch could be dirty or out of adjustment. Also, your trip coil could be open. Check ohms across the lugs of one of the other numbers (1-3) and then compare to #4.

FYI, anyone taking on the repair of an EM should be armed with a schematic. Its well worth the $16 or so to order one from Steve at The Pinball Resource.

2 months later
#300 6 years ago

Are there credits on the game? The start button won't start a game without credits > 0 or if the game has been modified for Free Play.

6th ball is usually a broken wire jumper on the snow shoe wiper blades on the Ball count stepper unit (in the back box). The spring loaded wiper shoes should have a jumper that solders to both adjoining wiper blades. Not just the one across the bushings in the bakelite.

8 months later
#325 5 years ago

I am not looking at a schematic so I could be wrong but, typically, Gottlieb uses 10 points to advance the spot stepper. Which in this case, would also control the alternator relay (toggles bumpers on and off).

So, it would be normal for the lit pop(s) to stay lit while scoring but turn on snd off with each hit of 10 points.

If Abra has a moving spot lamp for the drop targets, see if it advances with each scoring of 10 points. If not, check 100. If the spot moves smoothly, then the pops should toggle on and off with each step.

1 week later
#332 5 years ago

Hard to come by for a reasonable price in good condition. Those prices may be low for Calif.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CactusJack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-em-gottlieb-abra-ca-dabra-club-droolers-welcomed?tu=CactusJack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.