(Topic ID: 83308)

The Official EM Gottlieb Abra-Ca-Dabra Club - Droolers Welcomed!

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 661 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 38 days ago by seshpilot
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20191225_122621_resizeda (resized).jpg
20191225_122852_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_2043 (resized).jpeg
20240307_075637_resized (resized).jpg
20240206_181357_resized (resized).jpg
20240130_095053_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_1608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1609 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2861 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0072 (resized).jpeg
Ball Guide Rail Scuff (resized).jpg
Credit_Wireform (resized).jpg
IMG_5093 (resized).jpg
There are 661 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 14.
#251 7 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

With only room for 5 it's gotta be tough

Yep.

Yep again.

Quoted from boilerman:

you kept sure shot over abra? wow
i like sure shot but i think abra is much more of a player

I agree that Abra is the better player but that does not take away from Sure Shot being a fun and challenging game. Sure Shot is a great B title and I am OK with having a mix of A & B titles in my arcade. I'm just glad I got a substitute pin that I really like in good condition for a nice price. Currently it boils down to money in our household as 2016 has been rough for us. I sold Abra for a price I could not refuse out of necessity to someone who just had to have it.

#252 7 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

I sold Abra for a price I could not refuse out of necessity to someone who just had to have it.

I need to find that person, I don't have room for my Abra Ca Dabra anymore.

#253 7 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

I'm also holding onto mine and waiting for Wade Krause to do the playfield, which will be happening soon

Any idea when? Where did you hear about Wade doing an Abra Ca Santa playfield?

#254 7 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Yep.

Yep again.

I agree that Abra is the better player but that does not take away from Sure Shot being a fun and challenging game. Sure Shot is a great B title and I am OK with having a mix of A & B titles in my arcade. I'm just glad I got a substitute pin that I really like in good condition for a nice price. Currently it boils down to money in our household as 2016 has been rough for us. I sold Abra for a price I could not refuse out of necessity to someone who just had to have it.

i agree if i need to move something the good games always sell faster and for more $$$
if you want another down the road it isn't a title that can not be replaced

#255 7 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Any idea when? Where did you hear about Wade doing an Abra Ca Santa playfield?

Wade and I are friends and live a few miles apart. I gave him my extra ACD playfield as a templet. I know he has it in his computer and its in the que to be done after Sky Jump. I have a list of people that have committed to buy this PF. I could add you to the list if you're interested. Just let me know.

#256 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i agree if i need to move something the good games always sell faster and for more $$$
if you want another down the road it isn't a title that can not be replaced

Yep.

Personally I like Sure Shot better than Bank A Ball as the Kickout holes are super gratifying to hit and have the ball stick to hear the crack of the knocker award a Special. I hope to have Sure Shot as a keeper as I now have a pool theme, and a Bowling theme with my Williams King Pin. Down the road when money starts flowing again I would like a Jacks Open for a card theme as I played a nice one at TPF and really liked it. If I ever get room for just 7 pins Jacks Open would be one and Abra would be back in the lineup as well. My arcade in Idaho I built from an old 1 car garage held 7 pins and I miss it, held 3 Multiplayer's and 4 single pins, don't miss the house or the state though.

3 weeks later
#257 7 years ago

I have a question about the gameplay for this game as I have one and im just wanting to know where exactly you score increased bonus. my machine doesn't give me any bonus when ball drains.. should it? I can increase value but hitting center target doesn't score bonus other than 500. is that right? game instructions tell me special works and mine does as it should. when targets are lit, hitting them gives me the added bonus . is this correct? am I missing something here?

thanks in advace.

#258 7 years ago
Quoted from singlezero:

I have a question about the gameplay for this game as I have one and im just wanting to know where exactly you score increased bonus. my machine doesn't give me any bonus when ball drains.. should it? I can increase value but hitting center target doesn't score bonus other than 500. is that right? game instructions tell me special works and mine does as it should. when targets are lit, hitting them gives me the added bonus . is this correct? am I missing something here?
thanks in advace.

Nope, the two side out lanes will score bonus or the lit drop target will score the bonus, no other way...

2 weeks later
#259 7 years ago

Finally got around to painting a game for myself and not every body else.

Rustoleum Heirloom white, Montana white "Sunflower (the yellow) and Rustoleum Colonial Red for the...

Krylon black Lava cut with lac thinner. Pinball pimp stencils and a warm but windy day in Texas last week.

20170125_201426_resized (resized).jpg20170125_201426_resized (resized).jpg

20170125_201435_resized (resized).jpg20170125_201435_resized (resized).jpg

20170121_162940_resized (resized).jpg20170121_162940_resized (resized).jpg

#260 7 years ago

Not the best examples but are awesome players... and, drop target heaven. ACD is my fav among these 4 but High Hand is a very close second.

wedgeheadrow (resized).jpgwedgeheadrow (resized).jpg

#261 7 years ago
Quoted from JONESDS:

but High Hand is a very close second.

Really? High Hand? Interesting you say that. I guess I just havent played it enough. High Hand artwork is awesome. I have a ACD and a Jacks Open. I love both of those games. Now I want to play High Hand!!

#262 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Rustoleum Heirloom white, Montana white "Sunflower (the yellow) and Rustoleum Colonial Red for the...
Krylon black Lava cut with lac thinner

Excellent job on the webbing. The whole thing looks great.

2 months later
#263 7 years ago

I just finished re-assembling my ACD, after I removed the lower board. The score motor was removed, dis-assembled, and hand polished as well as all of the relays. All of the contacts were cleaned with a quick swipe of the dremel with a wire wheel. All Jones plugs were cleaned the same way.
Play field was cleaned and waxed, with new rubbers, and all stainless was hand polished. I like the Mothers Wheel Cleaner paste with 0000 steel wool for that.

So fast forward to today. I have this machine next to my Team One and I am trying to see which one I prefer. I have ACD set on hi-tap which improves the action greatly.

One problem just arose though. After 2 days of playing, occasionally a 500 point target or rollover will not score, and the ball remains in the drain hole.

Thoughts?

#264 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Finally got around to painting a game for myself and not every body else.
Krylon black Lava cut with lac thinner. Pinball pimp stencils and a warm but windy day in Texas last week.

Very nice work. Thumbs up!!!

Have you ever tried a Wagner paint sprayer? I may try it for my next restoration. Those Rustoleum colors also come in quarts.

#265 7 years ago

When I got this machine the ground at the coin door was not connected. After i connected it, as soon as a rollover is activated my GFI trips. Happens every time. I then disconnected the ground from the door and find the machine plays fine. I followed the GR-Y from the coin door lead to the power switch and then back to the transformer. No signs of a cross.

Any ideas?

#266 7 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

When I got this machine the ground at the coin door was not connected. After i connected it, as soon as a rollover is activated my GFI trips. Happens every time. I then disconnected the ground from the door and find the machine plays fine. I followed the GR-Y from the coin door lead to the power switch and then back to the transformer. No signs of a cross.
Any ideas?

check the fish paper on the start button and the coin drop switches
the door has a ground

#267 7 years ago

I found the fault. The spring contact, (?), was rubbing the side of the switch causing it to ground out. Slightly bent the spring to allow the blade and fish paper to not contact it.

Cheers.

IMG_7048 (resized).jpgIMG_7048 (resized).jpg

IMG_7046 (resized).jpgIMG_7046 (resized).jpg

#268 7 years ago

Whoo hoo, I'm in the club! Well, not really, just borrowing an Abra Ca Dabra from a friend for a few months.

Great game, loving it, my first EM. Will need to decide if I want to buy it or not, which means moving out another game to make permanent room for it.

Anyway, the game does have some issues, I've created another thread for them, please see https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/abra-ca-dabra-questions-and-issues

One of my issues is the bonus advance not working, sounds the same as the one Wickerman2 had earlier in this thread. He said the fix was related to "sagging switches", though didn't state which switches exactly were involved.

#269 7 years ago

Its been about a year I have this Abra Ca Dabra in my collection. The game needed a lot of work from top to bottom, but came out very nice, after I put my magic touches on it. Game play stands up to all the compliments it gets from people who have the game in their collection.

Abra5-27 006 (resized).JPGAbra5-27 006 (resized).JPG

Abra5-27 009 (resized).JPGAbra5-27 009 (resized).JPG

Abra5-27 015 (resized).JPGAbra5-27 015 (resized).JPG

Abra5-27 027 (resized).JPGAbra5-27 027 (resized).JPG

Abra5-27 008 (resized).JPGAbra5-27 008 (resized).JPG

#270 7 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Its been about a year I have this Abra Ca Dabra in my collection. The game needed a lot of work from top to bottom, but came out very nice, after I put my magic touches on it. Game play stands up to all the compliments it gets from people who have the game in their collection.

You forgot to replace the start button with a nice new red anodized version...

#271 7 years ago

Restoration Special. just need to fix everything.

ebay.com link: 1975 GOTTLIEB ABRA CA DABRA VINTAGE PINBALL MACHINE

#272 7 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

You forgot to replace the start button with a nice new red anodized version...

Maybe I throw on one of these for the time being.

sept 2003 117 (resized).jpgsept 2003 117 (resized).jpg

#273 7 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Maybe I throw on one of these for the time being.

What paint are you using for those, Vic, and how well does it hold up?

#274 7 years ago

It was over 15 years ago that I used this paint for the credit and flipper buttons. I have to look over my games in my collection to see if I have any machines left with these painted buttons to evaluate how well they held up. I do remember giving them some coats of clearcoat too.

pinball paint 002 (resized).JPGpinball paint 002 (resized).JPG

pinball paint 003 (resized).JPGpinball paint 003 (resized).JPG

#275 7 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Restoration Special. just need to fix everything.
ebay.com link » 1975 Gottlieb Abra Ca Dabra Vintage Pinball Machine

It's got a bid.

#276 7 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

It was over 15 years ago that I used this paint for the credit and flipper buttons. I have to look over my games in my collection to see if I have any machines left with these painted buttons to evaluate how well they held up. I do remember giving them some coats of clearcoat too.

The one on the left looks really close.

I've painted a few of them waiting for a PBR order to come in. At least for me, they didn't hold up really well. But for a short term fix they were ok.

#277 7 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

The one on the left looks really close.
I've painted a few of them waiting for a PBR order to come in. At least for me, they didn't hold up really well. But for a short term fix they were ok.

Did you clear coat them afterwards?

#278 7 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Did you clear coat them afterwards?

No, but they were just a short term fix because I had new ones on order anyway.

2 weeks later
#279 7 years ago

I am restoring my ACD playfield and could really do with some pics of the pop bumper areas without the pop bumpers installed. I will be repainting that area as it is worn down to wood and I can't find any decent pics. Thanks!

I found this but it is a redraw and is the best I have so far...

http://popotte.arcadehits.net/AbraCaDabra.jpg

#280 7 years ago
Quoted from woz:

I am restoring my ACD playfield and could really do with some pics of the pop bumper areas without the pop bumpers installed. I will be repainting that area as it is worn down to wood and I can't find any decent pics. Thanks!
I found this but it is a redraw and is the best I have so far...
http://popotte.arcadehits.net/AbraCaDabra.jpg

how about this

20140617_232613 (resized).jpg20140617_232613 (resized).jpg

#281 7 years ago

Perfect! Thanks boilerman

I wish my playfield was as nice as that one

2 months later
#282 6 years ago

I've had my Abra ca Dabra since 1982 but am new to Pinside. Gottlieb released the game while I was in high school and it quickly became my favorite machine. When the Surf Side Arcade in Rehobeth Beach, DE put the game for sale, I used the money I had gotten for a college graduation award to buy her. The arcade was asking $150 but knowing they had paid the license for the year I offered them a hundred agreeing to let them keep the machine til the end of summer so it could make money for them all through beach season. We shook hands and I picked up Abra Ca Dabra on Labor Day.

Besides replacing all the burned out bulbs and putting on a new rubber kit when I got the game home, she hasn't asked for much to eat these last 35 years. A friend broke the glass when he picked up the front and slammed it on the ground (dumb) and the speaker I had on the head (dumber) toppled forward. Fortunately the playfield wasn't damaged and $75 for a used glass ACD was rolling again. The machine went wonkers not long after that. A week of pulling out my hair trying to make sense of the schematic and she just started working fine again. Shrug. I figured a chunk of tempered glass got stuck somewhere and worked itself loose.

The machine fell into disuse as I got older but was always ready to play if you had a spare quarter. I have always made everyone pay to play. It keeps the incentive high and I used to break open the cash box for an annual party. I was really bummed when I fired up the game while we were getting ready to move two years ago and the flippers and play field were dead. After my last attempt at trouble shooting 30 years before I couldn't muster the effort to look at the machine til last weekend. I got lucky again this time. An afternoon of head scratching narrowed things down to dirty contacts on the ball count unit.

I have basically had the old girl since the end of her original arcade service, so the machine is virtually untouched (the counter shows right at 50,000 plays). She shows her age, but we have sort of grown old together. Other than a light bulb here and there or new bumpers I would never change a thing.

#283 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The lower lane guides are transparent red. The ones up top are opaque green. They still light up, but you can't see through them when the light is off, the red ones you can.

My playboard info sheet only specifies color, but I've had my machine since 1982 and the guides are all opaque. The upper green guide is single sided.

3 months later
#284 6 years ago

Joined the club yesterday. Had to rebuild the headbox as it had been dropped at some point. Almost perfect backglass, missing all its reds. 1 loose insert, Mylar on the pf. Generally really good with a little ball swirl and wear around the bumper.
Missing its chime unit unfortunately
Rusted coin door and legs but beautiful mechanically.

1E850132-738B-4631-8D03-6ECDB44CD80B (resized).jpeg1E850132-738B-4631-8D03-6ECDB44CD80B (resized).jpeg

76172CF2-CB6A-4232-B174-D5A7E10D59A7 (resized).jpeg76172CF2-CB6A-4232-B174-D5A7E10D59A7 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#285 6 years ago

Rust removed from legs and door. Cleaned up. Rollover for 4 won’t I light, will score points but stays lit. I’ve cleaned the rollover relay switch with no effect. Next steps? I don’t have a schematic and it’s my first em to trouble shoot through.

#286 6 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Rust removed from legs and door. Cleaned up. Rollover for 4 won’t I light, will score points but stays lit. I’ve cleaned the rollover relay switch with no effect. Next steps? I don’t have a schematic and it’s my first em to trouble shoot through.

Number sequences are usually handled by a trip or relay bank (located on the underside of the playfield). Which you may have already known based on your stating you already cleaned the rollover relay switch.

What there will normally be is the switch on the playfield, would energize the "Trip" coil on the relay. There will be a normally closed switch that is supposed to open when the relay gets tripped so it doesn't have to trip over and over each time you roll through the 4. This switch could be dirty or out of adjustment. Also, your trip coil could be open. Check ohms across the lugs of one of the other numbers (1-3) and then compare to #4.

FYI, anyone taking on the repair of an EM should be armed with a schematic. Its well worth the $16 or so to order one from Steve at The Pinball Resource.

#287 6 years ago

Thanks cactus. I’ll look at your suggestions. Schematic on order, just looking at what seems simple while I wait for it.

3 weeks later
#288 6 years ago

285D2A23-55EA-4424-97FB-3D1B9D220B3B (resized).jpeg285D2A23-55EA-4424-97FB-3D1B9D220B3B (resized).jpegPulled some plastics from donor. Play field on my wall but plastics up for grabs.

#289 6 years ago

Guess I will join the club. Picked this one up today. Original owners. They didn’t even remove the shipping block in the backbox. Payfield pics to follow. This machine is absolutely a mint find. Best of all only paid 500.00.

4A684531-5DA0-4DDF-9D55-294826327685 (resized).jpeg4A684531-5DA0-4DDF-9D55-294826327685 (resized).jpeg

48F55B34-7B5F-47C9-955B-BDEB98113483 (resized).jpeg48F55B34-7B5F-47C9-955B-BDEB98113483 (resized).jpeg

B95293BB-5CAE-461C-82CE-12A05A6A529F (resized).jpegB95293BB-5CAE-461C-82CE-12A05A6A529F (resized).jpeg

EF713A99-B600-4596-AA13-EA39F2F1CECA (resized).jpegEF713A99-B600-4596-AA13-EA39F2F1CECA (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#290 6 years ago
Quoted from Spanishsilver:

Guess I will join the club. Picked this one up today. Original owners. They didn’t even remove the shipping block in the backbox. Payfield pics to follow. This machine is absolutely a mint find. Best of all only paid 500.00.

Congrats!

No. of plays on the playmeter?

#291 6 years ago

22238 plays.

#292 6 years ago

That's low

#293 6 years ago

I adjusted the drop targets today on Abra Cadabra, just moving the mounts (occasional hangup) and for one game it was great. Since then though, i originally had the issue that 500 points (drop target value) was continually registering from the moment the ball was placed in the shooter lane. Assumed I had a drop target switch stuck, looked, no problems. Dropped the play field back down. 500 points no longer registers on the ball being placed into the shooter lane, but now roll-overs and drops don't register score. they register hits.

I don't have a schematic on hand to trace this through, but i am suspecting something may be incorrect with the Q relay as from memory its common between the drops and rollover registers for points.

All sling and pop bumper scoring is correct and registering.
Machine correctly re-zeros on new ball

1 week later
#294 6 years ago

An someone please post a photo of their upper centre Playfield with the plastics removed. What type of posts are under the back “Y” part? With my current post set I think the lower center is incorrect. I can’t place the ball guide plastic low enough for it to make ball contact.

B5F3A19E-9FF2-4761-B326-3D14EC2766BF (resized).jpegB5F3A19E-9FF2-4761-B326-3D14EC2766BF (resized).jpeg

ABB496E8-FAE2-4301-9DB1-E785F2E40C9A (resized).jpegABB496E8-FAE2-4301-9DB1-E785F2E40C9A (resized).jpeg

#295 6 years ago

Lower playfield plastic held with those 2, two part posts.
DSCN0917 (resized).JPGDSCN0917 (resized).JPG

Gottlieb number A-14487 Split Post Base, and A-14488 Split Post Cap. Abra Ca Dabra needs four of them, two are under the upper left playfield plastic.

#296 6 years ago

Thanks. No incorrect split posts I can see on my Playfield. Will have to get one for the guide. Have correct post for the tip an d under the upper right plastic. Just seems to be the lower y guide that’s wrong

B5F3A19E-9FF2-4761-B326-3D14EC2766BF (resized).jpegB5F3A19E-9FF2-4761-B326-3D14EC2766BF (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#297 6 years ago

Darcy did you have to enlarge the holes on the lower fugues plastic from pbr to fit over the split posts? Much smaller diameter holes than the original

#298 6 years ago

I believe I also had to adjust the post openings. The upper post should hide the enlargement.

1 week later
#299 6 years ago

Would love to join the club. I've had an ACD in the family since 1980 and after many years of sitting and sparingly being played, I'm starting to give this game some time. Plus I have to beat the game's high score held by my brother for far too long - gotta have bragging rights since it sits in my house now!

Cosmetically mine is in decent shape, but mechanically I'm trying to figure out two issues. (1) The start button does nothing. Pushing it in creates zero activity inside the cabinet. Manually triggering the Start Relay cycles the game and I can simulate it fine thereafter. (2) is the infamous 6th ball, which I was figuring out until the start button issue popped up.

I love this game and am glad we've kept it in the family all of these years.

#300 6 years ago

Are there credits on the game? The start button won't start a game without credits > 0 or if the game has been modified for Free Play.

6th ball is usually a broken wire jumper on the snow shoe wiper blades on the Ball count stepper unit (in the back box). The spring loaded wiper shoes should have a jumper that solders to both adjoining wiper blades. Not just the one across the bushings in the bakelite.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

There are 661 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-em-gottlieb-abra-ca-dabra-club-droolers-welcomed/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.