(Topic ID: 83308)

The Official EM Gottlieb Abra-Ca-Dabra Club - Droolers Welcomed!

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 661 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 38 days ago by seshpilot
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20191225_122621_resizeda (resized).jpg
20191225_122852_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_2043 (resized).jpeg
20240307_075637_resized (resized).jpg
20240206_181357_resized (resized).jpg
20240130_095053_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_1608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1609 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2861 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0072 (resized).jpeg
Ball Guide Rail Scuff (resized).jpg
Credit_Wireform (resized).jpg
IMG_5093 (resized).jpg
There are 661 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 14.
#501 5 years ago

Thank you, Wade!

4051667A-6F9C-4A3C-BEC0-65D7B20F7783 (resized).jpeg4051667A-6F9C-4A3C-BEC0-65D7B20F7783 (resized).jpeg
#502 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Thank you, Wade!
[quoted image]

Very nice, Wade is completely out now I assume?

#503 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Very nice, Wade is completely out now I assume?

One, maybe two left....as of last week. Give him a ring and check

1 week later
#504 4 years ago

Any Abra's being considered for sale? Looking... PM with details

2 months later
#505 4 years ago

Collection interests changed and I sold my game. Have a wade Krauss playfield that I won’t be needing. Absolutely gorgeous! $1000 obo shipped with set of schematics.

DCF27C6C-F616-49E2-9444-F740ABEB8372 (resized).jpegDCF27C6C-F616-49E2-9444-F740ABEB8372 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#506 4 years ago

Selling my Abra Ca Dabra. Asking $1750. Located at my home in Las Vegas.
-Ned

SOLD!
Machine - For Sale
Abra Ca Dabra Archived
Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean - “Very nice Abra Ca Dabra. Plays great. Backglass is a new repro. Cabinet has been repainted. Playfield is original and in good condition. My technician has spent many hours keeping ...”
2019-07-27
Las Vegas, NV
1,750 (OBO)
Archived after: 4 days
Viewed: 357 times
Contributed to Pinside

3 months later
#507 4 years ago

I recently joined the ACD club and am in the process of rebuilding the pop bumpers. Figured that while I was at it I'd go ahead and replace the bumper bodies and skirts, since the old ones were pretty dirty. I ordered all new parts from PBR but noticed some color discrepancies.

The first photo shows the bumper bodies side-by-side, with the skirts next to them. The old bumper body and skirt seem to be the same color green, but the new skirt is a much-lighter green than the new body.

The second photo shows the new bumper body, skirt and rollover guide - these are all "green" according to PBR. The rollover guide seems to be the same green as the bumper body, but it is not a match for the skirt.

The third photo shows the old bumper skirt and rollover guide. The old rollover guide doesn't seem to be an exact match for the skirt color.

The final photo shows the two skirts; new one is on the left. It is labelled part #C-10433 C while the old skirt is numbered C-10433 B. Does anyone know what the "B" stands for? My first thought was blue or black, but clearly, it is neither of those colors.

PBR identifies the skirt they sent me as A1218G Green, which they point out is the same as Gottlieb part C-10433. But the green is clearly not the same color. (PBR also has another skirt labelled as "Dark Green" but I spoke with them and they said that color is definitely not a match for the Green Bumper body. The dark green is only for one specific game (I forget which one - not ACD).

Marco also sells the bumper skirt #C-10433 and the green on their website looks darker, but that color may vary. (https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-10433-G)

Has anyone else purchased the green bumper bodies and skirts for their games? Have you found ones that match the original? I'd like to get as close as I can to the original colors.

ACD_BumperBodiySkirt01 (resized).jpgACD_BumperBodiySkirt01 (resized).jpgACD_BumperBodiySkirtRollover_PBR01 (resized).jpgACD_BumperBodiySkirtRollover_PBR01 (resized).jpgACD_BumperBodiySkirt03 (resized).jpgACD_BumperBodiySkirt03 (resized).jpgACD_BumperBodiySkirt02 (resized).jpgACD_BumperBodiySkirt02 (resized).jpg
#508 4 years ago

I recently got an Abra. It is great! Had to sell my JJP Pirates to make room . There are 2 issues, one if which is recent (and I am more concerned about)

- When hitting the bonus drop target while the bonus is at 1k, you are awarded zero points. Have no idea why this started happening. The bonus works fine when it is at 2k+.
- Also the tilt attached to the plumb bob never worked.

If anyone has any ideas on how to go about fixing these, lemme know. The bonus bug is new and befuddling to me. I would like to fix that sooner than later.

5sonxLF+RkigL0qss5kurg (resized).jpg5sonxLF+RkigL0qss5kurg (resized).jpg
#509 4 years ago

Regarding the Green Bumper bodies and skirts: I've taken a look around the internet and found other examples of Abra Ca Dabra games that appear to have the same mismatched green bumper bodies and skirts. The one from Pinball Pimp seems to be a completely restored game. The one from pinrepair also seems to have been recently restored.

ACD owners: can you take a look at your bumper bodies/skirts? If you still have the originals, do the bodies and skirt green colors match? Has anyone found matching colors in new bodies/skirts?

Abra-Ca-Dabra_Pinball Pimp (resized).jpgAbra-Ca-Dabra_Pinball Pimp (resized).jpgabraca5 (from Pinrepair) (resized).jpgabraca5 (from Pinrepair) (resized).jpg
#510 4 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

I recently got an Abra. It is great! Had to sell my JJP Pirates to make room . There are 2 issues, one if which is recent (and I am more concerned about)
- When hitting the bonus drop target while the bonus is at 1k, you are awarded zero points. Have no idea why this started happening. The bonus works fine when it is at 2k+.
- Also the tilt attached to the plumb bob never worked.
If anyone has any ideas on how to go about fixing these, lemme know. The bonus bug is new and befuddling to me. I would like to fix that sooner than later.[quoted image]

For the bonus not scoring 1K check the Motor 2C switch circled below.

Does the T relay operate if you make the plumb bob touch the ring? Try polishing the ring and plumb bob.

Image 2 (resized).pngImage 2 (resized).png
#511 4 years ago
Quoted from ChipS:

Regarding the Green Bumper bodies and skirts: I've taken a look around the internet and found other examples of Abra Ca Dabra games that appear to have the same mismatched green bumper bodies and skirts. The one from Pinball Pimp seems to be a completely restored game. The one from pinrepair also seems to have been recently restored.
ACD owners: can you take a look at your bumper bodies/skirts? If you still have the originals, do the bodies and skirt green colors match? Has anyone found matching colors in new bodies/skirts?[quoted image][quoted image]

These are the original bumper body and skirt - colours match.

IMG_20191113_201033 (resized).jpgIMG_20191113_201033 (resized).jpg
#512 4 years ago

The clear plastic divider that sits between the centre standup target and top rollovers was broken into pieces when I gt my ACD. As I'm too cheap to spend a few $$$ on aplastic ( I spent way too much on the playfield lol) I decided to design a replacement. This is the first part I've designed in 3D with the help of my son who coached me in Fusion360 and printed it out on his 3D printer.

I think it came out well and is much more solid than the original. It's great when your kids can actually teach you something for a change!

ACD_Divider_Plastic v7 (resized).pngACD_Divider_Plastic v7 (resized).pngIMG_20191110_184328 (resized).jpgIMG_20191110_184328 (resized).jpgIMG_20191110_184335 (resized).jpgIMG_20191110_184335 (resized).jpgIMG_20191110_184343 (resized).jpgIMG_20191110_184343 (resized).jpgIMG_20191110_184716 (resized).jpgIMG_20191110_184716 (resized).jpg
#513 4 years ago
Quoted from woz:

These are the original bumper body and skirt - colours match.[quoted image]

Thanks, Woz! Yes, my original ones also match. But they're extremely dirty and I want to replace them. Trying to find out if anyone else has found the new parts that match.

As I mentioned (and show in the photos) the bodies and skirts from PBR are different shades of green. Has anyone purchased the bumper skirt from Marco? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-10433-G Is that green a closer match to the bumper body?

8 months later
#514 3 years ago

I recently had a Pinsider reach out to me with scans from his backglass asking if I could make a translite. Here is the result.
I'll be submitting an order to my printer this week if anyone else is interested, let me know.

263a2d164907272ffedfc30dbc1420116e42dcd1 (resized).png263a2d164907272ffedfc30dbc1420116e42dcd1 (resized).png
1 month later
#515 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I recently had a Pinsider reach out to me with scans from his backglass asking if I could make a translite. Here is the result.
I'll be submitting an order to my printer this week if anyone else is interested, let me know.

Placing a new order this week. PM for details. Also these titles are available:

Dragon
Grand Prix
Laser Ball
Motordome
Magic (Stern)
Trident
Wild Fyre

I can do others if I have a scan to work from.

#516 3 years ago

I miss my Abra Ca Dabra. Anyone have one for sale?

#517 3 years ago

Mine was for sale up here in Vancouver BC forever by the chap who bought it from me - not sure but it may still be - was a beautiful example with a wee bit of cabinet damage on the back bottom edge as is commonly the case

Don’t want to see if it is still listed LOL as it will make me miss it ... again

#518 3 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

Mine was for sale up here in Vancouver BC forever by the chap who bought it from me - not sure but it may still be - was a beautiful example with a wee bit of cabinet damage on the back bottom edge as is commonly the case
Don’t want to see if it is still listed LOL as it will make me miss it ... again

manitouguy It was sold several months ago, pre-covid I think. I hear it's gone to a good home locally and is being enjoyed!

2 months later
#519 3 years ago

Selling my Wade Abra Ca Dabra playfield. I know I'll regret it after I sell it. It's still in the shipping crate.
PM if interested.

1 week later
#520 3 years ago

Bought mine in 2012, restoration in progress !

IMG_2928 (resized).JPGIMG_2928 (resized).JPG

#521 3 years ago

Im back in the club. Finished my playfield swap tonight. Got it all dialed in

62684053056__3617AD88-38D6-4AFE-B8E2-EF225327041C 2 (resized).JPG62684053056__3617AD88-38D6-4AFE-B8E2-EF225327041C 2 (resized).JPGIMG_4893 (resized).JPGIMG_4893 (resized).JPGIMG_4894 (resized).JPGIMG_4894 (resized).JPG
#522 3 years ago

I joined the club last week! One of my grails for sure. Mine was a complete barn find though, and I'd really love to do it full justice and bring it back into respectable shape.

My backglass is actually almost perfect, but the playfield is absolutely trashed. Does anyone have a lead on a repro? I'd even settle for a decent looking playfield someone already swapped out. Doesn't have to be perfect, just better than what I have! I'd like to do a full on restoration on it over the winter.

#523 3 years ago

New pop bumper caps and bodies for abra along with removal of the very curled Mylar rings. Playing great for the first time in a long time

A91252B3-135F-4AD5-8D50-500C30797B15 (resized).jpegA91252B3-135F-4AD5-8D50-500C30797B15 (resized).jpeg
#524 3 years ago

Hi

I am looking for a PIC of the ABRA CA DABRA score card n°383, like this :

(Peter of Inkochnito does not have this card)

Thanks !

2001-3359c6c (resized).jpg2001-3359c6c (resized).jpg

#525 3 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I joined the club last week! One of my grails for sure. Mine was a complete barn find though, and I'd really love to do it full justice and bring it back into respectable shape.
My backglass is actually almost perfect, but the playfield is absolutely trashed. Does anyone have a lead on a repro? I'd even settle for a decent looking playfield someone already swapped out. Doesn't have to be perfect, just better than what I have! I'd like to do a full on restoration on it over the winter.

I have a decent original that I’m replacing with one of Wade’s reproductions. Unfortunately, I probably won’t be swapping them before next summer. If you can’t find another playfield and you have other projects you can work on, I’ll have something available the middle of next year.

It’s the playfield on the right.

IMG_7939 (resized).jpgIMG_7939 (resized).jpg
#526 3 years ago
Quoted from kangourou:

Hi
I am looking for a PIC of the ABRA CA DABRA score card n°383, like this :
(Peter of Inkochnito does not have this card)
Thanks !
[quoted image]

Here ya go, Andrew.

A-16016-3 (resized).pngA-16016-3 (resized).png
#527 3 years ago

The recommended replay thresholds seem awfully high! I’ve only played DirtFlipper’s Abra Ca Dabra and it always seemed like a hard game to score big on.

#528 3 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

I have a decent original that I’m replacing with one of Wade’s reproductions. Unfortunately, I probably won’t be swapping them before next summer. If you can’t find another playfield and you have other projects you can work on, I’ll have something available the middle of next year.

This might actually work out really well for me. I have 3 other projects sitting around, so I could just toss AbraCaDabra on the back burner for a little while. Your playfield looks exactly what I’d be looking for. Thanks for the consideration!

#529 3 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Here ya go, Andrew.[quoted image]

Thanks a lot Jason !

I take note that the recommended replay thresholds seem awfully high !!!

1 week later
#530 3 years ago

Installed the translite from Atari_Daze , great pinsider and quality work.
Looks really good, my backglass was roached.

11A37D50-8018-4784-88C1-1989F5B8BB0F (resized).jpeg11A37D50-8018-4784-88C1-1989F5B8BB0F (resized).jpegC55904D3-34A2-49E5-8305-1A65F0BD3D2D (resized).jpegC55904D3-34A2-49E5-8305-1A65F0BD3D2D (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#531 3 years ago

Restoration finished !

IMG_3251 (resized).jpgIMG_3251 (resized).jpg

#532 3 years ago
Quoted from kangourou:

Restoration finished !
[quoted image]

Beautiful, and looks like original pop bumper skirts too.

#533 3 years ago

Curious, I’ve always avoided putting new repro playfield a in EMs because of the clear coating. Seems like it just wouldn’t play quite the same. I realize sometimes you don’t have a choice but for those of us with decent playfields, I’m curious: how does the Wade pf play compared to an original non-cleared playfield?

#534 3 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Curious, I’ve always avoided putting new repro playfield a in EMs because of the clear coating. Seems like it just wouldn’t play quite the same. I realize sometimes you don’t have a choice but for those of us with decent playfields, I’m curious: how does the Wade pf play compared to an original non-cleared playfield?

I actually have auto clear applied to Wade repro Playfields before installing them in a game. They do not play out of the normal. On the contrary, their play is exceptional and appreciated.

#535 3 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Curious, I’ve always avoided putting new repro playfield a in EMs because of the clear coating.

Gottlieb applied a lacquer clear to their playfields; take a piece of very find black sandpaper to a playfield & lightly sand it will be white, not the color underneath.

I have auto cleared original playfields & one's from Wade, both play very nice. A big issue is the cupping of inserts, clearing them levels out the playfield, so it will play more like it did when it was new; in my opinion the cupped the clear coated playfield will play more like a new one.

FYI- Wade silk screens a lacquer clear to his playfields which seems to be them same as the original Gottlieb process; some people apply a 2K auto clear over his finish for increased durability.

#536 3 years ago

I asked Wade about clearing when I bought my Abra playfield .. he said they don’t need anything extra applied.

#537 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I asked Wade about clearing when I bought my Abra playfield .. he said they don’t need anything extra applied.

X2, he doesn't recommend it.

#538 3 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

Beautiful, and looks like original pop bumper skirts too.

Yes there are !

3 weeks later
#539 3 years ago

I have a weird thing going on with my ACD. Whenever I start a game and Im on the 1,000 bonus, it never scores. When I hit the lit (spot) at the drop target, it doesnt score. The outlanes (bonus) do not score either. When I complete 1-4 and advance to 2,000 bonus, it all works and scores as it should. Where would I look to fix this? Thank you for any help

#540 3 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

I have a weird thing going on with my ACD. Whenever I start a game and Im on the 1,000 bonus, it never scores. When I hit the lit (spot) at the drop target, it doesnt score. The outlanes (bonus) do not score either. When I complete 1-4 and advance to 2,000 bonus, it all works and scores as it should. Where would I look to fix this? Thank you for any help

Clean and adjust the Motor 2C switch

Image 5 (resized).pngImage 5 (resized).png
#541 3 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Clean and adjust the Motor 2C switch

BOOM BABY! that was it. I had cleaned and adjusted this before I posted. I used some of the newer Flexstone from PBR. I find the new ones leave too much dust behind. This time I used a metal file and all is good now. Thank you for the help.

#542 3 years ago

Glad you found the problem. Nice to know my brain still works as well

1 week later
#543 3 years ago

I have another question about this game. The game plays great everything is working except the tilt light in the backbox. The game will tilt just doesnt light the bulb. I put a new bulb in, still nothing. I jumpered the socket to make sure the socket was good and it came on. So my thought is its not getting the signal. I cant seem to find on the schematic where this is coming from. I cleaned and adjusted the hold relay and the tilt relay, still wont come on. Any thought of where I might look? Thank for any help

#544 3 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

I have another question about this game. The game plays great everything is working except the tilt light in the backbox. The game will tilt just doesnt light the bulb. I put a new bulb in, still nothing. I jumpered the socket to make sure the socket was good and it came on. So my thought is its not getting the signal. I cant seem to find on the schematic where this is coming from. I cleaned and adjusted the hold relay and the tilt relay, still wont come on. Any thought of where I might look? Thank for any help

When the machine is in Tilt, power flows into "R" Hold relay on BLK-RD, then out of "R" on SL-WH. Check these points with a voltmeter.

1 month later
#545 3 years ago

I joined the club today. Needs some work but it will play a game. Great backglass.

086A2553-E87E-4DA9-B395-77E2FD40F147 (resized).jpeg086A2553-E87E-4DA9-B395-77E2FD40F147 (resized).jpegA9C1569C-13C8-45A2-971A-4AF54AA31CB8 (resized).jpegA9C1569C-13C8-45A2-971A-4AF54AA31CB8 (resized).jpeg42434B89-35CB-4E0C-8C6E-F7439E024726 (resized).jpeg42434B89-35CB-4E0C-8C6E-F7439E024726 (resized).jpegC518C8E3-5AA8-46FD-AA4D-9A904E429C25 (resized).jpegC518C8E3-5AA8-46FD-AA4D-9A904E429C25 (resized).jpeg
#546 3 years ago
Quoted from schwism:

I joined the club today. Needs some work but it will play a game. Great backglass.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If you ever want a repaint, I just did one for a buddy in Yukon OK. Will deliver tomorrow

20200112_122357_resized (resized).jpg20200112_122357_resized (resized).jpg
#547 3 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

If you ever want a repaint, I just did one for a buddy in Yukon OK. Will deliver tomorrow[quoted image]

Yes, I talked to him about it. Once I get it cleaned and gone over I may take you up on it. Backglass is great and the playfield is decent so the cabinet is definitely the weakest link.

2 weeks later
#548 3 years ago

Joined the club when this one delivered last week. At some point this machine was modified to add a ball instead of replay. The seller, a flipper, claims they didn't realize that the machine had been modified so it wasn't advertised as such. Initially, I was pretty steamed, but the add a ball feature is growing on me. Hopefully it won't impact my ability to sell if I ever decide to rotate it out of the lineup.

I had to fix an issue with the pop bumpers and in the process of fixing that I introduced an issue with the drop target bonus lights. The lights were working previously. The 500/bonus scoring for drop targets are still working so likely just an issue with the lights that I will have to figure out when the schematic arrives, provided the modifications haven't rendered the schematic useless.

20210325_173254 (resized).jpg20210325_173254 (resized).jpg20210325_173314 (resized).jpg20210325_173314 (resized).jpg20210326_175632 (resized).jpg20210326_175632 (resized).jpg20210326_175659 (resized).jpg20210326_175659 (resized).jpg
#549 3 years ago

Interesting, are replay awards are turned into "inhibit add ball count unit" (extra ball) awards? How is it communicated to the player? Or is it more of a Team One or Wizard approach?

#550 3 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

Interesting, are replay awards are turned into "inhibit add ball count unit" (extra ball) awards? How is it communicated to the player? Or is it more of a Team One or Wizard approach?

I don’t have the schematic yet, so I can’t say exactly what was modified to make it an add a ball. At 50,000 points the knocker pops. You are then given your added ball before the machine advances to the next counted ball. So, if you are on ball 3 and hit 50k, the next ball that is kicked out does not advance the lit ball on the back glass. It stays as ball 3. The same is true at 150k. Knocker pops and you replay the current ball. If you get the bonus to 5000 and drop all targets, Special is lit. Hitting the center target awards the Special, which is an extra ball rather than another game. I am not certain, but I think the added ball for hitting the Special is awarded at the end of the game rather than a replay of the current ball. I can open it up and manually advance to verify.

The machine is currently set as 5 ball and set up to accept coins. I kind of liked the idea of dropping quarters so I left it as is. I tried to adjust to 5 plays for a quarter and the machine would register the credits, but I wouldn’t come off Tilt. Not sure if it would play on 3 ball or set up as free play. I didn’t really want to mess around much until my schematic arrives. Even then, I am not the most proficient at reading schematics yet, but hope I will be able to figure it out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
$ 12.00
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

There are 661 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-em-gottlieb-abra-ca-dabra-club-droolers-welcomed/page/11?hl=sea_wolf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.