(Topic ID: 83308)

The Official EM Gottlieb Abra-Ca-Dabra Club - Droolers Welcomed!

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 661 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 38 days ago by seshpilot
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20191225_122621_resizeda (resized).jpg
20191225_122852_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_2043 (resized).jpeg
20240307_075637_resized (resized).jpg
20240206_181357_resized (resized).jpg
20240130_095053_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_1608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1609 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2861 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0072 (resized).jpeg
Ball Guide Rail Scuff (resized).jpg
Credit_Wireform (resized).jpg
IMG_5093 (resized).jpg
There are 661 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 14.
#451 5 years ago
Quoted from ckcsm:

Looks like you doing a good job, if any pictures are needed I'm someone can post them.
Wade's playfields are nice to work with.

I should be good, this is my 8th or 9th swap. And i laid out all new sockets and braid before I started, everything falls into place for me.

I do like to predrill the post holes on the topside of the pf, the wood is just so hard.

#452 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

More Abra fun. Maybe I should have taken pictures?
[quoted image]

You should be able to do this with your eyes closed by now.

#453 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

And i laid out all new sockets

I put all new light sockets in my swaps also; who wants to deal with flickering lights after all that work.

#454 5 years ago

Hey anybody looking to order their sockets... Abra has 8 1/2 inch sockets where two solder tabs are needed. PBR no stock em. I have found some on http://www.surplussales.com/Bulbs-Incan-Panel/LampSockets.html, T 3-1/4 Bayonet Lamp Socket, it equates to the 1/2 inch bracket

Here's a pic of them installed as well.

(Ive only got 4 Abra swaps to do )

20190221_131422_resized (resized).jpg20190221_131422_resized (resized).jpgpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#455 5 years ago

My Sample 01003 S:DSC04181 (resized).JPGDSC04181 (resized).JPG

DSC04181 (resized).JPGDSC04181 (resized).JPG
#456 5 years ago

My Sample 01003 S:DSC04181 (resized).JPGDSC04181 (resized).JPG

#457 5 years ago
Quoted from TICTAC:

My Sample 01003 S:[quoted image]

pretty cool, a lot of hit or miss on the black line

#458 5 years ago

Mine is serial number 4571 and is missing the key line segment.

I suspect like someone above mentioned that screen got damaged halfway through the run. No biggie.

#459 5 years ago

My Abra day, needed to modify a plastic to fit behind the target

20190224_175905_resized (resized).jpg20190224_175905_resized (resized).jpg20190224_193235_resized (resized).jpg20190224_193235_resized (resized).jpg
#460 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

My Abra day, needed to modify a plastic to fit behind the target
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice work, Ken. Will one of these be at TPF?

#461 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Nice work, Ken. Will one of these be at TPF?

yes if i have enough time, this one is for a buddy.

1 week later
#462 5 years ago

You guys r making me jealous w the new play fields..me...I finally got a few new plastics in the mail from the land down under..

5C5A9000-B79E-4ACE-A55A-0D0056C9C98B (resized).jpeg5C5A9000-B79E-4ACE-A55A-0D0056C9C98B (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#463 5 years ago

Looking for used Playfield Plastics, especially the big target plastic on the upper right.
Also looking for the 2 slings.

Would take the full set if you have one. Delivery to Allentown or Shipping to NY would be great.

#464 5 years ago
Quoted from b0bgagn0n:

Looking for used Playfield Plastics, especially the big target plastic on the upper right.
Would take the full set if you have one. Delivery to Allentown or Shipping to NY would be great.

Good luck with the used slings. They're always broken! As posted above, you can buy the partial set from Down Under. I think they might even sell just the slings if you ask them.

#465 5 years ago
Quoted from b0bgagn0n:

Ive got 2 or three of those and will be going to Allentown, send me a pm

#466 5 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

You guys r making me jealous w the new play fields..me...I finally got a few new plastics in the mail from the land down under..
[quoted image]

And why does Rescue provide the ball guide that is on the upper right, underneath the drop bank plastic? Ive been meaning to ask him

#467 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

And why does Rescue provide the ball guide that is on the upper right, underneath the drop bank plastic? Ive been meaning to ask him

E-mailed them regarding the clear plastic under the upper right playfield plastic (a few years ago). They wrote, that the ball rarely even touches that guide. Mine was yellowed, so I just polished it heavily. It looked better, a new one would of made everything look the same. It is a clear piece with only the part number on it.

#468 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

E-mailed them regarding the clear plastic under the upper right playfield plastic (a few years ago). They wrote, that the ball rarely even touches that guide. Mine was yellowed, so I just polished it heavily. It looked better, a new one would of made everything look the same. It is a clear piece with only the part number on it.

ie they missed it in the first go around... I have a buddy that has a nice laser cutter, I should bet him to make up a dozen for us.

#469 5 years ago

The big 5000 insert in the middle of my abra is badly cracked

Long shot but... does anyone with a trash playfield would be willing to sell me this specific insert?

#470 5 years ago
Quoted from b0bgagn0n:

The big 5000 insert in the middle of my abra is badly cracked
Long shot but... does anyone with a trash playfield would be willing to sell me this specific insert?

yes, in the midst of a swap now. Old pf is a little "ratty", I just love the international shipping thou.

5000 (resized).png5000 (resized).png
#471 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

ie they missed it in the first go around... I have a buddy that has a nice laser cutter, I should bet him to make up a dozen for us.

Or the game they used as a prototype guide did not have one on it.

That lower plastic on the top centre guide makes a bit of difference in game play. When it is installed instead of rubber rings the ball can be ricocheted off the drop target area, then the ball will travel up through the lane 2 or 3 fairly easily.

#472 5 years ago

Which guide are you guys talking about? My game is in pieces so I can't refer to it . I'm thinking about ordering a set of plastics....

#473 5 years ago

Oh man ... guys now you are going to make me go look at mine!!

Warren you are due to come over for a few beers and pinball too FYI!!

#474 5 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

Oh man ... guys now you are going to make me go look at mine!!
Warren you are due to come over for a few beers and pinball too FYI!!

I was just thinking the same lol!

#475 5 years ago

Just finished a swap and restoration. Wade's work is incredible as always. Almost don't want to play the game! One thing of note, Ken modified that upper plastic for the Target backing plate, I found a workaround was just to elevate that Plastic with a washer.

20190323_115814 (resized).jpg20190323_115814 (resized).jpg20190323_183439 (resized).jpg20190323_183439 (resized).jpg
#476 5 years ago

That looks absolutely beautiful, well done to both you and Wade.

#477 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

That looks absolutely beautiful, well done to both you and Wade.

Thank you. Sadly, this one will be leaving the stable pretty soon. One of my favorite games I will have to hunt for another one though they are getting pretty hard to find these days. Here are a few more Glamour Shots. Try to keep it close to original a few replated and reproduction parts from PBR Etc.

20190325_091205 (resized).jpg20190325_091205 (resized).jpg20190325_091324 (resized).jpg20190325_091324 (resized).jpg20190325_091427 (resized).jpg20190325_091427 (resized).jpg20190325_091334 (resized).jpg20190325_091334 (resized).jpg20190325_091356 (resized).jpg20190325_091356 (resized).jpg20190325_091412 (resized).jpg20190325_091412 (resized).jpg20190325_091438 (resized).jpg20190325_091438 (resized).jpg
#478 5 years ago

pinhead52 did you order new light tubes from PBR? I'm missing one and can't find a part # in the catalog. TBH the ones I do have are discolored and slightly damaged so will probably replace them all.

Great work on the swap - can't wait to get to mine now once my home renos are done.

#479 5 years ago
Quoted from woz:

pinhead52 did you order new light tubes from PBR? I'm missing one and can't find a part # in the catalog. TBH the ones I do have are discolored and slightly damaged so will probably replace them all.
Great work on the swap - can't wait to get to mine now once my home renos are done.

Nope, just reused the ones I had. If PBR doesnt have them (Im guessing not) there's a Kevin Redzinski on facebook that has lot of parts for sale. Or get some plastic pvc pipe if you can find the right diameter.

#480 5 years ago
Quoted from woz:

There is a hobby product called 'Plastruct'. They have various size plastic tubing for the hobby builder. Check out a large Hobby shop or Model train store.

#481 5 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll let you know what I get.

#482 5 years ago
Quoted from woz:

I used a built in vacuum pvc tube. $7 for an 8' length. Exact same diameter and I should be able to get about 75 pieces. Lol. No one I know will be needing light tubes for a while.

#483 5 years ago
Quoted from vonclod:

I used a built in vacuum pvc tube. $7 for an 8' length. Exact same diameter and I should be able to get about 75 pieces. Lol. No one I know will be needing light tubes for a while.

vonclod where did you get the tubing from?

#484 5 years ago
Quoted from woz:

vonclod where did you get the tubing from?

Home Depot

#485 5 years ago

Such a wonderful "breakthru" demands pictures!

#486 5 years ago

Haven't installed them yet but here's a couple of side by side original and pvc cut.

20190404_174128 (resized).jpg20190404_174128 (resized).jpg20190404_174143 (resized).jpg20190404_174143 (resized).jpg
#487 5 years ago

vonclod the shields I need are 0.75" OD and fit over each drop target lamp...those look a bit big lol. The ones in your pic look like they are for the backbox Game Over, Tilt lamp?

#488 5 years ago

Is there anywhere to buy a complete AS Relay to do quick/easy swap with one of mine not working right?

Does anyone sell a complete rebuild kit for them?

#489 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Is there anywhere to buy a complete AS Relay to do quick/easy swap with one of mine not working right?

You can ask around try the parts thread here on pinside. Many of these as relays are different from game to game. Unless it's directly from an Abra it's probably different. I want rewired one myself when I couldn't find one for another game. They can be very finicky to get working correctly. Other threads have dealt with these issues.

#490 5 years ago
Quoted from woz:

vonclod the shields I need are 0.75" OD and fit over each drop target lamp...those look a bit big lol. The ones in your pic look like they are for the backbox Game Over, Tilt lamp?

Clearly you guys are talking about two different things. Later games like the Hulk in his picture, use those larger diameter cardboard sections of tubing to isolate the light bulbs in the back box as you mentioned. Yes, the light tubes on the play field behind the drop targets are much smaller diameter. I found I was able to use mine but I had to sand down the base a bit to get them to fit back in especially on Wade playfields the tolerances are quite close.

#491 5 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Ah. My bad. The post above didn't specify which light tube and since I just finished cutting my backbox ones I figured it was the same. So yes; mine are the 2" inside diameter used in the backbox of many Gottlieb games. Perhaps others as well.

#492 5 years ago

Dave,

PBR has been the best source. They never sold a kit. And now don’t have all of the parts anymore. That said, you should be able to clean and fiddle with what you have to make it work, short of something being broken. Even with all new parts it’s not a given that it will function properly as there is adjustment you need to manage.

#493 5 years ago
Quoted from vonclod:

Ah. My bad. The post above didn't specify which light tube and since I just finished cutting my backbox ones I figured it was the same. So yes; mine are the 2" inside diameter used in the backbox of many Gottlieb games. Perhaps others as well.

20190405_170218 (resized).jpg20190405_170218 (resized).jpg20190405_170222 (resized).jpg20190405_170222 (resized).jpg
#494 5 years ago

Warren - I’ll check my parts box
Btw Buccaneer is currently set up - if you have a hankering to play a few games let me know

#495 5 years ago

Ive got two abras im currently working on and just disassembled, clean, reassembled one. If yer desperate you could send me your AS, I'll service and send back. $7.90 small box shipping each way and maybe 20 for the tuneup

#496 5 years ago

Take him up on it Dave.

Quoted from pinhead52:

Ive got two abras im currently working on and just disassembled, clean, reassembled one. If yer desperate you could send me your AS, I'll service and send back. $7.90 small box shipping each way and maybe 20 for the tuneup

#497 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Take him up on it Dave.

Ships out Monday! Such a great club to be a part of, here.

#498 5 years ago

Question of the day... in game over if got two flasher bulbs behind the eyes as they should be. But as they flash the rest of the head GI dims a little. Is that normal or should I go chase a jones plug or other flaky connection?

#499 5 years ago

Not normal

#500 5 years ago

oki using a long heavy duty jumper I attached to fuse block and then to the chassis of the ball count unit, same same. If I attach to the solder tab of the 6th popsition on ball count unit the dimming is greatly reduced. attaching to the spring loaded shoe, still dimming. cleaned up the rivet, pressing on the shoe with jumper attached, still dimming. forgot to check rivet to solder tab, thats probably the issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
$ 12.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 661 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-em-gottlieb-abra-ca-dabra-club-droolers-welcomed/page/10?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.