(Topic ID: 83308)

The Official EM Gottlieb Abra-Ca-Dabra Club - Droolers Welcomed!

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 661 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 37 days ago by seshpilot
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20191225_122621_resizeda (resized).jpg
20191225_122852_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_2043 (resized).jpeg
20240307_075637_resized (resized).jpg
20240206_181357_resized (resized).jpg
20240130_095053_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_1608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1609 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2861 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0072 (resized).jpeg
Ball Guide Rail Scuff (resized).jpg
Credit_Wireform (resized).jpg
IMG_5093 (resized).jpg
There are 661 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 14.
#1 10 years ago

Its time has come.

Seems like everyone currently owns, wants to own, or has owned this title so you might as well join the club

Talk about anything you want regarding this title and show us your project or finished machine pictures past or present.

Ken

#2 10 years ago

Yup, Good player, and theme IMO (some think the artwork too satanic!?) I got really good at back handing the shots to the upper rollovers and beat the game too often (though very satisfying) Mine was nice except I had to do some work where it had a security hasp at one time. I needed the room and had a good offer, though it is still missed......here's a few pics.

P7290353.JPGP7290353.JPG
P7290350.JPGP7290350.JPG

P7290349.JPGP7290349.JPG P8030361.JPGP8030361.JPG
#3 10 years ago

Ok, I'll play.

Abra is currently in my top five favorite 70's - all Gottlieb's of course. After an eight year absence and a 7 hr. drive to Minnesota to re-claim it, it is back to stay this time.

Abra Ca Dabra 001.JPGAbra Ca Dabra 001.JPG
Abra Ca Dabra 014.JPGAbra Ca Dabra 014.JPG
Abra Ca Dabra 015.JPGAbra Ca Dabra 015.JPG
Abra Ca Dabra 016.JPGAbra Ca Dabra 016.JPG
Abra Ca Dabra 024.JPGAbra Ca Dabra 024.JPG
Abra Ca Dabra 025.JPGAbra Ca Dabra 025.JPG

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Yup, Good player, and theme IMO (some think the artwork too satanic!?)

I like to tell people the art is an early version of "Lord of the Rings". Got your Good Wizard, Evil Wizard, Orc, Demon, and a beautiful girl with mystical powers maybe? Sounds like the makings of a good story to me.

Could also be passed of as an early Dungeons & Dragons Pin, just missing the Dungeons & Dragons!

Ken

#5 10 years ago

I've got a Team one, can I join?

#6 10 years ago

Picked up my Abra at the start of the year. I've been looking for one for years and this game was less than 5 minutes drive from my house. Nice BG but the play field needs some work.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

I've got a Team one, can I join?

Give us a comparison of likes/dislikes/Gameplay between Team One and ACD CactusJack and you are in like Flynn!

Ken

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Give us a comparison of likes/dislikes/Gameplay between Team One and ACD CactusJack and you are in like Flynn!
Ken

That's going to be hard to do since it is buried with a number of other EMs. When I had it set up, It was not the greatest layout as I remember. I am just not a fan of Add-A-Balls. But, its not your normal "Balls to Play" AAB. Those red flags across the backglass are actually "extra balls" that you have to play off before the "Balls to Play" can advance. And, of course, instead of the 1-4 duplicated down on the flipper feed lanes it has the 1-6 sequence feature. It is also missing the Match feature due to the 100,000-900,000 unit lighting. I am thinking it was the AAB aspect that totally turned me off of it. It was the first and only AAB I have ever owned other than a Diamond Jack still awaiting a refurb. which I am in no hurry to do.

Oddly enough, back in its day, I had never seen or played an ACD until I visited Cedar Point amusement park (in the late 80's) and they still had one on the floor. Of course, there, they don't award replays either (I believe its an Extra Ball territory) so I don't remember it going on my Radar then either. For whatever reason, the art wasn't one of the most attractive works of my all time Favorite Artist (GM). Then, more recently, I gave it another chance at PHOF and found at least the play was appealing to me. Mostly due to the fact I am a Huge Drop Target fan. But also since it has the added "Bonus Value" feature missing from TO. Certainly being a replay rule set helps too!

Damn! Now I want an ACD too...........

#9 10 years ago

Personally I was sold on ACD way before I bought one and still have not played it (as far as I remember) to this day! What sold me is the playfield Layout and the Artwork.

I was a kid playing Dungeons & Dragons back in the mid 70's so this theme is a natural for me.

Sure I own one but will not be able to get to it until later in the year when we move. The wait is not a problem though as it is in good hands with someone who really enjoys the game, right Dan?.

Ken

#10 10 years ago

I've had four Abras. The first one I bought back in 1995 (along with a Drop A Card), and it was in decent condition (the DaC was very nice). I can't recall *why* I chose to sell it (and the DaC!), but I did. Well, I do recall actually. I bought another dozen games in 1996, so had to start cutting games loose.

I soon after realized the mistake I'd made in letting go of the Abra, and began a quest to replace it. Took three more Abras before finally getting a nice one again, and that one has stayed ever since. Probably will be the last title to leave too.

This one has 50,000-ish plays on the meter, and is nice enough all-around original (except for the bottom two plastics). I still see Abras pop up, but haven't found an upgrade yet (not really looking though either).

The thing I like about the game is that there are multiple ways to approach winning (drops, rollovers, bonus, score), a skill shot is required to reset the drops (not just an automatic reset), there are two ways to get the 1-4 sequence (so not just a plunger shot), everything can be done from flipper shots, and it has a progressive strategy. The flow is great, it's possible to make great ball saves, and the long distance drop target shots are very satisfying.

I've long thought it's been an underappreciated game, overshadowed by the other great '75 titles (El D., Atlantis), and the values have stayed low.

Downsides are the half-moon credit unit, and the use of particle board for the back of the cab. (So glad Gottlieb switched back to plywood a year or so later.)

As far as a value for the money type of game, I think Abra is a good example. Great player, not so expensive. (Yet.)

2014Mar08 004.JPG2014Mar08 004.JPG
2014Mar08 005.JPG2014Mar08 005.JPG
2014Mar08 006.JPG2014Mar08 006.JPG

#11 10 years ago

Anyone know where you can find the bottom 2 plastics? Mine also adds a 6th ball when game over. Any idea on how to fix it? Thanks!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from rushfan:

Anyone know where you can find the bottom 2 plastics?

http://www.pinballrescue.net/Plastics_Abra_Ca_Dabra.html

There is a partial set too but I believe it does not include the lower plastics you are looking for.

Ken

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

http://www.pinballrescue.net/Plastics_Abra_Ca_Dabra.html
There is a partial set too but I believe it does not include the lower plastics you are looking for.
Ken

The lower playfield plastics are available as a pair, separately from the other plastics.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from rushfan:

Anyone know where you can find the bottom 2 plastics? Mine also adds a 6th ball when game over. Any idea on how to fix it? Thanks!

Here are 2 possible answers.
Your ball count unit is out of adjustment. Or in my case, the last wire on the unit has broken off.

#15 10 years ago

One of the coolest backglasses IMO. Would love to add one to my set sometime in the future. The game is deceptively difficult to score high.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Personally I was sold on ACD way before I bought one and still have not played it (as far as I remember) to this day! What sold me is the playfield Layout and the Artwork.
I was a kid playing Dungeons & Dragons back in the mid 70's so this theme is a natural for me.
Sure I own one but will not be able to get to it until later in the year when we move. The wait is not a problem though as it is in good hands with someone who really enjoys the game, right Dan?.
Ken

It awaits your arrival! I hate to see it go but I needed the money to purchase the North Star that I will have paid off at the end of this month. My friend is happy it is not leaving until summer because it is the only game he likes in my collection. I like Abra-Ca-Dabra far better than Atlantis. I have only played Solar City and Target Alpha so I can't speak for El Dorado. As much as I like 70's drop target games....I like the 2 inch flipper 60's games with roll overs better. They work better for me. I plan to have a nice full 1963-1967 wedge collection in the near future. That is a total of 15 games from that era.

#17 10 years ago

I'm in the club!!! First game I ever bought and it is a keeper, even after ten years. It sits next to my other favorite e.m., quick draw. I am enjoying the stories about the game. Keep em comin!!

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

It awaits your arrival! I hate to see it go but I needed the money to purchase the North Star that I will have paid off at the end of this month. My friend is happy it is not leaving until summer because it is the only game he likes in my collection. I like Abra-Ca-Dabra far better than Atlantis. I have only played Solar City and Target Alpha so I can't speak for El Dorado. As much as I like 70's drop target games....I like the 2 inch flipper 60's games with roll overs better. They work better for me. I plan to have a nice full 1963-1967 wedge collection in the near future. That is a total of 15 games from that era.

Rat,

Give us a report on the North Star game play after you've played it awhile - I've been looking for that game with no luck yet but it seems to be well liked. The artwork is fantastic. I will get one some day.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from BBC:

I'm in the club!!! First game I ever bought and it is a keeper, even after ten years. It sits next to my other favorite e.m., quick draw. I am enjoying the stories about the game. Keep em comin!!

If you've had it that long Brian it must be a good game!

#20 10 years ago

Does Adam K still have his? I know who he got it from and that one was exceptionally nice. It was for sale at last year's Allentown show, and the previous owner got an awesome deal on it. Wish I'd have seen it earlier.

#21 10 years ago

When looking at Abras, check the back panel on the cab. If they've been stored on end, the particle board likes to wick up moisture, which can lead to disintegration.

AbraCab 003.jpgAbraCab 003.jpg

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

When looking at Abras, check the back panel on the cab. If they've been stored on end, the particle board likes to wick up moisture, which can lead to disintegration.

AbraCab 003.jpg 159 KB

I understand that MDF is easier to router into. But for a back panel, it does not seem a good idea. The rear panel made from MDF could not have saved a ton of money on production. The part I get is that if you are making 15,000 machines a year and saving say $3.00 each, by not using plywood on each one, that adds up. In the '70's $45,000 was a good amount of money. Also I am sure that when these pins were new, there were only designed to last 4 to 5 years of hard use. IMHO.

#24 10 years ago

Another game that have looked for but not got lucky. Never played it which is good because I can tell myself I prefer a lot of other games!

#25 10 years ago

pinball 2013 010-896.JPGpinball 2013 010-896.JPG First time that I set up the ACD. Played it for awhile and thought 'gee what an easy game'. I was getting scores 180,000 to 220,000 points. The game was kicking out 6 balls a game. The sixth ball was dead. Looked more into the game and found a wire off on the ball count unit. There were a few others wires that had come off as well. The game had the scoring set to 3 balls and playing 5 balls a game. It is working fine now, cleaned up, and all waxed up.

#26 10 years ago

abra green leds.JPGabra green leds.JPG

#27 10 years ago

Sample game.

2013-09-10 17.34.33.jpg2013-09-10 17.34.33.jpg

1 month later
#28 10 years ago

I have both Team one and Abra ca daba
ACD is on my top 5 wedgehead list
BUT...... I have been playing team one for a few months now and I must say it plays better. the rules are a bit different and it is a bit harder. the art is lacking but is is a great player even as a AAB

now that the weather is warmer i put all the bg back into the machines that are in the garage

20140424_161059.jpg20140424_161059.jpg 20140424_161123.jpg20140424_161123.jpg 20140424_161238.jpg20140424_161238.jpg all.jpgall.jpg
#29 10 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

the art is lacking but is is a great player even as a AAB

I resemble that remark (the AAB part)! I wish they had made a true AAB version of "Abra Ca Dabra". Just don't like the theme and artwork of "Team One"/"Kicker".

#30 10 years ago

I don't hate AAB just like replay more. I think there was some good ones ship ahoy was one I liked very much

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I don't hate AAB just like replay more. I think there was some good ones ship ahoy was one I liked very much</blockquote

I would have loved to have seen AAB versions of "North Star", "Sky-Line", "Top Card" and "Atlantis". I would have named them "Pole Star", "Sky-High", "Royal Pair" (which does of course exist), and "Lost City".

#32 10 years ago

AAB North Star could have been named "North Pole" or "Antarctica"

1 month later
#33 9 years ago

I'm in! Just took delivery of my Abra Ca Dabra this past weekend on a deal that started over a year ago. No complaints though as the seller is a good guy and membership only cost me $200. The hardest part was having to look at everyone else's photos on this thread in the meantime!

My game will need a bunch of work including a probable cabinet repaint, but has great potential. I'm glad I bought a backglass repro from Ron Webb last year as he's now sold out of the ACDs.

- Tim

#34 9 years ago

Congrat's Tuna_Delight, enjoy it. I will be "drooling" at this thread and everyone one that pops up in the Show Us your EM's thread until I can find myself one.

Would love to see some before and after shots when you get it all cleaned up.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I'm in! Just took delivery of my Abra Ca Dabra this past weekend on a deal that started over a year ago.

Congrats Tim!

Still waiting on mine but it won't be for over a year, more like 6 months.

Ken

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I'm in! Just took delivery of my Abra Ca Dabra this past weekend on a deal that started over a year ago. No complaints though as the seller is a good guy and membership only cost me $200. The hardest part was having to look at everyone else's photos on this thread in the meantime!
My game will need a bunch of work including a probable cabinet repaint, but has great potential. I'm glad I bought a backglass repro from Ron Webb last year as he's now sold out of the ACDs.
- Tim

Congrats Tim!

Enjoy your Abra! I know I do mine.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I have both Team one and Abra ca daba
ACD is on my top 5 wedgehead list
BUT...... I have been playing team one for a few months now and I must say it plays better. the rules are a bit different and it is a bit harder. the art is lacking but is is a great player even as a AAB
now that the weather is warmer i put all the bg back into the machines that are in the garage

Great Garage collection Boilerman. I do the same thing with my Garage dwellers, Back glass out in November and usually back in come April.
I agree, I like the Game play of Team One better than ACD/
Anyways just wanted to give you props on the Garage gang.

Brian Lenker
Madison hts MI

20140424_161238.jpg 199 KB

20140424_161123.jpg 262 KB

20140424_161059.jpg 275 KB

all.jpg 255 KB

#38 9 years ago

mine in action

#39 9 years ago

Not a member, but I did use ACD in a quick sketch I threw together last year. Does that count?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#40 9 years ago

It's been my avatar for the past year or so since I fell in love with the game. Probably my favorite em, or very close.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

It's been my Avatar for the past year or so since I fell in love with the game. Probably my favorite em, or very close.

That's kind of what we all thought.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

It's been my Avatar for the past year or so since I fell in love with the game. Probably my favorite em, or very close.

I think it makes a really cool Avatar too.

#43 9 years ago

Love my AbrCaDabra! And I also have the 6th ball kick out problem.....told the kids the evil Wizard was doing it!

#44 9 years ago

I had reserved the last available repro backglass, however upon packing it for shipping...it broke! Mines in great shape except for some BG flaking...sadly it might be a long while to replace it.

I love how the set of eyes seem to be staring at the girls breasts...great artwork on this one.

#45 9 years ago

here is one I just got that I thought I would try and save, the only issue is the guts of the head are missing.
I pulled the inserts to test clean the PF

20140615_074912.jpg20140615_074912.jpg

#46 9 years ago

wow!! that is one 'wicked' looking abra ... is that dirt or some type of smoke / fire residue??

#47 9 years ago

smoke damage... this was the last of 4 from a house fire. this was also incomplete the others were complete
atlantis, king pin and el dorado were all restored.
they all started out like this or even worse

DSC_0449.JPGDSC_0449.JPG 20131009_203945.jpg20131009_203945.jpg 20131004_180549.jpg20131004_180549.jpg
#48 9 years ago

aaghhh yes, that other atlantis ... the pain, the envy .. .. i still haven't found a nice one !!!

someday !

well hope you find what you need for your abra ..

mine, although not smoke damaged, did nearly burn down the house of the guy i bought it from when some helpers went to pick it up (they went out to the van to get ready to load it ... and smoke started coming out of the basement from a space shuttle beside it that they had played but had somehow shorted!!! i guess the wizard wasn't too happy about having to leave!)

my abra came with a mismatched serial on body and head too

post pics as you progress

cheers, Ron

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

smoke damage... this was the last of 4 from a house fire. this was also incomplete the others were complete
Atlantis, king pin and el dorado were all restored.
they all started out like this or even worse

DSC_0449.JPG 172 KB
20131009_203945.jpg 211 KB

20131004_180549.jpg 194 KB

Noble work on your part. Hope you can make it to Vic's on the 21st.

#50 9 years ago

sorry jr can make it , but will try for the next one.

here is the pf after it got cleaned

20140617_232648.jpg20140617_232648.jpg 20140617_232637.jpg20140617_232637.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 661 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-em-gottlieb-abra-ca-dabra-club-droolers-welcomed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.