272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

One question - Perhaps one you software devs in the crowd can explain how the algorithm thinks pencils are related to eggs?

It's more than likely based on correlation with the current orders going on. If a lot of people are buying eggs and pencils (like to homeschool their kids), then when you add eggs to your cart it thinks "hey, maybe this guy wants pencils too!".

#301 4 years ago
Quoted from Legacy:

In case I am missing something here, can somebody explain to me how trying to lock down 40 million people in California is going to work? First, you would need 100 percent participation and we know that simply is not possible. How many rebels are in there? 1 percent only is 400,000 people not abiding by the lock down. Then they tell everyone, "go ahead and stay inside but you can run down to the grocery store to get food" where millions of other people are doing the same thing. I'm not buying it as a viable strategy at all.

Try not looking at it as having to be all or nothing. If you *need* to go to the store, do it quickly and efficiently. Otherwise cut out any unnecessary exposure you can. For different people that will mean different things.

People still have to get stuff done. Remember we are just trying to slow it down.

Any choice you can make to reduce the transmission or exposure is a choice you've made toward the goal.

#594 4 years ago

I just got back from running an errand and I haven't left our property in 7 days prior to today. It doesn't seem like people are staying home? Even with restaurants and bars closed inside here, there were a TON of people out today.

There have been a few posts on nextdoor from people who can't find pet food already.

My family is about to begin another stretch of staying in as much as possible. I hope more people do.

#1801 4 years ago

Just saw that McDonald's in the UK is closing all of their stores today.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51999604

#2265 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Ohio started their two week lockdown at midnight last night. On my way home from work this morning there were cars out the ass on the roads. So much for Ohio's lockdown I guess. Businesses are thumbing their noses at the governors lockdown looks like.

It's a shame. This is a case where human hubris is going to do so much real damage.

#2460 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I lost the first person I know today that died from the Virus in NY.
Guys in New York, should you seriously think about heading out of town somewhere safer
with Friends and Family?

Sorry to hear that Art.

#2816 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

As the Bill moves to the house, we have one dissenting opinion, from a Now independent.
This represents something we should all remember in the future.
"This bipartisan deal is a raw deal for the people," Amash tweeted. "It does far too little for those who need the most help, while providing hundreds of billions in corporate welfare, massively growing government, inhibiting economic adaptation, and widening the gap between the rich and the poor."

Unfortunately this feels like one of the oldest tricks in the book. Wait until the public are desperate, and then we will allow anything to pass just for our little piece.

I don't understand why this can't be broken out into smaller bills. One bill specifically for the money to the people, then argue over the business end in a separate bill.

Side note, I laughed at Levi's joke. In this thread you can tell who would hate anthony jeselnik and who wouldn't.

#3438 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

A 3 week stay at home order for all Americans similar to what Britian, India, and other countries are doing. Those 3 weeks would suck staying home but instead we are now faced with this lasting for at least another 1-3 months here in the US and far more cases / deaths.

Yeah it's super frustrating. I've left our property once in the past 12 days. I've been watching my daughter cry because she can't play with her friends.

Yet there are still people that think it's a joke. So thanks to them for turning our 2-3 week exercise into 2-3 months.

#3545 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

NSFW because of language.
A good friend of mine has a 7 year old that's not allowed to have friends over. He keeps asking dad why his friends get to play outside together.

Yeah my 11 year old daughter had a hard time yesterday when she saw her two friends riding bikes together and we wouldn't let her go out. One of the girl's mom is a nurse at the hospital. Luckily my daughter is a good kid and understands, but it didn't make it easier.

#4165 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

We’ve been making our own pizzas instead of ordering like we usually would...with kids home 24/7, no school, sports practices etc lots of time to fill...lots, lots, oh god there is a lot of time, so much.
Suppose we’ll look back on this as a unique moment in the kid’s lives, being able to connect...if all our friends and family live of course. If it goes south, memories won’t be so great.

My daughter said her favorite thing about all of this is that we eat most of our breakfast/lunch/dinner meals together now versus them being at school for breakfast and lunch. She also likes that part of "homeschool" is daily board games.

#4920 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Florida. Duval county shutdown its beaches, its neighboring county did not. Wanna guess which is which (this is from Saturday):
[quoted image]

They are pulling this kind of crap around here.

https://www.counton2.com/news/local-news/folly-beach-reverses-access-bans/

They had restrictions on the beaches in place and the SC Attorney General decided they weren't legal, so they were forced to remove the restrictions and allow people back on the beach.

Our governor is such a slimy weasel he won't shut down the state because of tourism.

#4938 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

How can you watch that show? That guy and the woman are total pieces of shit.

That's exactly WHY I watch the show. If the pinball bubble ever bursts, it's because Carol did it.

#4947 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Doc Antle is from your neck of the woods right?

Oh yes. We frequent Myrtle Beach for short little weekend trips. My wife and I were wondering why we had never heard of his place, because we've done a lot of the other wildlife things in MB like https://alligatoradventure.com/.

Like they said in the series, it's like $400 PER PERSON to go to his place. Nah, I'm good.

#5022 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I really have no choice but to watch this tiger show, huh?

It's pretty fascinating.

#5480 4 years ago

With all these places that want to build ventilators, is there like a government provided set of plans they are following? Are all them going to build the same unit or is it up to each of them to design one?

Is there a software package they are all intended to run?

#5778 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I need a Haircut....My wife will be watching videos today....Im scared!

I've been cutting my own hair for years now. Cutting is an overstatement, running the clippers over my own hair for years is more accurate.

#6277 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I cant believe it took Florida until today to announce a stay at home order.

We still don't have one in South Carolina.

#6307 4 years ago

Why in the world are they talking about the war on drugs during the Corona briefing?

#6775 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

The number was chosen to be used in the future. It was meant to be a marker to declare victory against later. Instead of developing it to make informed decisions, it’s going to be used to say how great a job the government did to make it only 80,000 deaths when we have that many. That’s why there is also no timeframe on it. It’s like wanting a Camaro, but telling your wife you want a Audi. She freaks at the price, and then you “settle” for just a Camaro.
I tried to write that without getting political, but if that went over the line, I’ll take my medicine.

We usually call that sandbagging, and it's definitely a widely used thing.

Even when I provided budget for my teams I always sandbagged.

#6791 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Did the Georgia governor really just say that he learned yesterday that people infected with Coronavirus can be asymptomatic? WTF?

Yes. Welcome to the south where our leaders are more known for their connection to old money than their brains.

#6979 4 years ago

Our SC governor is an idiot.

FB_IMG_1585950854689 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1585950854689 (resized).jpg
#7097 4 years ago

Our SC governor still refuses to issue a stay-at-home order, claiming we are unique here in SC.

https://www.live5news.com/2020/04/03/mcmaster-not-issuing-stay-at-home-order-says-south-carolina-is-unique/

#7178 4 years ago

I already had some masks and a couple full on respirators here in the shop. I use them for mowing because of my allergies and when I work with nasty stuff. It sucks right now because I have maybe 8 N95 masks left and they can't be found anywhere.

I had to mow the yard with a full respirator on today so I didn't ruin one of our ones my wife takes to the store.

I have real gas masks with NBC cartridges stowed for if things get really sketchy, but I doubt coronavirus will take us there.

#7634 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It depends on the industry. If you work in a skilled nursing facility, yes. You can’t walk in the door without having your temperature taken. No honor system, someone takes it right there.

I recently switched jobs to a data analytics firm, and one of the things we've done recently for covid is taking mobile phone location data, cross referencing those data points with long term care facilities like SNFs that have confirmed cases, and identifying other facilities these people went to.

It could be adult children, delivery workers, mail carrier, nurses who just work at multiple facilities, etc...

The data was shocking. When I last looked at the analysis, we knew of 65 facilities with confirmed cases. Mobile phones that entered those facilities also touched over 1000 other facilities.

#7668 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Some SNFs (pronounced Sniff for those that don’t know) have stopped allowing that. A large one near me has laid off all per diem staff that worked at more than one facility to prevent cross contamination. My first reaction was surprise, followed a second later by “wow, smart”.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are using our data. We supply analytics to a large number of them and their holding companies.

#7882 4 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Both my parents were part of a union. I never saw them as a good thing. I know what’s best for me. Why would I want someone else negotiating for me that is not in my best interest?

Leverage. Numbers bring leverage.

#8234 4 years ago
Quoted from Tubes:

Science, like history, is a lie agreed upon.

No, it's really not.

If you are trying to get from point A to point B theory wise, science is nothing more than the arrow between them. It's the logical mechanism you use to test hypothesis.

#8595 4 years ago

I'm amazed at the 5G stuff. I have a huge scientific rant in the chamber about these 5G conspiracy loons but I don't think this is the thread for it.

#8600 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

It was................. A joke.

Yeah I know you don't believe it, but there are a good number of people who do.

#8715 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Geico just announced offering a policy credit.

I got an email from esurance that they were refunding 15% of our monthly premium for April and May

#9086 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

.......don't go to church this weekend.

I really hope people heed this warning. I'm down here in the bible belt and the number of churches still planning something is staggering.

#9091 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

The Kansas governor issued an executive order to limit church gatherings this week, then the legislature overturned it. They are of opposing political parties.

This from our SC Governor:

McMaster said people can still go to businesses that are open under his previous orders, including gun stores. He said he wouldn’t close gun stores because “It’s a constitutional right to have and bear arms.”

McMaster also said on Monday that he wouldn’t stop churchgoers from Easter services on Sunday, citing the First Amendment. But he encouraged church to stream services online, have church outdoors or otherwise ensure people social distance.

#9410 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I'm guessing that's droopy balls .

That would be Colorado. Oklahoma is "Goth Hospital".

#9422 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Anyone here interested in preppers and prepper culture?
I'm listening to this podcast wnycstudios.org/podcasts/otm/segments/why-preppers-werent-really-prepared-pandemic
"Why Preppers Weren't Really Prepared For The Pandemic"

I love watching the show Doomsday Preppers. I'll have to check this podcast out, thanks!

#10191 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I posted a few pages back that the USPS has been hurting forever it seems like and they say corona could close them up. Something to ponder on. Not saying by any means that Amazon would make the move, but would Jeff Bezos love to flex and drop some tall coin??
https://www.ccn.com/what-if-jeff-bezos-tries-to-acquire-the-struggling-u-s-postal-service/

It would be a horrible, horrible idea to let someone like Bezos take over the USPS.

The government should bail out the USPS as it is instead of some of the companies that are getting this money. It's ridiculous.

#10509 4 years ago

Ya, I head about that. I don’t like it at all. The bonus is that it’s supposed to be through Bluetooth and not location data. The draw back if that Bluetooth doesn’t really give you a good measure of interaction. It you pass someone on the other side of the street your chance of contact is minimal, but your Bluetooth range would connect. There’s supposed to be no personal information, but if it doesn’t tell you whom you contacted it from, then how would you be able to know where you got it, or when you got it.
All of this is a moot point. Your phone is always being tracked Already, this new software would just tracks other devices you’ve come into contact with.......doesn’t Facebook basically do this already.

We are already tracking location data to minimize cross contamination at long term care facilities.

Over the past few weeks we identified a huge number of people going between multiple facilities with confirmed cases.

Without anyone doing anything, we have location data on around 60-70% of all mobile devices.

#10641 4 years ago

I'm fine with wearing masks if I can find any to buy.

#10645 4 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

I bought one from Etsy last week and I'm still waiting.

I have 5 masks left, then I'm onto my full face gas mask, and I don't know if people are ready for that yet.

#10806 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I risked my life to get a few movies the other day , I guess I'll find out in 2 weeks if it was worth it .[quoted image]

All of those are fun movies! Enjoy. I actually think Jumanji Next Level was my favorite out of the 3.

#10812 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I'm sitting here watching Pulp Fiction on the TV and you posted , a fun coincidence[quoted image]

That scene changed my life when I was younger.

#11435 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

It is amazing how easy it is to keep little kids entertained outside if you give them a little direction. I handed them a shovel and told them to dig in the woods yesterday. That lasted them HOURS.

My kids are really struggling. My daughter's best friend's family decided to quarantine as much as we were so that the our daughters could play together. That's helping a little but we are limiting it to a couple days a week because we have workers coming into the house due to our flood.

#11694 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Curious. I’ve read a superfluous amount of information since this stuff started, as most have.
Does anybody believe that it’s realistic that we start to reopen consistent with the 3-phase plan, and that it would be safe for the most part as long as people continue to practice social distancing, the constant wipe down of commonly touched areas, wearing masks, etc.?
To me it sounds good in theory, but it definitely seems like there would be a significant risk for another spike in infections.

I think no matter what steps we take when things reopen, there will definitely be a spike in infections. I think the big debate is how to open things in such a way that we stay below max medical system capacity. It's all speculation, like predicting the future, as there are a ridiculous number of variables.

#11699 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Yup, and sadly one of the most concerning variables are those who don’t practice safe measures, or act idiotic. Unfortunately that puts everybody else at risk, even if they are complying.

Definitely, that has to be park of the risk assessment.

Just look at the sampling from this thread. Over 400 individuals posting in this thread and there are definitely those in here that will never wear a mask or get the vaccine when it comes out.

#12036 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The effect right now seems to be what happened during the last recession - no fire sales, people are just hanging on to their stuff or putting on market for ridiculous prices.

Noooo, now I won't get an opportunity to trade ammo, n95 masks, and toilet paper for a monster bash remake.

1 week later
#12918 3 years ago

I definitely hope we keep the curbside service going after this. I'm really enjoying pulling up to stores and having them load my car with my order. It makes it easy to keep supporting them and is significantly more efficient for me as well.

#12938 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I would rather be able to go in and walk around and gather my supplies, plus there could be extra sales going on not listed on website. You then also know that the expiration dates are still out a few days or so . Eggs , etc damaged, gotta go back . We don't want to be too comfy and spoiled, lazy.
Not saying you or anyone else is lazy..

Groceries, I 100% agree with. My wife has been the one taking care of that for us and she has done a great job making the orders 2-3 weeks at a time and keeping us stocked on the things we like. Things change in the blink of an eye with groceries, so we both believe handling that in person is the right thing. When she goes she is going right as senior hours end in the morning.

We've been using curbside for our local bird store (the birds haven't stopped eating like piggies in our back yard), Lowe's, and restaurants mainly. We had a water line burst a few days after quarantine started and it flooded our entire first floor. But the only time we've actually had to go in Lowe's throughout this was once to pick the flooring and paint colors we wanted for our contractor. I've taken the destruction in the house as an opportunity to replace some fans, light fixtures, paint the doors and trim, etc... but those are super easy to order online and do curbside.

#12955 3 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

How are people not leaving their houses for weeks or even months at a time? Are they just not eating fresh fruits and vegetables? I couldn’t do it.

In our area, farmers are delivering boxes full of produce. We just got one delivered yesterday.

#12978 3 years ago

Here is a pic of the produce box we got saturday. We ate the fresh green beans last night.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#13259 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

77 cell phone towers in the UK have been set on fire so far, 40 incidents of verbal/physical attacks against telcom staff, and one engineer was stabbed, as the result of some people believing the completely outlandish and baseless conspiracy theory about 5G being the cause of coronavirus.

The 5G theories drive me absolutely insane.

#13428 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

The NeverEnding Story ?

Sigh.

Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

#13440 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Got this gallon of sanitizer off of Amazon. Little pricey and smells like whiskey and pungent. Whew, does it smell! So if I use this and drive, get pulled over....I'm 100% doing a field sobriety test.[quoted image][quoted image]

But it has jojoba oil!

#13535 3 years ago

Bill Gates is a modern human hero with the work the Gates foundation does.

#13619 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I had no idea costs and fees were this high for restaurants using GrubHub. 46 meals cost over $1000 and they only receive $300 plus. Unreal.
https://news.yahoo.com/much-restaurants-really-order-grubhub-171851427.html

We've mostly stopped using Uber eats and grub hub because of their fees and business practices. We had Moe's via Uber Eats a few weeks ago and it was $70 for 2 adults and 2 kids. Not happening again.

#13927 3 years ago

This sums up my feelings on Bill Gates pretty well.

Screenshot_20200515-031600_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200515-031600_Facebook (resized).jpg
1 week later
#14567 3 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Yeah I wasn’t talking about me. I was talking about my co workers in the casting plant. If I’m having problems which I can deal with it. What are they going through? I’m having co workers pulling down the mask and coughing in my face. Trying to talk in factory is part lip reading and we are half deaf anyways. I’m just saying until you work in factory and say it’s Not cake walk do not judge! Oh doc thanks for all your input on medic field.

I think the way covid-19 is going to run through our core workforce is going be a really unfortunate phase of this pandemic. I wish you and your co-workers the best and I wish there were more money to invest in better protection systems.

#14591 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Here you go. Go back and read page 1 of this closed thread from 90 days ago. Before TPF shut down. Back when many thought this virus not going to amount to anything and were being quite cavalier about it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-coronavirus-stop-you-from-attending-tpf
And now that many think China is lying about its numbers, post #4 really stands out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 months later and we are at 100.000 deaths in this country. The last 10,000 deaths took one week.
The govt. washed its hands of the matter and said to expect to see 140,000 deaths. And now the govt. can act like all is normal.
At the rate we are going that will be another month when we see 140,000 deaths. Maybe the virus has been overblown and we will never see 140K. But what is going to happen if we see 140K and it keeps going? What if it becomes 150K and keeps going?
How many have to die before people quit saying the media hyped it up beyond reality? How many have to die before everyone says, " Oh ,shit, this is serious?
It was not that long ago that kept hearing that "we have 13 cases in this country but it is under control."
We will have 100,000 case tomorrow but it is under control." Sort like Wall Street having an "orderly" decline.

#14607 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The hospital parking lots are empty and they are laying off nurses in Ohio. Explain that......

Because a vast majority of our medical system is a business and they got shut down just like every where else. No "elective" procedures meant a huge chunk of things that go on at a hospital stopped happening. No procedures, no need for staff.

#14662 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Nope you are still wrong because we have these little satellite emergency rooms all around us that are emergency only and they dont do procedures of any kind there and the parking lots are empty. Very very little activity going on at all. If this virus was making everyone sick the parking lots would be full.

So you are mad that all the quarantine and shutdown that we went through actually stopped the virus from decimating us worse than it did? Your statement is the equivalent of saying "I don't know anyone who is hungry, so hunger isn't a problem."

#14779 3 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

In my area, there is now an advertisement about how you can get a test to detect if you have antibodies to COVID-19 and the advertisement says that it "only costs" $189. I also hear some people say that the test is covered by insurance and the copay is like $10. I think they are doing it in parking lots. Someone please explain to me why I would want to pay for this test or why I would even want it... The only reason I can possibly imagine is if your employer is requiring that for you to return to work...

yeah most labcorps are doing it at $10 walk-in with insurance. You'd want to check to see if you had the virus and now carry the antibodies. It would mean you could safely return to your life for the most part, as your body now has a way to defend against it.

#14786 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I would love to know so I could relax my guard a bit and maybe normalize my life somewhat. That said my gut instincts tells me those tests are unreliable and I would prefer going through my doctor.

If you get a positive result definitely inquire about which brand. I believe the Abbott test is the one with considerable false-positives. The Roche one seems to have better stats.

#14896 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I know there are obviously more but it's not bad around here for some reason

"For some reason". You mean like all the lockdown stuff actually worked and kept it from really wrecking Ohio?

It's unfortunately not over yet either.

3 weeks later
#15689 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

They found traces of it in sewage samples back in December.

That job sounds like it stinks.

#15715 3 years ago

I feel like that single doctor could also be confusing better treatments and earlier detection with a weakening virus.

For his statement to potentially be verified, we would need analyses of specific strains and the patients that had each. You know, science stuff.

#15874 3 years ago

If these studies are correct, there's a worry that you may become vulnerable again even after you've had it.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/studies-report-rapid-loss-of-covid-19-antibodies-67650

#16019 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

With my local observations I've witnessed a similar evolution of denial, to increase safety, to now a very casual and lax attitude. And throughout this entire time I've seen almost daily improper use of masks and distancing violations. Noses sticking out, pulling the mask down to speak clearly and on and on. I have a friend of mine that visits prostitutes. He quit for a while due to covid but now he's back at it and making up for lost time. Can you imagine??

There's been a long building "science denial" issue here in America that has downstream effects like this.

Add a bunch of ego, self-importance, and 11 herbs and spices and we end up where we are.

Edited to add:

Quoted from Mr68:

I'm not sophisticated enough to understand the herd immunity theory and candidly it goes entirely against my instincts. But I often feel like throwing my hands up and wonder, what's the point in some of us doing all of the work.

If those of us that are capable give up caring for those who aren't, what's the point of any of it? The universe is a big empty place that doesn't give a shit if we exist or not. All humans have are each other.

#16108 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Fun little experience last night, I'll let the images speak for themselves...
I'm clearly the oldest of the crowd, but still! [quoted image][quoted image]

I had the same experience yesterday.

I stopped at a gas station to fill up and hit the restroom, and out of all the people in there I was the only one with a mask on.

1 week later
#16574 3 years ago

The USA had a record breaking 71k new cases yesterday.

If it keeps up at that pace we are looking at half a million people getting sick every week.

#16628 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I can understand all of that for now but this is not going to be a forever thing.

It's at least going to be a couple years.

I now know 3 asymptomatic people that have tested positive. They got tested because either a family member was sick or they were doing it as a precaution before visiting people.

#16633 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Nudging a door open with a foot is impossible when it swings inward and that's my frustration.

I wish more places would install these, so you can pull the door open with your foot.

#16640 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Daily deaths starting to spike in the high infections states.

Our hospital bed usage here in SC has been on a constant rise, with the new spike in cases i fear we are nearing 100%.

1 week later
#16975 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Mask-shaming is ridiculous in the larger picture.

Is it? Maybe people -should- feel ashamed for not wearing a mask? It's a simple thing.

#17014 3 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I'm not even sure what to think at this point. Virginia has a mask mandate, and we have for quite a while now. Everywhere I go, people are wearing masks. Admittedly, I'm not going very many places, nor very often. I'm also in northern Virginia, so maybe people take it more seriously than rural areas of the state.

That's the exact opposite of what I see here in SC. I haven't kept exact numbers but I feel like I see about 20% of people here in SC with masks on. It's really disappointing. Our governor won't require them.

1 week later
#17401 3 years ago

I would love to see masks being worn for flu. We could really put a dent in airborne virus transmission with more cautious behavior across the board.

I think though that you are seeing first hand why masks aren't a part of our culture. We can't get people to wear masks for covid-19, they sure as hell aren't going to do it for flu.

#17414 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Putting aside politics, what exactly is it about Americans that makes us so unconcerned about others? Are we just assholes? As has already been pointed out in this thread, people in many other cultures wear a mask without hesitation to protect their fellow citizens if they are feeling under the weather. Americans, on the other hand, regularly go to work with fevers and no mask.

I really wish I knew the answer to that.

There are a ton of other social contracts we have with others. Even stopping at stop signs is an agreement we follow to keep from hurting each other.

#17483 3 years ago

I think we are starting to see data on some of the downstream nastiness that covid-19/quarantine is causing:

"Opioid overdoses up 50% in S.C. this year amid COVID-19 pandemic"

https://www.live5news.com/2020/07/30/opioid-overdoses-up-sc-this-year-amid-covid-pandemic/

#17571 3 years ago

The whole school decision is really, really tough for a lot of parents.

Our local school district was offering two options last week, and gave us about 4 days to decide. The two options they offered us were:

#1 - "Virtual Academy" that was online learning only, and you had to commit to that for the entire school year. Our state has never offered anything like this and they claim they "spent all summer" developing it. I have concerns that it will be low quality.

#2 - "In-Person" where the kids went back to school as long as the department of health says covid is low enough to go. If they weren't allowed to go back to the building, they would switch to "e-learning" which is what the end of this year was, different from virtual academy. It was also a disaster.

We picked Virtual Academy for our kids and we will just see how it goes. If I have to supplement their learning myself or hire tutors I guess that's what we are doing now.

#17668 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I feel that all schools will end up closing before Halloween.
I hope not, but thats what the messed up brain is thinking.....

I think you are right.

Schools are just wishful thinking at this point.

#17676 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Have a little faith. There are hundreds of businesses all over the US that have hundreds of people working under the same roof all day, and aside from a few instances at some factories, there have not been massive outbreaks. I work in a business that has nearly 100 people under one roof - we interact with dozens of customers from the regular public every single day. I've been at work the whole time. We've had no issues, even though there have been spouses of some of our employees that have tested positive.
It IS possible to stay clean and safe. Trust me, the kids understand - they don't want to be sheltered at home any longer.
We had a little girl not far from me walk out into a cornfield, down a bottle of pills, and kill herself. She was depressed from being stuck at home.
Locking up the kids at home isn't going to work.

I honestly wish I knew what the right answer is, but I think part of the problem is there is no right answer.

For the most part everyone is saying the same thing: "We want our kids and teachers to be safe, healthy, and receive proper education." But we all lead such different lives what works for family A doesn't work for family B. At this point all of us are just trying to minimize damage to our kids, be it emotional or physical.

#17768 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

In all fairness, what's Sturgis supposed to do? Seems like bikers are going to show up no matter what anyone says.

Require masks and enforce it.

2 weeks later
#18131 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Everyone ready for your mandatory vaccine?
[quoted image]

I really don't understand the hate for Bill Gates. One of the few 1%-ers doing good work.

#18151 3 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Do your research on him but do not use facebook or google. He is not a billionaire because he is a nice guy.

Sorry I don't have an Encyclopedia Britannica anymore. If you mean he was a vicious business man that didn't care whose feelings he hurt or whose technology he stole, then I already know the stories.

It's a lucky thing for humanity that he is who he is. Contrast that to someone like Bezos.

#18202 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Serious question. If they came out with a vaccine today would you take it? I for one would not take this rushed vaccine.

I am not sure. I'd have to review the data and the initial rollout to see if it's something I'm willing to do. I'm skeptical right now because of the rush to get a vaccine out for this. Companies have been trying for a while to find a vaccine for this type of virus and haven't yet. On the flip side, companies are throwing MASSIVE amounts of dollars at this to try to be the first with a vaccine, so the latest and greatest tech is being utilized.

Hopefully when vaccines do start coming out, we can all talk about them and have a conversation about the pros/cons of each, and potential gotchas. You know, look out for each other.

#18349 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Corona Lisa, lol[quoted image]

"Rona Mona"

1 week later
#18623 3 years ago

Hahaha that Paul Rudd video is great!

#18712 3 years ago

Masks are part of our lives now. I doubt they will ever completely go away.

This pandemic isn't a one time thing. These kind of events are going to continue accelerating.

#18820 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

My personal prediction is that the first doses of vaccine will be given to healthcare workers sometime around Feb-March.

I wonder if they will also push it out to the military real quickly.

1 week later
#19016 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

People will never get on the same page Rob. Some people are furious over these masks. I have a cousin that has been ripping my ass big time because I wear a mask.
He says out of all the people that he knows, he thought i would be the last person to be a damn sheep and buy into this bullshit. I told him that the biggest reason that I wear one is out of respect for other people, especially the elderly.
He is literally furious about this whole coronavirus thing and the masks. I swear hes about ready to go off the deep end over it, thinks it's no more than a cold etc. I'm like dude just wear a f*cking mask, it's not a big deal. He says I am a sheep and he cant believe I am bowing down to all these lies and that I should be embarrassed lol.

Just wanted to say I appreciate you wearing a mask. Thanks!

1 week later
#19281 3 years ago

Also get outside. The sun give us vitamin D for free and it is very important for your immune system.

I need to do more of this.

#19304 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Let's go back to playing pinball
We're all the same side here
Pinside!

<needs mic drop emoji lol>

There are plenty of other threads about playing pinball if that's what you want, but this thread has graciously been left open by the Pinside team even though it requires a lot of work on their part.

This is a global health crisis and we as a species could learn some humility.

I'm sorry that you refuse to be educated about the matter, but it doesn't change what is going on.

#19464 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People are still dying and it’s still sad. Even if many (most?) of the victims are old and/or fat

The senior population is getting hit really hard right now. I can't paste the exact data because it's confidential but occupancy percentages at long term care facilities are down double digits across the country (independent living, memory care, assisted living, etc...). That drop is not healthy people moving out.

Please, please, please take precautions to slow the spread of this disease. I'm begging all of you.

For those of you that are taking precautions already, thank you and keep up the good work.

#19572 3 years ago

Multiple news outlets are reporting today that this years death rate in USA is 300 000 higher the previous years. If covid has only killed 217 000, where did the other 80 000 deaths come from?
Could this be worse then reported?

The source articles go over some of the theories. Examples they gave are like sick people/heart attack victims being less willing to call 911 or go to the hospital because of covid risk. I know suicides are certainly up compared to previous years.

What is also interesting is things like auto accident deaths are way down, which means the 300,000 increase in net deaths is even worse when you factor the reduction in other causes.

#19602 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I walked into a restaurant the other day for carry out properly wearing my masked and marveled at the wonderful smells of the food.
It got me wondering, if I can easily smell through he mask, how well is it protecting me from microscopic virus particles........

Masks are less about protecting you and more about protecting other people. Most masks are just doing the job of physically blocking a large % of your spit or mucus droplets from coming out and getting to other people. Also unless you are wearing a carbon filter mask you are probably going to still smell stuff.

#19642 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I went to the hardware store today and drove through a busy city area of Seattle. There were lots of people out, but everyone was wearing a mask. Hundreds of people and no one I saw didn't have a mask on. But then, when I've been in Eastern California or rural West Coast towns, it's not like that at all. I don't get it, if we all wear masks and stay home for a few weeks, we mostly end this thing. But Americans are so selfish, they are willing to drag it out and destroy the economy and have a lot more people die.

I'd say about only 50% of people here in SC are wearing masks. It's mostly middle aged or older white people not wearing them too.

#19671 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Do you honestly think that someone's race has anything to do with them not wearing a mask? Your post is a real head scratcher for me......im seriously dumbfounded by it.

Just relating my observations. Interpret it however you want.

This poll in national geographic seems to back it up.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/07/poll-covid-masks-morning-consult/

#19704 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

So I'm just curious.......and im not being a smartass honest to God. Do you guys stay locked up in your house in fear of getting this virus? At first I really was hardcore about staying at home other than having to go to work. I still dont get out and do much unnecessary running around but i do go get food a lot more often than i used to and sometimes i just say screw it and i go to wal mart or wherever because I just want to get out of the house and be a normal person again.
I guess to sum it all up you could say that I still respect this virus but I am tired of letting it control my life also. I still dont go to large gatherings but I would have a couple of friends over for pinball here and there where I wouldn't have even considered a few months ago. I'm tired of living like this.

My family has definitely reached our limit a couple of times. We are still very dialed back, we always wear masks, and we take advantage of delivery services and grocery online orders as much as we can.

But.... This past weekend we ate at a restaurant for the first time since March. We actually ate at two of them on the same day. One was outdoors and the tables were super far apart. The other was indoors with tables far apart, but there was only one other family at the time we went, seated in different parts of the restaurant. I was really surprised at how empty that one was.

The only way the school can provide the services agreed upon in my son's IEP is to have him come to the building every day, even though my daughter is completely virtual schooling. He goes to the school building 5 days a week. It's not ideal but we don't really have a choice.

Point being, I personally just hope everyone does the best they can with the situation they are given. If someone feels they have to live their normal life but are still willing to wear a mask, that's a huge help. Every step beyond that just helps more. Combining multiple grocery trips into one, doing take out, avoiding crowds, etc... All of that is just more stuff people can do to help, in my opinion.

If you are at the breaking point and need to have some buddies over for pinball at your house, I say go for it. Ask everyone to be honest about how they are feeling (sick or not) and see how they feel about masking up unless you are drinking/eating.

#19765 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Therein lies the irony. Instead of embracing masks from the beginning and educating people, our leadership chose to play down the pandemic and focus on the importance of reopening the economy. If they had just listened to the scientists in the first place, our economy wouldn't be in the toilet right now.

It really is a shame. In hindsight we've had two separate times where we started winning. If we could have just seen these through and gone hard to the floor with it, the USA could have been mostly done with this.

Let's try and not screw up the next down slope.

#19811 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Got that info?

Lots of states do expose that information. Here is the dashboard for South Carolina:

https://scdhec.gov/covid19/hospital-bed-capacity-covid-19

#19816 3 years ago

Ooof, Ohio's numbers are up.

#19828 3 years ago

Unfortunately we are breaking records with new numbers of cases.

#19870 3 years ago

Well, the US surpassed 100,000 new daily cases yesterday, with no indication of slowing down.

Screenshot_20201031-075859_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201031-075859_Chrome (resized).jpg
#19889 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Who is that Pinsider that owned a drive in? I think he was having some financial problems, was he able to hang on? It would be booming now!

I don't know if Buddy is the guy you are referring to, but if you are here is his drive-in, in Norton, Virginia:

https://nortoncinema.com/central-drive-in-norton/

#19932 3 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

What I noticed when I voted this morning is how many people were coming out of the polling location with no mask on. There was a sign thanking people for wearing masks, but the word required was no where to be found! The county I live in has a mask mandate! I guess all those people had a "health problem" the exempted them from wearing a mask!

From what I've read it would be illegal to stop someone from voting because they aren't wearing a mask.

#19939 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

It's too bad they can't just drive up and drop their ballots off. That would be so much safer for everyone.

Our place had drive up voting!! I've never seen that before. They were bringing the machine over to the car.

#19998 3 years ago

Well the US hit almost 120k cases yesterday, another new record.

The next two months are going to be bad.

#20007 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I cannot believe these numbers this week. All the work SOME of us did earlier this year to slow this thing down seems to be completely in vain.

It's so frustrating.

My team at work is leveraging every technology and dataset we can to equip the senior care industry with the proper defenses against covid-19. Machine learning and AI that would blow your mind. Even with all of that technology, it's like fighting the tide with all these people who have been conned into thinking science is a conspiracy and coronavirus isn't dangerous.

#20049 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

1. Focus on masks - mass manufacturing of good ones, distributing them freely, educating people on correct use and efficacy through multi media campaign.

2. Cheap, fast, and accurate home testing kits - throwing as much money as is necessary to make this happen. This promotes a return to normalcy in the home, workplace, and schools.

+1 to these. Immediately have the USPS distribute face masks and saliva rapid testing kits to every household. The saliva kits should be scannable and reportable by cell phone/QR code.

1 week later
#20217 3 years ago

Came across this stream, and I gotta say it frustrated me. Numbers are at an all time high, but here's the "Super spreader" pin tourney. Several people not wearing masks, and the hosts of the stream making fun of mask wearing.

Come on pinheads, we can do better.

#20323 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Community spread is forcing essential workers into quarantine and leading to staffing shortages. Very problematic in hospital systems right now seeing as they need more staff than normal not less.
I suspect this is a real problem for healthcare (and school, etc) across the USA. It certainly is in my neck of the woods. Our schools are shutting down due to community spread taking out support staff.
https://www.twincities.com/2020/11/17/over-900-mayo-staff-have-gotten-covid-19-in-past-two-weeks/amp/

Our local school district was on the news last night, the busses are going to be late for a lot of kids because so many of the drivers are out with covid or in quarantine.

#20335 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

My wife and I were debating for a few weeks on what to do for Thanksgiving/Christmas and visiting her parents. They live about 3 hours from us in Johnstown, PA and are in their late 70's. My in-laws already said no big Thanksgiving this year so it would be the 4 of us. My wife was thinking of getting Covid tests done before this weekend. I reminded her that I'm still working until Tuesday which would make getting the test before useless. Even if we got a test and stayed home until Thanksgiving wouldn't guarantee were not sick and not showing symptoms. So, my wife and mother in law decided its just best not to take a chance for TG/Xmas.
Its going to be a tough holiday season with people making decisions and the outcomes of them. The infections were seeing now are probably from October weddings, Halloween parties, and all the mass gatherings related to protests/celebrations from the elections. Now the holidays - Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years one right after the other. January 2021 is probably going to be grim.

Yeah, this is going to be a tough season. My in-laws were coming for thanksgiving but we all decided not to take the risk with the numbers rising. Especially tough for my wife because she hasn't seen her parents since this past christmas.

1 week later
#20465 3 years ago

I've seen some reddit/internet posts that claim some frontline workers in the UK may be scheduled for the vaccine as early as December 7th, and frontline health workers in the US might be starting to get the vaccine around December 12th.

#20543 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

One of my old Junior High teachers died from Covid today. Two people my wife knows died of it the last couple weeks as well. The stress of this year and life in general pushed my 25 year old niece over the edge and she took her own life yesterday. Tough times for all. The vaccine can't get here soon enough.

I'm sorry to hear about these losses. Hugs.

#20571 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I truly hope I dont catch it, it is a death sentence to me.

Kerri and I think about you and your family a lot Art. Hopefully we can get down there one day when it's safe and visit with you again!

#20622 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Government shouldn't have the power to shut down/ limit private business.

What about safety issues like health inspections, etc?

1 week later
#20850 3 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I'm not big on that... I'm staying home till after Christmas for the most part.

The vaccines are coming. I can wait a little longer.

That's about the same we decided here as well. All the grandparents decided not to come for christmas, with a vaccine on the horizon it doesn't make sense to risk it.

The number of people out and about doing christmas shopping or errands is off the chart, so we've decided to do another personal lockdown until after the new year. We stocked up a few weeks ago in anticipation of this.

Stay safe everyone, let's make it through the new year and we will hopefully all be getting vaccinated when it's safe to do so.

#20880 3 years ago

I find it ironic the covid denier politicians are getting their vaccines now.

1 week later
#20979 3 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I lost my mother to Covid this morning. She, like so many others, had other underlying health issues. She had advanced Alzheimer’s and kidney problems. She was 78.
I’m glad she’s no longer suffering. I saw her a few days ago (she lived 6 hours from me) and it was apparent that she was in a lot of pain. An awful thing to witness.
RIP mom.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my mom 3 years ago and it still hurts.

Hugs.

#21008 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

My father in law died of Covid Saturday. It was 9 days from onset of symptoms to death.

My condolences. I fear we are going to see a lot of these posts over the next month.

Hang in there and hug your wife a lot.

#21067 3 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Sad news for me as my 86 yr old mother got covid 2 weeks ago and has passed away 2 days ago . She was being cared for by my sister in CA who has also contracted covid but seems to be doing ok she's 63.She was in assisted living and spent 2 weeks in hospital ,got dehydrated with low o2 then kidneys failed and just gave up in the end . Steroids plus antibiotics o2 and iv's was not enough to keep her going.
Been reading about some treatments of IVERMECTIN for prevention and paitient recovery with good results in other counties but not much of it being used in the USA. Anybody tried it or have any info would be appreciated. Losing a elderly family member in poor health is to expected but any cases of the younger ones will not be easy to take . Stay Safe Plowpusher

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Hugs.

#21146 3 years ago

What was your point for posting this without the explanation that it's a schematic for a guitar pedal, but morons think it's a vaccine chip?

2 weeks later
#21363 3 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Interesting to see how 100 days of mandatory masks and how they will enforce will turn out for the USA.

The 100 days executive order only requires masks on federal property. It's not enough in my opinion.

I'm scheduled for my first dose of Pfizer vaccine on Feb 16th.

4 weeks later
#21683 3 years ago

My first dose of the Pfizer vaccine was Tuesday. My side effects were pretty mild, I had some light soreness in my shoulders and upper back but it only lasted about 48 hours.

3 weeks later
#21968 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Today my arm is a bit sore but no more than the Flu shot would be. I hear the 2nd shot kind of knocks people out a bit. My Sister said she took a nap for 3 hours after hers.

I got my second Pfizer dose 3 days ago, and I was really worried it would knock me down but I just had some general "bleh" feeling for about 12 hours. I've heard that's a good indication my immune system was responding appropriately.

My wife got her first Pfizer dose this morning and is having the same arm soreness I did (and looks like you are too).

Really glad that we are starting to see more and more vaccinations. I'm ready to go on some vacations.

#21973 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Won't your vax pass run out after 3 months though?

I've read different things about this, but what I've mostly seen is that there are "B memory" cells that are created that still provide the roadmap to your immune system on how to beat coronavirus, even after the short term immune response wears off.

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/in-in-class-12-biology-india/xc09ed98f7a9e671b:in-in-human-health-and-disease/xc09ed98f7a9e671b:in-in-types-of-immunity-and-the-immune-system/a/adaptive-immunity

Maybe one of the docs can shed more light on this.

1 week later
#22157 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Was surprised to see that last sentence.......
[quoted image]
Even more surprised that no one has mentioned this yet that has already gotten the shot

I got the same packet, and read it, but why is that surprising?

None of the vaccines have actually gone through the full approval process, they were allowed emergency authorization.

1 week later
#22234 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

These are some very interesting stories on getting vaccines. Has anyone else had both already? What are your experiences?

I had my second pfizer dose almost a month ago and the only side effect I got from either dose was a sore arm. Seems like I was on the luckier side of it.

My wife got her second pfizer dose early this morning and so far she has no side effects either.

My dad is finally coming to visit this weekend for easter. It's been a long time since he has been able to safely come but we are all vaccinated and ready to socialize. Bring on the easter ham and weekend games!

1 week later
#22317 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

My kids both got their first Pfizer shot today. Five more weeks and our whole family will be fully protected. It will be nice to return to some semblance of normalcy after being super careful for more than a year.

I feel like July 4th in the US is going to be absolutely -bonkers- of a holiday, along with summer vacations.

3 months later
#24107 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Simple question: what gives you the right to control another adult’s healthcare?

Explain to me that right you hold over someone else and I will agree with everything you said.

The same reason that you can't drink and drive. It endangers the health of other people.

#24135 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I’m against the government forcing us, or putting mandates on us to get vaccinated.

This isn't something new. States have mandated vaccines for school children and health workers for a long time.

Here is a link to a chart that shows the various laws by state.

https://www.cdc.gov/phlp/publications/topic/vaccinations.html

1 week later
#24499 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

What I have learned the past 18 months is that we haven’t learned much.

It's really hard to educate people who actively refuse to get educated.

#24758 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I'm in day three of a pretty bad flu episode and it's my worst day so far. Low grade fever, diarrhea, nausea, no appetite, and sore muscles. I'm spacy as hell and almost no energy. About all I can do is post useless jokes/observations on Pinside in-between naps. The good news is that whatever I've got, it's not in my lungs which is usually a killer for me.
I had both vaccinations done several months ago.
While I'm feeling absolutely miserable right now, I don't consider myself to be in any danger at all. I got this. Rest, drink plenty of fluids, blah blah blah.
This morning as I was muddling along, my girlfriend called and I told her to stay away cuz I didn't want to make her sick. Drama ensued as you guys can imagine. Anyway, she is an influence on me so let me cut to my Dear Abby questions.
I don't see any purpose for me to have a doctor's visit so they can tell me, bed rest, fluids and aspirin. I also don't see any purpose in finding out if I have Covid, the variant or a garden variety flu. And because I've been vaccinated, could any testing tell the difference between the real and the vaccine.
Please note.
I've not been following this thread and I'm bouncing in cold.
I already know I shouldn't get medical advice from a pinball group but I'm bored.
Thanks

I don't know you personally other than here on Pinside, so take my opinion for what it is, but go to the doctor and just get checked out please. Any fever that lasts 3-4 days is worth having a doctor look at because it could signal a bigger infection or something is going on.

#24791 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Thanks for the input guys, sometimes it's hard to step out of my caveman mentality. Sorry if I missed anyone, I'm still really woozy
Fortunately I live in an affluential community and testing was quick and easy. Yesterday, after reading your encouragement, I called my doctor and was given two phone numbers to call. Within a hour I was at my local hospital and a nurse came out to my car and I self administered a nasal swab under her supervision. Results for Covid should be later today.
This morning I did a phone call triage with another hospital department and I'm waiting on a call back to schedule another drive though test. I expect to make my appointment in another hour or two with results tomorrow.
EDIT: Spoke to Doctor and this is just another test for Covid and not what I originally thought. I will make second appointment in a couple of days and only if necessary.
I was reluctant to comment in this thread yesterday but now I'm glad I did. Thank you for the thoughtful replies.

Glad to hear you are getting it checked out. Even if it's nothing, I get the feeling that a lot of us are lucky and have access to great doctors. Take advantage of it.

1 week later
#25292 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Those diseases are incredibly complex. The advances in just the past 10 years to combat them have been incredible.

100%.

My wife's breast cancer was one of the very aggressive types and she has the genetic markers for it. The drugs that saved her life only came out 10 years ago. Her oncologist said otherwise it would have been a death sentence. The drugs were targeted for the type she had.

I know there's this "big bag pharma" stigma out there, but don't let that drown out the work that untold numbers of scientists are doing at those organizations and the products that are coming out of them.

#25332 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Keep in mind that for the most part, the virus isn't floating around all by itself. Their typical mode of transport is in water droplets. Stop the water droplets from going anywhere, and you stop a high percentage of transmission.

I really don't understand why it's so hard for people to understand this.

Masks aren't there to stop individual virus particles for the most part, they are there to collect all the spit that comes out as you breathe and talk, because those spit drops contain virus.

You need some form of physical barrier over your mouth and nose to keep gross shit from coming out into the air.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=wolfmarsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.