272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wjxxxx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#376 4 years ago

The timeline for the last week in the UK

People told to self-isolate if they had symptoms (Fever or NEW persistent cough) for 7 days

People told to stay away from pubs, clubs, bars, gyms, restaurants etc. BUT no enforcement for those business owners to close.

People then told to work from home if they can. Schools still open.

Thursday
Schools told they will be shut from Friday, for all but the children of essential workers, disabled or vulnerable children. Business loans could be had up to 25k for any business.
All exams cancelled - teachers will estimate/award grades for GCSE and A Levels.

Friday
All public locations to close by midnight tonight. Bars, clubs, cinemas, restaurants, etc. INDEFINITELY ( but expected to be for up to 12 months, with occasional relaxing of these measures)
UK government tells businesses not to sack any staff. The government will pay 80% of the staffs wages if they are kept on by closed businesses. (Estimated at £30 Billion) for first 3 months.
All vat returns suspended for businesses.
Landlords will not be allowed to evict anybody for non payment of rent for next 6 months.

The constant message is that all of these measures are being taken by looking at the science behind the virus, both from other outbreaks, and current data from other countries.

I am given twice daily reports on what PPE we are using so I can ensure we have enough on order and it is distributed to the right areas.
We have also converted an old ward, which had been turned into a store room, back into a usable area where we can ventilate patients when they come in.
IT department has ordered 750 laptops so staff can work from home if need be (to add to the 350 currently in circulation)
No annual leave over a week is authorised, and staff are being rotated from clean to dirty (infected or suspected infected) areas regularly. They are also being encouraged to take short (2-3 days) holidays regularly so they don't become over tired or stressed.

These are things that are happening right now - pure facts.

All of these decisions have been made after examining all possibilities, by people with far more resources to crunch the numbers than anyone on here. I can guarentee that no government in the world would choose to make these decisions, with the huge financial cost, if there was any other choices.

People need to start taking this seriously and following whatever government advice is issued or things will get significantly worse.

Wash your hands, and keep your distance.

#780 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Started a 1000 piece puzzle with the wife and kids.
This thing is BS as it says 10 years plus and we’re going to have it done in a few days.[quoted image]

Try a 6000 piece, I started this 3years ago.
If I do have to self isolate at least I'll have something to do

15848294985451054571300548752527 (resized).jpg15848294985451054571300548752527 (resized).jpg
#1912 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Welcome aboard bro!
Hey wanna go play some basketball in the park?

FB_IMG_1584907484040 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1584907484040 (resized).jpg
#4583 4 years ago

How different countries leaders are telling people about social distancing

FB_IMG_1585425847931 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1585425847931 (resized).jpg
#4965 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

you're just "following" most of others countries, being late by 2 or 3 weeks (and not learning from our errors)... but yes, same deny, same bad reactions, same fate...
:/

And this is what makes the way USA are dealing with this frustrating. Generally speaking this thing has travelled West from China. China tried to deal with the outbreak by contact tracing before realising that it was too late and they had to lock down severely. Other Asian nations caught on quick and did testing, tracing and lockdown.
The main land European countries were too slow and now we have multiple 100s dying a day in Italy and Spain being the worst hit and health providers completely overwhelmed.
The UK was late going for a full lockdown, instead first trying voluntary isolation, before going for semi /full lockdown we are currently in. We MAY just get away with ONLY 20,000 dying IF we stay locked down for the next 2-3 months.

USA, despite all the heads up and warnings fromehat has happened in other countries, the initial response was 'it's nothing serious', flu kills more people, heart attacks kill more people, it's a hoax being used for political gain. People continued to travel freely, flew Around the country thinking it wouldn't affect them, they're not over 70, don't have health conditions and continued to spread the virus.
You have stated bidding g against each other for PPE and ventilators, everyone is only concerned about themselves, what the economy will be like. (Almost every other country is paying the workers who have had to take these precautions, shoring up the businesses that have had to close). States are squabbling amongst themselves trying to play the blame game, 'it wasn't my fault, it was X or Y or Z, I did everything I could please reelect me. Or just in simple denial. It'll be business as usual by Easter. I cancelled the UK Pinball League for the WHOLE OF THE YEAR on Mar15th because it was obvious the way things were going,

I just worry that sister and family who live in NYC and are teachers are going to be well and truly screwed if they contract and have a bad reaction to the virus as NYC is currently the epicentre and likely to be hit the hardest first. If everyone of importance in USA doesn't start working together the death toll will be in the 100s of thousands - the fact that when it does turn in turn a shit storm every man and his dog is looking out for themselves armed to the teeth with guns, the least of my concerns would be worrying about the virus.

#6826 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Let's not get crazy people.

I think that ship has sailed already

#8067 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

He’s high risk. I’m sure he’s getting the best care available, but even that might not be enough.

How would he be classified as high risk?
Only 55, nonsmoker, no (known) underlying health issues, regularly cycles, and almost certainly has access to the best medical care and advice available.

If that isnt a wake up call that it can infect, and cause serious issues, to anyone - I don't know what is.

#8341 3 years ago

Here’s the 1000 pcs I’m doing with my daughter.
[quoted image]
I also have the NYC puzzle that I did years ago, we might build it after this one.

I've been working on and off on this one for nearly 2 years.
I'm working 7 days a week now, so even less time to complete it.

Just had a look at other 6000 piece puzzles and they were ridiculous prizes!

15862812834673381602948180052836 (resized).jpg15862812834673381602948180052836 (resized).jpg Added over 4 years ago:

Unsurprisingly, I have actually made no progress on this whatsoever, and have instead bought a PS4

#8546 3 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

Cut up an old bungee cord, all kinds of elastic band in them.

Or use slingshot rubbers

#8740 3 years ago

Not directed at anyone in particular, but it came up on my FB feed and I thought it appropriate here.

"Please stop saying you "researched it."

You didn't research anything and its highly probable that you dont even know how to do so.

Did you compile a literature review and write abstracts on each article? Or better yet, did you collect a random sample of sources and perform independent probability statistics on the reported results? No?

Did you at least take each article, one by one and look into the source ( that would be the author, publisher and funder), then critique the writing for logical fallacies, cognitive distortions and plain inaccuracies.

Did you ask yourself why this source might publish these particular results? Did you follow the trail of references and apply the same source of scrutiny to them?

No? Then you didnt fucking research anything. You read or watched a video, most likely with little to no objectivity. You came across something in your algorithm manipulated feed, something that jived with your implicit biases and served your confirmation bias, and subconsciously applied your emotional filters and called it proof.

Scary.

- Linda Gamble Spadaro"

1 week later
#10500 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Not good. Is there a reason for such a big jump after several days of a decrease? It seems like like some states are starting to report lower hospitalization rates.

Most likely explanation is delays in reporting over Easter weekend, being caught up.

You can't take a few days records and extrapolate out, you need to look at the bigger trend

#11775 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

A lot of pockets of civil disobedience in our country regarding the stay at home order. Most likely more to come. I'd be really interested in hearing from our pinball friends in other countries if they're seeing the same thing.

Nothing whatsoever regarding civil disobedience or protests in the UK about the lockdown. In fact it's the opposite, people pointing out the idiots who are going out for 'non-essential' reasons. We're pretty much looking at USA and POTUS thinking WTF, unbelieving that people are trusting in the propaganda - that it's a political conspiracy and that the danger is over hyped.

My GF lives in the South of France, the reaction is more similar to the UK. People are hating fact that they intend to break the lockdown (in schools first) before there is a vaccine or widespread tests and that people, are still dying in huge numbers.

I know people in most European countries through my pinball travels, and they're all understanding and approving of the lockdown.

My sister lives in NYC and is a teacher along with her husband and live in a smallish apartment with 2 children 8 & 12. Despite having to do online teaching for their pupils as well as taking care of their own kids they are in shock at the protests as well.

The way SOME Americans are treating this is truly remarkable and a very poor reflection on the American people as a whole.

#11849 3 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

Can anybody provide some numbers on the average number of deaths per day from the flu in the United States for 2019 and for 2020? Additionally, can anybody provide some numbers on the average number of deaths per day from Covid-19 since the first case was reported in Washington state? Thanks in advance!

https://medium.com/swlh/misinformation-goes-viral-1aad951e4492

#12290 3 years ago

I’m really concerned about the long term food supply chain issues over the next couple years. I believe that almost every processed food will have time periods of scarcity. Hopefully it doesn’t all happen at once. I think there will be waves that roll through the industry for a while and hopefully they won’t combine at once.
The first wave I noticed was large items like TP, bags of flour, bags of rice, frozen foods, ect. Most of these are warehoused to a degree and can be replenished fairly quickly. I don’t think products like yeast will restock quickly, it takes time to grow and has a short shelf life.
The next wave will be from manufacturing plants closing down to sanitize after employees inevitably get infected. Regional items like fresh meats that only travel a couple hundred miles will become sporadic to find. Other national items might just disappear for a while. Here in Canada there only 1 plant making Kraft Mac & Cheese. If they stop for a while, it will be noticed coast to coast. https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/a-single-factory-is-now-working-24-7-to-keep-kraft-dinner-on-grocery-shelves-1.4862199
Farming will take a massive hit this year. A lot of harvesting requires foreign workers. We’re seeing stories of milk being dumped, pigs being culled, because of lack of processing availability. What happens in the fall when all the crops need to come off and no one is there to pick them? Or no factory is there to process them?
The further out waves will be when frozen vegetable stockpiles run out, and the farm can’t get workers to harvest. Also a lot of produce is transported thousands of miles. Your now not just relying on your own countries ability to keep thing going, you’re also going to have to worry about their ability to produce the products and ship them timely. I think a lot of products will eventually be affected.

A few thoughts on your post.

The items you mention such as TP, flour, rice etc. which were replenished because they were warehoused - went out of stock in the first place precisely because they can be stored easily. They just need a dry place. Likewise frozen foods went out of stock as people filled their freezers, or even the new ones they bought. Usage has only risen to offset people not eating out anymore.

You say fresh meat only travels 100 miles or so - simply not true, or else the leg of NZ lamb I had last week was mislabelled.

The fact that Mac & Cheese could potentially not be available is hardly a major concern, rather an inconvenience. People will have to become accustomed to a lower range of products available - it is likely that there will not be the same consumer demand for 300 different varieties of breakfast cereal for example.

You say farming requires a lot of foreign workers. It only requires 'foreign workers' because people are generally too lazy to do the $h!tty jobs themselves, preferring to outsource cheap labour to those people who are willing to work at anything to earn money. The fact that there are so many people currently out of jobs, worried about their income - immediately provides a massive labour force who are able to fill these positions if they want/need to. It may not be peoples ideal job (but very few people work in their dream job - I wanted to be a chartered skipper, and still do, but you can't always get what you want) but it is still a job which is there and available.

I doubt very much that things will return to 'normal' in the near future, if at all. That may likely mean many businesses will simply cease to be viable - restaurants, bars, cinemas, are likely to be the first effected, but there will be increased demand in other areas - IT conferencing applications, online customer support, delivery drivers, etc..
How many people are working from home and actually finding it is possible to work efficiently that way, video conferences tend to be more concise and punctual and mean people from all over the world can be involved - no need to fly half way around the world if it's not needed.

Life will be different, there will be some people worse off, others better off, the main thing is that we are adaptable and will make things work.

#12544 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I appreciate the information. Not sure why you had to lead with an insult, but nonetheless, thanks. But to your point, if hospitals geared up, and are now generally not seeing patients, Covid or otherwise, why not open back up to elective surgeries?

Maybe because in the hospital I work in 12 of the 14 theatres have been stripped and converted in to makeshift ICU bays. We have been lucky that our normal capacity of ICU beds is 18, we had been able to get that up as high as 111. So far the max number of beds we have had occupied is 'only' 40ish - more than double our capacity if we hadn't made the changes.
It would have been even higher but for 2 reasons - Social distancing being adhered to, and the fact that patients are dying so quickly they're not taking up the beds.

The definition of elective surgeries is precisely that they are planned, they are not emergencies, patients will not die if they don't have the surgery. It may well be a discomfort to people who are awaiting surgery (myself included) but priorities need to be made.

There is also currently a lack in some areas of PPE, that is a lack of PPE even though the majority of planned surgery has stopped. There simply isn't enough PPE to cover elective and Covid.

You can't just restart elective surgeries at the drop of a hat.

#12810 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

and one of the countless by products of this crisis is more and more homeless people are camping out on Subways.

The number of homeless on the streets has actually gone down in the UK, due to hotels which are sitting empty being requisitioned for them.
Not only does it ensure they're safety from the usual $h!t they have to deal with being homeless, they are also able to effectively self-isolate.

FB_IMG_1588162638851 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1588162638851 (resized).jpg

Photo from my sister in Queens from the flyover

#12812 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

When you see a huge company like that suddenly having everyone work from home, it sends a strong message.

Ireland closed all of the pubs 2 days before St Patricks day - now THAT is a strong message.

#13037 3 years ago

If you're bored at home during lockdown, why not rearrange your bookshelf?

FB_IMG_1588666122299 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1588666122299 (resized).jpg

#13355 3 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

[quoted image]
Photo from my sister in Queens from the flyover

Now THIS is how you do a fly past!!
Celebrating 75 years since VE Day (Victory in Europe)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10223571830632224&id=1483928227&extid=W3BGy15xfZAKDXPk&d=null&vh=e

#13384 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

-----
Cuomo:
“We are finally ahead of this virus, for the first time, we have showed we can control the beast,”

The quote instantly reminded me of King Canute.

(Yes I know Canute didn't try to stop the tide, as is often mistakenly believed, rather that he was showing that even with all his power it was unstoppable)

#13635 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I find it hard to understand how some countries are hit a lot harder than others , ( percentage wise ) considering we have done the same things .

There are so many different variables to try and take in to account before trying to make a comparison: Population density being perhaps the most important, usual social practice when greeting people, prevalent working conditions, etc. etc.

trying to compare one country, or even one state with another is a pretty futile exercise.

#13839 3 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Make sure when you analyze data you are comparing apples to apples...just my 2 cents.

And you're comparing Hawaii to Australia or New Zealand!!

#14235 3 years ago
FB_IMG_1585558572356 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1585558572356 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#14756 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

When have you ever known a hospital not to be a rip off?

Pretty much every country outside of the US

1 week later
#15064 3 years ago

With the increased talk here about whether masks are effective, I thought I'd share these 2 images.

mask1 (resized).jpgmask1 (resized).jpgmasks (resized).jpgmasks (resized).jpg
#15075 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Notice Malasia dipped out of the circle "with masks", and Australia "without masks" is now down nearer the others. Even our initial curve there is way better than that of South Korea. This is data from mid March as well by the looks? . It is hard since the world was all in slightly different places at a given time with various changing trends, restrictions, situations and policies, but the way this graph is displayed helps that a little. Of course if the virus is prevalent in a community it makes sense to wear a mask in case you are a silent carrier.
Everyone in the world can not wear a mask though, there simply aren't enough of them to go around (unless you're making your own?), front line gets priority imho. There are many other angles to reduce transmission. There is no doubt wearing a mask mitigates transmission risk, in appropriate circumstances it is responsible to do that.

The 'time scale' is not from a certain date. It's different for each country, but the zero point is after the first recorded 100 cases per country. So date is irrelevant.

It's written right there on the chart.

If everyone did wear a mask the transmission, and thus infection rates would drop to virtually nothing very quickly.
There certainly could be enough masks, they don't have to be medical grade.
As for the frontline. The hospital I work in buying PPE is switching away from FFP3 masks and moving towards hoods for clinical staff.
As this is likely to continue longterm it will work out more cost efficient as well as freeing up FFP3 masks for other users. It just needs every other hospital to head this way and supply problem (and price gouging) is solved.

1 week later
#15281 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Or read them both, understand the motivation behind each one and get a pretty good idea of the actual news from the combined feed.
Or just read NPR

Or just get all your news from Pinside and memes. That seems to be the way forward

#15328 3 years ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

but it might look more left-leaning down in the USA....

At this time in the world, everything looks more left-leaning compared to the USA

#15514 3 years ago

A few points in response to some of the posts over the last week:

Why are so many people saying my country/state/county did better than yours?
It's not like anyone making those judgements had any factor in the decisions being made.

Why are people looking at death per capita figures now? This has a loooong way to go yet. It's like judging the results of a sports match after 30seconds.

"Flattening the curve" only reduces the deaths where the hospitals dont get overwhelmed, the total area under the curve (hence deaths) is likely to not significantly be changed. It's just whether the majority if people die at the start of the outbreak or later on.

That herd immunity can only be achieved once a vaccine is found (and 80% of the population take it) is just not factually correct. A vaccine 'tricks' the body into thinking that it has the full blown disease and this produces antibodies - exactly the same result as if the body had the 'naturally-occurring' disease.

I will predict that the number of deaths directly attributed to flu will be significantly lower over the coming years for a number of reasons.
The majority of those who would have succumbed to flu will already have succumbed to Covid.
The social distancing and hygiene regiments put in place to combat Covid will also slow the spread of flu, not just Covid.

#15587 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Said this before but I don’t think we can realistically expect all the susceptible population and their families/caretakers to shelter in place while everyone else carries on. It’s just too many people.
“In North America, 28% of the population, or 104 million people, had at least one underlying condition that put them at increased risk of developing severe Covid-19 if they caught the virus, according to the study.”
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/langlo/article/PIIS2214-109X(20)30264-3/fulltext

I've had to do an individual risk assessment on all of my staff in Theatres.
As well as all of the usual metrics such as diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease, asthma, etc.
Anyone male and over 55,
Anyone over 65,
Anyone from the BAME community

Are instantly classed as high risk,

Depending on their job role they are then redeployed, to a less risky area.

I'm guessing that will put the figure well over 28% of people at high risk.

#15594 3 years ago

Black, Asian, Minority Ethinc

#15612 3 years ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-53073046

Each and every country has a different way of reporting Covid related deaths.
A more important indicator would be how many more TOTAL reported deaths there have been - in relation to the average TOTAL expected deaths.

The link above points to those figures for a number of countries, and details the anomalies due to different areas being at different points of the spread, and figures for different time periods being used.

For those too lazy to click the link and read the data for themselves, some highlighted countries:

UK 43% more deaths than expected if Covid hadn't occurred.
Belgium 37%
France 25%
Ecuador 108%
Germany 4%
Italy 40%
Japan 0.3%
Netherlands 30%
Spain 50%
Sweden 24%
USA 16% it mentions that figures vary wildly amongst states, but doesn't give a breakdown.

South Africa 9% LOWER than expected. Possibly due to lockdown measures reducing crime?

As this plays out more, figures will come more inline with each other and comparisons will more readily be able to be made - until then people are trying to compare apples with oranges.

#15719 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I feel like that single doctor could also be confusing better treatments and earlier detection with a weakening virus.
For his statement to potentially be verified, we would need analyses of specific strains and the patients that had each. You know, science stuff.

But why bother with in-depth analysis when you can just make a half-arsed 'claim' and get your 15 minutes of fame and potentially enough funding to last for several years.
That seems to be what has been happening from day 1.

#15721 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Never be a cure for cancer, too big of a moneymaker!!

Do people really believe that people are holding back on a cure for cancer to make money?

Could it not be that there is no cure - and it is nature's way of killing people/animals.

Q: What happens IF a cure for Cancer, Alzheimer's, and every other disease known is found and everyone starts living longer and longer.
A: Something else will come along which we won't have seen before and start killing people. Sound familiar?

3 weeks later
#16897 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Seriously. The very people how hired you and you work for, won't listen to a word you have to say.

Every day of my working life

2 weeks later
#17636 3 years ago

On a more positive note - the first cat to contract coronavirus has fully recovered.

He's feline fine.

1 week later
#17882 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Tired of shaming the non-mask wearers? New shaming breakthrough on the neck gaiter wearers, studies show they are probably worse than wearing nothing.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/neck-gaiters-may-do-more-harm-than-not-wearing-a-mask-at-all-study-shows/

It's even worse than that. A direct quote - speaking about the droplets generated by wearing a specific gaiter

"They're really tiny, they're really invisible, they're buoyant, they don't fall to the ground, gravity doesn't act on them,"

If gravity doesn't act on them we are really screwed if the fundamental laws of physics no longer apply. It would also mean that every droplet EVER created would still be floating around forever.

#17897 3 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

[quoted image]

And one of them is Grumpy

#17970 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Forgot to add "mask"
I guess it didn't rhyme...

I always knew it as "Spectacles, testicles, wallet and phone". Althgough now a days I can't remember the last time I took any money or cards out of my phone, everything is contactless from my phone or watch. Wallet is carried round out of habit now.

3 weeks later
#18355 3 years ago
20200907_213646 (resized).jpg20200907_213646 (resized).jpg
#18442 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Taking words too literally... can be a cause for misunderstanding, too. Happens Much more than people care to admit.

This is just insane.

People not using words correctly is what causes misunderstanding, being deliberately obtuse or leaving room for interpretation is what causes misunderstanding, being vague leaves room for misunderstanding.

Using words correctly, by knowing what they mean, leads to clarity. Being able to construct a sentence with correct grammar, leads to clarity. Citing resources leads to clarity. Understanding the subject being spoken about, leads to clarity. Standing by your words, and being accountable for them, leads to clarity.

An example of a quote which isn't worth the paper it's written on, anything that starts with "They say...". Who the F are they? Anything that follows "They say" has been used a lot by 'he who shall not be named' amongst others. It's a kop out, a disclaimer, I want to say this for you all to think it was me, and has my weight of authority, but if it turns out to be wrong, or unpopular, I can say I only said "They said". It's like school girls gossiping.

Say what you mean, be clear with what you say, mean what you say. That would leave no room for misinterpretation.

#18543 3 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Has nothing to do with my gut. What I want to know is how the data is being collected. What standards are used for collecting it? Do they they test a person who had a heart attack? Do they count retested people as more positives? Most data is easy to change.
Want to see the real number of deaths? If Covid is really effecting us? Take the number of normal deaths from last year. Minus from what we have this year.

You mean something like this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-53073046

Posted here in June

Shows details of higher than average deaths for many countries, and the fact that the majority are UNDER reporting the deaths.

"The number of deaths in the United States has been 16% higher than average, with about 97,300 more people dying than usual.

Official Covid-19 deaths - 70,266
Other excess deaths - 26,986"

It doesn't appear that the article has been updated since then, but the trend is likely to remain.

Alternatively take a look at:

https://medium.com/swlh/misinformation-goes-viral-1aad951e4492

Which has been updated regularly debunking some of the misinformation and conspiracy theories STILL abounding. This does include up to date data.

2 weeks later
#18912 3 years ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54346001

THIS. This is why we are screwed, nothing to do with non-believers, or confusing messages, just that people don't give a $h!t about what the consequences of their actions are to others.

#18947 3 years ago

I think that the US is at a major fork in the road now.

If Trump only has minor, or no, symptoms - isolates than comes back and says "It was nothing too serious don't worry." That will then 'prove' to many people that there is nothing to worry about, distancing/mask wearing/isolation will reduce over night - infections will increase rapidly and many will die.

If Trump has significant issues, recovers and then comes back and says how bad it was, people need to take it seriously, etc. then I think more people will distance/mask wear/ isolate and therefore infections will drop.

If Trump dies of it - who knows?

2 months later
#20754 3 years ago

One for the 5G conspiracy theorists.

Since we started vaccinating people at the hospital I work, EVERYONE's phone reception has dropped off in work.
Is the vaccine fighting the 5G?

Of course it isn't, it's ridiculous to try and link the 2, but that's no more farfetched than some of the guff being spouted.

Back in the real world, I get my jab tomorrow morning.

#20783 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I know this sounds lazy, and yes, I know how to google. However, when people drop things like that, can you add a little starter link to a story about it? Thanks.

But why do that, when if you read the article, you'll soon be able to determine that either
a) the soundbite they have quoted is completely out of context or
b) the conclusion they have drawn is completely wrong.

This is likely the link in reference to 'potentially spreads a lot faster'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55312505

Nowhere does it say that there is any evidence the new strain spreads faster.
A direct quote is "There is no clear-cut evidence the new variant of coronavirus - which has been detected in south-east England - is able to transmit more easily, cause more serious symptoms or render the vaccine useless."
While not factually incorrect to say 'potentially spreads a lot faster" (as any statement with potentially won't be), just as true a statement would be "New strain of virus could potentially cause you to grow wings."

Might I suggest this link
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55308216
Detailing just how they have come up with the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine 'so quickly'. They actually had a workable vaccine on Jan 13th - just 2 days after receiving the DNA sequence of the C-19 virus (which didn't even have a name at that point), but has taken so long to get to actually vaccinating people due to testing and regulation.
It also details the difficulty in getting it financed and manufactured as "Oxford insisted that the vaccine should be affordable, which meant no profit for the pharmaceutical company. "Not usually the way big pharma works,""

Those in the UK can watch the hour long documentary Panorama on BBC iPlayer

2 weeks later
#21037 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

This virus Also seems to mutate weirdly.

The virus doesn't mutate weirdly at all, it mutates in exactly the same way that all viruses, and other replicating cells mutate.

Maybe not teaching Darwin in school is starting to come home to roost, with the lack of understanding of basic science being demonstrated by so many.

I suggest reading "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins to understand how life forms mutate and the random nature of evolution.
(He also 'created' the word meme)

#21113 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I believe they are doing this to prevent the swamping of their hospital system.

Remember back in February when we saw the pictures of hospitals in Spain and Italy unable to cope with the sheer number of patients? People dying in corridors, bodies needing to be stored in refrigerated trucks because the morgues are full?

That's what the new stricter measures brought in in the UK are trying to stop.

The number of infected people is rising rapidly, significantly more people are infected than in the first wave in March when we didn't know much about the virus. There is no excuse now for not following the guidelines, in fact if the guidelines had been followed from the start, we wouldn't have to endure such strict measures now.

Another factor to take in to account why the hospitals are much fuller now is that we have learnt how to treat this better than in March.
Typically back in March there was a worse than 50/50 chance of you surviving if you actually had to be admitted in to hospital, meaning that beds were constantly being freed up as the corpses instead went to the morgue.
Patients have a better chance of recovery now, and consequently spend longer in hospital and require more ICU staff and resources, that is why the hospitals are more likely to get overran now.

Currently we have 146 patients (of those 14 are in ICU)in my hospital being treated for Covid, more than back in March when all elective cases ground to a halt for us to deal with this. We are still running Emergency, Trauma, Cancer, T&O, Urology, Gynae, ENT lists, but are unlikely to be able to continue this for more than a week or 2, before we only be able to run Emergency and Trauma lists, as staff will be needed elsewhere.

It's easy to blame the government (whichever country you are in) for not having stricter measures, or any other reason, but realistically every single person needs to take personal responsibility for their actions. Rather than trying to bend and push the rules in place, why not take the view of limiting your own social contact without being told to. No one, NO ONE, NEEDS to go to a restaurant, NO ONE NEEDS to go on holiday, NO ONE NEEDS to go to a bar, get a grip people - and wear a mask.

#21125 3 years ago
FB_IMG_1609876141435 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1609876141435 (resized).jpg
#21182 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Longer term, we need to ensure this doesn't happen again, and that does mean addressing wildlife at wet markets, and wildlife restaurants. Many of these diseases derive from wildlife (e.g. starting with HIV from chimpanzee bushmeat in the 1970s). The WHO needs to be allowed to do its work at sites where this virus originated, for the sake of survival and quality of life of the human race- it is still not allowed to investigate in Wuhan. Imagine if the death rate had been 20% instead of 1% (as in the movie 'Contagion' [2011] about another coronavirus)? It may be next time. SARS1 was 2003, SARS2 (Covid) was 2019/20. When will the next pandemic be? SARS3 in 2030? The world is becoming more globalised every day, with pandemics one of the downsides of this, and I expect they could happen with increasing frequency. Hopefully only regionally if we can prepare.

Although the outbreak was deemed to have started around the Wuhan market, it is not now thought that the disease itself originated from animals kept there.
Rather that it was transmitted from an animal, probably bat, to a person elsewhere it then mutated further and was spread amongst other humans due to the very nature of close proximity of people in the market.
It could just as well have been initially spread at a football match or church.

There are many valid reasons for outlawing 'wet markets' but Covid isn't one of them.

#21288 3 years ago

A few screenshots from the daily report at the hospital I work. This is a relatively small hospital with less than 500 beds, and 18 designated ICU bays.

A few things to consider,
The MEDIAN average rate of patients currently in ICU is 55.
If you have to be admitted with Covid it's not a death sentence, nor is it 2%, (it's closer to 25%) but it is better than the first wave in March.
The average length of stay of patients is increasing, mainly due to better understanding of the treatments.
Despite the UK on target to vaccinate ALL over 50s, ALL clinically vulnerable, and ALL NHS frontline staff by the middle of February, being under almost full lockdown and effectively barring all travellers into the country without a negative test both before boarding and on landing - we estimate that not only are hospital admissions still rising, but they will continue to do so for another 4-6 weeks.
20210116_124545 (resized).jpg20210116_124545 (resized).jpg20210116_224251 (resized).jpg20210116_224251 (resized).jpg20210116_224325 (resized).jpg20210116_224325 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#21997 3 years ago
FB_IMG_1615841639578 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1615841639578 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#22274 2 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

These are some very interesting stories on getting vaccines. Has anyone else had both already? What are your experiences?

I've been Pfizer double vaccinated for a number of months now, due to working in the hospital.

First jab, no side effects at all. I explained to the nurse giving the jab that I had a phobia of needles, and she basically distracted me while talking about something else.

Second jab, I had a pain in my arm for a day or two. Mainly due to the fact that I knew the nurse giving me the jab, as our paths had crossed (Not particularly amicably) in the past. She rammed the needle in as if she was trying to puncture plate steel. Not all nurses are angels

#22330 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This is not good. I figured since I was vaccinated, that I could still get infected. But I thought dying was not supposed to be part of the package.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/14/health/breakthrough-infections-covid-vaccines-cdc/index.html
"About 5,800 people who have been vaccinated against coronavirus have become infected anyway, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tells CNN.
Some became seriously ill and 74 people died, the CDC said. It said 396 -- 7% -- of those who got infected after they were vaccinated required hospitalization.

That would equate to a 93% efficacy rate - of not requiring hospitalisation - once infected, and a 99% efficacy rate against death. Close to what had been found in the initial trials for everyone (infected of not) across the whole sample size.

Does it say out of the 396 who required hospitalisation how soon after their first, or 2nd, vaccination first they were admitted to hospital? Generally there isn't a significant boost in efficacy until 10-14 days after the first jab which then rises to 80%, followed by the higher efficacy 10-14 days after the 2nd jab.

3 weeks later
#22702 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, it looks like there might be a showdown in Florida over vaccination cards. Seems like Norwegian Cruise Lines wants all of those boarding its ships to be vaccinated and have something, like a vaccination card, to prove it.
NCL is talking of taking its ships somewhere other than Florida.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/norwegian-cruise-line-florida-vaccinations/index.html
"In Florida, your personal choice regarding vaccinations will be protected and no business or government entity will be able to deny you services based on your decision," DeSantis said."
----------------------------------------------------------
It will be interesting to see how this works out. Who will blink first? NCL or the Florida Gov.? Anybody want to place a bet?
I remember when Hurricane Katrina wiped out Biloxi, Mississippi and trashed all of the casino barges anchored to shore. At that time, the barges had been there about 10 years and Mississippi got to liking all of the cash the casinos were feeding to the state coffers.
After Katrina wiped out the casino barges, the casinos said they were not interested in rebuilding only to be stuck on barges. The casinos said that unless they could build on dry land they were leaving the state.
Well, it did not take the Mississippi powers-that-be very long to roll over and say, " Yes, Casino Masters. We love your money. You can build on dry land."

Easily solution to this.

Allow everyone on to the cruise without checking vaccination status - as per DeSantis.

As soon as out of his jurisdiction check for vaccination status. If you're unvaccinated you've got a long swim back to shore.

#22703 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Last fall my doctor told me he hadn't had a single flu case for the first time, due to masking.

Called it - 10 months ago

Quoted from WJxxxx:

I will predict that the number of deaths directly attributed to flu will be significantly lower over the coming years for a number of reasons.
The majority of those who would have succumbed to flu will already have succumbed to Covid.
The social distancing and hygiene regiments put in place to combat Covid will also slow the spread of flu, not just Covid.

1 week later
#22884 2 years ago

The UK decided very early on that they would stretch the time between 1st and 2nd jabs to 12 weeks. This wasn't done from a supply issue point of view, rather that it was more beneficial to have 2 people vaccinated immediately with their 1st jab rather than 1 person double vaccinated 4 weeks later and the other with no protection at all. This applied to both Pfizer and Astrazeneca vaccines.
There was a paper published, which I read through thoroughly, and was able to understand the statistics behind it (although it being so long ago, Dec 2020, I can't find the link).

Without trying to remember exact numbers, and thus write false information, the Vaccination committee came to the conclusion that the efficacy of the vaccine did not drop off significantly between 4 and 12 weeks. It was also suggested that there 'could' be a slight boost in efficacy with a 12 week gap as opposed to a 4 week gap.

It has since been found, by studying the infection rates, that their initial conclusions were correct.

It is strange to me that (from reading some of the above posts) individuals are free to choose when they are booking their 2nd jab or which vaccine it may be.
In the UK the date for your 2nd jab is booked when you receive your 1st jab. You basically are committing to the vaccine and date you will receive when you get your first.

We are now looking at trialling a 3rd booster jab this autumn.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57174733

3 weeks later
#23187 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It all reminds of disgraced TV preacher Jim Bakker

Are there any other kinds of TV preacher?

1 week later
#23245 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Very interesting fact that approximately 10% of those admitted to hospital were fully vaccinated. I'm not sure if that would be lower in countries where Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are more prevalent? I think Astra Zeneca was the main vaccine used in the UK. I will be watching the UK situation closely. Please keep the updates coming. Thanks.

Pfizer was the main vaccine used, especially at the start of the rollout as it was the first approved, later on it has been Astrazeneca, due to the ease of storage. I don't have the split of usage.

10% hospitalised equates to 90% efficacy - far and above what the majority of similar vaccines can achieve.

Though the 10% hospitalised doesn't come close to telling the whole story.

Of the patients in my hospital only 20% of positive patients are currently actually in ICU, the other 80% are on wards, and there have been no fatalities of people fully vaccinated.

#23261 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

This is interesting, although outdated from about a month ago

I'm not sure how you think that it's a month out of date?

I've literally taken it from the LIVE hospital data I have access to.

#23323 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Today's UK cases are 22,868, so the exponential increase is back on. Interestingly, no significant increase in deaths, which is something at least (people in their 20s don't die of Covid much). But today, despite these case figures, and other countries now banning or requiring quarantine of UK visitors, our glorious leader announces "People in England are "very likely" to be able to return to "pretty much life before Covid" on 19 July, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57630553
I won't express my thoughts about this factual incongruity and the caliber of the individual concerned...
But wait, there's more. The new Health Minister just appointed yesterday is ex-JP Morgan and very 'pro-business' and wants the few remaining social restrictions (far from being a lockdown) to end ASAP (presumably why Boris chose him, as he is a banker not a scientist, and has zero medical or healthcare experience).
You couldn't make this omnishambles up. What could possibly go wrong...? Probably best to avoid Covid Island for a while.

The pertinent point in what you say is no significant rise in deaths. If vaccinated people aren't dying, as we are already at 90% (and 60% double jabbed) there isn't the same urgency to have lockdown restrictions.
It's also virtually useless trying to have a complete quarantine of people entering the UK, and it was said that closing all borders completely at the start of the breakout would have only delayed the virus progress by 3 days. With the amount of global travel, and people unable/unwilling to follow isolation rules it is a certainty that Delta (plus Epsilon - Omega) variant will eventually reach all civilised parts of the world. The places where this will be a problem is those that haven't had a good uptake of the vaccine when it hits them. Rather than waiting for it to reach them and then rushing to get vaccinated.

There hasn't been a huge increase in hospitalisations amongst vaccinated people, so little to no chance of the NHS being overwhelmed.

Come July 19th, when/if everything opens up there will be a large rise in infections, but that won't cause a large increase in hospitalisations or deaths.

I still think a large number of people will choose to wear face masks, but it won't be mandatory in the most places.

1 week later
#23467 2 years ago

Can you imagine just how useful it would be if getting the vaccine did actual make you magnetic?
No more dropping screws down tiny crevices as you try and work on your machine.

20210710_225112 (resized).jpg20210710_225112 (resized).jpg
#23492 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Up, up and away! Once social distancing laws are revoked on 19th July (and already effectively happened with Wimbledon, Euro 2020 etc), it's predicted UK daily cases will exceed 100,000 peak. Apparently lockdown and social distancing aren't needed anymore. The PM hopes people will wear masks where necessary, but it is no longer a legal requirement. I'm sure everyone will behave well, as the Euro 2020 final illustrated...
Imagine millions of people shaking their heads and rolling their eyes in incredulity. That's the British public, that is.
[quoted image]

Absolutely no doubt that cases of infections are rising, but hospitalisations and fatalities just aren't there.

Below are live figures from the hospital I work in.

Discharge (resized).pngDischarge (resized).pngadmissions (resized).pngadmissions (resized).png

1 week later
#23690 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm not sure I've heard of a confirmed case of someone who got the vaccine dying of COVID - or even being hospitalized due to COVID. That would mean they do, in fact, work.

Unfortunately it does happen, although significantly less so.

Just because you are young, fit and healthy does not mean that you are going to become seriously ill WHEN you come in to contact with the virus.
Currently in our ICU we have an 18yr old girl on mechanical ventilation. She tested positive just before her 18th birthday, but still decided to go ahead and have her party.
Who knows how many of the guests she passed it on to, or they in turn passed it on to more vulnerable friends and relatives.

It is a clear indication as to why I am not suited to be a clinician, as I would flatly refuse to treat her for such arrogance and stupidity.

2 weeks later
#24185 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

So you beat covid but your dick falls off ?

No, They beat your dick, and Covid falls off.

#24186 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Dr. I hereby award you the Godwin’s Law appreciation award. [quoted image]

Does that now mean that this thread can be closed?

It has been going round and round in circles recently.

At this point,
Those that don't want the vaccine aren't going to have their minds changed
Those that don't want to wear masks aren't going to have their minds changed
Those that do wear masks are likely to continue to do so.
Those that have been vaccinated will have their 2nd if they haven't and likely the booster when it comes.

I have not seen any evidence recently of anybody's mind being changed, nor any meaningful discussion

#24343 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/world/covid-19-iceland-deals-with-growing-delta-problem/#ath
Iceland is experiencing its worst Covid-19 pandemic outbreak.
That's despite near-total vaccination levels. And what Delta's doing there may now be a sign of things to come for others.
Some 96 per cent of all Icelandic women over 16 have received at least one vaccine dose. The figure for men is about 90 per cent. In total, 86 per cent of the population has been fully vaccinated.
Now, the sparsely populated island has more than 1590 active cases. About 20 are in hospital, with a quarter of those in intensive care. While that doesn't sound like many, in such a small country even that number puts a strain on its healthcare resources.
But the study found the same levels of Covid Delta virus living in the noses and throats of both the vaccinated and unvaccinated.

It also states in the very same article
"But, last week, the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the US published a new case study of a Delta outbreak in Provincetown, Massachusetts.

It prompted the CDC to advise even fully vaccinated people to continue wearing masks.

About 75 per cent of those who contracted Delta in that town were fully vaccinated. About 470 cases were detected. Five were hospitalised. None died."

To me that's 100% efficacy.

#24472 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Go into hospital for a heart attack, but you get a vasectomy. Hey, at least they did something.

If getting a vasectomy stops the 'stupid gene' being passed to the next generation it has to be a positive

Quoted from ZombieKing:

No one knows my personal health situation better than me. Thus, no one can make more informed choices about my health care than me

This is only true if you are a qualified clinician

#24545 2 years ago
Quoted from No_Skill:

I've read about this effect before. Basically when you are uneducated you believe you know all you need to know and are always right. When you begin to dive into higher education, you start to realize just how much there is to learn and that there are many more people who know more than you. Finally, when you get to the PhD level you believe since you are an expert in one field, you must know more than most about all fields.

When a medical student starts their journey they learn a little about everything,
as they choose a speciality they learn a little more about that area, and less about other areas,
this continues until through their career - learning more and more about an ever diminishing area.

Until they end up knowing everything about nothing.

Know that even if you are the no.1 expert in your field, that is what your knowledge is in. leave it to the experts in their field to give their opinions

FB (resized).jpgFB (resized).jpg
#24558 2 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

My point is but there are other countries (Russia, China and Iran) that are tainting the news from these sources to misinform, manipulate and confuse people on Covid and the Vaccines

You missed USA from that list of countries

2 weeks later
#25452 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

This is real world data: The masks are not stopping the spread.

NEVER has it been said by any authority that masks stop the spread, NEVER.

What they do say, and have proven real world data, is that they significantly REDUCE the spread of the virus from your mouth/nose in to the air, they also, to a lesser degree, REDUCE the viral load that you breath in once it is in the air.

Stop sounding like a broken record, spouting the same nonsense.

PS. I've been offline for over a week and have just been catching up with the last 9 pages or so. I actually had a pop up that I was abusing the downvoting system, by downvoting you too many times in a short period! I'll have to make sure I get online more regularly to keep up.

#25495 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/12/201222132057.htm
There you go.
In the article, it says the masks reduce the droplets, but enough droplets still get out to make people sick. So since enough virus is still getting past the mask…how does it reduce the spread? Answer: it doesn’t.
The only mask to use is the N95, otherwise, it’s like we aren’t wearing anything at all.
At the end of the article, it mentions that in real world scenarios, the masks are even that less effective.
Believe what you want. I honestly don’t care. At the end of the day, the FDA even admits that the masks we all wear don’t work.
The constant downvotes by the same people show a true level of immaturity.
Do I care? Nope.
If I met some of you in person, I’m more than certain we wouldn’t get along.

I don't know how well known Blackadder is in the US, but this clip is particularly apt in trying to explain that:
some virus minus some virus (blocked by mask) = some virus.

#25496 2 years ago

Some facts I have picked up from working in theatres for over 10years.

FFP3 (N-95 equivalent) are only guaranteed 100% effective if you have been properly fit smell/taste tested. They will not work if you are not clean shaven, there needs to be a complete seal between the face and mask.

Theatre staff wear masks to protect the patient, not themselves. The patient doesn't wear a mask while anaesthetised. They also vastly reduce risk of infection in all cases.

Handwashing is not a quick run under the taps with a bit of soap to get your hands wet. All staff have annual training and testing on handwashing. A UV reactive cream is smeared on hands, then you wash them, then you put your hands under UV light to see if you've missed any. (similar to the tablets you chew to check you've brushed your teeth properly.

Wearing gloves absolutely everywhere is completely pointless, from an infection point of view.

Donning sterile gloves also needs training to be done properly and guarantee sterility.

A significant percentage of the public, and Pinside it seems, simply do not get any of the above as it's not been written on FaceBook.

1 week later
#25812 2 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

But was she vaccinated?

She was definitely jabbed

#25813 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

This is an absolutely bat-shit crazy comment, just wow.

I think bat-shit crazy is far in the rear view mirror.

#25920 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

N95 masks and wait for the next review?
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"95477d038c8be51b1f78d0c009bdcfcc363af8c2-1631954623-1800"};
//]]>

Honestly a whole lot of nothing different for my family. Really would be nice if health care workers were on the invite list, but maybe next time.

In the UK, its just been approved that Pfizer booster jab can be rolled out to
Over 50s
High risk
AND front line health care workers.

I'll be getting my 3rd jab as soon as possible, due to working in Theatres

#25960 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Also they are using a completely false number. Try as I might, I cannot find a way to massage/misrepresent the numbers in any way that remotely approached this bogus number. I mean, in California alone (table provided below from California health dept website) there have been 35 kids under 17 that have died out of approx 628,000 cases. 1050+ more dead out of 1.4 million cases in the 18–34 age group.
So unless they think there are about half a billion extra kids in the USA out there and they ALL have already had covid…I don’t get it.
Also, I might add that death isn’t everything. There is potential for some disturbing long term brain and lung issues. Also potential link to mis-c.
If we are just making up numbers, I would like a few extra zeros added to the end of my top scores and my bank account too please (preferably before the .)
[quoted image]

This post is about the data (not the OP, or even the associated words), and the way it is presented, as there are many, many different examples of this. It just so happens that I saw this one when I had 10 minutes to address it.

As someone who studied stats at Uni, it absolutely winds me up when data is presented in ways that make it hard to get an instant 'feeling' of what's happening for the average person. Changing data ranges, different scales on different graphs but trying to compare them, vertical axis not starting from zero. All of which can (and are) used to manipulate the data to steer towards certain conclusions.
Screenshot 2021-09-22 143038 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-09-22 143038 (resized).png
To that end I have taken the data from the table presented, and put it in to variable width bar charts. For those not familiar with these charts - it is the AREA, not the height which of the bars which represent the number quoted.
Cases (resized).pngCases (resized).pngDeaths (resized).pngDeaths (resized).png

Despite my best efforts, there simply isn't a linear scale which can represent both 10 & 25,552 accurately, so please allow me a little leeway in the scale.
I also made the assumption that the 80+ range was actually 80-99. Had I chosen the range to be 80-1,000 I myself could have manipulated the chart to make it look like something else was happening.

Now you anyone can draw their own conclusions from these 2 graphs, but at least they are now presented in a way that makes it easier to draw those conclusions - or challenge them if necessary.

Or can you draw meaningful conclusions?

Even the data used isn't great.
Where it says "no. of cases" is that the no. of cases ever recorded in that that age group or the no. of active cases on Sept 15th in that age group?
Likewise no. of deaths - is it total no. of deaths in that age range, or within a specific period.
If it's total deaths and active cases - the percentages are completely meaningless.

What do we conclude from the age being missing in 2,519 cases? Is it that the data collection was shoddy? What else has been missed, or misrepresented?

You can gain very little from a glance at a table, or graph unless you understand the way the data has been compiled, and how it is being presented. That's if you trust the data used in the first place.

The phrase 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.', attributed to many different people, depending on which source you believe, has never been more true.

#26059 2 years ago

"So we get what we had here last week. Which is the way he wants it."

Stop feeding the troll, NOBODY can be this dense and still able to type this himself.

1 week later
#26104 2 years ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

When vaxxed people catch a Covid variant, they can transmit it as easily as a vaxxed person, so at that one specific point, there’s little difference

Except even here there is a difference. By being vaccinated your body doesn't allow the virus to multiply as quickly so there is less viral load to actually transmit.

#26159 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Where are the news reports of people getting sick there?

Where are the news reports of me setting a GC on my pinball last night?

No reporting of anything does not prove it didn't happen.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I can't go through your whole post. So much nonsense. Not looking to waste my time.

If you can't even be bothered to read a polite counter-argument or discussion can you really expect anyone else to read what you have to say?

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

But having kids learning remotely is a real shitty take.

If that's what you think is best for children, then I feel really bad for you.

Nowhere in PinballNewb 's post you are replying to do they mention home schooling.
Exactly the same argument as this:
But adding arsenic to your breakfast is a really stupid thing to do. If that's what you think is best for children, then I feel really bad for you.

#26185 2 years ago

So his 'religious beliefs' weren't really that strong when it came to the alternative, a loss of nearly $16million

Screenshot 2021-10-06 161555 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-10-06 161555 (resized).png

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/nba/opinion-andrew-wiggins-covid-19-vaccine-1.6192770

#26186 2 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I was curious if anyone has reported numbers of people contracting Covid at pinball shows. The York Show is coming up and the pinside thread says "no Covid talk", so I thought I would ask here. Does anyone know the numbers from past shows and how they get reported, if they get reported at all.

I haven't seen anything reported either.

The first 2 shows held in the UK - Pinfest (over 400 attendees) and Critical hit (53 attendees).

I knew ALL of the people at Critical hit, and a large percentage at Pinfest - there was no outbreak following these comps reported.

There are huge differences between countries, and even regions, on the uptake of vaccines and the seriousness in which people take the Covid. Every single person I spoke to said that they had been taking lateral flow tests leading up to attending - a number when testing positive didn't attend and were fully refunded, not just for their show entry but comp fees along with hotel fees. The UK also has a very high percentage of people who are double vaccinated.

That does not mean that there won't be at whatever show you choose to attend. It only takes a single person to attend who is positive and not follow masking or social distancing guidelines and they can spread it to lots of people.

I'm choosing not to travel to European comps at the moment as I don't know what the situation 'on the ground' is over there as well as I do in the UK.
There's also the added hurdles (and associated costs) of testing and isolation.
A number of people I know are attending a major weekend of comps in Germany this weekend, so hopefully I'll get more information then.
Based not only on this thread, but what I know from my sister in NYC and other friends I won't be travelling to the US in the foreseeable future.

#26235 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It is still 90% effective against hospitalization and severe illness. I will be happy to have a booster when it is recommended for my age group and health status though.
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-10-07/studies-show-power-of-pfizer-vaccine-starts-to-wane-after-two-months

I got my booster last weekend.

I was eligible because I work for the NHS front line, AND it was over 6 months after my 2nd dose.
Suggesting to me at least that there is no reduction in effectiveness for serious illness for at least 6months.

The original brief statement is deliberately vague and misleading, without source and should be treated with the disdain it deserves.

3 weeks later
#26553 2 years ago

What exactly are the rules regarding mask wearing at Expo?

"Dammit I'm taking off my mask - I', seeing a lot of people not wearing one. I just didn't want to be the only one"

"Think I'm starting to get some dirty looks from people if I'm not wearing my mask - I'm from Texas"

"That's what I need to do, I just need to have a drink in my hand at all times, that way I can have my mask down, as I'm drinking."

If the rules are you must be wearing a mask - wear a f@#$ing mask instead of thinking how clever you are for not wearing one.

1 week later
#26840 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I’m sure this will annoy a lot of people on here.

I'm more sure that the vast majority of people on here don't have the same fixation on masks and marathons as you do - therefore it won't actually annoy anyone, let alone a lot.

#26869 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Second note: when people say “we got rid of smallpox, why not this?” That is saying we can eradicate it.

It quite literally DOES NOT say that we can eradicate it - it is asking why Covid can't be eradicated.

This may go some way to understand the issues you have in comprehension if you don't even understand what it is you are typing.

1 week later
#27074 2 years ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

To the thread at large.
What are you going to say to the autistic non verbal child who had their mask taped to their head.
What are you going to say to the scores of people who lost loved ones whom committed suicide because of the lockdowns who didn't get to see a loved one or interact with others.
Who already had struggles and it pushed them over.
What about the untold domestic abuse that went on during the lockdown because someone was confined.
What do you say to them.
What makes a concert different than a Sturgis rally you should mask up at the rally but what at a concert does the virus go away.
If this was so urgent then why do mandates take affect after three days at 10 or 12 pm, is the virus only deadly after midnight (sush don't feed it after midnight).
A pinball machine alone can only do so much, but does it get lonely playing alone? what about laughing, the scores, competition and sisterhood and brotherhood.
People are social human beings, the internet doesn't really replace that intimacy or connection with another Human being.
A twitch stream doesn't fill a Human desire for connection really.
We either follow the real science or we screw this up big time and the person who leading the charge right now failed on the AIDS epidemic. I'll take my trust somewhere else.

What are you going to say to all of the people who died from Covid because of other peoples failure to follow simple hygiene rules?
What are you going to say to all of the people who died from Covid because of other peoples failure to isolate?
What are you going to say to all of the people who died from Covid because of other peoples failure to get vaccinated?

Absolutely nothing because they're dead.

#27075 2 years ago

Reading all of the comments regarding this state is worse than that state, my state did this, etc. etc.

I think the USA needs to be renamed SA.

But to comment on Florida specifically - the fact that it is significantly warmer than the majority of other states, means that people spend more time outside thus less likely to spread Covid - I would expect Florida to fair much better over the winter than other more Northerly states

#27160 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

A vaccine is supposed to stop the spread and prevent illness neither of which the mRNA experimental “vaccine” does. It’s a therapeutic nothing more.

A vaccine is supposed to REDUCE the spread and prevent SERIOUS illness BOTH of which the mRNA vaccine does.

There you go, fixed that for you.

3 weeks later
#27838 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Talking of maths, could Trekkie become the most downvoted Pinsider ever? He then needs to reflect upon why this may be.

I think Andy Heighway has the record for most downvoted single post - was well over 300 IIRC

#27839 2 years ago

(I can't figure out how to post the pics in between the text where I want, but hopefully you should be able to follow)

The following is unfiltered direct data from the hospital I work in - not government/media filtered scaremongering just hard data, from Walsall.
IMAGE 1

What I take from this graph:

Up until April of this year there was a clear 2 week lag between community infection and hospitalisation.
If the virus was rising in the community it was guaranteed to result in increased admissions in to hospital.

Seeing as we were all told not to mix at Christmas and were meant to be working from home, and as good as isolating, it is clear from the massive surge shortly following Dec 24th that a huge amount of people ignored the government advice and instruction - what else is there to explain the massive spike?

As weather warmed up and people spent more time outside the infection rate dropped.

From June - community infection rates started to climb significantly. This is shortly after Delta became the most prevalent variant in the area.
I suspect that it is also around the time that people started to think that we 'had beaten Covid' and could return to normal, mask wearing reduced, hand washing reduced and increased social activity, as restrictions were lifted in regard to pubs opening, mass events reopening.

Hospitalisations did not increase at the same rate as previously.
This is likely to be a combination of Delta not being as serious as Beta - and most importantly the number of people vaccinated, meaning that even if they did contract Covid, they did not need hospitalising (which is pretty much the point of the vaccine).

From October the percentage of infection/hospitalisation is starting to creep up - likely to be the waning of the effectiveness of the initial vaccine.

From the start of Dec there is a clear uptick in community infections - likely Omicron. There is sure to follow an increase in hospital admissions - the question is by how much? We won't be able to make a significant judgement on the seriousness of Omicron until between Xmas and New Year. Do you really want to wait until then before deciding whether to get a booster or to reduce socialising over the Christmas period? It will be too late to do anything if Omicron turns out to be anywhere near as serious as Delta.

IMAGE 2

The above shows the age of patients who have presented at hospital with Covid symptoms.
Purple - meant that they weren't admitted and could manage their symptoms from home.
Green - they had to be admitted, but subsequently recovered enough to have been sent home to complete their rehabilitation.
Red - they left in a body bag.

Although it is clear from this that the older you are the more likely you would have to have had severe enough symptoms to have to come to hospital to be assessed , there are still a significant number of younger age groups who have been severely affected.

IMAGE 3

This is the same data as the previous graph, but presented slightly differently. Making it easier to assess the outcome of each patient by age.

For someone aged between 50-54 who has to come to hospital there is a 8.1% chance of them dying. To put that in a different way, that is roughly a 13 to 1 shot of dying. To try and put that in to perspective - I won a bet last night of 14 to 1 for Alexander-Arnold to score from outside the penalty area!
These figures rise rapidly the older you get, or if you have any underlying issues.

I simply cannot understand - after almost 2 years - how people can claim such things as "it's no worse than a common cold" , "vaccines don't work" , "it's not that bad" , "it's a conspiracy" , do not understand simple maths, put the same weight from a YouTube video as they do a briefing from the Chief Medical Officer, or simply try and deflect and blame the government.

It shouldn't need an enforced lockdown, it shouldn't need constant reinforcing of the need for vaccines and booster jabs, but quite clearly it does.

Go and get whatever jab you need to get up to date, whether that be your first, second or third, wear a mask in enclosed public spaces, wash your hands and stop trying to apportion blame or claim entitlement to the freedoms that being part of a society brings you in the first place.

admissions (resized).pngadmissions (resized).pngoutcome (resized).pngoutcome (resized).pngoutcome 2 (resized).pngoutcome 2 (resized).png
1 month later
#28713 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Omicron in NJ is quickly burning itself out.

Seeing exactly the same here in Walsall - hospitalisations are still rising though not going to get anywhere near previous levels.

Covid (resized).pngCovid (resized).png
#28731 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

"Her son, Jan Rek, said she got infected on purpose when he and his father had the virus, so she could get a recovery pass to access certain venues."
!!!!! GOT INFECTED ON PURPOSE !!!!! SHE WANTED TO BE ABLE TO GET INTO VENUES THAT BLOCKED HER BECAUSE SHE WAS UNVACCINATED!
She deliberately chose to get Covid over getting vaccinated for Covid... I guess she won't be getting access to those venues after all.

Darwin Award winner this year without fail

#28745 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

If restrictions are useful, then how did NY reach record highs with the omicron wave?

With your constant passive/aggressive questions about NY & NJ it is clear this is just trolling now.

Please stop, it's becoming more than a little boring.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wjxxxx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=wjxxxx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.