272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider titanpenguin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#143 4 years ago

I think a lot of us need to take a step back and put our logical thinking caps on. A few of the things we know for fact without going into any virology or stats:

-The virus first appeared in November in China

-Started to spread out of hand in December in China.

-No quarantine in China until end of December/January

-WHO even reported in Jan that the virus was not contagious.

Guys, the virus didn’t just magically appear in the US, nor anywhere, just last week. It’s been festering since at least the end of December worldwide. Yes, the virus is contagious. We all need to realize that we are not seeing it spread near the rate some of you and the media are subscribing too. The wuhan flu has a 3 month head start on us. Everything being done is a knee jerk response in believing that the virus just got here and can be contained. We are way too late for that.

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Besides the elderly, another high risk group will be younger, normally healthy healthcare workers that will be working long hours, past the point where they are tired, treating people that are ill from this.

Yup. They are exposed multiple times over from multiple sources. Being exhausted will only make it worse.

#557 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

The more we learn, the more I think it was here longer than we thought, before Wuhan became widely known. I am really beginning to think both of us had it in early Feb. I had the mild symptoms that lasted a few days, and the wife had it bad, could barely breath, was wheezing, couldn't get her to go to the doctor...lasted for 2-3 weeks. I was convinced we did not have the same thing, even then. Of course we just assumed she had the flu and I a cold..and maybe it was. My grandmother said she got something bad recently, and they said it wasn't flu but they didn't know what it was (didn't test her for corona). Who knows...

Glad you are finally starting to realize that this virus has a 3 month head start on us.

#589 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

4 US states are lagging on taking strong action on the coronavirus — including Texas, the second-largest state in the country.
https://www.businessinsider.com/texas-idaho-missouri-nebraska-covid-19-responses-2020-3
[quoted image]
" Texas, which has a population of nearly 29 million and is the second-largest state in the country, hasn't yet closed schools, bars, or restaurants in the state, or forcibly limited the size of gatherings and groups...
" At a press conference over the weekend, Abbott said he believed individual city governments would make the best decisions for their communities on decisions like closing schools and limiting bar and restaurant services.
But as the Texas Tribune reported, some experts have warned that such "patchwork" policies that allow various practices across the state can lead to confusion.
It "makes people feel that they don't really know what's going on and that the people who are in charge don't really know what's going on," Mary Bassett, director of the François-Xavier Bagnoud Center for Health and Human Rights at Harvard University, told the Texas Tribune."
===================
There are 3 others states mentioned in the article. It is not just Texas.

Umm, the state is shut down. Everything is closed with little exception.

#592 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Karate class today for my son via Skype.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

My son and I just got home from PE class. Did a playground workout for back and walked to and from. Gotta do something!

#596 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Large cities and metro areas have been closed for a week or more now. Most other places we're following suit, but some of the rural areas we're trying to hold back.

We went on spring break March 6th. My kids have not been in school since. Technically Texas (DFW anyway) was a week ahead of most places when it comes to social distancing, so those saying we ain’t doing enough can suck it.

#692 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

End of January, the federal government, the media, and america were in the middle of an impeachment hearing. There were four senators who paid attention, though. Their response was to sell their stocks. Yay! They don’t represent us. They represent their campaign donors....

But...but...the media is our hero......

None of us will ever forget what was more important to the media and congress from December 2019-March 9, 2020. It’s the reason we are where we are right now. Some in power tried to bring attention to the real issue at hand and even pass some legislation, including travel restrictions to and from China, back in the end of January.

#809 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Good thing the corona threads were consolidated to keep the politics talk in check.

Pretty sure this thread is a free for all, just like the virus. If it stays in here and doesn’t spill over to other threads, I could care less. We can’t meet up any more to vent, and I think the mods gave us this. In the end, we are all pinball people. I’d still buy any one in here a beer. As long as your 21 that is. LOL

#1141 4 years ago
#1179 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah we all know about this miracle cure now. More snake oil designed to distract by people who are desperate to deliver some good news to the American public. There is no magic carpet that’s going to whisk us away from this crisis “soon”. STAY HOME.

Did you read the published study from 2005 at all? This is not some “miracle” cure. It’s been know to be effective for 15 years.

#1181 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

It isn't going to happen this year. Sad but just reality.
Unfair for Tokyo and Japan. I hope they are allowed to postpone them and do them next summer or fall.
Would be a great healing time and celebration for the world if by that time we have a vaccine and have been able to out all of this behind us.

USA swimming has already submitted for a one year postponement.

#1182 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

[quoted image]

The same WHO who said it was not a pandemic? The same WHO that said there were no cases of human to human transmission?

#1188 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

[quoted image][quoted image]

The first quote itself is patently false. The study I provided a link to specifically investigates its use to treat the coronavirus if you bothered to read it.

#1192 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Tin foil hats also don’t cure the virus.

It will protect your head from those acorns falling though!

#1194 4 years ago

VOX is a tabloid, not a scientific journal

#1203 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

It did not. It was a study that showed it killed the virus in a cell culture. That is not the same thing at all.

You do realize this is how new drugs are tested for effectiveness before human trials?

#1671 4 years ago

Just a thought. How bad are countries that deal with malaria getting hit with COVID-19?

#1690 4 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Hard to tell because of their isolation from where the disease originated from.

Thailand, Singapore and Vietnam are top travel destinations in addition to the US, South Korea and Italy. So how are the first three fairing? Those are in malaria hot spots.

#1716 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Singapore is doing Excellent, same as South Korea. From the past experiences with other Viruses, everyone was well stocked with masks, and they locked down really early.
This is the lesson to be learned. A 2-3 month supply of Masks per person, and more people can go out.
You cant go out without one, in most all urban areas. $30-$50 per person, for a 3 month supply.
On top of that they have the highest health care, at the lowest cost...roughly 1/3 ours.
Its a great model to use or adapt to fix our issues here in healthcare.

I wouldn’t call a strict quarantine process healthcare. But it works.

#1723 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Their General Healthcare plan per person costs $3500, US Costs around $10,200.
A lot can be learned.
Quarantine, when first discovered, is the best defense by the numbers you can easily see.

Wait till they have the same level of seniors we do. It changes things.

The big take away from your thoughts is quarantine works when applied properly. Something the ACLU would have a fit over.

#1987 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I've been interested how little coverage there is of India. At least in the US media, the international COVID19 coverage seems largely focused on East Asia and Europe. India's got the population and population density issues of China, but more crushing poverty, and a much weaker national government (hard to compete with China on centralized control, of course, for better and for worse). Seems like it will hit India very hard, if it isn't already, though the younger population might help keep the death rate down.

They also deal with malaria, and use the one of the drugs currently being used to treat the virus as a prophylaxis to prevent malaria. But, India is not a real travel hot spot for China so there is also that. Not sure how many people from India visit China though. A good friend of mine has been to China several times, but he lives in the US full time now, not India.

#1988 4 years ago

anddd the olympics are now postponed

#2007 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yeah, I thought that one was a bit off the mark too. He was trying to be funny, but it's probably not the best time to be sharing lavish living.

he's actually probably just trying to be funny. and he is known cigar aficionado. At least he is not out hoarding like so many others.

#2008 4 years ago

every man needs a hummer! (pun intended for those about to have their heads explode about owning an H1)

#2025 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Must've teamed up with Madonna, as she basically did the same thing, posting from her tub...

Or he is poking fun. He is a known jokester.

#2027 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Wasn't his an original one ? Or is the red one electric?

He had an original way back when. His red one was converted. With the geared hubs I bet his converted one is torque monster. Effectively doubles the torque to the wheel.

#2050 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

[quoted image]

Hope you got a chain saw and a boom stick

#2054 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

DeSantis says New Yorkers are fleeing to Florida.

I’m sure they are. That’s why the virus will continue to spread.

#2064 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah I think I may head down. Sunshine, packed beaches, my elderly parents...sounds like a paradise!
This just in; touting “cures” that are unproven and unapproved for covid has serious unintended consequences. Let’s try to do this right, folks. Let the doctors and scientists tell us what works.
I hope Costanza can get his Lupus medicine!
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/lifesaving-lupus-drug-short-supply-after-trump-touts-possible-coronavirus-n1166981

You mean like the media causing mass hysteria and panic buying?

#2070 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No, I don’t mean that.
Love the media. God bless them.

According to you, I am not a bright individual.

So please excuse me, but I can’t see the difference in panic buying a potentially beneficial medicine vs supplies based on media reports...its almost like you are promoting a double standard based on political beliefs.....

#2074 4 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

They are flocking to their second homes up here in Vermont. At the end of last week they made up for more than half of the cases in our state... I mean its too late now but that's how it spreads

Exactly.

#2076 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This raises an interesting question; can you be moderated for insulting yourself?

I drink in moderation.

#2088 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I believe the Dr in this thread, explained you have to take in small dose over a few days, otherwise it can lethal.

Yup. An lethal overdose of any drug is fatal.

#2089 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

We didn’t call Ebola “the African virus”.
We didn’t call Mad Cow disease “the British virus”.
We don’t call measles “the European virus”.

You mean German measles?

#2110 4 years ago

Targeted restrictions make sense, if people actually follow them. The problem is people have already demonstrated they won’t even follow simple guidelines.

#2119 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/man-dies-after-ingesting-chloroquine-attempt-prevent-coronavirus-n1167166
This is just sad and EXACTLY why medical professionals are trying to tamp down the hysteria over this drug.
Please people, there's a reason we train for 7-12 years AFTER college.

This is more simply people who don’t follow directions. The drug has historically been available for those traveling to areas where malaria is present. It comes with specific directions on how to use it. I’m betting people ordered it from outside the country in directions other than English.

#2124 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Also, I am betting they didn't utilize a physician to help them. Just a hunch, but I'm a smart guy.

You sure are.

#2126 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

According to the article they used some preparation that is used in fish tanks? God only knows what dosage was in that preparation.

Yeah. Not smart. Probably specifically said not for human consumption on the bottle as well.

#2128 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Also, I am betting they didn't utilize a physician to help them. Just a hunch, but I'm a smart guy.

B638E80A-B6B7-4955-A96A-8A8EB1B71247.gifB638E80A-B6B7-4955-A96A-8A8EB1B71247.gif
#2131 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I was throwing shade at someone else with that comment, you may not have gotten the joke. The clues were:
Hunch and Smart Guy

I got it. But couldn’t resist after reading your comment thinking about that episode. “I’m Jerry Smith!”

#2135 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

But keep it coming, I enjoy the attention!
Plus I am bored.

As are all of us.

#2138 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Serious question - with a mini-poll. Upvote for "yes". Downvote for "no".
Did Trump have a hand in that Arizona man's death by promoting chloroquine as a game changing drug for coronavirus?

Really? If he took aquarium products that are labeled not for human consumption, how is that on anyone but them?

#2142 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Not saying Trump hid them in the guy's Big Mac. Or that Trump is 100% responsible. Maybe just 1% responsible? Just saying he might not have been aware or as interested in the drug if POTUS hadn't been talking about it so much.
You can change your vote if I have persuaded you.

I see the point you are trying to make, but if someone is willing to take something labeled not for human consumption (and most likely poisonous as well) there is a Darwin Award for those people.

#2147 4 years ago

Now you’re grasping at straws. Plus, if the guy was smart enough to find it from a fish store after listening to trump, then you would think he is smart enough to not take it, or at least look up what he was taking and realize only 600mg is the LD50 level for a rat.

#2154 4 years ago
Quoted from belairjoe:

story sounds fishy to me

I see what you did there....

#2221 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

We are 6-8 weeks behind the virus on this because of the testing failures. If we were fully tested up and had data from all over and surveillance of cases in progress - we could be making better decisions today. We aren't there.
We are about 1 week into real testing and have almost no data. Can't make smart decisions, so we did the smart thing and shut everything down. Erred on the side of caution and it will let us 'catch up' a bit to the virus.
They are ramping up testing and we will soon be able to make better decisions. I don't think we are gonna go back to whatever the new normal is in 2-3 weeks for sure. But with testing, surveillance, maybe a treatment or 2, and some other strategies - it is probably reasonable to start letting some people get back to normal whenever the available information allows it.
Without sacrificing the grandparents.

We’re far more than 6 weeks behind. That’s why the virus seems to be exploding in spread with every test administered.

1 year later
#27979 2 years ago
D42AE000-4859-485C-9293-03BFFB801F48 (resized).jpegD42AE000-4859-485C-9293-03BFFB801F48 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#28367 2 years ago
E59D36A0-F1CD-4D3A-B8EE-D25E58AD9784 (resized).jpegE59D36A0-F1CD-4D3A-B8EE-D25E58AD9784 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider titanpenguin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=titanpenguin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.