272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thefamilyarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

359 posts in this topic match your search for posts by thefamilyarcade. You are on page 1 of 2.
#432 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

The USA dropped the ball and has a very stupid population.

Don’t forget ignorant, entitled, obese, diabetic, opioid addicted, alcoholic and anti-intellectual. Oh, and mostly no savings. Perfect recipe for a beautiful cure and recovery. Now, where’s that website?

You guys hear about that large NJ family that had a family dinner and now 4 of them are dead and 3 more have it? Some in critical condition? That’s a tough break.

#445 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Arrogance and ignorance go hand and hand-Holier than thou Metallica Black Album

Thanks. I totally forgot arrogant. Good call.

#450 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Axe throwing has gotten popular here in the midwest in the last couple years. I don't really get it, but I hear a lot of people talking about it.

I can’t wait for truth catching to become popular. Especially with the axe throwing crowd.

#748 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

This might have been posted already, but it looks like scientists in Germany have successfully mapped the virus’s protease.
Apparently now that it’s been mapped, they are working towards finding an inhibitor to prevent binding.
Good thing there are some really smart people on this planet with the resources to do something like this so quickly.
https://www.drugtargetreview.com/news/57834/preliminary-sars-cov-2-protease-inhibitor-shows-efficacy-in-mice/

Yup. They’re called scientists. They use this thing called the scientific method to conduct experiments, eliminate certain possibilities while elevating the likelihood of others. They fail all the time but failure is one step closer to success. That many people question scientists - and science itself - is troubling. I typically tend to give the opinions and conclusions of scientists more weight than others on the topics they research. And let’s not forget Doctors, who *practice* medicine, because they’re always learning.

Sometimes the shit needs to hit the fan for people to finally let go of their egos and opinions or whatever and just let the experts do their thing. Are we there yet?

#755 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

Well, I know what I'm going to be spending my afternoon searching the "Dark Web" for....
Thanks for sending me down this rabbit, or should I say... monkey hole.

I love that analogy. I heard it a different way.

A friend told me a story about a sales pitch back in the day, where him, the boss and the product manager pitched the C Suite of some company on their product. They hadn’t prepared well, didn’t read the room at all, and had a pretty bad experience.

The sales rep’s friend (who’d helped get them the opportunity) was in the room, and after the big wigs had left told him “you guys looked like three dogs trying to fuck a football”. That remains my definition for completely messing up a good opportunity. Makes me smile to this day.

#759 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

There was a rumor flying around near me that NJ and the rest of the country was going to be put on a military lock down. NJ governor just stated he knows about the rumor, it’s not true and that it came from foreign sources, specifically noting China and Iran. Be careful where you get your info, there are forces trying to start panics and destabilize things. Governor announced that many things that are essential will remain open, like grocery stores, liquor stores, pet stores, hardware stores, restaurants with takeout and other places. Hardly worth panicking over. If you have to go to those places that are open continue thinking about social distancing. Only place we are going to is grocery store and we are trying to do that no more than once every 10 days and only for essential items and we aren’t stockpiling.

why do people act on unfounded rumors? Why trust anything that doesn’t have a face and a history? Credibility. Reputation. Etc. why make decisions based on he said that she said that they heard that....This shit happens way too much. People should know better.

#761 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

right. Italy has a higher proportion of older people, 23% compared to 16% in the US. You’d expect Italy to have much higher deaths.

I wonder what their population of Gen Z Vapers is? This is going to be fascinating. The people who have been coating their lungs in oil and god knows what else for years now. Maybe they’ve been prepping for “Covad”? To show us Xers and Boomers how young and strong they are.

While coughing on our vegetables and spring breaking.

#770 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I am going to partially disagree with you on some of this info. I was born in 1952. I grew up watching reruns of WW2 movies where everyone was a hero. Hollywood came to the rescue with all of these patriotic movies, such as John Wayne in the Fighting SeeBees, for example. Hollywood's Frank Capra was contracted to make all of these propaganda movies about how eager people were to enlist and serve. But this was after Pearl Harbor. Pearl Harbor is what galvanized the country into action because we had been attacked.
Before Pearl, FDR had to do all kinds of dancing around to help out Britain with the lend-lease program. Many, not all, people who had had their fill of WW I were not happy with the the thought of the U.S. getting caught up in another European war. Sedition was a problem. Also there were a lot of Jew haters in this country. America did not want to go to war. We can thank FDR for having the foresight to see what was coming and having the smarts to get some of his programs through Congress.
And we had the draft. Yeah, sure, you can read where a group of high school kids took off to join up. And we can read about the underage kids that lied so they could enlist, but a lot of people were reluctant to sign up. So, it took the draft, and a whole lot of Hollywood to turn many into the patriots we think they were. Not taking anything away from them, but there were a lot of reluctant heroes.
You go back and look at the newspapers of the day and it was pretty much business as usual. The factories were humming making war machines, Rosie was busy riveting, etc. But various and sundry items were still being sold sold. And the newspapers turned into geography instructors as battles in Europe took place.
Other than the rampant patriotism, I will agree with you on everything else.
No action was spared to get the American public involved and supporting the war. Propaganda posters were placed that vilified all Germans as the enemy. There was scrap metal drives for the housewives to give up their pots and pans to support the war. Ladies, save your bacon grease as it can be used in the production of ammunition.
Celebrities were employed to encourage patriotism. Celebrities in uniform were highlighted and the public was made aware of those celebs who were in uniform.
Bond drives were put on around the country, using celebrities, telling you to buy bonds to help with the war effort. The govt. did not need your help to finance the wary your buying of bonds. Instead, with all of the soldiers going overseas and the people left behind, who came out of the depression and found theirselves working 12 hours days suddenly had money to burn and not much to spend it on as most items were for war production. The primary purpose of the bond drives was to get money out of circulation in an effort to help keep consumers goods price in check.
So, on this side to WW2, it looks like a lot patriotism, and there was, after Pearl Harbor.
Oh yeah, oner other thing: Those guys who did go to war did go in to battle fighting for you here at home. That's poppycock. They were fighting for their buddies who were going into battle with them.

It can be argued that women and African Americans held the US manufacturing base together while the “greatest generation” was off fighting the war. When the boys got back home to reclaim their jobs, the people that held down the fort - quite well thank you - were thrown out on their ass. And then not allowed to buy property in good neighborhoods. All while we rebuilt Europe and Japan. This engenders deep socio-economic problems. And a couple generations later, after ongoing disenfranchisement, some have the audacity to call these people takers.

Well, we’ll see who becomes the engine of our rebuilt economy after Covid 19. A lot of potential candidates might not be allowed in any more.

#779 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:Let's clear up one misperception about the WHO and CDC testing. The US did not turn down tests because it was never offered them. From the CNN article below:
"No discussions occurred between WHO and the CDC about providing tests to the United States, WHO spokesperson Tarik Jasarevic told CNN on Tuesday, and WHO did not offer coronavirus tests to the CDC."
If you dig into the article and others, it appears that the US did single thread for waiting for the CDC test, which the first one was flawed. This created delays and combined with other redtape, is the reason we are behind in testing. It's ok to be upset about testing, but lets make sure that we have facts straight.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/health/who-coronavirus-tests-cdc/index.html

A supreme leader is above red tape.

#783 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

It is a fact that the WHO took for f’ing ever to declare a pandemic when it fit the criteria of a pandemic for several weeks prior to being lableled such.
On a different note, everyone was up in arms about the war powers act not being fully implemented.
It is happening folks, GM is no longer producing at the moment..they are building ventilators as we speak. Many other industries are rapidly being repurposed in the short term as well.

Supreme leaders know something is a pandemic before people declare it a pandemic.

#790 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm going to give into a little bit of what seems to be happening with "stay at home" orders in NY. This is changing on a day-to-day basis, so what I typed up might be outdated in a few hours.
Yesterday (Friday), the NY governor announced a "stay at home" order for all non-essential businesses, which effectively shuts a lot of businesses down.
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-signs-new-york-state-pause-executive-order
https://esd.ny.gov/guidance-executive-order-2026
Some businesses are fortunate enough to have roughly a 30-day operating cost emergency fund in place, and are continuing to pay staff as long as possible, but many businesses don't have that cushion. So, depending on the type of business and how healthy it is, some people are still getting full pay, I've heard of a few cases where people are getting partial pay, and some people are getting no pay. A sick leave bill was working its way through the system, but I'm not quite sure where things stand with that. I've also heard of a few cases of people being in limbo with trying to apply for welfare. Employees who haven't officially been laid off, terminated, or fired don't seem to be able to actually apply for benefits. The term "zero hour schedule" has been thrown around for people still being listed as an employee, but not actually working or getting paid.
There's nothing in place yet for people who still have to pay rent & property taxes, other than a freeze on evictions. Foreclosures are still proceeding normally. There is supposedly a 90-day waiver on mortgage payments going into effect, but details are unclear at the moment--it appears to be some sort of postponement of payments for 90-days.
Some landlords are saying that renters (both business and residential) still have to pay full rent, some are saying they'll work with people on a case-by-case basis, some are offering reduced rent....there's really no plan in place right now, and a lot of people are concerned about financial ruin if they have no income to pay.
In the scenario where people simply stop paying rent under the eviction freeze, there doesn't appear to be plan in place for what happens after the freeze is lifted. There is concern about landlords hitting renters with a giant bill that they have to pay or face immediate eviction.
In turn, landlords who have mortgages and property taxes to pay are expressing concern as well. Most of them probably couldn't survive or keep their properties with no income.
Then there's the concern about income and property taxes that fund state/county spending, and if that is paused, what happens with government spending if there's nothing left to spend.
The NY governor put a pause button on one section of society, but not on other areas, which is putting a lot of people in a tough spot.
The NY governor also mentioned that he expects that this "stay at home" order could last 2-4 months at least. While some people and businesses might be able to weather a couple weeks of no income, going 2-4 months is not going to end well for a lot of people here.
There are a lot of offers for low interest loans, but that really isn't going to help much with people who are already in debt.
So, things are a mess and anxiety is somewhat high in NY state right now. I'm sure other NYers can chime in as to where things stand for them or their communities.
I expect other states will do similar shut down scenarios soon like NY, CA, and IL when they see the number of positive cases rise in their states. Although that's kind of like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.
Positive cases in NY are skyrocketing. A lot of people still aren't taking this seriously. They are using the time off to hang out, gather with family and friends, play contact sports. That is all the wrong thing to do. The point of social distancing/isolation is to put as much space as possible between you and other people so that you don't catch the virus from other people and so you don't spread it to others. Be aware that mail, packages, groceries, etc are not immune from carrying the virus, so handle and wash/disinfect all that stuff appropriately.
https://www.seattletimes.com/life/food-drink/how-should-you-best-wash-produce-a-guide-to-home-food-safety-tips-amid-the-coronavirus-pandemic/
Given the developing events, I would suggest everyone be smart about their spending try to save as much money as possible to try to stretch things out as long as possible. We might be shut down for longer than people think. It might be better to start limiting unnecessary spending now to avoid struggling later. I'm not trying to panic anyone, but especially for people who are not on solid financial footing and/or living paycheck to paycheck, they really should do this now as a precaution.

Review your spending. If you don't keep track of your spending, it's a good time to start doing that. Make a list--rent/mortgage, food, clothes, subscriptions, electric, heat, insurance, taxes, medical costs, etc.
Try to reduce spending, and cancel as many subscription services as possible. Magazines, premium cable channels, possibly even cable service altogether. Club and gym memberships. If you have multiple video streaming service subscriptions, maybe drop down to only one. If there are multiple levels for streaming services (like with netflix), maybe drop that down to a lesser plan. If your family is leasing more than one vehicle, maybe consider contacting the leasing company for relief, or possibly look into what it would take to end the lease early. Review your credit card statements to check what might be hitting your card if you don't know off the top of your head.
Keep in mind that if you're stuck at home, your electric, heat , and water bills might be increasing due to your increased usage, and the general increased demands on the electrical grid. So, try to conserve electricity by turning off anything not in use, unplug energy vampires, and lower the thermostat. Avoid using large appliances as much as possible (drier, oven, etc). Try to run large appliances during off-peak times when electric is cheaper. Try to conserve water. You will probably be flushing the toilet a lot more if you're home all day. Try to avoid the urge to run the dishwasher or washing machine more than necessary.
If you have car insurance renewals coming up, think about making changes to your coverage--you're probably not going to be going much of anywhere if you're staying home and just making runs to the grocery store. If you have more than one car, figure out which vehicle will be for primary use, and maybe drop coverage for the other(s).

Obviously, use your best judgement. These are just some suggestions and ideas I pulled off the top of my head. Some might work for you, some might not.

This should be a sticky IMO. Good post Forceflow.

#978 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Yeah, good luck with that. Also, stop being a prick. My wife works at a vape shop, and Gen Z is not even remotely close to being their biggest market. They're stupid in their own way, just like every other generation before them, but vaping hardly has anything to do with it. You going to tell me that cigarettes is better? I don't see you pissing on other smokers.
Oil? Only in your illegal weed cartridges, bud.

Listen Frax, No one cares where your wife works. Lighten up. Read and learn dude: https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/severe-lung-disease.html

Bud.

#980 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Your mayor could have and should have done a lot better. He is largely responsible for the mess right now in NYC.
Acted like an adult? He ignored everyone around him for days begging him to close schools, etc while showing a blatant disregard for public health and showing a terrible example bu going to his favorite YMCA every day.
Sorry but you cant just point fingers at the feds and not look at the glaring incompetence and mistakes made at the local level by your mayor.
Both have made blunders but unfortunately those made by your mayor have have a much bigger impact on the current uncontained spread in your city than any other one person.

You can point fingers wherever there is blame. And you should. What is this, third grade? Two wrongs make a right? You think Deblasio screwed up? Fine. You get a medal and a cookie. What about clown shoes? There’s a special place in hell, I’m sure.

#1099 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Thanks. I'm glad you explained that to me.
It's not like I'm a Metallurgy Chemist or anything.....Oh, wait, I am.

Wasn’t explaining it to you. I was riffing on your post to make my own point.

#1101 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

You miss understood when I said "greatest generation" it included all Americans not just the soldiers fighting the war.

No I didn’t. I just don’t think they were the greatest generation. I lived through the 70’s and 80’s, and then learned how they slammed the door on the 60’s. I’m glad they joined a war in which we were attacked. And I’m glad they fought Hitler in Europe. Any other contributions to American society are certainly debatable. Just like every other generation.

#1103 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

Who exactly is Anthony Fauci? If this guy doesn't get a Presidential Medal of Freedom (or equivalent)... WE RIOT!

I don’t know, the last guy set the bar pretty high.

#1105 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

It was a soft toss that anyone should have been able to knock out of the park. Just restate your plan and your faith in the team and the American people.

We need more than defensive, petty and self-aggrandizing. We deserve better.

#1107 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

So the WHO declaring a pandemic vs a global emergency would somehow have affected what we were doing in the US to prepare? I haven’t seen these articles (too much reading on the topic gets depressing), but I’d think this administration wouldn’t let a globalist entity like the WHO impact its policies in the slightest.

There it is. Is WHO a respected global health organization or a propaganda tool for the Chinese? You can’t have it both ways.

The Fed behaviors and the statements are there for all to see. And if you don’t like what was said early - and you shouldn’t - the “I knew it was a pandemic before it was a pandemic” (and did very little about it) statement is damning. I guess one person can have it both ways. Lol.

#1111 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That's fine line, Who-Dey. I do not recall anyone calling it a hoax, save one who made the reference in a rally speech. I wish I could play the movie.

It’s cool Cotton. The good guys know what’s what. It’s all documented. There for everyone to see. Now of course, all the people that originally insisted this a big nothingburger have changed their tune to “now isn’t the time to assign blame”. While vociferously blaming China and WHO to deflect attention from obvious negligence.

#1115 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Yeah, that’s better. I guess your state is helping fund a better education system in my state. Thanks! Maybe we can send your state some tents for the mass population of homeless people?
And for what it’s worth, I pay more than my fair share in taxes.

I’ll bet your definition of fair is different than mine. But this definitely puts a nice spin on the maker/taker rhetoric. God bless facts.

#1117 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:My wife also is using paper suit, face shield, respirator method here in Minnesota.
It is comically oversized on her.[quoted image]

And God bless her! She’s adorable.

#1120 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Part of the New Deal that took us out were Govt funded Jobs, of infrastructure, Bridges, Damns, Roads, and National Parks.
Perhaps that is what will happen, A works program to get future unemployment issues.
I dont think we will be building any new parks, we seem to be selling them off.

Great post. Since the infrastructure in US is literally falling apart, you might be right. It’s not going to rebuild itself and there’s no money (gee, I wonder where that comes from?).

#1143 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Then who do you consider to be the "greatest generation?"

Why do I have to choose? What’s the criteria? Why does it matter? i don’t think that generation was crappy. They rallied when called. They did what they had to do. I think most generations would and do.

Now, excepting the current idiots brazenly refusing to social distance, I trust we’ll all pull together when the time comes. Maybe I’m wrong, but I’ll remain optimistic.

#1164 4 years ago

Take this or leave it. A friend of the family works in a pediatricians office and has been a health advocate for years. She’s in Spain. A doctor colleague (with contacts in China....I know, I know...) shared some info with her:

Autopsies done in China have confirmed how the virus attaches to the respiratory system and closes them down with thick mucous, blocking airways and lungs. So if you are to apply a medicine, the airways must be unblocked for the medicine to take effect. Positive reactions to medication may take days.

Drink warm drinks to help wash the virus down into your stomach where gastric juices can break it down before it can impact the lungs. Drink warm water every 20 minutes. Gargle with antiseptic - lemon juice or vinegar will work. Avoid drinking cold things. If you feel a sore throat coming on, use the warm fluid techniques. You have 3-4 days to break it down before it gets to the lungs.

Other recommendations: it sticks to clothes. If you’re around people and return home, get your clothes in the wash and get yourself in a bath or shower to soap down. Don’t sit down first. Hanging clothes in direct sunlight can help neutralize the virus, but soap better.

Handrails and door handles (metal) can keep the virus around for days. Wash the. Down.

Animals don’t spread the virus.

Elevate your zinc. Eat fruits and vegetables, not just vitamin C.

Wash hands every 20 minutes....probably not necessary if your already sheltering at home.

Social distance!

I live about 20 miles NW of NYC, and we got a call from the town today saying the virus is spreading rapidly now through the county. First time that specific message has been conveyed. I was going to go out and restock some liquor supplies this afternoon. Mainly mixers, like Compari and Sweet Vermouth, because I do enjoy a nice cocktail (Boulevadiars and Negronis are personal favorites) but now I guess I’ll stay in. Only been out in public three times in last 10 days, shopping for food/liquor. Last time being Friday morning. I wonder if that’s that for awhile.

#1169 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Damn it’s gonna be like Silkwood with a bar over at your place!

I told my wife I have an idea for the warm liquid approach. Her response was along these lines:

#1184 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

[quoted image]

Eh, wouldn’t rely on WHO, they wouldn’t recognize a pandemic until someone hit them upside the head with one!

kinda.

#1242 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

This is how I feel but he said they told him it wasnt Covid and it was some other virus.
Negative on both Influenza test.
No Covid test given. Wtf.
At this point I wonder if he should call ahead and bring her in elsewhere?
Florida is the only state to get 100% of their medical request filled by the government. They should be able to test her no?
Shit

Unless she’s in some kind of seriously ill situation she should stay home. Everyone should. Don’t go to the doctor because you “think you might” have it. Stay home. People need to be responsible and not place an undue load on the hospital system.

If something gets really bad, call your Doctor or 911 and let them decide.

What happens when you test positive? Nothing except they tell you to go home and stay home. At this point, people shouldn’t need a test to tell them that.

#1317 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Damn. Suicide by mod!!!!

Yup, just a microscopic droplet of water left.

#1320 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:Rand Paul, Senate typhoid mary:
During the Senate GOP lunch today, Moran told colleagues that Rand was at the gym this morning, per two sources briefed on the lunch, and that he was swimming in the pool. Rand got his COVID-19 results back this morning.

What a douche. It totally figures.

#1324 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Agreed. Not following the guidelines that they established. Effing Idiot. The senate are predominantly old ass men which is the highest risk group for serious health issues with covid

Oh wait, it was the Senate pool?

#1548 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

sataneatscheese pulled up Target inventory for our formula for Towson just for fun and said 2 in stock. (I know nothing of Baltimore just pulled that store up at random). That’s 2 more than are available here!
Twin Cities getting shorted by our own home grown company.
Might have to request a favor if things get dire.

So, with all due respect, you do know that breast feeding is natural and free and the BEST lifetime boost to the immune system ever?

#1552 4 years ago
Quoted from bwill:

I believe this is untrue. On March 15th it was reported that Rand Paul was at a ball at the speed museum here in Louisville with people who tested positive.
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2020/03/15/louisville-coronavirus-cases-museum-speed-ball-guest-tests-positive/5054435002/
My guess is that this is why he got tested. He knew he had contact with people who had the virus and was tested for it.

And I believe that anyone that thinks they might have it based on exposure should quarantine. Or they’re an irresponsible douche bag.

#1555 4 years ago

Yeah, the biggest gang of all us the US military. And i hope they wipe the street with assholes that think they can take the law into their own hands. If I pay my taxes for anything, it’s to clean the slate with assholes that think anarchy works.

Quoted from o-din:

If this shit gets way out of control, there are plenty of gangs and other armed people that will be taking matters into their own hands. Thumbs up to those that are ready to protect themselves. Although a gang might be a little hard to fend off by one's self, it might make them go after easier prey. Or it could piss them off even more.

#1560 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

There are going to be a lot of people out of work. There is serious potential for people to loot, riot, etc. While I do not live in an area where I think that will occur - it’s not outside the realm of possibility. If people get desperate, crazy shit can happen. I’ll leave it at that.

Yeah, just shoot freely. Sounds good.

#1563 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And I lived through the LA riots. What a show they put on.

Sure you did. In Orange County? Jesus, just stop.

#1566 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

I've got a WW2 era grenade in the basement ready for anyone who tries to set foot on my property and take my carton of TP.

And I’ll throw bleach and acid in your face and stab your neck with a butcher knife.

Arm up!

#1570 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Is this a recommendation for HIS immune system, his baby's....or both?

It’s a reco for anybody who has a baby.

#1579 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

It’s unfortunate, and childish, he only does it to get a rise, but I’m still not understanding how being called your nationality is deemed offensive.

Unfortunate and childish. Or petty. Two/three words you don’t want associated with ultimate leadership.

In the HISTORY of this GREAT nation- or let’s stay 100 years - how many times have we had to even entertain this folly?

How is this good? WhY is this good? I’m serious. I entreat you. I BEG you. Why is this good? How does this help? What the FUCK is going on here?

#1587 4 years ago
Quoted from vex:

I think he said China virus, indicating the origin of it. A virus is not a race, but its passport was clearly stamped in China.

For the benefit of what? Why does this freaking matter? It antogonizes the world’s “other” superpower, and, last time I checked, a major owner of US debt and property. This is just STUPiD posturing. And if you think it s important, you probably thought it was important to meet the town dweeb at the flagpole after school. Only China isn’t the town dweeb. And if you think they are, YOU are the town retard.

#1593 4 years ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

So where is Iceman these days?

Really? Who cares? The discussion has gotten serious and fact based. He’s not really needed, Ya know?

#1596 4 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

It shouldn't be used as a term because Asian people are being harassed. Throwing meat to his base by being a "Bad Boy" is not helping those people in their everyday lives. Those are his people too.
Just because he can't have his hateful rallies does not excuse his behavior during this crisis. He needs to be a calming factor, not an inciter.

And if you asshats didn’t get it the first two times

#1598 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I wanted to avoid politics, but it kind of enrages me to hear “we inherited an obsolete system” over and over again. When you’re 3 years into your term, you own what you have. It hits home, because any engineering manager who pulled that shit would be fired. You might get 6 months to blame your predecessor, but after that you own it.

O.M.G. Thank you! The LEADER of the free world shouldn’t be a sycophant to “previous standards” in a global FREAKING catastrophe.

Show some freaking SACK. Show freaking LEADERSHIP! You know, like Washington or Lincoln or Roosevelt. Like true freaking leaders! In crisis! You buffoon!

This was an OPPORTUNITY clown shoes. Not an excuse to deflect and rationalize.

ASShOLE LOSER FUCKHEAD!

#3157 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

They caught him and he has been charged with something like Terroristic Threats. Happened in Missouri.

Just castrate him, sew him up and let him go.

PS: I’m back.

#3169 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Looks like we have a giant aid package that just passed. I wonder if we're going to see inflation or if it will be all relative. If we do see it, I hate the fact that I'll be punished for being a good manager and saver with my finances.

Personal responsibility is, and always has been, its own reward.

Ironically, the reason these mega bailouts are so important is that otherwise the people that do have savings (rainy day, retirement, 529bs, and aren’t in debt up to their eyeballs) would be as wiped out as everybody else. At least now we can still maintain some relative prosperity.

It sucks, I know. And it’s now happened twice in my adult lifetime. If anyone truly believes that the economy isn’t fake, they’re kidding themselves. How can this great nation be so exceptional if a couple months out of work tanks the whole freaking country?

And it’s really more like a couple weeks, if not a couple days. We need to wake up, re-prioritize, and create heaven on earth with all the marvelous resources and brain power we have on this continent alone. We could create a veritable garden spot, but we don’t. Why is that exactly?

By the way, that Mexican leader is so freaking whack, I’ve reconsidered my opinion on building a wall. And irony of all ironies, that dude is such a freaking loon, he might actually pay for it.

#3173 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

let's start with Goldman Sachs? I'm talking the big guys who have stolen from the coffers in the past.

More like the coffins. Of true, hardworking people. Past, present and future (if the status quo holds). Why this is so hard for some to understand is beyond me. It’s the riddle, wrapped in a mystery couched in the enigma of our times.

#3175 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:Now that is funny right there.

It’s actually a good post, but paragraph’s lives matter.

#3223 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:I get that in the scenario we are in things are in an unknown area. The point is we don't need to hand them free money. We've already seen what they do and who they care about. It isn't the employees.
My thoughts are:
Any provisions need to be a loan with strict conditions. No stock buybacks, no CEO bonus/raises - maybe even drop in pay, until it's paid back.
Not one cent should go to a company that is not based in the US.
We cannot guarantee they won't have to cut employment, but we should have a guarantee that if they have health coverage they get to keep it (for a period of time - due to the current crisis)

We definitely know what they do with free money. They pad their balance sheets and build their golden parachutes. And then they lie about their business to the point of negligently killng people and then declare their special, because they basically have a fucking monopoly.

Isn’t this the kind of hostage taking we should be against? Institutionally constructed to prevent?

In the age of web meetings, I don’t know why we need to continue to kow tow to Boeing. Take a bus, drive a car, book a cruise. Charter a boat or Space X. Ride a bike. WALK. Fuck these monopolists that can’t take care of their business enough to survive a 3 month downturn. It’s pathetic.

#3301 4 years ago
Quoted from bwill:

I assume you don't know or have ever met people who work in the performing arts. Just so you are aware, most of the stagehands, designers, actors, etc are not earning huge salaries doing this work. They are not working and not earning at this time and since most are independent contractors they don't get unemployment.
Here is the bill text: 'funds provided in this Act shall be made available to cover operating expenses required to ensure the continuity of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and its affiliates, including for employee compensation and benefits, grants, contracts, payments for rent or utilities, fees for artists or performers'
The amount is a pittance compared to what is being handed out to major industries and much will go into protecting people who create art for living.

Didn’t you hear? All publicly funded art is people peeing on crosses! Why would you want to support the sourcing of materials and building of those crosses, the purchase of and drinking of all those liquids (It’s all booze you know!) that contribute to the bodily function of peeing, and then all the people that have to ensure (via balancing and other means) the positioning is just right to ensure every last bit of urine gets to the cross. To saturate it, you know? Plus the people that ensure that the urination of the cross is properly lit, and that an appropriate soundscape accompanies the blasphemous act of the “art” of urinating on a wooden cross. So much worse than, uh, nailing a human being to one?

That’s the extent of publicly funded art. Didn’t you hear? It mustn’t be supported under any circumstances. Because, you know, art isn’t very important to society. Except commercially and privately funded art of course (!) which only contributes to the betterment of society at large and is, of course, beyond reproach! Like reality TV and rap music and XXX rated movies etc. etc.

#3309 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:Thanks!
Now summarize the "close the top 100" thread for us please.

No, that won’t be necessary.

#3311 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:I think u need a heavy dose of Hannity ....

Thought no independent, critically thinking person ever.

#3321 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:We all hate liars. It's just a human quality that we do not tollerate on a day-to-day basis.

But do we now? Do we really? Why on earth would you say that?

#3322 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:I get your point, but you missed mine.
So there is a ton of Pork Barrell fat on the Board of directors and over, hugely over paid people that don't even come to work there.
Trust me I know! The payroll for most of that building is outrageous and so many titles and vice presidents of this and that and, really. The cash bleed at that building is overwhelming.

Yeah, so is the cash bleed (grab) at the top of every fortune 100 corporation. And most of the other American majors as well. So what’s your point exactly? That the fat cats that position themselves for sweethearts payouts don’t deserve them?

Agreed! Let’s put an end to all of them. Greet idea! Progress!

#3347 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

If you take the selfish route and decide your personal need for an N-95 with low risk of exposure is higher than an ICU doc who is swimming in virus during a procedure while trying to save someone else’s life....well I don’t know what to say to that.

I totally do, but I’m trying to cool out a little, and therefore won’t. But you’re right Doc, and respect you for always taking the high road.

#3497 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Because we are a consumer society - not a country of sustainers. Virtually the entire economy is based on the production and consumption of services and goods to sell to someone else. The vast majority of the country must be able to consume or sell to sustain it's status quo... you take away that loop of purpose and money.. and the whole thing implodes.
We are not a society of self-sustaining, or even locally sustaining entities. We rely across the board on items that come from afar.
People's purpose and daily substance relies on this economy of selling and buying.

Seems a little fragile in light of this situation. And sad. Economy tanks...and perhaps a lot of people commit suicide because...they can’t buy enough crap at the store. There must be a better way...

#3670 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Guess he's special and doesn't have to follow rules? Or he's extremely stupid and selfish. I'm going with the later.

Dumbasses that think they’re special and the rules don’t apply? They’re a dime a dozen down here. Actually maybe less. The supply has skyrocketed these past couple weeks and I think the going rate is now about 8 cents.

#3677 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:NSFW because of language.
A good friend of mine has a 7 year old that's not allowed to have friends over. He keeps asking dad why his friends get to play outside together.

Can we please make this an essential post? A sticky? A yellow or whatever?

Love MR. he digs the Dubs too.

#3679 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Here is my city list taken from; https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/03/24/these-are-the-16-essential-business-sectors-that-will-remain-open-during-the-stay-home-work-safe-order/
Ready, take a deep breath, can you hold it for as long as it takes to read this:
go
Essential Retail
Grocery stores
Warehouse stores
Furniture suppliers
Big box stores
Bodegas
Liquor stores
Gas stations
Convenience stores
Farmers’ markets that sell food products and household staples
Food cultivation including farming, ranching, fishing and livestock
Food production including the production of canned goods, bottled beverages and other grocery items
Businesses that ship or deliver groceries, food, goods or services directly to homes
Restaurants and other facilities that prepare and serve food, but only for deliver, drive-thru or carry out
Schools and other entities that typically provide free services to students or members of the public on a pick-up or take-away basis only
Restriction of delivery or carry-out does not apply to cafes or restaurants within hospitals or medical facilities
Laundromats, dry cleaners and laundry service providers
Gas stations, auto supply, auto and bicycle repair, hardware stores, and related facilities
Healthcare / Public Health
Workers providing COVID-19 testing; Workers that perform critical clinical research needed for COVID-19 response
Caregivers (e.g., physicians, dentists, psychologists, mid-level practitioners, nurses and assistants, infection control and quality assurance personnel, pharmacists, physical and occupational therapists and assistants, social workers, speech pathologists and diagnostic and therapeutic technicians and technologists)
Hospital and laboratory personnel (including accounting, administrative, admitting and discharge, engineering, epidemiological, source plasma and blood donation, food service, housekeeping, medical records, information technology and operational technology, nutritionists, sanitarians, respiratory therapists, etc.)
Workers in other medical facilities (including Ambulatory Health and Surgical, Blood Banks, Clinics, Community Mental Health, Comprehensive Outpatient rehabilitation, End Stage Renal Disease, Health Departments, Home Health care, Hospices, Hospitals, Long Term Care, Organ Pharmacies, Procurement Organizations, Psychiatric Residential, Rural Health Clinics and Federally Qualified Health Centers)
Manufacturers, technicians, logistics and warehouse operators, and distributors of medical equipment, personal protective equipment (PPE), medical gases, pharmaceuticals, blood and blood products, vaccines, testing materials, laboratory supplies, cleaning, sanitizing, disinfecting or sterilization supplies, and tissue and paper towel products
Public health / community health workers, including those who compile, model, analyze and communicate public health information
Blood and plasma donors and the employees of the organizations that operate and manage related activities
Workers that manage health plans, billing, and health information, who cannot practically work remotely
Workers who conduct community-based public health functions, conducting epidemiologic surveillance, compiling, analyzing and communicating public health information, who cannot practically work remotely
Workers performing cybersecurity functions at healthcare and public health facilities, who cannot practically work remotely
Workers conducting research critical to COVID-19 response
Workers performing security, incident management, and emergency operations functions at or on behalf of healthcare entities including healthcare coalitions, who cannot practically work remotely
Workers who support food, shelter, and social services, and other necessities of life for economically disadvantaged or otherwise needy individuals, such as those residing in shelters
Pharmacy employees necessary for filling prescriptions
Workers performing mortuary services, including funeral homes, crematoriums, and cemetery workers
Workers who coordinate with other organizations to ensure the proper recovery, handling, identification, transportation, tracking, storage, and disposal of human remains and personal effects; certify cause of death; and facilitate access to mental/behavioral health services to the family members, responders, and survivors of an incident
Law Enforcement / Public Safety / First Responders
Personnel in emergency management, law enforcement, Emergency Management Systems, fire, and corrections, including front line and management
Emergency Medical Technicians
911 call center employees
Fusion Center employees
Hazardous material responders from government and the private sector.
Workers – including contracted vendors -- who maintain, manufacture, or supply digital systems infrastructure supporting law enforcement emergency service, and response operations.
Energy
Electricity workers
Workers who maintain, ensure, or restore, or are involved in the development, transportation, fuel procurement, expansion, or operation of the generation, transmission, and distribution of electric power, including call centers, utility workers, reliability engineers and fleet maintenance technicians
Workers needed for safe and secure operations at nuclear generation
Workers at generation, transmission and electric blackstart facilities
Workers at Reliability Coordinator (RC), Balancing Authorities (BA), and primary and backup Control Centers (CC), including but not limited to independent system operators, regional transmission organizations, and balancing authorities
Mutual assistance personnel
IT and OT technology staff – for EMS (Energy Management Systems) and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems, and utility data centers; Cybersecurity engineers; cybersecurity risk management
Vegetation management crews and traffic workers who support
Environmental remediation/monitoring technicians
Instrumentation, protection, and control technicians
Petroleum workers:
Petroleum product storage, pipeline, marine transport, terminals, rail transport, road transport
Crude oil storage facilities, pipeline, and marine transport
Petroleum refinery facilities
Petroleum security operations center employees and workers who support emergency response services
Petroleum operations control rooms/centers
Petroleum drilling, extraction, production, processing, refining, terminal operations, transporting, and retail for use as end-use fuels or feedstocks for chemical manufacturing
Onshore and offshore operations for maintenance and emergency response
Retail fuel centers such as gas stations and truck stops, and the distribution systems that support them
Natural and propane gas workers:
Natural gas transmission and distribution pipelines, including compressor stations
Underground storage of natural gas
Natural gas processing plants, and those that deal with natural gas liquids
Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) facilities
Natural gas security operations center, natural gas operations dispatch and control rooms/centers natural gas emergency response and customer emergencies, including natural gas leak calls
Drilling, production, processing, refining, and transporting natural gas for use as end-use fuels, feedstocks for chemical manufacturing, or use in electricity generation
Propane gas dispatch and control rooms and emergency response and customer emergencies, including propane leak calls
Propane gas service maintenance and restoration, including call centers
Processing, refining, and transporting natural liquids, including propane gas, for use as end-use fuels or feedstocks for chemical manufacturing
Propane gas storage, transmission, and distribution centers
Water and Wastewater
Operational staff at water authorities
Operational staff at community water systems
Operational staff at wastewater treatment facilities
Workers repairing water and wastewater conveyances and performing required sampling or monitoring
Operational staff for water distribution and testing
Operational staff at wastewater collection facilities
Operational staff and technical support for SCADA Control systems
Chemical suppliers for wastewater and personnel protection
Workers that maintain digital systems infrastructure supporting water and wastewater operations
Transportation and Logistics
Employees supporting or enabling transportation functions, including truck drivers, bus drivers, dispatchers, maintenance and repair technicians, warehouse workers, truck stop and rest area workers, and workers that maintain and inspect infrastructure (including those that require cross-jurisdiction travel)
Employees of firms providing services that enable logistics operations, including cooling, storing, packaging, and distributing products for wholesale or retail sale or use.
Mass transit workers
Workers responsible for operating dispatching passenger, commuter and freight trains and maintaining rail infrastructure and equipment
Maritime transportation workers - port workers, mariners, equipment operators
Truck drivers who haul hazardous and waste materials to support critical infrastructure, capabilities, functions, and services
Automotive repair and maintenance facilities
Manufacturers and distributors (to include service centers and related operations) of packaging materials, pallets, crates, containers, and other supplies needed to support manufacturing, packaging staging and distribution operations
Postal and shipping workers, to include private companies
Employees who repair and maintain vehicles, aircraft, rail equipment, marine vessels, and the equipment and infrastructure that enables operations that encompass movement of cargo and passengers
Air transportation employees, including air traffic controllers and maintenance personnel, ramp workers, aviation and aerospace safety, security, and operations personnel and accident investigations
Workers who support the maintenance and operation of cargo by air transportation, including flight crews, maintenance, airport operations, and other on- and off- airport facilities workers
Public works
Workers who support the operation, inspection, and maintenance of essential dams, locks and levees
Workers who support the operation, inspection, and maintenance of essential public works facilities and operations, including bridges, water and sewer main breaks, fleet maintenance personnel, construction of critical or strategic infrastructure, traffic signal maintenance, emergency location services for buried utilities, maintenance of digital systems infrastructure supporting public works operations, and other emergent issues
Workers such as plumbers, electricians, exterminators, and other service providers who provide services that are necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences
Support, such as road and line clearing, to ensure the availability of needed facilities, transportation, energy and communications
Support to ensure the effective removal, storage, and disposal of residential and commercial solid waste and hazardous waste
Communications and Information Technology
Communications
Maintenance of communications infrastructure- including privately owned and maintained communication systems- supported by technicians, operators, call-centers, wireline and wireless providers, cable service providers, satellite operations, undersea cable landing stations (including cable marine depots and submarine cable ship operators), Internet Exchange Points, and manufacturers and distributors of communications equipment
Workers who support radio, television, and media service, including, but not limited to front line news reporters, studio, and technicians for newsgathering and reporting
Workers at Independent System Operators and Regional Transmission Organizations, and Network Operations staff, engineers and/or technicians to manage the network or operate facilities
Engineers, technicians and associated personnel responsible for infrastructure construction and restoration, including contractors for construction and engineering of fiber optic cables
Installation, maintenance and repair technicians that establish, support or repair service as needed
Central office personnel to maintain and operate central office, data centers, and other network office facilities
Customer service and support staff, including managed and professional services as well as remote providers of support to transitioning employees to set up and maintain home offices, who interface with customers to manage or support service environments and security issues, including payroll, billing, fraud, and troubleshooting
Dispatchers involved with service repair and restoration
Information Technology:
Workers who support command centers, including, but not limited to Network Operations Command Center, Broadcast Operations Control Center and Security Operations Command Center
Data center operators, including system administrators, HVAC & electrical engineers, security personnel, IT managers, data transfer solutions engineers, software and hardware engineers, and database administrators
Client service centers, field engineers, and other technicians supporting critical infrastructure, as well as manufacturers and supply chain vendors that provide hardware and software, and information technology equipment (to include microelectronics and semiconductors) for critical infrastructure
Workers responding to cyber incidents involving critical infrastructure, including medical facilities, SLTT governments and federal facilities, energy and utilities, and banks and financial institutions, and other critical infrastructure categories and personnel
Workers supporting the provision of essential global, national and local infrastructure for computing services (incl. cloud computing services), business infrastructure, web-based services, and critical manufacturing
Workers supporting communications systems and information technology used by law enforcement, public safety, medical, energy and other critical industries
Support required for continuity of services, including janitorial/cleaning personnel
Other community-based government operations and essential functions
Workers to ensure continuity of building functions
Security staff to maintain building access control and physical security measures
Elections personnel
Federal, State, and Local, Tribal, and Territorial employees who support Mission Essential Functions and communications networks
Trade Officials (FTA negotiators; international data flow administrators)
Weather forecasters
Workers that maintain digital systems infrastructure supporting other critical government operations
Workers at operations centers necessary to maintain other essential functions
Workers who support necessary credentialing, vetting and licensing operations for transportation workers
Customs workers who are critical to facilitating trade in support of the national emergency response supply chain
Educators supporting public and private K-12 schools, colleges, and universities for purposes of facilitating distance learning or performing other essential functions, if operating under rules for social distancing
Hotel Workers where hotels are used for COVID-19 mitigation and containment measures
Critical manufacturing
Workers necessary for the manufacturing of materials and products needed for medical supply chains, and for supply chains associated with transportation, energy, communications, food and agriculture, chemical manufacturing, nuclear facilities, the operation of dams, water and wastewater treatment, emergency services, and the defense industrial base. Additionally, workers needed to maintain the continuity of these manufacturing functions and associated supply chains.
Hazardous materials
Workers at nuclear facilities, workers managing medical waste, workers managing waste from pharmaceuticals and medical material production, and workers at laboratories processing test kits
Workers who support hazardous materials response and cleanup
Workers who maintain digital systems infrastructure supporting hazardous materials management operations
Financial services
Workers who are needed to process and maintain systems for processing financial transactions and services (e.g., payment, clearing, and settlement; wholesale funding; insurance services; and capital markets activities)
Workers who are needed to provide consumer access to banking and lending services, including ATMs, and to move currency and payments (e.g., armored cash carriers)
Workers who support financial operations, such as those staffing data and security operations centers
Chemical
Workers supporting the chemical and industrial gas supply chains, including workers at chemical manufacturing plants, workers in laboratories, workers at distribution facilities, workers who transport basic raw chemical materials to the producers of industrial and consumer goods, including hand sanitizers, food and food additives, pharmaceuticals, textiles, and paper products.
Workers supporting the safe transportation of chemicals, including those supporting tank truck cleaning facilities and workers who manufacture packaging items
Workers supporting the production of protective cleaning and medical solutions, personal protective equipment, and packaging that prevents the contamination of food, water, medicine, among others essential products
Workers supporting the operation and maintenance of facilities (particularly those with high risk chemicals and/or sites that cannot be shut down) whose work cannot be done remotely and requires the presence of highly trained personnel to ensure safe operations, including plant contract workers who provide inspections
Workers who support the production and transportation of chlorine and alkali manufacturing, single-use plastics, and packaging that prevents the contamination or supports the continued manufacture of food, water, medicine, and other essential products, including glass container manufacturing
Defense Industrial Base
Workers who support the essential services required to meet national security commitments to the federal government and U.S. Military. These individuals, include but are not limited to, aerospace; mechanical and software engineers, manufacturing/production workers; IT support; security staff; security personnel; intelligence support, aircraft and weapon system mechanics and maintainers
Personnel working for companies, and their subcontractors, who perform under contract to the Department of Defense providing materials and services to the Department of Defense, and government-owned/contractor-operated and government-owned/government-operated facilities

And this how a civilization dies.

#3683 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

There are no strategies fully in place yet that allow us to think we are ok back at work. We still do not have adequate testing, no follow up plans for contact tracing/quarantine/follow up (like South Korea and others), we won't have adequate data until there is adequate testing for xx days/weeks, no proven treatments yet, and we have ZERO PPE available for non-healthcare workers to go back to work with.

Strategy is one of those things...

F9FE9CCB-8C15-463F-B9DA-4640CBCD6D37 (resized).jpegF9FE9CCB-8C15-463F-B9DA-4640CBCD6D37 (resized).jpeg
#3684 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Not sure if you read the whole thing, sorry it was so long, but I did say that it’s all about slowing it!

You’ve got a serious hard on for trying to describe “how to shut things down”...when the only real answer is totally. Any deviation from that is risky. So, what is your point exactly? That a shut down hurts the economy? Ok. Granted. That people are going to suffer economically? Yup. That “we can’t shut down everything!”. Clearly.

Dude, what’s your point? We need a major shut down. If you want to be a part of the decision about how it gets done, then run for office. And if you get there, actually make an informed, educated decision. And don’t wait.

Every activity that opens up the populace and economy right now, spells disaster for the future economy. Do you get that?

#3686 4 years ago
Quoted from beergut666:An hour after our governor announced a stay in place order, 25 dumb fucks lined up outside a liquor store (in the pouring rain) that will not be closing during the order.[quoted image]

Down to 7 cents a dozen!

#3707 4 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

This is why the numbers of actual cases are so much higher, if they posted the true numbers that are actually 10-40 times higher more people would take notice and follow the restrictions. My wife has been ill in bed for 6 days, called the 811 health line after 5 days and got told they are only testing health workers, hospitalized patients and extended care facilities so you know the true case totals are way off.

If she does get a test though, keep your wits about you. Because they’re gorgeous, and your wife might fall in love.

#3750 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

3/26 NY Governor briefing

It’s inspiring to see what can be communicated by an effective leader when the only motive is to impart cold facts on a situation and convey as much helpful information - and empathy - as possible.

No selling. No self congratulations. No finger pointing. No pettiness. No name calling or insults. No pie in the sky pronouncements. No pride. No bullshit.

Proud to be a New Yorker.

#3919 4 years ago

My goodness, there are some really despicable people in this world. Fauci under fire. Accused of being a “deep state stooge”. Who are the loons that say this stuff? And who are the loons that believe it? Feel free to represent, as I’d like to be able to stop guessing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/as-trump-signals-readiness-to-break-with-experts-his-online-base-assails-fauci/2020/03/26/3802de14-6df6-11ea-aa80-c2470c6b2034_story.html

I hope people realize that undermining the health and welfare of the country is sabotage. The people discrediting Fauci are not good Americans.

#3945 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Spot on, slow down the exposure so hospitals are not overwhelmed but you will be exposed eventually and have to build an immunity towards it. The high risk and elderly need to quarantine until they find a vaccine or drug that helps.

This is not a new idea! Consensus is not just being reached. A lot of us have been saying this for three weeks. And now there’s movement to go back the other way, because the fools that didn’t get it the first time are being suckered.

#3948 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

What is worse is what they are doing to the economy. It’s a upper respiratory virus. It’s death rate is what, 1.5%? More people die from the flue every year. More people die from obesity and/or car accidents. Watch how many people die from the fucked up economy due to blowing this out of proportion.

You sound like a guy trying to sell a used car.

#3955 4 years ago
Quoted from finman2000:

You have a big puffy chest until one of your family or friends is infected. Then the reality will sink in. If someone had a bowl of 100 skittles and tells you a couple of them will cause you a certain death, are you going to eat one?

The candy analogy is great. Perfect for the deniers. There’s probably a good analogy to be had with pet toys and play-doh and shoe string too. That’s about the level we’re dealing with.

#3957 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

well said....theres no reasoning with that guy so don't even try....

“Reason”. I don’t think the word means what you think it means. Lol.

#3964 4 years ago

I don’t qualify. The Deep State pays too well I guess. Which means my taxes are high (I don’t care, they pay for things that are important to me). Unlike some, I would never bleat that “I pay more than my fair share of taxes”. Whatever that means. I would also never belittle or insult people that don’t even make enough money to pay taxes (not for that anyway ), because of the horrible wealth gap in this country (that gap is not political, just a fact)

So I don’t get squat. Even though I live in NY - and pay dearly for the privilege. I imagine my standard of living is lower than many people in other places that bitch and moan about all the things I reference above, even though they might make less money.

So enjoy your handouts folks! Hopefully corona won’t murder your economy...or you won’t have anywhere to spend it.

#3968 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I typically judge people more by actions than words. I still have my doubts Cuomo did enough early on the outbreak and feel Diblasio completely dropped the ball in NYC.
I'm not absolving Trump or the feds for their shortcomings as it pertains to testing, and not doing enough early either. While admittedly not close to what is happening in New York and hearing daily press conferences, I can't say I understand why New Yorkers are so happy with how their state and local government has handled things to this point.

Because New York City is a little more complicated than Salt Lake City. For starters.

#3971 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It's official, that man still believes this is an overblown hoax, and he's petty (which we already knew). Someone give him the shit already. Force him to go shake hands, hug, and kiss the sick on the cheek. Walk his ass through an infected hospitals. Then when he asks for a ventilator say 'sorry, we don't have any more'.

(edited)
He was shaking hands with his own task force at the podium as recently as last week.

#3975 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I get my news from a variety of sources. How about you?
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/us/new-york-coronavirus-explainer/index.html
I am not defending Trump at all and have never defended his response to Covid19. I also voted 3rd party in 2016 btw so who is the partisan in this discussion?
This is my exact point. Some of you want to point that finger only at the feds but blow up at even the slightest insinuation that there have been guys at the state and local level that have dropped the ball as well.
I see the situation as one where there is plenty of blame to go around, and as the CNN article implies, that includes some of New York's officials.

At this point, I wouldn’t mind if New York seceded from the union. Us New Yorkers would then live in a country with capable leadership, and where the majority actually rules.

#3978 4 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

I read where Larry David and Lloyd Braun donated $100,000 for the caddies at Riviera CC. Pretty cool that they helped the caddies, and that there is a real Lloyd Braun.

That might actually be a pay cut at Riviera.

#3979 4 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:Yup because the world is full of COVIDIOTS including here in Canada. Want an example..... My sister-in-law (SIL).
She had adopted a dog (17 years old) out of compassion about 1.5 years ago from an elderly couple that couldn't take care of the dog anymore. Flashforward to 3 days ago, the dog was crying and staying on the bed, peeing all over the place and clearly something was up.
My SIL calls her sister(my wife) and tells her to come over to her house to see the dog. She says "No. Under normal circumstances she would have but in the world of COVID, she can't risk getting infected because she has asthma and we don't want to compromise the kids".
Who is my SIL?
She's the type that kept getting visits up until 3 days ago from other people, kept going to McDonald's every morning to go pick up coffee, kept sending her kdi to other peoples places, kept going to see her parents (Her Dad: 75, heart conditions, high blood pressure and diabetic. Her Mom 72: Osteoporosis, diabetic and a weak immune system) every single day until the event.
What happened?
My SIL is deranged and also an alcoholic. At this point it's been a day since the dog has been put down. She has called the house around 10 times to give my wife shit and keeps telling her that she's a complete bitch for not going with her. Keeps trying to reinforce that she chose my family over hers and that she deserves to die with all of us in quote "all insert family name deserve to die". After roughly the 10th call I had had enough. I took the phone from my wife (who is incapable of giving her shit) and I gave her such a mouthful (not even sure where it all came from) and hung up the phone.
At this point, we know she is drunk but we fail to realize that she is yet again at her parents, completely wasted (2 bottles of red wine into her). Socializing for the last few hours with them (my in-laws are not the brightest either - I have no clue how my wife turned out the way she is). Her parents let her drink the last portion of her second bottle with them (they know fully well she's an alcoholic but don't intervene).
Now the SIL is all over herself....she doesn't want to go home (10 houses down) because she's too drunk. Instead of walking home what does she do? She calls her brother that works at Costco (prime COVID candidate) and tells him to come pick her up. So Covidiot #2 (BIL) shows up to pick her up. But instead of bringing her home, he brings her to his place. Covidiot #2 is probably the more stupid of the 2 and I wouldn't even want to step in his house (haven't since 6 years ago) since it's completely filthy. If you were to catch a disease you would go to his house.
At the house, she's so drunk that she slips on the concrete step and cracks her head open. Blood everywhere, huge gash in the back of her head, she's delirious. Covidiot#2 calls my wife. He's frantic doesn't know what to do and tells my wife to come help him. Again my wife says "no. Call 911". After 20 minutes she gets a call back. The paramedics are there and are pleading with Covidiot#1 to get into the ambulance so they can go to the ER for stitches and get a scan because they believe she has a serious concussion.
In typical fashion Covidiot #1 throws a tantrum scene. Covidiot#2 signs a waiver stating that he officially releases the paramedics. Covidiot #2 drives SIL home.
We get a phone call around midnight. My wife's father tells her that he is going to the ER with Covidiot #1. My wife says "No. You can't go. you are a prime target for this virus." Why doesn't husband of covidiot #1 go?...... he's high has a kite on pot.
At this point I'm lost, I've lost all compassion for anything in this situation. "I keep telling my wife it's not our problem....but at this point it is". My wife jets out of bed, grabs the keys and leaves. She picks up High husband and covidiot #1 and they drive her to the ER themselves. Once there get there they drop her off and leave her there. High boy and SIL go in H. He drops her offs, sanitizes himself and gets back in the car.
Fast forward now 3 days. We have been exposed more than we should have been. My wife has put her life in danger as well as mine and the kids because of at least 3 covidiots.
My SIL exposed everyone (13 people):
Herself
Her two kids
Her husband
Her brother
Myself
My wife
Our two kids
Her parents
The paramedics
Because of her lack of rational thinking.
I am now known in our family circle as "CAPTAIN COVID". Yet I am the one doing groceries for her parents and mine. I've been out of the house 3 times in the last 14 days to go to the grocery store 1 mile away from home. I wear gloves and safety glasses. I make sure to sanitize before I go in and when I go out. That's my footprint. That's the way I envision keeping it for the foreseeable future. and if everyone did the same instead of drive out to McDonald's and their hairdresser this thing would be over in 3 months. But it won't be I'm forecasting a pretty lonely Xmas this year because some people just don't get it.
What's the saying: You can pick the wife but not the in-laws?
Rant over. #FML

Remember, these people don’t just walk among us. They vote.

#3983 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

People like to say that the majority of humanity is good. I think the internet is proving daily that the bulk of humanity are only good when forced to be. Actual 'good' people are rare.

I think most people are good. I also think most people are ignorant and gullible. When these particular people also happen to be proud and stupid (often prideful of their own ignorance!!) it’s a dangerous and depressing cocktail indeed.

#3988 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:Wish our government had isolated our hotzones. We stopped travel from Europe but tried to pretend it wasn't already breaking out domestically in NYC, Seattle, and some pockets of California. On top of that, they're still allowing people to leave or flee these areas which ensures spread into other pockets of the couhtry.

What are your thoughts on travel to and from “hot zones”?

#3992 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

spoken like true and proud American.....

This isn’t the America I was born into or grew up in. Not trying to be overly dramatic, but America is dead. You can have your tinpot despot. I’ll be in New York.

#3999 4 years ago

Just register and you get free access now.

#4009 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Yeah, damn that electoral college and Constitution. It only applies with where I agree with it too.

I said majority rule. Not the electoral college. Guess you missed that part?

And yes, I think 250 years after the constitution was written some changes are necessary. They’re called “amendments”, and we need one to abolish the electoral college. So that the majority of Americans hopes and dreams aren’t highjacked by a bunch of yahoos gaming the system.

#4018 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Go back and read my comments here over the past 7-10 days. I’ve already said on numerous occasions that if the goal was to truly stop the spread across the country, air travel in and out of NYC, Seattle, etc should have been locked down byTrump at the same time (or earlier) as he did Europe. I’ve been saying this here and to friends and family for almost 3 weeks now.

It was dude.

#4027 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

The newspaper of record, with the highest amount spent on fact-checking, with a republican editorial board, is not "left" just because one guy built a flimsy narrative that everyone who reports facts is part of a cabal against him.
Just because new media ventures were started up to praise him like a North Korean god, that doesn't push all centrist publications "left". All that means is that serious people should discard his pomp and noise.
Lots of things to criticize NYT over. Being "skewed left" is not one of them.

Wish I had more upvotes for this (and more downvotes for others, as I seem to have exhausted mine for this session).

I would like this to be a sticky “Key Post” please. In fact, I’m going to cut and paste this to repost every time some ignoramus bashes the NYT.

#4030 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

So there you go again claiming to know what MOST think or want.
Your wrong.

I know how “most” wanted the last election to go. But that’s that “math” that Levi was talking about. And it’s dangerous!

#4037 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

You do understand why the Constitution and the electoral college were written they way they were, right? Nothing has changed in that regard. If anything, those reasons are even more amplified now.

Amplified? Please. Now you’re just being ridiculous. Or political. Or maybe ignorant and/or lazy.

Yes, I know when it was necessary at the time. 250 years ago.

There are many valid reasons and scholarly texts describing why the electoral college is antiquated, unfair and unfit for this democracy. How the country is MUCH much different now than then, and why it existed in the first place isn’t relevant now.

Not to mention that it now consistently works against the MAJORITY wishes of this country. That doesn’t work for me. You’re saying it works for you?

#4041 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

It's important to remember that the electoral college helps wealthy land owners in sparsely populated states control the government instead of those fickle "people" who live near the coasts.
What do those schlubs even know, what with their avocado toast and their yearning to be free?

This and other reasons. Bottom line is that in 21st century America NO VOTE should be worth more than any other vote. That is NOT true representative democracy. Especially in the age of the Internet.

#4056 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Last I checked... we were still a union of states- not one federal unit.

Doesn’t make my point any less valid.

#4057 4 years ago

Hey guys, this morning has been awesome! Love the dialogue. A good mix of ideas and perspectives! A nice stew!

Gotta go make that money, but I’ll be back! See ya later today!

#4067 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yes it does... because, like the makeup of the senate... the design is to ensure the simple majority don’t dominate. Yes how each state names it’s electors etc is funky etc... but the idea of a straight popular vote nukes the protections of the smaller states.
Electoral college is not perfect by any means.... but it serves a purpose over popular vote.

If you like things the way they are, that’s your prerogative. Agree to disagree.

Why should smaller states be protected exactly? Why should the will of the people be based on geography? In today’s world, when pretty much everyone can pack up and move where they want? Where you live is much more of a choice now. And what about the “protections” of the millions of others disenfranchised people?

#4078 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:This maybe says more about how things are normally treated...you may have just dunked on yourself

Posterized! Now I’m really out. See ya later.

#4339 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Let's stay focused on the topic instead of avoiding the elephant in the room.
Did you read those articles? Are they from reputable, unbiased news outlets? What are your thoughts after reading them?
I still am waiting to hear from the New Yorkers here how Diblasio and ultimately Cuomo's slow responses to their city and states situation is a acceptable given the criticisms of Trump and the feds for basically the same type of blunders.

I already responded to you. It’s because NYC is an order of magnitude more complex than Utah, or anywhere else.

To Wit:

Largest city in the country. 9M people. Double LA, 3x Chicago and 18x SLC. 4x the entire state of Utah. Density is 27,000 people per square mile. SLC is like, 2,000.

Every day in NYC, 600k students receive free lunches from the nyc school system. Shutting down this system puts a large number of children at risk. There are 200k people in the entire Salt Lake City. 600k kids is equal to 25% of the population of your entire state.

Every day 300,000 people travel through NYC area airports. Every day more people travel through NYC airports than live the entire city of Salt Lake. Every 10 days more people pass through NYC airports than live in the entire state of Utah. Shutting international airports down is a big deal. The governor and the mayor don’t have a lot of control over that.

4M people work everyday in NYC. Different jobs, different areas, all important. Takes a little planning ahead to figure out how to clamp it down.

There are approximately 160+ different nationalities in NYC, speaking 800 different languages, and about 50% of these people don’t speak English as a first language.

NYC jails hold about 8,000 people on ay given day. About 1,000 correction officers keep track of them. Need to keep tabs on all of them.

Let’s look at “essential employees” in NYC. That have to be understood and managed.

Mass transit: 75,000 employees supporting over 15M people in the 5,000 square mile area of the NYC metro area. Managing this alone is like managing the entire public workforce of the state of Utah.
Cops: 40,000 cops, plus 10,000 more auxiliary “type” enforcement positions . How to plan and deploy for a shutdown? When a city of 9M people need to be protected and served?
Firefighters/EMTs = 18,000. See above.
25,000 doctors and 100,000 (!) nurses. All essential employees. They need to get to work, make sure their kids are cared for (and fed), and they need to have the proper PPE. That’s over half of your largest city right there. Piece of cake to manage that shut down, right?

You either have unrealistic expectations or don’t understand the order of magnitude of New York City. cities and states all over the country looked for the Fed to provide leadership and guidance. When NONE came, Governors and Mayors took matters into their own hands.

Don’t think Deblasio and Cuomo were standing Round twiddling their thumbs while they waited. They were planning the rational shut down and management of the largest city in the country, while anticipating the single largest health crisis the country has seen in 100 years. Never once did they discount the threat, hurl insults or pat themselves on the back. Or reference “corrupt media” or the “deep state”. They asked for help weeks ago.

You may be proud of your state of Utah’s response in the face of 20 cases 2 weeks ago (and 500 now), and good for you. NYC had over 700 then and over 20,000 now. It’s a different ballgame in NYC. Basically the big leagues. And your persistent questioning of how NYC has handled things (not to mention your earlier riffs on NY ski visitors bringing the virus to Utah) rings pretty hollow to me.

We’re playing chess here in NY, not checkers.

#4350 4 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

NPR is a PUBLIC funded service, the organization should not filter based on their own very well known biases. If you don't like the briefing turn it off.
Can you imagine the rayyyycisssssst @#$% storm if Fox had stopped showing Obama's briefings during H1N1, Ebola, etc. The mental gymnastics and balkanization of this country in a time of true crisis is really sad.
AMERICANS set aside differences and RALLY behind a cause for the good of everyone. They don't sit and whine behind a computer playing Monday Morning QB.
Can you imagine this same sort of attitude being exhibited now during WWII? Protip - we'd all be speaking German or Japanese if that was the case.

#4468 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Social Isurances, healthcare and free education help everybody and strengthen the system.
Better education = better jobs = more money = more taxes
Less poverty = less criminals = people feeling safe = less guns = less people shot dead

Pretty much.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2020/03/28/michigan-governor-gretchen-whitmer-says-medical-vendors-were-told-not-to-supply-state/23964182/
“I say, ‘Mike, don’t call ... the woman in Michigan. It doesn’t make any difference what happens,’” Trump said.
How are you guys in Michigan?

It’s just outrageous, isn’t it? Quid pro quo: kiss my ass for ventilators.

#4469 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:You can't throw your epeen around and claim you're better than everyone else if everyone is treated equal.
Also, I think most people have no clue what socialism is...and most of them are the ones railing against it.

Most people have no clue what equality is, because they’ve never seen it.

#4472 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:Data is already outdated but...Dang....
[quoted image]

When you’ve been the center of the known world for 100 years that’s kind of what happens.

#4475 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:An Argument all week, has been issues of blame on Governors. It has been their Responsibility, not the Federal Govt.
First, was Production Act, The decision Not to use,but put on Standby, to Motivate. Now is covered by it being used. The Need for quarantines, was up to Governors, Not a Federal decision, sometimes arguing it was unconstitutional. Now shares this headline:
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-mulls-imposing-coronavirus-quarantine-on-new-york-new-jersey-connecticut Please help me, How can he consider doing this with the Powers he has, but spend a week, with his media arm saying, he cant, he shouldnt, and any failures belong to the state. Is this under the declaration of National Emergency?

Any of ya’ll got any of the old ”Flip Flop” memes from 2000? I’m gonna learn how to use photoshop!

#4478 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Michigan is a swing state.

Not anymore.

#4479 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

No, the death count per million in NY is far higher than other states. Definitely an outbreak in NYC.

Definitely for now. We’ll see how that holds up: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-coronavirus-isnt-just-a-blue-state-problem/

#4480 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can’t believe there’s still people who think bleating “fake news!” is in any way clever, or bolsters any kind of argument.
I miss actual discussion but people seem to be lazier than ever.

I thought that way 5 years ago. Still do.

#4593 4 years ago

Some may get ill. In general though people who devote that much time and training to help others don’t slink off in the corner and quit when the shit hits the fan. I can tell you from personal experience we’ve had multiple specialist docs asking how they can help out. Hell, we even had a neurosurgeon offer to mop the floors because he didn’t want to sit on his butt while others did the dirty work. True story.

Thanks for that. Everytime I see an act of kindness or sacrifice - like this - or volunteerism I get misty. So many good people in the country!

And so many losers that make me cringe and want to curl up in a ball. Or conceal carry.

#4597 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I just woke up to find I have a highlighted post. And they are now serving ice water in hell. And since the advent of this virus, there is at least one death toll that has been dramatically reduced. The horses at Santa Anita.

Hell froze over HARD 3.5 years ago. The best thing about climate change is maybe we can melt that hoar frost.

#4601 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I have listened to FOX, CNN, and national news TV outlets a total of about 1 hour the past 2 weeks. I can honestly tell you I haven't heard anything Tucker has said in regards to NYC's situation. I am getting my news from reading the Washington Post, NY Times, WSJ, local news sites, and other international sources available online right now.
Like I said, I dont absolve the feds and Trump of any blame, not only for NYC but the entire country. I am informed enough, however, to compare and contrast New York's local government response with the response of other local governments around the country. My conclusion remains it is more then fair to hold them accountable for their mistakes as well.

Ok, so we’re the 7th best responding state. Down from 4 about 10 days ago. NY is not perfect. But at least we knew there was a problem, and were always planning for it. Unlike some dorks.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2020-03-17/10-states-with-the-most-aggressive-response-to-coronavirus

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/487811-states-lead-unevenly-on-coronavirus-response

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-aggressive-states-against-coronavirus/72307/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-coronavirus-isnt-just-a-blue-state-problem/

For the first time in history, the states and citizenry can’t look to their federal government for leadership. Its a national catastrophe and embarrassment. Hard times reveal character. The emperor wears no cloths.

#4610 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

What those people don’t realize is when it comes to the subject of life and death they have just lost all credibility for their lifetime. I mean going forward how could I actually take the fake news crowd seriously on any issue. I can’t. They are either completely dumb or so weak minded they follow a cult of personality like cult members do.

They lost their credibility a long time ago. Now we should throw them in jail.

#4614 4 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

I cant stand people blindly talking about free education without considering the implications. We live in the most upwardly mobile educational system win the world, with constant opportunity to retrain, go back to school, and go to school part time and create opportunities for advancement later in life.
Ever live in a country where the government pays for college? It’s not so wonderful, unless you are chosen to attend. The govt pays, so the govt decides who gets an education. Best case scenario, it is truly merit based and, by the time you’re 13 your test results putnyou on a college track. God forbid you screw up your life as a teenager—there’s not so many second chances. Going back to school as an adult is a rarity. Worst case scenario-the govt starts deciding to fund students based on quotas and demographics, not merit. Or you’re told what your aptitude is or what the governments needs are, and what they will pay you to study.
No thanks

No we don’t, dude. Google it. We are about the 20th most “upwardly mobile” country in the world. 20th!! That’s pathetic! There is scant chance anyone will rise above the social station they’re born in to in the US. This isn’t what the founding fathers planned for or wanted. But it’s reality. And it’s not politics! It’s FACT!

#4615 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:A thought did cross my mind last night. A lot of people are giving our leader shit because of things he said. In most cases he said it is what he thought. But also has obviously listened to experts about it and changed what he "thought", into what he now knows and has tried to act accordingly. We hired a business man, not a scientist. That is all.

More like a carnival barker. That is all.

#4617 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:If he wasn’t so dang boastful and could complete a paragraph without sounding like Dr Seuss it would be more helpful also. But as you say, he is a business man not a speaker.

He’s not much of a business man either, if you follow the breadcrumbs.

#4619 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:The thought also crossed my mind what if the other option was in charge now.

What option is that? Actually, never mind. If any other option was in charge now that would be better.

Odin, go to Mickey D’s and grab a couple filet o fish. go back home and drink some jack and play some pinball. too many things are crossing your mind tonight.

#4625 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:Any Stooges fans out there?

Yeah, there’s a certain stooge that has a lot of fans.

I prefer Iggy.

#4626 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Thanks for the info you provided, just a shame that the usual suspects that politicize everything ruined it for you.

Like you?

#4628 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:Der Komboverfuhrer is telegraphing a federal quarantine of NY. If you have the means to get the f out, I would probably do so.

Fuck that. I’d rather be in New York right now than anywhere else. Of course, I’m outside the city, but that said, best doctors and best people in NYC than anywhere. The quarantine should be to keep people OUT.

#4631 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Tonight New Yorkers will be fleeing the state in droves.[quoted image]

Why?

#4633 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Ok, so we’re the 7th best responding state. Down from 4 about 10 days ago. NY is not perfect. But at least we knew there was a problem, and were always planning for it. Unlike some dorks.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2020-03-17/10-states-with-the-most-aggressive-response-to-coronavirus
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/487811-states-lead-unevenly-on-coronavirus-response
https://wallethub.com/edu/most-aggressive-states-against-coronavirus/72307/
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-coronavirus-isnt-just-a-blue-state-problem/
For the first time in history, the states and citizenry can’t look to their federal government for leadership. Its a national catastrophe and embarrassment. Hard times reveal character. The emperor wears no cloths.

Down vote it again bitches. Maybe read the links this time. If you can read.

#4635 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Have you even made one post on here that wasn't a political smear post? Sorry if I don't take you're posts seriously.

You just made the list buddy.

#4636 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I believe that would be you.

You just made the list. You had been a special exception. Not anymore.

#4639 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Awww man the guy deleted his Fox News Paranoia rant. That was some sweet content

I don’t even see it anymore. Which is even sweeter.

#4642 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Re: fleeing states like NYC etc
It is actually not crazy to go to a state with a “nice” governor. As monstrous and irresponsible as it seems, they are getting favored status for covid supplies:
MA received 17% of requested medical supplies from the Trump admin. ME: 5%. CO: 1 day's worth.
FL got everything they requested. + an identical shipment the next week. oh, and a 3rd is on the way.

We’re speaking of a man that wants hotels to receive special bailouts. Gee, I wonder why?

#4832 4 years ago

Anger, disbelief and an exhaustion of patience.

#4836 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is all true.
Yet it’s NYC’s fault.
Everybody is still just in denial and still trying to pass the buck. Meanwhile your kids came back from Florida to Ohio or Mardi Gras to Kentucky and they are spreading it around.

Last I checked NYC was still part of the US. It seems to me that collaboration with the Feds should have occurred and plans should have been in place back in January for anticipating this in the nation’s largest city. But we were being told not to worry and it wasn’t an issue then.

NYC should have been Federal priority #1 then and it should be Federal priority #1 now. But it isn’t. Feel free to opine.

#4838 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The governor of Kansas has put the entire state on shutdown. Essential stuff only. Food. Medical. Go take care of family member. etc.
Here is the scary part. Our previous governor did not sign Kansas up for the Medicade expansion that was coming around with Obamacare. And all of the government money being spent does not look like is helping some people in this state. We have people who are sick but not getting tested because they cannot afford to get tested.
https://www.kansas.com/news/coronavirus/article241558646.html
" As the single mother of a daughter with a congenital heart defect and compromised immune system, Melissa Dodge is taking every precaution she can to limit her exposure to COVID-19.
She’s cut her hours at the grocery store where she works in Derby, Kansas. When she comes home, she doesn’t touch any of her four children before changing her clothes.
Worries about illness aren’t new for Dodge, 35. She doesn’t have health insurance, and getting sick means having to calculate the risk of skipping a doctor’s visit versus paying out of pocket. The coronavirus pandemic has amplified those concerns..."
But Dodge is caught in the triple bind that ensnares thousands of working poor in Kansas and Missouri. She makes too much from her part-time customer service job at the grocery store to qualify for Medicaid herself. She makes too little to buy insurance through the federal health care exchange, and she works too few hours to receive benefits from her employer.
Dodge is one of roughly 130,000 Kansans and 200,000 Missourians who would be covered by Medicaid if their states had expanded eligibility under the Affordable Care Act. The change would cover adults who make up to 138% of the federal poverty line — an income of a little more than $17,600 for a single adult, or $42,300 for a family of five like Dodge’s. "
=================================================
" James Owens, a 51-year-old father of two, has Medicaid, but whether he keeps it each month comes down to a few hundred dollars.
He does handyman jobs for clients around Kansas City, but “unfortunately I report my income honestly.” That means the harder he works, the more likely he’ll earn too much to qualify for Medicaid.
Since the outbreak, all of Owens’ business has dried up. The bills haven’t. “I had work lined up, but it all canceled. I had a couple commercial jobs, too, and again economic uncertainty led to them canceling,” he said.
“When this is over, I need to catch up. I still have to pay my other bills. I’m gonna have to work my butt off to catch up on bills,” Owens said. “So I know I will lose my Medicaid again. There’s no doubt about that. I’m gonna lose my Medicaid coverage because I have to pay bills accrued during this economic shutdown.”
==============================================
There is more of the same at the link.
-----------------------------------------------------

Decisions have consequences. There’s going to be a lot of stories like this. And some of them won’t end well.

#4851 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Here’s Cyd (for Cyd Charisse) demonstrating how to quarantine. She spends at least half the day in this spot, and in this position.[quoted image]

Great name! And what an epic dish. I need more distractions like this:

D5DEF743-7551-4EE3-A0D7-127D25AA9019 (resized).jpegD5DEF743-7551-4EE3-A0D7-127D25AA9019 (resized).jpegAAF07965-F4A8-4E23-8FEE-3D57931F70C4 (resized).jpegAAF07965-F4A8-4E23-8FEE-3D57931F70C4 (resized).jpegE0ED9859-B952-4FE9-827C-B05B27D4BB95 (resized).jpegE0ED9859-B952-4FE9-827C-B05B27D4BB95 (resized).jpegFBF20FDA-525D-4AEF-8D12-069309F83D4D (resized).jpegFBF20FDA-525D-4AEF-8D12-069309F83D4D (resized).jpeg
#4855 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

OMGosh what a (socially responsible) cutie. And I love Cyd Charisse! here is a blog post I did about the arcade in The Band Wagon, and at the end I have a video of one of my favourite routines with Charisse. http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2020/01/exploring-penny-arcade-of-band-wagon.html

I’m going to read this and watch the video!

#4856 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

wow, are those your signed photos?

I wish! But then again, not really, because that would make me really, really old! Instead of just old.

#4866 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Well....Cuomo’s “daily hear himself talk” and post-conference analysis has preempted this airing. Maybe check later tonight they will re-air this. Faheed has the Prime Minister of Singapore on. Very insightful.

You really think Cuomo holds these daily briefings to hear himself talk? As opposed to giving very sober, fact based information to his state? And the country actually, because while it happened here first, it’s coming soon to a city near you! Cuomo’s information could be quite informative and helpful. But maybe you’re relying on other sources?

#4923 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Brother in law is being tested after working on the Covid floor of our local Hospital on Tuesday and showing symptoms on Saturday. Not fun times

Sorry to hear that! Classmate of my wife has it. He posted from his home that it wiped his ass out. Very healthy dude. 53 but looks 35.

Also, good friend works the ER as a nurse at local hospital. She says it’s becoming extremely serious. She’s working double shifts and she’s burnt. This hospital serves a specific part of the community that mostly refuses to social distance, and they’re being hit hard. County cited them twice last week for keeping two schools open. And then someone held a big wedding.

You really can’t fix stupid, when people think they’re entitled or special.

#4929 4 years ago

Yes. He drones on and on at times.

wake me up when Cuomo’s back on.

#4941 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

But the DPA was enacted, they won’t have much of a choice if companies pussyfoot like GM did.

GM didn’t pussyfoot. They’d already forged ahead while the publicity tour was busy trashing them (after first telling them no deal because of the cost). This information is readily available in select, high quality newspapers. Not sure if TV news has covered it because I don’t watch TV news.

Liberty University also open for business! God help them.

Liberty University Brings Back Its Students, and Coronavirus, Too
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/us/politics/coronavirus-liberty-university-falwell.html?referringSource=articleShar

#4945 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Florida. Duval county shutdown its beaches, its neighboring county did not. Wanna guess which is which (this is from Saturday):
[quoted image]

#4951 4 years ago

That would be awesome. Here’s an interesting article on why the US never built the ventilators we’d planned to:

The U.S. Tried to Build a New Fleet of Ventilators. The Mission Failed.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/business/coronavirus-us-ventilator-shortage.html?referringSource=articleShare

#4954 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Think how big and densely populated LA county is and all the incoming and outgoing tourists and commerce. More than most places in the world. It is also a melting pot of people from all the highly infected countries and everywhere else including the rest of the USA and they traveled back and forth as they pleased.
I say weather has something to do with it.

Or your just a few weeks behind. I hope you’re right. My step dad is in Huntington Beach. He’s 80 and in very poor health, with congestive heart disease. He won’t last a day if he gets it.

#4956 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

This got flagged as political? This place is weird. All those shows are defined as "opinion entertainment" by their own network.
Is this like in pro wrestling where you're not supposed to talk about the artifice?

Don’t sweat it. Someone probably flagged you. Lots of tattletales these days.

#4967 4 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

And this is what makes the way USA are dealing with this frustrating. Generally speaking this thing has travelled West from China. China tried to deal with the outbreak by contact tracing before realising that it was too late and they had to lock down severely. Other Asian nations caught on quick and did testing, tracing and lockdown.
The main land European countries were too slow and now we have multiple 100s dying a day in Italy and Spain being the worst hit and health providers completely overwhelmed.
The UK was late going for a full lockdown, instead first trying voluntary isolation, before going for semi /full lockdown we are currently in. We MAY just get away with ONLY 20,000 dying IF we stay locked down for the next 2-3 months.
USA, despite all the heads up and warnings fromehat has happened in other countries, the initial response was 'it's nothing serious', flu kills more people, heart attacks kill more people, it's a hoax being used for political gain. People continued to travel freely, flew Around the country thinking it wouldn't affect them, they're not over 70, don't have health conditions and continued to spread the virus.
You have stated bidding g against each other for PPE and ventilators, everyone is only concerned about themselves, what the economy will be like. (Almost every other country is paying the workers who have had to take these precautions, shoring up the businesses that have had to close). States are squabbling amongst themselves trying to play the blame game, 'it wasn't my fault, it was X or Y or Z, I did everything I could please reelect me. Or just in simple denial. It'll be business as usual by Easter. I cancelled the UK Pinball League for the WHOLE OF THE YEAR on Mar15th because it was obvious the way things were going,
I just worry that sister and family who live in NYC and are teachers are going to be well and truly screwed if they contract and have a bad reaction to the virus as NYC is currently the epicentre and likely to be hit the hardest first. If everyone of importance in USA doesn't start working together the death toll will be in the 100s of thousands - the fact that when it does turn in turn a shit storm every man and his dog is looking out for themselves armed to the teeth with guns, the least of my concerns would be worrying about the virus.

This American Life was absolutely heart breaking today. Some N.Y. stories.

#5036 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Yeah, I know. I was agreeing that people need to have thicker skin if they are going to post in an online forum like this one. The exception is when someone posts something knowingly false that could cause real damage to people.

That’s it right there. It begins and ends right there.

#5041 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

This one was great[quoted image]

Who is French Cut Bikini Wonder Woman for $200 Alex.

#5046 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Wait, why are people on twitter talking about Coronavirus press conference RATINGS??? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. WTF is going on

#5049 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:Trump just pushed back the Easter roll out to April 30. Good for him for listening to the experts.

Yup. Really tremendous. Just beautiful.

#5051 4 years ago

Folks can talk all the crap they want about Trump... at least he listens to the experts and will make changes when necessary. Even Fauci gives him big props for doing that.

Blind squirrels and broken clocks come to mind.

#5052 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:So he’s just as good as every other president. I’m glad you acknowledge the job he’s doing.

Wow. You’re good. You changed my mind!

#5057 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:Ironically I’ve never been to NYC, been all over, first thing I’m going to do when this over is visit and spend some money, NY almost always takes it on the chin during crisis, it’s the least I could do.

Ironically? To who?

#5058 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:Sunshine? What’s a decent hotel in the area?

My house. Actually.

#5065 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Today's chart of deaths.
USA still on track for doubling almost every 3 days, so over 4000 by Wednesday, 8000 by Saturday[quoted image]

I’d like to say that I totally agree that we shouldn’t talk politics in this thread. There’s so much else to talk about. Like the growing infection rate and the growing death rate and the woeful lack of PPE and ventilators for our healthcare workers on the front lines.

I think if we stick to these topics - plus the random “maybe this experimental drug will help” this thread will peter out by Easter. Because these topics are depressing!

#5587 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

New Yorker cover by Chris Ware has got me right in the feels[quoted image]

Good one. Great cover and great mag.

#5768 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

As a society we're quickly learning that things we've been told were impossible to do are actually very possible.

And that things that aren’t very important actually are very important. And vice versa in many cases.

That “homemade style” vent project and other creative measures occurring in various areas, shows just how human ingenuity rises to the occasion. And surprisingly enough, it seems to works just fine even if a bunch of money isn’t the prize. All one has to do is focus on the right things, collaborate, and go for it.

Ben Heck right now is probably working on something amazing!

#5779 4 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

I hope you’re right about this.

Well, me too. But it seems that time and time again throughout history we humans rise to the occasion. We saw birds once and now fly heavy machinery across the sky and into space.

Also, this gave me a chuckle:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/25/821605995/a-funny-talking-dog-gives-tips-on-living-right-during-the-coronavirus-crisis

E9F150F8-5C6A-4F4F-B147-F4089C803928 (resized).jpegE9F150F8-5C6A-4F4F-B147-F4089C803928 (resized).jpeg
#5799 4 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

Yep. Sometimes easier to only focus on the dumb-assery... as there is a lot of it too.

I’ve always preferred the term “ass-hattery” myself!

But I like to think we humans are capable of great things. That’s why I have such high expectations and get so disappointed sometimes.

#5802 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

"When asked if Covid-19 will spur unionization, I first said no—how can you unionize when there's social distancing & u can't even meet
But now I realize so many workers are angry about how their companies handled Covid19, it's spurring lots of organizing"
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/opinion/coronavirus-worker-strike.html

I won’t venture an opinion other than I think a lot of people are going to look at the world they were living in pre-Covid19 and see a lot of things they’d like changed. Perspectives have and will continue to evolve as a result of this. This will be fascinating.

#5883 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

For the billionth time:
it’s far more contagious and deadly than the annual flu. The annual flu doesn’t quickly overwhelm our hospitals causing massive disruption to our health care system, causing even more deaths and misery. We don’t need pop up morgues and hospital ships and triage in the park to deal with the annual flu.
This answer and awful truth won’t change no matter how many times people ask the same question.

I just looked up that between 2013 and 2017 a total of 68,000 died of the flu in Italy. A little over 12,000 per year. They’re at 12,000 after 6 weeks with Coronavirus. It’s not the flue.

#5946 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

[quoted image][quoted image]

It was an inside joke. I’ll bet Levi got it.

#5948 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

He is appealing to my never going to see doctors train of thought.
Let's get some more prescriptions for antibiotics to cure all these viruses.

You do realize that antibiotics fight off bacterial infections, and not viruses?

#5954 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Still a very bad idea to go forward with that type of event right now. Along with low density comes fewer healthcare providers, hospital beds, and ventilators.
You'd think other states would learn from what happened to Louisiana with Mardi Gras, etc. The fair seems like the perfect place to start a North Dakota breakout.

I saw Cheap Trick at the ND State Fair in 1981. They rocked! And they still do:

This clip really makes me smile. Daryl’s House is only about 60 miles away from me and I’ve still never been. This video has totally inspired me to go as soon as this Covid crap dies down.

#5960 4 years ago

Yes the overuse of antibiotics is the coming storm in healthcare. I was at a conference a year or so ago and an infectious disease guy did an entire lecture on the topic. Bacteria don’t like getting killed any more than we do and they WILL figure out a way to survive. It’s a balancing act to use the antibiotics we do have judiciously so we can buy time to develop new antibiotics and hopefully stay one step ahead of the bacteria.

This is interesting. “A coming storm”. As I really thought everyone realized by now that antibiotics don’t fight viruses. I mean, I’ve know this for at least 20 years, and the information wasn’t hard to locate.

Our societal fascination for anti-bacterial soap has been a big topic too, for at least a decade if I’m not mistaken. My household doesn’t use it. And why would we? If we constantly kill all the bacteria we’re exposed to, than our immune systems don’t have a chance to build up defense systems against bacteria. And when that day happens. Boom.

#5961 4 years ago

And for new parents out there, breast feeding is really, really good for the immune system, and all sorts of other benefits for your growing babies. And it’s free.

#5966 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Saw them New Years Eve 1979 at Long Beach Arena with Nick Guilder.
"Hot Child In The city"
That's when we stopped listening to both bands and started calling the headliner "Shit Treak"

I just saw Trick with my wife on Valentine’s Day at the Capital Theatre. And they shredded. Some of the best pop tunes ever written, with little homages to the Beatles everywhere.

The Capital Theatre is a fantastic place for a gig, and has a very illustrious history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitol_Theatre_(Port_Chester,_New_York)

I see about 3 gigs a year there. Only about a 25 minute drive from the house. They’re closed now and have to reschedule all her gigs. https://www.thecapitoltheatre.com/

#5967 4 years ago

Well, she was right. It wasn’t in NY on 3/27. So why are you posting this exactly?

#5970 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

And then they wonder why their GI flora is all fucked up and they have GI issues later in life.

I honestly haven’t taken antibiotics for anything for over 30 years. Growing up doctors prescribed them every time you got a bad cold, so I took them a number of times. But once I hit college I’d heard that when antibiotics are overused they won’t work when you really need them. So I just stopped taking them. Every few years I’ll get a cold with “green sputum” and I still don’t bother going to the doctor and getting antibiotics, because really, it’s going to go away in a few days anyway.

#5971 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've eased up on my opinion of them over the years, but at the time it was a little too bubble gum for me. The concert was actually pretty good because it was mostly the first two albums. Dream Police is when it really started to take a turn for the worse..

What about Nick Gilder?

#5975 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Nick Lowe was better.

Yeah, but this Nick, for awhile anyway, may have had it best of all.

09063DFD-FD84-43AD-B958-D4642148CE1E (resized).jpeg09063DFD-FD84-43AD-B958-D4642148CE1E (resized).jpeg
#5977 4 years ago

I mean, here’s your corona distraction of the day boys and girls

#5979 4 years ago

I self censored those pics, because I recall they’re not appreciated. But they were hot. Jessica was so very hot. Once.

#5996 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Sickens me how some people politicize this situation. Never waste a good disaster. Misinformation, and half truths are the rule of the day. Good thing this is not actually WWIII. We could not possibly be in a situation with less responsible and reliable news and media in general. Listen to the scientists and the CDC, etc, but leave the opinion pieces out because all they are doing is trying to get an R or a D elected this fall through ugly spin. Put the MSLSD, CNN, Fox News, NPR and AOL down. Find out how you can help. If there is nothing you personally can do to help others; then STFU, distance socially and watch Disney Plus or the new season of Ozark.

I have STFU, but I’ll never put down - or “put down” - NPR. One of the single best sources of news and entertainment EVER. Plenty of variety, good, honest reporting, and the best intentions for everyone. Listen to the Brian Lehrer show at 10am ET on WNBC (NYC) once (how about tomorrow morning?) and then tell me he’s bullshit. And while your at it, listen to the BBC news hour, which comes on right before him (same NPR station) at 9am ET. Every weekday.

This is how a lot of educated New Yorkers start their day. Informed, honest, empathetic coverage of the days events. No bluster and no bullshit. Try it. You might like it.

#6111 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

No offense, but I don’t buy it.
First, what PPE? It’ll be months before it’s available to the general public, at best. And even when it is, I don’t see people wearing it to work, the store, etc.
Second, it’s not who we are. Humans are social animals. We will eventually accept that people will get sick so we can go to the mall, have parties, head to the amusement park, etc. I’m not very social, in fact, I’m an introvert. But even I want to get out. And it’s been a few weeks.
A lot of people will die. That’s my prediction. And eventually it’ll work it’s way through society, and we’ll gain resistance. Sucks being an animal. But we are, and it’s not a perfect world.
Anyone who says 100,000 dead is not being truthful. Sorry, not buying it. Million, millions. I’m sorry for those older people in our communities. I’ll do my part to distance and hope a solution comes forth....

Chill out and follow the scientific predictions.

#6114 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:What kind of weak human being can’t sit on his couch for a couple months to help save American lives. Past generations were asked to go off to war for years at a time. What an embarrassment......

Great post. Our sacrifice will be eating beans and corn nuts for 6 months.

#6117 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:That's the fear.....social anarchy, depression, desperation, and crime are going to be the ugly byproducts of economic shutdown. At some point, there will be pushback against stay at home orders. I expect constitutional challenges too.

The reason the world will be in a better place when this is all said in done is that people will realize that living in fear is a prison. Living smart is a reward! The fear mongers will lose, and the world will win.

#6120 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I won't get into details (because of American politics,) but beware there are lots of grifters pushing disinfo about the virus for political purposes, so best stick to what the credentialed channels are saying. Rumours and hearsay will give us false confidence and perhaps diminish our vigilance.

No kidding. People, stop scouring the web for fringe contrarian opinions! They’re everywhere, for a reason. Because any jack wagon can post “information” on the web. And if you truly can’t believe and accept (critically) news and information sources from the reliable sources of record (be they scientific, government or media based), than please consider excusing yourself from the society that every one else is trying to live and survive in. Go to the woods or the mountains or the ocean, and please unplug. Please.

#6123 4 years ago

Here’s the direct link

Frightened Doctors Face Off With Hospitals Over Rules on Protective Gear
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/health/hospitals-and-coronavirus.html?referringSource=articleShare

#6173 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I'm actually on the opposite side of fear mongering, which makes it odd that you decided to downvote every one of my posts. I thought this was a thread of discussion and ideas, presenting the latest news, but I guess not. I have enough stress from loss of my business that I don't need the pettiness exhibited here. Carry on.
PS: Stay safe in NY....hope noone close to you is effected.

Well, my guy, I downvote posts when I feel like it. It’s that simple and it’s not personal.

And I didn’t downvote all your posts. You’ve made 11 posts in this thread and I down voted 4 of them (all of which were related). So less than half. It’s really not a big deal.
I’m sorry your business is threatened. So is mine. And I hope you’re remaining healthy too.

#6181 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

There is no way to accurately know the numbers of those that are asymptomatic or experience mild symptoms...they are unreported/unknown cases...they are just speculating as to what those numbers may be...there is no mathematical way to calculate the unknown.

Which is why I downvoted the posts that referred to those statistics. Plus, we don’t really know exactly what happened in China. I’m not saying there’s a conspiracy or not. We just can’t be sure. We will get a clearer picture as this streaks through North America and we can add our statistics to everyone else’s. I think we can all agree that we would prefer a .066 death rate than 2%.

#6187 4 years ago

Oh for the love of pete. An “outdoor Easter blowout”? Is he a man of the cloth or a used car salesman?

“like Woodstock”. Lol. As if a bunch of Evangelists in a parking lot are ever going to remind anyone of the iconoclastic hippy rock freak out of its era.

Meanwhile, God is just smiling to himself and thinking “thin the herd...thin the herd”.

#6207 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

March 1st
[quoted image]
April 1st
[quoted image]

I see what you did there. Good one!

#6317 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Maybe this is more realistic. Everything is speculation. Nobody can predict the future....[quoted image]

That’s pretty stark, actually. Hopefully the distancing will lower the % even further. The news that most people that go on vents don’t make it is also alarming. As is the fact that if you’re over 50, the chance of you dying goes up quite a bit too.

Probably why tempers flare a little around here.

I got lucky today. For the first time in a week I was able to actually get groceries delivered. And my beer store has a call ahead and pick up system that they have down pretty good. No one in the store, parking lot pick up that keeps the distancing and has plenty of disinfectant handy. All the guys that work there are ready to assist on however you need to wrangle your beer to get it in your car clean. I was able to remove the plastic from a case of Guinness, leave it on the ground, and then deposit my gloves on the ground as well and they took care of it. Simply brilliant.

Now, I need a 1.75 of good Rye and and another .750 of Cinzano Rosso. Wonder if the hard licks outfit has their shit together?

#6320 4 years ago
Quoted from bwill:Here is something that went down in my hometown:
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2020/03/31/coronavirus-test-sites-operate-without-louisvilles-knowledge/5100299002/?fbclid=IwAR0cEWi7yzP1C5umVJclV6oyD91MspkQOaGIts2qnu8P4b8SxgSiwkMC1_c
It appears that some 'testing' companies opened up some drive-in testing facilities over the weekend. There was no coordination with local governments or health officials. It was being run by marketing companies and charging 200-250 a pop for tests. This was all done in poorer areas of town.
It appears to be shady as hell.

Jesus H Christ. Where is the decency? It’s really disgusting and sad and just about every other shitty thing you can imagine.

This is why entrepreneurship can’t be allowed to run wild. Think about it. And then abstract it to a much grander scale.

#6322 4 years ago

Now folks, I am REALLY not trying to get booted from this thread. But doesn’t this underscore the importance of a free press, that can get to the facts with hard nosed - and often risky - investigative reporting? And isn’t it nice to be able to count on such a thing in a world where power had the potential to corrupt absolutely, and do whatever it can to stifle truth?

The first step is not to look at news as political. And if you are having trouble, find different news sources. But the bottom line is news sources are allowed to have an opinion - it’s called “commentary” and “Op-Ed” - but those opinions can still be rooted in truth, whereby the reader makes their own decision. Note I said reader. Very little TV news is worth the time if you’re actually trying to get to the heart of something.

#6326 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:Florida. Am I the only person that can see the city and state next to my avatar?
[quoted image]

I can’t see it when you post. but I see it in your screenshot.

#6330 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:We still don't have one in South Carolina.

There’s a joke here, just waiting to mushroom. But I’m not gonna bite.

#6331 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:The part of that I would fear is the medically induced coma laying there to die.
I would rather be able to move around and go outside, unless it was to the point of not being able to breathe at all. Then I'd probably just lay down under an avocado tree and let nature take it's course.

As that Italian doctor wrote (was quoted) - it’s a key post in this thread - aside from the absolute reality of death, the worst part of this, for those hospitalized, is the dying alone. That goes against every stand of human fiber throughout human history as I understand it.

It’s terribly sad.

#6337 4 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

"Hey guys, I know I messed up on the corona, but I'm sure gonna get those drug guys!! I'm doing SOMEthing right...right?!?"
wow.

At this point, can’t we all just agree drugs for everyone? Responsibly anyway? An interesting offshoot of this might be a reexamination of the way our laws and justice system and prisons work. The US spends a lot of money on incarceration. And maybe some of it isn’t really all that necessary? Just a thought, because prisoners are being released in some places based on their age and the nature of their original crime, etc.

#6338 4 years ago

I will hit the NY times paywall so I can't read the article.
However, I will try to answer your question.
Ventilator support is a last resort measure. It's often the difference between living and dying but it does have drawbacks. The lungs are meant to be a negative pressure system, they suck air in. A ventilator turns them into a positive pressure system as it forces air in. That does damage over time to the lung tissue. Usually when patients are on a vent long term (more than a couple weeks) there are adverse effects on the lungs themselves. The patient is more susceptible to pneumonia and other infections. Pneumothoraces can occur (holes in the lung tissue and then air leaks into the chest cavity).
In the case of COVID-19 I would say the majority of the issue is the ARDS itself. This is a severe respiratory condition with a very high fatality rate. The fact that we can save anyone at all with ARDS is pretty remarkable. There may be long term lung scarring related to ARDS in a survivor.
But, it's better than the alternative in most cases.

Doc, NY Times and WaPo and probably other credible news agencies are giving free access to all their Corona related material. You might have to register (NYT for example), but then all the content in question is free and accessible.

#6340 4 years ago

I will hit the NY times paywall so I can't read the article.
However, I will try to answer your question.
Ventilator support is a last resort measure. It's often the difference between living and dying but it does have drawbacks. The lungs are meant to be a negative pressure system, they suck air in. A ventilator turns them into a positive pressure system as it forces air in. That does damage over time to the lung tissue. Usually when patients are on a vent long term (more than a couple weeks) there are adverse effects on the lungs themselves. The patient is more susceptible to pneumonia and other infections. Pneumothoraces can occur (holes in the lung tissue and then air leaks into the chest cavity).
In the case of COVID-19 I would say the majority of the issue is the ARDS itself. This is a severe respiratory condition with a very high fatality rate. The fact that we can save anyone at all with ARDS is pretty remarkable. There may be long term lung scarring related to ARDS in a survivor.
But, it's better than the alternative in most cases.

One more thing, great explanation Doc. Coincidentally, NPR in NY (WNYC, great station) had an in depth conversation on this exact point this afternoon. It’s really sobering.

#6344 4 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Here's some food for thought.
Have you ever had the media cover something you are an expert on? We can use pinball for example. Usually they will need to report or regurgitate the information the host of a pinball event is being provided to them. Even that or other topics have you caught them slipping up or missing some information?
It makes you wonder when they cover a topic you are NOT an expert on how much accuracy is lost or left out. Not putting anyone at fault or accusing them of lying.....just an observation.....things happen.

We don’t need the media to “report” on Pinball. And other like things. We need the media to report on world events that truly impact and shape the world as we know it. There is good media and there is bad. Frankly, to me it’s always been pretty easy to tell the difference. And a wise person chooses to invest their time in sources they believe are doing all they can to shine sunlight - a disinfectant of sorts - on all the hucksterism and absolute BS the world is told by people with truly something to gain by the truth being buried or discredited.

#6545 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

I actually disagree with this summary. I’m a former journalist that attended one of the best j schools in the nation. No longer in the profession. (The pay and hours are AWFUL.). There are two types of journalists. One is a generalist that typically works in TV or a more entertainment driven medium. Those folks are prone to the mistakes you’re talking about. The other type is your typical print journalist that works a beat. These folks at the New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal and your local newspaper get close to being experts and understanding the nuance of their beat or knowing enough credible sources to help them parse through the information.
I feel It’s important that everyone try to spend a bit more time finding good sources of news. My rule of thumb is the easier it is to consume, the worse it is for you. Print > TV > Some rando with an opinion on Facebook

Pretty much this. And good publications spend a lot of time and effort on research and fact checking, etc. most people aren’t experts on anything, so why that should e the responsibly of a reporter or investigative journalist makes no sense. What you want in a journalist is integrity. It doesn’t matter if they have an opinion on something, or vote a certain way. That shouldn’t disqualify anyone as a responsible journalist. Or anything else for that matter.

#6553 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:Is Westchester County so much worse due to the amount of time commuting in to NYC on mass transit?
Infection rates
New York City- 1:181
Westchester County, NY- 1:92

Yes, probably, re: Westchester. It’s NYCs primary bedroom community. It’s a highly desirable place to live (for the most part) and has pretty decent density in its own right in some areas. Lots of towns with villages and shopping districts. And express trains into Grand Central Station.

My county is right across across the Hudson from Westchester. We’re far less dense (and far less desirable, lol) because to get into NYC we gotta cross that damn river. It’s quite bucolic considering I’m 20 mikes away from the George Washington Bridge. We have about 1,800 confirmed cases. 256 in my town.

#6571 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

Fair but driving effective engagement regardless of forum is worthwhile. I belong to lots of communities, but there are few that we can exchange ideas as efficiently as forums and social media. If this was some random thread about the new Iron Man code, you’d be totally right. This is about a bigger idea and government effectiveness is imperative to us being successful.

Well said.

#6660 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Those posts will age just as well as those from a month or two ago that said no big deal, we will have at most dozens dead.

I wonder if the people that spread all the nonsense will age well?

#6662 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:these are the same people that want to use the coronavirus, and the shift to online classes, to identify professors that aren't sufficiently "patriotic" in hopes of chasing them off their job. There are whole websites dedicated to stalking university professors who don't meet their ideological criteria. it's sad to think that people's minds turn to that in these dark times, but as the article says, it's really a booming cottage industry to be a "citizen journalist"

Well they ain’t journalists and they’re shitty citizens. So these cretins are all batting .000 as far as I’m concerned. Problem is they both fuel and feed on xenophobia and hatred.

#6664 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:10 second google search found 20 stories covering the mistake and apology. I do not waste my time with New York Times or Washington Post so not sure about those "News" sources

Quoted from cait001:

I'm not sure we need to dwell on "some person in the video room maybe used the wrong B-roll during a scene in a single segment". There's more than enough grim facts to focus on. I don't even know if video news bothers with retractions, but NYT and WaPo generally still do.

So true. Conspiracy’s have to have a motive. what’s the motive for showing Italian hospital footage instead of NY hospital footage? It’s the focus on the meaningless that just makes it all the more infuriating.

BTW, If you want to see a NYC hospital to see what’s really going on, well then get your ass in one. And report back.

#6665 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

Everyone makes mistakes. The difference between reputable and non-reputable is that the good ones own their mistakes and address them. Don’t let one mistake discount a mountain of solid reporting.

Of course there’s also those sources that make huge mistakes, then deny making them and take no responsibility whatsoever.

#6667 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

We tried that with NPR, PBS, TASS and BBC. Don't work.

#6670 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:A mistakenly miscredited 4 second video clip on a morning show doesn't shake my faith in the credibility of the mainstream media.
It's just not very important, unless you really believe there's a media conspiracy to convince you that there is a crisis in NYC's hospitals when in fact it's a paradise right now. Don't worry, the NYC hospital B-roll is coming soon enough and it's gonna be horrifying. For now you can rely on the B-roll of body bags being wheeled out to freezer trucks to tide you over.
I kinda hate to stick up for CBS news as their news division is pretty atrocious right now, but I just don't think this "media lie" is worth the 2 straight weeks of play it's going to get on Fox News.

Since I’ve exhausted my ability to downvote the other guy (temporarily anyway) I need to give you an extra boost!

#6671 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

It's conspirational thinking. It's easy and addictive to just build narratives, like how coronavirus is fake because a few people took videos of hospital parking lots looking empty. Same thinking that brought us Sandy Hook Truthers.
I'm going to try and avoid continuing to unravel all these conspiracy slap fights in the thread (I apologize for all the wasted space in the last page,) and I hope everyone else can too, because conspirational thinking can't really be reasoned with. There's always some next exception in line to prove it to them. Some people are just too far down certain rabbit holes, and we have a pandemic to deal with.

I’ve heard that those tinfoil hats cause brain damage. Or was it the other way around?

#6672 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

We are far more spread out than any european country.

NYC: “Hold my beer”.

#6681 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:I don't think this photo was doctored but I could be wrong.[quoted image]

It was. In the real photo everyone is butt naked.

#6685 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Watching a little mainstream news tonight, NBC NEws.
Tons of footage of crowded nyc hospitals with patients in hallways for you crowded hospital porn types. Not sure how many are actually Italian hospitals but one things for sure - lots of horrible shit going on in hospitals right now.

It’s sexier in Italian. And tastes better too. But yeah, pretty fucking horrible. Let’s throw some doubt on it to suspend the reality for a N.Y. minute.

#6780 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

The number was chosen to be used in the future. It was meant to be a marker to declare victory against later. Instead of developing it to make informed decisions, it’s going to be used to say how great a job the government did to make it only 80,000 deaths when we have that many. That’s why there is also no timeframe on it. It’s like wanting a Camaro, but telling your wife you want a Audi. She freaks at the price, and then you “settle” for just a Camaro.
I tried to write that without getting political, but if that went over the line, I’ll take my medicine.

The main point of the article is that no one really knows. Every model is prepared differently and what the WH people/experts did was hodge podge all of them and come up with a number...that a lot of other experts - including some people in the WH - say don’t add up from a predictive standpoint. It’s kind of a weird article.

This is what is cray. The doctor that really pushed the 3 drug cocktail - which inspires some hope - lives in a town 10 miles west of me...which has the largest outbreak in my county:

Touting Virus Cure, ‘Simple Country Doctor’ Becomes a Right-Wing Star
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/technology/doctor-zelenko-coronavirus-drugs.html?referringSource=articleShare

#6831 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Kentucky is now requiring house arrest ankle monitors to be applied to COVID-19 positive people who refuse to stay home. This is actually some pretty forward thinking!

Ah, just weld their damn doors shut!

#6834 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I can't even begin to understand what I'm watching. How did that happen? How is it even possible that that just happened? Has this man been in a coma recently?

Batshit crazy! He should probably sit the rest of this one out.

#6836 4 years ago
Quoted from belairjoe:

were not letting even the Easter bunny in over here! it leaves the basket at the door

No Sees candy this Easter. They are shuttered.

#6838 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

We're Number One! In pandemic chicken and house arrest!
(let us have this, we don't get much positive recognition overall )

Kentucky! I’d post a link to a .pdf, as there are many on the web, but not sure as to the safety of those links. But check out the following if you all have time. I had just reread this last month. It’s pretty entertaining:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18135113-the-kentucky-derby-is-decadent-and-depraved

#7005 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

One take away from that chart is that the longer this goes on the more ridiculous China’s numbers look. It doesn’t help us moving forward, but one can only imagine how much lower the numbers would be throughout the rest of the world had they been honest, transparent, and supplied the rest of the world with accurate information as to what they were dealing with from the very beginning. Sure, every country most likely could have done things better, but the most egregious mistake was made by China and misled the entire world. Now is not the time, but China needs to be globally held accountable for their actions. Each individual country, including our own, will need to hold their respective governments accountable for any missteps as well. Once again, it doesn’t matter right now and moving forward in fighting this, unfortunately we are where we are, but God I wish China would have been truthful. We would be in a very different place right now as their negligence cost the world countless lives. This angers me to no extent...sorry for the rant...carry on...time to do some yardwork!

I can't agree with this. When China was reporting their #s it still looked like a VERY BIG DEAL, and people that mattered in this country chose to deny it and disregard the seriousness of it. And keep in mind, those were publicly reported #s. if you think the US didn't have better intel on the situation you're naive. We did have better intel. From the most valid sources (CDC, WHO, NHS, etc.) it's documented. And I'm sure our moles on the ground were reporting same...before they died of it, possibly.

Its only now, after the US and many other Western countries have left China's reported #s and death cases in the dust that people are questioning the "veracity" of China's reporting. So, yeah, they're lying now about it. But when it was reality, we still ignored them. NOT N EXCUSE.

#7007 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Yesterday I ate an entire loaf of cinnamon raisin bread all by myself. No joke.[quoted image]

take it to PM please...with Odin.

#7008 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:Why is the US such a discombulated Covid mess right now?

Are you baiting me? LOL. We all know why.

#7011 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Daryl from the Walking Dead just before the zombies arrived:[quoted image]

That's a sweet fucking Fanny pack. On Norman Reedus. Daryl wouldn't wear one of those.

#7012 4 years ago

WTF? Are you suggesting humans have an impact on the behavior of the planet? Fascinating.

#7014 4 years ago

IMO, we should acknowledge the global market place we live in and be fair with our trade partners and try and engender positive, win-win relationships. During a global problem, in a global economy, trying to "go it alone" just seems kind of, um stupid. That's all.

#7018 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Amazing that kids can get years in prison for stealing a $50 shirt but terminal malfeasance on this scale will just get you a finger wagging while you start your next term as a highly paid official.

thought better of it.

#7020 4 years ago
Quoted from sven:

I hope the people will hold those responsible accountable. I do think that people in charge are allowed to make mistakes. Huge things like denying a problem when all experts say there is one, or saying 'I really didn't know...', or 'China told us it wasn't that bad, so it's their fault we didn't do the right things', etc.... I hope that will be punished by outcome of later elections.
In Belarus Vodka and saunas will save them from the corona virus https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-belarus-president-refuses-to-cancel-anything-and-says-vodka-and-saunas-will-ward-off-coronavirus-11965396
Unfortunately, in Belarus elections aren't considered 'fair' or 'open'. Fortunately in a lot of countries they are.

There's "mistakes" and there's "negligence" and there's "malfeasance". Let's hope ALL are dealt with accordingly and with justice.

#7021 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:4/2 & 4/3 NY Governor's briefings
4/2: 4/3:

Highlights:
-New manufacturers for PPEs needed (masks, gowns, face shields). Will finance companies to transition to making these products and then also buy the products.
-Hotspots developing on long island
-Javits to now be for covid-19 patients only (as opposed to just non-covid overflow from hospitals)
-Hospitals have effectively been turned into covid-19 ICU centers
-Non-covid cases have significantly dropped. Less car accidents, less bike accidents, less crime, less trauma cases. Cancelled elective non-critical surgery. Less people are getting hurt when just staying at home.
-BiPAPP machines being used for breathing assistance for less serious cases to free up ventilators for more serious cases (more details in the 4/2 briefing)
-NY Governor signing executive order allowing state to take ventilators and PPE from institutions that don't need them right now and redeploy them to where needed right now. The equipment will be returned or reimbursed. National guard will be deployed to pick up and transport ventilators and PPE across the state.
-There are several hundred excess ventilators in hospitals that don't have a high number of covid cases right now. "Several hundred could represent several hundred lives, so am I willing to deploy the national guard and inconvenience people for several hundred lives? You're damn right I am," said Governor Cuomo.
-The burn rate is about 300 ventilators per day. Finding a few hundred ventilators means you found another day.
-State budget passed. Budget was difficult to pass because NY is effectively "broke". NY needs federal assistance.
-This is not a states rights vs federal interference issue. It is a national disaster emergency where states need and are welcoming federal assistance.
-Proposal for rolling deployment of operations. The focus should be directed to each regional situation in the nation as it develops/peaks where ventilators and medical staff are needed most, then shift assistance to the next area that peaks. Help the place that has the most immediate crisis, then move to the next place in crisis.
-When a patient walks in to a hospital, they need a bed, a ventilator, hospital staff with PPE. People will die if one of those things are absent.
-20,000 health professionals outside of the state have volunteered to help NY
-When the curve / urgent need in NY is over, NY will send equipment & experienced staff to wherever needed.

-Don't get a false sense of security from improvised face masks
-15-20% increase in domestic violence reports. NY domestic violence hotline: 1-800-942-6906. Women in domestic violence situations will receive help and will be relocated to find safe shelter. State police will investigate every case.
[quoted image]
[edit]: Do you find these briefing summaries helpful/useful? Not sure if I should continue them considering they're just NY only.

Yes, they're helpful. Cuomo gets it. And he's in control. Gives me hope.

#7022 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:Hate to break it to all these people who keep repeating this.
It is 78 degrees where I am located right now and that is AFTER a little cold front just hit us.
Three days ago was above 90 and hotter even further south.
It will be above 90 degrees here again in next few days and on it's way to staying in the 90s yet Florida... especially South Florida is vying for contention of epicenter every single new day.

Out of curiosity, what does "FYMF" stand for?

#7023 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:Want to start a ruckus in a bar full of rednecks? Play 4-5 songs of hip hop or rap in a row... or maybe some latin music.
Not everyone 'prunes' their internet jukebox fully...

I will definitely keep that in mind if I ever willfully go into a bar full of rednecks.

#7024 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

The coast guard already started rejecting cruise lines calls for sick passenger removal. Cruise companies who are not US flagged and do not have their headquarters in the US were told to contact the country they are flagged in for help (usually Bahamas) or contract a private rescue company. Its ridiculous that they are able to dodge taxes like they do, but still demand US aid like they are owed it. They even try to minimize their docking time on US soil, because many ports are charging huge docking fees in some cases by the hour just to get some kind of money out of the cruise line. Miami charges $80k/day for the Harmony of the Seas to dock there.

I am so freaking in support of this. If you are an American for profit company that has the audacity to dodge taxes by claiming another country as your tax haven....then suck it up fuckers. Because when the shit hits the fan, you're not part of the country, and therefore no longer part of the rescue. You lose. Good day sir.

#7027 4 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:I have watched manufacturing exit America, for the most part.
Our dependence upon chinas manufacturing has landed us here. IMO
We have our own problems, but China. Freedom of speech for example. It is symbolic only- in China. I wish Chinese people the best in life but I must push for American manufacturing. Now. Money where my mouth is.
This cannot happen again. IMO.

Well, if you didn't vote for it the first time, do something about it the next time you have a chance. Representative democracy baby. Make the change brother! This ain't a political statement. This is an appeal for personal responsibility and civic action. You do you. And let the chips fall where they may.

#7032 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:Easy enough, tariffs large enough to deter the tax breaks and cost differences. Won't happen though, and if it did, 'we' the consumers wouldn't like it either.

Someone's got to pay right? So let's see it. Then the economy won't be so fake. Maybe when people see the real cost of things they'll be more open to a global economy.Or they won't! Fair!! But people need to understand the true options, and what they mean. Then they can make a choice.

#7034 4 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:Got this joke some where this morning.
"I didn't know my Grand Mother had a hand gun, until I coughed 3 times, while sitting with her watching TV."

Ok.

#7036 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:...about 60% right.
They told the ships to be ready to stay off shore indefinitely and be prepared to tend for their own. All evacuations would now have be approved. The coast guard could not secure shore side medical treatment and the company would have to prove they've secured their own transportation and medical treatment for the patient once brought to shore for an evac to even be considered. They were also told they should check with their own flagged country --first--
The actual bulletin attached...[quoted image]

o
Unless these are like 4 week cruises, I mean, WTF? Should anyone that got on a cruise ship after the first week of March be given any special consideration whatsoever? Except to maybe be first in line for experimental medical college lobotomies? Willful stupidity should have consequences, and perhaps even be held up as an example in times like these. If old people that maybe didn't do anything wrong can't get a ventilator, than maybe willful dumbfucks should STFU and take their medicine.

#7037 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:I kind of understand why he got sacked. He broke the rules by leaking his important letter to the media.
Basically, he sacrificed his career for his crew, surely as a last resort to get action, to protect the men and women on that ship. He can be proud of his actions and the crew thankful.

That's leadership in a nutshell. He did the most important thing he thought he could for his crew. And he made a supreme sacrifice to do it. He knew full well there are very qualified people that can backfill for his role. And he gave his position up willingly. Bravo.

#7038 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:I just went to the local Aldi store for some essential perishables. I wasn't going to go in if it was crowded, but there were only a small handful of cars there, so I went in.
Food was fully stocked, except for bread. Plenty of eggs, milk, canned goods, frozen foods, etc. Toilet paper and paper towels were still all gone. There was a limit of 6 jugs of milk, and a limit on canned goods.
All the cashiers had plexiglass shields. There were signs everywhere to remind people to keep 6 feet away from each other, and stickers on the floor throughout the whole store measured 6 feet apart saying the same thing
About half the customers in the store were wearing masks, about half were not. There were maybe a dozen people, plus 4 staff. Only a couple of customers were wearing gloves. Staff were not wearing gloves or masks.
I also noticed that the divider bars had been removed from all the check-out lanes.
That was about everything I observed.
[edit]: They also had a sign up about a daily designated shopping time of 8:30-9:30am for vulnerable individuals.

I'm spending about $30 a week in tips and fees (I double the delivery tip to the shopper) to have my groceries delivered. I'm not taking any chances.

#7039 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't usually do a whole lot of cooking from scratch, but I had the urge to make bauernfrühstück this morning for brunch. It's hard to go wrong with this dish. I ended up using a smaller pan than I normally would since I just used my larger pan for something else, but it worked fine.
Sliced up a potato, a quarter onion, half a tomato, and cooked in some oil for a little while. Mixed up 4 eggs and milk, poured in the eggs, and mixed occasionally. Added a little salt. Makes enough for 2 meals. You could throw in green peppers and bacon bits too, but that's optional. There's also a few other things you can add--it's pretty flexible, depending on your tastes and what you have on hand.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

that looks delicious. I'd throw some fresh japalenos or habaneros on that sucker to finish her off. Maybe some free shavacado and cream cheese too.

#7041 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:And only American cheese on Filet O Fish.
Time for breakfast. $4.31 for two. Life is good!
Except the few times I have gone out over the last couple weeks, I have seen more and more drivers that must think they really are the only ones on the road now. Even with a fraction of the traffic, it is almost worse now than it was before.[quoted image]

I'm going to enjoy these posts until (unless) they unexpectedly stop. I sincerely hope they don't brother. Because I appreciate your undying love of American food (fast or otherwise). I grew up in SoCal when you did, and I totally get your fanfare. It's legit, even if some of the fast food places are less legit than they used to be.

#7042 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

My mom who lives with us is cranking out these masks like a squirrel on speed. Beer for the guys, pretty floral designs for the women. I love mine.[quoted image]

Am I the only one a little disappointed in these "full disclosure" pics of the Corona situation? I mean, really, a bunch of true pics of balding (and hair recessive) pinheads isn't making this crisis any easier!

I pretty much envision all pinsiders as 1970 Clint Eastwood in a crazy three way with Penthouse Pets. Not...reality.

#7044 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

sorry to diverge from the current topic of food ( I am getting hungry)
interview on leadership
NPR's Rachel Martin talks to retired Army General Stanley McChrystal, who commanded forces in Afghanistan, about remote work leadership during a national crisis. He founded the McChrystal group.
RACHEL MARTIN, HOST:
General Stanley McChrystal says watching the spread of the coronavirus reminds him of another fight, a fight against an enemy that is also hard to predict and detect. In 2004, the general took over the Joint Special Operations Task Force and oversaw operations in Afghanistan and Iraq. And in his book "Team Of Teams: New Rules Of Engagement For A Complex World," McChrystal and several members of his team share what they learned.
General McChrystal joins us now. Thanks so much for being with us.
STANLEY MCCHRYSTAL: Thanks for having me, Rachel.
MARTIN: So you say the current situation reminds you of, in particular, the early months fighting al-Qaida in Iraq. Explain that comparison.
MCCHRYSTAL: Well, that was unexpected because we had been purpose-built as a counterterrorist force to operate as a traditional military unit and do sort of slow, periodic but very precise operations. And we got against al-Qaida in Iraq, which emerged - starting in 2003 - as a completely different kind of organization. It was viral. It was amorphous. It constantly adapted. It was a bit like COVID-19.
And getting your arms around it required us to operate in a fundamentally different way. We had to connect our force and realign ourselves every 24 hours because the fight changed so fast. So the reality was winning that fight was less about barrel-chested commandos going in the door and capturing someone. The reality was, how could you pull information, understand the big picture on a constant basis and then apply your resources most effectively?
MARTIN: How do you lead through unpredictability when there is such a vacuum of information?
MCCHRYSTAL: First is a little bit of management. First, you set up a system that can bring in information, that can cross-level both the information, best practices; what's working and what isn't - and so the entire organization gets smarter. That's critical. The second is the leader has to, first and foremost, be absolutely straightforward with all the people they're leading, has to tell them the truth. Even though the truth can change from day to day, we've got to have a level of candor that convinces people that what they're getting from the leader is the best information available at the time.
The second thing the leader has to do is give confidence. And if you think of Winston Churchill in 1940, Britain was thought to be about to lose the war. And what he didn't say was - he didn't say, we're winning. He didn't say, we're about to win. He said, we'll never surrender. He built their confidence for the long haul. I think that's what leaders have to give at every level.
MARTIN: So how do you come down on sharing public information? I mean, when you're running a counterterrorism operation, there are obviously a lot of things you don't want the public to know because it jeopardizes that mission. A public health emergency is so different. How important is accurate public information even though it might be frightening?
MCCHRYSTAL: I think it's critical because if you think about it, what we don't know leaves a vacuum in our mind, and we fill it with the most terrifying ideas. And so I think it's much better for us to get the best information we can, give transparency as best we can. People can handle bad news or frightening news if it's put into context for them and they believe it's accurate.
MARTIN: Have you given thought to how fear can be used productively, though, in a situation like that? I mean, I imagine, as a leader, you need to use anxiety or fear to motivate. Right? But you can't incite it so much as to cause people to become desperate. But if people aren't afraid, then they don't take the threat seriously.
MCCHRYSTAL: That's exactly right. You have to balance it. You've got to tell them that there's a serious problem, that they need to fear the enemy; they need to respect the enemy. But at the same time, you have to build their confidence that says, if you do this right, we can win this. A lot of people have used the analogy of a war, but we really haven't asked the American people to sacrifice for a war since World War II. I think we could mobilize ourselves for what is a warlike threat from a virus that's producing things. And I think the American people want to contribute. They're already scared. I think what we could do is use that as a unifying idea that says, this problem is big enough it requires everybody to focus - it requires some sacrifice from each of us.
MARTIN: What needs to be happening right now that is not?
MCCHRYSTAL: We should not be fighting COVID-19 as 50 separate fights, 50 separate states and territories and certainly not at individual municipal levels. This needs to be a collaborative, national-level fight. When the president talks to the nation about COVID-19, I wish he'd stand up in front of a map and he'd show what things are and he'd say, America, this is an American problem - it's also a global problem - we're going to fight it as an American fight, not as leaving any city or state off on their own to do as well as they can.
MARTIN: But the president has suggested - more than suggested, he has said outright that this is a problem best managed at the state and local level. You disagree.
MCCHRYSTAL: I disagree fundamentally. I think that there are things that are - execution at the state and local level, certainly people in hospitals are making very local decisions, and they're executing. And you don't want to micromanage that, but you do want to manage the overall effort, particularly when you have a shortage of resources.
MARTIN: We talked earlier about what it takes to lead through unpredictability. But how do you reassure Americans right now who don't know when this is going to be over?
MCCHRYSTAL: The first thing we don't want to do is give people an expectation that we are going to have - on date certain, we'll all go back to the park and restaurants and whatnot because then, if it doesn't happen, that disappointment is crushing. But if we tell the nation this is a long, hard fight, we're not sure when it's going to get better, all we can guarantee you is it's going to get better and we are not going to give up until it does. Then people can calculate differently. It's really important to give people realistic appraisals so that we're not, you know, leading them to big disappointment.
MARTIN: Managing expectations.
MCCHRYSTAL: Yes, ma'am.
MARTIN: General Stanley McChrystal, who commanded forces in Afghanistan and Iraq and founded the McChrystal Group, thank you so much for your time, General. Take good care.
MCCHRYSTAL: You're kind to have me. Take care, Rachel

I hope NPR is OK when it interviews an avowed critic of Obama/Biden and keeps it real.

#7045 4 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:Here's what I did on Wednesday.[quoted image]

And that's why you have god like tendencies!

#7047 4 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:I'd rather pay 23.99 and not work as hard. I even had my son in law bring them home from work at Costco. Gave him a credit card to use for awhile. We have tp.[quoted image]

good lord, can we please post pictures without pale (pinside) male feet in them? It bugs the fuck out of me on porn hub, and that's under the best of circumstances!

#7049 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Interesting to see the way people respond to our gov'ts aid package. What bugs me the most is that many of my fellow citizens cry for free-market capitalism, which has it's good and bad points, until the handouts start flowing. It's amazing that people who max out debt, don't save a dime, and bitch about paying taxes are the first in line and the loudest when shit hits the fan.
I do agree that those who need help should get it - those who need things like food and shelter and keeping a business alive - but if irresponsible consumers need to sell some assets to get by, that's life. The government's role is not to support quality of life, especially at a citizen's convenience.

yup. hypocrites.

#7050 4 years ago

o

Quoted from Jaybird815:Welcome, Captain happy vibes!

Yeah, the truth sucks sometimes. I have good vibes because while I'm truthing tough truth, I'm jamming cheap trick tunes on my G&L Strat in my home office and I'm still employed for the time being. And starting cocktail hour around 3pm on the daily.

#7051 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

The local Kroger (Louisville, KY) had brisket and pork ribs on sale for $2/pound last week. I’m still kicking myself for not buying brisket. Our damn freezers are full. I did buy and make some ribs, yum yum...[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's beautiful. I loves me some baby backs. And yours look superb. That will become a staple if times get seriously sideways.

#7053 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:First sign of being infected is repeatedly hallucinating this.

[quoted image]

Aw Kim, I never realized! If I'm in your head that bad, should I go back to the Jessica Simpson bikini avatar?

#7057 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:Did you book one?

No dude. Because I'm not stupid. That said, I'm on the phone with my dad on the daily imploring him to not book another cruise. To his credit, he did cancel his June voyage. But if cruise lines are trolling the way Levi posted they are, fuck. 80 year old people are susceptible to that BS

#7058 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I was chatting on WhatsApp today with a good friend and colleague of mine in France. A friend ours and her family are battling with COVID19 at the moment. Her son has it rather mild, her case was kind of medium and they are both on the mend. Her husbands case is much more serious, but they think he is going to pull through (although that was questionable up until today).
Appearantly one of the side affects some of them are experiencing is loss of smell and loss of taste (even after recovered) as well as trouble breathing and getting tired (winded) easily.
I was well aware that this can cause perminsnt lung damage, but don’t recall people discussing loss of smell and taste buds.
Maybe some of the members in the medical field can chime in if this is a common thing?

It is. I don't have immediate sources, but I recall anecdotal descriptions of this phenomenon. IMO, If you suddenly have a loss of smell or taste, call your doctor and consider every precautionary measure you can take.

#7069 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That was an old story... basically boilerroom talking points on their sales agents in one call center. It was from the start of the crisis before the shutdowns were starting.

Ok, but critically speaking, why bail out a floating party, with a third world flag, when parties on land can easily replace them? Seriously, the cruise ship industry is really, really low on any list of priorities here. Feel free to debate otherwise.

#7109 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Most of you think this is excessive or justified? I don't see it any different than exercising by yourself which is not endangering anyone to the virus but I guess it gives other idiots the idea that beaches are open for parties or gatherings.
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-03/paddle-boarder-arrested-in-malibu-after-flouting-coronavirus-closures

Excessive for what? He disobeyed the orders of the lifeguards. Repeatedly. The Lifeguards called the cops after 30/ minutes of this guys bullshit, and they arrested him. Good!

It’s exactly this type of “rules don’t apply to me” behavior that messes with the dynamic of society under normal circumstances. Now? It’s even more offensive.

Funny note. When typing the “rules don’t apply” sentence, at first I fat fingered it and the autocorrect turned “don’t“ into “RobT” ! hilarious.

#7111 4 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Arrested and put in jail in very close quarters to other inmates... I think Darwin may win over the paddleboarder.

In Malibu? Eh, probably kill a few hours in a cell two doors down from Charlie Sheen on one side and some wannabe Tiger King dude on the other. Plenty of room. Jail in Malibu is nicer than your house.

Just kidding. I have no idea what the Malibu jail is like. But in reality, it IS probably nicer than my house.

#7116 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Hey Family Acade , I want to see Jessica Simpson back . We all feel for New York at this time but I think Jessica in the bikini will brighten up people more .

I gotta say I agree with you! How about this one?

I’d attach the photo here - which is sheer candy - but I don’t think Pinside allows that anymore.

#7127 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Thanks so much for that . Post the candy photo , what's the worst that can happen , they delete it , but I'll be ready to take a screenshot

Quoted from jlm33:

Ah pinsiders... you give 'em a little bit of freedom and we all know how it ends !

Oui! Oui!

#7140 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

No, I believe it’s a factual statement.

Never mind.

#7149 4 years ago

New York getting ventilators from China and Oregon now. Very generous.

#7240 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Btw, planning for death is part of life.
I did a bunch of Wills and Trusts last week for the procrastinators
I suggest you guys get your estate planning done. Especially you Levi

Very poor taste.

#7347 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Well, people can get pissed. I’m not wearing a mask to go grocery shopping. Next thing you know, they’ll be taking body temp scans at the door.
I get that people are dying. It’s a shitty virus. But I think it’s starting to get blown out of proportion...

Don’t be “that guy”. You’re better than that.

#7357 4 years ago

You're not telling us anything we don't already know.
Here's the real question, are you saying you are willing to sacrifice someone else's life to preserve your what, income? Ability to go to Lowe's?
Exactly what are you willing to sacrifice someone else's mom or grandmother for? How many people are you willing to sacrifice? 1? 10? 100? What's the line for to preserve your personal way of life? Is it too much to ask that you inconvenience yourself for 30 days to save someone's life? 60? How much inconvenience is it for you to just wear a mask in public?

Seriously, don’t bother. You’ll see.

#7370 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yes it is too much. I am part of the “essential service industry”
Where do you live?

#7379 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:.
But it can’t go on forever.

When you type this out, how many of the people you think read this think “it’s” going to “go on forever”?

My guess? Zero.

How many of the people preaching caution and safety and personal responsibility and sacrifice hope the economy goes to shit? My guess? Zero.

I’m just glad I’m more afraid of death than losing my standard of living. I think THAT’S genuine darwinism in action. Not whatever you and Icey are selling.

#7381 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:Why isn’t there the same outrage every year for the tens of thousands that die from the ordinary flu virus, drug overdose, cancer, alcohol abuse, diabetes, abortion, etc etc?
That’s why we have Doctors and a medical system right?
And drug companies?

You haven’t burnt one single calorie to understand this crisis any better than you did two weeks ago have you? And you’re proud of it!

#7384 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:Sorry, but that’s a very short sighted view of the situation. Would you be ok with a complete collapse of the US? Government ceases to exist? Food is obtained via bartering? Medicine is gone. He who has the best weapons rules, and those who lack protection get shot and killed for their goods? I could go on. And it could be reality.
It’s a lot deeper than what’s in my 401k. It’s about providing stability for myself and my family.

I think you have an overactive imagination and have probably watched too many movies. This country has been through worse and triumphed. Try and have some faith in yourself, your fellow man, your country and the world you live in. These dire dystopian proclamations are worthless. They do nothing to help the situation. Build your bunker and weapons and food stockpiles if you must, but try not to agitate the rest of us. Please?

I mean, if things are “end of days” bad, the media would be writing about it 24/7 right?

#7386 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:Where was Dr Fauci and Dr Birx and the rest of the medical community when it first started ?
You heard the answer.
Sorry but this isn’t the world I’m living in
You guys need to find some faith and hope
In the meantime, the world economy has to survive despite it sounding crass and insensitive

If this economy doesn’t survive another will certainly take its place. Maybe one where property is theft. Ya never know.

#7390 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

You aren’t understanding the point. Kiss our way of life goodbye if we stay closed until August.
It’s not feasible, we are talking global carnage on a grand scale that will dwarf whatever a worst case scenario is from these data modelers.
Our economy drives the world’s economy. You do get that right? Add in all other countries’ economies getting blunted at a similar rate and you have something economically that we have never seen before, EVER! That scenario would make the Great Depression look like a mild recession.

We’re in debt up to our eyeballs. It’s a game. Maybe we lost?

#7405 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Like I said, my mind is malleable. Maybe after some thought I’ll change my mind. Just seems extreme right now.
I miss the days of being 16 with a cute girl in the passenger seat, driving along, smoking doobies, listening to music without a care in the world...

I can appreciate that. We all feel nostalgic that way. Change is upsetting. It’s the unknown. I just think you’re going way overboard with this mad max stuff. I also think part of our problem as a society is nostalgia for smoking doobies without a care in the world while a very large part of the world lives in poverty or oppression. I’m part of that problem. In my heart of hearts I want to fix it. Maybe this is the opportunity.

Frankly, I couldn’t care less if Wal-Mart and Amazon (And so many others) and their respective cultures survive this. But that’s just me.

#7435 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Right. How will you feel about it if we close the economy for 6 months, society collapses and a gang of thugs show up at your house with AK47s? I guess they beat you at the game of Darwinism?

I would expect the US Army and Marines and National Guard - and cops! - to mow down the Mad Max crew in short order. We’ll all be the better for it.

I have two Seal Team 6 members in my immediate family. I have the utmost confidence that our military can do the right thing in OUR country, just like they kick ass in freaking anarchic situations as a matter of course around the world ALL the time.

YMMV.

#7441 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

It’s not stressful for me. I am well prepared.

AK-47 stash?

359 posts in this topic match your search for posts by thefamilyarcade. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thefamilyarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=thefamilyarcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.