272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

467 posts in this topic match your search for posts by swampfire. You are on page 1 of 2.
#81 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

C’mon man, you know it’s serious if the Republicans and Democrats are agreeing on everything, which I think is highly commendable on both sides.

Nobody wants to be responsible for 1 million Americans suffocating to death. At this point almost every politician finally agrees on the need for at least an initial lockdown. The real test of political will will come 2-4 months from now.

#252 4 years ago

At this point we're just fighting math. 30% increase per day makes me want to become a loan shark:

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 2.06.08 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-20 at 2.06.08 PM (resized).png
#255 4 years ago

Here’s a good article about what we might expect after the initial lockdown (the “Hammer” in this metaphor):

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

#350 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

We are leaving France and South Korea in the dust. At this rate, tomorrow the US will overtake Iran and be in position #5 as the testing is getting started.

To compare countries you should sort by the last column. The country we just passed is China. US only has about 1/4 as many infections per capita as France (but only because we are a week or 2 behind them). See the chart below.

Quoted from cottonm4:

As for the ratio of deaths to recoveries, the US is not the place to be.
233 deaths vs 125 recoveries.

Recoveries lag deaths by several weeks, since you’re not “recovered” until you’re clear of the virus. Actually there’s no meaningful way to compare any of the columns at this point, because they represent different points in the progression of the disease.
591C82D4-C277-4ECE-8B44-69816F63D242 (resized).jpeg591C82D4-C277-4ECE-8B44-69816F63D242 (resized).jpeg

#391 4 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

All of these decisions have been made after examining all possibilities, by people with far more resources to crunch the numbers than anyone on here. I can guarentee that no government in the world would choose to make these decisions, with the huge financial cost, if there was any other choices.

#409 4 years ago

South Korea and Singapore learned a lot from SARS. They have a pretty sophisticated system for tracking contacts, and of course they did a ton of testing early on to isolate people.

#429 4 years ago

One week of total shutdown could actually have a big impact on the growth rate (R). How soon is just as important as how long.

#457 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thanks. I did not know you could stratify this table by clicking the arrows up top. In each column, too. And even alphabetically as shown here.
[quoted image]

Yeah, it’s a pretty sweet site. The only thing I wish they had was “deaths per Million”, so that we could see where we are relative to other countries. The best way to fact-check our infection count is to compare the US to another country that’s reached the same death rate (per Million). Everything should be normalized by population IMO.

#566 4 years ago

Some positive news from Georgia. I think people are staying away from restaurants, even though they aren’t closed yet. After 8 days of eating at home, my wife and I went to our local Cuban restaurant at noon yesterday. Normally there are people lined up waiting for a table on Fridays. But there was only one couple in the restaurant besides us. We sat about 20 feet from them, and service was strangely normal (no changes to the menu, great service as always). I bought a $100 gift card on the way out. We were as careful as possible of course. We washed our hands coming in and leaving, and I washed my credit card when I got home.

I think people are getting hung up on this being an “all or nothing”. Yes, we should stay home as much as possible. But a 90% isolation approach is much better than ignoring the virus entirely.

#597 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

So everyone should practice "social distancing" except when it's inconvenient or it gets a bit boring?
I wonder how that's going to work out for us?
https://staythefuckhome.com/

A month ago I was called “hysterical” for being concerned about hospital bed shortages. Now I’m being called out for not being perfect. We make a thousand decisions a week, and they won’t all be right. The good news is that we don’t all have to be perfect to make a difference.

#627 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

It's not convenient for any of us to voluntarily miss out on all of the things we enjoy like going out to eat or play pinball on location. I don't blame you for wanting to do those things. I want do do those things too!!!
When you go out to eat at a restaurant, the waitstaff is within 2 feet of you (or closer) and is breathing all over you. And you and everyone else who's gone in to eat that day, are breathing over him/her.

We’re on the same side (concern). To be in solidarity with my friends in big cities where the SHTF moment is already here, I won’t go to another restaurant or other non-essential commercial setting until the danger has passed for everyone. Thanks for keeping me honest.

#656 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Not saying we're not headed down the same path as Italy but the US has a much larger population (327m vs 60m). Does that chart take population into consideration?

I would ignore the numbers and focus on the rate of growth, R. Actually though, I’m going to ignore all the charts few a few weeks while our testing capability catches up.

#657 4 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

NYC and Philly airports closing. Serious enough for people yet??

I just flew home from Philadelphia 8 days ago. I suspect that our Philly-based workforce will be WFH until June, given how close PHL is to NJ and NYC.

#690 4 years ago

(I’m not ribbing you Levi, just happened to see this meme about the same time as your post)

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm ok! Was just doing some stuff away from the phone/computer.
I'll be the first to admit I needed a break. Been taking a few bike rides, playing a little pinball. It's beautiful out there the last 2 days.

6C76E53C-E52A-4CFA-9C7D-D2ADC591F8F6 (resized).png6C76E53C-E52A-4CFA-9C7D-D2ADC591F8F6 (resized).png
#697 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Since we may be slammed back into medieval time I will stop carrying a gun and start carrying this. Good for chopping off heads and running people through. Ye old broad sword

Is it 6 feet tho?

#776 4 years ago

#798 4 years ago

I don’t see a lot of value in rehashing how we got here over and over. There will be time for a post-mortem after we get through this. There’s definitely no danger of someone making a mistake and not getting noticed. This is honestly the best time to say the hell with politics for a couple of months, let’s support each other, and that includes the leaders we may really dislike.

If there’s any good news right now, it’s that we are ALL taking this seriously now, on a bipartisan basis. It’s not a left vs. right thing any more, it’s responsible vs. irresponsible.

#853 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I highly doubt any respected, educated man of science is likely to get awarded that medal anytime soon. Not until hannity gets one at least.

if you watch the whole video, he was awarded the MOF in 2008 by George Bush.

#874 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Nice post!
This man has such a great presence, and instills a genuine sense of calm, while giving detailed and explicit info on viral killers. Pretty amazing life....and he's 79!?!?! Wow!
His accent is fantastic too!

Fauci reminds me of George Burns: everyone loves him. He’s going to be around for another 20-30 years, I hope.

#963 4 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

The world needs to hold them accountable.
Watch "wuhan market | Chinese Street Food | Street Food" on YouTube

Wild animal markets are sketchy, factory farming is sketchy, basically meat is sketchy. I’m still going to eat it though.

#976 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Hey guys - we are up to #3.

Well that escalated quickly

#999 4 years ago

I’ll unroll this here, but please donate to this guy’s friend’s cancer GoFundMe if you enjoyed it (2nd link):

https://twitter.com/danajaybein/status/1240307541491494912?s=21
https://www.gofundme.com/f/shannon-fights-cancer

Is this a sore throat?
Is this just allergies?
Caught in a lockdown
No escape from reality.

Don’t touch your eyes
Just hand sanitize quicklyyyyy
I’m just a poor boy, no job security
Because of easy spread, even though
washed your hands, laying low
I look out the window, the curve doesn’t look flatter to me, to me

mama, just killed a man
i didn’t stay inside in bed
I walked by him, now he’s dead
mama, life was so much fun
but now I’ve caught this unforgiving plague

mama, oooooh
didn’t mean to make them die
if I’m not back to work this time tomorrow
carry on, carry on as if people didn’t matter

Too late, my time has come
sends shivers down my spine
body’s aching all the time
goodbye everybody, I’ve got the flu
gotta leave you all behind and face the truth

mama, oooooh
I don’t wanna die
I sometimes wish I never went out at all

I see a little silhouette of a man
what a douche, what a douche
did he even wash his hands though
security is tightening
very very frightening me
Gotta lay low (gotta lay low)
Gotta lay low (gotta lay low)
Gotta lay low masturbate
Masturbate O O O O

I’m just a poor boy, facing mortality
HE’S JUST A POOR BOY FACING MORTALITY
spare him his life from this monstrosity
Touch your face, wash your hands, will you wash your hands?
BISMILLAH NO WE WILL NOT WASH OUR HANDS! (WASH YOUR HANDS!)
BISMILLAH NO WE WILL NOT WASH OUR HANDS! (WASH YOUR HANDS)
BISMILLAH WE WILL NOT WASH YOUR HANDS! (WASH YOUR HANDS!)
WASH YOUR HANDS! (never, never, never wash your hands oh oh oh oh oh oh oh)
No no no no no
Oh mama mia, mia (mama mia wash your hands!)
COVID-19 has a sickness put aside for me, for me
So you think you can stop me and just shake my hand?
So you think we can hang out and not break our plans?
Oh baby, can’t do this with me, baby,
Just gotta stay home, just gotta stay home with my fever
oooooh

Curving can get flatter
Anyone can see
Curving can get flatter
Curving can get flatter, you’ll see

Just look out your windows….

FLATTEN THE CURVE

#1017 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Newest Covid-19 numbers by country

USA is at 81 cases per million, Italy is at 886 (10x), so we have a little time before we catch up. 10 days at least.

[EDIT] Damn, NY state is at 616 per million (12,316/20), not far behind Italy at all. Be safe and be well, my northern friends.

#1030 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

For what it’s worth, Italy has a nationalized health care system. Like what people are proposing for the USA.

Italy’s is one of the best in the world, actually.

#1142 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Right now, the odds reflect a 95% chance of there being more than 100,000 confirmed Coronavirus cases in the Unites States by March 31st. There are ~26,000 confirmed cases today. The current numbers reflect a ~l 10% daily growth rate.

It’s a 30% daily growth rate, and I think we’ll be at 100k by next Friday (27th).

#1153 4 years ago

Here’s my question. Only 2% of cases in the US have resolved (Recovered or Death). What is the criteria for “Recovered”, and are people still infectious up to the point where they test negative? As an example, if I had this in mid-February and I feel better now, could I still be infectious?

#1199 4 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

VOX is a tabloid, not a scientific journal

I didn’t see any bias or misinformation; it’s a good article. If we’re only allowed to share scientific journal articles, I’m outa here.

#1301 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Rand Paul, Senate typhoid mary:
During the Senate GOP lunch today, Moran told colleagues that Rand was at the gym this morning, per two sources briefed on the lunch, and that he was swimming in the pool. Rand got his COVID-19 results back this morning.

Not defending him, but do we know he got back his results before going to the gym? If yes, that’s horrendous. But it’s possible that he found out after.

#1305 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Everything I've read or heard reported said after being tested you were to self quarantine until you got a negative result.

Ah right - assume it may come back positive. That does make sense. Especially if you’ve been exposed.

#1310 4 years ago

So New York (state) is now up to 1,136 cases per million, compared to Italy’s 978. I’m keeping you all in my thoughts right now, especially those with elderly parents.

#1409 4 years ago

President is still saying “the Chinese virus”.

#1413 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I cleaned my guns and took inventory of my ammo this weekend. Guns locked and loaded. I sure as hell hope I don’t need them.

EDIT: never mind, asked and answered

#1420 4 years ago
Quoted from vex:

I think he said China virus, indicating the origin of it. A virus is not a race, but its passport was clearly stamped in China.

Maybe it’s just me, but it seems racist as hell.

#1426 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well, I still call Chow Mein "Chinese food". Am I a racist?

False equivalence.

#1432 4 years ago
Quoted from Powdevil:

I can see the moderators are going to have to start a new Official Coronavirus thread. This one’s gone completely to hell.

We’re not out of ventilators here yet

#1438 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

In other news people in the North can no longer refer to the area at the bottom of the country as the South because they were the enemy.

In other news, the phrase “politically correct” was invented by people who wanted to be able to say whatever they wanted with no consequences.

#1445 4 years ago

I wanted to avoid politics, but it kind of enrages me to hear “we inherited an obsolete system” over and over again. When you’re 3 years into your term, you own what you have. It hits home, because any engineering manager who pulled that shit would be fired. You might get 6 months to blame your predecessor, but after that you own it.

#1460 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Don't forget the airlines!

I can’t, I’ve already lost $6k betting on Delta.

#1466 4 years ago

The biggest danger for me right now is that my head is going to explode watching these press conferences.

A9CC61C6-9354-4ED3-9961-43714044820F (resized).jpegA9CC61C6-9354-4ED3-9961-43714044820F (resized).jpeg
#1469 4 years ago

Toilets: flush 10, maybe 15 times
Surgical masks: DON’T THROW THAT AWAY, we have amazing liquids

#1490 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not getting political, but I have noticed recently a lot of working together and less bickering back and forth within the powers that be.
Pinside hasn't reached that plateau yet.

You must not be watching the same press conference that I am.

#1497 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I haven't watched in a few days. I was referring to when Ca announced it's lockdown.

Honestly it’s just disappointing. Early last week I was willing to give the big guy a break, and he seemed to be turning a corner. Now he’s back to campaigning and blaming. I’m not gonna try to kick that football again, he pulls it away every time.

#1541 4 years ago
F8A4ECC2-B247-4063-95B1-7F46C365FFCF (resized).pngF8A4ECC2-B247-4063-95B1-7F46C365FFCF (resized).png
#1581 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

We've been told we're on day 7 of 15. What realistically happens on day #15?

That’s when they’ll roll out the 90 day plan, and I’m not joking at all.

#1583 4 years ago

Here’s a sobering account from a 31-year-old nurse practitioner in Albany GA (my state).

“COVID19 is not like the flu...at all... How do I know? Because I’ve lived through it to tell the tale!

Memoirs of a 31 y.o. male with no underlying health conditions.

March 3, 2020-Bronchitis like illness started, dry cough, no fever

March 5, 2020-Low grade fever starts, still thinking bronchitis

March 6, 2020-Fever climbs from 99.8 to 102.6 in one hour, thought it was flu and was now outside the Tamiflu window, stayed home for symptom management.

March 9, 2020-Fever of >102 continues, this isn’t flu, go to urgent care, diagnosed with pneumonia, started on Levaquin.

March 11, 2020-3 doses of Levaquin in, no improvement in symptoms, go to ER. Admitted, swabbed for COVID19, IV antibiotics got pneumonia on chest CT.

March 12, 2020-Get to a room and placed on supplemental oxygen via nasal cannula, 1 liter per minute (lpm). I’m only able to achieve 500 on my incentive spirometer, for perspective-my healthy lungs could hit 4000.

March 13, 2020-O2 saturation begins to decline, oxygen increased to 2 lpm, then 3 lpm, then 5 lpm. Oxygen saturation 88% on 5 lpm. The decision is made to use high flow (vapotherm) and move to ICU. Placed on 40 lpm and 60% oxygen. I’m terrified at this point because vapotherm is all that is standing between me and the ventilator. This is the moment I would have died at home had I not come to the hospital when I did. I would have respiratory arrested in my bed.

March 14, 2020-I have a bad coughing spell, my oxygen saturation drops to the 80’s. I’m still on 40 lpm and 60%. I’m trying to gasp for air, but because of the condition of my lungs, can only take small breaths without coughing more. I feel as though I’m about to die, my heart is racing, oxygen still low, and I’m sweating profusely. Im in respiratory distress! I pressed my call light trying to get the attention of anyone who can help. My nurse was in another room tending to another sick patient. Fortunately he sees me and comes to my room. I am now on 40 lpm and 100% oxygen, next step is the ventilator. I’m terrified. My breathing slows as my oxygen saturation slowly returns to the 90’s. I’m weaned back down to 60%. The same thing happens again in the night, and again I thought I was about to leave this world. Again I’m on 100%, this time for several hours. I’m slowly weaned again to 60%.

March 15, 2020-My morning arterial blood gas (which hurts like a ) is normal. I get weaned to 50%.

March 16, 2020-My oxygen saturation is 97%, I’m weaned further to 30 lpm and 40%.

March 17, 2020-I’ve been in ICU 4 days, forced to use a bedpan because my oxygen saturation drops if I turn or even move too much. I am unable to clean myself; I’m feeling completely helpless and so embarrassed, but my nurses were great and very understanding. I now truly understand my patients’ feelings from all these years of nursing. I’m weaned to 25 lpm and 30%. I’m going to the medical floor.

March 18, 2020-I’m weaned to 28%. I can achieve 1500 on my incentive spirometer finally. I’m hopeful to be weaned to a regular nasal cannula. The provider comes in. I’ve been waiting for my swab results. I tested positive for COVID19...6.5 days of waiting for the outside lab to process the lab. I’m relieved because I finally have a diagnosis, a reason I’ve been so sick. I’m weaned to 4 lpm on a regular nasal cannula, 4 hours later I’m weaned to 2 lpm. 4 hours later I’m weaned to room air. My oxygen saturation stats 93% and above all night.

March 19, 2020-As I write this, I’m waiting to attempt a 6 minute walk test to see if my oxygen stays up, so I can go home. I’ve had no visitors this entire time due to my isolation precautions.

Guys, this is why social isolation is a thing. As a 31 y.o., I wasn’t supposed to get sick. I wasn’t supposed to be admitted to the hospital or the ICU for that matter. We’ve already had several deaths from COVID19 in this area. I thank God I wasn’t one of them! However, many won’t be as fortunate as I have been. Many will die, especially those with any lung or heart problems. So please, I beg you to #stayhome “

#1602 4 years ago

I tend to believe those saying that 70% of Americans will get this eventually. My goal is to stay in the 30%. I definitely don’t need this on top of asthma.

#30percentclub

#1707 4 years ago

Looking ahead a bit, here’s my worry. We’ve heard very little about the long-term endgame for this war. We get a shot for seasonal flu, but the virus evolves so it’s not 100% effective. But the death rate is relatively low, so we accept that. If this CORONAvirus evolves and we get hit with an epidemic of this mutation just as they’ve worked out the vaccine for the first one, are we going to be playing cat and mouse with this for the next 5, 10, 20 years? Is it a permanent part of our lives now?

#1849 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

C'mon Jody look at the source...……...they made clear long ago whom they would report on and whom not......sound like unbiased reporting to you.

All you have to do is look at the president’s Twitter timeline to know that that’s the plan. Look for the tweet in all caps, and the many retweets. I don’t think the feds can overrule a governor’s orders, and I don’t think the intent is to make people in NYC go back to work. It’s more concerning for states like mine where “things aren’t that bad yet”.

#1963 4 years ago

I’ve been playing a lot of Andromeda lately, and I’m pretty sure she created this virus:
A79A0C51-95D7-47C1-AD30-B55974100AE9 (resized).jpegA79A0C51-95D7-47C1-AD30-B55974100AE9 (resized).jpeg
She even has mutant bats!

#2056 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

DeSantis says New Yorkers are fleeing to Florida.

Old people’s turn to go on spring break

#2063 4 years ago

So the new notion is to start sending people back to work in a few weeks, starting with those under 40. I hope that companies will at least make allowances for people with an elderly parent living with them.

Epidemiologists need to start modeling these proposals so they can estimate the # of additional deaths they will cause. Winging it is not a good idea at this point.

#2069 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This just in; touting “cures” that are unproven and unapproved for covid has serious unintended consequences. Let’s try to do this right, folks. Let the doctors and scientists tell us what works.

My wife’s boss said she has “a Christian friend who has a cure” but she can’t say what it is because “they” will come and shut her down. I hope it’s something harmless like holy water.

#2083 4 years ago

“....doctors believe the episodes he experienced were not a reaction to the medicine but his body fighting off the virus.”

I still hold out hope for clinical studies, this seems very promising.

#2087 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

The Virus and Viruses don't give 2 shits what we call them....they'll kill without prejudice.

We didn’t call Ebola “the African virus”.
We didn’t call Mad Cow disease “the British virus”.
We don’t call measles “the European virus”.

#2092 4 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

You mean German measles?

“ In 1814, George de Maton first suggested that it be considered a disease distinct from both measles and scarlet fever. All these physicians were German, and the disease was known as Rötheln (contemporary German Röteln), Rötlich means "redish" or "pink" in German. The fact that three Germans described it led to the common name of "German measles."

#2122 4 years ago

Still chewing on these 2 comments:

1. “The mortality rate is a lot lower than we thought it would be.”
2. Paraphrase: Deaths from an economic crash could be much worse than deaths from the virus

#2164 4 years ago

During the Great Recession in ‘09, an economist wrote that we had to choose between “the car crash” and “cancer” (metaphors for a quick death and a slow death). He later made the point that we chose the cancer, and I believed him. I stayed out of the market for years. 10 years later it’s clear to me that we somehow survived that cancer.

We’re facing a similar moment now, but a pandemic won’t quietly go away like all that bad debt did. We have to choose between two car crashes: an economic depression, or millions of deaths. There’s no “cancer” option this time. We can only choose our catastrophe, and both are unfathomably bad.

Welp, I just really depressed myself.

#2196 4 years ago

Regardless of what the feds do, it will really come down to the governors. I watch our governor’s speech today, and it doesn’t seem like he’s ready to accept a legacy of mass death. He seems to be taking this very very seriously. I was impressed, there was no political content in his speech at all that I can remember.

#2204 4 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

As it should be. Not every state has the same needs.

If every state had the option of closing its borders, I would agree with that 100%.

#2385 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

On the plus side...it looks like our ratio of deaths of the hard hit countries is much lower.

Death is a lagging indicator, and it started 3-4 weeks later here.

#2388 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

On the plus side...it looks like our ratio of deaths of the hard hit countries is much lower.

If you assume that the US gets to somewhere between Spain and Italy, say 90 deaths per million, that will be around 30k deaths. I'm afraid that we'll get there by the end of April.

#2396 4 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

Iran will have 1.4 Milion Dead when the virus is over. China is already over 21 Million Dead. Word is starting to get out because of cell phone numbers canceled. I estimate over 300 Million infected Chinese citizens. 23 Million dead as of today! Italy will end up with about 1.1 Million dead from this virus.

What's your source for 22 million dead in China? The official site says 3277. Don't spread conspiracy theories here, please.

#2441 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

https://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs/article/2020/02/27/en-carte-visualisez-la-propagation-mondiale-de-l-epidemie-de-coronavirus_6031092_4355770.html
easy to see that you, guys in US, have to worry about the situation
of course, this graph is based on numbers (good/true & bad/false ones, that means % of errors, but anyway... )

Daaaaamn. I usually prefer logarithmic but this tells a story.

98829B1F-FC7A-419F-B192-6CB0AB030FB3 (resized).jpeg98829B1F-FC7A-419F-B192-6CB0AB030FB3 (resized).jpeg
#2452 4 years ago

I saw that people were stockpiling bottled water. I think the chance of water supply problems are extremely low, but it reminded me that I’ve been meaning to stockpile a few weeks of drinking water. For us, that’s 40 gallons. If you’re going to stockpile water, this is the way to do it. It’s treated and should be good for 2-3 years. Those cheap plastic bottles (Dasani, Deer Creek, etc) will start leaching into your water within a year.

It’s like CSI says: “3 minutes with air, 3 days without water, 30 days without food.”

5DF2C097-C552-478F-A2D4-FC911F28DE49 (resized).jpeg5DF2C097-C552-478F-A2D4-FC911F28DE49 (resized).jpeg
#2512 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Apparently the stock market is in sudden denial.

I need a few more days of giddyup so I can get out of the bad trades I made 3 weeks ago when I thought this was gonna blow over. Some falling knives cut deep, son (is what I will teach my son).

BAEC1D2A-CFBF-4569-B8C7-220D219C29E0 (resized).jpegBAEC1D2A-CFBF-4569-B8C7-220D219C29E0 (resized).jpeg
#2523 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

[quoted image]

You forgot “elements of medical”

#2530 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Reverse psychology.
As soon as they pass the stimulus bill, it should start dropping like a hot potato.

“Buy the rumor, sell the news” is the best stock market advice I’ve ever heard.

#2537 4 years ago

By saying that China cooked this up in a bioweapon lab.

#2558 4 years ago

I know next to nothing about this, and I hate to sound like Elon Musk, but I don’t get why ventilators are so hard to make. My CPAP was about $800, and I know that was way overpriced. It’s a pump, some hoses and some mission-critical software. It seems like just a matter of time before the open source folks will have something that’s better than nothing: not FDA approved, but adequate to keep people alive.

#2605 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This reminds me of high school. Instead of going, my buddy and me would sit in bean bag chairs and listen to 20 minute jams. Did they bring back the 70s just for me?

Sitting in a room and quietly listening to both sides of Aqualung with nothing in our hands and a smile on our faces.

#2644 4 years ago

Someone asked me today what we gain by delaying the inevitable. This graphic describes it much better than I could.

A5DAD0E5-659E-4FAE-A3CC-A1A475A190ED (resized).jpegA5DAD0E5-659E-4FAE-A3CC-A1A475A190ED (resized).jpeg
#2700 4 years ago

Yikes, Atlanta could be the next NYC soon:

E5490104-B8CA-4DD2-B9A0-ED7547447CAA (resized).jpegE5490104-B8CA-4DD2-B9A0-ED7547447CAA (resized).jpeg
#2897 4 years ago

Some gentle humor...

BCF8DF99-63C3-406F-BBAA-E5FD6629B25A (resized).jpegBCF8DF99-63C3-406F-BBAA-E5FD6629B25A (resized).jpeg
#2986 4 years ago

...and a smattering of people saying they don’t like this thread, but yet here they are.

Quoted from mrm_4:

It took a while but I finally caught up. Reading everything to see if there is something I can take away from this thread to make things better for myself.
Here’s what I observed:
59 pages of about 20 or so of the same dudes just trying to be the first to post info that was posted on another site. Then arguing with each other about if their post is true or how they feel about it.
Mixed with a dr chiming in to correct a few things which all got eclipsed by a tidal wave of arguments and trying to be the first to post other site’s info.

#2998 4 years ago

Some in the GOP like Lindsey Graham and Meghan McCain have starting calling out “Health vs Economy” as a false choice. There’s no way that things can just go back to normal while hundreds of thousands of Americans are dying. And while we can’t keep doing lockdowns and social distancing forever, we can do it for a few more months, long enough to give the hospitals and researchers a fighting chance.

I respect that some people believe we can go back to work and still be careful, but I disagree. We’re talking about a nation that’s hoarding toilet paper and fish tank cleaner. It just takes a few fools to make the workplace dangerous again.

#3019 4 years ago

It's not hard to see how we get to hundreds of thousands of deaths.

Here's the math on the low end:

330M population * 25% of population infected * 1% mortality = 825,000

On the high end (the "Easter plan"), we might have this by 2021:

330M population * 70% of population infected * 3% mortality = 6.93 million

The higher mortality rate for the "return to normal ASAP plan" reflects hospitals having to turn people away sooner.

#3022 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

But what about those that live paycheck to paycheck? Or say, a waitress that is a single mom that relies on her tips to feed her kid? Just things to think about...I realize things can’t return to normal right now...I’m not suggesting they do. I just don’t know where that break point is? My heart goes out to those not working and those affected personally in any way from this virus.

My adult son is in that category, he works at Panera Bread and just had his hours cut from 40 to 20. The math for him and his roommates doesn't work with that kind of income. I've been helping out in a small way by getting something from their drive-thru for lunch every day. I know that it's even harder for single moms.

#3028 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

"Again, it’s based on the modeling. Not looking at where we are, but rather where we are going to be."
Models are worthless without accurate Data and Responsible Usage of said Data.
We don't have a fraction of the Data we would need to do an accurate Modeling.

Not true, we have lots of data on mortality. I know some people have heroic assumptions about how much better the US healthcare system is, but the fact is that the mortality rate ranges from 1-6% depending on the health of the population and how much we do to slow the spread.

I think the WHO estimate is on the high end here, but it's a starting point for a discussion:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

#3121 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Not by me. The mis-informed who run their mouth were just parroting the talking heads saying masks don't work. This is lie is still being pushed but the body of evidence indicates they do indeed work. Those people who insisted otherwise should be called out. I get it, there was a Nationwide shortage and Medical people needed them
No reason to lie to the American people, they need to prevent this mess so the Doctors have less work to do.

So the medical experts are all lying and you’re the one who has the truth? Would you let someone with COVID-19 cough into your face while you’re wearing a mask?

#3134 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I taught PPE to 120 workers at a chemical plant and it takes 30 seconds to properly don a mask.

But a virus is very very tiny. It's not a chemical where you can mitigate harm by blocking most of it. I think the virus goes through an N95 mask as easily as a neutrino goes through our bodies.

EDIT: I don't know, but I'll listen to the experts on this one (like our doctor friend here).

#3151 4 years ago

With apologies to The Clash, I thought it was time for this:

Fauci, you got to let me know
Should I stay or should I go?
If you say that I should stay here
I'll stay home 'til the coast is clear
So you got to let me know

It's always tease, tease, tease
You say we might beat this disease
One day it's fine and next it's black
So if you want me off your back
Well, come on and let me know
Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go, there will be trouble
And if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know

My neighbor's music's bugging me
He's playing Cher and Black Eyed Peas
Can't even drink outside in peace
Because we're stuck with this disease
Come on and let me know
Should I cool it or should I blow?

Split

Should I stay or should I go now? (yo me enfrió o lo soplo)
Should I stay or should I go now? (yo me enfrió o lo soplo)
If I go there will be trouble (si me voy va a haber peligro)
And if I stay it will be double (si me quedo sera el doble)
So ya gotta let me know (me tienes que decir)
Should I cool it or should I blow? (me debo ir o quedarme)
Should I stay or should I go now? (tengo frío por los ojos)
If I go there will be trouble (si me voy va haber peligro)
And if I stay it wil be double (si me quedo sera el doble)
So ya gotta let me know me tienes que decir

#3163 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

It is easier to stop and infection than to treat it. Whoever gets in front of this and demands masks be made available to the general Public will be appreciated.

I’ll go out again when I can wear one of these.

7E1AF5F4-A463-4407-9CB7-0C1E93BEB089 (resized).jpeg7E1AF5F4-A463-4407-9CB7-0C1E93BEB089 (resized).jpeg
#3207 4 years ago

So I stand corrected, N95 masks do protect us better than nothing. But if you have one and your doctor’s office and hospital don’t, you’re an asshole. Do I have it right now? Just to drive it home, most of us have the luxury of standing well clear of other people, even while at work. Doctors and nurses don’t.

#3232 4 years ago
Quoted from toastbot:

Just 5 more days left of "15 Days to Slow The Spread."
Maybe putting an expiration date in the name of the campaign was a bad idea.

I thought it was a good first effort. People can wrap their heads around 15 days of self-sacrifice, and it WILL make a difference and slow the spread. What comes next will be interesting.

#3262 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Lot easier to keep track of the seriously ill or deaths.

You actually raise a really good point. Why aren’t they keeping a count of people who have been hospitalized with COVID-19?

#3277 4 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Here's my Covid 19 lockdown view. [quoted image]

Are you a Hobbit?

#3316 4 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Will pinball kill us all? Occam’s Pinball Razor states that the simplest answer is often the correct one. Sadly the correlation between these two maps proves that his theory is correct[quoted image][quoted image]

Rezdog where did you find that 2nd map?

#3468 4 years ago
9BDC0053-ACC2-4A8F-916D-2B56A3F0D5B2 (resized).jpeg9BDC0053-ACC2-4A8F-916D-2B56A3F0D5B2 (resized).jpeg
#3472 4 years ago
3F0B223D-0FF3-4295-92DD-6A288BAE9075 (resized).png3F0B223D-0FF3-4295-92DD-6A288BAE9075 (resized).png
#3481 4 years ago

Just one of many good charts from Robert Williams on his Twitter account, @isfBob:

A295B4C0-35DF-45C4-A607-4FC56D45188E (resized).jpegA295B4C0-35DF-45C4-A607-4FC56D45188E (resized).jpeg
#3621 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Really impressed with his press conferences. Any chance you guys would be willing to swap him out with Biden? No givebacks...

“Now look here Jack...”

#3641 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Classify risk county by county and encourage only the high risk counties to stay closed? How is that anything other than a recipe to turn all counties high risk?

The thing is, 70% of the population is probably lives a high-risk county now (or will be soon), since this thing seems to be hitting big metro areas first. I wonder how much it's really going to help when the other 30% go back to work.

#3646 4 years ago

Here's some math on the number of infected in the US by Easter, for various (constant) growth rates. We're currently at a 5-day average of 27%. I only picked Easter because it's a convenient future date (17 days from now). I expect the curve to flatten before then, so hopefully these numbers are useless.

Current # of infected (N): 80,854

r = 10%: N*(1+r)^17 = 409k
r = 15%: N*(1+r)^17 = 870k
r = 27%: N*(1+r)^17 = 4.7M <== current path
r = 33%: N*(1+r)^17 = 10.3M

#3731 4 years ago

Remember when it was the government that shut down and the rest of us kept on going? Good times man, good times.

#3743 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Cheesecake Factory took that into their own hands and said they weren't paying rent at any of their locations for April. Curious to see how that plays out.

It’s a variation on the old saying “If you owe the bank $10k it’s your problem; if you owe them $100M it’s the bank’s problem”

#3765 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Well CDC is saying that you can't catch it from eating food that's been coughed on...not sure if I want to test the odds though.

Just let it sit for 3 days and it should be fine.

#3810 4 years ago

I’m gonna pack 2 rants into one post.

It bugs me that people are making a big deal of the fact that the US has more infections than a country that’s 5 times smaller. We may get to #1 on a per-capita basis, but we’re a long way from there right now,

It annoys me that the statistics are focused on states (like GA) instead of big cities (like Atlanta). All of the metrics should be laser-focused on the top 50 US markets: Chicago, Atlanta, LA, Boston, etc. Yes I’m happy for the folks in small towns who have zero infections. Here in ATL and NYC we have real problems.

#3825 4 years ago

Nominating this guy as the Pinside COVID mascot.

C5580BED-E134-4777-93FA-997C46992091 (resized).jpegC5580BED-E134-4777-93FA-997C46992091 (resized).jpeg
#4173 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I don’t understand why people get bent out of shape about being moderated, they’re in a tough spot as this topic is damn near impossible to discuss honestly without some political talk. Personally I think they’ve done a pretty good job, all things considered.

I actually donated to Pinside about an hour after I got a moderation notice. You can’t take it personally, just try to be better I guess.

#4229 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

At this point we're just fighting math. 30% increase per day makes me want to become a loan shark:[quoted image]

I posted this chart about 8 days ago, and I was off by a day for the 100k mark. I’ll hedge for the 1M mark, because I think/hope we’re slowing this thing down. With a 20% daily growth rate, we won’t get to 1 million until April 10, which ironically is Good Friday.

Also...we’re probably at the point where we need to start looking at deaths per day to get a better idea of where we really stand. Inconsistent or no testing here makes the # of infected pretty useless as a forecasting tool.

Oh, and it should have said April for the 1M date, not May.
E49778DC-8A19-4840-A22A-9EA1014D91DA (resized).pngE49778DC-8A19-4840-A22A-9EA1014D91DA (resized).png

Editing to add this: if the growth in the death rate holds steady at 30%, we’ll also be looking at over 60,000 deaths by Good Friday.

#4235 4 years ago

Dropping this as a milestone marker:
26B0BE8B-A386-48D5-BD6D-F1088B6C602C (resized).jpeg26B0BE8B-A386-48D5-BD6D-F1088B6C602C (resized).jpeg

#4270 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

RIP Borneo, aka Mr. Bitey. :’-([quoted image]

Ha, I used to call my old cat Mr. Bitey. Let’s all raise a toast to black cats who lived better than we ever will. Cheers!

#4344 4 years ago

Apologies if this was already posted. If you ignore the preachy title, this is a really interesting historical account of one small town from 1918-1920.

https://buckrail.com/covid-nothing-new-have-we-learned-anything/

#4358 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Just curious, but what is everyone doing on this shut-in Friday night??

I watched the first 5 episodes of “Devs” on Hulu tonight. It’s pretty damned good sci-fi, Nick Offerman is superb.

#4359 4 years ago

This was Bourbon Street about a month ago, maybe the last such image for 2020.

F97BDF52-A3C5-4C28-955B-BEB3AA0B5F7D (resized).jpegF97BDF52-A3C5-4C28-955B-BEB3AA0B5F7D (resized).jpeg
#4408 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Got this From Disney yesterday.
New park opening date has been set to...
"Closed Until Further Notice"[quoted image]

#4412 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

I guess what I’m wondering thru all of this is how these “real” numbers might affect the mortality rate. Would the mortality rate be much lower than what it is currently? Just thinking out loud...any thoughts appreciated as I have struggled with trying to understand this from the beginning...thanks in advance!

There are experts who know how to account for all these factors, and these experts are saying the case fatality rate is 1-3% when patients can get care, higher when they can’t. At a certain point it’s obvious: mass graves, refrigerator trucks for the dead...these things don’t happen with a flu-like mortality rate. And some people die of organ failure while they are intubated for COVID - these don’t get counted in the death toll (“cause of death: heart failure”).

Also, I know everyone is focused on mortality (aren’t we all?), but hospitalization rate matters just as much. The reason the hospitals are overwhelmed is that 20% of people who get this will end up there.

#4415 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Do you think this accounts for those that are asymptomatic? I don’t know how you could even begin to gather data and account for those that have no symptoms.

You’re right, the Case Fatality Rate (CFR) does not include unreported cases.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/global-covid-19-case-fatality-rates/

I think it’s impossible to know the mortality rate without widescale testing, like South Korea.

#4507 4 years ago

If we get to 1000 deaths a day in the US, I hope people won’t still be talking about the “real” mortality rate.

#4658 4 years ago

I googled “horseshoe bat” and stumbled on a Wired article that predicted this back in 2013.

https://www.wired.com/2013/10/bats-next-sars-pandemic/

“Bats are still hunted and eaten in large numbers in China, he notes with concern. "I think people should stop hunting bats and stop eating bats."

#4685 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

So now youtube keeps recommending this "Wes" guy who teaches how to do hard time. In California somewhere.

D45850F7-BF30-412D-B2EC-C0EA48EBBA05 (resized).jpegD45850F7-BF30-412D-B2EC-C0EA48EBBA05 (resized).jpeg
#4689 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

This was specifically about hospitalizations...they had 1 ICU bed left...this was a couple days ago. Not a bunch of nervous nellies bum rushing them...sick people.

Dougherty County. They have 10% of the confirmed cases in GA and probably 0.000001% of the hospital resources. It is serious.

#4716 4 years ago

It’s a freaking puppy with wings! I want 10

#4827 4 years ago

Here’s Cyd (for Cyd Charisse) demonstrating how to quarantine. She spends at least half the day in this spot, and in this position.

1EC4C54F-25E6-4A45-8851-748F97A316AA (resized).png1EC4C54F-25E6-4A45-8851-748F97A316AA (resized).png
#4991 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Many international flights first stop in New York before taking a layover flight to the west coast. Airports likely were a breeding ground?

When I got home to the Atlanta airport 2 weeks ago, people were still cramming into the “plane train”. It was the first time I took the moving sidewalks all the way from terminal D, and I made damned sure I wasn’t getting close to anything or touching anything I didn’t have to. No escalator rails, nothing.

#5172 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

The more I look at these numbers, the more I think China lied about their totals. China only had 2 deaths /1M pop. That number is WAY better than any other country.
[quoted image]

I’m going to get dunked on for saying this, but I believe those numbers. China has 1.4B people, and they almost immediately used military force to contain most of the outbreak to Wuhan. They also have a population that experienced and learned from SARS, just like South Korea and Singapore.

#5291 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Do you ever get caught up in the infomercials though?
I was almost convinced to get a slap chop the other day.

Many years ago, when my son was just 9, he begged us for weeks to buy a slap chop. We thought it was funny so we got him one for Christmas and put it under the tree with the “real” gifts. He was not happy or amused.

#5360 4 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

It’s morning again in America

It’s mourning in America.

#5590 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And they probably won't need a bailout to do it.

Don’t forget that the US made good $ on the GM bailout. I still won’t buy their cars though. My first new car was a Pontiac and I became a permanent “nope” on GM cars when my friend closed the door and pulled off the armrest, shrugged, handed it to me and said “um...here, sorry”.

#5598 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I just realized there are more than twice as many cases of the virus in the USA than the amount of posts I have made on Pinside, and it did it in a fraction of the time.

Please don’t go exponential on us

#5600 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Can we all do gameroom posts here now? Sounds like a great way to close out a Monday

Mean Girls. They share my home office with me and say “get back to work fool” whenever I look at them.

71CBD0CD-409D-48B5-AAA8-7B1406CC2F85 (resized).jpeg71CBD0CD-409D-48B5-AAA8-7B1406CC2F85 (resized).jpeg
#5603 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Tonight’s diversion. Stripping my first playfield!! Here’s hoping I don’t F it up too bad...
I’m going overboard with labeling and pictures but hey, it can’t hurt.[quoted image]

Wow, I recognized that immediately - Jack In the Box? I remember swapping out those 10 drop targets for sure.

#5605 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Yes, please share what you are doing with your downtime.

I’m taking off next week to celebrate my birthday and Spring, something I started about 10 years ago. I will definitely finish my Mata Hari playfield swap, and I hope to start on Skateball (although I’d much rather have @odin’s).

#5609 4 years ago

I’m loving the positive vibe here today. I have to say it guts me to hear what some of ya’ll are going through, and I wish for you a change for the better. I got laid off about 3 years ago, it was damned near impossible to find work and then I suddenly ended up in my favorite job ever. I want that for everyone who’s struggling right now.

#5624 4 years ago

Alright, here’s my thread challenge. Go to your device’s photo feed, scroll back and post the first picture that makes you smile. Explain why it makes you happy. Obviously no porn or politics or memes - ideally it’s something you or a friend/family took.

For me, it’s this picture. We had a little ski trip to Beech Mountain NC about 6 weeks ago, and my niece brought her dog Jax. He was always happy, and was a good boi while we were out skiing. He loved his first trip to the mountains.

D99F8A73-42BF-462A-8C77-27C339CED4EC (resized).jpegD99F8A73-42BF-462A-8C77-27C339CED4EC (resized).jpeg
#5668 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Ya know, it's not the first time I've been told to stay home.

“You can sleep anywhere you want and with whoever you want, but you can’t stay here!” - bouncer, circa 1985 (3am)

#5683 4 years ago
73445A08-A9EE-49A4-B5EF-95FA8B2688AF (resized).jpeg73445A08-A9EE-49A4-B5EF-95FA8B2688AF (resized).jpeg
#5995 4 years ago
Quoted from Atrain:

I'm a big fan of o-din changing up the avatar. Never know what's going to be next

I’m thinking of bringing back the smoking kid as my avatar theme. To go with Odin’s smoking dog, who I hope will come back some day.
FDF2F0C3-E1D2-46FD-98FA-7699829DFA93 (resized).jpegFDF2F0C3-E1D2-46FD-98FA-7699829DFA93 (resized).jpeg

#6069 4 years ago

PinJim I’m also pessimistic but there are a few things that could still turn this around. The malaria drug is a big one, and we should know in 2-4 weeks how it works on a study of several thousand people. There’s also a strong incentive to protect those who are most vulnerable, like my elderly mom who lives with us. We just have to be careful not to let our guard down for a few years, which is difficult but not impossible. I hope by now most elderly folks are taking this seriously, and will stay in self-preservation mode.

#6074 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Secondly, the entire population doesnt get infected. The current infection rate is around 10%.
Thirdly, once herd immunity is established, around 60% of the population, the virus R0 or rate of infection quickly drops below 1 and the virus dies as it's no longer spread.

How do you get to 60% “herd immunity” with a 10% infection rate?

#6122 4 years ago

This is great info if you’re sitting on expensive upcoming flight reservations, like me. We booked flights to Barcelona in May, and I thought the best we could get was a voucher for future travel. However this says that if you wait for the airline to cancel the flight, they MUST give you a refund (if you ask for it):

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/refund-or-change-flight/

#6155 4 years ago

We can only control our own beliefs and behaviors. I feel lucky to be in a situation where I can stay at home as long as I need to, even if it’s a few years. It would be a drag on my savings, but I’d rather be poor in 2022 than dead.

#6211 4 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

So you will die if you leave your house? Have some self control and stop spreading fear. The chances that you will be dead in 2022 are pretty slim.

Of course I plan to leave my house - groceries, biking, etc. I’m not sure how you know what my chances of death are without knowing my age or medical condition(s). How about you do you, and I’ll do me?

#6411 4 years ago

I turn 56 in a few days, so I snuck out and bought myself a present. I wish the playfield was as nice as the backglass, but it’ll do for $400. I’m taking next week off just to work on pins and watch movies in the home theater. Social distancing vacation.

36628B9D-B10E-40E8-A56C-6BFDF32C116B (resized).jpeg36628B9D-B10E-40E8-A56C-6BFDF32C116B (resized).jpeg
#6416 4 years ago

My doctor’s office sent out what I think is the best take on PPE that I’ve seen:

PPE USE: Use of masks and gloves when leaving your house is a controversial subject and changing recommendations. We believe a face mask can be used to lower your transmission of SARS-CoV-2. Supply of PPE has been limited and yet the broader use of PPE is recommended as the prevalence of COVID-19 increases.

In other words, now that 5-20% of the population is infected, masks make sense to help prevent *transmission* of the virus.

#6420 4 years ago

Why should Jack Danger have all the fun with the knuckle tats?

10220D7E-1916-4348-8093-3BA72A6C5F98 (resized).jpeg10220D7E-1916-4348-8093-3BA72A6C5F98 (resized).jpeg
#6543 4 years ago
6AB2A12A-665A-44CF-8CE9-A2737A52B8C7 (resized).jpeg6AB2A12A-665A-44CF-8CE9-A2737A52B8C7 (resized).jpeg
#6586 4 years ago

Why are there sign language people at news conferences when every modern TV has closed captioning?

Performance art.

#6614 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

CNN is famous for contrived and outright fake videos. But they have turned over a new leaf and only report truth now.
They are also regretful over past digressions.

Every one of your posts is about the mainstream media, and it’s getting a little tiresome. You’ve even exhausted my thumbs-down quota apparently.

#6712 4 years ago

The best thing you can do to prevent transmission is wash your hands religiously, don't touch your face and limit your exposure to other people outside your own home.

Reminds me of the old joke.

“Doc, what can I do to reduce my chance of a heart attack?”
“Well, you could eat better, stop smoking those cigars and get some exercise for a change.”
“Okay, but what else could I do?”

#6737 4 years ago

It’s almost like we are all gonna get it...then it’s 50/50 if we survive it or not. That’s what it seems like to me....

21A2093B-F90D-4468-B474-2534AA7C0B46 (resized).jpeg21A2093B-F90D-4468-B474-2534AA7C0B46 (resized).jpeg
#6759 4 years ago

#6974 4 years ago

My mom who lives with us is cranking out these masks like a squirrel on speed. Beer for the guys, pretty floral designs for the women. I love mine.

DA819DBE-113B-448E-A29D-5708D1FF1AFD (resized).jpegDA819DBE-113B-448E-A29D-5708D1FF1AFD (resized).jpeg
#6993 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Not surprisingly the women have taken more to protecting themselves than men. I've seen couples shopping together with her covered and he is not. Several other examples like that as well. My guess is it's a macho thing which all of us guys can suffer from at times.

Probably most guys don’t get that the masks are more for the protection of others than they are for themselves.

Good on you for helping your elderly neighbor. We should all be helping someone who needs it in these times.

#7075 4 years ago
D49034ED-F35D-4A96-87CF-4AF6A505517A (resized).pngD49034ED-F35D-4A96-87CF-4AF6A505517A (resized).png
#7143 4 years ago

“When the tide goes out, we’ll all see who was swimming naked.”

Quoted from Mr68:

More than just governors or politicians will be exposed here. Tragedies like this has a ripple effect and will expose some of our flaws and individual pond scum. Bernie Madoff was finally caught after years of running his ponzi scheme because of the financial meltdown of 2007-08. (my simplified version of events) That tragedy outed guys like him and he wasn't alone, he was just the most egregious. I believe in the coming months more people and shit will surface and some of it completely off our radar right now.

#7232 4 years ago

I don’t get the logic behind wearing gloves. The virus can’t enter through your hands, and you can’t touch your face either with or without gloves. So what’s the point? I’m not criticizing, I’m just genuinely curious.

#7242 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This "flattening the curve" is BS. That is trying to find relief for the health providers. But as long as this virus is around, flattening the curve is just going to make it last longer.

Flattening the curve is also about:
- making enough ventilators available for those that need them
- making enough PPE available to healthcare workers
- shortening the window to vaccines or cures
- reducing overall deaths by at least 30-50%
- creating time to set reasonable public policy for “after”

#7283 4 years ago

I’ll straight up say it: if you don’t wear a mask in public, you’re putting other people’s lives at risk. How many of us KNOW that we aren’t carriers? None of us. So if you choose not to wear one out now, you’re part of the problem and bear some responsibility for the economic problems. If we all followed the rules, this thing would be over with in 30 days.

#7414 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I believe what we do now will greatly impact what the next 30-60 days is like. There is no good answer for this.

Exactly, and ironically it will be the “business as usual” / “I won’t wear a mask” crew that extends things beyond May, if it comes to that.

#7425 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Right. How will you feel about it if we close the economy for 6 months, society collapses and a gang of thugs show up at your house with AK47s? I guess they beat you at the game of Darwinism?

Now who’s being hysterical?

#7483 4 years ago

It’s not up to any of us to decide when the rest of society will get back to normal. It’s not really even up to political leaders. If people are dying at the rate of 2,000 a day and they say “all clear”, people are not going to just start going to Disney and taking crowded trains to work again.

We all have different levels of risk tolerance. I’m not going to get on a plane again until a vaccine or cure is available. I’d rather drive 800 miles to Philadelphia once a month, if it came to that.

#7599 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

https://www.britannica.com/event/Asian-flu-of-1957
My 81 yr old parents survived the Asian flu back in college. Killed an estimated 1-2 million people.
Here we are today. Somehow made it through.

Well that is one heck of an anecdote brother

#7751 4 years ago

I read a ton of sci-fi when I was a kid. I recognize at least 5 from that picture. For some reason the one that stayed with me the most was The Stainless Steel Rat. There was a small sex scene in that, and it riveted my 12-year-old brain. I think they sprayed on their clothes and washed them off at the end of the day. Lol.

#7837 4 years ago

This 31-year-old P.A. was the first patient in NJ. His account is similar to one I posted for a young hospital worker in Albany GA. Stories like this help me with staying home. Why risk it?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/05/magazine/first-coronavirus-patient-new-jersey.html

#7954 4 years ago

I’ve been skipping the news conferences for over a week now, and it’s helped my mental health a lot. I’m about to go out and stain my deck. It’s a beautiful sunny day, 74 with a light breeze.

#8130 4 years ago

I finished the worst part of my quarantine deck staining project. No more tall ladders after this part. Don’t you love it when your spouse comes over and says “that ladder isn’t safe like that”, but then walks away without offering to hold it?

60D4CF82-DA24-44C4-BCB6-45397035F2AC (resized).jpeg60D4CF82-DA24-44C4-BCB6-45397035F2AC (resized).jpeg
#8165 4 years ago

This was a park in China 2 days ago.

2F002ED8-883B-4D41-93A3-28953B51B3A9 (resized).jpeg2F002ED8-883B-4D41-93A3-28953B51B3A9 (resized).jpeg
#8183 4 years ago

Here’s some good news. The logarithmic chart shows new cases in USA trending down (still increasing, but at a lower rate). Maybe social distancing is working. This could also just be due to testing variability, but I’ll take it.
823FA672-68C8-4963-9B9D-D56065014455 (resized).jpeg823FA672-68C8-4963-9B9D-D56065014455 (resized).jpeg

#8205 4 years ago
Quoted from Tubes:

Science is an arbitrary construct.

#8286 4 years ago

#8406 4 years ago

(Sorry, this is bigger than I wanted)
F28C9D39-3803-49DC-967D-788FAF42D098 (resized).jpegF28C9D39-3803-49DC-967D-788FAF42D098 (resized).jpeg

#8516 4 years ago

This article says that in a study of those who recovered from COVID-19, “nearly a third had unexpectedly low levels of antibodies.” Bad news for herd immunity and maybe even vaccine effectiveness. This is one slippery bugger.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3078840/coronavirus-low-antibody-levels-raise-questions-about#click=https://t.co/DxgEzccmWX

#8519 4 years ago

Lost John Prine today to this terrible virus. I’ll dig out my albums tomorrow and give him a proper send-off.

#8581 4 years ago

This is currently the #1 cause of daily deaths in the US, eclipsing flu/pneumonia:

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761

#8770 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

When you stay up until 3:00 AM and watch Mannix because now you can...

I bought the Mannix soundtrack, noW I need to hunt that down and watch it tonight.

#8774 4 years ago

Anyone else getting into sonic wars with their suburban neighbors? The guy next to me has been playing Top Forty 80’s music in his backyard for the last 5 days, so I finally let loose with a marathon of Black Moth Super Rainbow / Tobacco. I’m not going to stop until every album has been played. Don’t bring a knife to a gunfight, dude.

#8777 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

And I found out today that Bill Withers has died of Covid 19. Really, really sucks.

That’s the worst. Ain’t no sunshine when he’s gone. Who am I gonna lean on now?

#8863 4 years ago

I think our cat is taking the social distancing just a little too far.

638B93A5-6384-4377-8B2F-34FF81F32969 (resized).jpeg638B93A5-6384-4377-8B2F-34FF81F32969 (resized).jpeg
#8966 4 years ago

I’m making the best of my time off. I think. I’ve finished the magic eraser treatment, so this is as pretty as it’s gonna get. But it’s such a fun pin.
A2F67996-BDBF-41E0-8F32-9D03BEB1DA31 (resized).jpegA2F67996-BDBF-41E0-8F32-9D03BEB1DA31 (resized).jpeg

#9344 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

China has had COVID-19 (Coronavirus) in its Wuhan lab for SEVEN YEARS.
Could this be true?
https://gellerreport.com/2020/04/china-cio-terror-covid.html/?utm

I’m guessing no.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/geller-report/

#9556 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

maybe this happened yesterday and I wasn't paying attention, but USA (20,086) overtook Italy (19,468) in having most # of deaths

More importantly that’s more than the number of H1N1 deaths, so hopefully we’ll stop hearing about that now.

#9561 4 years ago

Barcelona has topless beaches and now we’re not going and now I’m a little sad.

#9728 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Jeopardy question for 500pts
What was the first song that I slow danced with a girl to at a public school dance?
She was cute and I was a young 11 year old kid.

Journey, “Open Arms” or “Faithfully”. 500 points back at ya if she kissed you.

#9729 4 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Third, be far more proactive in the future with virus’ that maybe around the world but could be here with just one arrival at a major gateway like nyc or LA or CHI.

The US had boots on the ground in China for exactly this, but they were defunded and sent home:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-china-cdc-exclusiv/exclusive-u-s-slashed-cdc-staff-inside-china-prior-to-coronavirus-outbreak-idUSKBN21C3N5

#9846 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Going back and placing blame on an entire pandemic outcome due to a small personnel change is a slippery slope, and a fruitless one.

I never said that this personnel change was solely responsible for the pandemic’s outcome. But it didn’t help. It’s not about blame, it’s about being better prepared for the next one of these.

I’ll also add that this was not the president’s fault - it was John Bolton’s decision and action.

#9922 4 years ago

The president tweeted today that the decision to "open up the states" is his to make, not the governors'. But then he goes on to say that he'll make a decision "in conjunction with the governors". Confusing tweet. Anyway, I could see this being a problem if say, the virus really flares up in Florida and Desantis decides to keep things closed longer than the president would like.

#10141 4 years ago

. No real discussions about when this ‘ends’ and we can get back to living outside our homes. Just plain old partisan media reporting that’s not at all helpful.

There was a good article on the Washington Post the other day outlining how we could start safely to return to businesses without reigniting an epidemic. I’ll try to find it. I just tune out the partisan noise. In fact I skipped the presidential thing again tonight and got my feature lamps working on Embryon. I haven’t seen Trump or Fauci or any governors in over a week.

#10239 4 years ago

On the positive side we decided to do a 2 week road trip instead which we haven’t done in a few years. I’m thinking Utah and see the 4 major national parks there. I figure those have a better chance of being open than Disney World.

You’re all going to love that. We drove around Utah and went to Arches, Bryce, Zion...amazing trip. I can’t wait to go back.

#10317 4 years ago

My friends and I are doing virtual happy hours now twice a week. In a way, it’s more social than we were before. I miss our monthly pinball league a lot, but drinking and hanging out on Webex is a decent substitute for now.

#10321 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

(hypothesis)

Please seek professional help. Your hypothesis is crazier than a busload of 9/11 truthers.

#10345 4 years ago

Here’s the website that SadSack referenced:

https://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/

I could see how someone conspiracy-minded might think that a tabletop exercise for a novel coronavirus that happened a few months before the actual coronavirus outbreak was too much of a coincidence. The organizers address this:

https://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/newsroom/center-news/2020-01-24-Statement-of-Clarification-Event201.html

The highlight video is kind of interesting.

#10358 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Ill be on the lookout for that first reported case of Bill Gates inspired human sacrifice.

2DAA34CE-E274-43F0-84DA-B8BA1AB7CDA9 (resized).jpeg2DAA34CE-E274-43F0-84DA-B8BA1AB7CDA9 (resized).jpeg
#10456 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

NYC Adds Nearly 4,000 People Who Never Tested Positive To Coronavirus Death Tolls
Here is what Levi was talking about. Also says Ohio is doing it too.
https://dailycaller.com/2020/04/14/nyc-numbers-coronavirus-death-toll/?fbclid=IwAR28XvLrNFBhdVyhOr_3hgpbVxx6A1P3OdbjfLGX7zTBw0t6Bx7mFJXHd2U

Ugh, Daily Caller - really? You want us to start posting stuff from Mother Jones? Gross.

#10462 4 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Actually, it is from the New York Times, and the Daily Caller is just running their article.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/nyregion/new-york-coronavirus-deaths.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

No, the Daily Caller cherry-picked some info from a NYT article. Daily Caller, Breitbart, Alex Jones, no difference in my mind. It’s an echo chamber for RWNJs.

#10468 4 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

That's why I linked the original New York Time article so people could read the original source and get the information for themselves. Bottom line-3700 non-tested are being reclassified in New York according to the prime source which was Mayor Di Blassio's office in the New York Times.

Thanks for the link. What this means to you probably depends on which source you read. If you read the NYT, you accept that an additional 3700 deaths were linked to the virus. If you read the Daily Caller, you see it as evidence that the numbers are inflated. The reality probably is in between.

#10483 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

The reality is 3700 deaths that were never confirmed as CV-19 are falsely added to the death count.

Okay, that’s the reality that you choose. I’m withdrawing my downvote because I don’t downvote anyone with a cat avatar, as a rule.

#10510 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

The actual morbidity due to the virus is overstated by 2200 per day. The data we're given is nonsense and driven by those with agendas.

I’m confused. First you said this was a global conspiracy to kill us all, started by Bill Gates. Now you’re saying it’s nothing?

#10572 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Guess who stopped carrying a cell phone since the first shelter-in-place orders.. May your chains rest lightly as you don the number of the beast.

I’m trying so hard not to buy Iron Maiden Premium but you’re not making it easy.

#10617 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I'm going to have to save my plans for a forced heterosexual re-education camp / water park for another thread, sorry!

I think you’ve hit on a great plot for a Broadway musical!

#10724 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

All Downvote Hags, please, share your views. It is important, a simple down vote doesn't properly explain your disagreement.

A downvote is my concise way of saying “nope, I disagree”, or perhaps I just don’t feel like arguing with people like you on the internet.

#10727 4 years ago

These Ohio protesters seem like nice people.

7E33B64E-3FEA-43A2-B828-5E44D93366AC (resized).jpeg7E33B64E-3FEA-43A2-B828-5E44D93366AC (resized).jpeg
#10750 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

This is wide open Country, sparse population of well educated people.
We really haven't been affected as bad as New York or New Orleans or Atlanta.

Actually, I respect this point of view. If I put myself in the shoes of someone who lives in a county with 0-10 cases, but they’ve just lost their job or had their hours cut, yeah I can see how I might be angry or upset. One size does not fit all. I think for virus intervention, the hierarchy should be 1. Local, 2. State, 3. Federal. Mayors know more about their cities than the governors, and the governors know more about their states than the president. All of them should of course be making decisions in collaboration with disease experts.

#10845 4 years ago

Why is the US government subsidizing salaries for airline employees, but not employees of restaurants and other businesses impacted by the virus? The airline bailout has something to piss everyone off: socialism for the employees, and socialism for the companies and stockholders. I understand that airlines are more critical than other impacted businesses, but why the very special treatment?

Maybe I'm not thinking this through...what would happen without a bailout? Shareholders would be wiped out, employees would be in the same boat as everyone else, and eventually all the airlines would go bankrupt and reorganize. But at the end of it all there would still be airlines - maybe not as many, but the market demand will return.

#10943 4 years ago

Neighbor 1 is playing his shitty music on his DJ amp in the backyard again. Neighbor 2’s dogs are going crazy. Has a man got to die to get some peace and quiet? I can’t wait until it’s too damned hot for anyone to be outside again.

#10950 4 years ago

I think it’s taking time for people to realize that the mask is not for them, but for everyone else. My son didn’t understand why I wanted him to wear a mask to come and visit us. He works at Panera Bread, and has been doing delivery and getting cash tips. Which is great for him, but he’s at high risk of exposure. Asymptomatic transmission is what’s going to keep this going.

#10973 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Haha. Man I miss you Cincy guys. But esp you and Pat. Gonna have to rectify that soon.
Swampfire shoulda bought that $160, 500 watt bad mf that Vid recommended a few years ago. Pisses my neighbors off GREATLY.

I went for a 45-minute walk through some older, quieter neighborhoods, and I’m feeling much better. It’s dark and quiet on my back deck now, just the way I like it. Unrelated: the extra 5 pounds of quarantine weight are hanging heavy on my belly. I’ve even gone beyond Will Ferrell here:
B9D8FA9F-04E6-4906-B6C0-D868295606AD (resized).jpegB9D8FA9F-04E6-4906-B6C0-D868295606AD (resized).jpeg

#11000 4 years ago

I think we can agree that Fox News and CNN both have news divisions and opinion divisions. I have no problem with the news divisions in either network, both have good reporting.

#11138 4 years ago

If you think the shutdown has been bad for the stock market, just wait until you see what a real trade war with China looks like.

#11185 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Back in the 70s I don't remember there being any "craft beers". We got what was strongest so we did not have to carry too much.

That’s how we ended up experimenting with Mad Dog 20/20, Lightning Creek and all those other awful fortified wines that just made us sick as hell.

#11319 4 years ago

This video is so Philadelphia. Sorry if it was shared already.

My caption: “Hairy naked homeless guy chomps on a slice of pizza while cops look on”

#11423 4 years ago

So this thread has devolved into personal attacks that have nothing to do with the coronavirus. That kinda sucks.

If being attracted to short-haired women and girls make you gay, then consider me Liberace. I think short hair is sexy as hell.
BD1746F6-3AEA-488D-ABFD-67BEBD5C2469 (resized).jpegBD1746F6-3AEA-488D-ABFD-67BEBD5C2469 (resized).jpeg

B92F537E-ADFE-4A68-8460-4DC5913CDC3A (resized).jpegB92F537E-ADFE-4A68-8460-4DC5913CDC3A (resized).jpeg
#11444 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

People are getting offended on behalf of other people for perceived offensive behaviour ?

All I see is snowflakes getting triggered because they found a woman on TV that’s smarter than them.

#11458 4 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Pinsider's being overly sensitive about risque humor.

Not risqué, just stupid. “Haha, this woman has short hair and she looks like a boy, haha if you like her you’re gay”. It’s not homophobic, just dumb 4th-grade behavior. Maybe stick to jokes about farts and poop.

#11487 4 years ago

Here’s an example of childish humor that actually IS funny.

https://twitter.com/deadflip/status/1251369175370665985?s=21

#11500 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

So it seems the virus is 50-80 times as prevalent as previously thought: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.14.20062463v1
I guess that means the mortality is 1/50th or 1/80th of previous estimates. Maybe you can slightly loosen the grip of your fear.

Right, it’s less deadly than seasonal flu.

#11529 4 years ago

Can we get an Aussie to verify this for us?

https://twitter.com/cfree94/status/1240770654485520385?s=21

#11531 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Why would anyone downvote this GREAT NEWS!?! Are you all praying it gets worse? Or maybe you are afraid it will reduce your time available to whack off?

They are disagreeing with your conclusion that the mortality rate is 50-80x lower, because it doesn’t pass the smell test. I think the best way look at this is # of deaths per day, although certain people think that deaths are being exaggerated - probably a large overlap with people who believe that there’s widespread voter fraud.

#11572 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That is one tasty burger![quoted image]

That’s straight up pornographic, and now I definitely want a burger for dinner.

#11579 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ah another day in paradise.
I got my hand firmly
On the crank!!

Yeah, well my pump don’t work ‘cause the vandals took the handle.

#11583 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah that's getting passed around...he spits so much I had to turn it off. Put on a mask bro!!!

Right? That was like a demo of how just talking can transmit the virus. But I agree with most of what he’s saying.

#11584 4 years ago

Best decision this week. This is so smooth.

CBD6493F-3183-4BB9-BC6F-0E05D9D60DCC (resized).jpegCBD6493F-3183-4BB9-BC6F-0E05D9D60DCC (resized).jpeg
#11589 4 years ago

My brother runs a small printing company in Texas, and man is he pissed off. He applied for PPP and they ran out of money. His words:

“A business that is taking money in PPP loans that had not been negatively affected by covid is lying and stealing all of our collective money, they should go to jail. I would hope that no one is recommending that this is "free money" for any business and I hope that anyone that applied for and received those funds read all of the stuff they signed, it is definitely not just "free money" for anyone to take.”

He also points out that the bigger “small” businesses with existing relationships with banks did a big money grab, leaving the real small businesses in the lurch.

He’s on the right side of the political spectrum and we get along great. My thinking is that the executive branch did a terrible job managing this money; he’s mad that Pelosi wants more $ for food stamp recipients as part of agreeing to more for small businesses. But we agree that this small business bailout was horribly mismanaged, and we want some accountability for all this $$$ that appeared out of thin air.

#11606 4 years ago

Whenever I see guns and flags and camo and old white people people yelling, I just shut down. Maybe that makes me a bad person, but IDGAF. I’ll miss this thread.

#11624 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Anyway, the instant PPP shutout reminded me of what some people have described about trying to get Pinburgh tickets. We are on a waitlist.

Great analogy. Gone in 60 seconds.

#11627 4 years ago

There’s something on ABC right with a “Global Citizen” watermark, it’s pretty good. Billie Eilish just finished.

#11628 4 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Never forget. It's amazing how fast 'bootstraps' left some peoples lexicon when they were the ones applying for federal welfare.

I don’t know about that. If the government tells you you can’t work, it’s not exactly welfare. It’s fairness.

#11709 4 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Yes there may be some spikes but there are a lot of states and counties with low rates of infection. Those are the ones that should open 1st.

I agree, but I hope people who live in those areas will follow the guidelines closely. Most of these small towns have a lot of elderly people, and they need to be protected.

#11711 4 years ago

SadSack what do you have against Bill Gates? He’s done more to prepare us for a pandemic than anyone I know. Are you mad because he’s not supporting Windows95 anymore?

#11717 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

He prepared for it all right, he funded its development and is involved in its disbursement. Event 201? Wake up. They stick it in your face and you happily ask for more like the scurrying lemming rushes toward the cliff.
[quoted image]

By that logic, firefighters that practice on empty buildings are arsonists. Bring real evidence, and stop polluting this group with your nonsense conspiracy theories.

#11730 4 years ago

#11744 4 years ago

I shouldn’t respond to troll posts. In the future I’ll post something positive and unrelated.

Right now I’m thinking back to this early February ski trip just before all of this blew up. How about more reminders of happy times that will come back again some day?

3D37A7F3-222A-4667-8939-572122C9739D (resized).jpeg3D37A7F3-222A-4667-8939-572122C9739D (resized).jpegD2255EEE-1247-4A21-8407-3026C45774B1 (resized).jpegD2255EEE-1247-4A21-8407-3026C45774B1 (resized).jpeg
#11786 4 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

The stock market is defiant as hell. What reality does this reflect other than pumping the markets with freshly printed money to make things appear normal?

US public debt is on track to exceed its GDP by September. Once a country passes that 100% tipping point, it’s very rare that it recovers. There are only 2 ways out: inflation or default. I used to think that a US default was impossible, but given the right kind of political dysfunction, it can definitely happen. We’re in for a world of pain no matter which outcome we get.

#11807 4 years ago

Studies have shown that when people get UBI (at a certain level), they do continue to work. I’m not sold on UBI myself, but I don’t think it makes people lazy. Its academic though, because I doubt it would ever happen in the US.

#11810 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Dow posting its best 2-week run in 82 years amid 22 million job losses." Do you see anything wrong with this headline?

This is the textbook example of “getting out too far over your skis”. The S&P is only down 10%, which seems crazy given the kinds of earnings we can expect over the next couple of years.

#11829 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

USA has broken 40k deaths https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/ BUT daily new cases have been stable for 2 weeks..

If deaths continue at the current pace (~2k per day), we’ll be over 60k when things open back up on May 1. I hope the “summer makes it fade” crowd are correct.

#11831 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

One startling (global) number is that for the "closed" cases, 21% are resolving as deceased.

That ratio is somewhat meaningless, as deaths happen much sooner/faster than people are being cleared of the virus.

#11834 4 years ago

Couple of random observations.

My caution level has been dropping slightly. A month ago, I was wiping down every single thing that came into the house. Now, I just put things away. My boss at one point was buying cases of beer, filling up the bathtub and washing the individual cans. Now he’s switched to half-kegs to avoid that. I just put my beers away, and wash my hands after.

There are no quarantine protests happening here in GA. Is that because we have a Republican governor? Or is it because we see what’s happening in Albany? Either way, I’m glad things are quiet here.

#11835 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

That's what I was thinking when I first saw that number, but now that we have enough weeks in our data, it's really starting to worry me. There is certainly always a 2-3 week lag on the numbers of the ratio, and it would be interesting to see it adjusted with that in mind.

One article I read recommended looking at the average time to death (say, 10 days), and using that difference. So, compare today’s deaths to the number of known cases X days ago. But even that’s not great, since a lot of cases are resolving with people never knowing they had COVID-19. I tend to believe the consensus estimate of around 1%.

#11856 4 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

Can anybody provide some numbers on the average number of deaths per day from the flu in the United States for 2019 and for 2020? Additionally, can anybody provide some numbers on the average number of deaths per day from Covid-19 since the first case was reported in Washington state? Thanks in advance!

Coronavirus killed 10 times more people than the flu and pneumonia last week, and more than cancer:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/04/16/coronavirus-leading-cause-death/

BCE62280-063A-4EF3-B7BD-051A0ABECFD2 (resized).jpegBCE62280-063A-4EF3-B7BD-051A0ABECFD2 (resized).jpeg
#11905 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Fascinating thread about protests against mandatory masks in San Francisco 100 years ago
https://twitter.com/timkmak/status/1251936242834563073?s=19

Amazing thread, stealing a pic from there:

A3208661-AC2E-481C-88C0-FE2E0C4F8E06 (resized).jpegA3208661-AC2E-481C-88C0-FE2E0C4F8E06 (resized).jpeg
#11921 4 years ago

Shake Shack returns its $10M PPP loan:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/shake-shack-returning-10-million-government-loan-meant-small-businesses-n1187541

Maybe if other companies were shamed we wouldn’t need another round of $$$.

#11946 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Anthony Weiner ran...

Dude, this is your 3rd political post this morning. Change it up please.

#11952 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Ok.
I’m running out of projects to do and good beer here at the house.
Spent Sunday tiling the damn backsplash in the pantry and drinking Budweiser “heavy”.
Hadn’t had one since my teens. Surprisingly...it tasted great compared to the tile wet-saw spray

Thanks. Your pantry looks way nicer than my kitchen. I need to make sure my wife doesn’t see what you did.

#12000 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I'm back from vacation. Found another great Corona meme while I was gone.

Looks like she’s been celebrating her freedom to eat ice cream.

#12038 4 years ago

Everyone’s chains resting lightly today?

#12121 4 years ago

I’ve been eating out a lot less, and tipping a lot more. Obviously it’s still takeout-only here (for now). I went to my favorite Cuban place today at noon, and got $50 of food and tipped $20. It breaks my heart to see how slow things are for them. Usually on a Friday there’s a line to get in. Today it seemed like I was their only lunch customer. The family enjoyed the break from our own cooking.

#12132 4 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

Can anybody in Georgia or Tennessee comment on why in the ever living fuck their states feel things are good enough to re-open?

I haven’t seen an explanation of why some businesses are okay and others are not. I don’t understand how it’s possible to make restaurants safe when you have to take off your mask to eat. I guess we’ll see what happens. My baseline behavior won’t change. I’ll wear a mask when I go out (for other people, not me), and I’ll avoid places with more than 6 people.

#12136 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

At first people were stockpiling wipes,cleaning supplies, and toilet paper. Apparently French fries are starting to go in short supply as well. As the meat plants shut down pork will likely follow. Any guesses what the next thing will be?

Pork and chicken hoarding.

#12145 4 years ago

Some good news for New Yorkers in this chart.

959A78BF-C640-47EA-B819-60FA6EA1AFB6 (resized).jpeg959A78BF-C640-47EA-B819-60FA6EA1AFB6 (resized).jpeg
#12154 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Allowing myself to become infected would give me the immunity I seek and I could then help people by donating blood, my energy, whatever. (snip) Any feedback or ideas welcomed.

This is a very personal decision, and it’s one we’re all going to have to make at some point. If I was a triathlete living alone, it would be kind of a no-brainer. My 78-year-old mother lives with me and my wife. She has a healthier lifestyle than me, but she’s 78. I’ve got high blood pressure, am about 25 pounds overweight and I drink a lot of alcohol. At some point I’ll need to go back to Philadelphia for my regular 2-week monthly stints. I miss Philly a lot, but I worry a lot about bringing home the virus. I worry about getting sick myself. I don’t know what the right answer is. I mostly don’t want to be a burden to hospital staff. And I guess dying on a ventilator is on my list of things to avoid this year. I’ll tough it out at home with my pins and beer and record player for as long as I can.

#12159 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Ben Affleck showing lack of knowldge. Ridiculous Hollywood moment.[quoted image][quoted image]

Mr68 it’s easy to take pics like that out of context, and I’m surprised you fell into that trap. I can think of many logical explanations for this. Haven’t you ever put your sunglasses on your head when you didn’t need them?

#12178 4 years ago

My local Chic-Fil-A has always been about 80% drive-thru business anyway, with 2 long lines of cars. Nothing has slowed down for them at all.

#12183 4 years ago
EAF09B73-2ECA-41D8-81DB-7920C5EB7296 (resized).jpegEAF09B73-2ECA-41D8-81DB-7920C5EB7296 (resized).jpeg
#12225 4 years ago
Quoted from kstairmantis:

Best Article I have seen on the the virus : https://www.zerohedge.com/health/facts-prove-almost-everyone-wrong-about-pandemic
A buddy has a friend that works USDA food inspection. He mentioned there is going to be a meat shortage.
Another buddy has daughter that is nurse and she said they are seeing some unusual symptoms. Seizures, major freaking out, people not tracking at all. Could just be extreme fear but doesn't sound to me like the flu.
We live in exciting times !

Kerry, thanks for your weldments and all that you do for the hobby.

I agree with most of what this article’s author says, but he’s missing a couple of key points. First, if we wait until the hospitals are overwhelmed, it’s too late. Flattening the curve means getting out ahead of such a crisis. Second, we aren’t just “delaying the inevitable” with lockdowns. Let’s say that the number of deaths with no measures is 1 million, and by delaying the peak(s) we get that down to 750,000 - through better understanding of treatment options, and better access to treatment. That’s still 250,000 lives saved.

I’m also still hopeful that a treatment or vaccine is around the corner, even if it’s a year or more out. Without hope, what do we have?

#12231 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

In regards to an earlier Post I submitted concerning use of UV light to treat Coronavirus internally, which was soundly derided as a "Non Starter" This Technology is now being introduced by Cedars-Sinai for Coronavirus specific treatment and goes by the name Healight. "The Healight technology employs proprietary methods of administering intermittent ultraviolet (UV) A light via a novel endotracheal medical device. Pre-clinical findings indicate the technology’s significant impact on eradicating a wide range of viruses and bacteria, inclusive of coronavirus"

https://aytubio.com/healight/

You can get in on this by buying AYTU (NASDAQ), but it looks like a lot of that was baked in on March 9 when the stock quadrupled.

467 posts in this topic match your search for posts by swampfire. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.