314B85BB-1AE3-48E3-B4E8-2F026B290EDB (resized).png
69C242D5-DF00-4F92-988C-952580E68FFD.jpeg
D704F3B5-284D-4B95-A2C0-E4BB3440BAC2 (resized).png
47278C5B-29D0-43A2-B611-3235EB6A8B72 (resized).png
download (resized).jpg
ha-ha-point.gif
Screenshot 2021-10-06 161555 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

155 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (1 year ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (1 year ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (1 year ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (1 year ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (1 year ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (1 year ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (1 year ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (1 year ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (1 year ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

396 posts in this topic match your search for posts by swampfire. You are on page 1 of 2.
#81 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

C’mon man, you know it’s serious if the Republicans and Democrats are agreeing on everything, which I think is highly commendable on both sides.

Nobody wants to be responsible for 1 million Americans suffocating to death. At this point almost every politician finally agrees on the need for at least an initial lockdown. The real test of political will will come 2-4 months from now.

#252 1 year ago

At this point we're just fighting math. 30% increase per day makes me want to become a loan shark:

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 2.06.08 PM (resized).png
#255 1 year ago

Here’s a good article about what we might expect after the initial lockdown (the “Hammer” in this metaphor):

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

#350 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

We are leaving France and South Korea in the dust. At this rate, tomorrow the US will overtake Iran and be in position #5 as the testing is getting started.

To compare countries you should sort by the last column. The country we just passed is China. US only has about 1/4 as many infections per capita as France (but only because we are a week or 2 behind them). See the chart below.

Quoted from cottonm4:

As for the ratio of deaths to recoveries, the US is not the place to be.
233 deaths vs 125 recoveries.

Recoveries lag deaths by several weeks, since you’re not “recovered” until you’re clear of the virus. Actually there’s no meaningful way to compare any of the columns at this point, because they represent different points in the progression of the disease.
591C82D4-C277-4ECE-8B44-69816F63D242 (resized).jpeg

#391 1 year ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

All of these decisions have been made after examining all possibilities, by people with far more resources to crunch the numbers than anyone on here. I can guarentee that no government in the world would choose to make these decisions, with the huge financial cost, if there was any other choices.

#409 1 year ago

South Korea and Singapore learned a lot from SARS. They have a pretty sophisticated system for tracking contacts, and of course they did a ton of testing early on to isolate people.

#429 1 year ago

One week of total shutdown could actually have a big impact on the growth rate (R). How soon is just as important as how long.

#457 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thanks. I did not know you could stratify this table by clicking the arrows up top. In each column, too. And even alphabetically as shown here.
[quoted image]

Yeah, it’s a pretty sweet site. The only thing I wish they had was “deaths per Million”, so that we could see where we are relative to other countries. The best way to fact-check our infection count is to compare the US to another country that’s reached the same death rate (per Million). Everything should be normalized by population IMO.

#566 1 year ago

Some positive news from Georgia. I think people are staying away from restaurants, even though they aren’t closed yet. After 8 days of eating at home, my wife and I went to our local Cuban restaurant at noon yesterday. Normally there are people lined up waiting for a table on Fridays. But there was only one couple in the restaurant besides us. We sat about 20 feet from them, and service was strangely normal (no changes to the menu, great service as always). I bought a $100 gift card on the way out. We were as careful as possible of course. We washed our hands coming in and leaving, and I washed my credit card when I got home.

I think people are getting hung up on this being an “all or nothing”. Yes, we should stay home as much as possible. But a 90% isolation approach is much better than ignoring the virus entirely.

#597 1 year ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

So everyone should practice "social distancing" except when it's inconvenient or it gets a bit boring?
I wonder how that's going to work out for us?
https://staythefuckhome.com/

A month ago I was called “hysterical” for being concerned about hospital bed shortages. Now I’m being called out for not being perfect. We make a thousand decisions a week, and they won’t all be right. The good news is that we don’t all have to be perfect to make a difference.

#627 1 year ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

It's not convenient for any of us to voluntarily miss out on all of the things we enjoy like going out to eat or play pinball on location. I don't blame you for wanting to do those things. I want do do those things too!!!
When you go out to eat at a restaurant, the waitstaff is within 2 feet of you (or closer) and is breathing all over you. And you and everyone else who's gone in to eat that day, are breathing over him/her.

We’re on the same side (concern). To be in solidarity with my friends in big cities where the SHTF moment is already here, I won’t go to another restaurant or other non-essential commercial setting until the danger has passed for everyone. Thanks for keeping me honest.

#656 1 year ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Not saying we're not headed down the same path as Italy but the US has a much larger population (327m vs 60m). Does that chart take population into consideration?

I would ignore the numbers and focus on the rate of growth, R. Actually though, I’m going to ignore all the charts few a few weeks while our testing capability catches up.

#657 1 year ago
Quoted from boscokid:

NYC and Philly airports closing. Serious enough for people yet??

I just flew home from Philadelphia 8 days ago. I suspect that our Philly-based workforce will be WFH until June, given how close PHL is to NJ and NYC.

#690 1 year ago

(I’m not ribbing you Levi, just happened to see this meme about the same time as your post)

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm ok! Was just doing some stuff away from the phone/computer.
I'll be the first to admit I needed a break. Been taking a few bike rides, playing a little pinball. It's beautiful out there the last 2 days.

6C76E53C-E52A-4CFA-9C7D-D2ADC591F8F6 (resized).png
#697 1 year ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Since we may be slammed back into medieval time I will stop carrying a gun and start carrying this. Good for chopping off heads and running people through. Ye old broad sword

Is it 6 feet tho?

#776 1 year ago

#798 1 year ago

I don’t see a lot of value in rehashing how we got here over and over. There will be time for a post-mortem after we get through this. There’s definitely no danger of someone making a mistake and not getting noticed. This is honestly the best time to say the hell with politics for a couple of months, let’s support each other, and that includes the leaders we may really dislike.

If there’s any good news right now, it’s that we are ALL taking this seriously now, on a bipartisan basis. It’s not a left vs. right thing any more, it’s responsible vs. irresponsible.

#853 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I highly doubt any respected, educated man of science is likely to get awarded that medal anytime soon. Not until hannity gets one at least.

if you watch the whole video, he was awarded the MOF in 2008 by George Bush.

#874 1 year ago
Quoted from wesman:

Nice post!
This man has such a great presence, and instills a genuine sense of calm, while giving detailed and explicit info on viral killers. Pretty amazing life....and he's 79!?!?! Wow!
His accent is fantastic too!

Fauci reminds me of George Burns: everyone loves him. He’s going to be around for another 20-30 years, I hope.

#963 1 year ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

The world needs to hold them accountable.
Watch "wuhan market | Chinese Street Food | Street Food" on YouTube

Wild animal markets are sketchy, factory farming is sketchy, basically meat is sketchy. I’m still going to eat it though.

#976 1 year ago
Quoted from RTR:

Hey guys - we are up to #3.

Well that escalated quickly

#999 1 year ago

I’ll unroll this here, but please donate to this guy’s friend’s cancer GoFundMe if you enjoyed it (2nd link):

https://twitter.com/danajaybein/status/1240307541491494912?s=21
https://www.gofundme.com/f/shannon-fights-cancer

Is this a sore throat?
Is this just allergies?
Caught in a lockdown
No escape from reality.

Don’t touch your eyes
Just hand sanitize quicklyyyyy
I’m just a poor boy, no job security
Because of easy spread, even though
washed your hands, laying low
I look out the window, the curve doesn’t look flatter to me, to me

mama, just killed a man
i didn’t stay inside in bed
I walked by him, now he’s dead
mama, life was so much fun
but now I’ve caught this unforgiving plague

mama, oooooh
didn’t mean to make them die
if I’m not back to work this time tomorrow
carry on, carry on as if people didn’t matter

Too late, my time has come
sends shivers down my spine
body’s aching all the time
goodbye everybody, I’ve got the flu
gotta leave you all behind and face the truth

mama, oooooh
I don’t wanna die
I sometimes wish I never went out at all

I see a little silhouette of a man
what a douche, what a douche
did he even wash his hands though
security is tightening
very very frightening me
Gotta lay low (gotta lay low)
Gotta lay low (gotta lay low)
Gotta lay low masturbate
Masturbate O O O O

I’m just a poor boy, facing mortality
HE’S JUST A POOR BOY FACING MORTALITY
spare him his life from this monstrosity
Touch your face, wash your hands, will you wash your hands?
BISMILLAH NO WE WILL NOT WASH OUR HANDS! (WASH YOUR HANDS!)
BISMILLAH NO WE WILL NOT WASH OUR HANDS! (WASH YOUR HANDS)
BISMILLAH WE WILL NOT WASH YOUR HANDS! (WASH YOUR HANDS!)
WASH YOUR HANDS! (never, never, never wash your hands oh oh oh oh oh oh oh)
No no no no no
Oh mama mia, mia (mama mia wash your hands!)
COVID-19 has a sickness put aside for me, for me
So you think you can stop me and just shake my hand?
So you think we can hang out and not break our plans?
Oh baby, can’t do this with me, baby,
Just gotta stay home, just gotta stay home with my fever
oooooh

Curving can get flatter
Anyone can see
Curving can get flatter
Curving can get flatter, you’ll see

Just look out your windows….

FLATTEN THE CURVE

#1017 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Newest Covid-19 numbers by country

USA is at 81 cases per million, Italy is at 886 (10x), so we have a little time before we catch up. 10 days at least.

[EDIT] Damn, NY state is at 616 per million (12,316/20), not far behind Italy at all. Be safe and be well, my northern friends.

#1030 1 year ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

For what it’s worth, Italy has a nationalized health care system. Like what people are proposing for the USA.

Italy’s is one of the best in the world, actually.

#1142 1 year ago
Quoted from sataneatscheese:

Right now, the odds reflect a 95% chance of there being more than 100,000 confirmed Coronavirus cases in the Unites States by March 31st. There are ~26,000 confirmed cases today. The current numbers reflect a ~l 10% daily growth rate.

It’s a 30% daily growth rate, and I think we’ll be at 100k by next Friday (27th).

#1153 1 year ago

Here’s my question. Only 2% of cases in the US have resolved (Recovered or Death). What is the criteria for “Recovered”, and are people still infectious up to the point where they test negative? As an example, if I had this in mid-February and I feel better now, could I still be infectious?

#1199 1 year ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

VOX is a tabloid, not a scientific journal

I didn’t see any bias or misinformation; it’s a good article. If we’re only allowed to share scientific journal articles, I’m outa here.

#1301 1 year ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Rand Paul, Senate typhoid mary:
During the Senate GOP lunch today, Moran told colleagues that Rand was at the gym this morning, per two sources briefed on the lunch, and that he was swimming in the pool. Rand got his COVID-19 results back this morning.

Not defending him, but do we know he got back his results before going to the gym? If yes, that’s horrendous. But it’s possible that he found out after.

#1305 1 year ago
Quoted from RWH:

Everything I've read or heard reported said after being tested you were to self quarantine until you got a negative result.

Ah right - assume it may come back positive. That does make sense. Especially if you’ve been exposed.

#1310 1 year ago

So New York (state) is now up to 1,136 cases per million, compared to Italy’s 978. I’m keeping you all in my thoughts right now, especially those with elderly parents.

#1409 1 year ago

President is still saying “the Chinese virus”.

#1413 1 year ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I cleaned my guns and took inventory of my ammo this weekend. Guns locked and loaded. I sure as hell hope I don’t need them.

EDIT: never mind, asked and answered

#1420 1 year ago
Quoted from vex:

I think he said China virus, indicating the origin of it. A virus is not a race, but its passport was clearly stamped in China.

Maybe it’s just me, but it seems racist as hell.

#1426 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well, I still call Chow Mein "Chinese food". Am I a racist?

False equivalence.

#1432 1 year ago
Quoted from Powdevil:

I can see the moderators are going to have to start a new Official Coronavirus thread. This one’s gone completely to hell.

We’re not out of ventilators here yet

#1438 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

In other news people in the North can no longer refer to the area at the bottom of the country as the South because they were the enemy.

In other news, the phrase “politically correct” was invented by people who wanted to be able to say whatever they wanted with no consequences.

#1445 1 year ago

I wanted to avoid politics, but it kind of enrages me to hear “we inherited an obsolete system” over and over again. When you’re 3 years into your term, you own what you have. It hits home, because any engineering manager who pulled that shit would be fired. You might get 6 months to blame your predecessor, but after that you own it.

#1460 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Don't forget the airlines!

I can’t, I’ve already lost $6k betting on Delta.

#1466 1 year ago

The biggest danger for me right now is that my head is going to explode watching these press conferences.

A9CC61C6-9354-4ED3-9961-43714044820F (resized).jpeg
#1469 1 year ago

Toilets: flush 10, maybe 15 times
Surgical masks: DON’T THROW THAT AWAY, we have amazing liquids

#1490 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not getting political, but I have noticed recently a lot of working together and less bickering back and forth within the powers that be.
Pinside hasn't reached that plateau yet.

You must not be watching the same press conference that I am.

#1497 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

I haven't watched in a few days. I was referring to when Ca announced it's lockdown.

Honestly it’s just disappointing. Early last week I was willing to give the big guy a break, and he seemed to be turning a corner. Now he’s back to campaigning and blaming. I’m not gonna try to kick that football again, he pulls it away every time.

#1541 1 year ago
F8A4ECC2-B247-4063-95B1-7F46C365FFCF (resized).png
#1581 1 year ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

We've been told we're on day 7 of 15. What realistically happens on day #15?

That’s when they’ll roll out the 90 day plan, and I’m not joking at all.

#1583 1 year ago

Here’s a sobering account from a 31-year-old nurse practitioner in Albany GA (my state).

“COVID19 is not like the flu...at all... How do I know? Because I’ve lived through it to tell the tale!

Memoirs of a 31 y.o. male with no underlying health conditions.

March 3, 2020-Bronchitis like illness started, dry cough, no fever

March 5, 2020-Low grade fever starts, still thinking bronchitis

March 6, 2020-Fever climbs from 99.8 to 102.6 in one hour, thought it was flu and was now outside the Tamiflu window, stayed home for symptom management.

March 9, 2020-Fever of >102 continues, this isn’t flu, go to urgent care, diagnosed with pneumonia, started on Levaquin.

March 11, 2020-3 doses of Levaquin in, no improvement in symptoms, go to ER. Admitted, swabbed for COVID19, IV antibiotics got pneumonia on chest CT.

March 12, 2020-Get to a room and placed on supplemental oxygen via nasal cannula, 1 liter per minute (lpm). I’m only able to achieve 500 on my incentive spirometer, for perspective-my healthy lungs could hit 4000.

March 13, 2020-O2 saturation begins to decline, oxygen increased to 2 lpm, then 3 lpm, then 5 lpm. Oxygen saturation 88% on 5 lpm. The decision is made to use high flow (vapotherm) and move to ICU. Placed on 40 lpm and 60% oxygen. I’m terrified at this point because vapotherm is all that is standing between me and the ventilator. This is the moment I would have died at home had I not come to the hospital when I did. I would have respiratory arrested in my bed.

March 14, 2020-I have a bad coughing spell, my oxygen saturation drops to the 80’s. I’m still on 40 lpm and 60%. I’m trying to gasp for air, but because of the condition of my lungs, can only take small breaths without coughing more. I feel as though I’m about to die, my heart is racing, oxygen still low, and I’m sweating profusely. Im in respiratory distress! I pressed my call light trying to get the attention of anyone who can help. My nurse was in another room tending to another sick patient. Fortunately he sees me and comes to my room. I am now on 40 lpm and 100% oxygen, next step is the ventilator. I’m terrified. My breathing slows as my oxygen saturation slowly returns to the 90’s. I’m weaned back down to 60%. The same thing happens again in the night, and again I thought I was about to leave this world. Again I’m on 100%, this time for several hours. I’m slowly weaned again to 60%.

March 15, 2020-My morning arterial blood gas (which hurts like a ) is normal. I get weaned to 50%.

March 16, 2020-My oxygen saturation is 97%, I’m weaned further to 30 lpm and 40%.

March 17, 2020-I’ve been in ICU 4 days, forced to use a bedpan because my oxygen saturation drops if I turn or even move too much. I am unable to clean myself; I’m feeling completely helpless and so embarrassed, but my nurses were great and very understanding. I now truly understand my patients’ feelings from all these years of nursing. I’m weaned to 25 lpm and 30%. I’m going to the medical floor.

March 18, 2020-I’m weaned to 28%. I can achieve 1500 on my incentive spirometer finally. I’m hopeful to be weaned to a regular nasal cannula. The provider comes in. I’ve been waiting for my swab results. I tested positive for COVID19...6.5 days of waiting for the outside lab to process the lab. I’m relieved because I finally have a diagnosis, a reason I’ve been so sick. I’m weaned to 4 lpm on a regular nasal cannula, 4 hours later I’m weaned to 2 lpm. 4 hours later I’m weaned to room air. My oxygen saturation stats 93% and above all night.

March 19, 2020-As I write this, I’m waiting to attempt a 6 minute walk test to see if my oxygen stays up, so I can go home. I’ve had no visitors this entire time due to my isolation precautions.

Guys, this is why social isolation is a thing. As a 31 y.o., I wasn’t supposed to get sick. I wasn’t supposed to be admitted to the hospital or the ICU for that matter. We’ve already had several deaths from COVID19 in this area. I thank God I wasn’t one of them! However, many won’t be as fortunate as I have been. Many will die, especially those with any lung or heart problems. So please, I beg you to #stayhome “

#1602 1 year ago

I tend to believe those saying that 70% of Americans will get this eventually. My goal is to stay in the 30%. I definitely don’t need this on top of asthma.

#30percentclub

#1707 1 year ago

Looking ahead a bit, here’s my worry. We’ve heard very little about the long-term endgame for this war. We get a shot for seasonal flu, but the virus evolves so it’s not 100% effective. But the death rate is relatively low, so we accept that. If this CORONAvirus evolves and we get hit with an epidemic of this mutation just as they’ve worked out the vaccine for the first one, are we going to be playing cat and mouse with this for the next 5, 10, 20 years? Is it a permanent part of our lives now?

#1849 1 year ago
Quoted from RWH:

C'mon Jody look at the source...……...they made clear long ago whom they would report on and whom not......sound like unbiased reporting to you.

All you have to do is look at the president’s Twitter timeline to know that that’s the plan. Look for the tweet in all caps, and the many retweets. I don’t think the feds can overrule a governor’s orders, and I don’t think the intent is to make people in NYC go back to work. It’s more concerning for states like mine where “things aren’t that bad yet”.

#1963 1 year ago

I’ve been playing a lot of Andromeda lately, and I’m pretty sure she created this virus:
A79A0C51-95D7-47C1-AD30-B55974100AE9 (resized).jpeg
She even has mutant bats!

#2056 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

DeSantis says New Yorkers are fleeing to Florida.

Old people’s turn to go on spring break

#2063 1 year ago

So the new notion is to start sending people back to work in a few weeks, starting with those under 40. I hope that companies will at least make allowances for people with an elderly parent living with them.

Epidemiologists need to start modeling these proposals so they can estimate the # of additional deaths they will cause. Winging it is not a good idea at this point.

#2069 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This just in; touting “cures” that are unproven and unapproved for covid has serious unintended consequences. Let’s try to do this right, folks. Let the doctors and scientists tell us what works.

My wife’s boss said she has “a Christian friend who has a cure” but she can’t say what it is because “they” will come and shut her down. I hope it’s something harmless like holy water.

#2083 1 year ago

“....doctors believe the episodes he experienced were not a reaction to the medicine but his body fighting off the virus.”

I still hold out hope for clinical studies, this seems very promising.

#2087 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

The Virus and Viruses don't give 2 shits what we call them....they'll kill without prejudice.

We didn’t call Ebola “the African virus”.
We didn’t call Mad Cow disease “the British virus”.
We don’t call measles “the European virus”.

#2092 1 year ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

You mean German measles?

“ In 1814, George de Maton first suggested that it be considered a disease distinct from both measles and scarlet fever. All these physicians were German, and the disease was known as Rötheln (contemporary German Röteln), Rötlich means "redish" or "pink" in German. The fact that three Germans described it led to the common name of "German measles."

#2122 1 year ago

Still chewing on these 2 comments:

1. “The mortality rate is a lot lower than we thought it would be.”
2. Paraphrase: Deaths from an economic crash could be much worse than deaths from the virus

#2164 1 year ago

During the Great Recession in ‘09, an economist wrote that we had to choose between “the car crash” and “cancer” (metaphors for a quick death and a slow death). He later made the point that we chose the cancer, and I believed him. I stayed out of the market for years. 10 years later it’s clear to me that we somehow survived that cancer.

We’re facing a similar moment now, but a pandemic won’t quietly go away like all that bad debt did. We have to choose between two car crashes: an economic depression, or millions of deaths. There’s no “cancer” option this time. We can only choose our catastrophe, and both are unfathomably bad.

Welp, I just really depressed myself.

#2196 1 year ago

Regardless of what the feds do, it will really come down to the governors. I watch our governor’s speech today, and it doesn’t seem like he’s ready to accept a legacy of mass death. He seems to be taking this very very seriously. I was impressed, there was no political content in his speech at all that I can remember.

#2204 1 year ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

As it should be. Not every state has the same needs.

If every state had the option of closing its borders, I would agree with that 100%.

#2385 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

On the plus side...it looks like our ratio of deaths of the hard hit countries is much lower.

Death is a lagging indicator, and it started 3-4 weeks later here.

#2388 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

On the plus side...it looks like our ratio of deaths of the hard hit countries is much lower.

If you assume that the US gets to somewhere between Spain and Italy, say 90 deaths per million, that will be around 30k deaths. I'm afraid that we'll get there by the end of April.

#2396 1 year ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

Iran will have 1.4 Milion Dead when the virus is over. China is already over 21 Million Dead. Word is starting to get out because of cell phone numbers canceled. I estimate over 300 Million infected Chinese citizens. 23 Million dead as of today! Italy will end up with about 1.1 Million dead from this virus.

What's your source for 22 million dead in China? The official site says 3277. Don't spread conspiracy theories here, please.

#2441 1 year ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

https://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs/article/2020/02/27/en-carte-visualisez-la-propagation-mondiale-de-l-epidemie-de-coronavirus_6031092_4355770.html
easy to see that you, guys in US, have to worry about the situation
of course, this graph is based on numbers (good/true & bad/false ones, that means % of errors, but anyway... )

Daaaaamn. I usually prefer logarithmic but this tells a story.

98829B1F-FC7A-419F-B192-6CB0AB030FB3 (resized).jpeg
#2452 1 year ago

I saw that people were stockpiling bottled water. I think the chance of water supply problems are extremely low, but it reminded me that I’ve been meaning to stockpile a few weeks of drinking water. For us, that’s 40 gallons. If you’re going to stockpile water, this is the way to do it. It’s treated and should be good for 2-3 years. Those cheap plastic bottles (Dasani, Deer Creek, etc) will start leaching into your water within a year.

It’s like CSI says: “3 minutes with air, 3 days without water, 30 days without food.”

5DF2C097-C552-478F-A2D4-FC911F28DE49 (resized).jpeg
#2512 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Apparently the stock market is in sudden denial.

I need a few more days of giddyup so I can get out of the bad trades I made 3 weeks ago when I thought this was gonna blow over. Some falling knives cut deep, son (is what I will teach my son).

BAEC1D2A-CFBF-4569-B8C7-220D219C29E0 (resized).jpeg
#2523 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

[quoted image]

You forgot “elements of medical”

#2530 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Reverse psychology.
As soon as they pass the stimulus bill, it should start dropping like a hot potato.

“Buy the rumor, sell the news” is the best stock market advice I’ve ever heard.

#2537 1 year ago

By saying that China cooked this up in a bioweapon lab.

#2558 1 year ago

I know next to nothing about this, and I hate to sound like Elon Musk, but I don’t get why ventilators are so hard to make. My CPAP was about $800, and I know that was way overpriced. It’s a pump, some hoses and some mission-critical software. It seems like just a matter of time before the open source folks will have something that’s better than nothing: not FDA approved, but adequate to keep people alive.

#2605 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

This reminds me of high school. Instead of going, my buddy and me would sit in bean bag chairs and listen to 20 minute jams. Did they bring back the 70s just for me?

Sitting in a room and quietly listening to both sides of Aqualung with nothing in our hands and a smile on our faces.

#2644 1 year ago

Someone asked me today what we gain by delaying the inevitable. This graphic describes it much better than I could.

A5DAD0E5-659E-4FAE-A3CC-A1A475A190ED (resized).jpeg
#2700 1 year ago

Yikes, Atlanta could be the next NYC soon:

E5490104-B8CA-4DD2-B9A0-ED7547447CAA (resized).jpeg
#2897 1 year ago

Some gentle humor...

BCF8DF99-63C3-406F-BBAA-E5FD6629B25A (resized).jpeg
#2986 1 year ago

...and a smattering of people saying they don’t like this thread, but yet here they are.

Quoted from mrm_4:

It took a while but I finally caught up. Reading everything to see if there is something I can take away from this thread to make things better for myself.
Here’s what I observed:
59 pages of about 20 or so of the same dudes just trying to be the first to post info that was posted on another site. Then arguing with each other about if their post is true or how they feel about it.
Mixed with a dr chiming in to correct a few things which all got eclipsed by a tidal wave of arguments and trying to be the first to post other site’s info.

#2998 1 year ago

Some in the GOP like Lindsey Graham and Meghan McCain have starting calling out “Health vs Economy” as a false choice. There’s no way that things can just go back to normal while hundreds of thousands of Americans are dying. And while we can’t keep doing lockdowns and social distancing forever, we can do it for a few more months, long enough to give the hospitals and researchers a fighting chance.

I respect that some people believe we can go back to work and still be careful, but I disagree. We’re talking about a nation that’s hoarding toilet paper and fish tank cleaner. It just takes a few fools to make the workplace dangerous again.

#3019 1 year ago

It's not hard to see how we get to hundreds of thousands of deaths.

Here's the math on the low end:

330M population * 25% of population infected * 1% mortality = 825,000

On the high end (the "Easter plan"), we might have this by 2021:

330M population * 70% of population infected * 3% mortality = 6.93 million

The higher mortality rate for the "return to normal ASAP plan" reflects hospitals having to turn people away sooner.

#3022 1 year ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

But what about those that live paycheck to paycheck? Or say, a waitress that is a single mom that relies on her tips to feed her kid? Just things to think about...I realize things can’t return to normal right now...I’m not suggesting they do. I just don’t know where that break point is? My heart goes out to those not working and those affected personally in any way from this virus.

My adult son is in that category, he works at Panera Bread and just had his hours cut from 40 to 20. The math for him and his roommates doesn't work with that kind of income. I've been helping out in a small way by getting something from their drive-thru for lunch every day. I know that it's even harder for single moms.

#3028 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

"Again, it’s based on the modeling. Not looking at where we are, but rather where we are going to be."
Models are worthless without accurate Data and Responsible Usage of said Data.
We don't have a fraction of the Data we would need to do an accurate Modeling.

Not true, we have lots of data on mortality. I know some people have heroic assumptions about how much better the US healthcare system is, but the fact is that the mortality rate ranges from 1-6% depending on the health of the population and how much we do to slow the spread.

I think the WHO estimate is on the high end here, but it's a starting point for a discussion:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

#3121 1 year ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Not by me. The mis-informed who run their mouth were just parroting the talking heads saying masks don't work. This is lie is still being pushed but the body of evidence indicates they do indeed work. Those people who insisted otherwise should be called out. I get it, there was a Nationwide shortage and Medical people needed them
No reason to lie to the American people, they need to prevent this mess so the Doctors have less work to do.

So the medical experts are all lying and you’re the one who has the truth? Would you let someone with COVID-19 cough into your face while you’re wearing a mask?

#3134 1 year ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I taught PPE to 120 workers at a chemical plant and it takes 30 seconds to properly don a mask.

But a virus is very very tiny. It's not a chemical where you can mitigate harm by blocking most of it. I think the virus goes through an N95 mask as easily as a neutrino goes through our bodies.

EDIT: I don't know, but I'll listen to the experts on this one (like our doctor friend here).

#3151 1 year ago

With apologies to The Clash, I thought it was time for this:

Fauci, you got to let me know
Should I stay or should I go?
If you say that I should stay here
I'll stay home 'til the coast is clear
So you got to let me know

It's always tease, tease, tease
You say we might beat this disease
One day it's fine and next it's black
So if you want me off your back
Well, come on and let me know
Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go, there will be trouble
And if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know

My neighbor's music's bugging me
He's playing Cher and Black Eyed Peas
Can't even drink outside in peace
Because we're stuck with this disease
Come on and let me know
Should I cool it or should I blow?

Split

Should I stay or should I go now? (yo me enfrió o lo soplo)
Should I stay or should I go now? (yo me enfrió o lo soplo)
If I go there will be trouble (si me voy va a haber peligro)
And if I stay it will be double (si me quedo sera el doble)
So ya gotta let me know (me tienes que decir)
Should I cool it or should I blow? (me debo ir o quedarme)
Should I stay or should I go now? (tengo frío por los ojos)
If I go there will be trouble (si me voy va haber peligro)
And if I stay it wil be double (si me quedo sera el doble)
So ya gotta let me know me tienes que decir

#3163 1 year ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

It is easier to stop and infection than to treat it. Whoever gets in front of this and demands masks be made available to the general Public will be appreciated.

I’ll go out again when I can wear one of these.

7E1AF5F4-A463-4407-9CB7-0C1E93BEB089 (resized).jpeg
#3207 1 year ago

So I stand corrected, N95 masks do protect us better than nothing. But if you have one and your doctor’s office and hospital don’t, you’re an asshole. Do I have it right now? Just to drive it home, most of us have the luxury of standing well clear of other people, even while at work. Doctors and nurses don’t.

#3232 1 year ago
Quoted from toastbot:

Just 5 more days left of "15 Days to Slow The Spread."
Maybe putting an expiration date in the name of the campaign was a bad idea.

I thought it was a good first effort. People can wrap their heads around 15 days of self-sacrifice, and it WILL make a difference and slow the spread. What comes next will be interesting.

#3262 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Lot easier to keep track of the seriously ill or deaths.

You actually raise a really good point. Why aren’t they keeping a count of people who have been hospitalized with COVID-19?

#3277 1 year ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Here's my Covid 19 lockdown view. [quoted image]

Are you a Hobbit?

#3316 1 year ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Will pinball kill us all? Occam’s Pinball Razor states that the simplest answer is often the correct one. Sadly the correlation between these two maps proves that his theory is correct[quoted image][quoted image]

Rezdog where did you find that 2nd map?

#3468 1 year ago
9BDC0053-ACC2-4A8F-916D-2B56A3F0D5B2 (resized).jpeg
#3472 1 year ago
3F0B223D-0FF3-4295-92DD-6A288BAE9075 (resized).png
#3481 1 year ago

Just one of many good charts from Robert Williams on his Twitter account, @isfBob:

A295B4C0-35DF-45C4-A607-4FC56D45188E (resized).jpeg
#3621 1 year ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Really impressed with his press conferences. Any chance you guys would be willing to swap him out with Biden? No givebacks...

“Now look here Jack...”

#3641 1 year ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Classify risk county by county and encourage only the high risk counties to stay closed? How is that anything other than a recipe to turn all counties high risk?

The thing is, 70% of the population is probably lives a high-risk county now (or will be soon), since this thing seems to be hitting big metro areas first. I wonder how much it's really going to help when the other 30% go back to work.

#3646 1 year ago

Here's some math on the number of infected in the US by Easter, for various (constant) growth rates. We're currently at a 5-day average of 27%. I only picked Easter because it's a convenient future date (17 days from now). I expect the curve to flatten before then, so hopefully these numbers are useless.

Current # of infected (N): 80,854

r = 10%: N*(1+r)^17 = 409k
r = 15%: N*(1+r)^17 = 870k
r = 27%: N*(1+r)^17 = 4.7M <== current path
r = 33%: N*(1+r)^17 = 10.3M

#3731 1 year ago

Remember when it was the government that shut down and the rest of us kept on going? Good times man, good times.

#3743 1 year ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Cheesecake Factory took that into their own hands and said they weren't paying rent at any of their locations for April. Curious to see how that plays out.

It’s a variation on the old saying “If you owe the bank $10k it’s your problem; if you owe them $100M it’s the bank’s problem”

#3765 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Well CDC is saying that you can't catch it from eating food that's been coughed on...not sure if I want to test the odds though.

Just let it sit for 3 days and it should be fine.

#3810 1 year ago

I’m gonna pack 2 rants into one post.

It bugs me that people are making a big deal of the fact that the US has more infections than a country that’s 5 times smaller. We may get to #1 on a per-capita basis, but we’re a long way from there right now,

It annoys me that the statistics are focused on states (like GA) instead of big cities (like Atlanta). All of the metrics should be laser-focused on the top 50 US markets: Chicago, Atlanta, LA, Boston, etc. Yes I’m happy for the folks in small towns who have zero infections. Here in ATL and NYC we have real problems.

#3825 1 year ago

Nominating this guy as the Pinside COVID mascot.

C5580BED-E134-4777-93FA-997C46992091 (resized).jpeg
#4173 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I don’t understand why people get bent out of shape about being moderated, they’re in a tough spot as this topic is damn near impossible to discuss honestly without some political talk. Personally I think they’ve done a pretty good job, all things considered.

I actually donated to Pinside about an hour after I got a moderation notice. You can’t take it personally, just try to be better I guess.

#4229 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

At this point we're just fighting math. 30% increase per day makes me want to become a loan shark:[quoted image]

I posted this chart about 8 days ago, and I was off by a day for the 100k mark. I’ll hedge for the 1M mark, because I think/hope we’re slowing this thing down. With a 20% daily growth rate, we won’t get to 1 million until April 10, which ironically is Good Friday.

Also...we’re probably at the point where we need to start looking at deaths per day to get a better idea of where we really stand. Inconsistent or no testing here makes the # of infected pretty useless as a forecasting tool.

Oh, and it should have said April for the 1M date, not May.
E49778DC-8A19-4840-A22A-9EA1014D91DA (resized).png

Editing to add this: if the growth in the death rate holds steady at 30%, we’ll also be looking at over 60,000 deaths by Good Friday.

#4235 1 year ago

Dropping this as a milestone marker:
26B0BE8B-A386-48D5-BD6D-F1088B6C602C (resized).jpeg

#4270 1 year ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

RIP Borneo, aka Mr. Bitey. :’-([quoted image]

Ha, I used to call my old cat Mr. Bitey. Let’s all raise a toast to black cats who lived better than we ever will. Cheers!

#4344 1 year ago

Apologies if this was already posted. If you ignore the preachy title, this is a really interesting historical account of one small town from 1918-1920.

https://buckrail.com/covid-nothing-new-have-we-learned-anything/

#4358 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Just curious, but what is everyone doing on this shut-in Friday night??

I watched the first 5 episodes of “Devs” on Hulu tonight. It’s pretty damned good sci-fi, Nick Offerman is superb.

#4359 1 year ago

This was Bourbon Street about a month ago, maybe the last such image for 2020.

F97BDF52-A3C5-4C28-955B-BEB3AA0B5F7D (resized).jpeg
#4408 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Got this From Disney yesterday.
New park opening date has been set to...
"Closed Until Further Notice"[quoted image]

#4412 1 year ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

I guess what I’m wondering thru all of this is how these “real” numbers might affect the mortality rate. Would the mortality rate be much lower than what it is currently? Just thinking out loud...any thoughts appreciated as I have struggled with trying to understand this from the beginning...thanks in advance!

There are experts who know how to account for all these factors, and these experts are saying the case fatality rate is 1-3% when patients can get care, higher when they can’t. At a certain point it’s obvious: mass graves, refrigerator trucks for the dead...these things don’t happen with a flu-like mortality rate. And some people die of organ failure while they are intubated for COVID - these don’t get counted in the death toll (“cause of death: heart failure”).

Also, I know everyone is focused on mortality (aren’t we all?), but hospitalization rate matters just as much. The reason the hospitals are overwhelmed is that 20% of people who get this will end up there.

#4415 1 year ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Do you think this accounts for those that are asymptomatic? I don’t know how you could even begin to gather data and account for those that have no symptoms.

You’re right, the Case Fatality Rate (CFR) does not include unreported cases.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/global-covid-19-case-fatality-rates/

I think it’s impossible to know the mortality rate without widescale testing, like South Korea.

#4507 1 year ago

If we get to 1000 deaths a day in the US, I hope people won’t still be talking about the “real” mortality rate.

#4658 1 year ago

I googled “horseshoe bat” and stumbled on a Wired article that predicted this back in 2013.

https://www.wired.com/2013/10/bats-next-sars-pandemic/

“Bats are still hunted and eaten in large numbers in China, he notes with concern. "I think people should stop hunting bats and stop eating bats."

#4685 1 year ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

So now youtube keeps recommending this "Wes" guy who teaches how to do hard time. In California somewhere.

D45850F7-BF30-412D-B2EC-C0EA48EBBA05 (resized).jpeg
#4689 1 year ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

This was specifically about hospitalizations...they had 1 ICU bed left...this was a couple days ago. Not a bunch of nervous nellies bum rushing them...sick people.

Dougherty County. They have 10% of the confirmed cases in GA and probably 0.000001% of the hospital resources. It is serious.

#4716 1 year ago

It’s a freaking puppy with wings! I want 10

#4827 1 year ago

Here’s Cyd (for Cyd Charisse) demonstrating how to quarantine. She spends at least half the day in this spot, and in this position.

1EC4C54F-25E6-4A45-8851-748F97A316AA (resized).png
#4991 1 year ago
Quoted from kpg:

Many international flights first stop in New York before taking a layover flight to the west coast. Airports likely were a breeding ground?

When I got home to the Atlanta airport 2 weeks ago, people were still cramming into the “plane train”. It was the first time I took the moving sidewalks all the way from terminal D, and I made damned sure I wasn’t getting close to anything or touching anything I didn’t have to. No escalator rails, nothing.

#5172 1 year ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

The more I look at these numbers, the more I think China lied about their totals. China only had 2 deaths /1M pop. That number is WAY better than any other country.
[quoted image]

I’m going to get dunked on for saying this, but I believe those numbers. China has 1.4B people, and they almost immediately used military force to contain most of the outbreak to Wuhan. They also have a population that experienced and learned from SARS, just like South Korea and Singapore.

#5291 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Do you ever get caught up in the infomercials though?
I was almost convinced to get a slap chop the other day.

Many years ago, when my son was just 9, he begged us for weeks to buy a slap chop. We thought it was funny so we got him one for Christmas and put it under the tree with the “real” gifts. He was not happy or amused.

#5360 1 year ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

It’s morning again in America

It’s mourning in America.

#5590 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

And they probably won't need a bailout to do it.

Don’t forget that the US made good $ on the GM bailout. I still won’t buy their cars though. My first new car was a Pontiac and I became a permanent “nope” on GM cars when my friend closed the door and pulled off the armrest, shrugged, handed it to me and said “um...here, sorry”.

#5598 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

I just realized there are more than twice as many cases of the virus in the USA than the amount of posts I have made on Pinside, and it did it in a fraction of the time.

Please don’t go exponential on us

#5600 1 year ago
Quoted from cait001:

Can we all do gameroom posts here now? Sounds like a great way to close out a Monday

Mean Girls. They share my home office with me and say “get back to work fool” whenever I look at them.

71CBD0CD-409D-48B5-AAA8-7B1406CC2F85 (resized).jpeg
#5603 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball_Gizzard:

Tonight’s diversion. Stripping my first playfield!! Here’s hoping I don’t F it up too bad...
I’m going overboard with labeling and pictures but hey, it can’t hurt.[quoted image]

Wow, I recognized that immediately - Jack In the Box? I remember swapping out those 10 drop targets for sure.

#5605 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Yes, please share what you are doing with your downtime.

I’m taking off next week to celebrate my birthday and Spring, something I started about 10 years ago. I will definitely finish my Mata Hari playfield swap, and I hope to start on Skateball (although I’d much rather have Odin’s).

#5609 1 year ago

I’m loving the positive vibe here today. I have to say it guts me to hear what some of ya’ll are going through, and I wish for you a change for the better. I got laid off about 3 years ago, it was damned near impossible to find work and then I suddenly ended up in my favorite job ever. I want that for everyone who’s struggling right now.

#5624 1 year ago

Alright, here’s my thread challenge. Go to your device’s photo feed, scroll back and post the first picture that makes you smile. Explain why it makes you happy. Obviously no porn or politics or memes - ideally it’s something you or a friend/family took.

For me, it’s this picture. We had a little ski trip to Beech Mountain NC about 6 weeks ago, and my niece brought her dog Jax. He was always happy, and was a good boi while we were out skiing. He loved his first trip to the mountains.

D99F8A73-42BF-462A-8C77-27C339CED4EC (resized).jpeg
#5668 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Ya know, it's not the first time I've been told to stay home.

“You can sleep anywhere you want and with whoever you want, but you can’t stay here!” - bouncer, circa 1985 (3am)

#5683 1 year ago
73445A08-A9EE-49A4-B5EF-95FA8B2688AF (resized).jpeg
#5995 1 year ago
Quoted from Atrain:

I'm a big fan of o-din changing up the avatar. Never know what's going to be next

I’m thinking of bringing back the smoking kid as my avatar theme. To go with Odin’s smoking dog, who I hope will come back some day.
FDF2F0C3-E1D2-46FD-98FA-7699829DFA93 (resized).jpeg

#6069 1 year ago

PinJim I’m also pessimistic but there are a few things that could still turn this around. The malaria drug is a big one, and we should know in 2-4 weeks how it works on a study of several thousand people. There’s also a strong incentive to protect those who are most vulnerable, like my elderly mom who lives with us. We just have to be careful not to let our guard down for a few years, which is difficult but not impossible. I hope by now most elderly folks are taking this seriously, and will stay in self-preservation mode.

#6074 1 year ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Secondly, the entire population doesnt get infected. The current infection rate is around 10%.
Thirdly, once herd immunity is established, around 60% of the population, the virus R0 or rate of infection quickly drops below 1 and the virus dies as it's no longer spread.

How do you get to 60% “herd immunity” with a 10% infection rate?

#6122 1 year ago

This is great info if you’re sitting on expensive upcoming flight reservations, like me. We booked flights to Barcelona in May, and I thought the best we could get was a voucher for future travel. However this says that if you wait for the airline to cancel the flight, they MUST give you a refund (if you ask for it):

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/refund-or-change-flight/

#6155 1 year ago

We can only control our own beliefs and behaviors. I feel lucky to be in a situation where I can stay at home as long as I need to, even if it’s a few years. It would be a drag on my savings, but I’d rather be poor in 2022 than dead.

#6211 1 year ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

So you will die if you leave your house? Have some self control and stop spreading fear. The chances that you will be dead in 2022 are pretty slim.

Of course I plan to leave my house - groceries, biking, etc. I’m not sure how you know what my chances of death are without knowing my age or medical condition(s). How about you do you, and I’ll do me?

#6411 1 year ago

I turn 56 in a few days, so I snuck out and bought myself a present. I wish the playfield was as nice as the backglass, but it’ll do for $400. I’m taking next week off just to work on pins and watch movies in the home theater. Social distancing vacation.

36628B9D-B10E-40E8-A56C-6BFDF32C116B (resized).jpeg
#6416 1 year ago

My doctor’s office sent out what I think is the best take on PPE that I’ve seen:

PPE USE: Use of masks and gloves when leaving your house is a controversial subject and changing recommendations. We believe a face mask can be used to lower your transmission of SARS-CoV-2. Supply of PPE has been limited and yet the broader use of PPE is recommended as the prevalence of COVID-19 increases.

In other words, now that 5-20% of the population is infected, masks make sense to help prevent *transmission* of the virus.

#6420 1 year ago

Why should Jack Danger have all the fun with the knuckle tats?

10220D7E-1916-4348-8093-3BA72A6C5F98 (resized).jpeg
#6543 1 year ago
6AB2A12A-665A-44CF-8CE9-A2737A52B8C7 (resized).jpeg
#6586 1 year ago